2. Japan hotel reviews
  3. Tokyo Prefecture hotel reviews
  4. Tokyo hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Shinjuku Granbell Hotel

Reviews of Shinjuku Granbell Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

160-0021 Tokyo Prefecture, Shinjuku-ku Kabukicho 2-14-5, Japan

#548 of 961 hotels in Tokyo

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: December 13, 2018

Free handphone with data.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel should change the write-up about distance from Shinjuku station. It is never a 15-min walk. It is really a distance. Need to take a taxi. On my check-out, i booked a taxi and paid 980 yen to Shinjuku station. Frontline female service staff should be more tactful and discreet when you need to make fun of my son's question! It is just so despicable! However, the male frontline staff serving us is very kind. He went the extra mile to bring out 4 towels for our family to let us dry ourselves from walking back in the rain. Kudos to him. Just too bad, i cant remember his name. Would the Manager be able to find out the name of the male frontline service staff who help us check-in around 8pm to 9pm on 11th Dec 2018 and check-out on 12th Dec at 6am plus. Singapore family of 4. Thanks. Do recognize and reward his effort. Make him the role model. He is most deserving. He is the role model for the hotel.

Free handphone with data. However, this is not stated in the property details

• Reviewed: December 12, 2018

Helpful staff, easy 5 day stay
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

It's a fair walk from the subway and using Google maps is a challenge as the narrow streets connect at odd angles and it's not hard to walk ahead of the apps directions-which sometimes made no sense. Yes, there are many "love hotels" in the area but so what-all that means is a sign giving the rates for a "rest" compared to "stay".

We stayed five nights in an economy double, meaning that there is a path to the bathroom and around two sides of the bed, which was fine. The bathroom was clean and compact, with a soaking tub and a great shower. The hotel was well-staffed both at the breakfast buffet and at the front desk. One night I counted six employees on duty. We had daily contacts with the staff and we're always assisted politely and efficiently in English. When we did request maid service the room was cleaned nicely. The buffet had plenty of choice, Asian and Western, (meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, salad, cereals, juices, breads, eggs and so on). The clientele ranged from young backpackers to Asian families to various business people. The area surrounding the hotel is full of life, day and night, narrow one-lane streets or alleys intersected with busy boulevards. Three elevators, very smooth and fast!

• Reviewed: December 12, 2018

OK
    • Economy Single Room - Non-Smoking

A bit of a hike from Shinjuku station. Closer to Higashi-Shunjuku station. Seedy part of town. Close to Kabukicho. Gets loud at night. Expensive - paying Shinjuku rates.

The breakfast and staff were excellent. English friendly.

• Reviewed: December 11, 2018

Clean, modern and I already miss the heated toilet seat!
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Very, very small rooms. Couldn’t unpack suitcase, and no wardrobe small.

Clean, modern and I already miss the heated toilet seat! Also the cafe is great for brekkie and the bar has super views.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2018

• Superior Hollywood Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The booking... At first I was given a confirmed rate of 661.00 USD. I was charged 738.00 USD at the hotel. I was never given an explanation for the difference. On our last night, I went to the front desk and inquired about a late check of 2 hours, since our return flight was not until later that evening. They said it was possible for a fee of a certain percentage of the daily rate, I thought that was fair and they charged me 50.00 USD for a 2 hour extension. Pleas keep in mind we are already paying 246.00 per night. The extension was from 12N to 1400. My son and I had already packed the night before and only requested the extension so that we had a place to wash up and store our things until 2pm. We returned to the hotel at 1350 and found that they had already locked our keys out and we had no access to our room or our belongings. I went to the front desk and said I have been locked out of my room and they informed me that Check out was at 12N. I let them know about the late check that was arranged the night before and produced a receipt of the 50 USD. They could even tell me if my bags where still in the room. I asked for a manager and another representative told the other employee to give me back my key so that we could get access to our property. I proceed up 6 floors just to find out that the card didn't work. I went back down, they took the card back and ran it through machine and once again I proceed back to the room, just find out that we were stilled locked out. On the third trip to the front desk, I asked to speak to a manager, one was not readily available, they ran the card again and 1/2 hour of going up and down the card worked. Finally a Manager came out and I explained what happened he show little interest in my displeasure over the cost, getting locked out after paying and three trips to the room with a key that didn't work. I received little more than a half hearted sorry.

The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2018

Clean, friendly, convenient location.
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Right in the thick of it all. Super close to the robot restaurant and the Samurai Museum. Both worth a trip. In a very vibrant part of town, lots of young people. Our room was smaller than we imagined but had what we needed and was clean. Staff was friendly. We didn’t eat at the hotel. There is multiple options in the area. Convenient to most places in the Shinjuku area, we tend to walk to it was fun to take everything in.

• Reviewed: December 3, 2018

The Grandbell Hotel is in the heart of Shinjuku and anything...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

It is in the heart of the Red Light District. It is very safe, however, there are many hotels in the area that were used for that reason.

The Grandbell Hotel is in the heart of Shinjuku and anything you want to see is walkable. The rooms are very small, however the access to the rooftop bar and the location made up for it. They were very accommodating and let us keep our suitcases at the hotel after checkout/before we headed to the airport. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to explore Shinjuku!

• Reviewed: November 30, 2018

Clean, comfortable, nice rooms.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Small rooms, although that is pretty standard in Japan.

Clean, comfortable, nice rooms. Friendly staff. Good location in Shinjuku. Close to restaurants, nightlife and several subway stations. Not noisy. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: November 28, 2018

Great cafe in the lobby and bar upstairs

Service here wasn't the best. The staff wasn't very friendly or welcoming. As with most hotels in Tokyo, they provided pajamas but they were only in our room some times. One night they disappeared and then reappeared another night. They were kind of stingy with the towels as well. The property is a bit of a walk from train stations.

Great cafe in the lobby and bar upstairs Washing machines and lots of vending machines for snacks

• Reviewed: November 26, 2018

Good
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Sadly the internet connection doesn't work in the bedrooms so you have to use the lobby. It's ok but it'll be better if it worked in the rooms.

Hotel is in a great location with only a 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station. The hotel is well kept, the room are nice and staff are friendly.

• Reviewed: November 25, 2018

We booked a room for few nights through different booking...
    • Economy Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The location is a bit far from the SHINJUKU JR Station. As we traveled in group and with baby we commute from Train Station to hotel by taxi. There are lots of hourly hotel near the Granbell Hotel.

We booked a room for few nights through different booking and room types were different. Some newly renovated and some still with old furniture. Breakfast was good with variety from western to Japanese. Staff is friendly, with fair English speaking and some with Chinese speaking. Hotel staff helped us to keep the luggage for few days. Thank u for the great help at least we need not to bring the heavy luggage along.

• Reviewed: November 24, 2018

View from breakfast was good.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Even though the hotel states there they have wi-fi 'across their facilities', there was no wifi in the bedrooms and the wifi in the lobby was very unstable.

View from breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

Staff was nice and helpful.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Wifi wasn’t working during my stay (4 nights)! The handy phone reception was horrible! The bathroom was quite dirty and had smell!

Staff was nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: November 22, 2018

Good hotel near Shinjuku Station
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing that we didn't like, it was quite expensive but Tokyo is an expensive city!

Quiet room, friendly staff, 10 minutes walk to Shinjuku Station.

• Reviewed: November 19, 2018

Clean, modern, and in a great location. Highly recommended.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Would have been nice to open the window even a crack to let some air in, but not possible. Minor thing though

Incredible location, extremely clean and nice modern hotel. Staff were fantastic.

• Reviewed: November 18, 2018

Great stay at Shinjuku.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was really small. There was even no place to put our backpacks. However, there is nothing negative in general.

location is really good, you are in the middle of Shinjuku. The breakfast is also very good.

Great choice for exploring Tokyo
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Great hotel! Rooms were reasonably sized for Tokyo, location is quite central (about 10 minutes from metro station), included breakfast was diverse and very tasty! The staff was very friendly, attentive and always at our disposal. Would stay again!

• Reviewed: November 17, 2018

Great location, warm and friendly atmosphere
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very compact but I think this is the usual for Tokyo and the size was specified when booking. I think it was just a shock. Try pack light, not much room for luggage.

The staff were always warm and welcoming. Everything was good for what we needed. Great location.

• Reviewed: November 17, 2018

Location is great for getting around on subways and lots of...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Wifi is terrible and mostly nonexistent.

Location is great for getting around on subways and lots of eating places close by. Breakfast at the hotel is excellent.

• Reviewed: November 16, 2018

good hotel with western features, but a bit far from the main shinjuku station area.
    • Deluxe Triple Room with Loft - 12th Floor - Non-Smoking

the wifi was not working during our entire stay. the staff provided us with one phone that could use data and make calls, but it was still inconvenient with the number of devices we wanted to connect (and we only had two pocket wifi's).

the facilities were nice and the bathroom was large! the staff were very helpful in answering our questions and pointing us to the right direction.

Average
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Tiny room, even by Tokyo standards. We couldn’t keep our suitcases open - no room! No gym. Just a fairly average hotel, nothing special.

Good location. Good rooftop bar.

• Reviewed: November 15, 2018

It was pretty close to the station and a great base for...

There was no where to fit 2 suitcases we had to shift them around the room

It was pretty close to the station and a great base for going to see other areas in Japan and not having to deal with central Tokyo station on a daily basis

• Reviewed: November 15, 2018

Unless they improve their wifi I would not stay here again!
    • Deluxe Double Room - Non-Smoking

The wifi system was non existent. Nothing in the rooms and only sporadic service in the lobby. Instead the hotel provides a cell phone in each room free that has great capability but also feeds out ads and stores all your info. I Did not trust this system at all. They said your data e Would be wiped clean on your Departure!

The staff, the breakfast, the location, the efficiency.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Would stay again only if rates dropped
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

No wifi in room, we were offered a smartphone which we could take outside as well but not being able to use our phones was a major disadvantage. Room was very small and basic and was identical to another hotel down the road which was cheaper.

View from breakfast room was great and the bar was excellent. Hotel staff was vey helpful.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

great value and quiet area of Shinjuku close to everything
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

I just wish they had two dryers because drying takes a long time. Right now they have two washers and one dryer so you have to wait with your wet clothes.Wish they had more hot vegetarian options at breakfast like some fried potatoes, french toast, pancakes, etc. Great neighborhood.

Great value and quiet, clean. Had everything I needed. Also had a washing machine and dryer which is great if you travel light. Breakfast was convenient and good.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Wifi didn’t work in the hotel for the entire time we were...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Wifi didn’t work in the hotel for the entire time we were there. Never gave a time for when it would be fixed. A lot of guests were complaining/upset. Seemed suspicious to me because they already had a laminated paper at the front desk explaining the wifi being down.

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Fantatsic property to stay in for Shinjuku
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms for Tokyo were compact but had everything you need, It was clean, modern and had a good view of Shinjuku. Very friendly staff. Great Hotel.

• Reviewed: November 13, 2018

Clean hotel, very helpful staff, nice rooftop bar.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Clean hotel, very helpful staff, nice rooftop bar. The long nightshirts provided in the room were super comfy! Room size was small, but I think this applies to all of Tokyo so nothing to complain about.

• Reviewed: November 13, 2018

Best value for money hotel in Shinjuku
    • Superior Designer Double Room - Studio - Non-Smoking

Perhaps the table should not be in sharp edges. They nicked me a few times.

Hotel is near major shopping district. Room is generous by Tokyo's standard. Room was so nicely designed and full of sunlight.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Good location, room could be larger and get the WiFi fixed!
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Quite a small room and once suitcases in there too almost impossible to move around with two people in there. One side of the double bed impossible to get out of. NO WiFi in the room. Apparently had not been working for a week? The WiFi in reception was intermittent and poor. Very disappointing. If I had been told about the WiFi I would have cancelled and rebooked elsewhere.

Location of hotel was good and staff very polite.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

This hotel experience was efficient but was heartless with little warmth.
    • Standard Hollywood Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The staff could be a little bit more engaging with the clientel e.g. recommending places to go to rather than just districts especially when it comes to restaurants. The hotel could have larger rooms but then again it is in central Tokyo.

I liked the location, although not perfect, it was easy to get around Tokyo. The cleanliness of the hotel and the quality of the bathroom supplies were excellent. The staff were efficient without being overly friendly. The hotel is close to entertainment areas and near lots of good eateries. A good base for singles.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2018

No wifi
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Wifi doesn't work anywhere (room and lobby). They know it - they apologized when we arrived, they should instead either fix it or remove it from the hotel features.

Hotel location is good. They provide a mobile phone in the room that you can use.

• Reviewed: November 10, 2018

An efficient but not particularly inspiring hotel
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very small. I understand that space is a problem in Tokyo and our hotel room was a clear example of this! It did however contain everything we needed , but there was really very little space for out suitcases and clothes. But worse of all was the fact that the wifi system was not working over a period of four days. The staff kept saying they were trying to have it sorted out , but nothing changed during our stay. It is worth considering, if travelling with suitcases etc, that going to the bus terminal for the airports (located on the South side of Shinjuku Station), is a good 20 min walk (farther than the trains section).

Clean, newly designed and efficient. The hotel staff was reasonably helpful. The location is fine, in a very lively area (Shinjuku), but a bit further than I imagined (about 15 min walk) from the station and the underground.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

The rest of the stay was good with good location and clean...

One or two of the reception staff were less than helpful, bordering on rude.

The rest of the stay was good with good location and clean and comfortable room with a good breakfast.

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

A great hotel right in Shinjuku centre.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms clean and functional. Easy access to rail stations and staff very helpful. Yes the room was a little on the small side however this seems to be normal in Tokyo unless you want to break the bank. We had no issues with 2 of us and suitcases in the room. Also a good breakfast helped top it off!

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

The WiFi doesn’t work in the rooms at all which for the...
    • Luxury Designer Double Room - Mature - Non-Smoking

The WiFi doesn’t work in the rooms at all which for the price is pretty unacceptable, especially as I booked an executive room. It was patchy even at the reception by the WiFi box. The cafe on the by the hotel entrance says green tea matcha latte with boba on the board in big writing and when I ordered it they said they didn’t have it. when I showed them the writing they had to call the manager to ask how to make it and when I finally got it it tasted like a giant glass of milk with no flavor and it wasn’t cheap. The location is right by golden gai and a bunch of shopping malls. It’s a great location. Make sure you book the right one. There’s another location in shibuya which is smaller but I preferred it.

No wifi
    • Deluxe Triple Room with Loft - Ground Floor - Non-Smoking

A big hotel catering for international clientele not having any proper wifi! They have a public wifi in the lobby which no one can connect and room wifi is non-existent. Absoluely shocking. A lot of international tourist need internet to research and plan their trip. They do provide ‘handy’ which is a slow android only good for web browsing and google map when you are out and about.

location of the hotel is not bad, and very trendy interior design with good toiletry, tea and coffee. They let you store luggage one day in advance before the day you check in.

• Reviewed: November 8, 2018

The views from our room located on the 16Th floor were...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

the wifi internet service was not available on the rooms and where available (lobby) was not working properly.

The views from our room located on the 16Th floor were fantastic.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2018

Will be staying here next time I come!
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Nothing, everything was perfect!

Absolutely great time here! Stayed 7 nights and it was so comfortable and clean. They give you a phone to use which makes it totally convenient to get around! I appreciate the staff! The location is everything it’s in the middle of the night scene and easy walk to places everywhere! 💕💕

• Reviewed: November 5, 2018

Good location 150m from Metro Station
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

WiFi did not work in rooms. Staff advised to use handy phone provided but unable to connect personal devices to internet.

Good location 150m from Metro Station

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

The location was pretty close to the Shinjuku station, the...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

I would have loved a gym. Especially for early morning hours with jetlag, a gym would have definitely helped with staying healthy.

The location was pretty close to the Shinjuku station, the breakfast was a good mix of European and Asian food. The room, even though small, was exactly what I needed: very clean and with a nice view of the city.

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

Convenient low-key hotel, served its purpose perfectly!
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Don't expect any wifi at all, it just doesn't work. We walked to Starbucks (10 mins walk) as we needed reliable wifi to get work done. Take advantage of happy hour draft beer on the rooftop before heading out for dinner, but don't bother with food there, it's nothing much - but then who needs it when you're surrounded by tons of fun restaurants!

The Shinjuku Granbell was conveniently located to wander Shinjuku, the little bar alleys, and within easy walking distance of the major Shinjuku train and metro station. The room we selected was very small; We knew this when booking, but it still took some time to wrap our heads around how to be sufficiently organised so that we didn't step over each other. Having said that, the provided amenities kits were plentiful, the shower was great, the toilet was entertaining to use and the staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: October 31, 2018

Location location
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Although advertised with in room wifi dacilities, this was not available (only at reception). They did have an in-house Android device for use though. The restaurant was closed most nights with a basic menu available in the rooftop bar. Cafe did not open until 11am.

Location was perfect, close to everything you need. Premise was clean.

great choice, recommended
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Location of the hotel is superb, really close to everything important to see in the center and close to principal commuting stations. Really nice the possibility to have dinner at the hotel for reasonable price and with a fantastic panorama of skyscrapers.

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

Really good location in Shinjuku and a short walk to the...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was small but in line with most other hotel rooms in Japan

Really good location in Shinjuku and a short walk to the station. The room was always very clean. It was nice to have a bar in he hotel with a view, definitely recommend going there for a drink

Big room.
    • Deluxe Designer Double Room - Casual - Non-Smoking

The included buffet breakfast was not great. They had about 8 different types of dead animal. All I wanted was some baked beans in toast. They had spaghetti but it had ham in it. otherwise great hotel.

Big room. Good location

• Reviewed: October 28, 2018

good value and comfy, clean room in a vibrant Tokyo neighborhood
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Laundry facilities weren't great. Hotel restaurant was closed. The bar charges a seating fee, which seemed excessive and unnecessary.

Hotel is pretty good for a wacky neighbourhood. Short walk to Shinjuku station and subway, and lots of good shopping and dining options nearby. We got a smartphone with the room to take with us and use during our stay, which was very useful.

• Reviewed: October 28, 2018

Except for minor inconveniences mentioned, a very good stay in a great area if your ever in Tokyo.
    • Deluxe Double Room - Non-Smoking

A closet would have helped....and as mention above, I really do like to have the bathroom sink in the bathroom....

Location was great, everything was spotless, and staff was super helpful. This hotel is a great stay in one of the best tourist areas in Tokyo, Hotel is clean and the area safe. Staff was always helpful. Prices are most reasonable for the Tokyo area. I rated some areas of the room less than the best for only one reason. While the room was larger than the average Tokyo hotel room, our room had no closet, which was very inconvenient for a several night stay, and the bathroom sink was in the hall, adjacent to the bathroom. Also inconvenient. Still a great choice in a great section of Tokyo.

• Reviewed: October 28, 2018

modern, stylish hotel with amazing tokyo views and all the mod cons
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

room was a bit small but was expected. we found the air conditioning was not very straightforward and the room was a bit stuffy.

great location right in the entertainment district of Shinjuku. modern and stylish hotel, good value for money. our room on the 16th floor was economy size but had everything we needed – plus an amazing view over tokyo!

• Reviewed: October 27, 2018

Spacious room.
    • Superior Designer Double Room - Studio - Non-Smoking

Very poor breakfast selection on offer in both Japanese and Western styles

Spacious room. Executive Club facilities. Very good location Comfortable bed and pillows.

• Reviewed: October 27, 2018

Great location in the heart of Shinjuku, compact room, good...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Noisy toilet door shutting, one side of the bed up against a wall

Great location in the heart of Shinjuku, compact room, good value. Comfy bed and hotel bar with a good view

• Reviewed: October 26, 2018

Great location, good service with English speaking staff
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately the Wi-Fi was not working during our trip. They did provide us with a mobile/handy but it wasn't quite the same as we could not connect devices to the internet. No other complaints.

Good location! Easy to get to 3 different stations. Lots of food options too. Staff were also lovely and could speak English.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2018

Great location as close to Shinjuku station, a short walk...
    • Superior Designer Double Room - Studio - Non-Smoking

The room was a little tired and bashed about, I think the photos made them look better than they are. The breakfast wasn’t great either so I’m not sure I’d bother with that if staying again.

Great location as close to Shinjuku station, a short walk from Golden Gai and close to some great restaurants. We had a view over the city which was fantastic. The room was quite modern, comfortable and the bathroom was great, they kept the room incredibly clean and the staff were very smiley and helpful.

• Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

No internet connection in the rooms during our stay, only a slow connection in the lobby. The hotel provided a smartphone to us though, but it was rather slow too.

Location very central
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

General vibe in and around the hotel not good, worst and most expensive of all the hotels we stayed in on our Japan trip. SUPERIOR DOUBLE ROOM NOT AT ALL SUPERIOR, EXTREMELY SMALL.

Location very central

Decent budget-friendly hotel.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

no wifi in room. No where to open luggage except to put on bed

Standard twin or double room super small. Rally not where to open your luggage. beds were comfortable and clean. No wifi in room.

- Price and cleanliness
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

- WIFI was not working - Breakfast was not great - we went out for breakfast from the second morning - Expect rooms to be small in Japan but these are slightly uncomfortable - cannot even unpack which is annoying for a stay of more than one night - Hot water was being cut off for the day so we had to check out very early

- Price and cleanliness

Very good location.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Very small even for Japan. Booked a superior and a standard room, don't waste your money on a superior, it's basically 1.5m2 more but, for my case, bad layout with even less storage space and no safe.. . One of the towels hadn't been washed and smelled really weird... Wifi just doesn't work at all and Hotel doesn't plan to fix it, as per proof the already old sign at the reception desk mentioning that because of the so-called tourist season, Wi-Fi would experience some troubles... Btw they also have a laminated sheet to explain the various kind of rooms and their respective sizes... Breakfast is below average for Japan.

Very good location. Good rooftop.

Very quiet room
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Standard room we stayed in was older, dark, and very small approx 12 square meters - too small for a couple. Slow wifi. Middle of the red light district - consider what type of holiday you are on (not ideal for families, perfect for boys trip) Not ideal if you want to relax after a long day of sight seeing.

Very quiet room Free handy phone was helpful to take out and saved us using our mobile data. Everything extremely clean. Friendly and helpful staff who spoke English

• Reviewed: October 21, 2018

Pleasant stay, would recommend.
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Staff were very friendly. Location was great; a short walk to the nearby subway station, plenty of restaurants in the area, close to the main Shinjuku shopping hub.

• Reviewed: October 18, 2018

Beautiful Penthouse!
    • Penthouse Suite - Non-Smoking

I asked the staff at the front counter if they could give me the same room for the following night if it wasn’t booked for the same price. They told me to book the room through the Booking.com app. So in other words they were not helpful to me and they lost out on money because I looked and the room was available but for full price. You would think they would want to make money on the room instead of have it empty but oh well. It’s their loss not mine.

I got a great deal on the penthouse suite. Actually I think the deal I got was priced appropriately. I would not pay the full price for that room.

• Reviewed: October 17, 2018

Great location, close to Shinjuku, Golden Gai etc.
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Very small even as a "superior" room. Wifi doesn't work at all and coverage problem is well known from staff since an hotel sign is mentioning at the reception desk, pretexting it'd be because of the tourist season... Room size is always a challenge in Japan but those are very very small. One of our towels hasn't been cleaned and smelled very dirty.

Great location, close to Shinjuku, Golden Gai etc.

• Reviewed: October 16, 2018

Nice hotel, but small rooms and poor WiFi
    • Deluxe Designer Double Room - Casual - Non-Smoking

The room was much smaller than pictured, which seems to be a standard for hotels in Japan. If you can upgrade, make sure you do! The WiFi was non-existent - so much so that they actually offer personal routers, which seemed to all be fully taken by guests the whole time. We put our names on a waitlist and checked back for a couple of days to see if it was free. That's the only way we stayed connected for the rest of our stay, and it only work on one device. The breakfast didn't meet expectations - there was a hot breakfast buffet that even included chicken nuggets, but no butter or even cheese, and only one fruit option, which is odd for a hotel with so many international guests. Meanwhile there was also a full buffet for Chinese food. In general not a lot of variety and it became easier to just buy breakfast to keep in the room.

Well located hotel, 10mins from Shinjuku station (where bullet trains + a lot of metro lines pass through) and its main streets. The hotel was nicely designed and tidy/clean. Nice rooftop bar with views over Tokyo.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Beautiful hotel, excellent location, friendly, helpful efficient staff - would return!
    • Deluxe Double Room - Non-Smoking

We were a bit surprised when we opened the door to our room "deluxe double" that there was nowhere to place our suitcases that didn't impeded traffic or sitting area. With one side of the bed against the wall there was not a place for a side table which is so helpful to have. There wasn't any available space to unpack our suitcases. We did adjust and pile up things we weren't going to use so we could manage but it ruined the beautiful layout of the room. The cleaning staff helped us keep things tidy and we are thankful for all that was provided. We would stay at the Granbell again and recommend it.

The breakfast offering was excellent - obviously prepared in house - fresh or freshly prepared. Beautiful view and lots of seating. Enjoyed the rooms offering of coffee, tea and sleep wear. The bathrooms in the hotel were so clean and accessible. The in-room hotel bathtub was heavenly. The staff were prompt in every area, also friendly and helpful. Our room was always clean and fresh when we returned from our day's outing. The cleaning staff were friendly whenever we passed in the hall. Over 7 days we adjusted to our small space in the room and enjoyed ourselves immensely. We were also very central and walked almost everywhere and when we needed a rest, a taxi or metro was available.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Handy place , but stay somewhere else and come for a drink on the terrace.
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room was small for the money, nowhere to put luggage and dark, window looking out on a building a metre away. It felt claustrophobic.

Terrace and location was great.

Central Shinjuku location, clean rooms
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Staff were a little rude at breakfast. Breakfast is expensive for average quality.

Central location - though unbeknownst to us at the time of booking, it’s slap bang in the middle of the red light district. It’s not rough but it is a little seedy. Clean rooms. Great views, even from the economy room. Rooftop bar was good if not a little expensive.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Was perfect for a one night introduction to the city, but probably wouldn't stay long term.
    • Superior Double Room - Non-Smoking

Location was a bit rough and hard to find. Surrounding streets were not very clean like the rest of Japan.

Amazing rooftop bar with good drinks choice , big comfortable bed. Excellent view of the city.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Perfect location, clean and well equipped bedroom and friendly staff
    • Economy Twin Room - Non-Smoking

The shower was fantastic and the toiletries provided were of a high standard. The view was wonderful and the bed very comfortable. Courtesy umbrellas were provided to guests during wet weather and the vending machines in house covered virtually everything. The bit that made it for us though was the location - perfectly positioned to everything in Shinjuku. We would definately come back and stay here

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

Rubbish WiFi, awful breakfast but it was clean and the staff were nice
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was awful - the kitchen couldn’t cope with the number of people staying at the hotel. It’s not a ‘boutique’ hotel it’s just a standard hotel with a large number of rooms. Quality of food was poor considering the price. Biggest problem was the WiFi not working - it existed but didn’t work, really slow and couldn’t really use it at all. We couldn’t check in for our flight because we didn’t have WiFi so we couldn’t sit next to each other, that was really annoying. Ironically the room was full of weird tech gadgets but the WiFi was awful! Bizarre and very annoying.

The hotel was clean

• Reviewed: October 13, 2018

great hotel close to center of Shinjuku
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

very nice hotel, comfort room Fully equipped .very good breakfast .there is good bar restaurant in the 13 floor of the hotel with great view of the area the hotel very close to the heart of Shinjuku, 15 min walk to Shinjuku station, .5min walk to Shinjuku Sanchome station and 15 min walk to Shinjuku gyoen park

2 days in Tokyo
    • Superior Designer Double Room - Studio - Non-Smoking

Room was smaller then we normally see and toilet room was tiny. Tokyo overall is very expensive for what you get.

Good location for getting around and subway access. Tons of restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: October 13, 2018

modern and good location. great breakfast!
    • Standard Double Room with Loft - 12th Floor - Non-Smoking

as with lots of rooms in tokyo, not so much space, but to be expected.

breakfast buffet was excellent! location is walking distance to two subway stops and close to the action in shinjuku. loved how they included pjs and water. the loft room had a really big window, so lots of natural light. i also like how they had a water heater in the room for tea. lots of options when it comes to price/room type.

• Reviewed: October 10, 2018

The staff can speak fluent English!
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Issues with free wifi - basically cannot connect to the in-room wifi/or very slow. It is not as clean as other hotels I stayed in Japan.

The staff can speak fluent English! The mirror in the bathroom is good! Room is small but well designed. Good value for money and close to the centre of Shinjuku (even I don’t really like the atmosphere at Shinjuku though).

• Reviewed: October 10, 2018

Location was good, we had a bright room high up with views...
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms a tiny (but that's Tokyo I guess) and there is not a lot of storage room (closet, shelves, drawers, anything really) so if you have two suitcases and some stuff with you you'd have to get creative.

Location was good, we had a bright room high up with views and lot's of daylight.

Had all we needed
    • Economy Double Room - Non-Smoking

Located about 10 min walk from main shopping area and 5 min walk to the Robot restaurant. Rooms are not large but adequate. Comfortable bed, decent bathroom. Cafe on ground floor and open for happy hour 5pm-7pm.

We Price Match