Reviews of Hotel San Lorenzo 2 stars

Via Rosina 4, San Lorenzo, 50123 Florence, Italy

#295 of 384 hotels in Florence

Superb location, shàbby, poor value for money
    • Quintuple Room

There are 50 stairs to climb to get to get to this hotel, and no assistance offered. 5 beds packed into one room. Parking exorbitant at 25 euro per day. Generally a rather shabby, poorly kept hotel

Hotel has a superb location, walking distance from from the major museums, squares, etc

Good experience
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

the bathroom was on the upper floor

located exactly between the train station and the city center, the staff was very friendly and helpful, they let us keep our luggages even after check out for a couple of hours.

Tipical dormitory which get enough score to be called 2 star hotel but I felt like a dump hostel
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The price we paid for a bedroom which was a wardrobe with small window, cables and flying power boards to attach devices and old carpet was a total rob . Shared bathroom one floor above which was 1.5 square meter toilet with shower hose and not even a hook where to hang a towel or a little soap dispenser for wash hands.

Location, location, location. Basic hotel but fine to put your head down!

Was definitely very basic, the worst part was how noisy the hotel is. My room was next to reception so literally heard everyone coming in, chatting away and then the noise in the morning, crockery clinking etc was a nightmare :(

Location is the main draw to this place, 5 mins to the Duomo, 3 mins to Mercato Centrale, 10 mins to Ponti Vecchio! Staff very pleasant as well.

Good value for money, close to the downtown, parking.

The hotel is not the newest, you should have high expectations.

Very close to Firenze downtown, one minute to Medicci Chappel, just opposite Central Market. They offer paid parking in a garage about 100m from the hotel. Good value for money. Clean and safe.

Good location, affordable price at minimum (but acceptable) room service.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

hotel in 3rd floor but no elevator so it's not convenient with big luggage. room very small (around 6qm) and simple (a bed, a chair, a table, a fan, a small fridge and an air-con)

Located in city center, near a local market. Hotel is clean in general Receptionist is very friendly and smiling.

The room was very dark and the ceiling were too high and we...

They could have iron box as people who come to stay carry lot of luggage and the clothes do get crumpled. It’s helpful for the long run. Kettle for tea and coffee. Safe for valuables.

The room was very dark and the ceiling were too high and we could see the dust as it was not cleaned properly. There was no safe locker like all the other hotels we stayed and we had to give our keys everytime we went out. We were carrying all our valuables (laptop, passport n ornaments) with us due to this reason. We were so disappointed when we asked for an iron box and they did not have it which we expected all the hotels to have. No kettle for hot water. The most frustrating bit was, when I booked the hotel I selected book now and pay later, they blocked my money from my bank account even before we arrived. When we arrived I paid from a different card and the money they blocked was released after 4 days. As a result I was not able to use that money as their bank did not release it.. it was frustrating as I kept that money for my expenses n I had to use my credit card which was inconvenient for me. The only good thing was the location, rest everything is a big NO and we will never come back.

Great location- right outside central market walking...
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The reservation said wifi was included. You did not have WiFi unless you were in a particular spot in the lobby, and that’s actually something I needed and what I based my reservation on

Great location- right outside central market walking distance from trains

You get what you pay for, good location.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Tiny room, the carpet, the ventilation in that tiny room wasn’t that great. bathroom could use a bigger shower curtain but you get what you pay for.

Excellent location, but noisy street and thin windows

The stairs to reach the reception are a bit steep. It is not possible to control the heating in the room, so we had to use the air conditioning to balance the excessive heating, which is a waste of power. The windows are quite thin and do not block noises at all, such as night activities and garbage disposal from the street. The blinds are also fixed and do not provide full darkness at night.

Excellent location.

The place is value for money.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There is what appears to be one toilet that is shared by a lot of people. Furthermore, the shower facilities could be upgraded so as that you do not need to wipe the whole bathroom when you are done showering.

The property is located in the center of the city close to the main attraction sites. Furthermore, there are convenience shops and the main train station within a walking distance.

The worst hotel in my whole life
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

The Worst hotel i ve Never been visited.the rooms were dark without any window and dirty.the personal of the hotel was bad and not friendly. I was sick because of this hotel

Great location!
    • Quintuple Room

The hotel is on the second floor with no lift access. Our room was adequate, rather dark but the bathroom was great.

Excellent central location. Close to restaurants, markets and the railway station.

EMMMMMM.... will not recommend to friends.
    • Quadruple Room

1. No Lifts! Unhelpful staff manning recep upon our arrival "said sorry you paid 70 Euros a night and nobody can help" - as if to imply its our fault - so we had to drag our 4 nos. mid sized 20+kg luggages + smaller bags up winding flight of stairs to the 3rd level room ourselves - Talking about a warm welcome. 2. Dark, dingy hotel with controlled access.

Besides Location, nothing else.

Central location at bargain price

Given the location/price ratio, you cannot expect five star accommodations. My room was small, but everything was clean, well maintained, and comfortable. Those who are looking for water, kettles, (or an elevator - this is an old building in an old town!) should keep in mind that there is an alimentari right next door and bars that sell cheap coffee everywhere. For the money I saved on the hotel bill, I could afford to buy plenty of water and very nice meals in the neighborhood.

The location at the center of Florence cannot be beat. Neither can the price; the rates are amazingly affordable. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating.

Location and staff were the best.

With little investment the hotel can be a much better place. Paint the walls and new sheets and some decor would not do any harm.

The staff is great and helpful. Well organized and available all the time.

Good value of money esp travelling with friends.

Bathroom on my friends room needs updating as it floods after taking a shower and the toilet seat are high for the children.

Near the market , train station and easy to explore around

Barely acceptable.

No elevator, 51 Steps up to second floor 🤬. Staff carried our 2 bags for us). Breakfast not included, was €5 extra for stale croissants & coffee (juice and cornflakes available)🤮. Room barely big enough, noisy at night (we were on street side). Description on Booking.com was lacking in these details😡.

Good location - That’s it😠

The hotel is in a fantastic location, easy walk to...

The hotel is in a fantastic location, easy walk to everywhere (train station, galleries/museums, food, shopping). There is someone on the desk 24 hours, and I found all the staff were lovely. The furnishings were quaint and characterful. The bathroom could do with some updating, however it too was in keeping with the quaint furnishings. Access was up two floors (4.5 flights of stairs).. it was heavy going with a big pack on my back. I would recommend this place to stay, but be mindful of accessibility issues.

Charges too much for the location
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Overpriced: 85 euros for room without bahroom. Hotel is in the second floor without ascensors. Shared bathroom not clean.

Localization, near San Lorenzo Market

Great clean, comfortable location in the heart of the city
    • Quintuple Room

A little noisy at night and morning because of the market stalls

We had a comfortable room for 5. The bathroom was new with a wonderful shower. Beds were very comfortable. Very clean

San Lorenzo accomodated our needs for one night, late arrival and included bathroom for under $100

I was disappointed to learn that we couldn't have the breakfast that was included in the price because we got in too late and they'd already ordered. Seems they should have included us in their order because we had a reservation or corrected the order or somehow accommodated us .

We needed a place that could let us in at midnight. San Lorenzo was good for that. And we had our own bathroom - the two things I needed. We had to take a taxi from the airport when we arrived due to the late hour. But the next day we were able to walk to the train station so the central location paid off in the morning.

Dont bring a heavy luggage if u do decide to stay here.
    • Quadruple Room

Lots of stairs to climb in order to get to the rooms so if you're carrying heavy luggages.. Good luck :)

Friendly receptionist, pretty good location.

Good location, good value for money
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

You have to climb stairs and if you have big luggage it might be difficult. The bathroom is shared but i guess thats common.

Very good location!! Right infront of the market and the train station is near.

not good experience

its an old looking hotel with no lights and no many guest waiting in hotel even in prime location. the reception person changed thrice in 4 hrs and looks like the hotel is just running for sake. Doesn't look healthy for a couple or single girl to stay in.

Short time stay

1.You need to consider that the hotel is not suitable for old people. There is no lift, and at night time it is a bit noisy. 2. Wi-Fi signal was poor. 3. There was unpleasant smell when we checked-in, that why we had to open windows ( and it was 32 C degrees outside).

1. You choose this hotel only for the location. It is in walking distance from the center of Florence, main attractions, Central Market(which is brilliant). 2. Bathroom was clean. 3. Size of the room is decent. We stayed only 1 night, basically it wasn't bad for short stay.

The location was excellent, which was why i booked here.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

You walk up 3 flights of stairs with your luggage in the sweltering heat to be told by the check in guy that your $180 a night room has no AC, and when I ask if there is a room with AC we could upgrade to, he laughs sadistically and says "a room in Florence with AC is $600 a night". It is a Friday night, we have been travelling all day - I figure we can survive and things will cool as the night falls. He brings us to our room, which - although we asked for separate beds (I am travelling with my 16 year old son) we get a room (or really a cell) with one full sized bed. I feel pretty much like there is nothing we can do. It is 4 pm in Florence on a Friday night and the front desk guy has told us a room elsewhere would be $600. I gird myself for a rough night in the most expensive hotel we have booked for our month long stay in Europe. I want my 16 year old son to see central Florence before we have to take a train out to Austria the next day. We leave our luggage on the disgusting red carpet that feels disgustingly moist under our feet and head out. "We didn't come here to be in a room anyway" I tell myself. The location of the San Lorenzo is quite excellent. 5 minute walk and you are in central florence. Across the street also is an amazing marketplace with gourmet food. Don't miss it. - Okay so midnight we return to the room. With the lights on, I can see how utterly filthy this place is. There is a window with bars on it above the bed. The front desk man had said if we opened the window, mosquitoes would come in. I thought "how bad can it be?". So I open the window because the room is sweltering. Mosquitoes swarm in because the window opens to like another apartment area where people must have sitting water on their walkways. Close the window. We pull the disgusting bedcover off the bed and my son tunes in to the meager wifi that struggles to connect thru the dense walls.

The location was excellent, which was why i booked here. Too bad the hotel is such an overpriced flop house - it was by far our worst stay in Europe, and the 2nd worst place I have ever stayed in my life of international travel (worst place was a $5 a night in a small town in Guatemala where the mattress was on the floor, if that gives you visual for comparison).

Sleep in an oven!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No ventilation (one tiny high window to protected courtyard) and no air conditioner. Barely tolerable with fan in Florence in June. Do not recommend in summer!!!!!

Very clean. They stored our bags for us while we toured all day. Shower tiny and up a staircase but good water pressure. Great location but not worth the price without a/c and windows.

The hotel is a good one with kind staff.

Poor wifi connection

The hotel is a good one with kind staff. The location is very good, 5 minutes walk to Duomo. The room was beautiful and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Staff were quite helpful and hospitable.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

Room smelt a bit moldy. No elevator, though it's already mentioned in the description, I still need to emphasize that the levels are higher than modern buildings. It's quite some climbs with heavy luggages.

Staff were quite helpful and hospitable. Central located, walkable distance to all sightseeings.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

A good locale in Firenze
    • Quadruple Room

Very close to San Lorenzo Market. And, a short walk to the train station and to the Accedemia to see David. We stayed in a quad room that was a good value. It had a small refrigerator that we used to keep some water bottles cold for our return to the room. The windows blocked the street noise from the market and restaurant below, so the room was quiet. Receptionist was friendly and nice when he checked us in.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Hotel was close to most everything, there was a park near by...

We had to use a parking garage and it was not stated in the booking or hotel website prior, might be a good tip to add for future travelers. Also, the hotel was pet friendly but would not let us leave our pet in the room without supervision. Also something that should be mentioned on the website prior to booking.

Hotel was close to most everything, there was a park near by for our puppy. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the bathroom was very clean.

Pleasant Stay (Good value for money)

- The hotel is on 2nd floor with very steap stairs, not good for old people or if you have big luggage. Needs an elevator after long day of walking the city, so hard to climb the stairs. - No refrigator, so if u r staying long time cannot bring food to avoid spoiling. - Also no kettele for boiling water and preparing some hot drinks for yourself. But all this was clearly mentioned on booking, so expected.

- The room is clean. - The bed matress is very comfy. - The room decoration nice. - The bathroom is well prepared. - The staff are friendly. - The location is perfect, near the train station (8 mins walking), also only walking distance from the city center and main piazza and all the shopping and restaurants. Sure will recommend to friends.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Highly recommended place!!
    • Quintuple Room

Probably the fact that this hotel does not have an elevator which at the same time is part of the charm of Florence.

I liked the fact that the hotel was right next to the markets and I loved Bruno & Mariano, they where wondeful to us.

Good location.
    • Quadruple Room

Noisy at night and early morning but probably is to be expected being so close to market sellers. Hard work carrying suitcases up 3 flights of stairs - no lift!

Good location.

A good base if you intend to visit the Firenze essentials

We booked to stay 2 days. Unfortunately, we lost the last train from Milano to Florence and missed the first of the two nights! No one from the hotel paid any attention to our absence (trying to contact us and find out what's happening, showing an interest). When we communicated with them (from a hotel in Bologna where we finally passed the night) they first wanted to make sure that we would pay the whole amount of money (for the 2 nights booked). We didn't intend to pay less money (it was our mistake to miss the train). We just found the behavior irrelevant. and got surprised cause the reception staff we met face to face the next day was really helpful.

Nice place. Near the center of Florence and not far away the train station. The staff we met was friendly, really helpful and well informed.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Value for money

Noisy neighborhood late midnight (probably from the downstairs restaurants ), difficult to sleep even if you switch on A/C and close windows tight.

Near to Train station, safe,clean and comfortable with family.

Friendly hotel close to the train station and the historical city centre
    • Quadruple Room

Just for information..the hotel is on the second floor and there is no elevator. So for seniors it could be difficult to climb the stairs more times a day.

The hotel was very close to the city centre, we could reach everything by walk. The staff was very friendly, we could leave our luggage there after our stay, while we went to sightseeing.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Location of the hotel is great, close to city center but...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I am tall, so bed was too short for me.

Location of the hotel is great, close to city center but quiet at night, many restaurants around the corner. Very nice staff, very clean.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Location, location, location
    • Quadruple Room

The Hotel made a prepayment authorization of the whole amount of accommodation but didn't charge it. Only blocked the money for up to 30 days and made it unavailable until the refund. I have to pay cash the entire amount at the front office. But I t may be also my fault because I did not inform better.

The location was the best: right next to Mercato Centrale, really in the very heart of Florence. The train station is 5-10 minute walking distance. I traveled with other 3 friends and stayed in a 4 beds room with private bathroom and the room was clean and comfortable. The wifi was good. The hotel is at the second floor of an old building ( although the majority of buildings in Florence are old) with no elevator. So there are a few steps to go up but this did not bother us. Overall good money value hotel. I would stay here again keeping in mind the payment policy.

Can recommend!
    • Quadruple Room

We were a little bit afraid after seeing photos of the rooms made by guest, so in the hotel we were positively suprised. Room was big, clean, with a nice bathroom and comfortable beds Reception is open 24h In the hotel area you can find, even at night many shops open. It is close to the city center and to the bus to go to Piazzale Michaleangelo Quality/price range is very good :)

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

Stay
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

There was no heat in the room. It was January so we were freezing to death. Just one air conditioner which gives out hot air but then it wasnt to make the room hot.

The beds and toilet was nice.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Good location, disturbing stairs!

- Disturbing and inconvenient too many stairs, very difficult with luggage, however, this is almost stated in their description, second floor with no lift! - We had to leave the key every time we go out, this was my first time to be asked to do so in a hotel. - Wifi wasn't stable most of the time. - A bit noisy because of the San Lorenzo Market

- Good location, walking distance to everywhere. - Very near to Santa Maria Novella Train Station. - Friendly staff - Clean room

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Decent enough stay but perfect location!
    • Quintuple Room

Night staff were rude and un-accommodating. very poor hospitality in comparison to the day staff. Asking for simple hot water & tea bags proved to be an arduous task. There is no lift- so you have to climb a few flights of stairs.

Location was amazing! Perfect for exploring the city and right opposite the amazing food market. Bathroom facilities were good and room was comfortable. The lady at the front desk was lovely.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Good worth for your money!

Did not put out info on the Web page about extra fees (town tax). STAIRS! OMG of you have got big/heavy luggage be ready! Three flight of stairs,although they warned us about that.

The staff were lovely and very helpful. Great location,10min walking distance to the center of town and to the train station.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Wonderful Stay in the Heart of Florence!

The San Lorenzo was exactly what we wanted for our stay in Florence (and exactly what the other reviews have indicated). This hotel is in the heart of Florence and a tremendous value. We stayed in a 3-bed room with an attached bathroom (wet bathroom, which fascinated our 9-year-old). The beds were "camp beds" (again, you will see this in the other reviews), but they were comfortable and clean, as was the bathroom. The owner of the hotel was on-site for most of our stay and was very nice and helpful. The hotel is also located across the street from the Florence Market, which provided a great place for quick meals, though there are also wonderful sit-down restaurants very close by for a more authentic experience. If you want to stay at a hotel that is a wonderful value and very close to everything in Florence, this is the place to stay. If you want to spend time seeing Florence and get a good nights rest after a day of walking this beautiful city, stay at the San Lorenzo. If you want a spa experience, Florence has other options for a lot more money. We highly recommend the San Lorenzo for budget-oriented travelers (with families) who want to focus on experiencing Florence and the joys of traveling.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

The location was great

When I arrived at the hotel around 14:00 the member of staff asked me to come back at 15:00 to checkin so they can clean the room. Later when i got there at 15:00 the same guy asked me to wait another hour to check in, i had to wait like till 16:00 to get the keys. the staff was not friendly. they don't have fridge in the room and the bathroom wasn't clean as it should be. And I'm pretty sure that blanket hasn't been changed for ages.

The location was great

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

A warm welcome in Florence

As in many older buildings, there was no elevator - which is also noted in their advertisement. Those with mobility problems might have some trouble climbing the stairs with luggage.

The location was very convenient and easy to reach on foot from Santa Maria Novella station. Reception was friendly and courteous, and the room clean and comfortable! They were also happy to store our luggage on the last day while we explored the city before catching our train.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

I love that location of the hotel.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I love that location of the hotel. It was very close to everything and there is a carrefour express just around the corner! Stuff in hotel was great and friendly and there was always someone behind the reception desk, so if you need help with something, they are always there for you.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

will stay here again)
    • Quadruple Room

was a little bit noisy, cause in the morning there was some works on market squere but it probably sоmething occausinal

the room was very cosy, everything was clean, the location is excelent and You have a wondefull restaurant ZA-ZA near the building )

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Definitely a good stay.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

I traveled with my grandmother and her friend and the amount of stairs was a challenge for them. They also noted that we had the very top room with no emergency exit available. There was no breakfast on any morning as was advertised. Also the staff (according to my grandmother) wasn't very pleasant or helpful.

The beds were fine and the location was awesome.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Excellent value for money in wonderful Florence.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The stairs but the management carried my bags up and were extremely kind and helpful. The property was well managed

I loved the location and it was clean. I was worried cos of a bad review but the staff were caring and kind. The room was immaculate as were the shared facilities. I would definitely recommend it and hope to return some day. Every effort was made to ensure I was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Excellent location on a budget
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We had a shared bathroom which was kept spotless up until the last day. We also didn't have air con in our room but I think it is an option in other rooms so request it when booking.

The location is excellent, only a 5 minute walk to the train station and main square. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

Great location, would recommend.

Location was a bit loud. FYI, hotel is on the 3rd floor, and breakfast is not included in the price.

Great location very near important sights. Refrigerator in room. Staff very friendly.

Agreeable and convenient
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We had no proper shower! Room was small and dark. Bad accommodation.

The location is amazing.

The location is amazing.

Good position and quality/price

Good position and quality/price

Value for Money

Poor Wifi inside the rooms

Location, value for money and very clean. Also great staff.

Very well placed, near to all facilities and close to...

Small room

Very well placed, near to all facilities and close to amnisties.

Nice comfortable and good location

Breakfast is an extra 5€ per person per day.

Room was good sized and comfortable, very clean. Staff pleasant. The location is very good!

Nothing was nice

Great Value
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Great value, friendly staff, shared bathroom but was always available.

Just a night stay. Nothing more than that.
    • Quintuple Room

Too many stairs to climb to reach to the room. Very ordinary rooms.

Nothing mentionable

Friendly Personnel

Nice Location. Helpful Reception

A good choice for a short stay in the city centre.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The single room with shared bathroom has in fact no real window.

Perfect location and nice staff. Good value for money.

Perfect location.

Perfect location. Possibility of leaving the luggage before checkin

Too much noise

Too much noise

good ,very good room and all things in order very clean

good ,very good room and all things in order very clean

Located in city centre.

Poor wifi signal in the room. Signal often broke down.

Located in city centre. Walking distance of 'everything'. Value for money.

Excellent location

Very good staff and excellent location

It is not acceptable to stay for 4 days and on the first day...

It is not acceptable to stay for 4 days and on the first day to be told that the linen and towels will not be changed for that period!

practical in the heart of Florence.

Very basic old interiors, however, in line with the price you pay

practical in the heart of Florence. Nearby parking facility at reasonable price

Kindness of the host.

Cleanliness. Noise (there was a night when we heard a couple fighting and no one did anything).

Kindness of the host. Reception opened 24 hours.

Enjoyed it

Lots of (nice) stairs without lift difficult with child

Nice old furniture, bathroom with bidet

Browse Hotel San Lorenzo traveller photo gallery