Reviews of Palazzo Catalani By Diamond Resorts 3 stars

Via Montecavallo 26, 01038 Soriano nel Cimino, Italy

#4 of 11 hotels in Soriano nel Cimino

4.4

• Studio (2 Adults)

Furniture is new and clean, decor is not outstanding but just a matter of personal taste. Could not find out how to switch led lights off, and the bathroom was lacking a bidet. Details.

Clean and comfy flat into a beautiful historical building. Warm welcome, comfy bed, silent room. Absolutely worth the price. Sorroundings are charming (baths, bomarzo garden, civita etc.). Soriano is a small and quiet village, We enjoyed a last drink at the pub round the corner, which is open till late.

• Studio (1 Adult)

Problem with TV channels which the engineers tried to fix but couldn’t - they were running new cables from satellite dish when I left.

Handled things really well when plumbing sprung a leak in my bathroom which couldn’t be fixed so upgraded my room.

• Superior Studio

The place was above our expectations. the staff was wonderful and kind. great view for our room. and a well equiped room and bath. exellent value of money.

• Studio (1 Adult)

Hotel is set on a VERY steep hill - quite a climb from the (public) car park The jacuzzi & sauna can only be booked in its entirety - not much fun for a solo traveller!

Beautiful hotel and surroundings Fantastic value for money! Friendly helpful staff

• Superior Studio

No breakfast when we stayed but fridge had water and creamer for morning coffee. We bought bread and cheese at a local bakery the evening before and enjooyed a leisurely breakfast in our room.

• Studio (2 Adults)

The shower was a little strangely built: you had to be careful not to bump your head. Breakfast was quite late (not before 8:30 h), but there was a little kitchen in the room.

The view was the best. Right from the bed we could see the fortress und the houses atop the mountain. It was a large room, nicely furnished.

• Studio (1 Adult)

the room was beautiful but was cold and had a strange stale smell- the breakfast was available only at 08:30 and less good than the one at the corner bar -there was construction noise all day and the wifi was unreliable..

the room spacious and well equipped-the staff is very kind and friendly-the bed very comfortable- the view from the room and hotel terrasse beautiful-

• Studio (2 Adults)

There are two parts to the hotel the older palazzo and a separate block. It should be made clear on booking which part of the hotel you are staying in. I wanted to stay in the palazzo part and instead we got the other block. Rooms are still very nice in the newer block but the reason I booked the hotel was for the fresco paintings which are not there is the other block. Also our bathroom tiles where not cleaned properly. The staff at breakfast could also be more friendly.

Very comfortable accommodation. Terrace and buildings were beautiful

It was so remote and hard to find.....but worth it when we did find it.....and we had to hike up the hill and leave our car behind in the town....not for the weary or weak............But so happy for the experience......a treasure to find.... Best kept secret.....Shhhh!!

Imagine stepping into a private palace, with frescoes on the ceiling and walls and a view of a castle out your window. The bath was luxurious and modern and the charm of the Palazzo Catalani was beyond my expectations. It was a dream come true...The little town was charming and quaint. The service was impeccable....The food delicious....

• Studio (2 Adults)

Very steep road to get there and the staff all the time called us 'hi guys', which irritated us a bit. We were not in the US and of very different age (60+).

It was a perfect place, especially for what we paid. Very friendly and helpfull staff, a very nice garden with view of the old town, very central and good food.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Street parking which may be impossible to find, poor included breakfast (plain croissant and coffee)... better to order from the menu when you get there

Beautiful room with a view of the castle

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Superior Studio

None Nothing is perfect, everything has a character to it!

We have been here many times but my wife, Kay, passed away in 2010. This was a pilgramige to remember the happy times we spent there. I had been staying in Rome, caught a main line train to Orte but had forgotten the buses do not run on a Sunday! A kind gentleman and his wife dropped me off on their way to Viterbo. I am a lucky man! I love it here, I love the ambience and the slow pace a chance to rest up. The staff remember me and I love Roberto's TERRIMASU in the Palazzo Catalani restaurant. To make life more challenging I broke my right ankle dancing on St. Patrick's Day party at the Shamrock Irish bar south of the Colloseum so I am now on crutches, thank you St. Patrick'! I am now in Athens staying with friends, onto the island of Paros then Rhodes, Marmaris and to my house near Seydikemer, Fethiye. Thank you Angelo for teaching me how to use the crutches and reduce further damage to my ankle It is a beautiful life! I love travelling!

• Studio (2 Adults)

There are clearly issues with communication. First, just after booking two rooms for myself and my mother with limited mobility - non-reimbursable bookings - I receive several e-mails form the hotel warning of serious accessibility concerns.... It would have been helpful to provide this advice PRIOR to finalizing the booking and directly on the site of Booking.com. On arrival, I followed the hotel's recommendations on directions and parking, just to find out that they are incorrect as far as the possibility of parking on Via Montecavallo is concerned and that no assistance on luggage and finding the public parking was provided. At check-in, no information on the hotel and its services was offered, no welcome was given and no help with luggage suggested. Gratefully, a very nice dinner at the independently managed on-site restaurant concluded the day. The following morning, based on the information sheet in the rooms including meal hours, we were ready at the restaurant for breakfast at 8.00, only to discover that the actual opening time was 8.30 (as prominently stated on a minute footnote of the breakfast voucher). As my mother had already struggled enough with the stairs, she had to sit outside the restaurant until its opening time. To complete the picture, it is stated on Booking.com that Amex is not accepted, while a large Amex sticker adorns the hotel's entrance door and that families with children are welcome, while the hotel's e-mail recommends not to go with children. All in all, a lovely place but very confusingly managed and somewhat lacking in kindness and service culture.

The village of Soriano is very pleasant and the palace is clearly an architectural and cultural gem. The on-site restaurant is very good and managed by a young, professional and committed chef.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Studio

Definitely a problem with management. Room serviced only twice during 8 night stay. Poor supply of hot water through out. Only soap & body lotion supplied - nothing else! No heating in a very cold dining rooom - we were shivering - reason why we did not go back for another meal. Sometimes understaffed at reception - had to wait long whiles for assistance and sometimes nobody available or talking outside on personal mobiles? Spa facilities overpriced!

Beautiful hotel, good location, stylish interior decoration, so much potential

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Studio

The approach to the hotel is too steep for the elderly, infirm or people with small children. There are no lifts inside the building.

The rooms were spacious, beautifully decorated and luxuriously equipped. The views from some rooms and from the garden are spectacular.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Studio

Unfortunately restaurant was not working on my visit day so there was no possibility to order breakfast from there. Moreover it was quite complicated to find hotel as it is located on a very steep hill.

Nice location, very cozy and comfortable room, authentic atmosphere and fascinating view.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• One-Bedroom Apartment

I would have liked to see more photos of the top floor units online (to have a better idea of all accommodation options). The only thing you see are the more traditional and elegant suites on the lower floor, which can make the darker (windows are smaller) and more modern rooms above a bit disappointing at first. You of course aren't in the room much by the end of it anyway, due to the common areas and the village to explore. Rooms are welcoming and have all the necessities and more. The coffee packets and milk provided were a lovely touch as well.

My husband and I cannot say enough about how wonderful this establishment is! The staff truly is the highlight - accommodating, welcoming, attentive, kind - you could not meet better people. It was great to have a full kitchen, though every dinner was eaten in the amazing on-site restaurant. The town is quaint, and residents easy and willing to communicate with (even if just with hand gestures due to language barrier). It is not a "touristy" town, which makes me appreciate the patience and kindness of the locals even more. FYI - a car is a must. Fantastic experience!

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Studio

There's no air conditioning!

This hostel is the perfect combination of old world charm and modern excellence. The town of Soriano Nel Cimino is enchanting and welcoming. The area is a hub to get to anywhere in the region.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Studio

Bathroom of room 6 has a small and unconfortable shower.

The excellent view of Soriano del Cimino and Orsini Castle. Large room, clean, quite with all facilities.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Studio

Don't think that all the rooms look like the rooms in the pictures - the room we got (and I as I've heard most of the rooms) don't look historical. No frescos, no nothing. they look plain "modern" (if modern was 1990-2000 style). We just chose to come to this area because we are lovers of historical hotels and I was deeply dissapointed and felt like being hoodwinked. incredibly horrible service! when we arrived at night (around 11 p.m.) we were taken to a room in which a couple was sleeping. The front desk lady apologized and begged us to wait then we got another room which was smaller than the one I booked. I pointed this out immediately and I also complained the other day but all I got was "the rooms are different from the description on the internet". Unbelieveable. You have to pay for the internet but then it doesn't work well (at least in our room the connection broke off every other minute) - I also told this to the front desk but they said it's the fault of an external provider and that they couldn't do anything about it - unbelievable again for a hotel of this class (they didn't even pay back the money for the wifi) The remote of the TV didn't work which I also told the front desk. It took them about 6 hours and 3 attempts to patch this. The hotel has potential cause the public spaces and the location itself are really nice but the service is horrible and to be honest, to me it seems a bit like a scam as you don't get what you see on booking. I've complained about this at booking and at palazzo resorts (and at the hotel itself) and at least booking has answerd. They said I'm not the only one complaining and that they are working on it. So maybe wait a bit before you book a room there if you really want to go there. I think it could be a nice place if they adjust their prizes according to the service and if they show the truth on the pictures they put on the internet.

The public spaces and the location are cool. Rooms are clean (but only worth the prize if they are having one of their special half-price offer).

Stayed in May 2016

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Poor range of TV channels

Historical setting and decor

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

It is a really pretty historical building that has been renovated to a high standard. We loved it!

• Superior One-Bedroom Apartment

Early checkout (10am)

Overall comfort Large appartment Bed and sofas Staff

Tutto

• Studio

Room lighting not bright enough

great room with lots of character, good views and excellent helpful staff, situated in a lovely location.

• Superior Studio

Parking was not so good, it was far and in the street.

good facility, very clean.

nothing!

The staff was excellent!!

Excellent hotel!

• Superior Studio

Having a separate sitting room. Having a terrace with garden view. Location

• Studio

Lovely hotel in a spectacular location. Soriano is a really special little town

• Studio (2 Adults)

Friendly staff and beautiful location

• Studio (2 Adults)

wster pressure in the shower in the morning

Wonderful staff like Antonella and fun scheduled activities for the guests.

Colazione zero

Location stupenda

Location fantastica

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Studio

The room with a fantastic view Spacious room, a studio actually Excellent rate

• Reviewed: 3 March 2016

Small thing: you have to buy Wifi. Our advice: increase the room price a bit and make it included. We feel sorry for the staff that they have to explain this somehow bit old fashioned way of dealing with internet. By the way: the internet is excellent!

Excellent rooms and beautiful, well taken care of place for a friendly price. Real nice porter who received us in the evening. A place not to forget.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2015

we was booked the hotel specialy for two days because here it was presented like a huge room with stunning view for old city with a castle. and as a result we got oposit what we were expecting- small, dark a no view! it was great dissapointment and in reception they couldn't change nothing. the hotel should be more exact with description of the room.. otherwise you will get a lotery and should be very lucky to win

location. quite central

• Reviewed: 23 July 2015

Poor Diamond resort customers telling us how bad a con the company is but we are not members thankfully

Great hotel in beautiful area with helpful chef

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

Fixed shower head in a makeshift bathroom, not comfortable at all. No air conditioning. It took a while to figure out where the parking was.

The central location. Beautiful property and view over the castle. Eccentric flat with bathtub in the bedroom. Specious and clean.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2015

nothing. Perhaps that wifi is for additional cost in the rooms, free at the lobby.

Beautiful hotel, large rooms, very good price. English breakfast available for 5-7 euros at the restaurant downstairs.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2015

It is hard to get one of the premium rooms at this property... You must read other people's comments and be sure to get a room with a view out over the valley. The others are okay but not as fun

We like staying in Soriano because it is an easy car drive or train ride from many fun places. We adore the people there... Not to mention the wonderful cappocina and pastries at the Centro Cafe! It is not in the city... But very accessible to the cities... A wonderful setting

• Reviewed: 12 May 2015

Car hire is a must have. The area is hilly and half way up a mountain so no surprise there.

Fabulous location if you want the real Italy.Got around to lots of local towns & cities.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2015

We have reserved our room via booking.com. The pictures of the room we reserved were completely different from what we've got (we have got much worse or just not so nice one!). This is very misleading and not fare. We are putting high evaluation scores for hotel itself, but this marketing trick should be eliminated ASAP!!! thank you.

Wonderful place! Compliments for everything, which could be included in the words "perfect hotel"!

• Reviewed: 26 April 2015

The shower in the room was very small. Too small for comfort.. The location was too far out of the way..

I liked the staff very much. The accommodations were clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2015

Certainly a hike (with stairs) up to the hotel lobby. Would not be a good option with heavy luggage or strollers. Also make sure to have 100€ cash deposit on hand or you'll do it twice!

Very nice hotel. Clean, beautiful. I didn't realize there was no dedicated parking, but had no problem finding street parking near the square. Great restaurant in hotel!

• Reviewed: 9 January 2015

Details re location, parking and baggage collection not accurate. As such we drove round & round till we parked & walked. Had to park 500 mtrs away in an area not well lit. Had to hump all way over, meet Stuart, then walk all the way back to reception, then had to carry own bags to room!! Good thing I'm fit!!! Add also it infers accommodation is in palace or castle - not!!! Only o ER looking a castle.

Restaurant downstairs very nice, chef very creative & attentive

• Reviewed: 8 February 2016

Everything done for guests to feel comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

parking Only by driving car

Wonderful unbelievable hotel!!! Excellent view!!

• Reviewed: 14 December 2015

Everything!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

It was perfekt and beautiful! We love it!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

WI di assente

• Reviewed: 10 August 2015

Location and on site restaurant. Quality and price of food very good

• Reviewed: 28 July 2015

I loved that the breeze came through my room and cooled it down. I loved the comfortable bed and the furnishings. Great shower

• Reviewed: 12 July 2015

Lack of air conditioning or pool made it not so pleasant in the hot summer temperatures

Fabulous old building sympathetically renovated

• Reviewed: 7 March 2015

Can't think of anything

Just about everything

• Reviewed: 11 January 2015

Everything is perfect.The view from hotel ia amazing.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2015

Friendly and helpful staff...

There are also 15 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.