Reviews of Hotel San Michele 4 stars

Via Giuseppe Orlandi 1/3, 80071 Anacapri, Italy

#16 of 17 hotels in Anacapri

I was very happy. No complaints here.

The location & amazing views including that of Mt Vesuvius, classic furniture and decor in foyer, lovely gardens, nice pool, food selection for included breakfast extensive , very clean & free shuttle bus back to port when leaving.

The hotel requires renovation in several places, for example the rooms, the restaurant, the windows in the restaurant should be cleaned. The toilet in the hotel lobby should be sanitized 10 times a day if needed. Going to our room, we passed the toilet, which was not ventilated, and all the smell reached the hotel lobby.

Hotel with excellent views and nice staff The view from the hotel is wonderful. The staff is kind and professional (Armando example)

It was a grand hotel but it is now in need of major TLC. It is very noisy - everything is tile so you hear people moving suitcases, walking and talking in the corridors, and the neighbor was doing yard work so we had a lawnmower for about 3 hours. The maid tried to get into our room while we were still there, once they realized (as we were yelling at them since we were still in bed) they left but continued to talk to each other and it was very loud because of the acoustics. Super old computer available for use in the lobby. The grounds are not kept up very well.

Great location - walk to city center. Room was huge, wifi worked great in our room. Front staff was helpful and very accommodating. They have a van that can pick you up- but email/call a day before otherwise take the bus. The pool is huge! Food and beverage available and the area was fairly quiet.

You have to pay for the sun loungers at the pool - never experienced this before at a hotel!

Fabulous views from the terrace. Breakfast was lovely and room was very clean and good air-con. We had two g&ts for 16£ which is as expected for the area.

Not being able to have drinks or snacks on the terraces and only in the bar at night or at the pool daytime. My room was a single so quite small but adequate and had a large terrace like most on level 1

Magnificent views, old world charm, location near the centre of Anacapri but peaceful. Pool garden food staff and navette to the Port!

Rooms are not well furnished. Bed was not good at all. No mini fridge... No water supplied....tiny shower box. Breakfast was below standard.

The only thing in this Hotels favour is the location right opposite the Amfiteater entrance to Pompeii ruins.

The ONLY concern of our stay...the TINY bathroom! The bathroom is well finished and beautiful with ALL amenities,but sooooo small. A real pity as the rest of the Hotel is top notch.

Everything except the bathroom!! Close walk into Anacapri village...easy bus/ taxi access to Capri and Marina Grande. FABULOUS furniture and decor throughout the Hotel. BEST views on the island!!!!

My bathroom door could not open from the inside. I closed the door and was locked from the inside! Luckily I had my phone with me. I texted my friend who called the hotel and told them I was trapped in the bathroom. They responded quickly and freed me. Thank god I had my phone. I don’t believe they fixed the lock. Still I very beautiful hotel and an incredible price for a single traveler.

Beautiful property with the best view in Capri.

Bad WiFi, staff at reception not very efficient, standard room smaller then it seemed in pictures, and very thin walls - you can hear all and very loud what goes on in the neighbour room and in the corridor. I woke up so many times...

Location, view

Service of waiters at breakfast could have been better. 4 star rating does not compare to hotels in other countries rated at a 4 star rating. Old look and feel in rooms

Location of hotel close proximity to bus stop, restaurants and attractions

Wonderful views, very beautiful building albeit getting old and not being renovated recently (hence the good price), great staff and breakfast. Great value for money!

The fact that the swimming pool was not yet open despite it being very warm, We were very very disappointed, and complained to reception who just seemed to ignore us, with a small apology of ' the pool is not open until May!' Although there was not a mention of this when we booked, so I requested perhaps a cup of tea on the house to compensate just a little!! this was ignored! and we were charged eight euros for two teas,!!! so very expensive hotel, I requested the menu for dinner at 3 o'clock and was told it would be available at 4 but nothing! so at 7.00 we decided to go out for dinner, and again requested the dinner menu, which he finally produced after 5 mins!

Our room was large and close to the balcony with a view of the coastline. Bed was clean and fresh.

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Cost, old fashion style in terms of payment and purchasing food and drinks at the hotel. For the cost it did not meet my expectations. We payed extra for a view and it wasn't really worth it.

Location was perfect for riding and parking our scooter.

The breakfast is a bit sad, all components seem cold and dried. The good news is that they'll make you a free perfect cappuccino or fresh made scrambled eggs if you know to ask, but nowhere is this option mentioned, so I'm guessing many guests are left very unsatisfied by the breakfast because they simply didn't know. Their facilities are a bit dated, you can just feel there's a need for a rework from the last time which may have happened in the 90s, but on the other hand that's probably why they can't raise their prices too much, otherwise a hotel with such a view and large pool should be three or four times more expensive. To me that's a perfect opportunity to enjoy such a historical hotel with a view and pool because I don't care about the old tv or other items. The free shuttle bus they advertise is a bit hit and miss. At first they said shuttle bus is broken, but when I happened to call the second time they agreed to come pick us up.

The view from their balcony is probably the best one of any hotels on the island, it even beats the Villa San Michele, and rivals the ones from the top of Mount Solero. I'm amazed the hotel doesn't market this feature more, it truly is one of the best views in the world. To think I even considered some random home-converted-into-a-B&B place in the middle of Anacapri with similar prices makes me laugh now because there should really be absolutely no contest. They have a huge balcony accessible to all guests, so you don't even need to get the room with sea view to enjoy it.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Some staff not especially helpful, although others were.

Fantastic location and amazing views from balcony, terrace and dining room. Breakfast included in price, lots of choice.

The staff closed the pool 30 minutes early, just when we were on our way there and would not keep it open for us even though we were there before the announced closing time and would not have stayed past the closing time. Not very flexible customer service.

The hotel arranged a shuttle transportation from Capri harbour and back. It was very easy to get to the hotel and back.

The pool closed a bit early but it was understandable off season.

Great location, incredible views, a really nice old timely hotel feeling, beautiful garden, just amazing! Good service too, especially the taxi service to the port below was great and greatly needed.

Absolutely no sound isolation, you can hear every word in the near rooms. The shower was smallest ever, the holes in shower head were workable for 50%. Poor wifi, actualy only in one corner of the room.

Location was great

Everything !! Staff are completely unprofessional without any respect to the guests, our laundry come back not ready and the hotel charge us like they give us dry clothes. They did not even want to iron our clothes, and the iron was banned in the room. Food was old at the breakfast and always cold. I'm really disappointed from this place!

from the taras the view was amazing

The view from the terrasse where we had our morning coffee was absolutely amazing, the hotel common areas are furnished beautifully but the rooms are poor, not very clean, not very comfortable and do not have a nice view

Breakfast staff completely ignored our entrance to the breakfast room and only spoke to us when we made an effort to say hello to them. We did notice that they chatted and greeted other guests on arrival making conversation with other guests throughout the time we were there, but never with us! Upon arrival at the Capri port we tentatively made enquiries about the location of the hotel and luckily a lady told us about the shuttle service you provide, which you never mentioned in your booking.com paperwork. We feel very strongly that the lack of information from transfer to hotel was totally thoughtless and unhelpful to your "guests".

The history of the hotel, the views, location although rather isolated.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Breakfast was not very good,when you stay at 4 star hotel breakfast should be more diverse. Room was not as clean as we expected.

The best part of the hotel is it's location, also the view from the hotel is great. Free shuttle service to Marina Grande is also advantage of this hotel.

• Comfort Double Room

Breakfast was not good. We were expecting much more due the price and area where the Hotel is located. When I tried to book my transfer (I didn´t know the Hotel had this) they message me that it was busy. To go to Anacapri with bags this transfer is very useful. To go back to the port the transfer worked very well.

Very good people at front desk. very kind and useful.

• Comfort Double Room

We had to pay extra for the sunbeds and the umbrela on the swimmig pool.

The view from the hotel was amazing! Top view, we could see the marina, boats, everyhing. The room was very big and clean. Also vey nice garden. The hotel is on walking distance to Anacapri center and there is a bus station to the center of Capri.

The hotel looks nothing like the pictures - it is old, tired and is desperate need of a renovation, particularly the guest rooms and bathrooms. You have to pay €10 for a sun lounge at the hotel pool! After paying insane price for the property. Breakfast dining area is quite horrific environment. Feels like you are trapped in a hotel in 1982.

Short walk to Anacapri town where restaurants are located.

Sound isolation of the rooms (we could ear everything on the entire floor). The hotel has a classic theme, but the rooms could use a renovation.

Awesome views! Nice pool, to relax at the end of the day and the shuttle from the port is a big plus (no need to worry about that). Breakfast was diverse and staff was friendly. It is Anacapri and relatively near to the bus stop.

Nothing negative

The hotel is situated beautifully, the staff super friendly, the facilities clean and so nice. VERY good value for money. The location is perfect for a couple of days in Capri. The hotel shuttle is a major plus at arrival and departure. I highly recommend you stay here!! We loved it!!!

Table lamp socket found broken, wires off the wall. Poor lighting in the room. Very dusty desk, bed frame and bedside table. Not nice to say what I found behind the bed which was by the wall (disgusting-I had to clean before sleeping) Cleanliness in the room was bad in general. Breakfast and location are excellent.

Capri the island is overpriced and so I don't feel like we got a lot of value for money. It was a large hotel with a lack of personality. Definitely in need of some updating. If I had a do over I would have stayed in Praiano on the amalfi coast longer and done a boat trip around the island of Capri which is very doable rather than staying on the island itself. We went to some supposedly good restaurants on the island and they were expensive and not even close to the quality of food that we experienced on the Amalfi coast mainland.

big pool, lovely views from breakfast. Breakfast was good too.

Room was small at any price but especially at the price I paid. Also the hotel is old and walls are thin - you can follow your neighbours conversation. Be careful with the laundry service - I was told simply to give my washing to the cleaner, which I did, but was charged €36, a ridiculous amount at check-out for a few small items. The file in the room describing hotel facilities etc. didn't mention prices but I discovered at check-out that there's a form with the prices on it. If you have 1 or 2 delicate items of clothing you're worried about, its worth it, but not otherwise. Definitely ask for the form and check that you're happy with the prices - don't assume its reasonably priced.

Views from the main balcony

The location of the hotel is amazing. It gives a wonderful view to the Marina Grande. The breakfast was great and also the restaurant offers panoramic views. The bed was comfortable and the personnel were very kind and helpful.

The hotel is in a dire need of refurbishment.

Considering it's location and price of other surrounding hotels, it is definitely good value for money. The pool area is also very relaxing. The staff are also very pleasant.

Amazing mini-break! Great location with views across the bay, large pool perfect for steering clear of the day-tripping crowds, delicious fresh breakfast and kind & helpful staff. Will return!

The beds were quite uncomfy - two twins pushed together which were different heights!

Location is fantastic and views are beautiful. Pool and terraces were great. Staff were helpful with recommendations for dinner and the shuttle back to Marina Grande was handy.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

The stuff isn't qualifying, not friendly and not helpful. The only stuff who made his job good enough was the cleaner women for the room!

The view is fantastic

Air conditioning wasn't working in the room, bathroom underwhelming.

Nice staff, free shuttle pick up and to the centre of town, pool facilities were great, nice big pool great for laps.

terrible noisy rooms. i heard every word from other rooms. every step. every shower, water,toilet. dirty bathroom, old and noisy doors and locks in doors.

very pleasant stuff. also very helpful shuttle from port. very good place.

This was the worst experience I had in my whole trip to Italy. The room they gave me was a "corner" with a single bed, and had nothing to do with the photos I saw on the site. I complained and they gave me a "free" upgrade to a room with a bad taste in decoration, mold in the wall under the air conditioner, a lot of "hair" of the last guest in the bed spread and in the bathroom, and the most dirty bathroom I've ever been! And the hair dryer wasn't working! The breakfast was very poor, with cold coffee and warm iogurt. It was really the most expensive hotel I stayed in my trip, and it was very below the simple and clean bed and breakfasts I stayed before. Four stars???? I would give no star!!! It is a decadent and dirty hotel!!

The view is awesome, but it belongs no Anacapri, not to the hotel.

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

WiFi not working for three days. No help booking trips or sorting onward transport.

The mortadella at breakfast, the macchiato and the lovely housekeeping staff and young gentleman porter. The room was lovely with an amazing view and this made up for a lot of the the other service issues.

The hotel is located on the top of the hill with a fantastic view! The rooms are nice and clean, pool and bar is also available right at your doorstep. Staff do speak English which helps a lot :-) They were very friendly and helpful with "where to go/what to do".

Furniture in the room (I had a 2-bed room, without sea view) is rather 3 than 4 stars. But cleaned daily. Plastic garden furniture on the room's balcony not cleaned at all.

Breathtaking view from the hotel's balcony. 25m swimming pool, free for hotel guests. It was a real treat, as there are not many free beaches in Capri! Good location, close to the bus stop and the touristic city centre. English speaking staff, smiley cleaning ladies. Tasty breakfast included in the price. I felt myself wonderful at this place!

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Comfort Double Room

The rooms were a bit small and the balcony in room 221 was very small. We paid 200 euro per night and we were surprised not to be offered a higher class of room for that price. This was not high Season and we had booked far in advance! As a matter of fact I asked for a better room after we were offered the first one on the ground floor near to the road. We then got room 221 which was only marginally better but at that point I didn't feel like fighting for a better room. I know the hotel was not full so feel that could have offered us a better room.

Great pool. Lovely breakfast room with nice staff to help.

The room too small, 4 star hotel no free drinking water or coffee in the room. The shower room is freaking small until the water is leaking out until the room.

Free shutter bus between Marina Grande to the hotel and nice view from the room.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Some suggestions to hotel: - If you want to sell drinks from mini bar fridge in room a good start is to have fridge working. - When offering safe in room make sure it works, plus written instructions on how to use it will do no harm. - As reception staff it's ok to be service minded and smile rather than to look suspiciously at paying guests.

The location, the view, the surroundings. A hotel with a lot of history to tell!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Bed was very creaky! Just getting off it made lots of noise!

The balcony was sublime as were the grounds, communal balcony, pool and breakfast area - what views!!! Free transfer to the port when we left was an added bonus as well. Staff were really friendly, lots of choice for breakfast too. Staff knew the area well and gave great suggestions. Boyfriend didn't want to leave he just wanted to look at the beautiful mt Vesuvius that we could see with the sun setting! Everything was very easy to do in the hotel and really finished off our stay in Italy.

Breakfast was ok. Was number many place in my 2week trip and breakfast at lower rated place was much beter. Pool was not even filled yet. It look much nicer in the pictures on booking.com that in real life. For a 4star place I felt underwhelmed

Room had a great view

Breakfast could have been better and floor in the room was a bit dusty.

The view from our room was Amazing! Location is great. Close to the nearest bus stop to Capri town, the port and walking distance from the chair lift. Hotel also provided us with shuttle back to the port on check out.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Everything was perfect.

One of the best property on the island. Very friendly staff. Allowed early check-in as well. Room was ocean facing and the view from balcony was amazing. One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Full value for money.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The breakfast - the eggs. The cappuccino was brilliant.

Fantastic views from this hotel- it felt like you were in the clouds. Quiet, beautiful gardens, great swimming pool, walking distance to Ana Capri main Piazza and shopping and sites. Room was adequate with fabulous view.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

nothing at all.

Everything was superb, The location, the staff friendliness, Food etc. Extremely good hotel. Nice rooms with panoramic sea view and a spa, in-house restaurants, Large pool, Very very helpful staff, I do recoment this hotel to anyone at any time.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The full payment was taken on booking. This is not what I expected, I was expecting to pay cash at the hotel. This lost me over £160 due to exchange rates and charges. But I think this was due to miss information from booking.com not the hotel possibly. I am still waiting for a reply to an email from August!

Small room and bathroom but reasonably comfortable. Nice pool and great location to be able to walk into Anacapri.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

no air room, noisy and dusty air circulation system,not clean room, uncomfortable bed.

excellent location, friendlyand helpful staff, shuttle service is very beneficial and reason to book here

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Breakfast was a miserable fail!

I liked the location of this hotel, the cleanliness and the size of the room. Comfortable bed. The wifi was excellent too!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Never use the elevator. NEVER. My wife got trapped and the hotel staff was absolutely inefficient and unprofessional in dealing with the emergency. There were no maintenance people, no equipment, no tools available. The firemen had to be called and it took them a good hour and a half to take my wife out

The hotel has a beautiful location with a gorgeous view over Capri.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

The toilet in the lobby didn't have any toilet roll.no more negatives

We really appreciated the free shuttle service from the port,and the size of the balcony from the room was amazing.as was the view from the hotel,it was extremely relaxing.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

The room was certainly not clean at all. There were several stains on the bedding - God knows the last time it was washed. The room was so small that I couldn't even open my luggage properly. It was definitely not worth the money I paid for. The bed was very uncomfortable that as a person with 1.60 cm height, I had difficulty to fit in it. The bathroom did not look very clean, either. Definitely not worth the money. Too high of a price for a very uncomfortable room.

The breakfast was much better than I expected considering the poor conditions of the room I stayed at. The menu had great variety. The hotel has an amazing view. It's very beautiful. They also provided me a pick up service both from and to the port. But you should call or e-mail the hotel beforehand for a car to pick you up from the port and tell the guys at the reception the time you want it to take you to the port when you are going to leave. Anacapri's main bus station is a 10 minute walk from the hotel and you can take the bus to Capri there since it's too crowded and would probably not pick you up if you wait in front of the hotel. But it leaves you directly in front of the hotel on the way back if you ask the driver to. The hotel has a very old-fashioned decoration which made me think that might be why the rooms were so uncomfortable and old-fashioned, too. But I think they might earn enough money to make a renovation with those prices they set for the rooms! The wifi connection was not working, either.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room

They could provide towels at the poolside

Everything was perfect, we had a large room with terrace and an amazing sea view. The breakfast buffet had lots of food on offer and staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean throughout.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

The shower glass was loose and totally soaked the bathroom. No sunbeds available, even though loads have towels on and nobody using them. You have to pay for sunbeds €6 a day. The breakfast is mediocre

Amazing views wherever you look Shuttle to the port and back Friendly and knowledgeable staff

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

I like that the staffs are very informative and patient. They are always be there for u if you need any help. The hotel is very clean with fab view. Totally love my vacation there.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

The hotel is super old, the wifi was very slow we could barely use it. We asked for our room to be cleaned but they didn't even change the sheets or the towels! I'm so surprised this hotel calls themselves a 4 star hotel. We went to 3 star hotels that has better services and cleanliness. We also asked once for an iron and the answer was that they didn't have it! How's that possible? It was definitely NOT worth the hefty amount of money.

We liked that the hotel was close to the main Piazza Victoria in Anacapri, that meant it was convenient to take the bus to and from the hotel going to the marina grande or Capri.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, some of the staff were unpleasant and the transfer offered was never available on the twice we asked resulting in expensive taxis

The views were spectacular and it was very clean

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

The room on first arrival stank of smoke. We complained and were moved but the new room was incredibly small. The decor was not very nice. The staff were not particularly friendly or helpful. The area around the swimming pool was not nice. I thought it was awful that to get a proper sun lounger (not a deck chair) it would cost us money!!

The views at the hotel were fabulous. The communal areas were nice. Just a little dated and old. The swimming pool was nice

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Very basic room at a fairly high price. Not great value for money for the room

Location and views from the hotel are superb. Staff were very helpful and Free shuttle bus to Capri Port is very useful.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

- Beds was horrible, - Air conditioning was a joke. - Extremely noisy rooms both from the outside road and from corridors, impossible to sleep. - Hotel manger did not care at all about our complaints. + Nice views. Onestly this was our worst hotel experience ever.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Need some update in the decoration of the bedrooms, great potential but wasted... Poor breakfast considering it is a four stars hotel...

Great location and nice building.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Classic Double Room with Sea View

Such a terrible experience.Swimming pool by the main road! People waving to you while you try to relax! Definitely hotel in need of good refurbishment .Excellent location and views!But the rest is just terrible. Breakfast very poor!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

More lawn chairs with the face cover would be nice.😊

Amazing staff!! We checked in at midnight. We were exhausted and starving from leaving Marlin Guest house, worst staff. A kind gentleman quickly checked us in amd made us sandwiches because everything was closed. Everything was perfect from the pool to the location!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

The dining room was tired and the breakfast not up to the standard of the other hotels I have stayed in on my Italy trip, ok though.

Charming hotel. The pool area was lovely. My superior bedroom was huge. The staff were helpful and spot on with information about the island.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

I can't think of anything??!

I loved this hotel! It's traditional in that it's longstanding and I like that it's not corporate, but family owned (I think?). I am often so disappointed when I travel alone and I am given a broom cupboard room. But I can't tell you how thrilled and happy I was when I first discovered my room here. A view over the sea! A huge light bedroom AND bathroom! A lovely breakfast overlooking the sea as well. It is well run with lovely staff and if at am fortunate to return to Capri I will stay there again. It's location really is wonderful. It's a very short walk from Anacapri where there's a lively shopping and eating scene. An honest and enthusiastic recommendation!

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

There are only deck chairs around the pool and one or two loungers that were not offered to us. They also dont let you lie on the grass. The staff on the whole were not friendly at all, there was no Italian charm!

The hotel is in a great location and has a super pool. You are a 3 min walk in to the centre of Anacapri which has beautiful winding lanes and restaurants. The hotel has stunning views of the sea and capri porto grande with easy access to the local bus that will take you to capri. The hotel is a grand old dame that has perhaps just had it's heyday, its very pretty but not as grand as it once was.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Superior Double Room with Sea View

Where to start. Can someone please put a firecracker up the a*** of the front desk staff and teach them what service means. At least wake them up. This hotel has so much potential but it is slumbering to tour group oblivion. The patio outside the restaurant has incredible views right over the sea 300m below - so naturally they serve dinner round the back next to the pool. It's a good lap pool but it ain't the Bay of Naples - just saying. And that sums up everything else in a world of missed opportunities - stay here for a great location on a budget but don't expect to enjoy the experience.

The renovated room and the amazing view.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room

The living rooms are all extremely old fashioned - period if you like - dating from the building of the hotel over 100 years ago. At least they are authentic, but they were ornate, as they were in that era. They could have been larger as well so you would'nt want to lounge there!

The view from the dining room is spectacular and although we did not get a seaview room as requested, they moved us to a fabulous room on our fourth and last night. The swimming pool is huge - a great bonus.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

Room is like a prison... Very very small to a extend i open my bag on the bed The bed is like a prisoner bed No tissues Tv is the oldest samsung screen, size equal to a desktop screen

The view

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Room had absolutely no view despite being advertised as having views, wifi dropped out constantly. There was no introduction of the room's facilities and the attractions around the island. Also Annacapri is 10 min drive from Capri (the more exciting part of the island) but the hotel never organised any shuttles. Instead we were asked to squeeze into packed buses to and from the Capri town centre.

The hotel changed our room after our request.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

• Comfort Double Room

There were ants all over our room which would be understandable given the climate, however they were on the beds and other furniture.

The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. The breakfast buffet was fantastic.

Browse Hotel San Michele traveller photo gallery