Reviews of Monroe Hotel Beirut 4 stars

Kennedy Street, Beirut, Lebanon

#88 of 125 hotels in Beirut

• Premium King Sea View

The door of the bathroom wasn't closing good and when I could manage to close it, it get stucked. Also it was no water pressure on the shower. The room was smelling. The windows were dirty.

Just the location.

• Standard King City View

They started extremely loud construction in the room next to ours every morning before 8am so we could not sleep. We complained numerous times. The staff didn’t seem to care or offer to solve the problem. The staff were unfriendly, the facilities (pool) were under renovation.

• Standard Twin City View

late in check in, room was not ready on arrival, had to wait for 1 hour in the lobby. the hotel is under renovation, too much noises and disturbance, the hotel was blocked with a safety net for maintenance, so opening the window was not a good idea.

the location is amazing, very vibrant area, walking distance to downtown and shopping centers.

• Premium King Sea View

Location, facilities and friendliness of staff. Staff were particularly helpful in accommodating all requests (they kindly safe kept my suitcase for 30 days) and check in\out were very fast. Always an enjoyable stay at this hotel.

• Standard King City View

We asked for an upgrade at the booking site to a sea view room but we got a partial sea view, the reception tell's us all the sea view rooms were already booked!!!! and we had a thin grid with workers scaffolding in front of our window

The Hotel location is great near the sea and the city center, the room size is good, the room was clean, the WiFi work properly, it has a paid car parking.

• Standard King City View

Bit pricey as extra cost for breakfast. Shower could be better. Not much sea to see from the window because of tall buildings.

Great location close to see side (Zaytona bay). Live entertainment in the adjacent Awtar restaurant.

• Standard King City View

To sign a paper on arrival saying that, the Credit Card may be used against expenses "without having to sign the bill!

The Valet shuttle driver was very helpful and compensated for some of the many "below averages"

• Deluxe Twin Partial Sea View

Whatever you do, don’t be fooled into booking a deluxe room or pay extra for a sea view. After we paid extra for both of these features we were told by the hotel that ‘all rooms are exactly the same size’ , and a sea view consists of a tiny glimpse of the sea on a good day. So it was pointless to pay extra for features that are not even available. Book the cheapest option you can, deluxe rooms are standard rooms with a fancier name and a more expensive rate. And a sea view is in reality a choice between a view of the Phoenicia Hotel or a war-ravaged ruin of a building.

Location is perfect!

• Standard King City View

Location is key! And honestly appreciate the quietness of the rooms and floors at all times.

• Premium King Sea View

My room stank of smoke. So badly that I could not sleep. The restaurant/bar is very basic and not very comfortable.

It’s cheap. The staff are very nice.

• Premium King Sea View

Location and the view from seafront rooms

The standards below expected 4 stars Although the hotel is non-smoking, every room designated as non-smoking was with an ash tray and you can smell the smoke from a distance. Breakfast is lousy The local is superb but hotel could be managed better

• Premium King Sea View

Booking .come needs to offer non-smoking rooms as an option. Rooms designated as nonsmoking had cigarettes smell strongly present, with ashtrays around. Smoking appears to be acceptable in dining areas.

• Premium King Sea View

Clean, very good location near city centre and great restaurants very kind and friendly staff. Non smoking rooms clean but still smell of tobacco if you switch on AC. Windows need more frequent cleaning and restaurant is not well staffed with limited breakfast

• Standard King City View

The lady who was there when I arrived , no customer service at all !!!! She took 300 $ cash from me as guranty even tho I booked with Visa card under different name where I always use when I book through booking !!! On top of her bad attitude she took long time to cheack me in , also on booking.com the breakfast included but when I cheacked out they said NO !!!! And charged me extra for breakfast , having said that the other two man three man and I believe one of them is the manger are fantastic and have the best customer service ever

• Standard King City View

I been in Beirut many times, and every time Im booking different hotel to change the experience, but this time Monroe hotel was the worst option! From checking in till checking out everything was wrong! Reception - It looks like they choosing the rudest people for this job, and should be completely opposite! Not friendly at all, zero helpful! They talking to you at the same time they answering the phone, talking between themselves and they handling other guests on the same time which makes the crowed on the desk and completely confusion and waisting of ur own time! Room - Nice view, which is the only good thing in the stay. King size bed are actually two beds attached, so you definitely have to choose the side where you will sleep.Pillows are to soft! In the bathroom they provide you with the oldest hairdryer which doesn't even work properly, and they don't have another one to provide you, so you have to go to saloon! Shame! If you want to call housekeeping, you are lucky if they answer after 15th call, same as reception! Pool - closed, under renovation, no access to the beach! You are not informed about that and using this facilities is one of the reason you choose this hotel! Event tho if its open, its surrender by building so there is no sun at all! Parking - not included in the room charge,so everything you have to pay ++ which is completely out of sense if you are guest in the hotel! And on top of everything the payment its not on daily base,you have to pay every time you want to take your car out! Checking out - You received the call at 11am where the guy literally kick you out of the room at 12 pm with reason that they are over booked, without any exception! even tho he see in the system that I finalized my payment night before and that I confirmed check out at 12pm. Im wondering if I stayed more, could it be worst! Such a shame for a hotel who has great location!

View from the room and location are the only two things worth in the whole stay!

• Standard Twin City View

The location is the greatest asset of this hotel, just opposite the marina and a few minutes walk from the upmarket downtown area with all the fancy shops and restaurants. The hotel is clean and basic with friendly staff. It also has a spa which i did not visit so cannot rate. Overall a pleasant experience provided you use the hotel as a springboard to move around the area. If you want more luxury and comfort you can try their top hotels the Phoenician and the four seasons which are just yards away from this property.

• Standard Twin City View

I have honestly to admit that it was a very bad experience.

Very Old and uncomfortable hotel, the pictures of the facility are not reliable. The only positive aspect of this hotel is the location next to the seaside.

• Standard King City View

I didn't feel it was value for money. The breakfast was not good with a lack of variety. Again the room service food wasn't as good, with too much salt and very expensive.

The people were so friendly and nice

• Standard King City View

This hotel was fantastic and, yet, very affordable. The modern design was wonderful, the staff was beyond excellent and the location was perfection. I was able to experience the luxury of The Phoenicia, enjoy the beauty of Zaitunay Bay, visit the Four Seasons for a glass of champagne of the rooftop or walk up the hill to wander around the Beirut Souks within a few short minutes. I felt at home even though it was my first time in Lebanon. I would stay here everytime I visit.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Standard Twin City View

No facilities, this should not be rated as a 4 stars hotel, no iron, pool out of services since ages, no gym, food was very bad , bathroom utilities is bad.

Location, room was clean.

• Standard King City View

the way they close off the air condition at night is bothering me. and also the extra money that they charge me at the beginning of my stay is very strange . they asks me to put 150 USD as extra money in case i use anything during my stay , and they will refund it to me at the checkout. they didn't deduct any thing but i find this procedure is very strange and weird .

the location of the hotel is good and accessible, the closer area is very good to me .

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Standard Twin City View

Well, I arrived very late, 00:30. The room did not open with the key, then they sent a maintenance guy to open the room and fix it in middle of the night. He ended up not being able to fix it. AC did not work as well. 3 am I was moved to a different room. That room smelled like there have been 10 people smoking in it. Up on checkout, I was overcharged 50 usd more than the booking confirmation said. And it took me good 30 minutes to argue get the money back. The girl was very rude. Ended up getting refunded in Local currency. She was not willing to give me USD nor refund to my card. Me going to the airport with a lot of local currency that I needed to figure out to change.

Location, that's about it.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Standard King City View

room wasn't very clean, telephone wasn't working in the room properly, even after I complained, no one bothered to fix it, safe wasn't working, there was some conference, where there was loads of army and security that they hassled me every single time i entered the hotel, I would never stay there again. Rubbish Service .

internet speed.

Overpriced breakfast Smelly bathroom Room size a bit small

The helpfullness of the staff Very good location in downtown near Zaitunay Bay (Marina) Reasonable room price thanks the genius bookicg.com offers

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Standard King City View

First of all, room service in the hotel was not friendly so far. Secondly, when I checked in the lady in the front disk told me you can pay whenever you want. However, after couple of days I found the front disk calling me at 8 oclock in the morning regarding the payment. He said please sir you have to pay now, I replied to him "now at 8 oclock in the morning ?!!" He said we can arrange it later. Moreover, they made a hold on my card without informing me, but that was fine. What made me crazy they asked me to pay the accommedation fees plus room service orders with out touching the hold amount in my card. I asked them why? They said we will return to . you the hold amount by another transaction I paid by my card manualy on the machine and they give me small reciepts called "pre authiriizatiin" and they said the money supposed to be in your account shortly then they said it might take couple of days. I called my bank and they said it is fraud attempt do not believe them they now what they have to do to return your bond in your account. The bank official represntative said they have to send to us an official email from the hotel account or fax and he repeated to me many times they now what to do in this case you do not have to tell them. And after calling the hotel in three days they sent the email to the bank and the holded money was returned. If I did not call the bank the hotel might take the holded money because the bank think it is something I had order in the hotel. The front disk officers were friendly and tried to help me but I was not satisfied and it was annoyining due to call the hotel and see if they return the money or not. It was my first trip to Biruet and it will not be the last but, it will be the last for this hotel. In conclusion, I do not recommend this hotel.

• Standard King City View

The pillow wasn't comfortable for me and my husband. Some of the towels were old. Living in the Middle East, I was surprised not to find the toilet with a built in hose (shatafa). But later I learned that this is the case in Lebanon and not just the hotel.. still surprised though.

The closeness of the hotel to Beirut souq as well as zeitouna bay. I mentioned when I booked that I'd like a late check in and check out as our return flight was at 8pm, not a lot of hotels take this into consideration, I was delighted to find that we'll have the room till 6pm without extra charge!

• Premium King Sea View

I did not like that other guests were allowed to smoke during breakfast. The towels were clean but they could do with new ones. Also there was no body lotion and no slippers.

the staff were very helpful .

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Standard King City View

They had no airconditioning giving the reason that they disconnect the airconditioning in winter. We were perspiring in the daytime and by opening the windows it got hotter due to the sun. We had to check out and they forced us to pay a penalty for early check out. Overall a negative experience besides the discomfort of having to find another hotel. We would be happy to have a refund from you for that first horrible day/ night

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Standard King City View

- Bad customer service with aggressive reception . - they didn't call me for wakeup call and the excuses was too silly ( the coworker didn't tell the next worker) I almost missed my flight . - Bed sheets burned by cigarettes.

only Location.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

• Standard King City View

I stayed for 9 days and they didn't even want to give me a late check out! When a guest stays that long there should be courteous enough to at least give a late check out- and I only asked until 1:30!

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

• Standard Twin City View

They have only one central AC which couldn't be controlled from the room. They turn it on cold and heat for whole upon the time of the year only. Bad smell in the toilet.

Staff Location

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Premium King Sea View

I spent the first night in a smelly and dusty room, but this was fixed the following morning and I was moved to another room. Rooms and especially bathrooms would deserve a serious design upgrade given the location of the hotel. The minibar was empty.

Premium and extremely safe location, welcoming and dedicated staff, views over Zaitunay Bay Marina and the Mediterranean. Service and procedures could be improved, but the staff is always willing to help, so if there is a problem, one just needs to ask.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Premium King Sea View

This hotel and the service associated with the staffing is very commercially driven. Service comes last, telephone in the room is outdated, does not work properly. The light stands near the beds were not functional, room service not adequate. Reception was not helpful or responsive and cared less about customer service.

Location is about the only good thing about this property. The reception was a horrible experience and not customer friendly. Lacked professionalism, attitude, courtesy, and appearance.

• Standard King City View

Check in time very was 3 and check out was 12? Very late check in and very late check out

Amazing location. Robert the luggage carrier is very helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Standard Twin City View

-Towels in bathroom weren't very clean and didn't smell good. -Flipflops needed in room

location is ideal, walking distance to Zeytouna bay, Aswak Beirut and max 15min by car to Achrafeya district.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Standard King City View

Wi-Fi connectivity was bad! You need to go down every day to the reception to enter the credentials, That was disturbing.

The overall experience was good, Very welcoming Staff, That was what i liked the most!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Standard Twin City View

One female receptionist was talking rude and has attitude problem. She should be trained to have manners and doesn't deserves to work in such nice hotel.

The location is great! Walking distance to Zaituna bay and 15 min walk to Downtown. The hotel is nice and simple the wifi is good too. Male receptionist were polite.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Standard King City View

The girl at the reception is extremely unfriendly. The lift doesn't go to the basement (blocked). It is forbidden to use an Iron in the room. Breakfast is expensive.

Centrally located, ideal if you're spending an evening at AWTAR restaurant located at the basement of the hotel. Also situated near Zeituna bay, Phoenicia hotel and Restaurants in Biel, Ain el Mreiseh. There is a kettle with coffee and tea.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

• Standard King City View

They dont check the expiry date of their food and drinks. The cleaning service is bad they didnt clean the bathroom.

The view is great. The decoration and the location.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Premium King Sea View

To be honest the breakfast was nothing special and a bit tasteless. It is not the wow Lebanese breakfast.

I recently visited Beirut with my Boyfriend and our stay in the hotel was perfect. The staff were very nice and friendly. The room was comfortable, the location was at the city centre and next to Zaytoni Bay. What I really really liked is that we were two guys staying in a king bed room and no one questioned nor looked at us wiredly like in Dubi and Istanbul. When I visit Beirut next I will for sure stay there again.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Standard King City View

the staff are very rude if you did not tip them especially the valet parking people. the rooms hygiene is terrible specifically the bathrooms where the smell is not nice and you can see hair on the ground. the rooms smell smoke and the AC doesnt work properly.

the location is nice next to the downtown and the seaside.

• Standard King City View

The first day of arrival they said they will extend my booking at a lower rate and when I had to make the reservation the price was almost double. I also got fever and there was no thermometer in the whole hotel. Do not get ill during your stay, there is no basic medical support...

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Premium King Sea View

Great value for money. Amazing location. I was upgraded to suite 916 with an amazing sea view which was a fantastic surprise. The staff were super friendly and the suite was perfect and spacious with a comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was also spacious and the walk in shower perfect. I didn't try the breakfast so I cannot comment on it. Overall I would definitely come back as this hotel has left a very positive impression on me.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Standard King City View

The staff were rude and unprofessional, they woke us up at 1:30 AM as my car hadn't moved for +24hrs... They got scared and didn't bother to apologize nor compensate our discomfort

The location is the only good thing about this hotel

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Premium King Sea View

Too expensive with so many restrictions, no free parking, pool drained out, no working a/c in corridors. Limited room facilities: mini-bar fridge not working (even after tech. tried to fix), min-bar was empty when we checked in, no food menu in room, outdated guide in room (claiming 24 hours service, when it is only till 11pm!), telephone in room was not working, no iron/board, no mirror, limited TV channels (with very low quality viewing), internet service not great. Some staff where quite unfriendly.

The location is probably the best possible advantage this hotel has.

• Standard King City View

Bathroom, small old Carpet in the room

Everything and stuff

• Standard King City View

Arrived at 3:40 PM was expecting to find my room ready but unfortunately, I had to wait until 4:20 PM to get my room

• Standard King City View

They should ask if we want the seaside rooms and the other rooms should be cheaper

I liked the location

• Standard Twin City View

the shower has no bars on the wall to hold on

• Standard King City View

Expensive comparison to what they deliver

Location is perfect

• Standard Twin City View

the service of the hotel very bad when i was in the room i called recebtion more than 10 times no body answer

Breacfast

Food is so bad

• Standard King City View

The location and the cleanliness of the place ❤️

Fascilities were poor

Service bad

• Premium King Sea View

The rooms smelled of smoke and toilet was not working. Staff were not welcoming when we complained

• Deluxe King Partial Sea View

I couldnt sleep bec they have maintenance

The breakfast “foul” :D was so Tasty

• Premium King Sea View

Bad internet, no CNN or BBC, annoying sweet smell in public areas.

Construction works Empty indoor pool

Location Price

• Standard Twin City View

There are renovating so I cld not have a room with sea view. but it’s temporary so it’s ok

The location is good situated!

• Standard King City View

The location of the hotel is more than perfect.

• Standard King City View

breakfast choice no gym level of cleaning wifi

position

• Premium King Sea View

Cleaningless of the room No iron inside the rooms

was good enough

Location is very good best location in Beirut

Bad smell in the bathroom

Receptionist, staff, location

Beds, sheets and pillows

Location, friendly staff

So used

• Standard King City View

Bad service Limited facilities Hotel inside is old and need refurbishing

Bed is comfy

• Standard King City View

nothing is free even wifi should be paid and mini bar was empty

• Premium King Sea View

It’s close to Beirut souq and it’s facing the sea