Reviews of Hotel Malta 1 stars

Via Giovanni Ricordi 20, Città Studi, 20131 Milan, Italy

#178 of 424 hotels in Milan

There is no elevator at the hotel, and it was tiring to reach the top floor, even though I am usually quite fit.

Cleanliness is the most important thing for me at hotels , and it was excellent at Hotel Malta. Room was newly renovated and clean. Towels were fresh. Although staff didn't speak English well, they were very kind and we could manage to understand each other. Breakfast was basic, but they have fabulous garden where you can enjoy it.

The room was a little small and the wash hand basin was separate to the shower/toilet. There is no lift, so need to climb stairs for rooms on upper floors. Breakfast is basic and typically Italian/Continental. This is a one star hotel but I consider it to be excellent value for money.

Very well located, near to shops, restaurants and metro. Very quiet hotel. Beds were very comfortable and the room cleaned every day. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Even had a small garden that, weather permitting, one could sit and have breakfast in.

Requested air conditioning to be switched on and was informed that only switched on at night after 10pm; the only suggestion from reception was to sit on balcony in fresh air (with mosquitos). We booked to pay in advance, however, hotel didn't take payment prior to our stay and we had to settle at check out.

Location with easy access to public transport to city centre

This is awesome place for it's price! Highly recommend it because of many important factors: Location, hygiene, price and not on last place kindly and nice staff (Anna - thank you!). We wrote that we will be glad to have balcony and they achieved our expectations (even pass them through). For that price it's the best place that you can stay in - keep in mind that Loretto is key metro station crossing two important lines (M1 and M2). Don't think anymore if you have similar offer!

Breakfast was quite poor and all was plastic (disposable cups, plastic cuttlery and biscuits in plastic wraps) and I felt very bad for environment. Nice people but no English in between the 3 persons attending customers.

Quiet location not too close of metro but doable walking.

Unfortunately there is no elevator.

I have really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Room was nice and clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel is located near the subway - so you can easily get to the city centre.

The shower.

The room was clean. It had white furniture and a really nice balcony. The hotel is very close to a subway station, so getting to the city center was easy. It was also close to the train station (15 minutes walk).

Don't expect much from the breakfast. Croissants are fresh but the rest was pretty basic: juice, coffee from a vending machine and package biscuits. Also don't forget you might be on the 4th floor without an elevator.

Cute, renovated rooms. The bathroom wasn't renovated and a horrible brown color but at least it was clean.

no drawers neither in the tables (bed side tables too) nor in a closet.

The hotel was great, very clean, very cozy, very easy to find. The staff were very kind, friendly, they helped us in every way they could. The hotel has a family kind of feeling. 24 hour counter. The place is also very safe. Great garden view from the balcony. Rooms were cleaned every day. Thanks once again.

Their helpful personnel who provided me the city map which allowed me to get to the downtown. In addition, they emphasize their guests to taste the Italian food.

Poor breakfast (add some fruits and get some freshly baked croissants...). No elevator, so caution if you cannot go upstairs.

Good location near green line subway station "Loreto". Functional facilities, quiet rooms, friendly and professional staff. Good value for money.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Great position close to the metro station and shopping street corso buenosaires. Extra value for money.ideal for any cuople.

The room was not warm enough. The same applies to the water. Breakfast was very minimal but ok.

The room was clean and comfortable. It was nice as well. The location was good, since it was close to a metro station. The stuff was friendly. Overall we like it.

Bathroom was small but we did not mind as long as it was clean and had hot water. Recommended for young or solo travelers travelling only with hand luggage only since there is no elevator. But we stayed on the second floor and we had no problem at all. Stairs are spacious and easy to climb. Wouldn't have found it an issue if we stayed on the third floor either. It really depends on the person.

The hotel deserves a 3*! It was renovated, modern and very clean. Staff are super friendly. The only things that does not make this hotel a 3* is that it has no lift/elevator and a breakfast seating. Breakfast was very simple but ok - with a coffee machine, juices, croissants, biscuits and yogurts - but appreciated it. There are plenty of delicious breakfast bars/restaurants nearby so you will not be left hungry. The bed was different than I am normally used to but was very comfortable after the second night since we got used to it. It was made with that foam material that takes the shape of your body. the room was cleaned daily but the cleaner only put 1 roll of toilet paper in the bathroom. It was enough for 2 nights thank god but I am sure that if we ran out of toilet paper, the management will have provided us with some more. There was no issue with returning the key each time we left the hotel. TV channels were all in Italian but what the hell, you are on a holiday and will not stay in the room. We had a terrace with garden view that included a table with two chairs, which was beautiful if it was Spring/Summer. We really enjoyed our stay. We traveled on a low budget and was lucky to find this cute hotel worth a 3 star. Many thanks to the management of the hotel :)

Fixed shower in the bathroom (I find it annoying, just a personal prefference)

New furniture, small room but cosy, friendly staff, few minutes walk from metro, supermarket and very early morning bus station to Milano Stazione Centrale

Had my own balcony, beautiful Room, and my own bathroom. The location was perfect; walking distance from the duomo and really close to The shopping street.

We stayed on the 3rd floor so it took a lot of effort to get luggage up.

The quality of the facilities for a 1 star was quite high. The reception was very helpful! good for a 1 night stay if you need to catch a train from centrale.

I could hear the sound of people hammering and drilling from early in the morning. Also my bed was place next to the shower in the neighbouring room, so it's audible when the shower is in use. However, for a central location, you got to expect some noise.

Friendly and helpful staff. Central location. Good basic facilities. Lovely view of the garden from the balcony. I was on the second floor, so a lot of the traffic noise was lessened. For anyone with mobility issues, ask for rooms on the ground level. I don't think there's a lift.

There was by far the creepiest and rudest man I've met in a hospitality context at the reception. We stayed for 2 nights and he was there at the desk all day long for both days... we saw no other staff. When we arrived the man requested our passports -as he should for paperwork- but wouldn't give them back to us until we went to the room -which is not normal. I sat by the reception waiting for him to fill the papers but he sat as his desk, made himself coffee and otherwise nothing that looked pertinent to us checking in. He told me he wouldn't eat the passport (?) and that I should go away. I would not as it was beginning to feel weird to me that he wasn't filling paperwork or asking for city tax payment or giving us our receipt. He ended up giving them back to me and saying he'd call us when he needed them. I went up the room; he called 30sec later. My husband went down while I freshened up and the man told him amongst other things that he wasn't a lucky man to have a crazy wife making a cuckoo finger spinning at his temples gesture (?!) He also suggested we should leave the passports to him for a few hours (definitely not OK.) We went for lunch -where my husband shared said conversation- and when we came back he then gave us the city tax receipt but wouldn't let us pay it until we firmly insisted on it. He gave us the booking.com receipt when we left (though I noticed in my statement it was charged the first day.) Every interaction with that man came out weird and difficult, a bit dismissive without a single smile even though we were polite and nice. The lobby and bedroom were renovated, but not the bathroom -in all brown tiles, very '70s. All were tiny, and the sink was in the bedroom (no sink in bathroom.) The bedsheets were clean but the blanket on top was not and neither were the floors. Overall an OK 1 star room but the "creepy man" made us regret our choice of hotel.

The hotel is a convenient walk away from the Loretto metro station (try walking to/from one station further on the 1/red line at Pasteur station to find multiple restaurants and stores.) It is however a long walk from the train station with a bag/suitcase. The bed was relatively comfortable and the bedsheets and towels were clean. The bedroom and lobby appeared freshly renovated.

Everything was OK, great value for money, clean, renewed, except air condition reduction, from front desk, in the middle of the night on 30°C, is inappropriate.

The bidet in the bathroom is too close to the shower and it makes the bathroom to feel small.but generally there is not much to complain about that hotel.I recommend it .good place to stay

Fresh room just adapted for hotel purposes.new A/C very effective.clean.friendly staff.close to metro station

Unfortunately, this place was just thoroughly annoying to stay at. 1) you have to give in your key EVERY time you leave and collect it every time you arrive...they effectively watch where you are, when you get up, how long you're out etc and mention it to you...it's really irritating....very Big Brother. 2) I got a knock on the door around lunchtime (after checking in late the previous night) "oh we tried to wake you this morning so we can let workmen into your room!?"...the hotel manager then decided to mention to me every day how I got up late...yeah, I'm on holiday!! 3) the whole of the first floor of the building is being renovated; hammering, banging, drilling etc begins every day at 9am. 4) the air con often breaks down and the rooms are then boiling...if you open your balcony door you're met by a plague of mosquitoes, I was covered head to toe in bites by the time I left.

The location was good, close to Loreto metro. The guy working night shifts was very nice and tried hard even though he barely spoke a word of English. The decor in the rooms is pretty nice just slightly unfinished. WiFi was very strong.

The room was super cold. We didn't even get a proper bed sheet so the night was really cold. Also there was some water leakage on the walls, not a pretty room to be honest.

I liked the location of this hotel with metro not far away

There is no elevator, it's inconvenient if you live in the 5th floor.

Located 15 min walk to Milano Centrale. Very friendly staff. 24/7. Quiet place.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

One minor point: the plumbing in the next room made loud noises.

Comfortable (single) room with simple furnishings, good heating. Comfortable mattress. Streetview with small balcony in quiet neighbourhood. Easy access to public transport. Excellent and fast wifi connection. Friendly staff/owners. Nice and clean room, crispy clean bedding and towels! Cleaned daily.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

I was very happy with this place. The room is comfortable and cozy. I arrived to the hotel before the check-in time, they allowed me to drop my bag and when I came back, my bag was already prepared in my room :)....The metro station is right around the corner and there is such a great transport connection to everywhere! Staff is friendly and it was such a pleasure to stay there 1 night during my trip around the northern Italy :)

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

The sheets on the bed were dirty. The furniture was very old. It was cold during the night. No sound-proof room, I could hear everything. I will never go back there.

The owners were nice but a bit too nosy

Personnel are very friendly and allowed me to leave the luggage before check in time. Reception avail all the time. Very close to the underground and in minutes you can be right in the heart of the city.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

If noise is an issue for your sleeping bring ear plugs and you will be fine.

Very friendly & helpful people at the hotel. Clean & great location to the Metro! I definitely recommend staying here.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Single Room with Air-Conditioning

Staff was not that friendly. Well the night shift receptionist was awesome, but the daytime dude was just, meh... Water pipes in the wall will wake you up when some one flushes in the room next door.

for the price of the room, it's okay. You get good wifi, shower, bed, window, tv. If not traveling on a budget, then no.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

Perfect place for a stay in Milan. Most conveniently located at a subway station (Loreto) where two lines are crossing (M1 and 2). Very friendly and helpful staff! Highly recommended!

Nothing to complain.

Close to Metro. Fast WiFi.

No elevator.

Small but cosy room. Quiet neighbourhood. Very close to the metro.

Noise from other rooms, breakfast

Cleaness, simplicity, quiet neighbourhood

15/20 mins walk from the station. Extremely friendly staff. Room was cleaned everyday. Great value for money, would highly recommend

Bteakfast

Very good renovated on a great location

For that price range it was perfect: great location, nice staff, silence. Perfect single room with a private balcony.

The location was great, very nice staff!

cozy family hotel, clean & comfortable. 2 min from Loreto metro station and corso Buenos Aires.

Noisy stairs

Excellent Hotel for price, close to metro station and railway station. Very helpful hosts

good beds. clean. great.

almost no breakfast

10/10 money-value!

The bed was too hard and the room was at the 5th floor with no lift

The friendly staff

Aircon is not available at all times.

Very clean. Comfy bed. Friendly staff.

Good location close to the metro and not too expensive. There was a balcony on the room which was perfect too

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Good location, close to transport. Easy get to popular places and surroundings. Very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Too many stairs

Good location. Very friendly staff. Very good wi-fi.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Close to loreto metro just 300 meters, good staff smiling all the time

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

The heating system was not so great

The staff were very kind and the property wa clean

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Room was noisy and during night I was hearing the voice of pipes of water in the wall.

Location is good and room was clean and big enough.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Really old furniture, long time not renovated

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Double Room with Air-Conditioning

simple but spacious room, well located

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Single Room with Air-Conditioning

Great stay. Staff were friendly and very accommodating.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Twin Room with Air-Conditioning

air conditioner was working only 5 hours per day

good localization, good price

• Reviewed: 23 June 2016

Friendly and helpful staff! Good location, close to a metro station, shops and restaurants.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

The fact that you have to leave your key at the reception when you leave the room is weird Mattress should be changed, felt like it was pretty old and used Toilet flushing has no pressure

Location close to subway, shops and places to eat Staff was nice Good wifi Clean room Free toiletries

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

Even though he staff were friendly, there was a language barrier. No lift and was situated on top floor. Hefty climb. Whenever a neighbouring room pulled their flush, it was loud.

Location very good. Close to Loreto station. Clean. Powerful shower. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2016

There is no elevator, so I had to climb the stairs with my suitcase to the third floor.

The doorman was really nice and helpful; good location; comfortable bed; really clean.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

Bathroom not very big and and a kettle and cups and glasses would be awesome!

Really friendly husband and wife team. Very helpfull as far as advice is concerned. We really felt at home. No problems with with language

• Reviewed: 2 June 2015

The rooms need some refurbishment, it was quite noisy because of the people in the hotel

Excellent location - close to city centre, just 2 minutes from Loreto subway station, nice staff

• Reviewed: 7 April 2015

Shower is inconvenient - water dispenser is attached to the wall, small shower cubicle. Washing basin is beside a bed, not in a bathroom. Poor soundproof.

Good location - near subway station with easy access to all touristic attractions. WiFi works fine. Window looks into the courtyard. Fair deal for that price.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2015

Bed was not cozy very much, honestly. You may encounter some communication difficulties in English to talk to hotel stuff. They were good guys though.

There was subway station. You can go there about 5min and it would be useful for sightseeing.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2015

- thin walls: one can hear every sound from the neighboring rooms and from the corridor - around 9 pm, the elderly portier disappeared (probably falling asleep in front of tv) without reacting to the bell

+ not so expensive + very clean + free wifi + good location

• Reviewed: 25 January 2015

직원이 거스름돈을 사기치려고 한다. 영어를 전혀 못한다. 리프트(엘리베이터) 없고 계단이 너무 많음. 캐리어 가져왔으면 각오 단단히 할 것. 난방기가 제대로 작동하지 않는다. One of the staff try to deceive me on my payment. They can't speak any English at least one of words. There is no lift and too many steps. The heater in the room doesn't working well.

지하철역에서 가깝다. It is nearby underground station. (Loreto, M1&M2)

• Reviewed: 17 May 2016

Friendly and helpful reception on arrival faultlessly clean, quiet and comfortable if fairly basic, i'd certainly recommend this hotel

• Reviewed: 7 May 2016

No elevator

• Reviewed: 15 November 2015

very kind attention to the customers

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

The hotel is not easy to find. One staff is a little impatient when asking him the tourist information.

The staff will help you take the luggage.

• Reviewed: 8 July 2015

bath room drain pipe is working very bad... some stuff couldn't speak English.

nice people is working here.

• Reviewed: 13 June 2015

It was ok for a short stay.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

• Reviewed: 29 May 2015

Everything was fine.

Simple hotel but close to the metro with clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2015

Cleanliness and the view to the garden.

There are also 35 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Malta traveller photo gallery