Reviews of Mare Hotel 4 stars

#2 of 7 hotels in Savona

Based on 2014 hotel reviews

Great highly recommended.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Hill View

The hotel is not near any entertainments. No promenade to go for a walk in the evenings. Savona is about 3km away and it is not a pleasant walk into town. If you only want the beach it's perfect.

Excellent designer hotel. Great location on beachfront. Very modern seaview room (deluxe), good size, had terrace overlooking sea. Air conditioning work good. Open air fabulous breakfast. Very friendly staff at the front desk. Good facilities. The wifi signal was strong. The hotel provides free sunbeds on the beach which was just outside the hotel. Parking lot next to the hotel and space under hotel. We will be back!

When we, and a lot of other guests should go with the farry...

When we, and a lot of other guests should go with the farry to Corse 8 ocklock, it should have been nice if the breakfast has been open half an hour earlier, so you can have a relaxed breakfast.

OK hotel in a bad place.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Double room was small. Mattress was very hard. There is an underground parking lot, but it was so tight that we couldn’t get in or out without scratching the car a bit. The city of Savona is not great. Kind of run down. There are many other towns along the coast that are nicer. The area around the hotel is distressed. Mostly empty buildings and shuttered homes. No restaurants within walking distance. On a Saturday night, all the hotel restaurants were booked solid and the staff never bothered to advise us to make a dinner reservation when we checked in. Consequently, we were not able to eat anywhere and had to buy convenience store food and eat like homeless people on the beach.

The hotel and facilities were fine. Modern, clean. Exactly as advertised. Beach and pool were OK given the location. This hotel is OK for an overnight stay while passing through, but I wouldn’t make it a destination.

A world class hotel on the French Rivera providing everything for an enjoyable stay.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

While double glazed, the mountain view side is right on a busy road. Not the hotel's issue, but something to think about when booking. As with many hotels, laundry is very expensive - often cheaper to replace item! Savona is a working port town, so do not expect too much of the town. The hotel is on the eastern fringe, and everything you need is provided for.

The hotel is outstanding, with elegant modern decor, beautifully prepared food (3 restaurants), sumptuous breakfast, fantastic sea views, private beach, spacious rooms with great balcony, and modern bathroom with spa bath. Staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Elegant pool with cocktail bar.

Always comfortable

Summertime is difficult, I prefer “ fuori stagione “

I like going there , very dog friendly, and of course, the restaurants, excellent with excellent prices

We arrived at dinner time and even though there are 2...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

We arrived at dinner time and even though there are 2 restaurants onsite , we were not allowed to eat because we did not have reservations. Both restaurants had more empty tables than clients. 😥. The desk attendant did call another restaurant within 5 minutes walk and we able to dine there.

Great pool, cleaning staff where amazing. Sushi bar is very good. Standard rooms are old fashioned.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Onsite bistro isn't greatm expensive prices and the food isn't too good either. Apart from the becahfront location the hotel is is a bad location. A 20 minute walk to the nearest supermarket and right next to a motorway. Get the bus into town and there is plenty of bars, shops and restaurants.

Beachfront location, infinity pool and the biggest plus was the cleaning staff are amazing! My friend had an accident in the room. We told the reception and they managed to get our room cleaned within thirty minutes. The cleaner did such a good job! I was so impressed! It's a hard job as it is but she went above and beyond our expectations. Thank k you so much! Also I loved the sushi bar! I thoroughly recommend going there

I will be back.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

It would have been nice to not have the room next to the custodial closet. There was too much noise in the morning. On a positive note, the cleaning staff was helpful.

Everything was nice. I especially loved the view from my room. The staff was quite accommodating and friendly. I truly enjoyed my stay. I wish I could have stayed longer.

a very good gastronomic meal in the evening, a convenient location close to the city
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

room with windows above main road instead of room with a view on the beach

we appreciated that though we had a non refundable reservation, the hotel accepted to change it due to the death of my mother in law

I will not stay there again, not knowing that my belongings in the room are not safe :-(
    • Single Room with Sea View

My watched was stolen from my room... it was inside my bag... I only reported it after leaving by email, but obviously I was told nothing was "found"... It's a special and expensive watch.

Good value.
    • Triple Room with Sea View

Location. I didn't realize how industrial the town was. This is more like a resort where people don't leave the hotel.

The food in the restaurant was excellent! We had a great time at the pool with our daughter and enjoyed our view.

Too much overpriced
    • Family Room with Hill View

Everything else. First impression: “owner” cut off me during the parking on the street and tell me to park in the garage (additional money). Otherwise you don’t have another place to unload your car. Our room was with “hill view” but at first you should realize that you will live next to the railroad and main beach road so the noise is guaranteed during the whole day and night. Beds were uncomfortable. There is no noise isolation between the rooms and even corridor so you will enjoin all the sounds not only from the “hill view” but also from your neighbors in 15m radius. Italian restaurant on site is a complete disaster. My lasagna was defrosted and heated slightly so I can enjoyed the frozen center. Breakfast is awful as well. Definitely, hotel deserves 6 points at max.

1 beach line (just few meters away from the sea)

Decent
    • Single Room with Sea View

The fact that you don't tell your customers while booking that your hotel is under construction and that they will work seven days a week even on weekends......'

The room was nice

amazing room, a double bed each with great modern decor and...
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

There was nothing we could find that required improvement, super place.

amazing room, a double bed each with great modern decor and lighting and fantastic large bedroom. Gorgeous breakfats with sea view, evening restaurant of superb high standard food.

Nice location, beautiful views of the beach front. Easy to find a park, however may be different during peak season. Great breakfast and access to the beach front

• Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Everything. Industrial city location with a pebble beach on one side of the hotel. Awful beach. 2 Star hotel in my opinion that offers breakfast which wasn't particularly good.

Gorgeous beach views and
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Some of the svante decorations in the reception area is not my copy of tea! More likely appeal to young people.

Gorgeous beach views and Lovely pools and patio presentation. Fantastic dinner with friends.

We enjoyed our stay at Mare but would stay on the beach side next time.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

It was a bit far to walk downtown but you could maybe catch a bus.The meals were very small portions.We were on the hillside of hotel &it was very noisey &couldn't keep our window open at night.

The buffet breakfast was very good.There was outside parking that didn't cost unless you wanted underground parking then it was 10 euros a day.The supper was more of the experience than guantity but the service was good.

Great relaxing beach break.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

There were many abrupt surly staff who avoided eye contact so as to not serve you in the bar area. However we found breakfast staff were great and one young man in the bar was outstanding and pretty much a one man show as his colleagues attempted to merely look busy instead.

Thus is a beautiful beachfront hotel, it has luxury and a definite relaxing feel. The tapas with drinks at the bar were outstanding and the red wine was the best we had throughout an extensive Italian trip. Breakfast was wonderful; we are vegan and were catered for which is so refreshing especially in Italy.

Great relaxing beach break.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Good weekend break on the seaside
    • Triple Room with Sea View

The room picture on the site is totally different from the real room. The hotel is rated as 4 star , the room looked like 2 star. So simple. Good that it was at list clean.

Beach, seaview, food.

A pleasant stop on a tour of North East Italy
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Air conditioning didn't work which meant leaving the balcony door open onto a busy road. Restaurant and bistro expensive and nouvelle cuisine type food, a long walk for alternative food on an evening.

The beach, pool, breakfast, good sized room with walk in wardrobe. Cafe bar very good.

Good value for the money.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Breakfast is great but the personnel that morning was not quite friendly. We arrived at the time breakfast was ending and they refused to let us sit outside. We ended up having a makeshift breakfast at the cafe, ridiculous... The room was clean but outdated, so was the furniture and the wallpaper. I would assume that the hotel would be updated sometime soon, hopefully.

The location is great, on the beach, great bar and restaurant. Very friendly staff at the front desk. We had an amazing dinner at the restaurant overlooking the beach and ocean, great dishes and wines. Very reasonable too for the quality of food. Fresh local fish, amazing pasta and desserts, paired with great wines.

The wifi signal was strong, even in the rooms and outside.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Parking was Poorly marked but otherwise it was a lovely place.

The wifi signal was strong, even in the rooms and outside. The breakfast is generous and well done.

Amazing restaurant with a genius breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

The hotel is located in terrible place - industrial area & port. It is also far behind the city centre. No worth of the money for sure..

Amazing restaurant with a genius breakfast.

Very very nice bar on the beach and near swimming pool- I...

Can't remember

Very very nice bar on the beach and near swimming pool- I mean that bar men creating yeasty and interesting cocktails. Also very good breakfast. A lot of restaurants around hotel and you always can choose one ( we went to pizzeria 300m left walking from hotel) also very good sushi in restaurant inside hotel .

Nice beach hotel
    • Triple Room with Sea View

- Hotel is located outside of the city and requires a car or bus for the city

- Very good breakfast - Excellent view and access to the private beach - Very clean and spacious rooms

It was all in all a pleasant and good stay, for us a perfect beach, clear waters!
    • Family Room with Hill View

Didn't get the whole information all at once: How the parking works, how much. Where should I go and pay to have an extra beach umbrella at the beach. How I can acquire the beach towels. That I should go to the life guard to acquire my free beach umbrellas. I would have appreciated to have all of these informations at check in. Rather than finding it out myself.

Maybe you could put bacon, scrambled or fried eggs on your breakfast list.

Nice, but expectations were higher
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel is not as nice as in the pictures. When you go there; you will have some disappointment. The rooms are different than pictures, smaller and darker. There is a free parking but very difficult to find place. So; you should pay for underground parking.

The beach, food and wi-fi connection are the most important pluses. Savona is also a nice village to spend the holiday, small but secure and calm with many nice restaurants.

Perfect beach break.
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

This hotel was amazing! The setting and services were exactly how we had hoped for. The barman was fantastic at the beach - he made us cocktails even nicer from home (home for us is good old Northern Ireland). The waiters were also very attentive and although there was little choice if you didn't like fish they were more than happy to help! We loved the room and would definitely stay again! In particular one wee guy in the restaurant was fab - he'd been to Dublin before and had a beard, wish we'd got his name, but he was fantastic and was very attentive.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Excellent hotel - pool, sea, sunbeds etc. difficult to find places to eat if not eating in hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The evening meal, we understand was excellent but very expensive. Not really for ordinary holiday makers. It was alright if you were just staying a couple of days but when you are on holiday for a while; much too expensive. Also, we did not like it when the beach party took place, they wanted E70 to book a table (rip off). Also, tea and coffee provided in room but no milk. I had to fetch milk every morning at breakfast. I know they don't have milk in their tea on the continent but they have to cater for international customers. Also, the reception staff had all the information about the hotel but none on the surrounding area etc. e.g bus times etc, enabling us to get to the harbour to eat in the evening. The surrounding area is a little run down.

The room with a sea view. The beach party on the Wednesday. Pool - access to sun beds etc. Staff were helpful on hotel matters.

Good Hotel
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Location, I think the hotel was to far from the city, but if you only want the beach it's perfect.

Good hotel, clean and the rooms were comfortable, we had a great view of the beach. Restaurant was great, food was awesome and breakfast was good.

Don't expect too much
    • Triple Room with Sea View

Hotel is located just by the verry bussy street. The furnishing is quite old and the beach is crowded. The swimming pool si small and crowded as well. The sea was not clean during our stay.

Staff was nice and helpful, breakfast was delicious and dinner was fantastic (quite expensive, too). Also the room is clean.

Lovely seaside hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

I stayed here on a business trip. The hotel is direct at the sea. Free parking if you are early enough. Nice rooms. Good internet connection. Friendly and helpful staff. If possible, I recommend to book a room with sea view.

Hotel right on the beach, it is possible to have lunch and...
    • Family Room with Hill View

Very much dust in the room. The walls were thin, there was noise from the neighboring rooms.

Hotel right on the beach, it is possible to have lunch and dinner on site.

Great location on beachfront.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Roadside the hotel is in a bit of a mixed area on the outskirts of the town so if you don't want to eat at the restaurant options are limited. We walked to a nearby beach-bar and ate with the locals one night which was fun.

Great location on beachfront. Seaview room had terrace overlooking sea. Fabulous breakfast and Wednesday night beach buffet amazing value for guests. Staff very helpful. Good facilities.

Nice modern hotel , great for one night
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

The hotel has two restaurants but both serve only fish , as we dont eat fish we had to walk a couple of miles into town to find something to eat.

The room was very modern and clean, the staff friendly . The hotel provides free sunbeds on the beach which was just outside the hotel. Nice free breakfast.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

A very polished good value for money. Highly recommended by me!
    • Single Room with Hill View

When I arrived with my transport the owner of the hotel immediately jumped into action and organised parking in the disused garage opposite. Having driven over 650 miles to get there it certainly took all the pressure out of the ordeal. After that it just got better. The room was excellent and had a balcony not overlooking the sea but the hills at the back which in the morning were a fantastic view. I booked in at the Seafood restaurant and it was above first class. The food was superb and the service was to match. The setting was awesome and the excellent breakfast shared the same venue. There was also a bistro restaurant with a separate menu which read well. An infinity pool overlooking the private beach was also available but again regretfully I didn't have the time to use either. Overall the whole experience was second to none and very good value for the money.

Reception staff friendly, beautiful garden area and pool...
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Room: Room was extremely outdated and uncomfortable, felt like a motel room - no 4* Standard and room did not look like the pictures at all - very disappointing. Furthermore it was badly soundproof (although it was stated as a facility of the hotel) - there is a night club at the hotel, so we hardly slept the first night due to loud music and roaring people on the street. We booked a room with "Hill View", which we would not recommend since the hotel is located on a much-used street overlooking a motel and disused gas station. Cleanliness: Toilet had stains, towel racks were loose, no proper holder for the toilet paper in the bathroom Hotel: Reception area and garden are very modern and look nice contrary to the rest of the hotel. The hallways in the upper floors are old and very uninviting. Location: Hotel is a few km outside of Savona City Center and the near surroundings within walking distance are rather boring - car recommended

Reception staff friendly, beautiful garden area and pool overlooking the sea, parking available (free public parking outside or car park EUR 7/day), breakfast included, good towels

Good for short stay
    • Family Room with Hill View

air conditionning and ventilation in general in the romm was not wroking first night (15 April)¨, it was very hot to sleep (not possible to keep the window open as it goes to the street where cars driving all the night though....) breakfast limited, no hot food for kids (omlette or pancakes would be useful)

clean, modern, private beach (needs to be clean a bit), possibility to eat in the cafe.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

OK. Good value. Very friendly staff.
    • Family Room with Hill View

A little on the noisy side if you have the road side. We visited late December but still needed the window/door open because the air conditioning appeared to be turned off. The rooms are much more quiet with the door/window closed.

Nice seaside view, great to enjoy a drink. Staff very friendly. Convenient, secure underground car parking for a small fee.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Wonderful stay at the Mare
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Just a couple of the people were not so patient with our inability to speak their language.

The room we received was wonderful, we appreciated being on the ocean side of the hotel. Being able to keep our car there during our cruise was fantastic. The gentleman that checked us in was the BEST! He was tall with dark hair, very helpful and patient, eager to help in every way.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

A hidden gem in Savona
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

A hidden gem. My husband and I were truly surprised by this find. The Sushi Bar was exceptional beyond what we expected. The waiting staff was well informed. The main restaurant looked good but unfortunately for us it was a Wednesday and it wasn't open.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Pleasant place to stay right on the beach.
    • Single Room with Sea View

The mattress on the bed was so hard it was not easy to get comfortable for a good nights sleep.

Thye room was clean comfortable and a good size. The hotel has everything you need. Absolutely superb location.

Holiday in Savona
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We stayed in Mare hotel for 3 nights in the beginning of september 2016. Our room was on 3-rd floor. Room was very comfortable, good bed and nice bathroom. Especially I liked the sink. Balcony with sea view. Breakfasts were really a big selection. On the beach were the sunbeds and umbrellas. Free parking lot next to the hotel and space under hotel, 7 euros per day. We had a very good holiday in Savona.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

A nice relaxing week
    • Family Room with Hill View

I went in the end of September and nights tend to be cooler than during summer and the room was freezing. When doing the check-out I was given a bill that didn't correspond to my room... Had to be rectified twice.

Nice place to stay with your family and enjoy a good relaxing time next to the beach. Staff is pleasant, always willing to be of service and in the overall the hotel is quite good. Used the Bar, beach restaurant and the hotel restaurant and I can't say anything but good things about everything!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Very good spot to stay when traveling from France to Italy.
    • Triple Room with Sea View

See above. Wifi is very slow.

Had trouble when we stayed both times getting a booking at their main restaurant for dinner. Enjoyed the sushi menu though.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

The service at the bar and on the beach was really good,...
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

soundproofing was not so good, we could hear everything what was going on near our room, however we did not hear the noise from the street (the room was facing the street) The person who took the order in Japanese restaurant was not professional at all. From his dress code till how he talked to the clients. Young tall man with black hair in jeans, t-shirt and snickers.

The service at the bar and on the beach was really good, especially the blond lady at the bar. If you want to stay in the hotel with private beach by the sea it's a good choice.

Nice beach, Expensive food
    • Single Room with Hill View

Very expensive restaurants in the hotel; very limited choice of Italian cuisine; no alternative option to eat near by the hotel Not allowed to use Sun umbrellas if there is small wind. Ridiculous! The wind is normal near the sea! The neighbor beaches had umbrellas open all the time

Very close to the beach

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Excellent 4 star hotel
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel is not near any entertainments. No decent shops or ice cream parlours and no promenade to go for a walk in the evenings. Savona is 3 or 4 km away and it is not a pleasant walk into town. Evening meals were very expensive in the restaurant.

We had a large room with sea view. Large bathroom. Good breakfast. Right on the beach with free sunbeds and sunshades for guests. Excellent designer hotel.

The best place to stay before and after the ferry to Corsica.

I have no complaints

Open air breakfasts were good and the range and choice of food was more than satisfactory. The beach and pool facilities and service was very good. The rooms are large and comfortable and the balconies are adequate.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Good hotel with balconies and private beach
    • Single Room with Hill View

Breakfast food was with mosquitos included. No key card, only large keychain. Old furniture in the room.

Private beach, free parking, free wifi, balcony. A good place to stay with kids for a week. Also there are one restaurant, such bar and cocktails bar with live music on the beach. There are also own beach guard!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

i would stay there again but i am sure there are better hotels out there
    • Family Room with Hill View

The Family room was very small .There was one rule for some guest and one rule for Others when it came to using the pool.We was not infromed about the facilitis like othere guest was has i viewed during my stay .

The pool was great for the kids and being next to the sea the location was great to.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

back to Mare Hotel which lived up to previous high expectations
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

hotel guests "confined" to back 4 rows of sunbeds, whilst first 4 rows were largely empty screaming kids in pool - wish there were extended pool hours for adults only

fantastic array of breakfast goods including vegan pastries and tarts - although snaffled by large meat-eating guests! cappucinos and cafes made to order from proper espresso machine on request staff really friendly and helpful Wednesday buffet

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Modern beachfront property
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Location isn't that great for amenities but we used it as a stop over driving to Monaco. Odd system of not allocating out all the beach front loungers to hotel guests even after paying a lot of money for rooms.

Big modern rooms with very comfortable beds. Lovely private beach area and fantastic pool. Breakfast is also very nice.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Good choice for Leisure and Lounge lovers
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The location - a little far from town centre. The beach and the hotel was clean, but the seawater was not very clean, with plastic bags etc.

Clean room with a balcony and a sea view. Soft comfortable beds. Ok Gluten free options for breakfast, and the breakfast area outside, on ground floor terrace. The free sun beds and clean beach – although the seawater was not very clean. The hotel restaurant had nice staff and very good, although high-priced food. The lounge and bar area by the pool is very nice, with good ambience.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Great for a bit of R and R
    • Family Room with Hill View

The busy main road outside however once you were in the hotel it was really great.

Beautiful swimming pool. Kids club on the Sunday and oysters on the beach for aperitivo Sunday evening.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

Excellent location
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

The lunch canteen. The food wasn't great and that it wasn't table service.

The location was excellent and that the beach was directly in front of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Good beach hotel

A bit too expensive.

Hotel facilities. Great hotel for experiencing a Mediterranean beach. The staff was very helpful at all time: towels service, parking, restaurants etc.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

We were not informed that on the day of arrival the hotel...
    • Family Room with Hill View

We were not informed that on the day of arrival the hotel would host a beach party of 1800 people. Our room with 2 small children was just next to the party. Impossible to sleep before 1.30 in the night.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

road trip....
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

the drive down from como was amazing... as soon as you get near Genoa its non stop tunnel after tunnel, literally!! amazing if you have roof off and loud engine... like me xx!! lots of fun Hotel was right on the beach, was so hot everyday! Food and drink really good!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Good choice
    • Family Room with Hill View

Great location, right on the beach side. Very easy and comfortable drive to reach fantastic locations in max 1,5 hours like Genova, Cinque Terre, Milan, Sanremo, Nice etc . Hotel staff was really very nice, friendly and offered many programs and places to visit.... And wednesday Hotel beach party was well appreciated. We booked a family room (blue rooms ) which was oriented to the hills, it was good , clean and modernized , equipped with 2 french bads, it was enough space for 4 of us. Car Parking was organised well. All in all Mare Hotel was a very good choice and we would come back there any time !

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

The frontage of the hotel was unassuming, when you went to...

The frontage of the hotel was unassuming, when you went to the back it was a very welcoming and excellent setting, very modern and comfortable, private beach and outdoor pool.

That it was allowed to "reserve" place at the...
    • Superior Double Room with Sea View

That it was allowed to "reserve" place at the beach before opening.

Coffee machine
    • Deluxe Double Room with Hill View

Coffee machine

Would tend to Avoid
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Tacky , poor food , restaurant didn’t open on published hours , unfriendly staff

Not a lot

no restaurants near by

really nice hotel directly located at the beach

Strand, hotel
    • Family Room with Hill View

Room direction street is rather noisy

Strand, hotel

A "hill view" is actually a street view and very...
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

A "hill view" is actually a street view and very unpleasant one

I didn’t visited the beaches because of the bad weather.
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

I didn’t visited the beaches because of the bad weather.

Read, nap and sun
    • Double or Twin Room with Hill View

Stay here often, never disappointed. Staff is helpful and friendly.

Transfer driver was not convenient.
    • Family Room with Hill View

Transfer driver was not convenient.

Browse Mare Hotel traveller photo gallery