Reviews of Hotel Pausania 3 stars

Dorsoduro 2824, Dorsoduro, 30123 Venice, Italy

#202 of 301 hotels in Venice

Nice honeymoon in Venice

nice old palazzo firnished in 14th century style, big lounge with balcony, nice view to the canal, fruit and vegetable boat, Gondola service, bakery, drugstore and little supermarket near by - special place for our honeymoon - friendly and helpful stuff

A decent place to stay.

Room is 2 times worse that pictures show. Definitely not one of the higher end hotels. Choices at breakfast are very limited, not vegetarian friendly. A little bit of mold in the bathroom.

Location is amazing, almost no tourists in the area. Some lovely places to have a spritz and some tapas right next door. Staff is super friendly and helpful and is easy to communicate with.

Service between very friendly and OK depending on who was...

Service between very friendly and OK depending on who was working at the reception. Very good location, within walking distance of both the ferry terminal and railway station. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Breakfast quite basic as is usual in Italy but good enough.

It was great! I'll be back!

The seal on the glass door in the shower area was not tight enough so when you showered, water leaked all over the bathroom floor. That is a safety hazard and should be addressed. The renovations in the entry hallway took away from the experience upon entry a bit.

The location is outstanding! The room was very spacious. Front desk staff were extremely helpful in making reservations and directing us by map.

Great hotel and good value

It is a lovely hotel with friendly and welcoming staff. I like that the hotel isn't in the main touristy part but equally everything is close in Venice so it didn't take long to walk anywhere. It is great to have breakfast included as well.

We almost got robbed on the street of our hotel arriving late(12:30AM) Be safe!

We almost got robbed right outside our hotel.. and there was nothing that can be done. Also, pictures made our room seem a lot grander than it actually was. The staff was kind though.

We were right beside the water. Bathrooms weren't bad. Staff was very nice.

Lovely hotel in great location, rooms are a little small but...

Lovely hotel in great location, rooms are a little small but this is Venice, unless you pay £1000’s they will be, helpful staff and bags of character, would recommend

Pleasant and romantic hotel, I recommend for couples, would stay there when in Venice.

The stairs to the room could have been better, the breakfast is good but not much varieties.

Artistic and classical room, canal view, spacious room and bathroom, great amenities, clean, historic (as all of Venice), in the middle of Venice, close to all attractions, walking distance to everything.

Excellent quiet location but within easy reach of restaurants and beautiful canal scenes

Would have liked to be offered milk, preferably hot, with coffee . Big stone staircase to my room was characterful but daunting.

Liked the fruit salad and croissants with jam in middle at breakfast. Helpful staff. Clean bathroom.

Great location, staff and value for money.

At the entrance there was a big scaffolding as the exterior stone staircase was being restored. We found difficult to go upstairs with the suitcases as the stairs were going to one side. We were happy it wasn't raining or windy it would have made it almost impossible.

Great location, staff and value for money.

A perfectly nice stay - for us, the good location outweighed the negatives.

The staff were not particularly friendly, and they do lock the front door in the evening unless you leave the key behind the counter with them (but they don't tell you you need to do this!). Breakfast is nice enough, but no variation and the speed of being offered tea, and items on the buffet being replaced isn't great.

The location was excellent - very central and right by the canal. The bed was comfy, and the room nice, and there was a mini-bar fridge with enough space to store your own milk/drinks if you wanted.

Very helpful and friendly staff & awesome hotel!

The staff name is carlo He was very helpful and friendly! He would help everything you needed I felt comfortable staying here! I would stay here again if I visit venice someday! This hotel is 14th century and you would feel like you are in old times. Very clean and comfort! I recommend this hotel!

Beautiful hotel with character

Nothing we didn't like really. Bed was comfortable and the room was beautiful with a frescoed ceiling and chandelier. Only complaint is against Booking.com who charged us for breakfast when the hotel include it in the price of the room.

Loved the history and architecture of this beautiful little hotel. The staff were welcoming and attentive and couldn't do enough for you, the concierge even rang and booked a table for us at a perfect little restaurant around the corner, La Bitta which had been recommended, when I had trouble getting through. Continental breakfast was delicious and varied with fresh croissants and pastries and beautiful blood orange juice

excellent stay , we love Venice, well done Hotel Pausania

not a lot, could do with more plug sockets, and hooks in bathroom/bedroom for towels/coats

very comfortable bed but we were in the double superior room. the staircase would be difficult for anyone with mobility issues as it is outside the building and quite steep stairs although we think there is another around the back of the hotel, we did not investigate but worth asking the hotel should you wish to know

I spent in hotel Pausania one night, and the stay was perfect.

The bed was comfy. The room very clean. The croissants delicious. Breakfast good. Location very convenient close to every sightseeing. The personal polite and attentive. Will recommend to all my friends

Lovely one night stop in Venice
    • Quadruple Room

Definitely an older hotel but we like this. No lifts.

Slightly off the main tourist hub, seemingly in the midst of local day to day activities which was great and also close to some excellent restaurants. Great size family room, fine for the four of us including two teenagers. Good beds.

Good value for excellent location :)
    • Quadruple Room

The night manager who greeted us on arrival was abrupt and not very polite.The poor waitress in thee breakfast room seemed to be run off her feet with no visible help.

Lovely property with view over a small canal

This is a nice place to stay for both business and pleasure.
    • Quadruple Room

Being in an old palazzo added a lot of charm to our stay. Our family room had enough space for three adults and one teenager. The hotel is very convenient to the Ca' Rezzonico stop on the Alilaguna Orange line from the airport, and is in a quiet area of Venice. I would stay here again - though I would ask for rooms numbered in the 200 range next time, since they are adjacent to a lovely lounge area overlooking the canal.

I enjoyed staying at Hotel Pausania.

I enjoyed staying at Hotel Pausania. I would put it at the better end of the 3-star scale. It is very convenient to the Ca' Rezzonico stop on the Alilaguna Orange line from the airport, and is in a quiet part of Venice.

The Hotel Pausania makes you really feel like you are in Venice.

The breakfast. It is typical of what is offered these days. I'd suggest skipping the breakfast and grabbing a caffe and croissant at a nearby cafe.

The location was very convenient. The bathroom is great! The entry way courtyard is very old and beautiful, but the stairs are original and very steep, which might be a problem if you have heavy bags.

Great location low-end area Nice change from the highly tourist Venetian areas.

Actually had to ask to have the room changed the shower was full of mold including the ceiling. They couldn't do it immediately but do that the next day and gave us a slight upgrade. It's a budget hotel so I just went forward could've expected but it was little shocking.

Glad I went to venice, but I wouldn't stay at the hotel pausania again.

There was mold in the bathroom. The facilities had obviously been fitted into a historic building and were cramped. The staff were rude. The website said there was an airport shuttle, and that is not true.

Location was the best thing about this hotel. We walked everywhere and it wasn't an issue.

Great break!

Breakfast coffee should have been better. Luckily there are many places near the hotel to get a coffee.

Once we found Campo Barnaba it was easy to find the hotel but we did get a bit lost before that. Staff were helpful, friendly & approachable. We had warm croissants and a tasty tart at breakfast which was lovely but otherwise it was very simple. The room was beautiful & spacious but had little storage. We managed the tilting stairs just fine but it was good to be prewarned!

Relaxed, comfortable and very enjoyable
    • Quadruple Room

Very understated, polite and friendly staff, very comfortable family room, lovely breakfast, great lounge area, close to the water bus on the grande canal, walking distance to so many interesting places, lovely restaurants close by. We'll definitely stay again next time we visit Venice!

Great place to stay if you want to explore Venice.

The walk to get there from the bus stop is about 500m but in Venice there are a lot of small bridges that need to be crossed. This makes it difficult to move bags.

A great little hotel that has a rustic feel about it. The room was large and comfortable. There is a small refrigerator and tea and coffee. The breakfast was very good, all fresh. The staff were very helpful. The location is very central; close to restaurants of all categories, close to glassware shops; close to museums and close to artist workshops.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Comfortable stylish hotel

I loved the old sloping staircase which led to the rooms but could be a drawback for some.

Lovely old hotel with lots of character. Right next to a really pretty canal and good access to waterbus. Quiet location but close to bars and cafes. Breakfast was superb, a really good selection of continental and fresh produce. And a kettle in the room for tea!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

A 14 century stay!

Tidy up the garden with flowers and garden furniture, to allow guests to sit outside.

The location was fantastic, with many fab venues within a 5 minute walk of the hotel.

SMELLY ROOM vs GREAT LOCATION

THE SMELL. Wifi. That one member of staff who ruined it for the rest.

I generally prefer to stay in places with a little character and charm as opposed new/fancy and boring. So I thought this place could be just right, the decor looked fun and the location seemed perfect for what I wanted. Lets start by saying the location is amazing, 10 minutes from Peggy Guggenheim and in a cute little part of town near the galleries and good for transport. Also the breakfast is OK… the croissants are hot (if a little greasy). Other than that.....nit so good. The room really SMELT….so so bad. There was no natural daylight in the room, bar one tiny window in the ceiling… which I needed to open because of the stench. This then let all the mosquitos in (as there was no mosquito net over the window), so I ended up with around 35 mosquito bites all over the top half of my body. I asked a member of staff for some bug spray and it begrudgingly arrived to my room with a rude man demanding ' I needed to check out tomorrow morning at 11’ in a very odd manner… The wifi didnt work very well, and when it did was super slow. One night I asked a staff member if he could restart the router as that usually helped and again the same man was pretty rude and didnt seem to know what to do… It just really wasnt what I expected for paying £170 + a night for a room. I hoped the charm of the place and the local staff would have been exactly what I wanted, but it just wasnt.. I only really needed somewhere to put my head down each evening, but I ended up with a very bitter taste in my mouth, paying this much for a room which frankly was a very smelly box… Huge shame

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Another one off the bucket list

Obviously the prices, but this is Venice. You can get reasonably cheap and cheerful if you want to go searching.

Very convenient for getting around Venice, near the Grand Canal. In Campo Santa Margherita (5 minutes away) there are a number of restaurants and a couple of bars.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Fantastic location with nearby restaurants, bars, museums,...

The staircase up to the rooms was quite a challenge for anyone with mobility problems or low fitness - ground floor rooms may be an option.

Fantastic location with nearby restaurants, bars, museums, transport links. The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was great, didn't finish too early!

Nice old hotel

Bad: -The room was cold in the day we arrived and the heating system in the hotel was switched off -The room wasn't too well soundproofed

Good: -Breakfast -Friendly staff -Quite good location -Nice old building

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Venice is worth a visit. But in this hotel?

There was no shower available in the room on the 3rd floor just a bathtub. The but under a bevel and not usable. In addition, the pressure in the water line was extremely bad in the morning. Showers were then not possible. The breakfast was rather bad. Too little service, too little selection, only baked rolls, bad coffee, unfriendly service and defective containers.

The bed was very good. A large part of the staff was very friendly. The ambience of the hotel was appealing. The location very good. Great was that we got a discount for the lack of showering.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Nice but mosquito issue!

We had a huge issue with mosquitoes and we woke up a lot during the night with bites and the sound of mosquitoes. During our time there for one night, we killed about a dozen mosquitoes and it felt like it didn't end. Had a few bites on my face, leaving me with a swollen face. I'm guessing that not isolated to the hotel but to Venice considering it's on water, just would've expected a bit more insect control. Breakfast buffet wasn't the best selection compared to many buffets we've had during our 8 week trip. Squished bugs appeared to be on the walls which wasn't too nice to look at.

Close to restaurants and local areas whilst being out of the main tourist area. Staff were friendly. Good sized room.

Perfect Location, Perfect Accommodation, Perfect City Break, Venice is a dream...

Bathroom was a little small with a low ceiling. However when you see the beautiful buildings you understand why, this wasn't a negative

Excellent location, stunning views from the upstairs terrace. Hotel had an outdoor area. Room was large and decoration was beautiful throughout the hotel including its own fresco's. Breakfast simple but lovely. Venice is a dream, very surreal, Basilica's on every corner, perfect for a weekend away exploring, getting lost within the city, amazing shopping and to top it off the fabulous food. Would definitely recommend and return to Pausania.

definitely going to suggest to friends and other people to book Pausania for the perfect location

May be a little more smile from the staff on the breakfast

I liked the friendly and at the same time professional way to talk of the staff. Room very clean

Excellent service, but room wasn't great.

The room had mosquitoes. There was dead mosquitoes on the walls. The bed sheets were dirty. The air conditioning was very poor. The shower is very weak at peak times.

The staff were very helpful. The building is very beautiful. The location is great. The price for the room was good. The breakfast was ok.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Close enough to St. Marks, but far enough from the crowds.

Bathroom was a bit small, but very serviceable.

In-house croissants every morning, delicate, flaky. Great way to begin the day. Very quiet canal close to Academmia and Piazza Margherita. Close to a vaporetto stop which we took to Marco Polo Airport. We would stay here again.

- location was good 20-15 min from the railway station

- the room is too small - there is no lift

- location was good 20-15 min from the railway station - receptionists were helpful and kind - breakfast was good - good value for the price

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

In the description we're written that it's a room...

In the description we're written that it's a room for two with a queen size bed ( which was shown also in the photos ), but instead there was two single beds put tugether as a double bed, was really uncomfortable!

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Comfortable stay in a characterful hotel, will definitely book again

Window in bathroom needs repairing. Fridge door needed attention to close it properly

Great location, loved the historic building. Warm comfortable room. Nice bathroom with view!

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

A perfect little, well managed and comfortable hotel in a quiet but central part of Venice.

Staff were lovely, room was very comfortable, location was perfect. Wifi works. There is a small bar in the hotel to relax in. They arranged taxi transfers for us. We have already booked to go again!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

We won't be back

Noisy plumbing - could hear next room flushing toilet. Noise from front entrance. Rooms and garden looked tired and in need of attention. Had to kill several mosquitos in room on arrival. Overall lack of atmosphere and very impersonal.

The location was excellent and in a good area.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Ideal base to explore Venice

Carrying a heavy suitcase up an old stone staircase.

Nice big room, good air-conditioning. Not much from the outside, but well appointed inside. We would recommend the hotel.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

Very good location near the centre of Venice

The location beside the canal and close to the railway/bus stations and vaporetta was very good. Breakfast was pleasant. Room was spacious with good facilities.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

Great hotel in Venice!
    • Quadruple Room

Bathroom could have been a little better such as putting a shower curtain in bath. Also a steep climb with cases up the stairs but then again there was no possibility of putting in a lift as such as old property and was so quirky and you need to retain the character.

The quirkiness of the hotel was great and the beds were very comfortable.

Great location, very central but far enough from the most...

Great location, very central but far enough from the most crowded areas, nicely decorated and furnished, good breakfast

It was a great time
    • Quadruple Room

It's hard to get there, because of the two different places with the same adress in google maps

Painings inside the room, nice and helpful staff

Location is very convenient

Location is very convenient

Staff very friendly

Breakfast was not upto mark. interiors too dark

Staff very friendly

It was all very good

All ok!

We made a booking for 8 adults and 2 kids through Booking.
    • Quadruple Room

We made a booking for 8 adults and 2 kids through Booking.com. We were charged for extra 2 breakfast on checkout. The staff on Counter was very rude.

Marvellous

The staircase was rather steep

the breakfast was very good

All good!

All good! Great place to stay

Convenient and same time quiet.

Convenient and same time quiet. Authentic, little inn not glitzy or touristy. Just what I wanted.

Location, location, location.

The bathroom was 'compact' - but the building is fantastic.

Location, location, location. Very characterful building and great staff.

Good position, old and not really renovated.

All together the hotel would need a renovation, starting from the breakfast room!

Wonderful place in Venezia's heart

Many stairs

Great location, nice decor, very friendly staff

Grudging.

Breakfast disappointing. Juice diluted from frozen. Rolls etc from frozen when bakery across road. Broken chair in bedroom. Toilet lock broken.

Area

Staff was great, bed was comfy, room and building had a very...

Wifi was weak

Staff was great, bed was comfy, room and building had a very authentic Italian feel

Glad we stayed in Venice itself, but would have been better closer to st marks square area

Very run down, quite e pensive for what you get

The coffee at breakfast was not bad. And coffee at breakfast is a massive thing for me!

Lovely stay!

No 'proper' toast for breakfast!

Spotlessly clean, english-speaking staff, easy access to water buses, lots of facilities near.

Excellent holiday. Venice lived up to & passed our expectations !

Rain on Thursday !

Staff friendly & helpful.

Convenient location to Vaporetto and Alilaguna stops

Nice large rooms, helpful front desk staff, convenient location.

The Design of the room was very nice we had a wonderful view...

The Design of the room was very nice we had a wonderful view from our window. The staff were super friendly.

Good and great location

Location and staff

It was goid, staff really nice, great location. The room needs painting, there were killed mosquitos in the hall

Fabulous time

Very comfortable and quiet district no hassle and the people so polite and friendly

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

We had a wonderful holiday, and the hotel was an important part of it.

The coffee was very weak and tasteless. We should have complained sooner.

Everything except the coffee.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Good location, friendly staff

Great location to discover Venice. Nice area. Nice staff.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Lumpy mattress

Lumpy mattress

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Great location, wonderful breakfast, attentive staff,...

Great location, wonderful breakfast, attentive staff, beautiful views

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Nice spacious room, friendly efficient staff

Expensive, but maybe that is the general rate in Venice

Nice spacious room, friendly efficient staff

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Great place to stay for short trip

Excellent location and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Okay motel in Venice

Staff not very nice, not the most clean and old

Air condition works well, email prior to arrival including map and brief information about the city

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Location was excellent and staff very friendly and happy to...

The price was very expensive for what it was. I appreciated the location and of course it was Venice, but just to sleep, shower and breakfast, the price was way over the top!

Location was excellent and staff very friendly and happy to help.

There are also 36 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Pausania traveller photo gallery