Reviews of Hotel Relais Il Cestello 3 stars

Piazza di Cestello 9, Santo Spirito, 50124 Florence, Italy

#160 of 384 hotels in Florence

Very friendly & helpful.staff who genuinely cared about your experience. Lovely dining/reception area. Really nice area close to river Arne and not far from station. Nothing

Overall, hotel is great. One thing I didn't like is the breakfast. Not a lot of options, plus the croissant is store-bought (I think), could have been better.

First night was really cold! Found some extra blankets but it was -5 outside so if you travel during winter, use the airco (25 degrees min).

Good for spending a few nights while working in Florence. The location is perfect if you also want to see something of the city or if you just want to eat something good around the corner. Room simpel, tidy and just fine.

Could hear other guests. Suppose that is part and parcel of being in a medieval town. Breakfast not great but OK for the price. All in all very good value for money. Would visit again.

All great

Breakfast was fine but more limited than in a bigger chain place.

The location was great. The building looks odd from the street but internally is very traditional Italian. Spacious room had a sloped ceiling 12-16 feet high with old beams, tiled floors, view of the river. Friendly 24 hour English-speaking reception.

No tea making facilities in the room which would have been nice.

This hotel was ideally placed for a short break in Florence. We stayed for two nights. We got the train from Rome to Florence and this hotel is just 10 minutes walk to the station. It was in a very quiet area just by the river. All of the sites were a short walk away as were the restaurants and shops. This is a very small hotel and was exceptionally clean and tidy. The staff were lovely and the hotel was very quiet.

No lift (hotel is on first floor) but manager very helpful with luggage. Bathroom small but well equipped and very modern.

Fantastic location, close to main railway station. Lots of restaurants and bars close by. The hotel is in a 16th century building, very tastefully renovated with all modern facilities including good wifi connection.

The beds were quite hard. The room is not very big, and the bathroom is small. The rooms do not have a view on the river, only the lobby does.

Friendly staff, clean hotel.

The room was superb and very comfortable - the staff were brilliant! We are driving around Italy for a month on our honeymoon and this hotel was memorable - we hope to visit again soon!

We arrived by car and expected to have free parking spaces (as some comments on Booking suggested). However, we found an area limited by ZTL that forced us to park the car in a local garage for 20€ a day in order to avoid penalties.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The cappuccino offered in the breakfast was very good. Near the city center (walking distance).

We hated the comforters. They looked like they were never changed or washed (I could be wrong, they just didn't look nice). Also, the mattresses could have been a bit newer/more comfortable.

The room was VERY large and the air conditioner worked really well! It was in an excellent location, close to the river and lots of shops and markets. We were very pleased!

I think the bedrooms could be updated- a bit rough around the edges Still a comfortable stay and nights sleep

Lovely little hotel in a great location. Stay south of the river to avoid tourists! Still 10 minutes to the train station on foot. Lovely view of the river from breakfast room

Maybe a better hairdryer and have an iron available, but dry cleaners close by and cheap and the staff helped us finding it. No one helped us with our luggage throught the steep stairs but when cheching out we had someone do that and it was so great!

Excellent location! 1 minute walking and you were by the river with the view of Ponte Vechio at 5 min walk! Also easy for taxis to reach the hotel front door. Friendly Staff willing to help 24 hours! Very Clean!

When checking in, the staff gave me a shocked face when I asked if someone could help us lift our luggages up the stairs as we were struggling to do so ourselves. The staff then asks me in a rude tone "what? me?!", I was quite overwhelmed by the response and looked around for other staff and told him anyone if it was possible. He didn't respond to that whilst my 2 friends were waiting downstairs. Once we got through all the check in paperwork, he sighed as he went downstairs to take one luggage up. With no communication at all, he just went to sit back on his desk. We just waited around not knowing what was happening. After about 5-10 minutes of him just sitting at his desk and not saying anything to us, us girls realised he wasn't going to help. So we slowly lifted each luggage together. Only then he took us to our room. It would have been appreciated if he just communicated to tell us that there weren't any staff available to help rather than being awkward and rude.

The room was very spacious with a very clean bathroom. Breakfast options were great with options of pastries, ham, cereal and juices.

The hotel's manager (Marco 2) and staff member Stefano were not helpful and extremely rude. My husband and i felt dispected. It is only due to my husband's self-control that he didn't lose it with the manager and Stefano. It is evident they dislike working in a hotel and servicing guest. For instance when we initially arrived we rang the bell and no one responded to open the access door into the hotel. We proceeded to buzz a second time. When we checked in at the front desk we were lectured and repeatedly told to ring "One Time...one time!" Also on the first day the bathtub was not draining properly. We requested to have it fixed and were questioned "Not draining...are you sure?". We requested toilet paper and were told "there is toilet paper!" Considering this wasn't an inexpensive hotel the amenities were subpar. Each evening we moved our bed to the middle of the room In order to feel the air conditioning. The blow dryer was like an air vac machine. My husband and I would definitely not recommend nor stay at this hotel ever again. So disappointed since we traveled to Italy to celebrate our 30 year anniversary.

We were so thankful that one staff member provided outstanding customer service - Marco! Not Marco the hotel Manager but another staff whose name was also Marco. He alone provided outstanding service whenever we sought assistance. Marco provided recommendations of his favorite towns to visit and provided assistance with planning our daily excursions to nearby towns in Tuscany. He was so friendly and helpful that we felt comfortable seeking assitance. If it had not been for Marco my husband and I would have had the most unpleasant stay during our 6 days in Florence.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

This is a small family owned inn and the people were so friendly and offered us advice about getting a bus or taxi as well as directions and a map to all the local galleries that we wanted to visit. The room was thoroughly cleaned each day of our stay. The area felt very safe. Everything is within a 15 minute walk.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

The guest room I stayed in was right next to the breakfast hall connected through a thin wall, where you could hear everything, and I am guessing they could hear everything also. I do believe this was a problem for my room alone as there were no other rooms directly adjacent to it. Aside from this, and while everything is in order the bathrooms could do with modernization, but this doesn't move the needle on the quality of the stay.

Great simple hotel with lovely and helpful staff. Situated on a calm square with parking outside (paid parking at approximately EUR 1.50 an hour from 8:00 AM - 1:00 AM). About a ten minute lovely walk from Ponte Vecchio, alongside the river. Plus point, in the middle of Italian summer, the rooms have well functioning AC.

The day person staff was not very friendly. Was not very helpful in figuring out the parking (which apparently was just behind their street). Not sure why he did not call the parking place for them to bring my car but he did for the other guests. (I didn't think we parked at the same place. I just realized it when I saw the same man who brought the other guests' car to the hotel in the parking garage where I picked up my car).

Centrally located. The night staff person was very helpful and friendly.

Excellent location, quiet but close to everything. Terrific advice on restaurants and transport. Excellent bars and restaurants in the immediate area.

This hotel is at a perfect spot. It is a five minute walk to any of the famous historic sights and attractions of the city center. It is close to the main train station and to the bus stops which is also important. The perfect thing about the hotel is that it is on the quiet bank of the river away from the buzz of the huge masses of tourists and the neighborhood has some nice local small bars and restaurants which gives you a real feel of Italy. The hotel is a family business that's why you will feel cozy as if you are at home. The owner and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are not spacious but they are clean and comfortable and that's all you need. The breakfast is decent and fresh but not a huge variety offered. There are some nice small supermarkets and grocery shops close to the hotel as well as a self-service laundry. I enjoyed my two week stay at the hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to stay at a nice place in the heart of Florence.

We had the room behind the front desk and it faces the street. There was some noise in the evening from the restaurant below. It wasn't too bad and we often left the window open in the afternoon for a nice breeze. Possibly the rooms further in might be quieter but I can't say for sure. The staff were friendly and helpful. There are steps from the ground level to reception (they already note that) and they buzz you in no matter what time so I felt safe. There are many nice family style restaurants within a 10 min walk from the hotel. The hotel is under 15 min walk from the Firenze Santa Maria Novella train station so very convenient. We are on the other side of the Arno and I feel a less touristy neighbourhood while accessible to all sites which was great.

2 night out of 3 we had to ask for new bed sheet as it was dirty, but they were helpful about it Not much choice for breakfast

Friendly and helpful staff Location not in the heart of Florence but 10 minutes walk

Great location, a 10 mins walk from the city center. The staff was friendly and helpful but their english was poor. The room was cozy and clean. Definitely good quality-price relationship.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Noise: breakfast is served in a big hallway, from the room you can hear the plates when they are cleaned by the owner. Room 22 is big and cold. Heating requires turning on the noisy AC. Next to the room there is some kind of engine or boiler which is noisy as well.

Clean, varied breakfast

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

to many stairs to climb, but that had been expected.

The Hotel was central to the area I wanted to shop, the weekly Market, the local shops, and restaurants all within easy reach. The bedroom was clean & had a very large double bed, high ceilings but the most wonderful thing about my room was the shower it was powerful and very hot, bliss, Room service was available which was a little unusual but welcome they made a brilliant coffee with milk, hit just the right spot after a day of shopping. Given help with luggage too many stairs to climb without some help, I did say I had been shopping!!!!! Cannot comment on breakfast as I stayed on a room only basis, but if the coffee was any indication then I'm sure it was good.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

you could hear the toilette flush from the room next door and I thought the price for the location was a bit high.

The staff was friendly, location was close enough to the main attractions such as Ponte Vecchio, Piti Palace and Boboli Gardens.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

There was a weird smell, which might be because of the old furniture/curtains.

Bathroom was clean, the room was daily cleaned up and the staff was very nice.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Woken up by air conditioning unit but we may've just set it wrong, but also very noisy building works going on (I think just temporary)

Nice, traditional décor Comfy beds Decent breakfast and good value compared with elsewhere Walking distance to all the sights and town centre Overall, good value for what you get

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

I would have loved eggs for breakfast but the croissants were delicious!

The bed was comfortable and as a single guest I felt at ease in the family run hotel. The staff were attentive and friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

The staff was very helpful. Stefano gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. The hotel was very convenient for walking to the sights in Firenze. It was very quiet.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Shower head broken in our room but workable, nothing worth really complaining about.

Location, location, location! Staff were friendly. Quiet location away from the hustle and bustle and easy to maneuver to and from the day for a little rest. Breakfast was great to get the day started.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

It's a very old building and to enter the rooms you have to pay attention as there is a steep step at the door.

Nice small relais on a less touristy side of Arno, but central and easy to reach from the station. For a single person, one night, the room was very good, albeit small. I haven't seen the double / larger rooms. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

- high prices of mini bar - shower was a bit small

- big bed - great location - friendly staff - accross the bridge that leads to the city centre, but in a not too touristy part of the city (luckily!!!!!) - close to Santo Spirito

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

No real social area within the hotel.

The staff were always pleasant. Rooms clean and air conditioned. The hotel was well placed between the station and Ponte vecchio

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

Our bathroom was a generous in size, though the shower compartment within it was compact.

Very quiet rooms with modern individually controlled air conditioning. Room sizes are more generous than average for a three star hotel. Large comfortable beds. The hotel is set well back from the nearest road adding to the peaceful setting. Close to good quality restaurants and just 12 minutes walk from the main railway station. Superb staff welcoming and friendly offering great service. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

A great boutique hotel for a few days in Florence. The best feature - location! In a lovely area of the curt surrounded by endless chic, hip restaurants and cafes, as well as being within walking distance of all tourist attractions and train station. The room was also good - mini fridge, air conditioning and good wifi. The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

The Narrow entrance stairs made carrying big bags up a little difficult

The Hotel is in a great location, walking distance for most of the main sights, and very easy to find as it's right by the river. The room was a good size, with lots of character, blackout curtains and air conditioning guaranteed a good nights sleep. Breakfast was relaxed and had a nice selection off food and really good coffee. The staff were very friendly and suggested a great restaurant for us.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

EVEN THOUGH BREAKFAST INCLUDED A VARIETY OF FOOD(BASIC AND NOT WIDE),I BELIEVE THE QUALITY COULD BE IMPROVED AND A FEW ADDITIONS COULD BE MADE.

STEFANOS IS THE HEART AND SOUL OF THIS LITTLE HOTEL.NO MATTER WHAT YOU WANT ,HE WILL BE THERE FOR YOU TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS,GIVE YOU INFORMATION OR JUST CHAT. THANK YOU STEFANOS FOR EVERYTHING!I WOULD DEFINITELY RECCOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO BE CLOSE TO THE CENTER OF FLORENCE BUT AT THE SAME TIME AWAY FROM THE HECTIC NOISE OF IT.EASY TO REACH BY PUBLIC MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION(ONLY 10' ON FOOT FROM THE CENTRAL TRAIN AND BUS STATIONS),CLEAN AND SITUATED IN A QUIET NEIGHBOURHOOD.

Some staff was very usefull and some didnt care.

Very close to center everything is in 15 min of walk. Great place near river.

No elevator..

Friendly staff.. bus stop is 100 meter..city center area is just 15 min walk..

Not clean. A lot of noise in the morning Breakfast is poor

Slower WiFi connection

Great & friendly staff - always helpfull, willing ... , very close to the centre

Nice location on the other side of the river, easy to find once I knew which direction I was going in. Friendly staff

Unfortunately our room was above a nightclub with music playing until 1 am every night.

Very large bed and staff were very polite and helpful.

Absolutely fantastic place! Amazing and helpful staff, perfect cleanliness and great location, close to everything.

Simple, but warm and practical

No elevator for luggage

Staff really helpful. Big rooms and good breakfast

Not expecting mosquitos. Will be better prepared next time

Nice hotel just out of centre but close to everything

The breakfast was good, but I thing they could add wholemeal bread.

Location is super!

Wifi strength very weak, room could be more furnished

Beautiful reception and helpful staff

Toilet and bathroom was very narrow

Very friendly staff. Good breakfast choices.

Dirty, did not have proper parking, tiny room

Good location and very helpful staff

No everything was as perfect as it could get

The room was very spacious, spotless and a very comfortable bed. We were delighted with our stay

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Good location, very welcoming hosts, large rooms.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Convenient location; very helpful staff; comfortable without being pretentious.

No comfortable chair in room. Only one little cup.

Clean. Bed comfortable

Very nice family run hotel. Great location.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Great hotel great staff and fantastic location!

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

Friendly, helpful owner; great location; lovely small hotel and personal service.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Have Coffee delivered to the room in the morning.it was a wonderful trip

Everything was very good.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Clean apartment, excellent location, nice staff. This place is really good value for money.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

No iron!!! Also tv is tiny.

Location. And size.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Staff was helpful and very friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Bed and pillows.

Great restaurants in the area! Block behind hotel

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

The staff is excellent, the room is very big and clean, the shower has a great flow.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Very old furniture and the ventilation didn't work on the bathroom.

Lobby

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

need a better breakfast and asked for room with a view - received a room over looking air conditioning and building.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Staff were lovely and very welcoming

Ambience and staff

Clean and lovely hotel

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

It is a family business and they all were very helpfull and friendly. Very nice family.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Modern well presented hotel, really friendly & helpful staff, fabulous location. A short stroll to everything Florence has to offer.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

less noise, better parking

Perfect location, nice small hotel like it should be to get the Italian feeling.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The breakfast could be better

The staff was nice