Reviews of Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo

Castello, Barbaria Dele Tole, 6401, Castello, 30122 Venice, Italy

#173 of 316 B&Bs and Inns in Venice

Based on 819 B&B reviews

Wifi is intermittent

Staffs are very accommodating and helpful. Prior to our arrival we said we are travelling with kids and luggages so they gave us a room on the 1st floor so we won't have hard time carrying our stuffs to our room. The Filipina staff even went the extra mile to help us arrange our airport transfer.

• Economy Double Room

Is not too easy to find this location even if you are nearby. it's in the alley. But it's ok for Venice)) In addition The lock from the hotel front door is difficult to open. staff know this, but is it enough when you come back late after walking?..)

quite a nice place for a good deep sleep. comfortable bed and room decorated thematically

• Economy Double Room

Too many things please don't write good reviews when they are not

Very disappointed in all for that money we saw fantastic hotels closer to marco square immaculate we asked for first floor they gave us fifth level knee operation needed this killed us

I arrived at the location around 10 o'clock and I wanted to store my luggage until 2 o'clock but it was not possible. Someone told me, by intercom, that I had to come back at checkin time. Strong smell of chlorine in the room after cleaning.

Great location, close to major tourist attractions and many wonderful restaurants.

The room was clean, however there was a mould in the bathroom on the walls.

The location is good. Away from the crowds but short walking distance to everything. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and had very good nigh sleep. The room we got was large compare to other Venice hotels. Didn't opt for the breakfast. Close to the hotel (about 30 m) is an amazing home made pasta place - 6342 A Le Tole. Make sure you eat there. I would definitely come back.

The room, especially the bathroom, was super clean, the hotel let us put our luggage there after we had checked out, allowing us to walk around town without having to carry our heavy suitcases

no heating in the bathroom quite noisy, you hear all your neighbours

Perfect loaction: easy to find (25 minutes of pleasant walk from railway station) and in the most historical part of the city. Room is large, view is very nice. Stuff is polite and friendly.

Very freindly staff. Extremely helpful, they organised a chilled bottle of processco and a rose on arrival at my request. An excellent place to stay with a great coffee bar and two of the best restaurants in Venice close by.

There's no hot drink water and no kettle also. When I've arrived in the evening, I could not make hot tea or coffee or any other hot drink. There's no cups or any other dishes for drink. So, I've tried to drink tap water, because I had no other way. Venice is going to sleep since 8 p.m., so everything is closed.

Silent place of the city without loud groups of tourists. Late check in was accepted for free. We could leave our luggage for free till evening in the day of check out.

For me everything was right, nothing to complain about.

The place completely exceeded my expectations, was extremely clean, size was great, bed comfortable, very easy to find, walkable from the train station if you like to walk... when we arrive there was an issue with some girls that they didn't book, so we have to wait, but the guy on the desk was super kind and friendly, the place around seems very safe and easy to reach all the attractions. I really recommend it!

• Economy Double Room

No elevator. You have to take the stairs. But i was lucky to get the room on second floor.

The receptionist is really so helpful to explain all about Venice. Beside that, it's really safe to leave my laptop in my room. I was so worried at first, but then I realized that it was safe to leave my laptop in my room

• Economy Double Room

The bed was pretty uncomfortable. Kettle in the room would have been nice. We were there in December and there was nobody around, but if there were people around, especially door-slammers, it would have been very unpleasant. They should leave a note on doors asking people to be gentle with the door and just more considerate of other guests in general.

We had the economy room which is a bit too small for two people. The wifi was great, the shower was nice although the shower-soap was outside the stall! There was a small cupboard, chairs and a small table in the room. We didn't use the TV. There was a radiator and an AC unit in the room also. There were extra pillows in the cupboard. The room was clean and there was a room service on a daily basis. The staff were young, frinedly and spoke good English. The location couldn't be more convenient. You get off the water-taxi and it's just a short, streight walk from the port. Venice gets flooded on a regular basis so make sure to wear waterproof boots. Don't take any luggage as there are a million bridges everywhere and you will get exhusted carrying your bags. It gets very cold in the Winter.

mattress a bit tired and internet connection a bit poor

perfect location, near everything, good access to transports and quite; great bar and best restaurant just next door. Authentic corner of the city. Fer price and easy access.

The room was very hot during night hours, although we did not turn on the heat.

Hotel is in great location in Venice within walking distance to most of the tourist attractions like Canale Grande, Ponte dei Sospiri & the Rialto bridge. Room decoration was wonderful plus the room was really clean. Both gentlemen on the reception was very kind & helpful. We enjoyed our stay, will gladly return there

Happy with it all.

Very friendly staff with some great sightseeing tips. Great breakfasts, enough to keep teenagers going for a while. Lovely spacious family room. Good location - a pleasant walk to the center and plenty of good eateries nearby.

• Economy Double Room

no lift but we knew that - on our arrival the Ospedale stop was closed due to a regatta and we had to walk from the station.......not advisable unless you are young and fit as there are a number of bridges with steps to cross

A small guest house with good standard rooms and bathrooms. (it was clear that there was no lift) The breakfast was well worth the €5. Bars and restaurants nearby. Staff friendly. A good idea to ask for the hospital when asking for directions as premises are just off the square. Short walk from Ospedale vaporetto stop

Paid for a double bed got two singles pushed together one was higher the lower one had no support and was leaning to one side and keeping fall on the frame ... looked for someone to complain no one around . Directions to hotel were awful .

The staff helpful and friendly

I didn't like the room, but let's say that this is my personal opinion. But I didn't understand 2 things: 1. TV. The size of tv was about 15 inches. Yes, in 2017. 15 inches. And I didn't find magnifying glass near the tv 2. Fridge. There is no fridge in the room. Guys, you taked 125 euro for a night, and you can't buy the small fridge to the room? Then we asked the staff to put a small amount of the food into the fridge of the hotel, the boy in the reception said, that the owner of the hotel doesn't allow it.

Good location. But it's too hard to find bad location in this very small city

Venice can be somewhat difficult to navigate so make sure you read the directions. They are very well written. Using the hospital and the church as your landmarks and you are good to go.

Great location. Wonderful staff. Comfortable and clean.

• Economy Double Room

The wifi didn't reach the room and mobile signal wasn't great either. So if you need to be constantly online...not great.

Simple accomodation, but very comfortable. Really good breakfast, super friendly staff that makes the stay even better. Nice sized room with a super confy bed and pillow. Completely recommend.

The shower was a little small, but it is Venice and to be expected. It was fine anyway, not really a negative.

The welcoming and helpful staff, the amazingly comfortable pillows, the spacious room, the location and the breakfast. We had a balcony too (room 1) which was lovely. It was also quiet at night. Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Economy Double Room

The hotel was about 10 mins walk from the San Marco square and Rialto bridge .Situated on one of the quaint alleys of Venice.The hotel is a good option for a short stay.The room was clean,not too big but comfortable .The girl at the reception was efficient and helpful.

I would have appreciated having a bit more silence from the corridor before 9 AM

I really enjoyed the amazing position, and the simple but very good looking room! Also, the property gives back really great value for the money

- strange and not pleasant odour in the room - small room with no fridge, kettle,... - noisy neighborhood - location (our fault)

- friendly and helpful staff - good breakfast

• Economy Double Room

This hotel was awesome and perfect for my stay. It was in a convenient location and easy to reach via the vaparettos and a short walk. The front desk staff was helpful and made the check-in process easy. The room was clean, good sized and the air conditioning was appreciated. Would definitely recommend to anyone staying in Venice

The only thing that I thought could be appreciated is a ceiling fan or AC in the room as it's quite warm during the summer and opening the windows can sometimes be noisy at night in such a busy town!

The location, room, service were fantastic. Excellent value for money indeed!! I would strongly recommend to anyone visiting Venice on a low budget! Super clean place too, certainly better than some ordinary hotels! Very helpful and friendly staff.

I paid for doble bed but never though my bed with two mattress ,it was very uncomfortable for me and my husband

I would like had oportunity service breakfast include in the price and refrigerator.

• Economy Double Room

The limited check-in hours and the lack of a lobby to wait for your room to be ready. Tiny television and bathroom was really cramped but then it is Venice and everywhere is much the same. Breakfast was made with powdered coffee and not so fresh pastries so we decided to give it amiss.

The room was functional

The check-in took a little too long but thats not really an issue.

The room and the property was really nice. We also took the breakfast offer for 5€/person and it was totally worth it.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Few options for Breakfast

Nice and comfort place. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Important note, B&B check in time is very strict, but there is a late checking (no staffs). Make sure you contact them in advance.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Economy Double Room

the mattress was is really uncomfortable for us... and to say the room has double bed and then have 2 single together is not right.

really nice place. very kind staff. great location. beautiful building and clean and great value for money...

Breakfast was not a part of the package, though it was offered at a reasonable rate of Eur 5 per head. The reception was not manned early in the morning when one departed and late at night when one returned. Also there as no way of contacting anyone from the hotel during these periods. My wife was ill one night and I needed help but I couldn't get it. Even the person at the pharmacy open for emergencies at night wouldn't help, the man there advised me to get my hotel reception tell me the procedure to get medicine at night. Alas there was no one at the hotel reception at night and no emergency number. There was no provision of a kettle for tea and coffee in the room, which is a standard fit in almost every hotel worldwide. I must mention though that on asking we were provided with a small electric kettle. Otherwise a small clean room, for which we paid over Eur 100 a night, which I think is steep. But that is Venice for you!!!!

The staff were very cooperative and polite, when they were there

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Older style bnb, size of the room is great, but the ventilation was a bit of a problem with the aircon switched off and better not to open the windows for the mosquitos. A simple solution would be some mosquito screens

Good Hotel, extremely friendly staff, great location for the Biennale

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The room is very small, old, noisy and has a smell of dampness, especially in the bathroom. I'd say that everything is expensive in Venice, but that one doesn't cost 165e per night, imho.

Great location!

Hard to say but if I absolutely must then I'd say the longish ride in the ferry from the station. Might as well walk down if you don't have much luggage.

Loved the large room. Stefano at the reception was very helpful and even helped carry our luggage to the first floor.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

Central but quiet. The station ospedale is just a short walk away (water bus and airport shuttle). Very friendly and helpful staff and a decent breakfast to start a good day in Venice.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

We are very satisfied! Very close to main places in Venice. Very good standard, clean, quietly. Staff was very polite and helpful. WIFI working without any trouble. I really recommend breakfast, only 5 € and large selection. When I will be back in Venice I will choose the same hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

The staff was SO helpful and friendly. We arrived late, but the man working was running late getting out and helped check us in anyways. Beds were very comfy; overall comfortable stay!

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

There was no kettle in room, which was very disappointing, and the walls are quite thin!

The bed was very comfortable, bathroom was new, bright and clean. Pattiserie next door had wonderful croissants (2) and pot of tea and cappuccino for 7 euros !

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Economy Double Room

The internet was terrible, cutting off constantly. We had to personally restart the router if we wanted internet. Hope they fix that because everything else was great.

Clean, great location, nice staff

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Economy Double Room

The internet was awful... everyday we had issue with it. We was barely able to use any internet. The other thing was the heat in the room which was constant... i understand it was february but i had to open the window for night...

The stuff is excellent! They are nice and helpful. They know where to go and know everything about the city

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Two single matresses in the double bed were not optimal, but it wasn't a big issue.

Fantastic crew, really good location. The room was not small at all, as described by others.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

The personal is not well trained. They don't know what to do in case of an unexpected situation. They have to call the owner and that is a waste of time for both the client and the staff. Warm water and heating were broken. We had cold nights.

Is well located and the staff is very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Economy Double Room

One of the desk staff gentlemen was constantly asking us which room we were in. He didn't seem to remember we had been there before and it felt cumbersome every time. We had a single set of keys, they could modernize to card keys. Also, they small table in the room was very wobbly.

The host that checked us in was very helpful, he gave us an overview of the attractions nearby (both mainstream and of his liking).

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Perfect ubication, near to Rialto Bridge, San Marco, to the harbor & the boat stations. Great staff, spoke English & the lovely girl fluent Spanish, too! :-) Very sweet the lady, who prepares the breakfast, too. The breakfast was perfect, great value! (You get croissant, different breads, yoghurt, ham, cheese, juice & 1 egg etc.) The building is old & beautiful, the rooms are small, but nice & historical!! Everything clean! We felt very comfortable, great stay! Thank you!!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

First of all the room was smelling absolutely awful, something between bleaching detergent and fungi. Still can understand that due to the conditions in Venice (only the once who have been there know how humid and hard to maintain is everything in the city). But they didn't change the towels the first night because there were no delivery in Saturday, but for Tuesday there were no explanation. The first evening we broke a bottle of beer on the floor. We cleaned out all the glasses from the broken bottle and the liquid, but we were not able to wash the floor (and it's not our job). The floor was never washed for the 4 days we stayed there. The worst thing were that we realized that cleaning staff took all our things away from the room on the 3rd day, even the suits and clothes from the wardrobe and left them outside in the hallway while "cleaning". They were also opening OUR bags without any permission or thought and touching OUR belongings inside (yes we know what we have inside and how it is positioned). They throw away OUR mini bottles for traveling with the shampoo and shower gel even they were full (this is not a big drama but still why?). My dress and the suit of my boyfriend were put back to the wardrobe like they were a trash with no attention and sense that they were there hanging not to get lines and wrinkles because the night we were going to the theater (I still have no understanding at all why they were taking out of the wardrobe at all!) After all that big cleaning there were no change of the towels. Just the thought our belongings were staying in the hallway where everyone is passing, is enough frustrating. Have to add that the hotel staff were trying to call me but if I did not pick up and say yes I still don't understand how they can decide to touch others people's belongings and even take them out of the room.

We like the location and the room, but there were too many things going wrong.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Economy Double Room

The cleanliness could have been better. But it's the only imperfection.

Our stay at this hotel was excellent, the staff was really friendly and helpful. Our room was cosy, with a touch of vintage and fancy elements, such as chandelier. The best thing about our stay was the good location (it took less than 15 minutes to go to the Piazza San Marco) and the coziness. If we had chance, we would definitely come back at Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

Room was small for 2 persons but we didn't care much since we were only there for 1 night.

Central location, close to San Marco, close to boat stations for Murano. Multiple restaurants, café, etc nearby. Friendly staff that answered all our questions.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

We stayed at the hotel for two nights while visiting Venice. The hotel was great, the room clean and big. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was fantastic. Wifi for free. The location is perfect. It is an easy walk to the San Marco Place and Rialto bridge. A great place to stay!

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

No english T.V channel. Quite a walk from St Marks Centre.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and the beds very comfortable. The staff were also very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Safe in room broken. Not fixed. Hot water not consistent. Over 50 stairs to room. Another couple had the door handle come off in their hands.

Young staff were nice but unable to fix things.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Economy Double Room

The room was cold and there was no atmosphere. It's a cross between a hostel and hotel

Location and the lady who checked me in was really helpful. Great place to chill out def not a party hostel

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

At morning is loudly from hostel and from outside, every day was the sime. WiFi was bad in.rooms

Good location, breakfest for 5 euro,but good and its worth this.money Free map,clean rooms

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Empty bin in room daily. Bit noisy as room facing on to street.

Breakfast much better value for money than some of the reviews might suggest. Only 5 euros for croisant, bread rolls, charcuterie, boiled egg and toast and as much coffee, tea or toast as you wanted. However you do need to reserve as relatively few tables for hotel.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

No tea making facilities.

Very basic but clean and comfy room. Lovely shower room. Very helpful staff. Laid back atmosphere. Great location near a bakery, restaurants and lovely shops. Would love to visit again.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

It seemed the cleaner was only fixing the bed cover. The floor was not cleaned and our rubbish bin has not been emptied by the cleaner for all term of our stay

Central location

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Economy Double Room

Nothing i did not like. But I was expecting complimentary toiletries. Good part is there is a shop next door and the bad part is I have to throw them away since I cannot take them in flight.

Friendly Staff and the location

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

We asked for a king bed and we got two single beds pushed together. It was not comfortable as mattresses kept sliding down...

Loved the size of the room and amazing toilet room :)

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

The absence of elevator. The administrator with a very friendly smile never offered us any assistance in bringing up our heavy luggage. Considering the fact that he was around 25 and I'm 73, I found it quite arrogant. The bathroom has a strange arrangement: in one corner near the zinc they put two containers attached to the wall. One with liquid soap another with shower gel. The only problem that the shower itself is located in the opposite corner of the bathroom. Needless to say there are no solid soap at all.

Location, There are no crowds of tourists, but the area is beautiful including the Scuola St. Marco and near by church. There are enough reasonably good restaurants.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

the hotel is not manned at all times...had to wait 25 mins before someone showed up at the reception for check in that too it was after calling..

decent size room from venice standards, aircon was good to have, many restaurants nearby, walking distance to San Marco

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

The actual apartment we were given was tucked away with access via a narrow alleyway which stank of urine and other undesirable odours. It was a shame as it was not pleasant walking in nor out of the place.

My family didn't actually get the room at the hotel that I booked some 9 months prior to our arrival. We were substituted with a two bedroom apartment, which was in a great location in relation to all the major Venice attractions. Nice and clean in a quiet location.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

Had to wait about 15 minutes before someone came to check us in as it seems to be a one man staff and he was taking care of another customer. Be aware that the rooms are upstairs so if you can't carry your luggage up a set of stairs or two, this might be an issue.

The directions sent to us via email about how to get to the property from the train station were very helpful! We loved our room - very clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. Easy walking distance to St. Mark's and Rialto Bridge - just get a good city map.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Economy Double Room

We requested for a doubled but it was two single bed jointed together which frequently displaced.

I love the decoration of the room. It is also in a nice location.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Economy Double Room

Great value for the money!! My husband and I rented one of the rooms with a private bathroom and it was perfect! We loved the location - easy walk to San Marco Plaza and really close to a water taxi stop. It is a quieter and calm location, so not the place if you want to be in the middle of the night life scene. Pastry shop next door is fabulous.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

none

the location was beautiful, off the tourist route, close to a stunning square. The room was very clean with venetian deco and the guys at the reception were extremely helpful, they give us very useful tips for our short stay. We will definitely come back!!

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

None of these things affected my very positive experience at this hotel but, knowing that some tourists have particular needs/expectations, I'll mention that the mattresses were rather soft and the pillows rather firm (foam inside, I think), the bathroom door squeaked loudly (a squirt of WD40 would solve it!), and the rooms overlooked quaint narrow streets rather than having grand vistas.

Lovely large room on top floor (No. 6 - beware if you find stairs difficult!) with good air con and spacious bathroom. Excellent, plentiful breakfast (5 euros) served in 2 'shifts' - 8.30 or 9.00 - by the delightful, hardworking Lala (or there's a cafe next door if you prefer to eat at a different time). Fantastic location in terms of quiet, interesting local neighbourhood, good choice of restaurants, and easy walking distance to all sights (including two awesome churches in nearby squares), airport/island ferry stops and local supermarket. Friendly helpful staff, not hugely knowledgeable about practical things like current exchange rate or nearby sights, but that kind of information can easily be found in other ways. I find 'value for money' hard to judge in a city as expensive as Venice, but in comparison to other hotels offering twin rooms with private bathroom, it was the best on offer when I booked and I wasn't disappointed - I'd stay here again any day!

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

no elevator - we had an elderly family member that had to climb the stairs. At least they put us on the first floor. At first the A/C in one of the rooms wasn't working well, but after cleaning the filters, worked great.

the staff was very cordial, accommodating and the price for breakfast was very good. There was a good selection of food to choose from. Was clean and orderly. Clean towels every day. Even forgot to leave the keys to the room but they picked them up at Piazza San Marco. Didn't have to bring them back to them.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

The air conditioning wasn't working for the first 2 days. The hotel gave us in return free breakfast for 3 days (really nice gesture) but on the 3rd day they said we can't eat it... (?) Also, you can't sleep in cause the cleaning service is really loud... And they always cleaned only 50% - they either didn't give us towels or didn't take the trash out.

Location is great. I really recommend pastry right next to the hotel - they serve amazing cappuccino.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

Room was advertised with AC. AC was broken, the room was >30C degrees at night. We were unable to sleep, which is the main reason we booked a hotel

Staff were nice enough. They provided luggage storage. Satisfactory level of cleanliness you would expect from the price

• Economy Double Room

There was no lift and we carried a heavy bag to the toppest floor. The room was simple.

No insect screens

The bed was very comfy and the breakfast was great and served so cheerfully by the staff member

Had to wait an hour for Alessia to give us access, but all due to poor internet access.

5 of us were able to room comfortably

Very nice place. Located in very beautiful area not crowded but near everything.

• Economy Double Room

The price was good, staff was very nice and helpful location was good , close to San Marco SQ. We had a great time.

Browse Locanda SS. Giovanni e Paolo traveller photo gallery