Reviews of Hotel Il Mercante di Venezia 3 stars

Via Cannaregio 379 - Calle della Misericordia, Cannaregio, 30121 Venice, Italy

#208 of 301 hotels in Venice

The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

I would come back!

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was very comfortable and clean. Very good breakfast. Really close to Venezia Santa Lucia train station and Ponte degli Scalzi, lots of nice places to eat close by.

Never again in this hotel
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Room needs repair, uncomfortable, fridge wasnt working properly, curtain fell off the ceiling, room too smal for 4 people, breakfast too weak.

Traditional Venice hotel, good breakfast and good ac with...

Traditional Venice hotel, good breakfast and good ac with good location near the train station so you don't have to carry your bags over loads of bridges and steps

Great value for quality and money for a room in Venice
    • Classic Double Room

Cleaning and breakfast staff a bit rude and noisy since the early morning

Room design and cleaning, with also a small balcony outsise and the view of a garden. The position close to the train station, the breakfast room in a “indoor garden”

Great place to stay if you need to stay near the train station.
    • Classic Double Room

Inclusion of the city tax in the final bill, vs. cash. Not sure if this is a booking.com issue or hotel. I probably missed the directions email, but the easiest clue (perhaps if not in the email) is a LARGE sign on the street itself (at your feet) ALBERGO S LUCIA is the marker at the small alley!

Room sizes vs american hotels are always smaller, but we were satisfied. The breakfast available in the outdoor *covered* garden was outstanding; better than anywhere else that we stayed. Staff was always pleasant to us.

Excellelent service.

Ok breakfast

Excellelent service. Loved Emma. So different from our milan hotel experience. So helpful and friendly. Quiet street comfortable room and lovely chandelier

The garden ans location
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

The room: nothing like the photo presented online. I had a double room for single use. I was given a very dark, shabby room on the ground floor in am annex looking (if one can say "looking") on the narrow lane the hotel is on. Even with the curtains open it was necessary to have the lights on but because passers-by could see in the curtains had to be drawn durong the day as well. For the price I paid I was very dissapointed, (my hotels earlier in the week had been 4 star at a third of the price). I travel at least once a month within Europe or North America and this os the worst place I have ever seen for the price and the first time after hundreds of hotel stays that I have written a bad review or asked ro have my room changed, they said they had no other available rooms but would have changed mybroom if they had.

The garden ans location

The location is good.

My room was on 1st floor so sometimes, there are noisy

The location is good. I have a big luggage so it’s better to stay near the station. The staff are very friendly

Poor experience
    • Classic Double Room

The people who work at the hotel were extremely rude. I arrived late at the hotel due to train delay, and they had no meals, no connections to any restaurant or delivery service or couldn't help in any way. Moreover, I asked for a late checkout, which was agreed by the receptionist, and the day after I was ordered to leave the room one hour before the agreed time, without time to even shower. When I asked for a complaints' book or to fill a complaint, the receptionist refused to tell her name, and the manager did the same thing. No apologies and they did not even care about confirming the checkout time agreed with the receptionist of the night before.

Location and 24hr checkin were convenient, free breakfast included.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

We had the room in front of the kitchen and it was pretty loud during breakfast which is 7am to 10am; so don't plan on sleeping in.

I chose this location because we were coming in late and this property has 24hr checkin. It was also minutes away from Piazzale Roma where we took the bus to Treviso Airpot. Reception was welcoming and helpful. They recommended a great restaurant for local Venetian food "Casa Bonita" within walking distance. It's also very easy to find your way back to the hotel from Venice's main tourist attractions and winding streets because of its proximity to the train station. I would stay here again.

Very good for value, place is very close to train station and very friendly staffs!

I chose this hotel because I like the fact that it is very close to Santa Lucia Train station (about 2 min walk from the hotel) as my friends and I had to travel to Rome the next morning by train. It is also close to the waterbus or vaporetto stops if you want to explore the Grand Canal. The room is exactly like in the picture! Beautiful Italian design! The toilet is very clean and heater works well (we visited Venice in January). Breakfast was simple but delicious and enough to start off the day. Gwendolina attended us during check-in and she was very friendly and helpful! Although we came 2 hours early before check-in, our room was ready and she made sure we would receive the best Venetian hospitality! She also gave us tips on the best areas to visit, the hidden gems in Venice and stuffs like that, advised us to visit Piazza San Marco and the waterfront during the golden hours to take pictures and it was spectacular! My first impressions of Venice were beyond my expectations. Grazie Mille, The Merchant of Venice Hotel! Our stay was great! Definitely will stay here again if I visit Venice in the future with my family. Oh yeah, Gwendolina said we were the first visitors from Brunei to stay at the hotel *happy and proud*. So fellow travellers from Southeast Asia, this hotel is highly recommended! Very good for value and Halal eateries can also be found around the area. Quanto Basta is located in front of the calle (alley) going to the hotel

Near train station and canal.
    • Classic Double Room

Some of the staff are quite impolite might be the Italian way to be. No instructions about places to go or show it on the map, we need to leave the key at the reception all the time, TV is extremely small and air-conditioning don't work.

Near train station and canal. Breakfast included.

Comfortable price, comfortable stay
    • Classic Double Room

The breakfast begins at 07:30, but if you need you can enjoy it earlier, everthing is prepared in the dining room. The girl on the reception was extremly helpful. This hotel 'll be our choice for the next time.

Everything is ok except those annoying loud voices of the staff that awaken us every morning.
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Staff are so noisy early in the morning (I guess housekeeping staff), I’m not sure if they are arguing or what, thier voices are so loud that can awaken those who are still sleeping.

Location is good.

We liked the location, easy to find and nice and close to...
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The street noise from below but we were prepared with earplugs.

We liked the location, easy to find and nice and close to the train station. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was clean.

Good location for all that we wanted to do. Very helpfull .and knowledgeable staff. Would return.
    • Classic Double Room

Possibly could have been tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

There was a good variety for breakfast. The traditional Venician wall covering. Staff were very helpfull.

Don't book here! Spend a little more else where, it's worth it!!
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

This was the worst place I have ever stayed. My room was on the ground level and it felt like I was sleeping on the ground outside. I was awoken by every person walking by as their conversations were so loud inside the small cramped room. There was also a bad smell that came from the bathroom. Overall very unimpressed with this hotel.

Breakfast in the beautiful garden.

Lovely hotel stay
    • Classic Double Room

No tea and coffee facilities in the room

Good selection of breakfast, lovely design in rooms. Comfy beds and perfect location. Air con works very well well! Clean and spotless room with a hidden mini bar

4 nights in Venice

Close to train station and to ferry stop and lots of restaurants. Excellent pastry shop across the laneway to the hotel. 15 minute walk to Rialto bridge and 30 minute walk to Doge's Palace. Breakfast adequate with the basics. Friendly staff at reception. Comfortable bed and good air conditioning.

Better than budget
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

I was concerned about the lack of air conditions but with the fans provided I was plenty cool in my room. Plus I slept better with the white noise of a blowing fan.

It's hard to believe this place is considered a 1 star budget motel. The bed and pillow were very comfy, especially for European standards. The room and adjoining bathroom were spotless. And I loved the vintage furnishings. All of that plus exposed beam tall ceilings and beautiful windows made for not only a comfortable but also a beautiful stay. In addition the staff were very friendly and excellent tour guides. I received an upgraded room the first night of my stay because it was the only one available and stayed in my original economy accommodations for the remaining two nights of my reservation. Both rooms were delightful. I'll be recommending this hotel to anyone I know traveling to Venice.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Good Sleeping Place Near Train Station
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

Smallest TV ever in the room, lacking satellite channels; room is good for sleeping (small)

Good location near train station and vaporettos, friendly staff, room smallish but with AC, hotel is on a quiet sidestreet, good breakfast, good wifi

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Great location, great people, good room and great bar nearby!

Lighting in the bedroom and bathroom.

Great croissants filled with apricot jam. For those who want them, ham and cheese on offer. Good coffee machine with a lot of choice. Garden outside for smokers, and others, to go to, with limited but comfortable seating. Staff really pleasant and helpful. (For example, no problem leaving your luggage in reception after checkout to pick up when you have to leave for the airport/train station) Great bar/restaurant 100 metres away, the Osteria al Cicheto, with great wine, great snacks and great lunch and dinner. (But very small!)

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

The location was great as we came on the night train from...
    • Classic Double Room

The room for breakfast was downstairs and a little cramped so could only fit a few couples at a time but not a major deal.

The location was great as we came on the night train from Rome and was very easy to find and a close walk from the station rather than having to walk through the maze of streets. The staff are at reception 24/7 and were always so polite and helped us with our car rental, calling them for us to assist in Italian. Room size was great and a lovely touch with a small terrace with table and chairs on it to enjoy an afternoon spritz on.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Awesome: The lady at the desk was very kind and helpful with whatever we wanted. Good location.

The room was clean but still there were some glass pieces(minute) in the room when we checked in at a corner. I guess the cleaning lady put all the glass pieces to one corner while she cleaned the room before we checked in.

Everything was good. But the lady was asking each person whether they need ham and cheese, which I loved the most 😊

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Nice friendly and cosy place to stay
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The breakfast could be improved. No hot or freshly made items in the menu. Maybe for a little extra charge they could improve the quality of the breakfast and the breakfast room.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. We had to order hot water kettle for tea a couple of times and we got that within a few minutes from asking the receptionist. Good hotel with personalized touch. Cleanliness is super and the rooms are nice. Certainly value for money.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Great, with amazing staff!

It was a little noisy.

This was in an extremely convenient location. The staff was very friendly and made me feel so comfortable. They also helped in many ways. They treated me as a friend.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

nice sized room, lovely balcony and a decent breakfast
    • Classic Double Room

it was rather cold in the room as the only heating provided was the AC, an extra duvet would be a plus

nice sized room, lovely balcony and a decent breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Excellent room decoration, very comfortable.
    • Classic Double Room

Wifi worked on and off, off most of the time, very week signal. Inexcusable in this day when travelers depend on it .

Excellent room decoration, very comfortable. Easy to access from train station.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Good location,nice room.
    • Classic Double Room

We booked a double bed but they dont have any only singles beds that they put them together. They dont have any view.

The location was excellent near the train station,the staff was kind and they give us some good advices were to eat. The room inside was very nice,venice style.

Arias-Diaz

El cuarto

Staff y location

Good hotel with great location and friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Balcony

We had a very small balcony, no real view of Venice, though.

Great location, right next to the train station. Staff was super helpful.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

No lift Had to carry bags upstairs

Location is just perfect, and the stuff is very friendly
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The shower doors are a bit strange, but despite that the place is great

Location is just perfect, and the stuff is very friendly

Feel we really lucked out finding this hotel randomly on Booking.com
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Only have hand held shower in bathtub

Great location, mice room with quaint balcony, very friendly and helpful staff. Great amenities available

• Family Room (4 Adults)

No kettle, which may be a common feature in hotels in Greece.

Great location, near to the train station and bus interchange.

Friendly staffs .

Friendly staffs . Not far from venezia S lucia train station.

Enjoyable, well looked after

No problems

Perfect location

Great Hotel Stay in Venice

An electric kettle with some tea bags in the room would have been great

Fabulous location, nice clean spacious room, great hospitality

Too expensive for one night 130,00euro

Too expensive for one night 130,00euro

Fairly basic and breakfast was little disappointing x

Fairly basic and breakfast was little disappointing x

Smelly
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The drains smelled really bad in the bathroom this could also travelled to the bedroom not a pleasant stay

IT WAS AN EXCELLENT PROPERTY WITH NICE PEOPLE ....SHALL NEVER FORGET THE BRIGHT YOUNG MAN NICHOLA

NOTHING

THE ROOM,THE STAFF & THE ENVIRONMENT

The outside private bathroom had terrible ventilation.
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The outside private bathroom had terrible ventilation.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Stay in venice

Near the station

Good and comfortable hotel in Venice.
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

Very good hotel, friendly staff, close to the station.

very cozy patio!

very cozy patio!

Excellent location and friendly staffs

Little bit pricey.

Near train station, and lots of restaurants nearby. Good breakfast

Very friendly staff that were able to support and help when...
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Air conditioner didnt work but was fixed by staff. Shower kept breaking.

Very friendly staff that were able to support and help when needed.

Near the train station
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The room is a bit old, but toilet is clean though

Near the train station

Location over comfort
    • Economy Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Room was dingy. Bed was very hard View to the maintenance room.

Good impromptu stay

Floor was dirty

Friendly staff!
    • Classic Double Room

Situated in an alley-like small street, so can be a bit hard to find.

Friendly staff! Location is also near to the train station.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Location is excellent if you travel by train, easy walk 5-10...

Shower doors need upgrade

Location is excellent if you travel by train, easy walk 5-10 min.

Great location!

breakfast was included which was really nice and the location was fantastic and we were able to leave our bags after check out.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Friendly staff.
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

A bit noisy from adjoining rooms and the after hours buzzer.

Friendly staff. Great location, not far from the railway station.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Good, but poor breakfast

Very very very very poor breakfast.

Friendly reception, nice rooms in typical venice style, great location.

The breakfast was so good!
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

The breakfast was so good! I loved the room's interior!

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

staff

the bad smell of the room

staff

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Short break to Venice
    • Classic Double Room

Breakfast room a little small and cramped

Friendly and helpful staff, rooms kept very clean. Overall a quiet but excellent location.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Nice room and good location
    • Classic Double Room

Convenient, easy to find because very close to SM train station.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Very close to the railway station.
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

The young girl receptionist was very helpful

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

very nice,,,,

THE exterior,,,,....

Inside all. The breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Quiet.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

amazing room in a perfect location

the breakfast was basic

beautiful room right by the station

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

They help me to keep my staff after chacked out so i can...
    • Double Room (1 Adult)

They help me to keep my staff after chacked out so i can walk free in all venece

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

very good location, also quiet, the staffs are nice

very good location, also quiet, the staffs are nice

• Reviewed: 22 May 2016

I liked the location.

Room was much too small for me. Also, the bed was a bit uncomfortable, and there was an unpleasant odor. My room was located near the Night Desk - which meant occasional late night rings on the phone, and next to the Breakfast area - which meant early morning awakening as staff prepared the breakfast.

I liked the location. The staff was pleasant.

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

Staff very helpful and kind

Decoration in the room a bit dated, but who matters that, you're in Venice!

Staff very helpful and kind Located close from Santa Lucia train station and main attractions in Venice

• Reviewed: 14 April 2016

Perfect staff, cozy but very complete breakfast, clean rooms.

The internet access and speed was not very strong. However, it was sufficient and good for ordinary online websites. but videos, photos and more complicated online activities was not very strong.

Perfect staff, cozy but very complete breakfast, clean rooms. Everything was excellent.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2016

Location fantastic, clean rooms, comfy beds, welcoming staff

Breakfast - needs toast and butter option for those of us that don't live on sweet items first thing.

Location fantastic, clean rooms, comfy beds, welcoming staff

• Reviewed: 9 April 2016

Location is great, next to the train station, it is good...

There is not trash pot in room, just one in toilet. The room where breakfast are served, is small,chairs and tables are old.

Location is great, next to the train station, it is good when you recieve Venise at night.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

The staff is very friendly and smiling!

The bed was too hard,the pilow was flat.

The staff is very friendly and smiling! :-) The room was very nice. The brekfast was good. The location is very good. Thank you everything!

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that they didn't...

When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that they didn't have my reservation (some mixup between their system and booking.com) and that they were out of rooms, however the concierge got on the phone with the owner and they got me a room in a nearby hotel for the first night (despite it already being 11pm) within a few minutes, the next day I moved back to the Mercante. I don't think they could have handled the situation better. The room was nice and clean and the location is perfect (just a few minutes walk from the train station).

There are also 31 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.