Reviews of Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa

Ocho Rios, 00000 Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#19 of 21 hotels in Ocho Rios

6.1

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Amazing location, staff, food.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Amazing location, staff, food. And for the price it’s just too good to be true. The pics on the net isn’t even as close to the beauty of what you see when you visit in person. I’m definitely going back and taking my whole family.

disappointing,mediocre
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Wrong room, no water in shower (stooping didnt make it any easier) small pillows (square almost). Walking to the room felt like i was walking a marathon and please dont mention the gym with its broken rusted and outdated equipment. Of course on the plus side it was fully AC :). Aesthetics poor, especially with dark corridors and drooping ceiling tiles. Anyway its never what you serve but how you serve. enough said

access to beach.. view from room (one can never have enough of a ocean front, which is the main feature of this particular property. The food was okay, staff (servers) were anxious to make the experience pleasant. If only they alone could carry the load.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

My short stay was not good

The beach is ok

The hotel is old and needs a lot of repairs the Phone system is not working properly the Elevators not working and lot more.For me I would not recommend no one am sorry The only good thing the staffs are warm

I have been to this hotel before, so I'm actually saying it's getting worst, I personally wouldn't

This hotel has lots of potential but the outside need a makeover. Some of the staff and utensils seems old and out dated. Our room was so far with lots of Bush and poor lighting.

I like the beach.

Very enjoyable stay. Recommended
    • Superior Room Beachfront

No fridge or kettle/coffee maker in the room, had to pay $5.00 a day for fridge, both should be standard in todays hotel. All drawers stiff to open. Patio door stiff to open, quickly repaired, water leak in bathroom, not fixed despite 3 requests. Cats in dinning area.

All staff very friendly and helpful, room right on the beach, main building built in Georgian style, very relaxing. Nice indoor restaurant but always dined alfresco, good selection of typical Jamaican dishes served buffet style, Willy the barman a great guy.

It was very relaxing and enjoyable.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

I didn't have any hot water.

The liver was very delicious. The muffins were really good as opposed to other all inclusive places where their pastries are not normally scrumptious. I loved my room it was very spacious and the king size bed was very comfortable. Looking forward to my next stay.

Love the comfort and surrounding. I shall return
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The bathroom needed to have air air fresheners and the bathroom more amenities. The property needs a lil more TLC, overall great. The bar need more option for all inclusive, limited drink option.

comfort

Don’t stay here during low season unless you want peace & quiet and very limited all-inclusive
    • Superior Room Beachfront

We never had that all-inclusive experience which we are use to as the hotel was empty so many of the facilities were limited or not available. Therefore we only had a limited buffet 1 day, the rest of the time we were given a limited choice from a set menu, we had entertainment only on 1 evening and no entertainment during the day at all. I understand that the hotel was quiet and it would have been a waste putting on a full all-inclusive set up for a handful of people but this should have been conveyed at booking and reflected in the price so that we knew what we were to expect.

The Staff were friendly and very willing to try to solve issues. The upstairs lounge area is well designed and has lovely views of the sea and plenty seating areas for getting together. The bedrooms are bright and airy with plenty spaces to unpack your things into.

Great stay
    • Superior Room Beachfront

I initially booked a room with twin beds. They were really small beds. I asked for a change of room. I wished the Wi-Fi extended to the room, but the signal in the lobby area was excellent.

The staff was very responsive to my request for a change of room. The room had a king size bed. This room was great. The staff was very helpful. Got to go kayaking. Swimming area at beach is superb! Food was Jamaican fare.

It should not have advertised All Exclusive because it wasn't. It was too expensive for what we got
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Did not have enough choices of food and drinks. Very shocked with the snack corn beef sandwiches and sardines and chocolate cookies. Really is that all Exclusive.

We liked the beach

I dont like anything about this place, I feel cheated and...
    • Deluxe Room Beachfront

This was my worst experience of an all inclusive hotel. the food was poor, the bar was poor, the entertainment board was written up but it was a scam. I am truly recommending that this hotel be immediately removed from the market and start an extensive repair work. please do not spoil a next person holiday.

I dont like anything about this place, I feel cheated and scammed.

Bed was extra comfy
    • Deluxe Room Beachfront

The first room the bed wasn’t made..didn’t like the smell of the place ..bathroom light was out and the tv was just there as style .. no signal

Bed was extra comfy

Nothing every disappointed 😞
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Everything about this is disgusting,I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone,the food was disgusting and tasteless would not even give it to my dog 🐕 to eat. This is NOT an all inclusive hotel, they give you a menu with 5 choices of taseless food and dirty dishes. EXTREMELY,EXTREMELY,disappointed ,we left after one day didn't even checked in after we saw the place. The worst hotel a I have EVER been too. DID I SAY THE FOOD WAS EXTREMELY DISGUSTING,DISGUSTING,BEYOND DISGUSTING. MY DOG ATE BETTER THAN THAT......I WANTED TO VOMIT AFTER THEY PRESENTED ME WITH WHAT THEY CALL "CHICKEN NUGGETS" 😱😱😱😰👹AND OMG THE CUTLERY WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO DIRTY😱😱😱😱😱😱😱👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎,PLEASE EVERYONE DON'T WASTE YOUR 💰 💰 💰 💰 I give this place a big 0

Nothing every disappointed 😞

Would never go back...old and lacked good food.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The food was horrible...lacked variety. This hotel is a waste of money. Its not like other all inclusive. Snack time is a joke...we were served sardine sandwiches. Food had me vomiting and feeling sick. It's a hotel on a budget and they only serve fish and chicken. Didn't have a proper meal my entire stay. Had to go to kaz kerol to have a sensible and tasty dinner....My advice is to stay at kaz kerol instead. Shaw Park is a waste of money.

The view

I would not stay here for a vacation.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The bar only has well quality liquor. The furniture in the rooms is very dated (20 years?) The mosquitoes are everywhere, to the point that I could not wear shorts and sandals without getting eaten alive.

The pool is ok. The service staff is nice. The food is good but all Jamaican style.

Great location & friednly staff - but disappointing food and poor value for money.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The food was modest at best, and choices very limited. This hotel needs complete renovation - it is old, tired and dowdy. Even safety is poor - buffet food not kept heated, slippery surfaces - and a long-broken safety rope across the swimming area in the sea.

Location is amazing. View from room and from outdoor dining area. Large comfortable bed and efficient A/C.

A very pleasent stay at a good price.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Could have has more options for drinks and more entertainment, maybe some kayaks or wind surf boards, things to do. Also could use a good pressur wash and paint job

Very friendly and courteous staff, meals were very good, room was clean and fresh.nice private beach was clean.

The staff was friendly and nice .
    • Superior Room Beachfront

There wasn't much choice in desert pudding at dinner being a diabetic i would have preferred more choice.

The staff were good and it was nice of the manager to check that we are okay.

Outstanding Staff
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Faded Splendor which describes the hotel. Investment is needed to bring it back to its formar glory. The staff are really trying their best under difficult circumstances, i.e the condition of the property.

The staff were outstanding and very helpful couldn’t ask for more.The operation manager Oliver went the extra mile to show his respect to all customers.

The staff and location on water.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Very damp and musty. Not as advertised with one better restaurant. Needs a lot of work such as redo of carpets, sliding doors, bar chairs are very uncomfortable

The staff and location on water.

Money not well spent
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Bathroom was Small. Could hardly turn. Shower was so high my baby got her hair wet each time. Limited activities. Night life not coordinated

The staff was really great. Service is very good. Food was good.

Disgusting and traumatizing
    • Superior Room Beachfront

This hotel was appalling and has resulted in having to file a police report due to physical abuse by the hands of one of the members of staff. Many things in the room didn't work such as lights and the television and little effort was made to rectify the issues. The food options were very limited and 99% of the time very cold. This was not all inclusive, more, take what you get. Would NOT recommend to anyone, ever.

The cleaning team were swift and were trustworthy in the rooms.

The staffs in the bar and restaurant mostly
    • Superior Room Beachfront

It's an alinclusive hotel, but I am being told to pay for room service in terms of me ordering food to my room. That's ridiculous

The staffs in the bar and restaurant mostly

Twas an ok day. Loved the location of the property
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The pictures lied because the place did not look like the pictures I saw on the site. Therefore, much upgrade of the property is needed.

The staff were warm and welcoming and the food was great.

Overal assessment is was a great stay
    • Superior Room Beachfront

More variety in the meal menu but the food was very good thou won't take that away from them.. The bathroom piping system is a mess because it was leaking, The A/C was not working through the night I was so hot.

Just the overall aumbience at the hotel I felt at home,the staff was super nice n friendly..I would definitely go back

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

the stay was peaceful and got some rest.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

They were no activists for entertainment but maybe because it was slow... They were no variety liquor (rum cream)... blended juice needed some training on by this older lady she was only one on my last day made me some pinicolda and it smooth and nice... the televison need more channels and radio that play music need more variety... I don't know if it was because period slow... it was too dead...

The food was nice wanted more variety though... the staff was fairly nice especially Mr Oliver this young waitress can't remember name..

I'm upset because the hotel recepcionist swipe two(2)...
    • Superior Room Beachfront

I'm upset because the hotel recepcionist swipe two(2) time my card and i pay 2 times the price in total 93600 x 2 =187200 and i'm still waiting for refund.

my stay was great only too short got a lot of well needed rest overall I enjoyed my stay .
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The cats in the dining area.

The food and drinks the room was quite nice and I also enjoyed taking photo the pool was good did not get to swim because of the short time that catch up on me.

Location great, best beach
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Don’t expect a four star all inclusive. The hotel rooms need some refreshing. Could use bathroom Reno. Useable though. Mildred on grouting etc. Not intolerable. A new place on that beach would cost three times as much though. Activities are offsite. Eg dunns river dolphin cove etc. Fifteen minute drive to those activated. Tours available.

First the beach is unbeatable in Jamaica. Best other than Negril but very private. Ten steps from our room to the warm Caribbean. Food selection ok the taste very good. Inclusive tend to be selection great taste not so good. Staff very friendly. Water wasn’t running fixed in less than an hour. Staff Just turned on water to the room. Lots of hot water and water pressure excellent. Cleanliness excellent. Landscaping excellent. Lots of red gingers. Very quiet and peaceful.

I was totally disappointed with my stay, I felt like I had thrown away my money.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The food was terrible, the place was boaring, I would not recommend it for family with children, there is no form of entertainment for children. No food that children enjoy, and that which was provided was not enjoyable.

I did not like it there

Overall the stay was ok. Hated the fact that they didn't have any hot water or wifi. False ad
    • Superior Room Beachfront

There was no hot water at the hotel, there was no iron. When I called and requested an iron the lady told me that they were all out. I was only there for one night and they brought the iron in the morning. I think a hotel should be equipped with these things. Especially for the rate they charge.

The staff was friendly and the room was kept pretty clean.

Sad
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Bugs was in the room when i just got there take off the sheet from the bed and bugs under the sheets dont like the bar cause it have nothing much there to offer

Quite

Great family resort
    • Two-Bedroom Beachfront Suite

My stay was too short.

The beachfront 2 bedroom suite was truly amazing plus we had a ground floor room as my 91 yr old mother in law was with us. Disability access was great, use of a wheel chair & ramps. The staff makes the stay great. Smiley the bartender, very courteous The dining room staff very accommodating. There's almost nothing like having a meal & hearing & seeing the ocean. Sunset while eating. Wow.

The hotel was abysmal but the staff did all they could to make our stay enjoyabl
    • Superior Room Beachfront

I booked this hotel on the assumption that a free cruise was included in the hotel cost price, however, wen we arrived at the hotel this was not provided despite providing the proof from your website page. as a result of this I believe that I was mislead into booking this hotel. The carpets in the hall ways of the hotel smelt rank, we were told that they had been cleaned days before. However, for the duration of our stay there was no improvement in the smell emitted by the carpets. When we were first taken to our room there was no hot water in the shower and cockroaches running about in the shower tray. The wooden floor on the balcony appeared to be rotting and gave the impression your foot could go right through it. After complaining about the condition of our room we were moved to another part of the hotel. The impression gained was that management was deliberately running the hotel down and did not give a dam about customer satisfaction. A number of the hotel staff also indicated that they would be leaving at the earliest opportunity since management were not prepared to take their views about the condition of the hotel into consideration. The condition of this hotel I did not expect and was disappointed that I had booked it

Most of the gym equipment were broken, dangerous, the rest was poorly maintained, the gym was dirty and musky. From first appearance it was clear that this was an area of the hotel which management had totally ignored.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Time for a SPBH makeover!

No entertainment. Dinner often times not good.

Most staff quite friendly and willing to assist. Breakfast was good most mornings. My suite was good for family but fittings falling apart

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

1st Anniversary well spent at Shaw park and Beach 2016
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Coffee was not strong enough,need drink at the bar,more channels on the TV,entertainment in the night

Love the view,the room very comfy ,the staff was pleasant food was great, breakfast excellent, the beach front was great, wish I had a longer stay

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Hotel needs investment to compete with other hotels.

Nothing e

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

My stay was good..! The food was excellent! The staff was

The entertainment

The Breakfast was GREAT!!

My Shaw Park experience

The bar

The ambiance

Great Facility
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The employees were very professional and the service was great.

It was quite.

The bed was very comfortable

The bed was very comfortable

Excellent apart from the WiFi

No WiFi in rooms

Quiet and peaceful

The Shaw Park Hotel Rip Off
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The property needs to be refurbished. It's outdated

It's location only

Satisfactory experience!

Too secluded

The staff was friendly

The view was amazing and the whole place kept so clean

The view was amazing and the whole place kept so clean

It was ok but not worth the price
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The stray cats wandering around and the lack of activities.

The food was good as was the view.

Very poor

Hotel like a graveyard

Got food poisioning.

I had a good time, the view was amazing, the place was romantic and the guests were all friendly
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The bar didn't have many different drink mixes

The food was all great. The staff was friendly and helpful, The rooms were comfortable

Nice place to stay. Peaceful with great customer service.
    • Deluxe Room Beachfront

Wifi service needs to be more accessible. Was not accessible in room.

Meals and service were great.

The closeness to the beach

The closeness to the beach

The out side of the property need to be up grade painting and bush especially around the pool area
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The variety of food could better

Shower was a bit small,no entertainment as advertised on the notice board

LACK of variety where food is concern

LACK of variety where food is concern

Was ok
    • Superior Room Beachfront

Not many telly channels working

Good was okay

My Stay was wonderful. I will return

More Entertainment

Breakfast. Great Chef

Place needs a facelift

Staff

I wish I didn't stay there.
    • Deluxe Room Beachfront

The food is bad, this hotel is run down and need alot of work on.

The only thing is that it had beach.

It was quiet and peaceful. Not crowded it lend itself to getting some quality rest.
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The food and bar was limited.

The tranquility of the property.

fantastic

bar open later

the staff and the location

The food was great staff courteous not friendly
    • Superior Room Beachfront

No fun activity at the hotel

The food was great staff courteous not friendly

did not like it
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The Food lack Flavor, there was not much choices of dishes for all meals.

6.0
    Very excellent

Grate staff 👍 The food was good 💯%

Will never stay or recommend this place. Will have second thoughts on using Booking.com again

See above

Nothing to like ,poor service,resort very old needs to be modifications. NO HOT WATER ,Just a lot of false smiles.

• Deluxe Room Beachfront

The whole experience was horrible!

My stay at the Shaw park hotel was ok nothing I would do aging, then I wasn't inform about the water

No internet in the room no water for 2 days not good at all

The Shaw park hotel was very clean👍

4.5
    The bed was comfortable
    • Superior Room Beachfront

The bathroom was very small

The bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Need peace and quiet Shaw Park Beach and Spa is the place

Limited WIFI, and the GYM eqpt did not work

It was a secerine and quit

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

i will never go back to that hotel , not even for day even if its free
    • Superior Room Beachfront

i never like nothing about that hotel, the food is not good at all

• Reviewed: 4 April 2016

Food was very good, staff friendly & helpful.

Room was very outdated, hotel really needs updating, we had cockroaches in our room & nothing was done about it. Our phone didn't work in our room.

Food was very good, staff friendly & helpful.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2016

I arrived to hotel my reservation was cancel eventhought I...

Change all the management insight liar liar pants on fire!!!!!! They made no effort in giving me my money back since what I paid for was giving away.....and I was consolilated in a regular room

I arrived to hotel my reservation was cancel eventhought I contacted booking.com on Friday of oversold flight that I was arriving Saturday instead I was assured that will contact hotel to advise. I paid for a front beach suite and I was giving a regular standard room in the 100 floor level hallway was dark old and beach front was full of debris and long iron antennas. The room was very old looking. I was change 6th times due to backup drainage either bathtub or toilet, doors lock in some rooms not working.etc. I didn't feel safe alone with my kids. I was change to the third level rooms and area more update. However I was told that no beach front available but window scene yet throught outt all these I was not hearing anything about refunding me the difference etc. I did requested a meeting with the manager who after taking notes of all my complained requested that I needed to contact booking.com. What a joke a waste of my saliva...all by the way I had two more days before I was leaving when he mention that he would tried to get me a better room. Guest what never happened. He avoided me. The food was ok nothing to brag about. Also elevator was out the whole time I stayed there. Forget going to the gym none of the machines worked but few. I do have to say the male staff was more friendlier than the females don't know why. Now I am home with a dispute for my money because when I contacted the manager in charge of the property she said will keep me in contact its passed two weeks not heard from her either email or phone....finally went to my credit card company to put a dispute with this con artist take your money and run hotel....when I came back to the stated and told all my friends funny they knew about this hotel and the first thing I was told didn't you read the review....I Take fault on that the picture was very deceiving..my visit was from February 13 till 18...people read reviews it ready make a different!!!!

• Reviewed: 12 March 2016

The ginger cookies:) flaky pastry was:) privacy n quiet was...

There was no hot water Choices of food was to be desired

The ginger cookies:) flaky pastry was:) privacy n quiet was to die for..the a/c tun up, nice...I went there to rest ...purpose was fulfilled.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

We enjoyed our stayed there, we never get to have the fun we...

We love the meals prepared the cordial atmosphere of the staff,the ergonomics of the environment and the responsiveness of your workers. The Gym was great ,the pool also,so with the exception of the above mention things it was good being at shaw park beach and spa over all .

We enjoyed our stayed there, we never get to have the fun we wanted,because there wasn't any sunshine,so we never get a taste of the beach.in the room the socket outlets are inconveniently located and few.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

tge food was ok, but although all inclusive, you had to wait...

tge food was ok, but although all inclusive, you had to wait for meal times which were 730am, 1230pm and 700pm and they were always late. Staff tries to make your stay enjoyable but many complaints from clients and nothing is done to appease them. Wifi only works by the bar and in lobby sometimes.

tge food was ok, but although all inclusive, you had to wait for meal times which were 730am, 1230pm and 700pm and they were always late. There wasn't food available in between those times unless fruit or snacks. Bar ran out of coconut rum on first day and never saw it again for entire trip. We're warned that staff may steal from you, so hide everything. Toilet broke down three times, TV didn't work for half the trip.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2016

Everything apart from staff

• Reviewed: 27 December 2015

The food was excellent

The room could have had tea and coffee facilities

The food was excellent

• Reviewed: 23 December 2015

Bathroom is dated property need upkeep.

Front desk attendant, dining room crew, entertainment crew, and chef excellent

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.