Reviews of Hotel Caravaggio 3 stars

Piazza Indipendenza 5, San Lorenzo, 50129 Florence, Italy

#175 of 384 hotels in Florence

The information folder in our room was empty. We would have liked to be free to use the stairs instead of the lift (they were for emergency use only).

We liked the wide choice at the breakfast table and the cleanliness of the room. We liked the efficiency and friendliness of all the staff that we met.

• Double or Twin Room

we were given a room for disabled people. the facilities there were not comfortable. when booking the hotel, we requested a room with two beds, but hotel told us they have no record for our request.

• Double or Twin Room

There was very little room to maneuver in the room itself

It was an older hotel that has been totally updated in the rooms, but kept old world charm in the rest of the hotel. The staff was great and had a view of the cathedral’s dome from our room.

• Double or Twin Room

I requested two single beds but that did not get repaired to the hotel. We had to change rooms after the first night.

Cleanliness was excellent. Breakfast delicious with fresh rolls and croissants baked onsite daily.

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms was quite small and very little pieces of soap were available in the bathroom.

This is definitely a 3 star hotel, no frills. But our stay was comfortable, it was on the 3rd floor and away from the main street, so it was quiet. The staff was very helpful as well.

Dark room overlooking dark dirty shaft with pigeons flying down...could not open window for smell Old furniture with very little space ... dingy

Locatiin

My room was a little small - but absolutely had everything I need. The room was right next to the breakfast area...this is perhaps the only negative

Lovely small hotel with friendly staff ... everything you need with great breakfast. Lovely to get away from the crowds yet be within a 5 min walk to the sights

• Quadruple Room

Quad room 107 was small and there was no place to unpack clothes. Location was a bit of a walk from center, but an easy walk from train station.

Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent breakfast and pretty breakfast room. There is hot coffee/hot milk on buffet, but you have to ask for cappuccino/latte.

• Double or Twin Room

Friendly and helpful staff. Small but very quiet room with a big bathroom.The good cakes served at breakfast seem to come directly from the bakery. Good availability of restaurants nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

The noise of exhaust fan in bathroom was constant from 8 am to 9 30 PM. One night heat did network well .

Breakfast was served till 10 am ,there was a good selection of food .concierge was very helpful very friendly .

• Double or Twin Room

Price. We were charged about 20 Euro more than the original price. This is not the tax. That was separate

It was perfect in terms of the location. You could walk to all sights. A variety if places were easily accessible by foot. Train station was 5 min walk away.

breakfast menu was quite standard only 2 kinds of cheese ;-) I want moore

Such a beautiful place in the center of Florence. My window view was at main Duomo. The room is brand new in unique talion old style. My love was wooden wardrobe! I will definitely come back! Необыкновенно! Спасибо!

• Double or Twin Room

I reached to my hotel and want to check in they told me that booking.com is not trustworthy and I should have paid from there website, they told me website, I told them look I have paid 580 euros and they said not to us I m serious they took another 580 euros from my cart my cart was blocked 1160 euros and 2 days passed since I check out did not paid me back never save yourself just save yourself.

Absolutely noting is likable workers are like awww I can speak french itian can you speak, no, aw nooooo they are as rude as possible I went there with my wife and next time I ll make sure that I pay more not to see these fake-artists that can talk every language.

• Quadruple Room

Actually even if I searched a hotel with breakfast ,in the end there was no breakfast booked by booking????When I asked the receptionist about it, he told me that NO breakfast was booked for me and my family and I should complain to booking.com. I was really annoyed by this situation and it was not my fault!!!!When I asked for breakfast the price was 40 euros for my family and I preferred to have breakfast at a different place....

Bed was very firm :(

The hotel was ideally placed for walking in and around the city. We had an upgraded room with a window view towards the Duomo. Sunrise was awesome.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was terrible. Overall, the hotel was probably expensive for the facilities and the services offered.

Good location. Near the main train station and the city centre. Clean and quite spacy for two people. Staff in the reception was polite.

When doing the check out, the receptionist insisted that we had to pay for the stay, when in fact we had already paid in advance via Booking.com. He eventually checked on his computer, but he could have done that before we checked out.

Good location, clean room, good breakfast!

• Double or Twin Room

Bathroom smelt of burning, door to room was left open on our last day when we returned, nothing taken thankfully.

Great location, great price, clean and tidy rooms, really friendly and helpful staff

• Double or Twin Room

Location is perfect, close to historc center and SMN railway station. The room was cleaned every day. It was spacious enough for two of us though the bathroom was a little bit smaller than expected and water pressure in the shower was rather lower than one would want. Heating sytem ran well. Breakfast was very sunbstantial and food was enough for every one. The staff was very freindly and helpfull. Leanardo, Monica and others were always eager to assist. Would advise to stay at this hotel to all who love friendly and family atmosphere. Recommend to improve water pressure in the shower room.

• Double or Twin Room

The Main Street (via nationale) could be a bit noisy late at night, which some people would not like but I was fine with it as I live by a busy thoroughfare and am used to that.

The room was great with a window onto a main thoroughfare and park. It was clean and well stocked. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel was very well situated, 10 minutes from the train station, 5 minutes to the central market and an easy walk to the other main attractions. A good selection of restaurants nearby - different prices, multiethnic choices, etc. And there was also a grocery store down the street. Great value for the money!

The breakfast was just about adequate, but a let down on the breakfast we had been provided with at an hotel in Pisa where we had stayed the 3 days prior. As breakfast was one of 3 deciding factors when choosing the hotel we were disappointed.

The location was the real plus for us. Within easy access to the train station and near all main tourist sights.

• Double or Twin Room

As with most hotels in Italy and Europe generally the breakfast was a little sparse (but of good quality).

The clerk allowed us to chose our preferred room helping to ensure our stay was comfortable. Our room was a good size, it was clean, and it looked over a public square. The hotel location was very good, about five or ten minutes to Santa Maria cathedral and about the same to the train station.

Not long before I arrived I read over a couple of reviews, one of which mentioned how his room reminded him of a jail cell. This shocked me because the pictures online implied lots of sunshine and nice views from the room. Well, I got one of those jail cell rooms, and from looking at the floor map it looks like a significant number of their rooms are "jail cells" due to the shape of their building. Had I known this I would not have stayed here and despite the friendly service and tasty breakfast I do regret staying here. It is so depressing to have such a dark room, who's only window looks out into what I can only describe as a chimney column that is not actually a chimney. It is a strange "courtyard" style square in the building that is something like 2m x 2m, so your window view is just walls in all directions and no sunlight. The rooms are super dated and dark on their own and the lack of sunlight pushes this theme too far! This really put a dark cloud on my stay in Florence and I actually ended up leaving the day before I was supposed to (even having paid for that last night) to get out of this hotel and on to my next destination. The room was uncomfortable for many other reasons. The walls are very thin--I was backed on to the breakfast kitchen and could hear every little noise. The shower head was mouldy and with the sewage smell that permeated the hotel and its surrounding neighbourhood, this made for some unpleasant showers. The bed was horrendously uncomfortable. It was one of those that feels like it is about 70 years old and made of a plywood board and a centimetre or two of foam on top. It really helped feed into the jail cell aesthetic! Another thing that I didn't like was with regards to leaving the keys at the front desk any time that you leave the hotel.

The best things about Hotel Caravaggio are the people that work there. I think that I dealt with at least four different men manning the reception desks and all were very friendly. The woman managing the breakfast service in the morning does not speak much English, but is super friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is also really nice. It is a cold breakfast, but a great selection of meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, cereals, breads, fruits, vegetables, jams, hot drinks, cold drinks, etc. The other nice thing about breakfast is that when they say breakfast is served until 10am, they mean that you can come to breakfast at 10am, and for the duration of your meal they are still refilling all of the plates, versus many other places where the plates would stop being filled around 930! The location is also pretty awesome--it's less than a ten minute walk from the train station, on a street with plenty of restaurants and grocery stores, and an easy 8-20 minute walk to most of the sights to see in Florence.

• Double or Twin Room

They do not give a box breakfast if you leave early in the morning...why??? We paid for it. It is not a big issue to prepare a box with something to eat!!!! They were not accomodating for a little thingh like that

We could smell smoke of cigarettes everywhere. Even in the lift

• Double or Twin Room

Great location. Good restaurants nearby. Staff very friendly with lots of local knowledge. Great view from bedroom. Lovely clean bathroom. There is a garden where you can sit outside. Upstairs there is a small balcony where you can eat breakfast. Good healthy breakfast too.

Nothing really!

The staff were really friendly and helpful. The little sheltered garden was an added bonus, for enjoying a cool drink on a hot day. The breakfast was good too.

Bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. Room air conditioning was not working properly. Not crazy about the location. Did not like walking back to the hotel late at night. Far away from main duomo and piazzas.

Bathroom was very clean, although a bit worn. Linens were very clean. Staff were super nice, helpful, and immediately attentive.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was very good. Location was the best--central and within walking distance. The reception was great and very helpful with giving us directions.

• Double or Twin Room

Shower could be better, as I was in a room with a very small box. Cleaning is average.

The hotel is very well located and have all facilities. Rooms are comfortable and breakfast is one of the high points. Not luxury, but cozy, with AC and amenities.

• Double or Twin Room

We had a room with street view and it was quite nosy. I would've appreciated if they could had the option to reserve a room with back view if available.

The staff is amazing and the location is great. The room is quite nice and big enough and very clean.

• Double or Twin Room

I had a room at the front and it was noisy in the mornings. Breakfast could have been better ( coffee and croissants were both a bit disappointing).

Location good, hotel staff very nice, rooms comfortable with nice decor & very clean. Lovely small garden. AC worked perfectly!

They ssid that had ordered in my credict card a pre authorization, but the amount was debited in my crecict card. During the pre they charged 50 euros as a security for the mini bar, but it didn't go back to my credict card yet as they said it would.And they charged 10 extra euros for the city tax that i thing that was included,

The location is very good!!

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms were ready before the time of the check-in. Staff were very friendly, polite and helpful. Lovely view of the Brunelleschi dome, Giotto's bell tower and San Lorenzo from our window. Highly reccomended hotel!

Nothing really.

We had Bed & Breakfast. Both were highly satisfactory. The Trattoria next door was good for evening meals. The staff at Hotel Caravaggio were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our stay.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel was nice clean and convenient. The staff friendly...however when I commented (with no demands) on the fact that our friends room was significantly larger although at the same price as ours, the answers or maybe the excuses I received were not acceptable at all , to put it nicely.

Very small double room described as de-luxe double, when queried were told it referred to 'panoramic view'. If you looked out the view was of the scruffy backs of neighbouring properties, looking down there was a collection of chairs and tables presumably neighbouring hotel grounds, on leaning further out the roof of the Duomo could just be seen. The bathroom was small and the shower minute! No space to sit comfortably and just enough room to walk around the bed.

Very helpful staff, room kept very clean.

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms faced the noisy street & it felt like you were right outside...no sound barrier from the windows. Luggage had to be kept closed.

The hotel was within walking distance to the main Florence center & sites. Rooms are small but typical for older hotels. All the Front desk staff were especially helpful & pleasant. Breakfast was sufficient & the outdoor patio was a nice retreat in the evening.

Breakfast,

The croissants would have been ok but never got the chance to try always gone and no more available only bread and cake Tea was not good either due to the milk I felt the breakfast was poor' We had a great window in our room over looking the park , the hotel was very central for every thing

I have no complaints - I loved eveeything!

I love this hotel - it's like staying with friends at their villa. The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've had in Italy - lots of healthy options!!

Classical Italian! Everything was the equivalent of a 4 star hotel. The staff were so helpful and took so much time with us on arrival to provide us with so much information. Nothing was any trouble and their friendliness throughout our stay made our holiday that little bit better.

It is an older style hotel & very basic in every way. As Breakfast was not included in my booking I felt there was no value for money. Rooms are not soundproof & you can hear other people in their rooms

Staff were excellent- friendly, welcoming & helpful if needed

The room was very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was very generous and varied. The railway station and the tourist attractions are a short walk away. The staff are very friendly and are happy to help at any time.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Beds were so uncomfortable way to hard, the plugs didn't work properly for some of our adaptors and the kettle didn't work, hairdryer stoped working as well breakfast wasn't the best either.

Florence is beautiful hotel was in a fab location and the room had a real rustic look to it

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

don't get a room overlooking the Piazza - it is a very noisy bus station. the hotel gladly moved me to a quieter room after the first night. the rooms are a little tired but still comfortable.

Good location. Guiseppe on the front desk is a terrific guy - lots of fun and a wealth of knowledge of the local attractions and good restaurants.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

No facilities. Ask for wine glasses told no. There is a bar... Noone ever there to serve you. 3 stars is too high. Breakfast not worth anything.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was within easy walking distance to all of the sites of historic interest, it was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Probably breakfast as its just average.

We are only two people but we had a 4 people room so there are plenty of spaces for us to put our bags, staffs are friendly and breakfast is ok. I like their bathroom with towel warmer, location is great if you travel by train after all its not far from the train and easy to get into Florence city center. If you want to see church, uffizi museum like I did I think its not a long walk (approx 20 minutes).

• Double or Twin Room

Very clean and comfortable room. Good location for walking to the main sites and to the train station. Plenty of lovely restaurants within a couple of minutes walk.

• Double or Twin Room

The view from our room was amazing: we saw the duomo and the whole neighbourhood. Not all rooms have the same view though so it's important to let the hotel know what your preferences are in advance. Hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful! The interior of the hotel is also lovely, suits the name very well!

The breakfast coffee could be better.

Great location, amazing staff--very helpful and accommodating. Solid and fast wifi. Easy access to the primary sights of Florence, the train station and the bus station. Nice little park across the street.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was rock hard with a separation in the middle. Sheets were rough. Room was humid. Woke up each morning with new bug bites over my neck/face/hands/ankle - even after keeping my windows closed each night after the first. Cleaning service opening them up each day. Lots of mosquitoes in the room. The shower was so small that once I was able to close it behind me I was unable to move to wash myself. I'm an average size and weight guy. First hotel I've been at where you have to hand over the keys of your room to front desk each time you left and interact and request your keys at front desk every time you returned. Oddly made me pay the city tourist tax portion of my stay in cash even though the rest was on my card - this was not required in my other Italy hotels. I've stayed at much cleaner and nicer places for less money in Rome and Cinque Terre this trip.

• Double or Twin Room

Located in busy area of Florence, too busy in fact, the hotel was definitely over pricey and certainly not up to standard. Stayed for 2 whole nights but quite surprised to find out that the room hadn't been done at 2 pm with staff hanging around having a chat, little back yard garden was never cleaned (dirty ashtrays from the night before, beer cans, etc etc), rather shabby place with no effort to keep it well maintained, breakfast bit dreary, see photo

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The air conditioner worked the first night but not the second. The room was in need of updating; everything looked old and withered. The bed was not comfortable: mattress hard , pillows hard , blanket rough. Shower was small and water went everywhere.

The staff was very friendly. The location was good, close to the train station and the main attractions: Duomo was about a 10 minute walk. The room was relatively big, the bathroom was also big ( although shower was small), and it was clean.

• Double Room (1 Adult)

A clean,comfortable room and a very nice breakfast with plenty of choice including fresh fruit salad and prunes as well as cereals,pastries and cold meats etc.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Had to change room because safe did not work and door did not lockwell. However, the hotel gave me a new room that was just fine.

Great location. Simple and plain but clean and reliable for a very low price.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The only thing we didn't like obout this place was that our room was really bad with sound. We could hear our neighbours talking, opening wardrobe, using bathroom etc.

Excellent breakfast, excellent wifi sygnal, very good location. I recommend this place.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Staff were very friendly and helpful; giving tips to get around and what to see including things that aren't on the tourist maps. Rooms were warm and clean and had all the essentials. Breakfast had plenty of choice for a European breakfast. Located in easy walks of most sights and the train station. Area is busy but we never heard anything except the odd siren in the city.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

All satisfactory.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was very good - a wide selection of bread/rolls, cold meats and cheese, cereals, yoghurts etc. Good size room and bathroom. A 10 minute walk to the city centre, and about the same to the train station.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Amazing breakfast if I take the price into consideration. Various and really delicious, be sure to try the salami. Yogurt and cookies also nice. The whole property is classy and antique. Not gorgeous but in a cozy and simpatico way. Location is great. 10 min walk to the railway hub, and few mins walking you'll see the center market, a must-visit place in the city. Then another 5 mins walk you can reach the city center or the famous church or lots of shops. I love this hotel and one day I'll come back!

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

The room size was small, even for a triple room.

Excellent location, minutes away from train station. Good choices in breakfast. Self service laundry nearby. Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

The pillows were hard and not comfortable. Bed was firm, but that's easier to deal with if the pillows were softer.

Loved the location and breakfast. Room was clean and easy access to the Train Station. Good restaurants nearby. The host was able to get us tickets to both the Uffizi and the Academia which were sold out online.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Hot water failed on our first morning - it was a fault throughout the hotel. Staff very apologetic, and the problem fixed by the end of the day. Breakfast lacking in plain croissants, but the Italians adore sweet things, so lots of cakes - if you want them!

Bed comfy - staff very helpful - good location. Close to main station. Could walk to most things, but lots of buses too. Good breakfast - lots of fresh fruit -

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Bed is a bit on the hard side. Room sound insulation can be better as a loud-mouth neighbor may disturb your sleep. Shower room may be small for some but ok for me

Location is close to all museums and cathedrals. Main train and bus stations are within 10-15 minutes walk, making it very convenient for day trips to nearby towns such as Pisa and Siena. Breakfast is wonderful with different cold cuts of meat, cheeses, fresh fruits, juices, yogurts, croissants and pastries. Staff is helpful.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The room to our right and ours were divided by the flimsiest material. We could hear the man breathing in his sleep (we could reveal the room numbers) We read in the reviews that there was hot food at breakfast. There wasn't, not even toast.

The bed was very comfortable. The view was excellent. The breakfast pastries appeared to be home made and very tasty.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Some concierges could have been more proactively friendly and helpful.

We were given everything we requested - room with a view (fantastic), double bed (king size), super clean, breakfast excellent, great location. Multi-lingual concierges.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

My room was at the 1st floor, where is also the breakfast room...so since 6.45 no more sleep because of the dishes' noise...and during the afternoon there was a lady from the staff talking sooo loud that was no way to rest for a while...but hey, who can rest while you are in Florence? All the time u must visit the city beauties!👍😊

All was just perfect! Giuseppe at the reception advised me how to manage around the city, he really was the best point of my staying there...the room was perfectly clean and cosy...the breakfast more than enough! The hotel is close walking from all historical spots! Florence is impressive, couldnt imagine it any better! Thank you!

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was larger than expected & the bed was comfortable. Water pressure in the shower was good! Friendly staff. The hotel is a bit off the beaten path, which we liked.

• Double or Twin Room

Location perfect for station, with a green piazza in the front, and a garden oasis at the back. Really well-appointed and decorated; extensive breakfast. Help there when needed.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I left articles of clothing in the armoire, and the staff found them and stayed in touch until they could be retrieved. The staff was always friendly and obviously made an effort to be helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

We had to leave early one day for a tour and had found a place that opened early for breakfast. Breakfast began at 7:30 am at the hotel and that was too late for us. There was no one at the front desk to leave the key and front door was locked. We did manage to wake someone, however, it was our understanding that the desk was managed 24 hours. It all worked out.

The location was close to the train station and this suited our needs. We could walk to the station and to the center of Florence. We liked that the front desk kept your key whenever you left the hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel is very well located just in city center overlooking small square. We were lucky to have a spacious room, which was very clean and equipped with coffee/tea maker. I'm used to the flat Italian pillows, but here were at least two of them per person, so that worked out well.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast excellent in terms both of choice and quantity. Lovely outside terrace too as well as the inside dinning area. Loved the little garden on ground floor. Great view from top floor room at back of hotel. Brilliant will recommend and would love to return.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Only downside was that the bed was too hard for my wife I found it ok ....so just a personal view

Friendly and helpful staff ,excellent position for sightseeing, clean and well maintained ,breakfast good (very Italian) air con, shower etc. All worked well!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The photos of the hotel and accommodation online didn't do justice to what was there. We might easily have chosen somewhere else.

The staff were very helpful in giving us advice about the best way to see Florence. The kettle in the accommodation was very welcome. The breakfast was good and the breakfast room was very pleasant. All the Florence sights were within reasonable walking distance.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Rooms are small, OK for one person.

Excellent location for conference centre. Small rooms, comfortable bed, very clean, lovely staff. Breakfast is large and delicious. Good shower.

Browse Hotel Caravaggio traveller photo gallery