Reviews of Locanda Cavanella

Castello 4483, Castello, 30122 Venice, Italy

#139 of 316 B&Bs and Inns in Venice

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Gorgeous little hotel close to centre of town.

Gorgeous little hotel close to centre of town. Clean and spacious room and extremely lovely and helpful staff. Hard to locate at first but once we got our bearings it was a delight to stay, with shops and restaurants in close proximity.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The location is everything !
    • Economy Double Room

wifi signal in my room was not so strong.

The location is everything ! Very close to San Marco and San Zaccaria (ferry stop), a lot of restaurants and cafes nearby. The check in was very easy, we got directions on how to reach the hotel and it was so simple and clear. Room was ok, clean and comfortable, AC worked just fine and the receptionist was very welcoming and friendly

Great stay!
    • Economy Double Room

Fantastic location - close to St Marks Square and easy to explore the rest of the city. Room was spacious and the fridge was handy. Staff were helpful and responded quickly to any requests/questions!

The location is good.
    • Double or Twin Room

Small room and even smaller bathroom, with old furniture and all of that, but I guess it's expected in Venice. However the place is still overpriced for what it is. There wasn't anybody at the "reception" when we got there. there was a paper by the front door saying to follow the instructions received in the email. Luckily they also left a phone number. I phoned the lady and told her I didn't receive the email and she rudely stated that "yes you did". Dear lady, How do you know I did? Do you read my emails? Why would I be lying!!! For over €150 a night I expect not only to be treated with respect, I expect to have my bum licked clean by property staff. At least that's what I would expect in a big city where €150 could get me a room at Hilton or another fancy 4*+ hotel. Anyway, I got the entrance code, and found an envelope with my name on it and the key inside. Had to chase the hotel about the payment, since they didn't bill my card and there was no one there. Managed to do it the next morning, but the woman barely spoke any English. I had to check out just before 7am, again nobody at the reception. Just left the key on the desk and left. It's a small place with only a few rooms so I see why they don't keep someone there 24/7, but at the same time what is this trend with just leaving keys on the reception desk?

The location is good. 3-4 minutes away from the boat stations, lots of shops and restaurants around, close to St Mark's and all of that. It's clean and you can get a good night's sleep but it's not an awesome room or place by any means.

Very good Location, Overall Good Stay!!
    • Economy Double Room

Rooms are ok type. Its old style rooms. Kind of did not match the expectations. The check-in /check out process was all hassle free. Overall smooth stay.

Location was really good. Everything was so accessible that we could just walk down anytime.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Good value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

If you arrive later than 3 or 4 there is no staff to greet you and you check in yourself and they leave the keys out for you and a pin to get in. I didn’t mind personally but it made my girlfriend a little anxious.

Very close to St Marcos Square. Once you’ve found the place the first time it’s easy to get back to. Good value for money. Would definitely go again.

I would stay there again.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower doors didn’t close all the way, and the shower was super tiny.

Location was great. Price was very good. Rarely saw anyone else, including staff.

Really liked our stay!
    • Double or Twin Room

Really liked our stay! Central location, good air conditioning, great wifi. Check in was easy with the good instructions we recieved. Location was great especially with a small child- short walking distance to all the sights and restaurants.

Great value for money, would recommend.
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was a little small, and there’s no elevator.

The receptionist was lovely and spoke great English. The room itself was comfortable and clean, we were provided with coffee and tea facilities, air con, and wifi which worked well. The location was amazing and we were only a short walk from St Marco’s Square. The room looked exactly as advertised.

It was a good central location in Venice.
    • Double or Twin Room

The bathroom wasn’t the cleanest. We struggled to find the place as it was down lots of alleyways.

It was a good central location in Venice. There were some really good restaurants in the area and very good gelato.

Before arrival got sent an email which was super helpful -...
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was tidy but outdated and I feel as a result will never look super clean and the shower was a bit small. The place is quite basic but had everything we needed for 2 nights.

Before arrival got sent an email which was super helpful - details about how to get to property from the airport and how to get into property. No one at reception when we got in but easily accessible and keys in envelope for us. Great location lots of good restaurants literally around the corner and all major attractions couple minutes walk. Only met one lady while there but was friendly and able to leave keys at reception as we had early check out.

Great location but there are few weak points about it.
    • Double or Twin Room

Heating wasn't enough for the time of this year and WiFi went off after the 1st day of our stay. If you choose this place for your next trip, don't forget to bring your own slipper (floor is made of stone and is very cold) and shower gel (I think there should be some left in the room)

Great location, walking distance to popular places like St. Marco, Rialto br. etc.

Absolutely lovely, definitely would recommend!
    • Double or Twin Room

It would have been nice to have had breakfast, however it was also nice to wonder out in the mornings and find something to eat.

Lovely hotel to stay in, very welcoming and great location just a few minutes walk from St Marks Square. The room was nicely decorated, clean and warm.

Location is perfect.
    • Double or Twin Room

Smells like an old place. Carpet on the floor is old. In overall, the place needs a renovation.

Location is perfect. Easy check-in and check-out. New towels. Warm inside.

Location was very central.
    • Economy Double Room

Although I had already paid the city tax via Booking.com, it was again requested by the host. The shower was very tiny. Noises from the other rooms.

Location was very central.

Poor facilities without any sound proofing
    • Economy Double Room

1. Shower water temperature is not stable. 2. Old facilities, many cracks on the wall. 3. No sound proofing, you can hear people walking and talking in the building. 4. No front desk after 2pm so you can leave your important luggage. 5. No instructions provided for how to get there.

Good location, close to one of the bus station.

Enjoy my stay at Locanda Cavanella, was quaint and well located, no frills but clean and convenient
    • Double or Twin Room

My only dislike was pillows were too flat.

Location of Hotel was excellent very central to waterboat and San Marco Piazza. Receptionist was very friendly and accommodating, would definitely recommend this hotel and stay again on my next trip.

great location, few annoying things...
    • Double or Twin Room

Brutally small bathroom, from shower to toilet...everything is too small. Remote control of air condition is hidden, actually it is removed and you can not turn on the air condition. I found that annoying and that is a reason I gave 7.5/10.

Great lady that cleans...great location...big spacious room...

Secluded stay few minutes walk from S. Marco square
    • Double or Twin Room

Shower cabin may not be up to those who wear XL or larger.

Quiet location close to major attractions. Excellent communication and client care. Thank you, Anna! Clean stylish room with almost everything we need. May accommodate a family with kid.

Venice beautiful the hotel expensive and average
    • Double or Twin Room

The place is almost unstaffed except for a couple of hours during the day so you are pretty much on your own - I would have booked airbnb if that was what we wanted. Besides this the floor tiles in the room were cracked and broken my husband almost fell after tripping on one of them.

It was super close to San Marco and the water taxi . Lots of restaurants and shops around the corner.

Old Venice style - convenient location
    • Double or Twin Room

The quiet street was good, because the A/C didn't work and we had to leave windows open. The TV didn't work either! Anna was unapologetic and actually took the A/C remote so we couldn't even use the fan.

Couldn't ask for a more central location, but down a less traveled "street" so there wasn't a lot of noise. Room was clean, comfortable, and had a hot pot. Great restaurant at the corner, with very affordable prices.

Clean, great location, helpful staff
    • Economy Double Room

We ordered double bed and they just put 2 single beds next to each other, it's really uncomfortable for couples

Clean, great location, helpful staff

It was close to most things, though would be almost...
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff did not speak any English which made it hard to communicate. We were stuffed around a fair bit at check in and check out. We almost missed our train as the lady was late to check us out by almost an hour. The bed was quite small and creaked every time one of us rolled over. The floor had also started to crack and somewhat give way. We were conscious not to walk in that area as it may fall through.. The room was quite small and the small fridge that was provided did not work. Extremely pricey for the quality.

It was close to most things, though would be almost impossible to find without google maps.

Perhaps as last resort
    • Double or Twin Room

The decor was pretty dated and the bed was so old and very uncomfortable for two people so we had horrible sleeps. The aircon wasn't strong enough to beat the 30 degree heat outside.Very noisey upstairs into unreasonable hours of the night and the stone floor in room 22 has massive raised sharp cracks in it on which my fiance cut his foot and we were constantly tripping over in the night. Would not recommend.

Staff were lovely, good location and it was clean.

Excellent location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Getting into the shower, that was our only main complaint.

Loation excellent. Shower a bit small.room service good. Not easy to locate at night when arriving on a late flight.

New Experience but partially hard
    • Double or Twin Room

Lack of service and no staff to communicate with personally during the day at least at the Locanda High prices of all of the different food kinds and water bottles

The Neighborhood (Coffee shops and Restaurants and other Services)

Decent place; difficult check in
    • Double or Twin Room

Check in didn't go so smoothly. Apparently, we were supposed to receive an e-mail from the host with a code for the door, but I never got the e-mail that I could tell. Numerous calls to the host (with the number listed on the door in case you couldn't get in) went unanswered. Another couple opened the door for us after a while of trying to contact the host. The next day, I found another couple at the door with the same problem, and I had to let them in. I don't mind this kind of check in, but someone should be available by mobile at all times.

The location is on a quiet street, but close to all the best spots and sites to see. The room was basic, but nice and comfortable. The bathroom was upgraded and functioned well.

Near to St Mark Square. Nicely decorated room. Water is dirty.
    • Double or Twin Room

I boiled the tab water taken from the room, it contains scums on the water surface. Hotel has only one floor and there is no lift. Small bathroom. A bit noisy as people pass by outside.

Hotel is quite near to S.Zaccaria (D) vaporetto station, but it was not easy to carry the luggages to reach there, with cobblestone and bridges along the way. Room is clean and nicely decorated. Room is air conditioned. There is kettle and a variety of tea.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Really good location, friendly helpful staff, clean bath&room and overall very enjoyable stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Really good location - a street away from San Marco and very close to several boat connections, restaurants, bars, shops but still on a quiet street, not disturbing good rest; very friendly staff, helpful with map and useful information, well organized and clean.

The location is really good, 5 minutes walk from San Marco...
    • Economy Double Room

We couldn't use the safe box, as there was no key provided. The size of the box is 20 x 10 cm approx. The hairdryer didn't work.

The location is really good, 5 minutes walk from San Marco and close to all the restaurants / souvenir stores.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Would always book again!
    • Double or Twin Room

Not much daylight in the room but that's probably hard to come by in Venice.

Very clean, great location and -thanks to a detailed description - easy to find (a real feat in Venice)!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

I was not happy with the bed and lack of bed linen but Ana...
    • Double or Twin Room

I was horrified that the bed was made up with single sheet on top of a mattress. Disgusting. I had to put spare pillowcases on the mattress until Ana was able to buy me a mattress protector. The mattress was extremely hard and uncomfortable. I asked for a mattress topper but I never got one. It was slightly better when she put on a second mattress albeit still with no mattress protector.Shower could do with a good scrub with a toothbrush.

I was not happy with the bed and lack of bed linen but Ana did deal with it as quickly as she was able. Ana and Sandra were both lovely.

Cosy rooms, good location
    • Double or Twin Room

Paid for the room 6 weeks before travelling, had all the payment confirmations printed and even showed the lady the transaction using my online banking but she kept saying i had not paid and demanded thr payment. It might not have been her fault but at this point it was between her and the booking.com to sort it out and not waste 30min of my time when I'm there for 2 days only!

Location is great, room very spacious

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Its okay for a short trip
    • Economy Double Room

Bed: matress is not the best carpet: should be cleaner - bring some slippers

Shower and toilet were clean. Nice area around and its close to the center.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Hidden Gem!

Fantastic boutique style property. Their own photos really do not do it justice. No more than 5 minute stroll to the Bridge of Sighs and Piazza San Marco. Two quality restaurant/bars within 50 yards. Excellent

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

great location but very short on facilities.

Needs an area to sit and meet friends, have a drink and something to eat. No facilities whatsoever for having any food. Difficult as coeliac and had food with us for breakfast but nowhere to have it. Very tight on amount of teabags and milk cartons in rooms. Had to purchase own milk and put it in cold water in the basin. Didn't help that apart form early morning there were no staff to speak to. The place is purely a house of rooms, no staff on sight.

location and cleanliness of rooms;

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Host/staff knows no English V small room n toilet

Great location and great value

Great location and great value

Fantastic location, crammed room and bathroom
    • Economy Double Room

Missing hangers in the wardrobe Very small toilet

Amazing location, super central Air conditioning working well

Great Location!
    • Quadruple Room

Great Location!

Location and price

Location and price

• Economy Double Room

There is no people in reception

close to san marco square
    • Double or Twin Room

no refrigerator small room without natural light very very tiny TV in the room noise from the other rooms

close to san marco square

Nice location
    • Double or Twin Room

Old property and floors was broken, and when someone walk upstairs you can feel it like earthquake. Otherwise all fine.

Location was very nice

very good location close to transport and st marks square

very good location close to transport and st marks square

Nice place for a valuable price
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower room is so small

The silence

Very good location; friendly hotelier
    • Economy Double Room

Great location; friendly service. Everything perfectly, nothing to be dissatisfied with.

No breakfast, No bar

Location, room bigger then expected, clean, nice and cosy,...
    • Double or Twin Room

Wish we could stay longer...

Location, room bigger then expected, clean, nice and cosy, super nice staff...

No remote for the aircon so we could not use it.

Aircon could have worked

No remote for the aircon so we could not use it. No one at reception when we arrived, but good location.

Great location and clean room.

Shower head was broken.

Great location and clean room.

Great location right next to St.
    • Double or Twin Room

Wi-fi spotty to non-existent.

Great location right next to St. Mark's square. A good restaurant and a great take-out pizzeria right around corner.

Overall the hotel is more or less ok, but I would not stay there longer than for one night.
    • Economy Double Room

No breakfast at all. The floor was crashed everywhere and looked dangerous. We were afraid to step on it.

The location of the hotel is good.

The staff at the front desk was extremely helpful and...
    • Double or Twin Room

The staff at the front desk was extremely helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make us feel at home.

Location was good and very comfortable room

Location was good and very comfortable room

Easy walk to everything!

Bed comfort and decor could use an update but a great value for an excellent location.

Amazing location and lovely staff.

Great location, staff were lovely and super helpful
    • Economy Double Room

Bed was really hard and uncomfortable

Great location, staff were lovely and super helpful

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

great location and great value for your money

great location and great value for your money

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Good clean en-suite room, in a great location.

All good

Great location 5 mins from the main square. Good sized room and comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Pleasant surprise
    • Double or Twin Room

Shower could have been a little bigger but who spends all day in a shower?

Space in the room,location and quiet.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2016

Excellent location, 5-minute walk from San Marco square.

No one at front desk for most of the time. Also the manager/proprietor speaks very little English. We were fine with this because Venice is easy to navigate, but if you need or want help with tourism info this is not your place.

Excellent location, 5-minute walk from San Marco square. Clean, charming, friendly proprietor.

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

5 minute walk from Saint Mark's Square;

Bathroom was TINY - your face is almost pressed against the shower cubicle when sat on the lav (although, you do have your own private bathroom, which I noticed many other hotels with a similar location/price, didn't). Provided plenty of coffee and tea bags etc - however, the kettle in our room didn't work! Great location in terms of everything you need being nearby, however walking back late at night can be quite scary due to it being located slightly away from the main Calle's (but maybe that's just because we're not used to the narrow Venice streets!) Finally, there wasn't an iron/ironing board available to guests, which was a bit unexpected and very disappointing if I'm honest.

5 minute walk from Saint Mark's Square; 10-20 minute walk to Rialto Bridge/Market, depending on how well you can navigate through the many narrow streets; plenty of restaurants/cafes/snack bars and souvenir shops, all within a 1-10 minute walk, catering to different tastes and budgets. The room was spacious enough and had plenty of plug sockets. Bed was reasonably comfy, pillows a bit flat and hard though. Staff (Sandra and Anna) were very friendly and helpful, providing a map and answering any questions we had about the local transport, and even lent us a brolly each when it started to rain etc! Would definitely recommend and stay there again, as it serves it's purpose perfectly - an ideal location to set out and explore the romantic and pretty (yet smelly!) city of Venice, using the hotel only as a place to rest/change into evening clothes etc.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

Location was very good, close to St Mark's Square, the...

Location was very good, close to St Mark's Square, the room was a good size, tea and coffee provided, very good directions sent via email in advance

• Reviewed: 24 April 2016

tea in the room, and a large bed

The bathroom is minute, get rid of the bidet and you could sit down on the toilet, also shower only good if under 5'4". the furnishing was a little old and shabby.

tea in the room, and a large bed

• Reviewed: 4 April 2016

Location perfect, staff very friendly and helpfull, provided...

Location perfect, staff very friendly and helpfull, provided us with a fridge to keep drinks cold. Convenient booking in as had arranged access and key to room, out of hours.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Everything.

Everything. Great place to stay, very close to all important sites. Great staff and instructions on how to get there and how to check in after hours. Loved this place.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

The Location is excellent.

At this price I can't complain about anything

The Location is excellent. This is the best value for money I have experienced in whole Italy (at least the more touristy places)

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

Probably location, but anywhere is close to shops, water,...

No bin in the room, small bathroom, no milk included to make tea, just the teabags and kettle! owner unsympathetic. We came to check in within the specified time and there was no reception! Pretty lacklustre performance really.

Probably location, but anywhere is close to shops, water, and the waterbus, so it doesn't really stand out.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

I traveled with my sister.

No available staff after 12:00 o'clock.

I traveled with my sister. The location was wonderful! Only 5 minutes walk from San Marco piazza and 2 minutes walk from the nearest bus (boat) stop. The room was cozy and clean. Overall good stay.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2015

Owner emailed precise directions to the hotel - from Railway...

Owner emailed precise directions to the hotel - from Railway Station to the hotel-bedroom. Very convenient location, few minutes from Piazza San Marco. No breakfast available but plenty of places nearby.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2015

We loved the windows, how large they were and easy to open.

We loved the windows, how large they were and easy to open. We loved the location, secluded yet near everything that mattered to us. we loved the staff, very friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2015

Directions provided by staff were very helpful.

The bed was so hard and uncomfortable, we barely slept. The hotel is located across a very narrow alley that is shared with the back of a business, perhaps a restaurant. This resulted in a lot of noise from people shouting to one another and stacking up bags of bottles and trash, making a lot of noise. There was no air conditioning. The bathroom was equipped only with packets of shower gel and one tiny bar of soap for the sink.

Directions provided by staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2015

Anna was so helpful, gave us great directions and helped...

Anna was so helpful, gave us great directions and helped with personal requests. Room was lovely and very clean. So easy to locate the hotel. Definitely would return again!

• Reviewed: 29 July 2015

Perfect location, only few minutes walk from all main...

There was a problem with the WIFI. It was fixed after a couple of days. It's a 30-40 minute walk from the train station. If you don't have a lot of luggages go for it. We used the Vaporetto only once, upon arrival and it was our only bad experience in Venice. It took us 1 hour to get the ticket, 30' minutes to take the Vaporetto and 45'minutes to arrive! (It was during the "festa del redentore" so it was really crowded, but we didn't dare to use it again).

Perfect location, only few minutes walk from all main attractions. They sent us a detailed e-mail many days before our arrival, so we found it easily. Sandra, was the perfect hostess (Grazie mille). Although there were language barriers her smile and willingness to help us with all our requests overcame the obstacle.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

Friendly Owner and Took care of our room with no problems.

Light from corridors come into the room during the night but can be covered so no big issue.

Friendly Owner and Took care of our room with no problems. Location is very central. No breakfast but easy to find places to eat in area. Given other hotels searched in the area good value for money.

There are also 42 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Locanda Cavanella traveller photo gallery