Reviews of San Lio Tourist House

Salizada S. Lio 5607 (chek-in at Castello 6041, Campo S. Marina), Castello, 30122 Venice, Italy

#248 of 316 B&Bs and Inns in Venice

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Perfect location but very tiny rooms
    • Economy Double Room

The room was way much smaller than expected. Also the bed was not confortable.

The location is perfect, near the Rialto Bridge and 5 min walk to pretty much everything you have to see. Staff is very nice and here to help you as much as they can.

The location is very good.

We stayed in room 105. The shower cubicle was terribly small, we are very slim built, yet hardly turn around in it when having shower. Even worse, the hot water came out of shower head was so weak that you would never have a proper shower. The water kept leaking through the shower door and the flooded the floor.

The location is very good.

Very good location!
    • Standard Triple Room

With great location comes with a downside, it was a bit noisy in that area, even at night time due to the tourists passing by or in that area.

Very good location! It seems to be in a good proximity to the areas we wanted to go to. The bed(s) where comfortable as well. Very great air-conditioning, very timely and great with the summer heat. The room was clean as well. Great staff! They offered us that they can keep and hide our things after check-in while we explored the city more.

The location was great.

The bed

The location was great. The room was basic but big. No staff on the premises but there was a phone to ring a reception. The bed was hard and uncomfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

We would definitely stay here again
    • Economy Double Room

We didn’t actually have a great view from our room,/and the pillows were very uncomfortable.

Staff was great and super patient with us, the two receptionists were super eager to make us feel welcome.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

no show
    • Economy Double Room

I tried to cancel with plenty of notice. They could have made an exception and give at least some of the money back as a token gesture. I m sure that in Venice in August reselling the room wouldn't have been a problem... or they could have asked if I wanted to move the booking however nada pure greed and I m not even sure they didn't give my room to somebody else and made double money. I used to work in hotels in Italy. not impressed by the total lack flexibility

l could not go due to work committments

Cheap and OK for short stay
    • Standard Triple Room

Receptionist was arrogant. Check-in is at different location - a little hard to find even though there are maps left for you to follow. Very noisy until late night.

Very good location. Clean.

Awesome location!

Awesome location! Very close to the Rialto bridge and water bus stop. Once your inside the building all the noise is cancelled out. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Standard Triple Room

Clean, quiet and in great location. Bakery downstairs and many eating options within a short walk. Make sure you print the map the hotel emails you or you may have trouble finding the hotel (i printed the map and had no issues)

Worst experience ever
    • Standard Triple Room

We requested 3 beds. On our reservation, this was written and printed. When we approached the frontdesk, Mr. Humberto, he mentioned that we would get sofa bed (very uncorfortable, small and old). He mentioned that on Booking.com he didnt have the option to indicate about the sofa bed, so this is why he had bed on the website. Then he logged in on his manager profile at booking.com and he found the option to change it. Then, on my reservation, It was showed the sofa bed, and he mentioned that he always had the sofa bed not the bed. I had my printed page and he said he didnt know where was this coming from. Meanwhile, I communicated this to Booking.com through my phone, and he was saying something completely different to them, mentioning that he would offer me a better room, change my sofa to a bed and things like this, while to me, he was saying something completely different. Very dishonest person, horrible place to stay. Be aware!!!

Nothing to like about this property. Please be advise about the dishonest actitude of their staff, specially their manager MR. Humberto. He is such a disrespectful person, to say the least...

Location (once checked-in) is amazing!

Address for check-in did not match what was on Bookings.com and was rather difficult to find, however staff guided us once we called them. Photos didn’t match the room, seemed slightly rundown with scuff marks all over the lower half of the walls.

Location (once checked-in) is amazing! Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was a good size. Very good value. Although we didn’t get a canal view, the view over the square was still very pretty.

Location was fantastic with small, very tasty bakery at the...

Extremly small economy room . Standard room was great.

Location was fantastic with small, very tasty bakery at the corner of the buiding. Ideal for quick breakfast.

Excellent location, clean and affordable
    • Economy Double Room

Stayed in room 103 and I wouldn't recommend it to bigger people as the bathroom and the shower were quite small.

The location was perfect, the room was clean. I was very satisfied with the stay

Amazing Location with Great Price for the Area.

Check in is off site at a different hotel that your actual hotel rooms. So this was a little bit of a rat race at first. But we did figure it out.

GREAT LOCATION! ALL 6 OF US ENJOYED OUR ROOMS. WIFI WAS VERY GOOD, CONSIDERING ITALY HAS HORRIBLE WIFI CONNECTIONS. VERY YUMMY BREAKFAST COFFEE PASTRY CAFE RIGHT BELOW HOTEL.

Great stay

One may hear some noises coming up from the street, but this is for sure not a big deal (100% recommendable).

Excellent location: 3 min walking distance from Rialto. Plenty of restaurants and shops around. There’s a pharmacy and a bakery (very good breakfast) right next to it. Very nice room in such centric location. Just perfect for Venice.

Quaint hotel, perfect location l, excellent staff

Only thing I never liked about the hotel was the beds wasn’t comfortable and needed more pillows.

Very friendly staff, ideal location and close to anything, rooms are very clean and basic with all that you need, tough to find but that’s what made it more fun!

Would definitely stay here again !

it would have been nice to have an iron and an ironing board in the room; a hot-water kettle would have been nice too.

Great location, a 2-minute walk to Rialto Bridge; the bed was very big and comfortable; big windows with a great view; nice modern bathroom; mini bar; good wi-fi

Very nice rooms with perfect location

It was quite hot in April, but they only turn on the Air Conditioning in May. We ended up opening the window and listening to everyone that goes in or out of the building

Room was very nice and with perfect location. There are a lot of shops nearby but it is still very quiet.

Great location and not too difficult to find in amongst the maize of streets in Venice.

We couldn't get the air con to work, but in fairness we didn't inform the hotel as didn't want to wait in the room for someone to come and show us.

Excellent cafe a couple of doors away. Opens at 7 am so you can make the most of your day in Venice.

Overall , ok hotel wouldn’t stay again as too noisy , but I guess I did pick the location . Venice ❤️
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

Very very noisy in room 106, as street directly below window . Busy all through the night , not a good sleep . Could do with a redecorating. Air con too warm at lowest level .

Great location , comfy bed , great shower

The hotel is in the heart of Venice and very close to all of...
    • Economy Double Room

I am not usually fussy about the rooms I stay in as long as they are clean but this room was exceptionally small... it is probably only suitable as a single room - having two people in it is very difficult. The bed is also small which made it difficult to get comfortable at night. As it stands, the building is undergoing ?building works - there is scaffolding all over the inner corridor which makes it look a little derelict when you arrive. You have to check in at another hotel which is not that big of a deal but does add a little extra hassle at check out when returning the keys.

The hotel is in the heart of Venice and very close to all of the major sites - no need to use the vaporetto. It has lots of restaurants and cafes nearby. There was a reasonably priced mini bar in our room which was handy and the shower was very powerful. The heating, once we worked out how to use it was also very good. The room we stayed in had a little terrace outside but unfortunately we did not get to use this due to building works and weather. It was reasonably priced considering it’s excellent location.

Lovely room.
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

We had to check in at another hotel, this wasn't the easiest to find. This was the one and only time we felt with staff. The room has a window that is above a street. You can hear everything and everyone that walks by. Could do with a bit of sound proofing. As it was hard to get to sleep at times and I was woken by large groups and intoxicated people yelling.

Lovely room.

Great location, although in the website there is no...
    • Economy Double Room

Great location, although in the website there is no information how to reach it. Turned out that they sent us an email with a map. We had to check in in one place and after that to go to the hotel, which really didn’t make any sense. On booking there’s pictures of the rooms ,but no picture of the economy room- it was really basic!

Domino masquerade

Overpriced..but it was Carnival in Venice.A little bit noise from the window over the street

Position (near the S.Marco square and Carnival events). Space in the room. Venetian like furnitures as showed in pictures

Awsome

Amazing for price. Staff were lovely and the location was excellent. Had no issues with the room had everything we needed even an old fashioned hair dryer just a little small but to be expected.

Location is fantastic!

The TV didn’t work and was not repaired during our stay although reported. I know you don’t go to Venice to watch tv but what is the point of having a broken one.

Location is fantastic!

Good location for its price.
    • Economy Double Room

We got a very small room with a tiny toilet. There is no space for a big luggage. Fortunately, we had deposited our luggage near the train station and just brought a small bag.

Very good location for its price. We were in Venice for the New Year countdown and did not have to walk so far back after the 20min fireworks (as compared to the horde who continued past our main door). In fact, we walked to and fro the square twice. We visited Doge Palace and the Campanile in the afternoon, rested in the evening and headed back at night for the countdown.

The property is a 4 minute walk from the Ravello water bus...
    • Standard Triple Room

The rooms were a little chilling, would have expected a tad warmer as it was winter.

The property is a 4 minute walk from the Ravello water bus stop. Accessible to major parts of the city on foot. The host is very generous and helpful. Highly recommended if planning for a 1-2 night stay in venice!!

Never go to this hotel. Very bad.
    • Economy Double Room

Firstly, I wanna say that receptionist can talk to you like everything is good. He is really good professional at it. Secondly, they gave me not the room that I've booked before. Receptionist said like it's new one, but size of our room was 10 square metres (bathroom included). Despite of small size, room was very very cold, and when I called receptionist he said me like everything is fine, like he was in our room and I'm not right. OK, I've checked the heating system, and there is no warm air. Reception is located in other place, and its really uncomfortable. Also Wi-Fi was not stable and connection was poor. Somebody would say price is low, so that's fine. That's not fine, believe me. It was my worst days in Italy, because of hotel problems. I've paid the same price for hotel in Milan and Rome, and it was really nice.

Location is pretty good. But that's all. Venezia is the small city, where you can easily walk around all over the city. Cleaning stuff very good.

• Economy Double Room

Excellent location, very close to St. Marc's square from where you can connect to other attractions in Venice; the video provided after booking helped in finding the hotel.

Central, comfortable stay
    • Economy Double Room

Great location, just 1 minute walk to the water taxi station (very useful for departure day). Room was small, but very well organised for it's size and was comfortable. The courtyard balcony was cute (for room named Bruna).

• Economy Double Room

He had to do the check-in in another hotel, not very far but a bit tricky to find. No breakfast as it was not a real hotel. The room was small, but the worst was the bathroom. The shower box was soooo small I couldn't turn (and I'm not fat at all) - if I did I would turn the shower off. It was the smallest I have ever seen. First day it was very hot and the air conditioning wouldn't work - just the heater.

I loved the location, as I could go anywhere in Venice on a walking distance. And when we talk about San Marco Square which is the main attraction, it was only 5 minutes away - with supermarkets, restaurants, ice cream shops along the way. You could also take to boats to go to other places of the islands very close to this "tourist house". The room was clean, as the rest of the property.

Comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable!

Excellent location, close to Rialto bridge and a lot of amenities and beautiful shops in the vicinity. The room was very comfortable, it had a good sized shower and was always very clean. We suggest that you stop at the Rialto Bridge when travelling with water transport with your luggage! There's a very short walk and only 2 bridges to cross and to reach the hotel. Check in is done in a different building which is very close.

Great place in the middle of Venice
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

The check-in has to be done at a nearby property (ideally just go there first). It would be nice to have a water heater in the room, for a tea/coffee. Airco didn't seem to work.

My girlfriend and I stayed in this property for three nights and paid EUR 353.60 + 12 EUR tourist tax on arrival. Our spacious not economy (several comments here refer to economy rooms, be aware of the difference!) double okroom was very clean and had all amenities, even a mini-fridge. Access to clean bathroom with plenty of warm water. Late (around 22h) check-in without extra cost (rare for Venice!). We had our own house/door key. At our (early) check-out we left our key in our room. Central location in the middle between Realto bridge and San Marco square. Easy to get there by vaporetto to Rialto and 5m walk, or 30m walk from Santa Lucia bus station (not recommended with suitcases).

Excellent location and affordable price among Venice.
    • Economy Double Room

The room is rather small. Very poor reception of mobile network, including internet. And no wifi access in room so I got no internet connection during the entire stay at the hotel.

Excellent location and affordable price among Venice. Strong air conditioning which is necessary in the hot summer!

Great 2 days in an amazing city!!
    • Economy Double Room

Great location. The room was compact but very well organised so that everything we needed was there. We were very lucky to have a small terrace from our room.

Location was central, room was quite.
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

Check in wasn't good, as we had to go to another location to get the keys and do the check in. Toilet had a pungent smell all time.

Location was central, room was quite. It fits the need it had.

Shower pressure was good considering the size of the shower...

Pillows; need either two each per person or one but larger and soft. Was relatively noisy in one of the booked rooms, as was in the same room very bright so no sleep ins.

Shower pressure was good considering the size of the shower head. Location whilst not in the heart of San Marco (7-10 min walk), was great. Loads of cool little shops and food joints.

won't forget it.
    • Economy Double Room

Bed was very hard, room was very small, couldn't open suitcases except when on bed, just fit in shower and I am not a large person, steps in bathroom, scared I was going to slip on them or trip on them through the night, air conditioning just worked.

Not what was expected

If you want an easy place to stay with no hassles don't go here

Very hard to find!! Video with directions supplied by concierge vi Email impossible to follow. Speak into video camera upon arrival, leave bags go somewhere else to pick up your key, get lost...go back and get your bags.

It is totally waste of this amount of money.
    • Economy Double Room

The behavior of the personal was awful. The way between the reception and main place of stay is 3 street away and it is exhausting with the luggage all the way going to there and check in. There is not any help for luggage carrying. The price doesn't match type of service.

A really nice place for a couple.
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

Constant humming noise. The air conditioner was a bit harsh. It blew cold air to the direction of the bed. The maid always turned it down to the coldest setting when she left the room.

Quiet. Not far from San Marco. Farini (very good pizza) is almost at the doorstep.

Great location, very attentive staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Very tiny room, but it was okay for our 1 night staying wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer.

Great location, very attentive staff. Room recently renovated

Absolutely horrible
    • Economy Double Room

The service was absolutely horrendous. We stayed in nine hotels on our European vacation and this was hands down the absolute worst. The service is extremely creepy, someone watches you on a video screen at all times. The staff was horribly rude. Made fun of us for being American. The room was was smaller than it looks. Everything about this place was terrible. This is the first bad review I have ever written, but wanted to let people know I would not choose this location ever again. If you're on a budget and looking in Venice, hotel Canada is a decent option. Not a nice room.. but staff there is so much friendlier and breakfast is included. Any other option is better than the one we stayed at!

Fair stay

The check in was at another place (abt 3 min walk) but since venice is easy to get lost so it will be kinda difficult to check in.

The bigger room was very beautiful and comfy. Check out was easy as in the just told to leave the keys in the room and leave.

Lost but satisfied
    • Standard Triple Room

The directions were very confusing. Maybe directions with points of references. For example " across from pharmacy before square"

Staff was helpful

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Not worth the money spent
    • Economy Double Room

Small room - we had to take turns to move around because it wouldn't fit both of us walking, very old building, the bed was not a double bed (the two pillows had to be placed on top of each other to fit), the shower was very very small, so was the bathroom which did not allow us to change inside. The highlight was the check-in. We arrived around midnight and after finding the hotel we were told by the front desk - thorough Skype in a tv placed in the entrance - that we had to walk for five minutes to another hotel where the actual frontdesk was placed, to be able to perform the check-in.

Walking distance to many tourist attractions, near to a lot of good restaurants, has a locker and has refrigerator.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

I stayed with my wife for 2 days in San Lio Tourist House.
    • Economy Double Room

We reached hotel late in the night, struggled to find out the hotel, it's because we were new to Venice & the streets are smaller, couple of streets and hotels don't even have sign boards including San Lio, if you come closer to the door only you will be able to identify. Bad smell from bathroom, by mistake, if you forgot to close bathroom's door, you might feel that you are in hell.

I stayed with my wife for 2 days in San Lio Tourist House. Staff responded friendly, they also suggested route to reach the few places. Bed, chairs & sofa were in good condition. Towels, bed covers got replaced on daily basis. The hotel is located in city center & closer to a popular tourist spot in Venice (Rialto bridge). We got what we paid for, recommending this place for others.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Being a larger family they needed to split us across two...

There are two parts to the hotel with the check in at a different location from the actual location of where the rooms are situated. It wasn't a big issue.

Being a larger family they needed to split us across two rooms, but they ensured the rooms were adjacent and the bed configuration was perfect. The communication with us before our visit was very good, keeping us fully informed about the accommodation and check in procedures.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Very small room but near to attractions.
    • Economy Double Room

The rooms were too small with small bed. Not suitable for family wuth children. And tge reception was in another building around 10min walk

The location near to the boat station if you would like travel to murano and burano. 10minutes walk to nearby tourist attractions but farfrom main train station

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Central location, great budget room
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

There was quite a bit of noise from the square. The air conditioning was a bit temperamental.

The location was excellent, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean and was a lovely base from which to explore Venice.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Just in the heart of Venice
    • Economy Double Room

Two matresses instead of a big one. Wifi didn't work. Was difficult to find the address of check in place, I suggest to specify that is in Sottoportego.

Central location but cheap price.Nice room and bathroom.Clean. Check in and luggage deposit no limit. Got a discount in case of cash payment.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Great location and good price for what you are getting
    • Economy Double Room

The double bed was two single mattresses that continuously separated down the middle. The windows did not block out any of the noise from the streets, so very hard to sleep with the loud noises. We could not figure out the heating so the room was a bit chilly.

Great location and ease of access. It's right by the Rialto Bridge so easy to find.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Beware of "Economy Double Room" which is little more than a cupboard with 3/4 bed against the wall.
    • Economy Double Room

The "economy double room" was little more than a cupboard. One person had to stand outside whilst the other was getting dressed- it was so cramped. Hardly worth being called a single room! Fortunately, after two days and complaining we were given a larger room. Reception is in another building and very difficult to find. No staff here except chambermaids.

Location was good - most tourist attractions accessible on foot.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Value for money and good location
    • Special Offer - Double or Twin Room

They have a coffe machine,but it's only available between 07.30-10.00 I think that is quite cheap, plus it was broken when I was there, so you only could get chocolate. The room isn't sound proof, so you hear people from the street. It didn't bother me, but if you sensitive of sound bring earplugs.

I read that the room would be small and not so comfortable, so I didn't have high expectations. I got positive surprised when I got there.The room is quite big, clean and comfortable. Nothing to complain about. The double bed is two beds put together, but it wasn't really any problem.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Location ++, however... Tiny/loud room, photos not representative of economy double room
    • Economy Double Room

Check in is at a seperate hotel which isn't clear enough The economy double room (Bruna) was a +++ huge let down, annoyingly they have no proper photos to actually show just how small it is. Falsely representing it. The bed is not really big enough for 2 normal sized people. It can't even fit 2 pillows on. Alongside that no space for luggage. I would want more photos on the site to show this, they only show photos of the bigger rooms (see my attached pics for actual room economy room size) The economy room also has some weird electricity/heater metre which hums continuously all night and early AM (see pic) which majorly sucked. Wifi not good Somewhere nearby plays loud music late night/early AM which was annoying. Complimentary coffee machine didn't work the whole time we were there.

Location very good, close to main areas Cleaners friendly Economy room cheapish for Venice but there are downsides to this...

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Location good.
    • Economy Double Room

The room and the facilities should be more proper. I booked double room but what I got seemed just for a single traveller.the room quite small and no coffee served in the room even there are a coffee machine downstairs at the pantry but there are not coffee powder inside.

Location wise still OK.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Great localisation and staff.

Inefficient bathroom ventilation, safe box out of order.

Location, location, location! Two turns to St.Marc Sqr.! Frendly and helpfull staff! Nice breakfasts. Hard to find but you get full localisation info - even photo of the doors!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

The worst place I have ever been to
    • Economy Double Room

The worst place I have ever stayed in my entire life, in any country I have ever been to. I was given a one person room although I paid one month in advance for a two persons room. The room had only one chair, one night light, one wardrobe, a very very small shower. You can also see in the photos. After I argued for 2 hours and called the police for fraud, they changed my room for a two persons room.

I liked only the location coz is close to Rialto Bridge.

• Standard Triple Room

A fabulous place to stay, great staff and great facilities.
    • Economy Double Room

A cute place to stay and fabulous location.

Beautiful hotel room, nicely decorated & well maintained.

Beautiful hotel room, nicely decorated & well maintained. Central to everything.

A cozy room in central Venise, 2min from Rialto
    • Economy Double Room

Super centrale, super clean.

Very close to the canals and shops.
    • Standard Triple Room

you have to carry all your luggages on a flight of stairs.

Very close to the canals and shops.

Only the stairs into the property it wasn't easy to get our bags in and out.

Its was in a very good location.

Basic but clean and great location!
    • Standard Triple Room

Basic but clean and great location!

Location was good near the Rialto bridge once we found our...

The two locations for checking in.

Location was good near the Rialto bridge once we found our way there!

Nice room, clean and comfortable, great location, However stuff wasn't very helpful.

Nice comfortable room, great location, close to the Rialto bridge.

Room was clean and comfortable, great value for money.

Excellent location: 5 min walk from Rialto bridge.
    • Standard Triple Room

The reception is in another building, in a different hotel. The bed was not very confortable.

Excellent location: 5 min walk from Rialto bridge.

location is perfect, all the most important objects was very...
    • Economy Double Room

location is perfect, all the most important objects was very close. the bedroom and bathroom are small, but bed was very comfortable.

Very expensive for such a small and smelly room
    • Economy Double Room

Bad smell from the bathroom and smell of paint in the room

Everything good but the bed is just a small double bed or a...
    • Economy Double Room

Difficult to find need walk a lot

Everything good but the bed is just a small double bed or a single queen.

I would say everything was good.
    • Economy Double Room

It was a bit hard to find the main building. without a sign.

I would say everything was good. The place, the room and its people were all good.

Location close to public transport and attractions
    • Economy Double Room

Room was small, not enough space to move luggage

Location close to public transport and attractions

Bad smell, and not clean
    • Economy Double Room

Very bad smell coming out of the bathroom. Sheets not clean, causing rash

Nice location