Reviews of Hotel Portacavana 1 stars

Via Felice Venezian 14, 34124 Trieste, Italy

#38 of 40 hotels in Trieste

• Single Room with External Bathroom

After reaching the hotel and after making the payments I was told that I should be moving to another building which was quite far from the property shown on the bookings.com. I have a problem walking and requested if I could be accommodated in the same place but this did not happen. Secondly, the internet at the property was not working. When I made a complaint to the reception, they said it will be fixed but it never got fixed. The internet in the main building was fixed but the second property where I stayed, there was no internet for 3 days while I stayed there.

Clean Room.

I didn't like the fact I had to climb 4 floors with my suitcase - it turned out that some of the rooms are on the second floor of the building with the reception but the others were 2 floors upstairs. It's not convenient for people with more luggage than just a rucksack. Another thing that I hadn't anticipated was the problem with the door of the room - first it couldn't open, then it wouldn't lockand finally neither lock nor unlock. If I wanted to get to my bed after a walk in the city, I had to leave it unlocked after all. It's one of those electronic devices that keep breaking and the card for the door then becomes useless but they don't have any keys for such cases. The staff promised to fix it after I leave and I hope they've done it. And one more thing - very, very noisy, especially at weekends!

The location of the property is a plus - easy to reach from the station and in the historical centre of Trieste. The staff was helpful and ready to give any information about the city and the transport.

• Budget Twin Room with External Bathroom

The pillows were ridiculously flat, but our real complaint is that we had to share a bathroom with others, which we did not at all see coming. There really was no word of that when researching/booking the hotel. The room should have been much cheaper, considering.

The location was great and the internet worked well. The girl at reception was very friendly and extremely helpful.

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Quite secure. Clean. Amazing to have a sink with soap in the room, plus provided a couple of towels. A lot of attention to detail in what was provided there, even when delayed flight to arrive so late! So grateful. I'd easily stay again

On my day of arrival, at 15:00 (3pm), I rang the bell but there was nobody at the reception to open me the front door. A sign on the door adviced customers to call a phone number in order for the receptionist to come from the dependence of the hotel and let them in. Unfortunately my phone was not working at the moment, so I had to ask the owner of a shop nearby to make the phone call from his mobile. There is nothing bad with it, but maybe you want to be sure that your device is working and able to make phone calls in Italy.

Very nice basic hotel, with a comfortable bed and a proper bathroom (I picked the ensuite version). Its location is in the city centre, close to the sea with many bars, restaurants and grocery stores around. The closest bus stop is at a walkable distance (approximately 300m), and the train station is 15 mins away on foot.

The website states reception hours are 08.00 - 17.00, but every time i checked there was no one on reception and one morning i called the number provided to request help printing a ticket and no one was able to come until 14.00, which was too late. So just don't expect a good reception service, only a place to sleep.

Cheap basic option right in the centre, very conveniently located

The usual things with this kind of hotel conversion - sound levels, mostly... noisy bathroom fan..

The decor in this hotel has great character. Very hard not to like!

The heater was not working well, only few hourse worked during the day, the room was extramly cold. That was big problem, because we were with a kid.

location is perfect

• Single Room with External Bathroom

I suggest that Booking/com emulate Hotels/com who reward their customers when they write a review about their stay, callling me a genius does not weigh much next to a rebate on the next reservation Booking/com, please do not obliterate this part of the review, I shall be watching

The historical flair of the building Most of all the diligence to help, the kindness, the readiness of the young noble lady at the reception, and her help, a young man who held from Scotland ( I am sorry that, out of shiness, I did not ask for their names); they surely made my stay of a few days more agreeble. I should add that all the amenities were there and working beautifully

• Single Room with External Bathroom

The room is very dark, I would have liked to have a brighter light. Also, it was a bit too small but still fine for a solo traveller. The towels are changed every 3 days, I would have liked them to be changed more often. The Wi-Fi is quite slow.

Very good receptionist, helpful and friendly! The hotel is in a very convenient area, right in the centre of Trieste. The room has a tv, a sink and a fridge which was extremely useful as it saved me a lot of money since I didn't need to eat always out (I didn't go for tourism, in which case I would strongly recommend eating out our amazing Italian food!). The room is very clean and the lady that was cleaning my room was very kind to always also tidy it up a bit. The common bathroom is very big and clean too.

The charging points were weird n would not work with the latest cell chargers

It was close to the happening places in the town though a big far from the city centre

Perfect location/low price tell the story: old building, no lift, no air conditioning but just a fan, window on a busy street full of bars and restaurants, I love to sleep with the sounds of street life but I guess not everyone will appreciate it. Acceptable compromises when you consider the stellar location.

An adventurous stay but the staff was very helpful and in the end they assigned me another room, which was way more comfortable and spacious than the original one. The Hotel is at a 5 minutes walk from the marvelous Piazza Unità d'Italia, 15 minutes from the railway station, you can't ask for a better location.

Shower head needed fixing. Up 4 flights of stairs

Ambience great. very well located. Comfortable bed. Good wifi. Staff very helpful despite limited English.

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Room was not in main hotel. As a solo female traveller this made me v uncomfortable. Also, the bathroom was outside of the room and shared with an undisclosed number of other guests. The walls were so thin. I'm not a light sleeper but I could hear everything in the next room and bathroom. I chose to only stay one of the two prepaid nights. I realise it was cheap and I know you get what you pay for but the minimum I require is that I feel safe.

It was centrally located. The lady on reception was very nice during check in and my premature check out.

The room was smelly, actually it was the bathroom that was very stinky but the smell was everywhere. No air conditioning or fan when it's almost 40°Celsius outside.

The room was tiny and stacked with broken furniture. They should put in a smaller fridge to fit under the window, remove the broken deskcupboard and replace the huge inaccesible cupboard with a smaller one. Also there were not enough wall sockets for chargers. There was only one which was occupied by the lamp. Would not stay there again.

There was a fan and a fridge in the room.

Need morw cleaning around &under furnitures too much dust under cover ..also please must provide A/C.

NEAR BY Resturants and most famous places.

my room was at the corner of the streets - a bit noisy up to the late hour ans since early )there are rooms into the yard - better to ask them)

excellent location from any point of view - easy to find, the very centre, close to the sea front. interesting decoration style, wonderful local house

Absolutely no complaints but be aware that at least some rooms are on the third floor and there is no lift. Reception is on the first floor, up a flight of stairs from the street.

Delightful and quaint hotel in an old building near the centre of the city, a few minutes walk to the main square and with plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. The reasonably sized room was delightfully furnished, nothing like a typical “cookie cutter” hotel room. The room had a fridge but no kettle.

Reception was unmanned when we arrived. Our room was hot, dusty and extremely noisy. We were glad to be only staying one night. There was a sign to say if you were staying more than one night, the towels (they were like tablecloths) would only be changed after three days. Try somewhere else.

The location was good. Close to lots of restaurants and bars.

• Single Room with External Bathroom

The wall is thin, the next door guests quarelled so loud in the middle of the night and no hotel staff in charge

The hotel is stylist, old building with antique furnitures

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Single Room with External Bathroom

** The minibar was empty (may be it is just a refrigerator where you can put what you buy in it !), And the reception's vending machine (snacks and drinks) was inactive at night. ** Upon arrival, the room is very clean and so is the bathroom, but according to hotel regulations, they change the sheets weekly, and towels every three day after you check-in. So, if you are going to stay longer than couple of nights, that may be a problem for hygiene, and I think you will have to pay extra to get them changed more often. So, get your own extra towels and stuff. but Excellent hotel for traveller on budget!

** In the heart of the city centre, close to many attractions, that you can walk to! And access to bus station that you can head anywhere in Trieste. Also, most of the late night life spots are really close, a walking distance! ** Close to the sea (few meters away) that you can enjoy a nice walk and the view. ** The room is VERY clean, and so is the shared bathroom. ** Staff is VERY friendly and understanding that they allowed me to do late check-out as my flight was in the afternoon. Excellent Hotel. Very clean hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Single Room with External Bathroom

I had the roim number 2. I was aware of the room size, so for me it was fine. However, if you wait more than 65 kg, it can be a problem for you because the shower was very narrow. But the main disadvantage was the absence of the central heating during the night when it was the negative temperature outside. Even no electrical heating was offered.

In general, I had the positive experience. The hotel is situated in the center but at the same not far from the station. I arrived at 10pm when the reception was already closed, but I could receive the keys in the bar nearby. The interior of the hotel is old-styled which made a particular atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Room and facilities in need of improvement. Not the cleanest room I've ever stayed in. Ultra thin walls - someones phone was vibrating in the next room and I could hear it from the otherside of the room - thought it was my phone!

Good location, warm enough.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

everything

the room is not at the same place as listed, nor its the same place as you do the check in and out, you have to walk 3 blocks up the hill and there there is no receptionist and you have to struggle with the key to open de door, plus you don't feel safe there.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Staff does not speaks English, not able to give a simple orientation how to find the apartment they sent me to. Difficult to find out how to open the door. The apartment I was accommodated was not clean, non of the appliances in the common kitchen worked, the common bath was dirty and cleanness was an issue.

Hotel is well located, however i was transferred to some other place / apartment some 100 m near on via San Michele due to occupancy of the main building which i found very doubtful. The apartment was on the ground floor consisting of several rooms with a common space - kitchen and bath.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

The windows were open when I arrived (too hot in September, no air conditioning), and the room was filled with hungry mosquitoes. The room was large and old, with wooden beams in the ceiling and full of furniture, providing a great many hiding places for the bloodsuckers. Could not sleep much the first night because of them. (Having the lights on helped in the next nights.) Dust below the bed and on top of the wardrobe, the rest was clean. Parking was not easy.

Location. Room decoration.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Miss-selling the parking. Forget it, you will never get any free parking anywhere nearby. That should be removed from the listing. Bathroom shower cubicle was extremely mouldy. Door wouldn't stay shut, let alone lock. No air-conditioning, and a single fan provided for a quadruple room.

Location is perfect. Decor is silly but fun.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Took us more than a (sweltering) half hour to check in & the internet didn't work the first day.

Close in location. Near lots of cafés & the big plaza

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

The receptionist was awful and very unhelpful. She never greeted us during our entire stay- in any language and was incredibly sour. They also tried to split our two room booking between 2 seperate buildings. Eventhough this was not communicated anyhere when I was booking on Booking.com. There was no elevator or air conditioning and the rooms were very hot. And the Free parking advertised was non existent. And the Wifi didn't work.

The location was great. And the decor was very unique. Perfect for Instagram shots

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

welcome policy

Arrived just after 7 and was hosted by the receptionist saying to do everything quick because she was going home in 20 min. When asked about the car parking available she said there was none, the one advertised was actually a public space available for free after 8 pm until early morning only. When it was very clear in the website they saying that they had free parking available nearby -but actually it has a double meaning.. as my boyfriend had stayed in the car walking around while me and my friend would check in, she said to us she would need everyone's passport at that moment and only I was with it. Tried to explain the situation but as she barely could speak English it was a challenge. After she starts saying that she had to go home (yes it was almost 8 after all discussion) we decided just to leave and didn't return. Despite of the price I don't think it's worth to stay as the add is deceptive and the welcome is even worse! Many places around with reasonable price if you book in advance. Luckily we managed to book else where else with great hosts and amazing house! Would never return!

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Difficult to find parking place nearby. Wifi most of the time didn't work.

Good for the price. Peculiar decorations everywhere. Very centrally located.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Noisy. Very thin walls u can hear the people on the streets. Difficult to find. Not really a hotel its like a resident area. No lifts. No lights when u enter the gate. I booked it to catch the early train and in the description its just 5 mins walk from train station but the truth is its 19 mins walk. Not worth for 87 euros per night!!! No aircondition in hot temperature of italy. No hair blower. Uncomfortable beds. I mean its acceptable if its less than 87 euros. I expect more for the price

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

The room was really hot and no air conditioner. Breakfast was worse than industrial. Do get some food at the supermarket, you'll pay less!

Small room but charming. Great location. Good for the price

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Budget Twin Room with External Bathroom

They have offered free parking but at the end we needed to pay for the parking space. The staff do not speak English at all or any languages. :( 70 euros for one night with shared bathroom is way too overpriced.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

They should get air conditioning and they have to be better to clean the room.

The room was extremely warm and since the window was towards the traffic street it was hard to sleep with the window open. Had a fan, but it didn't work properly.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Single Room with External Bathroom

My 11 days spent in this hotel, were perfect. I warmly recommend it, both of the quality of the service and the position in the centre of Trieste. Prices worth the stay, both of small and large budget.

Nice and quite hotel in the center of Trieste. Plenty of shops, restaurant bars and coffee shops. Althought the bathroom in common, I didn't face any issue. The staff is profi and very helpful. The room were cleaned carefully every day.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

Worst hotel experience. No parking! Even if they write it is free of charge. No aircon in the room! Also advertised. Very small dark room with window to very loud traffic juntion. Weird interior design. Do not recommend.

Location was very close to city centre

Great place to stay and enjoy yourself.

location is sooo good! you can walk from station to there for20mins

beautiful old stlye pensione - reminded me of the 1970s

no hot water in shower

great location staff

Heater was not working

Close to downtown and very chip

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Better lighting in the corridors.

An excellent central location,; the hotel has a certain character to it.The staff are reasonably friendly.

• Single Room with External Bathroom

The single room was tiny and not that comfortable.

In the very centre of Trieste, a few minutes walking from all the relevant spots.

Room was very small and cluttered with large furniture that was unnecessary.

Very clean. Perfect location.

• Budget Twin Room with External Bathroom

I would have liked a reading lamp

The old worldly feel about the decor and the furniture.

check in is from 14:00

Location of the hotel is perfect! Rooms are great, everything you need is nearby

its hostel, not a hotel. bus still its ok but very expencive for a hostel. had a huge spider in my room.

Good location Good bed and fast wifi

The bathroom was a bit cramped but overall ok

Great location and old-world style hotel.

It rained in the room during the night!!! No refund for this, even tough I have booked a third night.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Good situated in the center

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Extract fan in bathroom noisy. Some noise from nearby rooms.

Atmosphere of building, large room.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

• Single Room with External Bathroom

Location is very near the city center.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Not easy to find the entrance. Clearer instructions for checking in would have been useful.

Central location, firm bed, distinct decor. Great value.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

The Vaspa's on the street can be a bit noisy in the morning.

Large bed, good location, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

A little bit noisy, but okay with windows closed

Excellent location, very good value

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

hotel in city center

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

impaired lock and electrical contacts

nice shower

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Single Room with External Bathroom

The room is so small, and can not be locked.

The position is ok

Very warm in the room , no AC , bad smell in the bathroom and unwanted ants crawling over the floor

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Tempi di check-in e check-out

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Quadruple Room

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

No towels, only one roll of toilet paper in Toilet

Location was perfect

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

The location is very good. Staff is very kind.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

To far away

The room was 100 meters up the hill form the hotel

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

The decor is a bit crazy but it's fine - you get used to it. Clean and basic accommodation of the private room hostel variety.

Excellent location with many bars and restaurants within a stones throw. Very nice wine bar next door with friendly owner and great wines. A couple of real beer pubs very close also - both great.

• Reviewed: 17 April 2016

Who doesn't like street noise at night should not stay in this hotel :)

I really liked that hotel location is in city center and it is cozy and nice decorated.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2015

It has not elevator. A three floors staircase waits for the guest and the luggage. It is not good at all.

The location at the historic center of the city

• Reviewed: 6 November 2015

Wireless connectivity wasn't stable. There was no options to get hot water or tea, other than to go to a cafe nearby. While the place might be beautifully and curiously decorated, sometimes it feels too much, the ancient furniture tend to feel, well, ancient, and the window frame felt as if it's about to broke. The toilet there was that weird airplane-style one and the water pressure in faucets and shower was quite low.

My friends, this might be the most unusually decorated hotel i ever had a chance to stay in, and i stayed in places like an ex-prison and a restored poet's mansion. This place has the most eclectic decorations, the weirdest colours and the strangest furniture i have ever seen in a hotel. In the room there was even a sky painted on a ceiling, and there was a painted picture of sleeping horse (!) behind a bed. It honestly felt as Castelvania-esque castle. The location is good, it's afar from the train station, but it's still in a walking distance, and the central part of the city is basically around. Overall, i'd recommend the place for short stays. You'd definitely have something to tell your friends afterwards.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

I saw a lot of comments in the comment book that there are rats etc but I didn't see any. I was there only for 8 hours. There is nothing much to say staff except for the receptionist and going from my experience of Italy,I have become too nice and polite (which I don generally have to in many other parts of the world,we can have a normal behavior and expect good hospitality)with all staff in Italy because or else they will just be rude. So I can't say if the staff was great.

The gothic style?

• Reviewed: 2 October 2015

The place is not really hotel. Its a several room on the 1st floor of the old building. You have to ring the bell to get into property. Reception is open only short time day time. Not suitable for solo, maybe good for a couple or more people as an alternative to hostel. Very tiny shower. Complicated key - locking room. Also I have ask if I could check out a little bit later than 10 30 am and the answer was no.

Very near main square. Room got bathroom within the room. Room was fairy spacious

• Reviewed: 2 September 2015

Sadly there was no air-conditioner and only one bedside fan. It was a particularly hot weekend and made being in the room and sleeping difficult. The receptionist was nice enough to give us her fan as well.

Great location. Very clean and spacious rooms. The Hotel and rooms are made up with colourful paintings, gaudy but fun.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2015

Fan in Non Aircon room not big enough/ powerful enough. Needed proper seat for desk. Wifi did not work for 2 days, but this is not hotels fault.. Telecoms fault

Fantastic Location.. delightful decor and furniture.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2015

Room was weird, really big furniture in a really small space. No curtains. Guite loud as you can here to the other rooms and the bar downstrairs. The receptionist didnt speak any english.

Location is very good, bit difficult to find the front door first. Bathrooms very clean. If you want to have an amazing experience in Trieste, I suggest to spend a little bit more money and go somewhere else but if you just go and sleep then the place is ok.

There are also 34 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Portacavana traveller photo gallery