Reviews of Villa di Piazzano Residenza d'Epoca

#3 of 30 hotels in Cortona

9.7

9.7

Nothing to dislike.

The Villa di Piazzano Residenza d'Epoca has marvelous character and elegance and is in a great location. The staff are very professional and cheerful. Overall the hotel is very well appointed with an excellent restaurant making for a very comfortable and relaxing 3 day stay.

• Classic Double Room

Unfortunately a very large number of English and American speaking guests made our staff feel like a little pocket of the United States. This does ruin the ambience of the property but can’t be helped. The coffee was unusually poor for Italy - very weak in taste.

If you want a villa in the middle of the countryside it is great. Clean rooms, very authentic building and staff speak impeccable English and are happy to help. Beautiful - but unheated - pool area. The room was large, great shower and comfortable - but it is a high price compared to other properties in the area.

• Classic Double Room

You need upgrade the billing process. My credit card was denied. There was no issue with my card and I confirmed with my bank. Very troubling experienced when checking out. Needs to be addressed

• Classic Double Room

We loved everything. Every little thing. It’s stunning, beautiful at every turn. Delightful staff, so attentive. It is supremely managed. Can’t wait to return.

Magnificent grounds & setting Intimate hotel with feel of luxury throughout Very romantic & relaxing atmosphere Outstanding staff, food & service

• Classic Double Room

Fantastic place to stay. As I imagined a luxurious Tuscan villa. Great views to the mountains around. Peaceful. Very efficient and friendly staff. Excellent food. Beautiful property

• Suite - Annex

it would have been better if i had booked for a longer stay! there will be a next time :)

the very friendly and attentive staff, our suite (room) on the courtyard, the amenities, the heating system, the courtyard, attention to details were spectacular! we had dinner at the restaurant and it turns out they have a new chef who just started this year. My husband and i both had fish, the sea bream and red mullet...definitely world-class dishes. Michelin guys, definitely have a look!

The personnel was awesome- when we arrived they made us feel at home as soon as we opened the door and let us check out late on as well. They took personal care and we felt special. We enjoyed an upgrade to a sweet, which felt like a real countryhouse. The breakfast is served outside on a picturesque yard- we really loved it. romantic countryside villa, great for couples or people who want to get away from the city. Definitely the place to return.

• Classic Double Room

We loved our one night stay - I wish we stayed for longer and will definitely be back. The villa is decorated beautifully in a modern way but retaining the original features. High ceilings, large comfortable beds, a wet room. The staff were fantastic, ready to help and very friendly. The food was delicious, breakfast lunch and dinner. The bar man (was it Anton?) made a special recipe GnT. Enjoyed relaxing by the pool, getting lost in the hills during my run and visiting Cortona. There's a cute kitten called Luna as well for the animal lovers. I can't wait to be back!

The property is situated in the countryside and so we ate there each night except on Tuesday when the restaurant is closed. Apart from a daily three course special, there was no variation in the menu which we found rather limiting.

The room was nicely furnished with a very comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom facilities were good and the air conditioning functioned well. The breakfast options were very good.

• Junior Suite with Garden View

Absolutely gorgeous place! I was very impressed this being my second time in this area but first in this hotel. The place is absolutely stunning, lushyous gardens, attention to details and the perfect music thru the air. This place is pure magic and poetry. I have not seen many places like this in the world and you even get to know the history behind the location and how this family renovated and transformed that into this Tuscan paradise. Very happy with our choice.

• Classic Double Room

This is an exceptional property - friendly professional staff, rare attention to detail both in accommodations and service, sumptuous breakfast, great pool service by whatsapp, and excellent location. We started planning our return for much longer by the picturesque pool. Absolutely without a fault!

One of the best hotels We've stayed in. Exceptional service and attention to detail. Being able to use 'Whatsapp' to message for drinks etc from the pool was an excellent idea! Beautiful rooms, exquisite food in the restaurant, sumptuous breakfast and fabulous location. Totally faultless. We very rarely visit the same place twice. We will be returning here for sure and for longer.

• Deluxe Double Room

The service was short of expectations for the price. The place is overpriced.

Location is beautiful, the villa itself was well presented. Photos of the swimming pool on the villa's web site overrepresent it. I was disappointed seeing the swimming pool upon arrival at the property, it was average. The service was disappointing for the price. Not a luxury service at a luxury price.

• Classic Double Room

We felt that the meals were overpriced for what you get. We were in the classic room on the top floor. The blind has a gap between the blind and the window and this was the skylight and so the light would shine in in the morning. We managed to put some paper in the gap which solved the problem quite well but not what you expect for the price. The doors are very cheap and you can hear everything from the corridoor and the noise disturbed us at night and in the morning.

Excellent breakfast with plenty of fresh fruit, juice, pastries and yogurt etc. Amazing coffee. The staff are lovely and the service is really 5*. They also have a what's app which meant were could quickly and easily contact the hotel and they could respond immediately. Lovely soft white towels in the bathroom and also big white fluffy dressing gowns. Stunning views from all angles. The pool overlooks a sunflower field and hills with unspoilt woodland. Beautiful landscaped gardens and roman terrace. Very peaceful and yet close to the town.

• Classic Double Room

The wi-fi speed is a little bit slow.

This family-run hotel is one of the most beautiful hotels we have ever visited and is perfect for honeymoons and other romantic celebrations. Our daughter is going to marry next year and I have already recommended this amazing villa for their honeymoon. Take a look at my attached photos and you will understand my recommendation! My wife and I have been traveling around the world and visited a lot of amazing hotels and resorts e.g. in Seychelles, Mauritius and Hawaii. I can´t remember we ever have experienced this extreme high level of service from all of the staff which served us nearly 24h! My wife and I felt we were treated like royalty – the King and Queen from Norway :-) Even the man that works in the garden and pool area did an excellent job and worked hard all day long even when the temperature raised to nearly 40 degrees! The owner should be very proud of her staff! Our beautiful room (Clementina - 303) was very spacious and beautiful decorated (see my photos). I ordered a bottle of Prosecco to surprise my wife at arrival and it was placed in a beautiful picnic basket. What a great surprise! The room had a very spacious bathroom with a large shower with a monsoon head. The huge bed is probably the best I have ever slept in. The villa is set in a beautiful location which is romantic, peaceful and very relaxing. A beautiful terrace outside which makes for the most breathtakingly beautiful sunsets with a glass of wine or over a dinner. Spend your day by the beautiful pool, take a swim or just immerse yourself into the breathtaken surroundings. The restaurant served us a light lunch and we also had dinner there the first night. The food was delicious and the menu unusual and interesting. Breakfast was included in our stay and it was very satisfactory with numerous fresh selections of breakfast items. In summary, Villa di Piazzano is a very well run hotel/resort offering a very high standard of quality and service.

The staff, location, pool, room exceeded our expectation. Biking around the area was great too. Being elevated meant we always had a lovely breeze on the extra hot days. Only 10 minutes drive to Cortona and close to multipiciano, Chianti etc.

• Classic Double Room

The service was excellent, besides the location, the people who work there are the reason we will definitely be back! Jessica & Victor were fantastic and very helpful!

• Classic Double Room

By far the best hotel we stayed during our whole Tuscany trip. Breathtaking view and environment (DON'T MISS THE GARDEN! ), luxury room, fantastic staff and one of the greatest restaurants we've had in Italy. Would definitely come back for sure in the future.

Restaurant was pretentious. I go to Italy to hear grazie and prego not thank you and you are welcome Food portions were miniscule

Nice location, building and garden area

• Classic Double Room

No tea/coffee facilities in the room. Would probably not be particularly convenient if you didn't have a car. A lot of flies around, but hey, it's the countryside!

Beautiful villa and surroundings. Pool is amazing. Very peaceful location close to Cortona. Wonderful staff made us feel valued as guests. Breakfast was probably one of the best we had on our trip around Italy.

• Classic Double Room

I loved the location!! The Tuscany dream location I had in mind .... the service and the staff was EXCELLENT! And super friendly, the owners come to speak to you and tell you the history of the place and most important to me, dog friendly !! I'm strictly vegan, so the chef adapted some dishes from the menu to be VEGAN friendly, Will definitely be back

• Classic Double Room

Experts in Hospitality well trained Staff very friendly and helpful Luxury and comfort in the middle of Enchanting Nature well maintained Landscapes inviting Pool rich Breakfast Raffinated cuisine great selection of wines Spacious beer room comfy Matress and pillows

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

I liked (loved) everything. The only small issue is that I got some insect bites that i still cannot identify, but other than that, everything was perfect!

Everything was great, loved the atmosphere, the room, beakfast and not to mention that the staff was also amazing.

• Classic Double Room

Forst room given to me was in main villa top floor didnt have much light. I just wanted that spring light and sun to come in. So, kindly they did change my room to cottage room was pretty and with lots of window. Then, was next to parking and that wasnt very pleasent. :-( But over all, I loved my stay and felt like home. Defntly would go back!

Villa itself very well kept and staff were amazing. Friendly and super polite too. They were there for anything you needed..

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

it was a stay at a heavenly villa with a staff who did everything to insure our comfort, relaxation and attention to detail. Our room was wonderful, spacious and luxurious with the best of linen bedding and fluffy pillows. The bathroom was beautiful with an abundance of towels and accessories. From breakfast buffet to elegant dinner we could not ask for anything more! The grounds and pool were beautifully planned and added to quiet respite. We anticipate a future visit and recommend the hotel to travelers who cannot imagine what a wonderful stay will await them!

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Would have loved it more if the pool was heated

Amazing villa. Service was outstanding. We really enjoyed the cooking class! Cream of leek soup was my favourite.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

We genuinely can't think of any negatives.

This is a superb property, lovingly restored. I am so glad we found it! Beautiful gardens - the perfect place to sit and enjoy a coffee or glass of wine. The staff and owners are delightful and go out of their way to provide everything you need. The restaurant is excellent - dinner and breakfast were absolutely delicious. We can't recommend this family-run hotel highly enough. Great base from which to explore southern Tuscany. Book it!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Cannot think of anything

Location View friendly and enthousistic staff. Breakfast on the terras swimmingpool it all contributted to a romantic and enjoyable stay.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

I liked everything! The room was large, bathroom large, modern standard, good wifi all over the property. From inside to the outside property, it was such a beautiful place. Very attentive staff, great service and great breakfast. They also have a good lunch and dinner menu (although I would eat out at least one night locally in Cortona). An absolute gem of a place if you are looking for a romantic and quiet break, we will be back.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

There were a lot of mosquitos, they do seem to be a problem but our last day seemed free of them. Rooms are very classic Tuscan in style, clean and spacious but could maybe do with an update.

Lovely pool area, very quiet and relaxing location.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

cannot think of anything that Idid not like, would love to go back there in the future

Restaurant and breakfast were very nice, the bed was super comfortable , room beautifully decorated and staff very friendly. The big pool is heated!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

The only complaint must be aimed at the mosquitoes!

We can honestly say that our recent stay here was wonderful, we did not want to leave, and will definitely go back! We liked everything that Villa di Piazanno had to offer. As we were visiting various locations in Tuscany, we also found this Villa to be good value. Beautiful location, peaceful, very friendly staff. Informal. Spacious, clean bedroom overlooking the garden ( this was a basic room too). Good pool and pool seating. Fabulous food. Relaxed. Equally geared up for families with children, pets and couples without children. We loved it! Cortona and various good restaurants only10 minutes away too.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

The mattresses that we had were a bit saggy.. maybe time to be replaced? Everything else was great though!

The villa, the air-conditioned rooms, the gardens, the pool area... all were lovely. The food at the restaurant was also top notch and the staff are clearly very highly trained. The garden also has stunning views of the Tuscan sunset.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Junior Suite - Annex

I wish there had been a gym and that the pool would have slightly longer opening hours. Also while we were there staff moved the lawn and cut tree branches for 1.5 days straight - it probably had to be done but the background noise after a while became really annoying.

Fantastic welcome, cosy countryside setting, very welcoming staff. The breakfast was very nice and we had dinner at the hotel as well. The pool was very nice, big and never crowded. The grounds were beautiful and have a warm cosy feeling to the place. We stayed in a beautiful large junior suite that had very large windows overlooking the garden. Cortona is a short drive away and absolutely worth visiting.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Only little minus was the restaurant during dinners. We got a feeling that restaurant or at least a head waitress (etc.) who was asking the orders was trying too much during dinners. I would be happy to find some traditional choices from the menu - like a risotto or a caprese - not only fine-dining-wannabe pastas. Now I got a feeling that they tried to add some special twist to every food and if you asked something regular the head waitress just gave a shrug. If you have parma ham and honeydew at a breakfast it can´t be that hard to provide them during the dinner. Other waiters were excellent.

Beautiful place, exclusive but comfortable atmosphere. Splendid resort to take a break or a good base for exploring the Tuscany because of the location. Very nice guests and very friendly staff. Perfect breakfast.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

The property needs some refurbishment to freshen it up, improve air-conditioning, and get rid of a faintly musty smell

Beautiful setting, excellent location, wonderful restaurant and pool, very helpful staff, and a haven of peace, beauty and quiet

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

The room we stayed in was brand new and the paint fumes were hard to deal with. There was a large party (15) staying at the same time we were there that were obnoxiously loud. A server apologized for the noise level which was appreciated. No fault of the hotel, however, it made our experience not great. Parents need to control their kids and also respect other guests by keeping conversation at a normal level.

The property and location were amazing. In the country side nestled at the foot of a canyon just outside Cortona. The pool area, gardens and outdoor restaurant were all well kept.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

My only complaint was not with the hotel but with a large family party who checked in two days after I did. The parents and children were so amazingly loud and took over the hotel as though it belonged only to them. Since I assumed this was more of an adult-theme hotel geared toward serenity and nice dining, I was unprepared for this onslaught and so were other guests, two of whom I know left early because of this situation. My suggestion is, if you book into this hotel, you should also check with the staff upon booking to see if there are any large family parties or events taking place at the same time of your stay. I don't know if that is possible, but it can't hurt to ask! Other than this situation, the hotel was very nice.

Villa di Piazzano is a lovely hotel in a group of stately buildings with very nice grounds. When you arrive, you feel like this will be the Italian dream you hope for in a vacation. There is a large and beautiful pool area with the quintessential cypress trees decorating the landscape like exclamation points, a large and charming terrace shaded by trees for drinks or reflection time, and a well-planned and lovely terrace area for the restaurant that has good views over the land and from which you can see fantastic sunsets. The staff are really great and could not be more pleasant, professional or helpful. I stayed for several days on my own and it was a perfect location for me to take my rental car and do several day trips to places like Assisi, Arezzo, Montalcino, Montepulciano, etc. Cortona is about ten minutes away and an easy drive for dinner or shopping.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Classic Double Room

If I have to mention one thing that could be improved, it's the wifi connection around the pool. That could have been better. But it didn't really bother me.

I truly enjoyed this hotel. Beautiful palazzo with a lovely terrace and garden. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were very nice and dinner on the terrace was a great experience, every night.

All was perfect! Thanks!

• Classic Double Room

Stunning hotel in beautifull setting - excellent service from all staff from start to finish - restaurant food amazing

• Deluxe Double Room

Its expensive but worth it.

Amazing Gardens, beautiful house, Big swimming pool, and very helpful and friendly staff. And good food... Paradize !

Wifi not always sufficient

Extraordinary staff and service, wonderful location, beautiful villa

• Classic Double Room

Everything was Uber our expectations really nice place charming villa

• Classic Double Room

The location is lovely, but a bit remote and removed. Shower-bath is never great, I wish all hotels banned them

Beautiful villa, very well kept.

• Classic Double Room

Loved everything! Great staff in beautiful setting.

• Classic Double Room

A peaceful sanctuary with excellent food, wonderful staff and a gorgeous pool area. We couldn't fault it!

• Classic Double Room

It was a wonderful stay with friendly staff and gorgeous grounds. I plan to return to this lovely hotel.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

This property exceeded all our expectations!

All good e

Pease an quite nothing a more private pool

we loved it all.

We loved everything, wonderful hotel.

• Classic Double Room

Service and staff are excellent.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Junior Suite with Garden View

excellent get away location

Leaving

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

An absolutely charming villa with great food, wonderful scenery and grounds.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

Location to other towns perfect if you have a car, very relaxing, views amazing, breakfast has a good variety.

• Classic Double Room

Perfect setting. Nice staff and everything in general

We love everything

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

room nr 207 was with only one small window - so the room was a bit dark

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Service and premises

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

I couldn't stay longer!

Everything was exceptional! Property, staff, food! Accommodations comfortable and beautiful!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Suite - Annex

Beautiful location...centrally located. We had a WONDERFUL HUGE suite. The beds were very comfortable as well.

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

Very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Good food and very helpful and friendly staff and a lovely villa.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Excellent service provided by staff. Great countryside location with easy access to tour Umbria and Tuscany, and take trips into Florence, etc.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Excellent staff, breakfast, facilities and location

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room

Very good food, attentive and polite staff.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

superb

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

Everything.

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

Having to leave

An idyllic location such attentive staff and unsurpassable standard of cleanliness in the bedroom. A fabulous pool. What a treat!

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

Lovely staff and beautiful rooms looking over the most stunning countryside.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2016

We liked everything about the hotel:the surrounding lanscape was unbelievable,the hotel and the gardens where gorgeous,the lobby and dinning rooms where very beautiful,our room ,bathroom and the view from the room were also beautiful.And the service was impecable.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2016

This is the first time I haven't had a single complaint about a place I've stayed at in Europe.

The staff was truly excellent. Most places won't bother themselves by assisting you in whatever you need, but this place did 100% of the time. We travelled with a small baby and a dog and every one was very accomodating. The views of the Tuscan landscapes were out of this world (see picture below from my room window). The rooms are bigger than usual and have all the comforts one could hope for. This was truly an amazing experience!

• Reviewed: 6 November 2015

Not a con, per se, but one piece of advice: try to arrive before sundown. We got completely turned around in the dark! Also, don't rely on Google maps to get you there--use a gps instead or, better yet, map out directions beforehand!

Everything about this place is exquisite. The rooms, the grounds, the staff, the food. We would recommend this place without hesitation! Also, it was our honeymoon, and the staff left a bottle of prosecco in our room the first night. How lovely!

There are also 25 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Villa di Piazzano Residenza d'Epoca traveller photo gallery