Reviews of Casa Artè

S.Marco 2900, 2901 Calle del Frutariol, San Marco, 30124 Venice, Italy

#256 of 316 B&Bs and Inns in Venice

• Double or Twin Room

This issue occurred in June 2018 The Casa Arte is a small hotel and the staff are only available at the front desk from around 7:00am to 7:00pm. Sometimes they may be busy elsewhere. The City of Venice has a Tourism Room tax that is not included in Booking.com payment to this particular hotel. It was to be paid in cash by me, the guest, and if I left early the next morning, it should have been paid the night before. All fine, if I knew about the tax, which I did not. I was not told about the City Tax verbally when I checked in (Although it was on the Booking.com fine print, which I did not see). Through a series of unfortunate events, I did not check out with the desk the night before as the staff were unavailable, there was no notice on the front desk about a City of Venice Tax to be paid, and I received no notice information or bill under the room door about the room tax the night before my scheduled checkout. In the early morning we left the key in the room and we walked to the bus station at 6:15am. Later that day, I received an email notice from the hotel that since I did not pay the City Tax my name was given to the City of Venice for a tax fine or delinquency report. As a common courtesy, I think the hotel should have informed me directly and given me the opportunity to call them and pay the tax via a charge card over the phone. The hotel's email did not ask me to contact them and pay the tax, nor did it inform me of the amount of the tax ( I found out later that the tax is 3 Euros @ 2 people for 2 nights= 12 Euros). So you can imagine that I was distressed about this situation. If I came back to Venice, what would happen to me, a 100 Euro fine ? or arrest? Anyways I sent the hotel a bank draft for the 12 Euros once I arrived home. I do not know what will become of this issue, I just want to inform the hotel management they should change their procedures to avoid similar issue like mine. Grant

Location and price.

• Basic Double Room

Inspite of informing the owner about my son's age on mail as well as on booking.com they kept cribbing about the room not bieng enough for the 3 of us.M not sure what is aboit

Location located on San Marco island easy access to St Mark square.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is very limited. For 4 days we couldnot have any cheese at breakfast due to some supply problems. Only jam and butter!!!The rooms are very old fashioned, but I guess it is common in Venice.

Location is good, near the Saint Angelo waterbus station and Rialto bridge. The room is spacious.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Reenc. Good evening. I hereby express my dissatisfaction with your hotel as well as the service provided by you. After a one night stay at your hotel I have to say that it was the worst experience I have had until now, being that I have stayed in hotels all over the world. So that you understand better, I'll explain what happened. After we arrived at the hotel around 10pm we left our bags and decided to go visit the city of venice. As anyone would do we closed the bedroom door to maintain our privacy. When we returned to the hotel to rest and we tried to open the door, the key broke without any effort. You must understand our surprise and despair when this happened. We managed to withdraw the key and then we realized that the door handle did not work and we were still unable to enter the room. After hours trying to open the door and several attempts to call a phone number that had been provided to us (although in vain) I had to disassemble the lock for the door for it to open. After a long trip to venice I only got to rest at 4am. The worst part was when in the morning we explained the situation of what had happened to the receptionist she responded very rudely as if we had been guilty of what happened. Neither an apology nor any gratification for the inconvenience caused. I left extremely unhappy and I can say nothing in favor of your hotel. I think that after such a situation it only would give a good impression of the hotel to have another type of attitude towards the guests who choose it or you should rethink the people that you hired and that represent the hotel.

Check in hours could have been a little later. We got there before the end of check in but no one was there to meet us. We were told that our name would be on our room door if we arrived late. There was a bit of confusion when we arrived. It all worked out when we placed a call to the management, we just hadn't walked far enough to see our door sign.

The room was beautiful and very big. Bigger than I expected. The window overlooked a canal where we saw gondolas. It really was in a perfect location, not too far from all the major sites. Everything was within walking distance.

• Double or Twin Room

The room was dark and darkly decorated. The headboard is uncomfortable to back of head when sitting up on bed. No tea coffee making facilities in room and drinks are not available other than at breakfast.

The location was good for our visit to Venice. It was quiet during night. They let us leave our cases there on last day as flight was late in day. Tv had an English news channel. Bed was comfortable. Their English was very good.

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

The locations was very good, near the restaurants, bars, attractions and vaporetto station. The size of the suite was ok, not very new, I think a renovation will be nice, but generally speaking acceptable. It was a problem with the heat and cold water in the second night but in the morning the manager solved it quickly. (technical problem). Breakfast a little to sweet for my taste, but ok in the rest. The hotel was ok for our city break.

• Quadruple Room

No staff all night, but emergency contact number, tried it but didn’t work without an international code we sorted ourselves out. Staff very helpful.

Excellent location, tiny hotel, the pictures on booking.com don’t do it justice it’s nicer. Olde Worlde. Great for our needs didn’t use the TV or fridge. Staff very helpful, easy access key codes. Would stay here again! Good value for money! A stones throw from the Academia bridge!

• Basic Double Room

Internet (WiFi) is not working at all. WiFi service is 3rd class. If you want to stay in this place, you must carry your own unlimited Internet package. All is well except WiFi.

Location is excellent.

• Basic Double Room

The breakfast is too restrictive, but serves the purpose. They could have charged few euros more and offer unlimited breakfast. Other than that every thing is fine. For those who arrive early in the morning into Venice is really a nightmare. The public toilets are closed, the check in into the hotel is only after 2 PM, no proper places to have breakfast and so on one can imagine.

The location is very near to Grand canal. The hotel is easy to find and the room is quite comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

The wifi wasnt working, there was not warm water, and they didnt explain how to use the heating (its very difficult) so when we tried to call them the first night, because we were freezing, and nobody was at the reception, we couldnt reach nobody on the phone niether (they said reception 24/7 it was not true) at the end finally we found out how to use it. The next morning we told about the internet and water, but they couldnt fix anything... it was horrible!!! I dont recommend this hotel to anybody!

Its in a good location and the view from the room was very nice.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

All in all, maybe a bit more attention to details when it comes to the bathroom, but essentially good.

The place was lovely, staff very helpful and the breakfast was good. The room was really cosy and quite well kept. We had everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The breakfast was OK but not great. In our room the hot water supply was not edequate to fill the bathtub, but using the shower was no problem.

The property was near a pleasant square with restaurants and sidewalk cafés, and within a 10 minutes walk from Piazza San Marco.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Wifi was not available, for some reason.

I was expecting a small room but I was given a small apartment in its place, which was spacious, a balcony and kitchenette. The area of the hotel is very quiet but close to San Stefano square, the Accademia bridge and not far away from St. Mark's Square. Two stations of the vaporetto are nearby.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

The only drawback was the lack of a lift...we had several heavy suitcases and the family room was on the third floor.

Everything was presented nicely and the staff were helpful and polite.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Junior Suite (5 Adults)

Continental breakfast was fine but breakfast room is very small. Had to wait 20 mins before one of the 4 tables came available - and 2 of these only sat 2 people. Also, stairs are steep enough and there's no lift. Think this is reflected in the price though and it certainly wouldn't deter me from staying there again.

The staff were very friendly and kind. No tea making facilities in rooms, but they made my mother (nearly 70) a cup of tea that she could bring up to her room when we got in one night. Location is excellent. Only few mins walk from St. Mark's and from nearest vaporetto stop.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Basic Double Room

The room was tiny but I realize the building was very old. I wouldn't advertise it as being spacious. The bed was hard. We did find someone's water bottle on the floor in the corner of the room. It wasn't ours.

The croissants were excellent. Pleasant helpful staff. Room fairly nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The room was very gloomy and dark. The manager was rather miserable.

The bed was very comfortable and the shower was excellent. Three members of staff, particularly Ronald, were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Basic Double Room

Perhaps a piece of fresh fruit could be added to breakfast.

The facility is small and cozy. Location was perfect, right near the Academic Bridge. We interacted with 4 employees and they were all very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was satisfactory - coffee, cereal, juice, very fresh rolls.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I don't like our room because we are on the attic , so many steps before we reached our room , no proper lighting , it's very dangerous on the stairs it's very dark . And the stairs is too narrow . And the wifi was very slow .. The bed was so hard ...

I like the location very close to all beautiful spots like piazza Di San Marco , water bus station , restaurants , etc..

• Reviewed: 17 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Room too small Air conditioner could not cool room adequately Bathroom tiny and smelled damp Room safe did not work and did not get fixed despite reporting it straight away Took 36 hours to provide a hairdryer Could not locate an iron for us at all in the three days we were there Breakfast was poor, only warm UHT milk, cornflakes was only cereal, watery yoghurts, croissants.

Good location, close to canal drop off so only short walk with cases to hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Sheets could have been changed at same time as pillow cases. as room very hot. Tea/Coffee facility should be available in room. Air conditioning controls damaged and need replacing.

Location good for access to attractions.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Basic Double Room

Don't expect the ordinary continental breakfast. You will get a brioche, croissant and selection with jams along with a coffee (espresso, cappuccino or americana).

Very convenient location - near Academia bridge. The staff speaks English and sign language allways help if you're stuck with any unfamiliar words.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Just wish the Italian breakfasts offered a little more protein in the mornings.

The location is fantastic for exploring Venice - and so close to Accademia Bridge. The coffee wonderful and croissants divine with cheese and yogurt also available (most days). We loved the room - and slept well in the air conditioned comfort. We had the best mussels ever at Trattoria Pizzaria in the palazza nearby.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

It's not that I didn't like, but I write this information here : some furniture is old(the beds, chairs and table; the wardrobes are new), but is in good condition. Maybe some of you won't like it.

This hotel is very close to the Accademia vaporetto station, which helps you get around Venice quickly. The place is in a quiet area and you can enjoy a good night sleep. The Wifi was good and fast. The lady from the office welcomed us with warmth and gave us great advice. From this place you can get to San Trovaso restaurant (it's near the Accademia station), which has good prices and also you have a Simply Punto shop at 600-700 meters away.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The double bed didn't have a double mattress but two single ones that kept sliding apart and they both had a big dip at the foot of the bed!

The room was nice and spacious with a Venetian vibe

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Quadruple Room

The ar condition was not working at the first day and hotel did not moved us to another badroom, even after we claimed it. More then midnight and I was not able to sleep because the temperature was really high.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Stairs with narrow steps. They locked the money on my credit card days before my arrival. The worst was that we booked a triple room, and the room had 2 beds with confortable matresses and 1 bed with a matress with 10cm height, very unconfortable. We complained with the front desk just after we saw the room and again in the evening. Front desk told us that couldn't do nothing and we'd have to speak with the owner in the next morning... In the next morning the owner offered a 20€ discount that we didn't accept. We wanted the problem solved on the night before.

Good location, very clean. Front desk was nice and helpful with city indications, but didn't solved our problem with the bed.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Matted hair around the sink plug :( Air con unit in room 7 did not work properly (we were roasting). Room safe did not work Poor lighting in room 7 Bed was uncomfortable Wi fi was hit & miss View from our room overlooked a neighbours junkyard. Strange breakfast set up: 1 tiny bread roll and 1 croissant each with butter and selection of jams- a yoghurt each, small cramped room-a guy stood next to the drinks machine gave each guest 1 hot drink each.

good location Smooth check in (although I was emailed to say I had to pay cash on arrival BUT the money was taken from my bank at time of booking) Staff were OK Very pretty room (exposed beams) Funky decor throughout reception/hallway Very good for a short break In Venice on a budget

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The room was really small and, since the house is surrounded by alleys of 1 or 2 meters width, there isn't a great view out of the windows - that's Venice. One may book a comfortable hotel at the waterside of Grand Canal instead - and will pay tenfold. Unfortunately the mattress sagged and the fridge was defektive. The provided soap and shampoo got not refilled. Disclaimer: These are only my subjective impressions.

The location of the hotel is really excellent, midway the historical center of Venice. We liked it so much! Venice is generally an expensive town; it must be very hard to find another hotel in the near with a private bathroom for a lower price. The staff acted very friendly. After taking the night train, we arrived at 9:30 a.m. and asked for leaving our baggage. No problem - however we were requested to wait a minute, and than the host told us, that there was one room ready now and we could enter it already. - That was great! :-) Typically for Italy, they provide only a continental breakfast, anyway it's better than what I've gotten in some other hotels in Italy. The room was very quiet, also the air condition.

• Basic Double Room

The matress it was saggy

• Junior Suite (5 Adults)

One of AC in my other room was not working, Breakfast is too limited, very less options.

Location was good, nearby restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is very simple.

Very comfortable bed and everything in order.

• Double or Twin Room

Very limited breakfast and uncomfy hard bed

Great location and friendly staff

• Family Two-Bedroom Suite

Everything. Facilities too old and not maintenanced, breakfast terrible, yoghurts were out of date.

• Double or Twin Room

Room was very cold (but we got extra blankets), wifi was slow, fridge was barely working

Great location, good staff

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Good breakfast

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

• Basic Double Room

It was a very quiet location which was nice and peaceful.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

very poor breakfast

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Very bad staff

It has great potential, completely missed by staff.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Room was really cool, large, authentic, like chalet. Breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast- very limited options and limited quantity

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Breakfast was ok.

Perfect for a short period. Comfortable and clean. Great location!!!!

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Poor breakfast

The Staff are amazing

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Not so convenient

Not so convenient

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Quadruple Room

Very poorly lit bathroom with some mold.

Authentic old hotel in good location.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Junior Suite (5 Adults)

the aircondition was insufficient for the upper floor.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2016

The lighting in the room was very poor, and the shower was not very enjoyable. Some of the blankets had rips or holes in them. The safe in our room did not work.

The location is good

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Very outdated room. Sheets and blankets are very old. Beds and furniture are like antique. So fragile that we had to told the children to be very careful. Very simple breakfast. Mosquitos in the room.

Good location after we've found it. Two bed rooms are spacious.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Thin walls, old doors, old locks. Feels very old.

Quiet neighborhood. Staff was friendly. Rooms were okay. Bathrooms well equipped. Plenty of room for the money. Compared to most flats available in Venice on quick notice, very good for the price.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2016

We went there in March, it was around 8 degrees outside and the AC/heating in our room was not working. We asked the receptionist, he tried to turn it on, but he couldn't. It was pretty cold during the night... Also, breakfast was rather modest - one croissant, one small breadroll and cereals. On the other hand, it is not simple to find a grocery store in the centre of Venice, so it is easier to have breakfast at the hotel, even though it's not the best one.

The location was great - close to San Marco and other important sights. If you are looking for nice place to stay in a neighbourhood that is only walking distance away from the city centre and for good price, then you should definitely consider it. The place is clean and rooms are large.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2016

Couldn't find it looked everywhere for 3 hours in the end had to meet the receptionist because still couldn't locate the Geust house also wasn't told about the floods

The guest house was ok

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

The staff were all very nice and helpful, the breakfast was simple but delicious and fresh. We stayed in a spacious studio apartment in an adjacent building with a small balcony looking onto a small canal. It was one of the cheapest places I could find when searching and it was great value for money for Venice and the great location!

• Reviewed: 31 January 2016

Our room was not directly in the hotel which made us feel a bit weird at times, especially when the other guests in that part of the hotel didn't lock the roadside door correctly..

The breakfast was nice, albeit small =) Location was lovely !!

• Reviewed: 27 December 2015

Managing expectations needs to get improved: when booking our stay, the description indicated the room selected by us with 24sqm. As a matter of fact, we were staying in this property twice in the past 5-7 years and always got a spacious room (in buildings adjacent to the main building). We did not have any reason to think it would be different this time. However, we got a tiny room of hardly 12sqm. We eventually got used to the size of our room, just the initial expectation was somewhat different. Room facilities would require some renewal (TV, fridge, bathroom, etc.). Nevertheless, as said, good value for money.

Great location, pleasant, helpful and attentive staff. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2015

The room lights are so dim you'll have to bring a torchlight. Owner should not stinge on electricity. To get cheap bright lighting I suggest the owner buy an Ikea NOT standing lamp with a 22W energy saving bulb. That will brighten up the room at minimum cost. The dimness of the room made our stay miserable. And the stingy owner does not have high speed wifi. It is difficult to get wifi. There is a notice with the excuse that optic fibre is being installed. Maybe it is a permanent notice...so that you don't ask "why so hard to get wifi"? And don't get the owner started on wanting to take your breakfast earlier than the appointed time of 8 am. You may want to enter the breakfast room a few minutes earlier but the owner's attitude is something like "Watch my lips....NO!"

Convenient location just 3 minutes walk from Accademia water bus stop. But make sure you have GPS to find your way from the Accademia stop to the hotel Or download a map beforehand. Quadruple room cramped for 4 people but liked the big bathroom. The two Filipino staff were courteous and helpful

• Reviewed: 14 October 2015

Our room was a bit dark - added to the 'Venetian' feel I guess. We had to carry suitcases to the top floor on a narrow staircase.

Great location & easy to find; staff were very helpful. The room had a lovely 'Venetian' feel to it with exposed wooden beams & tapestry-like bedspreads. The Continental breakfast was very good & the lady running it was friendly & efficient.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2015

I arrive in Venice at 10 pm, I couldn't find the place because is hidden on a small street close to Saint Samuel. I ring up the phone number that is on booking.com of curs that nobody answered on the phone. I searched the hotel 3 hours. First 2 days they put me in a room on the last floor, after that they told me that I must move from there because it is a 5 person room. I mast mention that this 2 days I couldn't access the internet because the wireless was weary week! In the new location on second floor there was internet (ultra slow) but the hot weather was liking in the shower. in the morning the breakfast is composed from one croissant on bred (10 cm long) and one small butter. My advice is to find an another place for this money !!!!!!

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

The staff , specially the Phillipines Ronaldo and Alma, were fantastic, always present, trying to do their best. Also, the location was very convenient and the breakfast quite adequate.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

The shower pressure wasn't very good

The location was wonderful, the hotel felt very Venetian with lovely tapestry like bedspread, and very good value for money

• Reviewed: 10 September 2015

Weak wifi connection, one employee insisted we pay at the check in, but turned out it was not a problem to pay at the end.

Great location, comfortable beds, Venetian design of rooms, high ceilings, reasonable price.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2015

we were shifted to another hotel which is a property of Casa Artè! There was no staff! We were greeted by a Skype call in the reception! It was a ghost town! Was a bit scary experience! Breakfast was 1 croissant and 1 bread with 1 jam per person and u take it to ur room to eat because there is no place! Coffee available!

The location was easy to find

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

The reception wasn't very appealing and the breakfast area was inadequate. 1st impressions wasn't good

I stayed in the family room it was adequate and generally was better than I expected

• Reviewed: 9 August 2015

During our two night stay, we were informed that we would be moved at some point to another room after our first night, when no reason why, so when asked, they couldn't give me an explanation. The showers smelled terrible in both rooms we stayed in, and the general feeling was that the place could do with a good clean. Breakfast was quite comical, 4 tables in a room which was far too small to be called a restaurant.

Location is perfect

• Reviewed: 7 August 2015

Wi-fi was not so good - I need to stay near the door of the room in order to get it.

The breakfast was very good - croissant is one of the best I've tasted in Italy. The room is quiet big and the design is nice.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2015

Very few lights in the apartment actually worked - for those that did there were no plugs!

Staff was very friendly and helpful and it was great to have our own separate apartment. And air conditioning was nice!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2015

Reception staff was unfriendly and rude. Cleaning and breakfast lady was pleasant. Rooms were a bit dark and musty.

Location was good, air conditioned, near to main square and train station

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

The air conditioning didn't work. We were told to put it on at 24 degrees minimum to make it work (24 degrees by Scottish standards is still hot) and it still didn't cool the room below 30 degrees. The breakfast was basic but fair.

The location was excellent! Easy walking distance to all of the sights and 5 minute walk to the nearest water-bus stop (Accademia).

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

far away from the train station so I would suggest to take the water bus to get there

great location, very good breakfast - amazing fresh croissants :)

• Reviewed: 7 July 2015

We had the junior suite which was ample for our family of 5 with 2 bedrooms and a table and chairs in between...however the A/C was not good...it came out of the unit cold but it didn't cool the room adequately and being in the attic space, the hot, humid Venice heat rose straight to the top. And the wifi did not reach these rooms, we had to sit on the bottom of the stairs to get reception.

The location is good but get good directions...we found 3 streets with the same name and they weren't particularly close to each other.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

We stayed 4 nights while doing the tourist thing in Venice. The towels were not changed once during this time so the owner should review their policy change the towels on a more regular basis.

staff were very helpful and the hotel was clean and presentable. you need to be aware the stairs are quite steep

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

water pressure in shower was very low, hard to take a shower. breakfast could include some whole grain stuff, as well as cheese, some fruit and some naturale yoghurt

location - could hardly think of a better one. quiet area. very nice and helpful staff clean and nice place

• Reviewed: 18 June 2015

Only complaint - the shower was pretty poor. The water trickled out with very little power.

The hotel was comfortable and clean, in a good location for visiting the main attractions.

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Casa Artè traveller photo gallery