2. Lebanon hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Gems Hotel

Reviews of Gems Hotel 4 stars

Maqdessi Street PO BOX 1135708 Al Hamra, 1103 Beirut, Lebanon

#24 of 150 hotels in Beirut

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 12 February 2019

They picked me up at airport (hotel official car) and when I...
    • Deluxe Double Room

They picked me up at airport (hotel official car) and when I arrived to hotel they upgraded my room without charging extra cost. Ladies in reception were very helpful and kind (thanks Layal and Inas). I will definetely come back.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2019

Room, location, airport pick-up and drop-off all fine

Unfortunately I was charged in the local currency of my card with 5% comission fee, I asked if it would be possible to cancel the transaction and pay in USD so that I get a lower comission fee and it was not possible. Be aware of this when you pay so you don’t have to pay a high exchange fee ($20 in my case)

Room, location, airport pick-up and drop-off all fine

• Reviewed: 6 February 2019

Everything was lovely!
    • Deluxe Double Room

Two friends from Greece visiting Lebanon first time! We stayed at Gems for the first weekend of February and it was literally one of the greatest trips we’ve made so far! The Hotel staff were very friendly, always available to assist you in anything and answer to everything! The Suite on the 7 floor was spacious and very very clean as was everything else in the hotel! The best part was breakfast, where you could find a big variety of everything! It’s a Hotel conveniently located near the Beirut’s street market but not the Center, though with a 4$ Uber you can get there! Overall very satisfied from our stay! Special thanks to Shaza for treating us like royalty! #thegreekguys

• Reviewed: 4 February 2019

Great experience

I booked standard double room but Gems hotel upgraded me to suit for the same price. Its really five star hotel and staff really helpful and kind. If I will come again to Beirut I will definitely stay at Gems hotel. Thanks a lot .

• Reviewed: 26 January 2019

Excellent value for money

Breakfast was very limited but tasty

The staff were all friendly. They upgraded Overall I would strongly recommend Gems hotel for anyone visiting Beirut for business or leisure.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2019

Very nice property clean , the best thing in the hotel is...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very nice property clean , the best thing in the hotel is the staff always smiling and very helpful all of them But specially ENAS really very professional, helpful,always smiling,she makes upgrade for my room Really very nice hotel always recommended to all my friends

• Reviewed: 22 January 2019

Great place in Hamra and real value for money!

Everything fine!

Great place in Hamra and real value for money! We enjoyed our 2-day-stay tremendously! We got breakfast in one of the coffee houses close-by.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2019

Very nice staff!

Everything was up to my expectations

Very nice staff! We were upgraded to a better room without any extra charge (It was the initiative of the reception girl who was very kind) Location is very good cause Hamra is lively day and night without being too touristy. *Middle range hotels like this one are not boutique hotels (not in these range of prices, anyway). They are very decent, very confortable, but kind of "old-school" and in an area that is much more populated than the waterfront. What you see thought the window is the real skyline of a city, not a postcard. It's good to keep this in mind before booking.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2019

I had a great and comfortable stay at Gems. The location was the best part.
    • Standard Twin Room

Maybe more vegan options for breakfast.

The staff was very friendly. The airline lost our luggage and the hotel gave us a (slightly) discounted taxi rate to go pick up the bags the next day.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2019

I like the location

I asked for new clean sheets and they were never changed for 4 nights. Anything I asked for took time to be delivered l.

I like the location I like the friendly staff

• Reviewed: 27 December 2018

Generous hospitality with perfect location

A very clean hotel with great hospitality and perfect location and there is a parking there which is a privilage. They upgrade our room to suite and that was good gesture. We asked for a baby cot while reserving and once we arrived we found the baby cot at the room ready.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2018

great

noise from small pup next to the hotel.

they exceeded my expectations, Inas the receptionist upgraded my room to suit for the same price, she is serving all the guests with a big smile. all the staff was helpful. the room was great, the only problem i faced was a little noise coming from a small pup next to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2018

In word no more Gems in my life

The room wasn't clean when i arrived AC service was so bad In the middle of the bath water became cold Room service wasnt helpful

Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing

• Reviewed: 17 December 2018

I want to come back to Beirut and stay in the same place.

I was overwhelmed by receiving an upgrade to the executive suite. It had a nice living room and kitchen as well as amazing coffee machine. Breakfast was super delicious and location is amazing - in the heart of Hamra.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2018

We got a free upgrade to a suite!
    • Standard Twin Room

We got a free upgrade to a suite! Very nice, confortable and quiet room! Staff were very friendly especially the two women at the desk and the housekeeper !! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2018

Friendly staff and a very clean well maintained hotel.

Only downside is that we were unable to control the room temperature ourselves and reception staff confirmed its all controlled centrally by them.

Friendly staff and a very clean well maintained hotel. We were given a free upgrade which surely did make our stay more enjoyable. Excellent location in Hamra however the hotel is opposite a few bars which means it could get loud at night but it didn’t really affect our sleep at all.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2018

Everything was perfect.

Everything was perfect. Reception staff were super friendly and the hotel is centrally located. We also got upgraded to a suite which was a plus point. It will be my choice for all my coming trips to Beirut

• Reviewed: 4 December 2018

Perfect base for a Beirut stay.

For us the stay was perfect. Nothing needed to be improved.

Outstanding base for a trip to Beirut. Great location with everything you need on your doorstep. Hotel staff were always more than happy to help and give suggestions on where to go. Baring in mind, my visit was with a broken leg - they were very accommodating. Would stay there again if I return to Beirut in the future.

• Reviewed: 3 December 2018

Very pleasant stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast could have more options for Europeans, and standard dinner plates would be better. Rooms facing the front get the noise from the bar across the street.

Very nice room, comfortable bed, spotlessly clean. Good wifi.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2018

the room is clean and comfortable

there is a lady at the reception that looked like she's annoyed that she has to work, she did not offer to assist us when we checked-in and checked-out whilst she was not doing anything

the room is clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 14 November 2018

Comfortable bed, good tv-channels.

Make sure you get a room a few floors up as it can get a bit loud in the street on account of the bar scene. But not that loud.

Comfortable bed, good tv-channels. Room service was very attentive and everything was clean.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2018

We were offered a free upgrade to a suite.

I was honest enough to tell them a number of things that were missing from my bill. Then they did a currency conversion (appalling rate) on my credit card payment without telling me. Not good! Otherwise I would give a 9/10

We were offered a free upgrade to a suite. The suite was very comfortable. The location was also very good. Breakfast was ok. Staff were friendly and generally quite helpful.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2018

Superb location, ladies staff at reception and guest relation are so rude need to be replaced

Reception ladies staff & guest relationship lady are super rude and I suggest full training course to be given to them on communication, attitude, and human interaction! Ladies staff are rude rude rude!! I dont recommend this hotel unless they change all ladies staff

Location is superb for people who likes to spend the night life in alhamra and enjoy the local places around the area

• Reviewed: 2 November 2018

Great hotel compared to others, location is superb, ladies at reception are very rude!

Reception staff (specially female) are very rude, not welcoming, not smiling, I believe they need proper training on how to welcome guests and deal with human, also the ladies sitting at guest relation she is extremely out of order when she talks to guests, I suggest the top people at the hotel prepare communication training courses for ladies working at this hotel to improve their ability in dealing with people. Beds are not comfortable at all. A/C some times okay some times not and very noisy luckily my visit was during good weather. Again before I finish I want to stress that ladies at reception and guest relation are rude rude!!!

Location is perfect for all what you need in Alhamra. Parking not free but the cheapest in alhamara and its very secure (underground)

• Reviewed: 1 November 2018

• Deluxe Double Room

For a longer stay, the room is small and not much room to walk around the bed. Recommend you upgrade to a larger room if staying more than a few nights.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2018

Hotel is just OK
    • Deluxe Double Room

Very poor variety for breakfast (no boiled eggs, cereals and fruits, and only instant coffee) Never changed towels, they have only folded them After cleaning kept windows opened, got a lot of flies in the room, and awful smell from bathroom Was surprised that they cannot order normal taxi (I believe it is basic concierge services), they will provide you a hotel car, which is times more expensive Wi-Fi is also very slow

Average hotel with an excellent location, everything close by. Rooms are quiet big with good bed. Just do not expect 4* facilities, expect as much as you have paid.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2018

Comfortable stay at the heart of the city.

On our arrival, for two persons there were only one set of towels at the room. Nothing else negative.

Our room has been upgraded to suit on our arrival. We had a large, comfortable and clean room. The hotel is on the same street with lots of bars and restaurants and a lively neighboorhood till late hours. Parellel to Hamra street, for many parts of the city we could reach from the hotel just by walking. Would reccomend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 October 2018

Convenient location with some nice bars and restaurants...

A bit outdated. The place could do with a bit of a renovation. Also missing the small essentials like cutlery in our kitchen area, toilet paper etc. Was annoying having to go ask.

Convenient location with some nice bars and restaurants nearby. Overall it was fine. Just nothing special or memorable to be honest.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

We stayed at Gems for 4 nights.

We stayed at Gems for 4 nights. The first two nights were okay. The other two were terrible: on the third night a horrible smell of cigarette smoke came into our non-smoking room for the entire night from the room next door through the ventilation system. We turned off the ventilation system to prevent the smell from coming in but that didn’t work. When the smell didn’t stop (it was getting really bad) we asked to change the room. They offered a change of room but it wasn’t the same type and we decided to change rooms on the next day (also it was already 2 am). The first room they offered us also smelled bad. The second room was okay - but terrible during the night because of the loud party noises coming from the street until 4 am (even though we were on the 6th floor). We would not pick Gems again. PS: we think we forgot a dental device in the room on the nightstand. Gems was not responsive at all. I had to call two times and send 3 emails before receiving an answer! The best part: They said they were not sure if the housekeeper had found it and thrown it away! - it was an expensive dental device, so thank you Gems.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Worthwhile...

Breakfast is rather simple and the coffee is a desaster (instant coffee). Better book without breakfast and eat somewhere in Hamra.

Accomodation was nice and quiet. Location in Hamra is perfect, short distance to most of things.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

bad experiance

towels smell not good it seems it was not cleanee well. i ordered coffee to the room and the taste was not good

actually after those issues which had occured i will not repeat this experiance even if the hotel and rooms were good

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

The kitchenette is not equipped;
    • Standard Twin Room

The kitchenette is not equipped; there was only one towel for two persons; we have requested another one but nobody brought it to us. We also thought e had left some stuff in the room so we called the Hotel to double check, they promised to get back to us but they still didn't do yet.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

There was a dysfunction in the AC all night.

There was a dysfunction in the AC all night. It was extremely disturbing and made it difficult to sleep. This ruined my daily sleep routine and made it hard to function at work.

Adequate stay in a busy place in Beirut
    • Deluxe Double Room

Had to make a simple request for extra pillow three times, once when I got in the room around 2pm, once at 5pm and finally at 8pm to get them. Supposedly a suite, no room to move around the lounge area, absolutely nothing in the kitchen cabinets, wasted space when the closet is very small and awkwardly placed. Wifi unreliable at best.

We were upgraded from a deluxe double to a suite. Cleaning lady was very sweet and thorough.

Great location will lots of bars and restaurants around.
    • Standard Twin Room

Slow Wi-fi but bars across the road have fast free Wi-fi so just becomes an excuse to go for a coffee

Great location will lots of bars and restaurants around. Comfortable room with great air conditioning.

Very nice hotel, staff, and location. Highly recommended.

Wifi signal only worked in one corner of the room, and internet speed was very low. There were pubs right across the street, which may have been considered a bit noisy, but not too bad.

We received a free upgrade to a suite, so my review may be a little biased. The room was very clean and tidy, with a small kitchen (which we didn't use). Everything was very elegant and comfortable. The bathroom was elegant and modern as well. Breakfast was good... it wasn't as good as a five star hotel, but definitely better than I expected. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, going out of their way to help. Location was amazing.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

They upgraded my room at no extra charge.

Breakfast is very limited- almost continental & missing many basic items liked boiled eggs for example. Sometimes housekeeping forgets to add stuff to the room (like paper napkins, small face towels & toothbrush) although when you call reception they gladly bring what you want. Transportation using hotel cars is much more expensive than using taxi (a little less than double the price). There is something wrong with the hotel phone system, it over charges for local calls (even when there is no answer). When I spoke to them about it, they just gave me a discount but they could not clarify the reason for the extra charges.

They upgraded my room at no extra charge. The room was very comfortable. Staff are nice & helpful. Location is great.

It was OK
    • Deluxe Double Room

First, i booked and payed for a deluxed double room and i was placed on a standard room which i found really small, i even called the reception to changed me to a suite and i will pay the extra charges and the answer was “no availabilities” while it was available on booking.com, so they need to be more carefull specially that i was a new guest in the hotel. Second, the location, the hotel is in the middle of pubs restaurants with noise till late night.

The hotel is new, clean, modern with nice technology and a great decoration. I was allowed to check in earlier.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

It is so nice
    • Deluxe Double Room

The noise coming from the pup beside

Reciption staff is very frindly this people make me repeat visiting this place I will never change my hotel if this hotel going like this

Excellent Location with clean bedrooms and bathrooms.

Excellent Location with clean bedrooms and bathrooms. Reception staff were very welcoming and they kindly upgraded us to a suite! The wifi was a little weak within the bedroom, but we were instantly provided with our own router/modem which was great.

We got a free room upgrade upon arrival which was more than...

Nothing to unlike in such great hotel)

We got a free room upgrade upon arrival which was more than perfect!! Staff were so helpful and we really enjoyed our stay in there! A great hotel in the heart of Beirut 'Hamra' and close to everything) Definately, we're gonna come again!

Had a great stay at gems hotel.

Had a great stay at gems hotel. Great location, friendly staff and overall great value for prise. We were also welcomed with a pleasant surprise of a free upgrade to a suite. Would definitely book again.

Good stay
    • Deluxe Double Room

Hamra street is a bit messy, breakfast needs improvement - more consideration for European tourists.

Very good hotel , we were upgraded to a suite thanks to the nice lady at the reception. Comfortable bed and nice bathroom. The hotel offers trips outside Beirut at a decent price.

Good rooms and extraordinary location

The staff at night is very incompetent and useless. We asked for a quiet room in the booking and with the excuse of an upgrade they gave us a room facing the bars on the street in the second floor. It was super noisy and the noise stays till 2am-3am since there are 2 bars just in front. Next day the staff in the morning changed out room to one facing the other side of the hotel that was perfect. Also, another night we asked them at night to book for us a car and to have it at 9am, they told us "Sure". Next day we didn't have any car and the staff of the morning didn't know anything about it, but there was one young guy very good and kind that fix the situation after expending 1h there.

Location is perfect and hotel rooms are great. Comfortable beds and enough space. Breakfast is god and they change slightly daily. A perfect place to stay if you get a quiet room.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The rooms were very nice.
    • Standard Twin Room

The rooms were very nice. Well equipped and spacious. We actually were offered a fre upgrade. The staff was helpful. The location excellent. Clise to the main shopping avenue (Al Hamra street). Several restaurants and bars nearby.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Very nice modern hotel in excellent location

We got very nice rooms. Actually the hotel offererd us free upgrade to a suite which was well equipped and spacious. Also the location is excellent. Many pubs and restaurants around. Famous shopping avenue Al Hamra just round the corner.

It was Ok in general
    • Deluxe Double Room

the supervisor Ms. Einas was not friendly at all and do not know how to deal with a guest. she was nervous and not cooperative

one staff member, Ms. Shaza was really nice and friendly. the hotel was clean

Thank you all very much I paid for the standard and settled...
    • Standard Twin Room

Thank you all very much I paid for the standard and settled in the room deluxe very very much was I was delighted with such hospitality !!!!))) 😍😘 James otel 1000 points you are a young man please appreciate every guest so you would like to come again and again! !!!) 😘

Super!!!)))

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Best value for money!

Actually, there is nothing that I disliked.

I received a beautiful, well appointed room, far exceeding other hotels at a similar price. A fabulous bathroom, and elaborate decor.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

The location is soo good in the center , and you easily...

The location is soo good in the center , and you easily arrive any attraction, the staff is soo nice and helpfull especially enas she was amazing she helped us and upgrade our double single bed room into junior suite , i love the place i would come again and stay in gems hotel

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Good location and friendly staff
    • Deluxe Double Room

Some basic amenities need to be on place rather than calling to provide .. having said that the staff were very responsive

Rooms are v good and clean.. staff give attention to all requests which is great.

Very Good Stay

poor internet in the suite . The housekeeping staff don't clean the room properly if you are away from the room.

Excellent location which close to all shops and restaurants .The reception staff is very welcoming and supportive. it is a comfortable hotel. It is clean hotel even though I have some comments about it

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Location was perfect , room was spacious and staff was very...

Sometimes there was a strange smell in the room, also the pillows are not comfortable

Location was perfect , room was spacious and staff was very friendly

Excellent value for a business traveller

This hotel met all my requirements as a business traveller. It is conveniently located near Hamra street so close to shops etc. The room was large with a separate kitchen area so more like an apartment. All necessary facilities were provided and an iron and ironing board was quickly made available at my request. The breakfast was excellent with a good range of hot and cold food. I appreciated the complimentary plate of fresh food when I arrived.

Amazing stay, thanks GEMS ❤

Nothing everything was perfect

Room was modern New furniture Staff very helpfull Clean Great location Fridge, microwave & oven in the room Very comfy

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, clean and cozy, the bed was comfortable . All the equipment is quite modern and in a very good condition. I loved my stay in Gems hotel!

Very bad
    • Standard Twin Room

That’s my third time stay in this hotel and I think it is the last. Gems are cocky now about their previous high ratings and are treating people really bad. I booked twin by mistake and I requested to change my room to a king size bed or just change the mattress, everyday a new receptionist says ok and did not happen. The floor of the room was dirty, room cleaners never put new stuff after room service ( shampoos, tissues) we had to request it every time. We stayed for 6 nights they never changed the bed sheets even though we asked them. Sometimes they just put a used towel back to its place. The staff are rude and know nothing about customer service.

Location is good but the noise from the pubs below is annoying.

Recommended, I will consider this hotel for my next trip to Beirut.

The only downside was the extra bed, it was not comfortable.

Everything was good, the staff were very helpful and respectable. I received an upgrade which was grade.

Very welcoming and helpful staff.

In the description they said free parking, so we parked for like 15 minuets in the parking lot and were charged 10,000 LBP when checking out.

Very welcoming and helpful staff. I got a free upgrade upon arrival! Very much enjoyed my stay

Excellent value
    • Standard Twin Room

This hotel ticked all the boxes. My room was very quiet and had all the facilities I needed. Breakfast was very good. The location in Hamra district is very convenient as it is close to shopping areas. As a business traveller Gems hotel suited me very well and I will certainly use it again when I next visit Beirut.

Great hotel and would stay here again!

The hotel is in a great location. Next to a lot of bars and restaurants. I got an upgrade when I checked in. I was very impressed by the hotel and would book again.

Location, Hotel staff, especially ladies in reception is...

Hotel was crowded during Eid holiday, Breakfast service was not good.

Location, Hotel staff, especially ladies in reception is very friendly and helpful. Room is upgrated, thanks to all

Reasonable
    • Gems suite

we asked for an airport transfer and agreed for the cahrge Called the hotel the day befote to confirm that a shuttle is required On arrival we were surprised by a small car waiting for us Had to wait for 45 minutes for a bigger car to arrive

Staff were friendly Room size was quite spacious

A very good hotel in Hamra
    • Ivory Suite

The wi-fi was pretty weak and reception was spotty in the room.

The hotel is in a very good position, and the Ivory suite is really big and comfy. Nothing to complain about here! Also, fairly good noise insulation despite being on a noisy street.

Very pleasant experience, friendly staff and a great location.

If you're looking for a hotel with a view of the water, this is not it.

The staff upgraded my room before I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is updated and modern, the rooms are very comfortable. The location is great in terms of access to al Hamra.

Hotel’s location is very good to explore the city.

Breakfast could be better i think.

Hotel’s location is very good to explore the city. Stuff is very friendly and helpfull. Rooms are really comfortable and clean. And hotel’s stuff upgraded our room without extra payment. Thank you for all.

The location was good.

The location was good. The hotel staff was kind and attentive. Our room was ready when we arrived and check-in was quick. They were kind enough to upgrade our room and the room had everything we needed (amenities, air-conditioning, hairdryer etc...) Overall, it was a great experience and would like to stay again.

Our stay was extremely enjoyable.
    • Standard Twin Room

Everything was great- we were really happy both with the room and the service which was provided.

The room was fantastic - really spacious and beautifully decorated! Reception was great - they were able to help us get a phone sim from a shop down the road, they provided an ironing service for us, and helped us with general inquiries we had about the area, including on where to visit a hairdressers.

Would not go to this hotel again.

see above

The property is dated, need a good refurb. My room had issued with lighting - fuse went and the next day i had no spot lights. The breakfast was mediocre. The staff were helpful to the extent of their english The view was terrible - looking into other people's apartment block and the clothes drying outside. The positive being is that the location was suffice.

This is a good hotel in a good location as it is close to everything but not overly expensive.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Breakfast is just okay, could be better but there are great places nearby for breakfast so it was not an issue.

They upgraded us to a Suite without me saying a word. After we arrived from a long flight this was a very nice gesture.

Excellent hotel with an excellent location!

The mattress was very warm - maybe because we are not use to the material? But this is a very minor point. The breakfast was a little disappointing compared to the rest of the hotel. It consisted of halloumi, tomato, cucumber salad, beans, scrambled eggs, croissants and fruit. Maybe our expectations were too high.

The hotel exceeded our expectations in most respects. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The room was spacious and well equipped.

Great value for money in Hamra

Every time I talked to the staff it seemed they were doing me a favor. Staff does not speak English very well and are not very friendly. Though, in the end they delivered as I asked. Someone knocked my door at 2 am and after informing the reception and asking them not to call me back, they did.

Quick check-in, got upgraded to a Junior Suite - thank you! Good location in Hamra. Rooms, amenities and facilities were well maintained. Housekeeping service was fantastic. Several bars, restaurants and shops close by.

The receptionist was very sweet and supportive and she...

Nothing, the hotel is fully equipped and properly sanitized.

The receptionist was very sweet and supportive and she provided a room upgrade with no additional costs. The technology(appliances) used in the hotel room is by far the most advanced amongst 90% of the hotels i have visited across Lebanon.

location is very good and staff

In the evening there is a lot of inconvenience due to the large number of night clubs near the hotel and the bustle of music i didn't sleep after 2 o'clock morning

location is very good and staff

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!
Browse Gems Hotel traveller photo gallery