Reviews of Hotel Santa Maria Novella 4 stars

Piazza Santa Maria Novella 1, Santa Maria Novella, 50123 Florence, Italy

#40 of 384 hotels in Florence

9.8

We cannot fault this hotel. Gorgeous facilities, wonderful breakfast and the perfect location. Staff went above and beyond and even gave us a littlw take away breakfast pack when we needed to check out early. Thanks for a wonderful stay, we will be back to stay again in the future.

• Deluxe Double Room

Water pressure in shower was weak, but not bad. It’s the only negative I could come up with.

Great location! Great rooms - wow was it spacious and had great air conditioning which is important in Summer. Good breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff.

We had a room overlooking the piazza. The atmosphere of an evening on weekends was stunning, with great music and breezes wafting into our room. This is a lovely comfortable hotel in a great location. highly recommended.

• Superior Double Room with View

The air conditioning unit leaked one night dripping water all night but it was repaired as soon as we told them in the morning.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.The breakfast was good and we had a lovely complimentary bottle of Prosecco on the roof terrace

Coffee might have been better but this is minor compared to all the positives about this hotel.

Everything was spectacular and special about this hotel. I splurged for a milestone birthday and I could not have made a better choice. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, from the front office staff to the restaurant and the cleaning staff. The location on Santa Maria Novella square facing the church was just amazing. On weekend evenings I could hear ad hoc musicians from my open window playing in the square below. But the sound masking was perfect when I would close the window. The rooms are large with spacious marble bathrooms. The terrace on the rooftop was just incredible, with views of everywhere nearby in Florence. The hotel is a 10 minute walk to just about every major tourist destination. I would definitely return in future!

• Superior Double Room with View

Room was very hot, couldn't have patio doors open because too noisy outside.

Staff, choice at breakfast, breakfast room and room woth balcony, excellent location 5 mins from train stn, central location to everywhere. Would recommend and will book again.

Extremely helpful & friendly staff who made and excellent first impression. Super location, elegant interiors, and prosecco for breakfast is always a treat!

• Superior Double Room with View

If only I could live not only in Florence, but at this understatedly grand hotel. Rarely has a staff been so gracious, a view as bright and alive (3rd floor overlooking the plaza), and a location so ideal day and night. Thank you!

Amazing staff- very helpful and kind. The breakfast was delicious and loved the location. Close to the train station and to lots of the beautiful sites!!!

Having to leave it all behind!

Everything from our first sight and welcome from the Santa Maria staff to the final goodbye - they even found us a delightful taxi driver for our journey back to the airport! The hotel is beautifully laid out, good sized rooms, ours with shower room and French windows and Juliette balcony. Well soundproofed rooms and comfortable beds all made for good nights sleep. The reception staff were happy to answer any questions and advise on where to go and on arrival we were shown to our room! The breakfast is a must - fresh fruits, pastries, cereals etc served In beautiful ground floor rooms.

• Deluxe Double Room

Quirky layout, I would be sure to mention any mobility issues when booking.

Great stay, we would definitely stay here again. Comfortable nicely decorated hotel, great location, lovely vegan-friendly (gluten-free options as well) buffet breakfast, helpful and kind personnel, very clean, quiet and more than ample guest room. Highly recommended.

I think this was the best hotel I have ever stayed at! The room was large but also warm and cozy, the staff was very helpful. As someone traveling to Florence for the first time, the location just could not have been better! Everything was within walking distance and I didn't need to take even one taxi during my whole trip. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great location and a boutique-feel in a hotel!

The bar area was perfect for having a glass of wine at the end of the day, or a mid-afternoon coffee. The best part was the cozy living room with a fireplace and luxurious red and green decor. This space was perfect for hanging out together with my family at the end of each day.

• Superior Double Room with View

Hard to pick a downside. The bar opened late in the afternoon......and we could have used two easy chairs in our suite (there was one desk chair and another pretty upright thingy).

Charming, well placed hotel, with a very attentive staff and a generous breakfast. We loved the attention to details, the careful decor, the small, but confortável rooms.

There was nothing I didn't like.

It was our honeymoon and they upgraded us without us requesting it. We had a beautiful view of the Piazza Santa Maria Novella.

Expensive. Because the hotel is built between multiple houses, there were multiple half staircases between elevator and our room, so that wasn't convenient with luggage.

Good location, convenient to train and sights., but away from heaviest throngs of tourists. Great views from rooftop terrace. Great breakfast. Nice room.

Nothing....it was perfect.

Beautiful hotel near the train station. The rooms in the lobby were exquisite. Just like you ere in another time period. All the paintings were of old time Italy and very interesting to admire. We would absolutely stay there again.

Heating temperature control was not there.

Breakfast was great and free water bottles and tea and coffee was good. Only issue was over heating in the room.

The room was dark (depressing). Not enough lighting. The reception service tended to be a bit "snobbish" (but the lady receptionists were very good, friendly, helpful). When we wanted an adapter to be brought up, we were asked to go down to get it ourselves (never before have I come across a hotel that asked us to come down, and we have stayed in hotels around the world!!) Housekeeping can be better (we had a glass unwashed the next day, and water was not replenished, and when we told them, it was not brought up for 2 hours and we had to gp down to get it ourselves!). Breakfast was exactly the same for the 3 days we were there.

Location was very good. Near the railway station and near the Duomo and the shops. The bathroom was large and good.

The room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was amazing compared to most bathrooms in Europe. The location is next to the Santa Maria Novella Plaza and is amazingly quiet for being in such a central location.

Convoluted path to the room, but that became more familiar with repetition..

The room was excellent; comfortable, clean, and attractive. The bath was luxurious with large fluffy towels . Breakfast , on both days of our stay, was impressive and delicious. The hotel was worthy of our celebrating 51st wedding anniversary....Bravo!

Room size and bed were all that we needed. Bathroom was beautiful Italian marble and modern enough. Breakfast was great with fresh/real eggs, and plenty of choices for all entrees.

The location of the hotel is perfect to explore the city attractions by foot. We walked everywhere! The quiet suite was wonderful with two terraces and a sitting room. One terrace overlooked the Santa Maria Novella Piazza, the other looked out over the terra cotta rooftops. The staff was friendly, the bed was comfortable, the large marble bathroom was beautiful, and the included breakfast was a nice addition. If we return to Florence, we will certainly stay here again.

In fact, I had a problem with my reservation and I had to stay 2 nights out of 3 nights. In the process, the hotel was very sorry and kind. But it was not pleasant to have to pack two times in Florence.

The location is the best. It is very charming to see Santa Maria Novella Cathedral when you open the window. I was worried about the design of the room that I saw in the picture because it felt like a homely place, but it was classical and beautiful in reality. The lobby and communal space are also beautiful.

• Superior Double Room with View

I do not recommend sitting for too long in Piazza Santa Maria Novella out front if you orefernotto be solicited.

The beautiful room (comfortable bed and great bathroom) with balcony overlooking the colorful, fun square full of live wonderful music each evening, was the perfect refuge after fun full days exploring the art and city of Florence. Great breakfasts, wifi, easy location for walking, and a lovely staff. Could not have done better.

• Superior Double Room with View

The thoughtfulness of the staff. As this was our golden wedding trip a bottle of Prosecco and a bowl of strawberries was provided on arrival and the staff had also made 2 swans out of towels with rose petals around the bed. We were delighted at their kindness.

• Superior Double Room with View

I cannot think of anything I didn't like about this hotel stay.

Elegant and stylish small hotel. My room was very comfortable with a stunning view of the church of Santa Maria Novella. The hotel roof offers lovely views of the Duomo and Campanile as well. Staff was very helpful and breakfast offered a wide range of choices. I have already booked a return visit.

price for rooms

did not see handicap access breakfast was very good selections of meats , eggs, breads, fruits and everything in between two room suit was clean and comfortable bath was also clean and modern

could hear the main air conditioner so had to have it turned off at night. Wasn't informed of system for bus tickets and consequently got fined 50 euros each !!

breakfast had lots of choice and staff were very helpful. For example asked for anti slip mat in shower and was attended to immediately ! Great service

The bed was firm but that may be more a matter of personal preference.

Breakfast was excellent with many options. The room was beautiful and spacious; great shower and large vanity. Very clean. Staff were friendly and incredibly attentive. Great bartender who made delicious cocktails. The roof terrace is lovely (with a great view) as are all of the common rooms-beautiful facilities overall.

• Superior Double Room with View

I think, at the room rate we paid, eggs cooked to your preference should be included and not extra.

Santa Maria Novella is five minutes walk from the railway station and on the square of the same name. It's only a few minutes walk from the river and all the main historic buildings. It's a very elegant, old hotel with all the modern facilities you'd expect. The breakfast is excellent and service very good.

I was disappointed with my room, was smaller than the photo. This was for my husbands 60th birthday and wanted something really special, was also promised a birthday drink voucher, did not see this, I emailed them so they knew it was his birthday.

Location was excellent, staff were helpful, recommended a good restaurant for my husbands birthday Parione was really lovely. Loved the roof top terrace.

• Family Room

Loved everything.

We were absolutely in love with this hotel. The family room was huge for our family with two teenagers. Having two bathrooms was amazing. The sheets were rich and comfortable. The air conditioning was perfect. Breakfast buffet was beautiful with rich linens etc. and service was impeccable. Would stay here again always.

• Superior Double Room with View

Everything. Location right on the piazza. Walking distance to all the attractions. Hotel rooms were very spacious and staff were very helpful. Superb breakfast. Florence is one beautiful city!

I loved the place, but fair warning, it is very difficult to navigate the layout of the place due to its old orginal architecture. I found it to be very quaint with lots of charm, but anyone with any type of disability or traveling with small children may want to advise the staff (very accommodating) of their special needs. The floors are split levels so you will encounter many steps. The halls are narrow but the rooms were spacious.

The Staff was very helpful & super friendly. I loved the charm of the place. Very vintage style, & spotless.

• Superior Double Room with View

Don't like shower curtains, Breakfast was limited and the hotel signage is minimal so is not obvious upon approach.

Great central location, spacious rooms and comfortable bed.

Our room is abit little small and the 4th floor has too much steps after getting out of lift

Location is perfect.it just is 5 minutes to train station on foot.classic style decoration of hotel is my favorite

No bath tub in my single room. The TV is very small....but I didn't watch it anyhow!

Great location...and safe for a single female traveler! The hotel is situated at the Piazza Sanata Maria Novella, so it's very easy to walk to anywhere in Florence. Staff is very helpful and courteous. I especially liked listening to the entertainers on the Piazza in the evening....more special from the hotel's rooftop terrace. Breakfast was wonderful each morning and the dining room is light and lovely. I had a single room, which was small but fine for one person. I believe the double rooms are larger. One thing I missed in the room was a bath tub, although the shower was nice and roomy. Would I stay here again? Yes!

• Superior Double Room with View

Room smelled a bit like the plumbing (stinky). Elevators old and oddly placed.

Staff was fantastic! So gracious,and helpful. Breakfast buffet was fabulous! Rooms were lovely, and service was as if it was a 5 star hotel. Thank you!!!

• Superior Double Room with View

Rooftop patio; good water pressure; comfy bed; central location and easy to get around; and strangely enough, the good quality toilet paper. That's always a problem with hotels.

• Superior Double Room with View

Disappointed with the roof-top terrace, especially as it features so prominently on the Booking.com website picture for the hotel. There is no bar or other facility on the terrace so if you want a drink you have to take two elevators and traverse between hotel corridors on split levels. There are no signs to it. It's quite a sad place to go especially as once there you see the wonderful bars other of other hotel roof-tops across the piazza. Again, given this is the primary image on booking.com this was a real let down.

Courteous and efficient staff and a very good location, easy to get to from the train station by foot (under 10 minutes). Very comfortable room with great air-con throughout the hotel and fabulous breakfast buffet. Credit to the breakfast staff.

• Superior Double Room with View

I couldn't name anything I didn't like.

We were located in a beautiful spot in Florence where we could overlook the piazza through our bedroom window and all it's beauty. It was an easy walk to many eating spots and just a beautiful hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Suite

Nothing !

We had the best room in the hotel - the 'honeymoon' suite - with a view of Santa Maria del Fiore from our bed. We enjoyed the view and the music of piazza Santa Maria Novella from our very own private 1000 sq.ft. terrace (!)

• Superior Double Room with View

I could not recommend anything to improve on our stay.

Location within 2 minutes of SMN train station made it perfect to arrive and leave by train. The hotel was perfect for a luxury weekend in Florence.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Nothing, it was all perfect!

Best breakfast in Florence and it's complimentary. Wonderful staff. Much to do within 100 feet of the hotel. Close to the train station. Overall, an amazing experience!

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Yes, the eggs were extra fluffy. Lovely breakfast every morning. A beautiful hotel with excellent service, clean rooms, traditional decor, and fabulous location. I have stayed there twice. Loved it both times.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

Only gripe would be that because it was April the air con was not on in the hotel (apparently its seasonal!) , despite temperatures being in the mid to high 20s, this made for a bit of an uncomfortable night.

Fantastic location overlooking the Piazza, which is busy but not crazy, great looking hotel, good rooms and great breakfast. We loved it

Getting to most rooms involves one of many elevators and then multiple sets of stairs.

The hotel was charming, and a perfect location. The staff were helpful and courteous.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

The hotel is beautiful and so is the breakfast room. They have a wide assortment of items on the breakfast buffet. The location is great and is adjacent to the piazza where musicians gather to entertain. The rooms are a good size (free wifi) and the bathroom had a large marble shower.I liked going up to the roof and having a great view of the city. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. I especially liked the bed turned down at night with the chocolate on my pillow. Makes you feel special with this extra attention. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Everything was perfect!

Great location near Santa Maria Novela Church. Walking distance to major points of interest. Beautiful view. Amazing breakfast with champagne!

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Very nice experience of staying! Location is perfect. Short walking distance from train station. Also not far of walking from the Duomo. Btw, nice breakfast they have! Like the silverwares they are serving!

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

We booked superior room with panorama view. But from the window we see only the piazza, and the bar downstairs was making quite noises.

I like the environment decoration of the hotel. Staff is very friendly and helpful. breakfast is good quality.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

Noise insulation is good. However when you want to have the windows open there will be noise from the square as it is a main way through to the train station.

View from a corner bedroom to the Basilica di Santa Maria Novella is impressive. Staff were very accommodating and helpful. Room size is very generous for a city hotel.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

This was the loveliest hotel I've ever stayed in in Florence. The staff was absolutely amazing; helpful, friendly and kind. The hotel itself was beautiful and the location in the Piazza was second to none. Stay here, you'll love it!

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

The hotel is so grand and elegant. Love its lovely Italian decor in the room. Beautiful bathroom designed with all marbles. There was a bathroom scale and a bidet. Room was very clean. Beddings were very comfortable. Within walking distance to Porcellino, Porte Vecchio bridge shops, Piazza del Duomo, Galleria dell'Accademia and Florence Cathedral. Only 4 minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella train station to the hotel. And many great restaurants nearby. Serena and Michael who checked us in were extremely helpful and courteous. Thank you, Michael and Serena for the wonderful hospitality! ❤ We love this hotel and we'll definitely come back again next February, 2018!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

Location was perfect being a few minutes walk from the.train station. Staff was wonderful... the real treat was the loungue dedicated to Napoleon. Bar tenders were on well above par.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Superior Double Room with View

Wonderful, beatifully decorated, Hotel in a perfect location. Extremely helpful and pleasant reception staff. Smiling breakfast ladies and doorman. The Suite terrace has probably the best views of the city and the hills beyond. My friends had a superior room with magnificent views of SMN. Everybody thoroughly enjoyed their stay. All in all, the quality/value ratio cannot be beaten.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Unfortunately there was a double booking and we had to spend one night in another hotel; which was also excellent. As we had to leave early on the Sunday morning we did not get the chance to enjoy the breakfast at Santa Maria Novella. Nevertheless, the transfer was arranged superbly by the staff at both hotels and did not affect our enjoyment of Florence at all. In fact, we got two great hotels for the price of one, and the restaurant recommended by the manager at the second hotel (Balestri) was outstanding.

The staff were extremely polite, professional and helpful at all times. The location is excellent, within walking distance of a major railway station but you would never know this was the case. The whole area is very quiet and picturesque. As we had a very early start on Sunday morning a very substantial take away breakfast was provided, which was much appreciated. Florence is a truly superb city and this is, in our opinion, the best base to see it from. We shall return.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

The breakfast was not very good. The coffee was horrible. The room was very cramped and hot. No windows.

The property was in a good location. Very easy access to the train station.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Somewhat small bathrooms which should have a few hooks to hang up night clothes etc. Breakfast could be more extensive.

Excellent location. Friendly staff. Very close to railway station + center of town.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

This was our second stay, and room 213 is really VERY dark, with only very dim lights...my husband could not read a book in the room.

Very lovely hotel. Exceptional staff, especially Maria, who was very kind and helpful when I needed to see a doctor. The breakfast is exceptional.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with View

Very twitchy WI-FI; could not even get a connection in the hotel business center. Also, our beautiful room overlooking the piazza Unfortunately resulted in a great deal of noise until the wee hours with loud revelers in the square; even shutting all windows did not block the noise.

Lovely, spacious and clean room; excellent breakfast served with attention and responsiveness.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

No WiFi available in our room.

Location was great , very close to all 'must do's'. Friendly and helpful staff , nice spacious deluxe rooms , very good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

The location of the hotel was fantastic, close to sight-seeing, restaurants and shopping. The staff were amazing , very professional,friendly and went above and beyond with their quality of service.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Hotel Santa Maria Novella is perfect on its location. Staff are nice and very helpful. The room which they offerd me upgrated was well decolated and clean and quite. Breakfast and dining room were charming!

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The loud hotel air conditioner near my second room when I returned there for two nights but this was rectified next morning with grace and another room and a technician had been called.

The genuine help and concern from the staff.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Excellent location. Staff was really helpful and gave us great restaurant recommendations. Fully equipped and very quite room. Really close to the train station.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with View

They have not quite got the coffee right. But then they are not baristas. Breakfast was fine and plenty to choose from. A healthier meusli would be good though, ie not crunchy and no added sugar.

After travelling by car with my husband in Italy for a month I am now in the hotel alone for three days as he has flown back to Australia. They gave early check-in and organised the taxi to the airport for my husband. Until then we had an excellent apartment in Firenze. But when alone I prefer a hotel. I am picking up a Backroads tour for eight days after my three days here at Santa Maria Novella. I feel very safe here and it is close to most sites. It fronts onto the Piazza which means no loud traffic or early morning garbage pickup. Instant hot water, large bathroom in superior room with a view. Double glazing helps. Good to have the iron even if not steam. Comfy bed indeed and pristine white sheets. Helpful and pleasant staff. Try to get to the opera events at the Auditorium al Duomo in Via de Cerretani which is on the way to the Duomo. If you like that kind of thing of course. I happened upon a promo for a new performance for that night and it was marvellous.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with View

Poor variety at breakfast, understaffed in dining area

Staff in general friendly and helpful by accommodating to our needs. Central Location very convenient to get around.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

The room had a dismal view to some pipes. We were disappointed in the slow service and the staff, must have been a bad day. Internet was slow too. The breakfast was disappointing also bad tempered service and little choice. It was highly priced for the room we had.

The location is excellent in the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. The bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with View

Great location - quieter piazza than more famous ones- but still lots going on and 10 minute walk to Duomo, river etc.. Great views from the room which was spacious and comfortable, with great bathroom. Well maintained x2 daily. Quirky route to room via lifts. Good breakfast. No restaurant in hotel but plenty nearby! Helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

Decor of the hotel was beautiful, especially the marble bathroom. Shower/bath was unbelievable, favorite part of the hotel. The location was right near several of the major attractions.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Decor is a little overwrought for our taste but apparently other people like all that drapery, so not really a criticism.

Second stay in a favourite hotel. Excellent location in a beautiful piazza just round the corner from the main rail station, walking distance from all attractions. Room an adequate size with a good bathroom. Good breakfast. Choice of decent restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Italian renaissance style throughout. Complemented by staff who were extremely helpful. Breakfasts in the classically decorated dining room were a special start to the day

Browse Hotel Santa Maria Novella traveller photo gallery