Reviews of Toby's Resort 3 stars

1 Kent Avenue, PO Box 467, Montego Bay, Jamaica

#17 of 36 hotels in Montego Bay

• Standard Room

Wanted to charge 20 dollars for airport shuttle. Less than 2 km . I walked instead . 12 minutes

Only stayed overnight for a few hours so didn't get a real sense of the place . Room was clean and comfortable . Bathroom a little tired looking . Grounds in need of a little tlc

• Standard Room

Door to bathroom stuck & had a slight issue with my booking which was largely my fault because I was tired. Flying from Europe via Atlanta 🇺🇸

Staff, hotel in general was great. Second time staying there & we’re booked in for August also.

• Standard Room

there was no microwave in the room and one staff member that checked us in had a very NASTY attitude towards us even though we had just stayed there 6 weeks earlier and brought more people with us which paid for there own rooms for 6 to 8 days and still she was VERY UNPROFESSIONAL like she either hates us or her job EVERYONE else was GREAT and went out there way to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

• Deluxe Room

The bed sheets had this awful smell as if it was someone's perfume on it and they had not changed it. Unfortunately i check in late and was too tired to report it. The floor felt very greasy and the soap in the bathroom smelt like the one used in olden days to wash clothes. If you cant give good toilet accessories better not to give any at all! There is no safe in the room and you have to pay a dollar to keep your valuables. The problem is not a dollar but there are timings to adhere to! its ridiculous. Might as well charge the dollar in room rent and let the customer keep his things for free or better still have a safe installed in every room!! somehow felt this place was not worth the money i spent.

The location of the property is nice. The staff is very friendly.

• Standard Room

price does not include breakfast; frigobar.

Close to: Airport, Doctor's Cave beach, Shops, Public beach. If you like to walk, you can do it to the center of the city (30 minutes).

• Standard Room

I don’t like when I get bill for food they put there tip on Then charge me in us money Example breakfast is 7.20 They put 10.40 as tip Then charge me 10.40 us for breakfast My own fault should of caught that

People are friendly

• Standard Room

Toby Resort is fabulous, close to shopping, good food. Great little beach around the corner, Dr's Cave Beach, Margaritaville, can even walk into town, great location!!

• Standard Room

The property could use a little updating & the beds were a little too firm but I’m used to my temperpedic.

Great property with a retro feel. The property is a few blocks away from the beach but Michael would escort my cousin Kristi & I to the Sand Bar restaurant which was right on the beach at Doctors Cave. We would just tell him what time we wanted to leave which was usually sunset & he would come escort us back allowing us to stop & shop along the way. Then when we got back he’d mix us up some rum punch. Great atmosphere & very relaxing for this retro hotel that’s been in the same family for decades.

• Standard Room

At the check-in I signed the paperwork for the room and rate, and after the clerk had to check and verify the rate. I was then charged a rate $13 USD higher than what I had signed. To be fair, the higher rate was what I had agreed to on Booking. Just left a bad taste... Offered a lower rate, then rescinded after the paperwork is signed.

The location is great for us, and even though it is right next to a main road through MoBay, the room and everything was quiet enough to sleep comfortably. Air conditioning was powerful, and I needed to turn up the temperature.

• Standard Room

the cleanliness of room were poor,the bed wasn't properly make up,the drinking glass that should h ave been taken to kitchen and wash was wash in the bathroom and turn down on the face basin, th

• Deluxe Room

Poorly trained restaurant hosts and staff. Poorly ran restaurant.Unfriendly, failure to greet properly

Front desk friendly, maids good, proximity to beach, clean property

• Standard Room

The bathroom needed cleaning as the tub had ring. The internet was really crappy. And the towels very rough.

The location was great and close to a lot of things. The bed was comfortable.

• Standard Room

The hotel needs renovation, but this is not the main issue. The room was very dirty. It is likely that bedsheets were not even changed as I found a rubber band and a couple of coins under the blanket. The toilet flush was broken. On top of this when I was leaving and checked the drawers, I found a pack of WEED in it. It just proves that the cleaning is at a very poor level. Overall do not recommend to anyone. Terrible place.

• Standard Room

The furniture was very old. One of the bedside lamps turned on and off intermittently because it rocked on the lamp stand. It was really rather dangerous. There was a old, used ash-tray on the table on the balcony. The tv barely worked at all. The security guard ordered me to park in a different spot after I had alighted from my car. Apart from the front desk staff and those who assisted with my bags, the staff were untrained and ill-mannered.

The reception desk staff were friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

You could quote accurate prices and the resort could have been a bit more reasonable with a repeat customer.

Booking.com quoted me UK£ 63.00 and the resort were invoiced USD90 plus charged me an additional USD20, coming to US$ 110. UK£63 is about US$ 80. I am very disappointed and will not use booking.com again. I already had a poor experience with you in Kingston last year at Kingsworthy Guesthouse.

• Standard Room

Given the temperature in Jamaica I would like to have seen a fridge in the room to keep drinks cool

Nice large room with balcony and air conditioning, comfortable beds and rooms serviced each day

• Standard Room

Bedroom was outdated. Although breakfast was lovely, we had to wait awhile for breakfast which could pose a problem if you were in a rush

Breakfast was lovely, good location, close to airport and public beach and reasonable size swimming pool

Better Bed

The Pool was nice, bartender at pool bar was excellent - he went above and beyond, it was appreciated. The front desk staff was very accommodating and security was good. Grounds were well maintained. We would stay again..

• Standard Room

Loud music by pool all the time, I prefer quieter to relax, read, etc....

Walking distance to hip strip Walking distance to beach Not all inclusive which is great for someone like myself who doesn’t drink much, only pay for what I’m using

• Deluxe Room

Restaurant lacking ambience, bar area also a bit boring.

Nice Clean and comfortable room, easy access from pool, Pool and grounds well maintained, close to the airport, with shops and restaurants a short walk away.

• Standard Room

Can't check out early without paying 1 day penalty. Taxis in general are more expensive than expected (not hotel's fault). ATM close to hotel was out of service for 2 days (not hotel's fault). It rained too much (not hotel's fault). Public beach was small. Too many solicitations for drugs and souvenirs.

Food was good at the hotel restaurant - coffee refills included. Asked for Queen bed but got a King (firm) which was nice. Hotel staff changed sheets on demand. Cleaned room well. Staff quickly addressed any maintenance issues. Property was well maintained inside and out. Drinks were great and reasonably priced at the hotel bar. Hotel was walking distance to Margaritaville Bar and to beach. Hotel pool was nice.

• Standard Room

I wasn’t expecting to occasionally hear planes taking off from the airport but it wasn’t a real problem. Hallways can be a little loud but I go to bed early and am a light sleeper so earplugs did the trick.

Engaged staff who were super helpful. Restaurant staff very good. Had breakfast and supper daily in restaurant- prices very reasonable. It was a great stay!

• Standard Room

Could use a little touch-up in the facilities and around the pool area.

Very close to both Airport & Downtown. Friendly, helpful staff. Excellent showers.

• Standard Room

strange smell in room, shower was very difficult to operate and noise from water flowing on grass from gutter or pipe due to rainfall.

Very convenient location on a major taxi route. Can easily catch the cheaper local red plate taxis to and from airport and resort is walking distance to the Hip Strip and Doctors Cave beach. Willomgly gave us extra towels to take to the beach. Friendly staff. One dollar a day use of safe deposit boxes. Fairly quiet when not raining.

• Standard Room

There's not much not to like about this property. I found the rooms to be clean, and the beds comfortable. When I'm on vacation, I don't watch television, but this place does have cable television in every room for those who like it. The Locking System on the doors is rather dated, but the place is secured, and I've never had a problem there.

Near airport, at the far end of The Hip Strip. It's easy to get to, and well laid out. The swimming pools are clean and nice, and there is a bar right next to the main swimming pool.

• Standard Room

Lots of ants in the room. Leaving any food out would attract ants. Very few outlets available for plugging things in. Had to choose between charging phone/laptop, using TV, or plugging in fridge. Had to use fridge to keep ants away.

They gave us an upgrade from a standard to a deluxe room. There are 2 pools, a bar, and a restaurant, from which they offered a complimentary drink, that we didn't take advantage of. Good location that's walking distance from the hip strip and, if you walk a lot, the downtown area. Easy to get taxis from there to take you to the airport or the city for under USD$5. Good value for the price.

• Standard Room

The squeaky fan in the courtyard that made noise all night. They do not offer complimentary coffee. It is expensive for what you actually get.

The staff were helpful. This is close by to the 'hip strip' and also to the public beach. I liked the pool- the chairs were very comfortable. I also liked the twin beds in the room. The shower was adequate. I felt safe here.

• Standard Room

Some staff, particularly in the restaurant were poorly trained and impolite and unwilling to be of service. Breakfast was quite overpriced considering the quality and quantity in my opinion. The lunch/dinner quality/quantity was ok.

Some of the staff were very polite and the location was walking distance to the atm, supermarket and lovely beaches (Doctors cove)

• Standard Room

Airport shuttle didn’t arrive and I was alone. I was not compensated even though I brought this to the attention of the resort.

Reception desk very friendly and helpful.

• Deluxe Room

Front desk could be alot more welcoming, didn't even get a smile and she asked a question I didn't understand and she got irritated, and the room was cleaned ok but not spotless and looked very old and run down with pealing paint and dirty windows

Bed was great, food was fine

• Standard Room

The noisy fumigating of mosquitoes which [although necessary] was very loud along the corridors and in the gardens.

Spacious air conditioned room,comfortable bed and free Wi-Fi.Friendly staff.Close proximity to MB Airport.

• Standard Room

That they will charge you $15USD to get to the airport, when it’s only a 3min car ride. That’s ridiculous. When you can pon the street and get a taxi for less than 500jmd.

The closeness to the airport and the beach. I love just walking to Doctor Cave.

• Standard Room

The staff is not welcoming. The front desk representatives made us feel like we were a bother. They are not friendly, at all, except for a guy that the front desk called security. He was great! The cashier inside the restaurant was nice. but out interaction with her was minimal. Our food was sub par. I actually looked forward to it because I heard the restaurant food was good (not so much). Our room was filled with ants. However, we did call the front desk and a guy came and sprayed the room when we left for dinner. Tobys does look like they are trying to spruce the place up (painting the walkways and new chairs for the restaurant). I hope they do because it has the ability to be a chic boutique spot.

The value for just the stop over until we checked into the resort was okay.

• Standard Room

We had an issue with our door lock and had to wait 2 1/2 hours to get in to our room. We were compensated with a couple of drinks (drinks and food are expensive here) and breakfast the next day. There should be a better system when something like this happens.

Cute little resort ,good for a couple of days transition if you are hopping around the island. On a busy street so noisy at times. If you like to walk it is in walking distance to downtown Montego Bay. Lots of shops and restaurants if you like to explore.

• Standard Room

I didn't like that their was no microwaves in the room, you've to go to the restaurant to get one to used...

The beds were so comfortable and staffs was great..

• Standard Room

I would like to see them expand the bar and dining area to take advantage of outside pool area by the dining room. Maybe a vending machine to get water or soda after bar closes.

Room and bathroom were very clean and comfortable with my own patio. Didn't need to bring my pillow from home as bed was comfy. Staff was very pleasant, accommodating, and security was 24 hours a day. Lovely grounds, food was well prepared, fresh and tasty. Local favorites also.

• Standard Room

great location to and from airport, short walk to Doctors Cave Beach. Food in restaurant was excellent, nice pool area. Very friendly staff & Paul the taxi man was great really looked after us he took us to Dunns River & Negril.

• Deluxe Room

Needs doing up. Painting and decorating. New sun beds and umbrellas. But it's 3 star. So not much to complain about.

The bed was amazing. Great location. Round the corner from the shops and Doctors Cave beach. Breakfast could be a little more adventurous . Bacon was rubbish . But the other meals are good.

• Standard Room

Unfortunately the room we stayed in lacked mosquito net and screens so we resorted to using insect repellent before sleeping which was fine for most of the night but early morning became a slight issue. I wouldn't say there was a huge mosquito problem but even a couple of bites can become a bit annoying.

The property was spacious, clean and well maintained. Double room was comfortable and clean with good selection of cable channels on the tv. The main pool and surrounding area with bar was all in good order with staff visible and available throughout. Staff were all very helpful and welcoming.

• Standard Room

Dirty used condom outside our door that no one cleaned up! Food at the restaurant was expensive and oxtail was not cooked well....

Close to everything

• Standard Room

The construction work that was going on by our room towards the back. They need to have ppl that are old enough to make drinks and how to make it correctly the young lady didn't know what she was doing n i paid for a alcohol drink that was all juice..food to expensive the dining room was close but had opened before i left went there and it was very nice had them warm up food i had from last night when i went out to eat they did but the lady of the kitchen had a problem with me eating there since i didn't order from them so just went back to my room and ate n never ordered again from the restaurant. The Wi-Fi was out due to the storm that came. But they was working very hard to get tht fixed we was allowed to seat in the front lobby to use the Wi-Fi.wish they had all inclusive would be even better..

I love they cleaned the room everyday new towels and wash rags everyday..the staff was very nice. Quiet close to every thing that you can walk to.the food was good

• Standard Room

Small rooms, small beds, I was told no charges until my checking in but I was charged days before, staff checking on me to get access to my room, not very hospitable crew

Conveniently located

• Standard Room

Beds are pretty good. There is a veranda attached to the rooms (some?). Staff is helpful. It's only a few blocks to the tourist strip if you wish to shop or eat somewhere else. Airport is very close. I go to Toby's when I have an early flight.

• Standard Room

never offered genius perk of complementary drink and when brought up previous time it was a time consuming issue and very weak drink so was necessary to purchase other, therefore didn't bother to mention cuz i wasn't interested in sugary juice...otherwise all is well there each and everytime...great pool area with nice bar/food. Be nice if they just gave you a drink voucher to use at pool bar for first drink of your choice that is one of their actual regular served drinks.

Perfect place to stay prior to early flight out next day at Mobay airport w/ taxi available at all times...walking distance to shopping, restaurants, nearby Margarittaville , Doctors Cave, Pelican bar and Peir 1 etc. rooms are clean and comfortable, nice pool area.

• Standard Room

Value for my money? No! TOTALLY different from what I viewed online. The appearance of the property and room(s) need improvement. I can only hope I didn't get the Zika virus after all those mosquitoes that slept with me in the room! I arrived nearly midnight and had to check out prior to the scheduled time the following morning.

The bathroom was clean.

• Standard Room

Close to airport, very friendly staff, so helpful. We couldn't get a flight out of Jamaica and had to extend our vacation by 2 additional nights, after sitting for each of those days inside of the airport. Toby's staff made an awful situation, survivable.

• Standard Room

There were quite a few ants on the floor but it didn't bother me that much

The staff were very helpful The rooms were clean I felt safe It was a basic room that was great for a stop over

• Standard Room

Mosquitos! ! But that's all over even in Florida where we live.

The Resort was ver clean and the grounds well manicured. Quiet and accessible to where we wanted to go. When we arrived, the security was very helpful and accommodating. The front desk staff and the dinning room staff friendly and informative. Overall it was a family friendly environment. I will be back I a couple of weeks. I forgot very private, safe and hassle free

• Standard Room

The rooms need renovation. They seem outdated and neglected. If they fix that, the hotel will be perfect!

Exceptional staff specially the reception girls, location, the pool/garden area, the small beach near the hotel.

• Standard Room

The bacon was made too crispy. Would prefer chlorine in the swimming pool rather than saltwater. Outdoor showers are needed by the pool area. They need air conditioning in the lobby area and a drinks fountain would be useful too.

The air conditioning was very good in the rooms. Wifi was strong at the pool area and the food was amazing! Like real home cooking.

• Standard Room

We only ate breakfast at the resort and we tried traditional Jamaican food. It wasn't very good. The American food looked better.

We felt very safe at Toby's and everyone was very nice.

-Breakfast is not included -10 minutes walk to the beach

-Close to the Airport -Very good breakfast -Staff (especially at the reception) was very friendly and helpful

• Standard Room

The accommodations were the worst I have ever experienced staying in a hotel. The doors to the room had broken/unsafe locks, Air from the aircondition vent was always warm.

The location is great!

• Deluxe Room

The decor was dated but in good condition . The overall physical conditions were dated but the bed was great , the place is clean , the staff very friendly .not

The food was good .

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Deluxe Room

The trash can in the room was full of trash, and there was bugs in the bathtub. The room was very hot...the air conditioner didn't work properly.

Proximity to the airport.

• Standard Room

Wifi connection was not good on some locations.

Friendly staff, comfortables rooms, central location - close to the airport and within walking distance to the Doctor Cove beach and hip strip, the restaurant serves excellent food.

• Standard Room

I found Toby's Resort to be clean and staff very friendly. Just a stone throw away from the Airport. Close to the hip strip and beach. Great stop off Resort if travelling out from Montego Bay airport.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Standard Room

Mealtime. Staff could be more helpful and smile. Housekeepers were pleasant and a few kitchen staffs.

Beacon overdone. I mentioned it each time but it got worse. Once i had to send it back. Got tummy upset food wasnt heated up properly. menu lack of choice and imagation. No spirit in kitchen staff. Need alternative menu with different food. pretty boring. Perhaps diner will then be save. Ice bucket good idea/still could do with drinking water tap. Coffee/tea machine.soft music in dinning area.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Deluxe Room

The gym is out of action Restaurant hours are too limited for travellers.

Big comfy bed and well appointed room Friendly and helpful staff Nice pool area

• Standard Room

Music was too loud at the pool. Almost like it was for the bar tender not for guests. Most of the people here are older, they don't want loud rap music blasting out all day. I would not have liked to be in a pool view room and listen to that constantly. This isn't a teen party atmosphere. Music should be very soft, background, relax music if any. And my room faced the street, more loud base music and traffic all night. Not too good to hear. Didn't have hot water in the shower in the evenings, only cold water.

Open grounds made it feel like a resort. All the staff were wonderful. Real quaint feeling, great beds, pillows and sheets. Wonderful bathroom and shower. Impeccably clean. Great TV channels for those rain storms in the afternoons.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

• Standard Room

The Wi-fi connection was a bit inconsistent (in the room on the garden side), but worked really well in common areas. The restaurant's prices are in keeping with the rest of MB, so a tad high (but delicious).

We liked it so much the first day, that we immediately re-booked it for the end of the trip. It is super convenient to get to and from MBJ airport, and we used the free parking. The salt water pools were clean, and Adrian at the bar as well as the ladies at reception (Eve welcomed us and accommodated us checking in early) made us feel very welcome. Staff promptly responded to any request; helped with restaurant reservations and taxi. The bed was really spacious, A/C worked great, and lots of channels on tv (if you decide to stay in). Minutes to walk to the 'hip strip' and dead end beach.

• Standard Room

We stayed only one night and couldn't point out any disadvantages. Great place ! Only Montego Bay is not the most interesting town to visit, so don't stay longer than 2 nights or you get really bored :)

We stayed only for one night @ Toby's, because our return flight was the next day. But as we planned to go to Jamaica, we were already discussing to go to Toby's or another one and we decided us for the other one - MISTAKE. Toby's resort is GREAT! We liked the staff, the rooms, the pools and the terrain of the resort. It is a great place to rest in Montego and forget the time around you. The pools are great, there is even one with a table in the water, so u can play cards or something else. If you go to Montego Bay, go to Toby's Resort!

• Standard Room

Over charging at property. A beer cost JMD 150 in the nearby shop and JMD 460 in the hotel.

Breakfast overpriced, taxi drivers overcharging.... we pad US$20 for a five minute drive!!! Extortionate. Everything seriously overpriced.

• Standard Room

Food was expensive and took HOURS to arrive. The restaurant staff were very lazy and completely uninterested in their customers. Location was bad- it was nice to be so close to the airport and within walking distance of doctors cove (a private beach which costs $6 to enter), but every time you leave the hotel you have to pass through a bad area. There are lots of drug dealers on the streets and locals hassling you to buy things. We didn't feel safe.

Reception staff were lovely and helped us lots to ring the airport about missing luggage. A sweet hotel with nice rooms and a nice clean pool area.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Deluxe Room

We got what we paid for. Definitely worth the price. It was a 1 night stay. But I will not stay here again because of the treatment of the dogs. Give them to a caring home. Dogs don't need that kind of stress.

Yes! The price was good. We are animal lovers and hearing the dogs bark without stop was heartbreaking for us right outside our bathroom window!!!!! I don't know why but I felt it was not for a good purpose. Because of the dogs I will not stay here again.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Standard Room

Very nice personnel that really made us feel welcome and cared for. The food was very good and the hotel is situated right across the street from doctors cave beach. If you want a vacation with all included and feel that you have everything within the hotel, this hotel will suit you. We booked a full day of activities from the company Chukka, that had an own little corner of the hotel lobby. It was great with only nice people.

Customers services

The Staff the are not friendly,Customer services is very poor, my room was leaking from the roof they gave me a different room which was not better from the one I had before. My toilet was not working properly.

• Standard Room

Mosquitoes ate me up!! Pool could have been cleaned from the dead bugs and debris.

Situated on the corner of the main strip. Close to beach and shopping.Quaint little hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Standard Room

The used condom beside the dresser. The enormous mass of flying ants on the balcony. The overall filthiness of the room. The crappy wifi.The low water pressure and luke warm "hot" water.

The close proximity to the airport

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

• Standard Room

Food took too long to prepare but would not trade the flavour for speed. Shower head needs to change. Bath soap does not lather. Towels need "fabric softener".

Three different pillows, able to choose to my comfort. The food was excellent, 10+ in flavour. Reasonable cost of food. Laid-back place. Staff were nice and pleasant. Lots of TV channels.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Standard Room

We liked the friendliness of the staff and the lovely grounds. Also liked having Paul available to drive us in his van to see one end of Montego Bay to the other.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Standard Room

As a local, I believe my partner and myself were treated brashly in one instance. I will take that up with management in the coming week.

Sorroundings and room were clean.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Standard Room

Close to a main road so traffic noise is constant. It's quiet enough to sleep at night as the rooms are air conditioned and closed up.

Really great staff and service. Staff members are uniformly warm, caring of their guests' comfort, and willing to do a little extra to ensure guests are happy. The restaurant serves nice food at a fair price. The rooms and linens are very clean. The entire place has a nice local vibe. No frills but overall a very nice place to stay.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Standard Room

Front desk/lobby area could be chaotic, WiFi in room sometimes got very slow for no obvious reason.

A good value for the money, clean, only a ten minute walk to Doctor's Cave Beach, safe (has a wall around it and a guarded entry point), quiet at night.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Standard Room

Dont expect rush in jamaican ways to do! They're relaxated so your room may be cleaned in more time than you expected

Near to the Airport(no noise) even to the bigger beaches(free or private), really friendly staff. A.C. in rooms