Reviews of Kolbe Hotel Rome 4 stars

Via Di San Teodoro 48, 00186 Rome, Italy

#295 of 921 hotels in Rome

• Quadruple Room

The mattresses were a little bit hard, but nothing else.

The view form the room into the hidden garden was fantastic. The area is totally quiet and it was a nice to come back from sightseeing to the hotel to get a good rest, but still so close from the Colosseum and Forum romanum. We loved to have breakfast on the wonderful terrace. The personal is very helpful and we were thankful for the tip to purchase timed entry online tickets for the Colosseum. We were in 2 minutes inside and skipped the line.

• Economy Double Room

Lovely hotel great value for money in a very central area of Rome. Staff were amazing, great help from a lovely friendly blond lady at reception and the waiters were chatty and welcoming. Room was very comfortable, with two English channels. Outside space was lovely so relaxing after a long day sight seeing. A real oasis in the city. Exceed expectations lovely hotel but the staff made it extra special.

• Double or Twin Room

I think the rooms could have some refreshments as most hotels 4* offer that.

I love the garden! It’s a peaceful place adter a day of sightseeing... the staff are always willing to help! I’m very grateful to Roberto for sorting out my room! It made my mum’s stay more comfortable as she is 70 years old!

• Double or Twin Room

breakfast was not very diversified considering a 4 star hotel. wi-fi in the room did not work. I forgot a iphone charger in the room, I called the reception after 15 minutes and I said, and when I got back I gave only the cable without plug. one of the beds was unstable. very disappointed I was, I will not go back there, I'm left with a bitter taste

the room was okay in size

Heating/AC control was not easy to figure out. The furniture, lighting, bath and bath tub all show signs of ageing. When you fold out the sofa, there is no more space in the room to sit down or in general. The restaurant offers good quality food but expect to pay 50% extra compared to similar external locations.

Terrific location - the historic landmarks are literally around the corner. Excellent breakfast, with lost of seating space even in rush hour. Spacious room (although only with the sofa folded). Quiet. Lively agri market on weekends nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was very cold. We asked staff to increase the heating and provide extra blankets. They only bought us one blanket after three follow ups while we had a double bed room. Also the heating was not adjusted neither did any staff member follow up with us at any point of time.

• Double or Twin Room

The coffee at breakfast. I know, they say that one may order an espresso at the bar...

The hotel is in a top location. Breakfast was fine. Large rooms. Close to Trastevere, if you like crowded places for lunch or dinner. Nice restaurant nearby, Normale, at 200 meters.

• Double or Twin Room with View

My wife and me have a special relationship with the Kolbe: we love its air of understated elegance (and its big rooms), the calm (although it is right in the centre of the city, you can wake up to the sound of birds), the professionalism of the staff (from the hotel manager to the porter, everyone is there to help in a friendly way, and spares no efforts to make you feel pampered). The restaurant serves good food - with some original twists - in a nice atmosphere and the bar is always there for a relaxing pause. In the morning, opening times for breakfast are extended and a real plus if you like to wake up a little bit later...

• Double or Twin Room with View

Carpet in the room was worn and dirty. In the bathroom there was a bad smell of sewage.

Nice garden. Quite place to get a good sleep during the night Room with the bed at a messanin was pretty nice

There was bad smell in the bath, which they tried to extinguish with some aroma spray, which made things even worse.

Historical area. Palatine hill across the street. Nice garden.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The horrible coffee maker. In Rome, at a 4-star hotel you should be able to have a newly breewd coffee/cappuchino/whatever in the morning. The bed was really firm and not that comfortable.

Clean, friendly, location, silent during night, breakfast selection was ok.

• Double or Twin Room with View

Hotel was in a great location, very comfortable and with its own, really nice, private gardens. Staff were friendly and very efficient. The hotel is in a quiet road, but near the Palatine Hill, Forum and Colosseum. A short walk across the Tiber, from Trastevere, a brilliant area for bars, shops and restaurants. A decent walk from the Vatican, but Rome is a wonderful city to stroll through, so the Kolbe location is perfect.

• Economy Double Room

Our room was tiny and the bed small and pushed up against the wall so only one side had a way to get out. The shower stall tiny and the "jacuzzi" setting looked like it was long ago broken, and the sink tap had serious water pressure issues (spurt out akwardly and sprays you).

The staff very friendly. Nice breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room with View

Couldn't find much fault here! The reception staff were all very professional and helpful. If you prefer a personal style you may find it a little sterile, but we were very satisfied. Management may want to look in to doing something about the seagulls/ pidgeons in the garden, who can behave in quite an imposing manner at times. (Perhaps I ought to mention - the only negative impression we had concerned the "hop-on hop-off " tourist buss route that the hotel recommended, the "Green line". I would consider going with another operator, these busses stopped running very early, the staff were in a bad mood and there was no airconditioning. Not much value for money.) The Kolbe hotel itself, I strongly recommend!

This hotel held a surprisingly high standard on more or less everything. Considering the price, it is quite impressive how smooth and professional the place seems to be run. Beautiful, simple, but stylish interior and decor. Airy, light, breezy, tidy and elegant. We had a family room on the third floor, over two levels, with a double bed on the top level and a made-up sofa-bed on the ground level. The room was well airconditioned, as was the entire hotel which was absolutely necessary in Rome's July heat. It was delightful to walk in the front doors after a day in the scorching heat. The room was equipped with flatscreen tv, fridge and a desk. The bathroom was stylish and clean, with a bathtub and shower. I read one review that complained about the rooms having a spartan style of decor, but personally I liked it a lot, it was stylish, simple and free of tacky decoration photos or pictures that hotel rooms often display. The garden view from our window was lovely! The breakfast at the Kolbe hotel was the best we had on our Italy trip, boiled eggs, bacon, scrambled eggssausages, fruit and even cucumber, tomatoes and mozzarella. Not bad after Italian standards. Of course it also included all the usual cakes and croissants. The orange juice was ok (in general it was nearly impossible to find decent orange juice in Italy) and I was given heated glutenfree rolls. The breakfast staff were helpful and friendly. When I booked I was a little worried that the location was a little off-centre, but that turned out to be nonsense, because the location was absolutely ideal for us. The hotel is literally straight across the road from and has views of the Palatine hills. If you walk a minute or two up the road you reach the Forum, for stunning views of these areas you can walk up a short road leading towards the Piazza Venezia - and though the entrance is around the other side, it takes no more than 10-15 min to walk to the entrance of the Palantines, Forum and Collosseum.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I had read a review where the person said it wasn't close to anything. I disagree. The Street was quiet with no bars, but that was fine with me, the location great for us.

The Unit was a suite downstairs was a pull out sofa with an upstairs loft with a king bed. It was perfect for a family of 4. The architectural detailing of the unit was fantastic with the steel beams and stone ceiling. The gardens for breakfast and dinner were great and all our meals at the hotel were wonderful. Our best meal in Italy was across the bridge is Trastevere. The location was great - the Forum/Capitol Hill is outside the door and Victor Emmanuels monument around the corner, and Trastevere across the river. I loved the location.

The restaurant food was very good particularly the lamb chops which we had twice! However, suggest that the menu be changed more often. We had a problem with the third bed but when it was brought to the hotel's notice , the problem was immediately corrected.

Found the wait staff to be excellent . Porter was very helpful as was desk staff. So helpful that English was spoken and understood.Room was comfortable and clean. Food in the restaurant was very good - had the lamb chops twice! The breakfast selection was excellent and more varied than most hotels I have stayed in.

• Economy Double Room

Bed is flimsy. Furniture shoddy. Hotel service inattentive. Tried to call room service and no one answers despite repeated attempts to call.

In a quiet neighborhood.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with View

We paid 220 euro per night for room with the view and we didn't get it. We had view on courtyard building.... The room is incredibly cold and we were not able to turn off the air condition, the workaround was to open the window. Room is very cold but the bedding is very limited, you don't get the quilt so we were sleeping in clothes to keep warm at night. The lock in door to bathroom was broken, if you close the door you could stack in bathroom. Even the room card was in poor condition... Last time in Rome I paid 75 euro per night in different hotel and I got much higher quality, than I got here for 220 euro This is the first hotel in my life which I have a negative experience

Lobby?

• Economy Double Room

I was horrified at how sexist two of the male receptionist were. Absolutely horrified!! It let all other areas of the hotel down. I will never return purely because of them.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

It was an excellent hotel. Pigeons were a pest in the garden.

The bedroom was excellent, very spacious and garden view. The windows opened wide and the blackout curtains ensured a good night sleep. Very comfy bed. Extremely helpful and welcoming staff. At check in the receptionist gave us lots of information re the attractions in Rome and places to eat. She helped with tour bus tickets. The hotel is in a quiet location and you can exit from The Roman Forum directly on to the street the Hotel is on. It is a lovely peaceful hotel in busy Rome.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms could be bigger for this price. Breakfast will not leave you hungry but there could be more variety of food free from carbohydrates.

Perfect location: you can walk almost everywhere if you ate in good shape. Staff was very efficient and all requests were dealt with immediately.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Blanket not warm enough and had a big stain on it. Nomerous ants on bathroon sinc. Asked rhe crew to resolve it, couldn't tell if anything was done, problem stayed as it was. Big tub bue hard to get into...

Nice view to the garden. Big room.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

• Economy Double Room

Poor service. Staff did not seem to keen to help. Example of such was told to get out of my room down to the reception just to collect an requested item late at night. Location is 1km away from the metro line. Minimal if not no amenities.

Luxurious and spacious room.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Quadruple Room

Buffet breakfast could have provided more selection.

Great central location from which we could walk to most historic sights in Rome with young kids. This was important as there was a taxi strike during our stay. Family room was perfect for us (2 adults and 2 young children). Nice garden area and bar facilities. Staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Poor information on the taxi strike! We were told there was no need to book one the evening before we left and as we left we were told that we should have booked one the night before. Disaster averted by a kind car driver just by chance!!

Great family room and stunning location for walking in Rome. Colosseum and Vatican both within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

The photographs in the site don´t show how beautifull this hotel is.

It is in the heart of ancient rome, 5 min walk to capitolio/plazza veneza, 10 min walk to colosseum, 10 min walk to the best dinner and night out - Trastevere. The calm and green surroundings, the garden, the luxurious breakfast, the subtil but 5* decoration. The huge room with high roof and the huge bath with massage. A True 4 stars hotel. And the staff was amazing, very kind and attentive, specially to our 6 year old girl, always making her laugh. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room with View

A very comfy large bed. away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre but all was in easy access. Just a short walk across the river was was a large verity of small and very friendly restaurants which had a lot of atmosphere with a lot of locals using them. Avery nice garden and terrace. Very reasonable bar prices. The restaurant menu looked very good but did not use it as we prefered to eat out. A very Good selecton for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Very monotonous breakfast - everyday exactly the same. Lack of tea/coffee set in the room. Not the best spot for tourist attractions.

Nice architectural arrangements. Quiet location.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room with View

Room service menu needs more options that are not restaurant menu items such as club sandwiches, burgers, fries. Most of the choices we could have got from the restaurant at a cheaper price

Lovely hotel within walking distance to The Colosseum. Nice quiet area. Beautiful, peaceful garden with olive, lemon and orange trees. WE had booked in to another hotel in the centre of Rome that was so dreadful we couldn't stay there. Luckily we were fortunate to get a great room at the Kolbe and within an hour had booked out of the bad hotel and were booked in to this great hotel

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

The room hospitality book needs information about the TV and remote and how to turn on the hot water. Some of the electrical outlets weren't working.

The locale was perfect for walking to many ancient and fun sites and bars/restaurants. The staff fixed each problem we had with our room. I will stay again. Excellent breakfast selections.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

Not many parking places. I didn't go by car, but can imagine it would be hard to park there.

Great location and good breakfast. Price was very good in holiday season

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

• Double or Twin Room with View

Very poor service. First time I have literally to make my bed (blanket and sheet was in the cupboard the first day). Free coffee for genius member not offered. Rotten kiwi remained in the fruit tray during the 4 nights of our stay. This was our 3rd stay in Kolbe hotel. Will be the last one. For that price level customers are expecting more.

Large rooms. Quiet location in the center of Roma.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Double or Twin Room with View

Room not particularly clean and smelt funny, interiors need a revamp, door of room was relatively old/starting to break, restaurant facilities were not good, bar remained unattended relatively frequently, wifi was only good in the lobby

Great location, friendly staff

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

Certainly the location comes at a price, especially during high season, and the staff were very friendly and helpful, but this room was not worth the rate charged (and the rate through booking.com was much better than the rate offered by the hotel, by my company's travel agent, etc.). With regard to wifi, I didn't have any problems on my phone, but my laptop (which in general does not have problems connecting to wifi) had problems.

The location is fantastic, very central, but this also meant noise from the road next to the hotel, which wasn't a main artery, but sound insulation was non-existent (this should actually go in the 'What you didn't like' field!), as demonstrated when I was awoken by some loud people passing by on the street in the wee hours of the morning. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, but the catered lunch we had (for the meeting we were attending at the hotel) was wonderful! Beautiful courtyard.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

Beds were a bit hard and pillows too thin for our liking.

Staff was friendly and helpful and room was spacious and well appointed. Large selection of items for breakfast. Finally, the location was unbeatable...right next to Palatine Hill, Forum, and Colosseum. Easy walk to bus stops so getting around Rome was simple and cheap.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

We were in room 121 and the carpet was grubby with stains. On one wall there was stains. The breakfast was very poor; the cheapest white sliced bread. Only butter, no choice of margarine. Tinned fruit, luke warm congealed bacon and luke warm coffee out of a coffee machine. Not what you expect in a 4 star hotel. The breakfast and the room was 2/3 star at the most.

The staff were excellent. The bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Was a little disappointed with the room, The website clearly shows the best rooms and even with the extra charges we still ended up with a standard room. On the plus side it is a fantastic and quiet location.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Lack of people, everywhere appeared empty - until breakfast, and then it was full otherwise the hotel facilities available are perhaps under promoted.

Jacuzzi spa shower, unexpected! Large room with comfy bed and lots of pillows🇮🇹 Grateful for luggage store and free parking outside.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room with View

Little bit of a walk from the nearest metro at Circus Massimo.

Clean, quiet, staff, service. Lovely views. Very much a 4* hotel. Abundance of breakfast options.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Noise at hotel was terrible. They held a function in the garden outside the guest rooms one night that went until 2 am. Many guests including myself couldn't sleep and complained. Nothing was done to fix the problem.

Location is great and staff helpful

Wouldn't change a thing.

Fantastic stay from start to finish. Staff excellent, room spacious and comfy. The garden and wee roof terrace are unique and awesome. And we walked everywhere. The location was amazing. Perfect. Thank you so much folks. Perfect anniversary.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Hotel facilitate no parking. Possibility for paid parking near hotel.

Nice hotel with comfortable terras outside. Fine hotel near the colloseum. Perfect for a city trip! Personel all speak Englisch very well.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Limited lunch/dinner menu, but nice as a back-up option. TONS of great restaurants all over Rome though!

Heart of Rome, very nice staff, excellent buffet breakfast, easy with kids :)

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

The bedrooms are superb and very quiet - Rome tends to be a little on the loud side but the Kolbe is ideally placed in a quiet street behind the old forum and it's outdoor garden is beautiful. Staff very pleasant and friendly - will definitely be back

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Wifi, fell out alot and air conditioning was very poor in the loft area - didn't cope with the heat of the week Didn't like custom of cleaning hotel foyer in morning when people in and out for breakfast and checking out . Surely could have gone this earlier?

Loved the outlook onto the garden Staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with View

No tea and coffee provided in the room-disappointing for a four star hotel! Mixed response at the reception desk-some staff were really helpful and friendly. Other staff members were officious-but no warmth or welcome there! Most of the food and drink served was very overpriced-35 euros for a bar-b-q (without drinks included) We ate out every night as better value for money and lively local atmosphere.

comfy beds-location near to Roman Forum. Lovely peaceful garden-well kept. Excellent efficient air con. Very helpful bar and restaurant staff. Excellent service provided by all of the chambermaids.

great location very clean

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff were excellent and hotel location really good.

Small room for price

Location n breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

The heating did not work The shower was really small

• Economy Double Room

Location is excelllent. Breakfast is generous. Staff is helpful and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room with View

A bit old-fashioned, some renewal would be needed

It is located in a more relaxed yet central area

Room was a bit small

Location very good

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The food was lovely and the location and interior of the hotel was great

• Economy Double Room

There is littel far from city centre and there was no resturant,shops or fast food near there.

• Double or Twin Room

Amazing location with views on the Palatine Hill and 50 yards from the Circus Maximus. The interior garden is fantastic. An overall superb hotel.

• Economy Double Room

The shower wasn't great, ok but not great.

Great location, lovely quite area. Very nice building and room. Fantastic breakfast!

Great location. 5 mins from everything Rome has to offer

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Nothing of note.

Great location, good facilities, proffessional staff.

• Economy Double Room

The room wa ms extremely noisy, make sure you do not get a room facing the road as you can hear everything

• Economy Double Room

The team was very helpful .. the location is great !

• Economy Double Room

Very noisy, staff ignore the issue.

• Economy Double Room

excellent location, very clean and very friendly staff. Beautiful courtyard and terrace too.

• Double or Twin Room

A little bit far from the center

Quite place

Excellent location. Walking distance to some of most impressive sights. Really good and spacious family room. Nice courtyard to chill out

• Double or Twin Room

There ice machine was broken...in the middle of summer

Very central

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The room temperature can't be set from room and there is no complementary water even on arrival

• Economy Double Room

Perfect location. Quiet but within walking distance of attractions, restaurants, etc. Great value for money.

The restaurant & breakfast service was Vera rude

The locación si verte conveniente. Walking distance to the Forum

• Economy Double Room

Seagulls jumping on tables and eating leftover food outside.

Staff were excellent, helpful, informative and approachable.

Quiet retreat in bustling Rome. Great for kids

No issues

Location, location, location

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Rooms a bit tired. Breakfast correct but simple.

Nice family room on 2 stories. Good if kids are safe on stairs, can be problem with younger children.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Wifi didn't really work properly

Decor, rooms were great! Breakfast area overlooking garden was lovely. Enjoyed our stay there

Browse Kolbe Hotel Rome traveller photo gallery