Reviews of Locanda Ca Dei Duxi

Via Colombo 34/36, 19017 Riomaggiore, Italy

#2 of 5 hotels in Riomaggiore

To say something- travelers Understand u are going to a village on a cliff- Yes there are no Lifts on the hotels- you have to use the stairs.

Everything, from the excellent communication via email with the hotel before arrival, the helpfull check in, the beautiful bedroom with A/C great place... could not believe how economic it is for the great experience!

Only complaint is walls are very thin so can easily hear neighbors especially as they come in to get to their room. The man outside also kept looking in through shutters at me which was a little weird so I had to cover them up

Great location right in the heart of Rio. Easy to walk to everything including the train. Would stay again. Everything was super clean. Own fridge. Coffee and tea. Nice size bathroom.

The wifi didnt work, I was not able to connect to it in my room or outside my room, I needed to download some large email attachements so I had to go leave the building to connect to the wifi. I could get intermittent mobile reception only worked if I stand by the window so wifi is definitey needed in my room. Wifi did work in the breakfast room so if I needed to download anything I would do it during breakfast. The breakfast room was small and it can be crowded when full

The location is excellent, on the main street near the shops and restaurants.

The wifi did not work in the room, only sitting outside the building.

The location was great right on the main street. The free breakfast was good with a variety of options.

the wifi was very poor (wifi not guaranteed but a wifi password is given) the staff were not very clear or helpful re. payment and wifi issues

nice view from the room. breakfast included in the room rate. room was cleaned daily. towels were changed daily.

The room wears a bit tight but I had no plans of staying in the room anyway, sleep and shower only

The breakfast was excellent! I had a cappuccino everyday along with a hearty sandwich

Stairs! After checking in (which followed a decent hike up a really steep hill), I was led across the road to where my room was, and had to lug my heavy suitcase up two flights of some of the steepest steps I've ever encountered. There's no elevator, so beware!

Staff were very friendly and heloful. Breakfast room was good with a basic buffet continental breakfast on offer

The breakfast was too bare. There were no eggs, no fruits- cut/whole, nothing hot either except tea/coffee. One two days out of four, the croissants were almost burnt. Overall the breakfast was disappointing!

The staff was very polite and helpful. Great location, close to the Marina, closer to several shops and eateries.

A sound insulation between the rooms was inexistent. We could hear the light switch and the zipper of a bag in the neighbouring room - so hope that your neighbours are slightly more repectful at nighttime. For the breakfast we didn't get lactose-free milk despite asking on beforehand, so we bought some at Coop around the corner ourselves.

Central location, friendly staff, clean. In general a decent stay except for the two negative points.

Cleaning wasn’t enough... I cleaned the table by my self. And there was empty tea bag sachets in tea box...

Staff was very helpful. The room was very lovely and comfortable. Good location.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Loved the feeling of being in old world Riomaggiore! Hotel is up a steep hill, so be prepared with your luggage! Location was great, and yummy restaurants nearby.

Information on availability of the hiking tracks are difficult to find. But that's not the fault of the staff.

Very helpful staff! Thank you! Spacious balcony.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

the smell of mildew, no access to roof, small bathroom, parking was inconvenient and staff reported inaccurate price for parking garage, child bed was not comfortable

We enjoyed the breakfast especially the coffee and croissants. We also enjoyed the proximity to the shore and the downtown area, the great view, the kitchen staff were kind and helpful, super comfy beds

Maybe the cover clothes on the sofa bed can be changed. I do not need to use sofa bed. But the covering cloth on it looks a little old.

The village is a small town. There is only one main road in the village. The hotel locates on the main road. The staff allows depositing luggage after checking out in the last day. There is one small fridge in my room. But I hear that not every room has a fridge.

The room was small and the layout bad making it difficult to get about - re-thinking that would help a lot.

Central location though in the upper part of town - the night was quiet. Balcony was good.

Dreadful room - we had no. 10 but they seem to be dotted around lots of properties. None of which is called Locanda Dei Duce! Lots of very steep stairs to climb to get to our room which was below the top floor. No help wit( the luggage. We could hear the people above us moving around. Our friends in the room next to us complained about how thin the walls were so could hear us. We could hear their shower. To watch the Tvmeant sitting on the bed and craning our necks up to the corner of the room’s ceiling - and we could not lean back as there was a beam on the wall. Very uncomfortable! We asked for 2 extra pillows as there were only 2 between us and whilst they brought them very quickly they did not provide the pillowcases. The bed was OK but the sheet was straight over the mattress and kept coming undone as it was not big enough so very unhygienic to be sleeping on the bare mattress. Tea and coffee provided but no milk. Room has the facilities described on website but all very tatty and in need Of repair and a spruce up. Located Steep uphill climb up the road from the station, but so are most places in the village. Very expensive for what you get for the price. Breakfast taken in another building and very hit and miss as to what you get - and certainly no eggs, I was frowned at when I asked. Breakfast staff either very helpful or the opposite, depending on who was working that day.

Near restaurants.

The woman at the front desk suggested I take a room higher up to get a good view. I had to lug my suitcase-with just a bit of help- up 45 very steep stairs My "view" out the back balcony was of a building and rusty rooftops. The "view" out the front window was if the street. Very noisy within hearing distance of a bar with loud music and people partying Riomaggiore is built on a steep hill,as are the other towns in CT, and this hotel is at almost the very top of that hill By the time i got there, I was exhausted and sweating

the hotel was very ITALIAN

Tiny shower. Steep walk from train station (I guess that can't be avoided). Lots and lots of steps to get to room. Triple room was really dark.

Simple hotel right on the main drag in Riomaggiore. Wifi didn't work in the room when we got there but they did get it fixed. Good location for visiting Cinque Terra. Breakfast was fine. Excellent directions provided before we arrived.

Intermittent wifi. If you're not fit you'll be quite out of breathe but this is the Cinque Terre

Very good location as not too far from station and not too many steps to climb. Breakfast was good.

Don't expect to park your car in front of the B&B because there's simply no access. You have to park about 300m up the hill where there is a public parking garage. The pain in the ass comes the day after when you've to pay about 24€ for a night at a ticket machine which doesn't accept credit cards or new 20€ bancnotes ... WiFi was announced on the website, but was not working in the room.

Perfect location for visiting this town. Located in a traditional style house.

Nothing. It was great all-around.

Great location on the main street of Riomaggiore. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, nice bathrooms with great shower pressure, and air conditioning with is very necessary in the summer. The owner/concierge was very hospitable as well.

Poor service on arrival, met with irritation regarding late arrival despite our messaging via email and via phone. We were charged a late fee (!) for arriving after 2100, and scolded for arriving 30 minutes after our stated arrival and not phoning (we tried, but limited phone reception on coast and in tunnels)... we missed a train connection Recommend staying off of main street as the noise was terrible starting at 530 am (trash service and delivery trucks), overall disappointing experience, but beautiful village.

Nice village. Clean room.

The 3 flights of big, steep stairs (no lift) to get to my room, after the steep hill climb from the station. Water from the shower seeped into the bedroom. Wifi only worked on the outdoor steps near reception.

Great aircondioning, quiet room.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Italy in august is hot, count on +35°C day temrqture.

The small windiling croked streets and stairs going all over rhe village, the friut and the hiking

What I didn't like could not be helped - many steep stairs as the only way to and from the room, steep incline to the hotel and no taxis from the train station to the hotel. However, that is the nature of Riomaggiore and Cinque Terre generally.

Good location. Nice and clean room. Very friendly and helpful staff. Beside offering many valuable information, they replaced faulty mini fridge within hours and provided solution for a transportation issue. (Thank you, Julia! <3 ) Tasty breakfast. Decent Wi-Fi.

maybe the wifi but no big deal.

The staff was very pleasant and easily accesible. The included breakfast was a perfect was to start the day. The room was perfect.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

The door to our second room stuck easily and my teenage daughter ended up stuck in the room for 30 minutes until we checked on her. It was very distressing because we could not receive her messages while in the hotel. Not everyone can receive data even from your ISP because of the beautiful rock walls of the architecture.

The air conditioning was very powerful and effective which was highly valued during the summer. The rooms were very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The lock on the door was a bit tricky to work. The mattresses were pretty old and should be replaced, and one of the bed slats was broken, making it a little uncomfortable. It's a bit of a hike up the hill from the train station, but that's just how it goes in this part of the world!

We were upgraded to an apartment when we arrived for no extra, and it was delightful. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. I might have thought it was too expensive had we not had so much space. The wifi worked for us, but we were in the main building above the entrance.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

It was really noisy, you could hear all of the neighbors when they came or left.

The staff was nice and friendly and the breakfast was good. Air conditioning worked great and the cleaning staff always did a thorough job.

Can't think of anything I didn't like!

Location smack bang in middle of town, friendly helpful staff, cleaned the room everyday, good breakfast, what's not to like :-)

The stairs leading to the rooms were small and steep! Be warned if you have a heavy suitcase you will have a hard time.

The location was very nice, right in the heart of Riomaggiore. The rooms were small but had been redone somewhat recently and had a nice aesthetic.

The only thing that was annoying to me is that Wi-Fi was not available in the room, and I had to leave my room & take my tablet over to the reception area to use Wi-Fi to purchase train tickets for later in the day.

The small L shaped room was just the right size for a single traveler and was very sunny with 3 large windows. It was located across the street from the reception area and as in almost all accommodations in the Cinque Terre was up a flight of stairs. Travelers to the Cinque Terre should know that B&B's/affitacamere/ and older hotels do NOT have elevators. The buildings are sometimes 500 years old...this was not an expectation for me and I do not have a problem with that. The breakfast served in a dining area around the corner from the reception area was adequate and the staff friendly. The shower worked and had hot water within a short period of time. I arrived early and was able to leave my luggage in the reception area before check-in.

The hotel bar was a little ways away from the hotel.

Great staff....great breakfast. I loved this location and town. The ladies were fantastic in the front desk. Lots of recommendations.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

It was a long walk uphill to the property. Then there were many stairs. The young lady at reception offered to help with the stairs and our suitcases, but my husband wasn't going yo allow that. Internet kept dropping out and we had to keep reapplying with password.

Great location, right in the heart of the town. Nice breakfast.

Small single bed with soft mattress, WiFi only accessible from common area (essentially outside near reception), no English TV..

Central location & modern room .

Very tight parking spot: 30 min to get in and get out :(

Very helpful at arrival, called to ask if we need the parking spot and explaining how to get to the hotel

In the heart of Riomaggiore you can find this excellent hotel with small but comfortable rooms. Breakfast is great and coffee is real Italian. Be sporty for the stairs you have to climb in the village and in the hotel as well!

The hotel is good, but there are few negative moments about it: 1. Photo on booking.com of single room is from some other double room. Single room is much smaller, bed is also small. 2. They did not give me welcome drink as for booking genius traveller, they only gave me discount card to their bar. 3. At first night they forgot to give me a bedsheet, what I realised very late. Had to sleep without it. 4. It may be the case to you, but breakfast starts at 8. From my perspective it is very late for that place, because if you want to go trekking better to start earlier when sun is not so hard.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Facilities are aged and the logo of the hotel is not easy to see from the main street so I passed by several times without noticing.

Room's tidy. Location is good. Bed and shower are satisfying. I should stay here after hiking.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Wifi is very spotty- don't bring lots of luggage for there is distance to cover from your transportation to hotel. Lots of stairs- but that's not the hotels fault.

Location, staff very helpful, breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Nothing we were completely satisfied

Great location and in my opinion, one of the best towns of the 5! The location was perfect, the hotel comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was included which was great. And the hotel staff couldn't be more accommodating. They made restaurant suggestions and reservations for us! They were great. I definitely would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

There is a church nearby and the bell rings every hour, including the night. It didn't bother me so much but it could be an issue for light sleepers.

Great location. Good cost benefit Breakfast was very simple, but satisfying. Friendly staff. It was a good place for the price paid.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

we had to climb to the 3 rd floor. so it was like exercise

licated in the heart of the village. waljing distance from train. more like a flat than a room. clean. comfortable

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

I often had to sit out on the balcony to make the wifi work..and it is next to a church., so expect church bells at 6 Amish.

It really gave me a good feeling of being in the town...I liked that.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Too expensive Reception area a mess Break area was the size of a closet Do not book here

Location good Pictures on the website are false, room looked nothing like it Run-down, not even a 1 star Poor value for money

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

The hikers staying in town were partying into the night on Saturday, so bring earplugs. Room seemed more like a dorm room than a well appointed hotel room.

Adequate breakfast. Location is right in Riomaggiore, so you are where everything is happening. Staff was congenial and helpful. Great location for an early srart to hiking.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Our arrival was met by a closed door at reception. We had just negotiated the steep climb from the train station. Eventually the grumpy receptionist arrived. Maybe she had also done the climb. Thus began the next clamber up 4 flights of narrow stairs, some without railings, to our room. I tried to remember that description when I booked but, with a lack of oxygen to the brain at that stage, my memory was blurred. The room was fairly basic and she told us we had to leave any trash in the containers at the bottom of the stairs. The bathroom was unbelievably narrow with an odd step in the middle. Thankfully we are fit and thin but were unable to pass by each other and did manage to stub our toes in the night when nature called. The chuch we could see from our window was gorgeous and charming until 4am, 5am and hourly when the bells rang. Despite the height, the street noise was also disturbing. The wifi was non existent. The grumpy one told us there was one line for the whole hotel and was slow. No, it didn't work at all despite being advertised Breakfast was included in a small room off an alley. The coffee was very good, the food pretty bad and the clattering by the server in the small adjacent room made it less than enjoyable. She seemed to want us to stay for as little a time as possible. Compared to other hotels in Italy for the same or less price, this one is not good value and not well represented for a potential guest and colored our stay in beautiful Riomaggiore

The coffee at breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Breakfast area was very small and we usually had to wait for a space to open up. Breakfasts were good but not great.

LOVED the location...rooms were super clean, nicely decorated and staff was really friendly and helpful!! LOVE CINQUE TERRE!

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Wifi doesn't work in breakfast area. Only place for wifi is when standing outside the reception area on the cobbled steps.

Clean room and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

No WiFi in the hotel. In this day and age, that is odd given that there is a phone in every room. The steps to the room can be very steep. Not recommended for visitors with knee problems and those are are advanced in age.

Located in the very heart of Riomaggiore. Excellent restaurants and bars nearby. The picturesque beach is less than 10 minutes away by foot.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

The structure is not adapted to family with children, old people or people with mobility problems. Too many steps, difficult with heavy suitcases. Bathroom was too small as well as the shower

Staff is very nice and it is close to restaurantes and bars. We did not need to switch the AC on, a lovely breeze entered by the window

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

The wifi did not work in the rooms. This was frustrating when I was trying to plan things, you needed to go outside and across the street.

Free breakfast was nice. Really close to the beach and train station. Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

This was a budget hotel with non budget prices. It was extremely basic. Wifi did not work. If you are looking to stay in a hostel this is a step above but if you were expecting more than this is not the right hotel for you. We stayed in other towns paying the same amount of money and had much larger rooms, bigger beds, nicer bathrooms and much more for your money. This hotel was not worth the amount of money. The town was sweet but I would not recommend this hotel or the Cinque Terras for a vacation when there are so many other places that are more beautiful, clean with less tourists and the food would be much better.

The staff were very sweet and accommodating. There was AC.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

There were two single beds placed togeher which really made it difficult to sleep and the room was quite drab, frsh paint and curtain would be a good idea. A larger fridge for cold drinks in such a hot place.

The location was simply superb, staff were excellent, efficient and cheerful also. Very clean place. Fridge was great but small.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

No wifi in rooms or at breakfast Basic accommodation for price but that is typical for cinque Terre

Very clean and cleaned each day Simple but nice breakfast - 3 cereals, yoghurt, cakes, cheese, ham, crossaint and bread Fantastic location

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

Wifi didn't work, would not connect and breakfast room very crowded and small. But wouldn't put me off from staying there again.

Location was very good. Very close to center, but away from busyness. Staff very kind and helpful. Very nice room, with air conditioning, which was needed.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Booking.com book me a room in the wrong town. I was trying to book in Monterosso, not Riomaggiore.. This caused quite a bit of trouble!

Location, friendly staff, breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Getting a plumbing problem fixed: coming back to the room one afternoon, we discovered that the shower only had hot water - no cold. It took two trips to the office and an impassioned argument with the office people to persuade them that we did indeed know how to regulate water temperature and that there actually was a problem. Once someone finally came, the problem was fixed immediately (a valve in the wall regulating cold water had been closed) but the whole process was unnecessary and really unfriendly.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Great location on Via Colombo, the main street in Riomaggiore. Basic, clean, comfortable room, with wifi available at the office. Wonderful, friendly and helpful staff!

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Free WiFi only worked sitting outside on the steps

Unique location in a unique town. Bedroom up a very narrow alley and steep steps from reception, but that's the nature of the town

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Very thin walls that made for very little privacy. Lots of uneven old stone steps-not a place for mature travelers who might have difficulty with walking.

Good location on Riomaggiore's Main Street. Very nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

The staff where so friendly and nothing was too much trouble .. Great location .. The rooms were simple but had everything you needed !! The beds were comfy and all my freinds said they slept like a baby !!

The stairs

Great location. Small, comfortable room with in room tea and coffee, hair dryer, shampoo etc. very good breakfast that was included

The staff was extra nice,very helpful

The location was perfect right in the heart of the village we had a balcony as well and the staff super friendly and spoke good English

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Dragging luggage up those stairs

Friendly staff, location.

No wifi after we were told there was wifi--- very cold and not enough blankets

Location was good

I enjoyed my stay and the staff was very nice.

Church bells clanging at 2, 3, 4 am. Not necessary for anyone!

Ambiance of the entire region was exemplified with staying here.

Internet did not work in room, towels were more like a tea towel and a serviette. Breakfast was minimal

Good location, close to station and marina

Beautiful location and very friendly and helpful staff

Advertised with wifi but no wifi. Breakfast poor. Nothing to prevent flies getting on fruit.

• Double Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Rooms not very sound proof.

Beds. were comfortable.