Reviews of Airport Hotel Mara 3 stars

Kalnciema iela 186, Rīga, LV-1046, Latvia

#90 of 153 hotels in Rīga

• Standard Twin Room

It would have been nice to have natural yogurt at breakfast and maybe some nuts, seeds, dried fruit , oats and bananas. However maybe very few people eat this and a hotel must cater for the majority. Only 2 black teabags and a peppermint in the room - perhaps a green tea or selection as provided in the breakfast area would have been nice along with a small milk pod for the black tea. Tiny details here - it was a lovely hotel.

We were only there from midnight till check out the next day. This hotel has everything you need for an overnight stay from the airport. It was easy to get to using the number 22 bus from the airport , getting off a short walk from the hotel. The room was very comfortable, clean and quiet. Staff were very polite and friendly. The breakfast was simple but good in the traditional way with eggs, meat, cheese, fruit and bread, cereal and fruit yogurt.

Just confusion on the bedding.... the bottom sheet seems to cover a mattress cover yet the blanket seems to be sheet and blanket, yet I don't see these huge blankets going into the laundry. How is one supposed to sleep in this bed?

The Front Desk assistance for retrieving my rental car "kila" was over and above what I would have expected. I thank Reception for what I had deemed a lost ffort. I also thank Reception for hints on dealing directly with Hotel Mara for added savings when booking.

• Standard Twin Room

The stairways as there is no elevator

Close to the airport and did not expect as nice a hotel as it was. They packed a breakfast pack for us since we were catching a super early flight— very appreciated

• Standard Twin Room

Despite the fact that the hotel offers the organization of transport from the airport, double requests sended for the organization of such a journey were left without response. In the Hotel at reception desk they clarified me that something went wrong because they are usually answering the emails. They clarifed me additionally that in fact they are ordering a simple taxis. Besides that, on the breakfast (very poor actually a bit in american style) spoiled orange juice were served.

• Standard Twin Room

Clean, spacious room and very nice staff. We were leaving early morning so staff prepared a lunch box for us. Close to the airport, literally walking distance.

• Standard Twin Room

Due to off season there was lack of staff. Almost entire time didn’t see no one from staff, especially during breakfast.

Very convenient location just 1 km from airport. Room was very nice and comfortable, twin beds were big enough. Quiet and cozy. Outside was also lovely, big yard, free parking and swing for children.

• Standard Twin Room

I walked there from the airport, and for that it was a bit too far (in this weather) along a major road, while it seemed too close for a taxi ride. There's a bus stop next to it, though.

Comfortable, renovated hotel not far from the airport. Peaceful and all things worked. Good internet. The restaurant served me even though they had closed already as it was almost midnight when I arrived.

The hotel is close to the airport and they offer a shuttle service, we left before breakfast and the hotel made us up a breakfast bag which was very much appreciated, the hotel is very clean and the staff speak very good English and are very friendly I would definitely recommend this hotel.

2 km from the airport is not exactly "airport hotel" especially if you need to take a taxi since the first bus doesn't come early enough.

• Standard Twin Room

This hotel is well located if you need something close to the airport for an early morning flight out. Everything is well presented and we had a delicious meal in the restaurant that exceeded our expectations. The staff are very helpful.

Nothing really. Nice place

Location is perfect for traveling as I needed a place close to the airport and it is only a couple minutes away. The staff was very helpful. Room is exceptionally clean. The bed was good, but would prefer a little softer. But some people like firm beds. The restaurants food was delicious and a nice atmosphere in the dining room. I have stayed here 4 times now and hope to stay here again.

• Standard Twin Room

Perfect location to stay overnight waiting for the transit flight. taxi cost 4-5euro one way only, 3-5 min ride. we arrived late and departed early, everything went alright and we took our breakfasts with us as we had to depart early. thank you

• Superior Family Room

Rooms was gold, specially the separate room, it was very gold there. Information about the breakfast wasnt right, we were told breakfast is until 10.00am but acually it was until 11.30am. Because of that we werent go to eat because we waked up 10.00am and knew that we cant get breakfast anymore.

Room was big and nice! We liked food what we ate in hotel restaurant, its was well done, good taste.

• Standard Twin Room

Only complaint was a mix up with the shuttle that left us waiting for over 20 minutes.

Friendly staff, close to airport for am overnight layover, good restaurant and breakfast.

• Standard Twin Room

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. My neighbors were a bit noisy so I asked if it would be possible to get another room. There was no question about it - I was given a choice between 3 other rooms and moved there. The other room was quiet, excellent for sleeping and working. I am so thankful to staff...! The staff also gave advise how I must drive to airport etc. Hotel is only 5 minutes from the airport.

• Standard Twin Room

Location great very convenient to get to and from the Airport. Staff very helpful. Thanks would recommend to anyone staying in Riga., who wants to be very close to Airport.

• Standard Twin Room

Driving to the airport is a bit difficult because it's not so well signed. Airport is near but to get there you have to make a U-turn, which could be better signed. If you drive with a car from the hotel to the airport first time from this hotel, it is recommended to take a bit more time for that.

Close to the airport. If needed to go on a plane in the morning, recommend definitely the hotel. Rooms are clean and cozy, personnel is nice and speaks fluent English. Even during the night it was possible to have a soup.

• Standard Twin Room

I couldn't figure out the heater in the bathroom, but I left the door open and the heat from the bedroom warmed it up.

This was a lovely hotel! I had read a few reviews that made it sound very basic and "minimal" and said "don't stay more than one night," so I was surprised to find that it was delightful. The room was pretty and clean, the bathroom shower was fantastic, the front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the restaurant made me a beautiful salad even though it wasn't on their menu. The gift shop had the essentials I needed (my luggage had been delayed), and the TV had many channel options. The grounds were very lovely as well. I highly recommend it! Five minutes from the airport and such a great price.

• Standard Twin Room

Haven't been there for ages so I can't say it's declining anymore... it seems to have stopped there half way down an stays like this. Quiet derelict place. Soundproofing (or rather lack of it) between floors can be of a bad surprise, especially if upper floor guest leaves very early in the morning and runs around a bit before. Breakfast is just okay. The toilet is a bit uncomfortable an oh and there was no toilet brush, so no. 2 leaves a bit of... clogging?

Location is good and it's a rather quiet place

• Standard Twin Room

The chef walked out of the hotel after a complaint about the quality of food/service, leaving 10 diners without a meal! We were forced to get in a taxi and roam the neighbourhood at 9pm for a restaurant that was open.

not much

• Standard Twin Room

The was nothing negative for us.

The location for us was ideal as we needed to be close to the airport. The hotel arranged our taxi to and from the airport. Friendly staff.

• Standard Twin Room

There were cigarette smoke inside the bathroom all the time. The staff and hotel executive was rude and unprofessional. It's unhealthy place not dedicated for normal travelers.

• Standard Twin Room

The service at the front desk. The girl was extremely rude at sometimes Although she was helpful in getting boarding passes printed which was appreciated. I would also like to have seen a coffee machine in a public area And there was no coffee in the room.

Only slept there. Everything fine

• Standard Twin Room

Close to the airport, but you do have to get a taxi or order hotel shuttle service in any case. Maybe it would be great idea for hotel to organise shuttle service, otherwise it is little bit expensive.

Great and helpful staff, clean and spacious rooms. Quiet, it were important for me, had an early flight. It is close to the airport, no traffic issues, I have relaxed longer

• Standard Twin Room

I didn't like food at the Hotel's restaurant. I ordered pork chops for dinner and it tasted as if they were cooked several days ago and just wormed up in the microwave before serving.

It is very hard to find this Hotel if you are driving a car yourself, because there are no signs around which would show you any kind of direction. I had to hire a taxi and fallow it.

• Standard Twin Room

there was only one swing in the garden, a nightmare When travelling Alone with 2 5 year olds.

Nice and quiet at breakfast, so no stress when the kids were messing about.

• Superior Family Room

There was no soap or shampoo or any toillettery in the bathroom The bed had no cover sheet. We slept directly with the blanket on us

The Person in charge in the evening was not friendly or welcoming she was barely talking to us. The one in the morning was really nice.

• Standard Twin Room

Bed, Restaurant, Food - willingness of staff to understand English.

Very bad breakfast. Lower than ordinary. Restaurant accepted orders in the evening and then returned after 40 minutes and cancelled.

• Standard Twin Room

It seemed to be run for the benefit of the staff. We waited 5 minutes for someone to appear at reception. We weren't allowed a room on the upper floor as they were being cleaned (at 5pm!). The door to the breakfast room was propped open so we could hear the hoovering while we had breakfast - after we had closed it. The airport shuttle we arranged had not been ordered. Not major problems, just a series of niggles.

Just what you expect from a chain, business hotel.

• Standard Twin Room

It took over an hour to receive our dinner meals and then they were served 1 meal at a time for our party of 5. floor made squeaking noise when walking

clean rooms

• Standard Twin Room

Reception staff wasn't very friendly and welcoming. That's really the only slightly negative thing I can think of.

Nice bar and excellent breakfast. Ideal place if you arrive on a late evening flight into Riga and just want to relax.

• Standard Twin Room

Understaffed. Toilet in the room broke down.

Svetlana on reception was Superwoman, on the evening we were there (1 July 2017) she ran the hotel brilliantly, singlehanded apart from the cooking, all the time with a friendly smile.

• Standard Twin Room

A great hotel. We have been met in the hotel very kindly, despite very late arrival from Riga airport. My wife and I are especially grateful for the attention of the administrator and the restaurant's service in the late evening. We had a good rest in confortable and clean room. In the morning we had a very good breakfast, everywhere - very clean, cosy. Very tidy and beautiful hotel environment, especially comfortable and good location. Sincerely, thank you, until the next time.

• Standard Twin Room

Very noisy. I had a room quite close to the reception and restaurant. Felt like I was sleeping in the middle of the corridor just next to those people who had this loud conversation at 1 am in the lobby. At 5am breakfast preparation started, again with heavy noise. I asked a take away breakfast (I told I have to leave 6.30 latest). I left the hotel at 6.32, no breakfast and nobody to ask.

Great location to get a early flight. Nice room with a bath. Enough parking places.

• Standard Twin Room

One needs to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel as there is no other transfer available. Since the distance is pretty short (but too long to walk), the tax driver was clearly unhappy with this and his body language also clearly communicated his feelings.

The hotel is close to the airport, which helps when the departure time is 6.30 am

• Standard Twin Room

the pillow cases were soiled/stained and apple given for breakfast was stale. Had to lift suitcase up flight of stairs as there is no lift

the bed was comfortable and the room clean

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room

It was hard to get to the hotel by car and it was not super close to the airport. Super thin walls. We could hear the noise from the room above us. Not a good hotel for the light sleepers. Also, check in paperwork was a little too much for that type of the hotel.

Standard hotel from the 90's. It was ok.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room

The smell when I entered the room (came from the bathroom), I opened the windows for a lot of fresh air and put the bucked on the drain well.

Good location according to the airport, good breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Latvian service mentality, which unfortunately looks like covering also younger generation: - Every single morning something was missing in breakfast and personnel do not take care of it independently, but you as a client needed to remind them. For example once there wasn´t clean forks and coffee cups and I reminded personnel, which soon brought clean forks and coffee cups, but did not "notice" that orange- and apple juice containers are empty as well as some food is not available. Well, another client went to remind about juices and so on. Looks like most of the personnel (except that one wonderful waitress) are not spontaneous at all, but every single action of theirs should be supervised and orders given before anything happens. This added with poor service attitude should ring a bell and seriously start to train their personnel better. - One bulb was broken in my room and I informed reception about that in the following morning. Receptionist promised that it will be fixed during the day, but take a wild guess was it?

- Large, free parking place - Latvian hospitality - Waitress in their restaurant, she is a gem with service attitude

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Somewhat pricy.

Works fine when you need to be close to the airport. It's a place to sleep. Friendly staff. Possibility to get a breakfast bag when you have to leave early.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room with airport transfer

I kept asking questions from the guy at reception and at one point I felt uncomfortable asking more because it appeared as though I was annoying him. When we returned in the evening, we smiled at him as we passed and he just stared at us with a blank face.

The size of the room was very nice and comfortable. The internet was nice and fast in the room. The reception helped me with getting a taxi to Livu Aquapark.

• Standard Twin Room

There was a party on a saturday night and we were given the room on the same floor as the restaurant the party was in. Noise lasted until midnight (including cleaning). The bed was a bit too soft. Products in the lobby shop were expensive.

The room was clean and the furniture not too old. Breakfast in the hotels restaurant was very basic. Receptionist spoke good English. Only two stops from the airport by bus 22. Cheap room-service menu. Good Wi-Fi.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Standard Twin Room

I had a very early flight so stayed here,its so close to the airport. The staff were super helpful in the reception and restaurant. I only had one night but as I go to Latvia quite often I will definitely be using this hotel again. Thank you Hotel Mara see you soon

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Scant few amenities in the bathroom. Did not want to unpack toiletries but had to. Quick access to the airport for early morning flights. Front desk receptionist/waitress/cook? appeared to be all one person - give her a raise!

Room was clean. Restaurant offered good food price was questionable.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Was a little distant from the main city (as it's very close to the airport) but was definitely worth the effort to explore the city in the little time that I had.

Nice quick stay, for a layover before my flight. Fun, helpful staff. There was a beautiful layer of snow around the place when I arrived. Really magical

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel shuttlebus wasn't available therefore I needed to book a taxi. The garlic bread for starters is unusual. It would appeal to a Baltic food lover, but alas not me. It's a local delicacy, thin strips of dark rye bread, fried until hard in garlic butter with cheese over the top. Rest of the meal was great.

Clean. well organised and very helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Good location, not so far from center (15-20 minutes walk to Opera; 5 minutes by tram). Also very close from train station, so its easy to get from the airport and back - we didn't know about free transfer(( Belveder Park is just round the corner. Staff is very hospitable, no problems with early check-in. Rooms are clean. It was nice to have free fruits/snacks and water downstairs.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

• Superior Family Room

The staff attitude and attention. The room and food.

Our room was perfect for a family stay. Staff members are all lovely and welcoming and that was the reason why I booked the room at your hotel as on the phone the reception staff was absolutely welcoming and lovely.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Standard Twin Room

While the bus goes right past the hotel, the bus going in the direction of the airport is difficult to access due to the highway location. Booking a taxi when going in airport direction is recommended.

Staff was fantastic - Svetlana especially was helpful, friendly, and proactive. Food in restaurant is reasonably priced and tasty. The room was spacious and comfortable, with a very large washroom.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Typically British maybe but the breakfast was only tepid at best ... but had toasties with the cheese and ham.

Fab comfy beds .. great friendly staff at this small hotel. Maxima food store only a short walk away.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• Superior Family Room

10am I know is a reasonable time to finish breakfast.... but if cereal or something was available later and a coffee that would be fab!

Very close to the airport and very quiet and comfortable. Check out was12, so after arriving after midnight with 3 kids we didn't set alarms and woke very comfortably at 11am! Black curtains were fantastic for a good sleep in!

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The bedroom was cold when I arrived with radiator turned off. It could have been warmed prior to me arrival. The hotel offered tea/coffee making but although several types of tea were there, no coffee or milk/creamer was provided.

Bed was very comfortable, early breakfast 5.45 was great for an early flight.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Could hear very loud footsteps in the middle of night. It's a great warm wooden house but that has it's minuses.

Awesome very helpfull stuff, big rooms. Obviously, owners are very fond of place they run. Nice buffet breakfast as well.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Early flight, breakfast was packaged and waiting for us at checkout. Spacious room, comfortable bed. Appreciated hot water kettle, could make coffee before departing.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room

2 bus stops from airport (3 minutes). Grate facilities for money paid. In the early morning you can pay only 5 euro for shuttle bus on 5:30 or take a city bus #22 on 5:40 for 2 euro.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Nothing. You simply cannot expect more from the airport hotel.

Price was lover than average - possibly because of the late booking. Big and quiet room, 3 minutes ride from the airport (take a taxi!), nice breakfast ready at 5:30AM. Restaurant and bar are open pretty late.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

A peaceful hotel very close to Riga airport. Friendly and English-speaking staff. Excellent breakfast, perfect wifi and safe guarded parking. Very good onsite restaurant.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room with airport transfer

My room is at the ground floor, so it was very noisy. I can hear everybody talking in the lobby when I'm in my room. I kept my bathroom fan on to create some ambient noisy to help me sleep

Super close to the airport, with shuttle service in the wee morning. Very close to a bus stop as well, so save a lot of money from calling a taxi to get there.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room with airport transfer

Bed was okay but could be improved.

Sublime staff. Great welcome, spacious room. Had an early morning flight, shuttle brought us to yhe sirport and even got a small bag with breakfast items.

• Standard Double or Twin Room with airport transfer

Layers of dust on furniture, left overs of previous guests, cushions were not clean, on arrival staff member was not very welcoming

Conveniently close to the airport

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Standard Single Room

very noisy. i heard every movement from other rooms, shower is not working - they try to save a water, but the efect is, that you can not even have a shower at all and it drives you crazy, toilet was broken, i fixed that myself

very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Strange to see oldish American bathroom fixtures though!

Very eager to be helpful on checkin - offering a packed breakfast because of early departure. Comfortable and quiet.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Superior Family Room

I would appreciate better shower in our family room. The water came hot and cold, but more cold.

We got a family room, which was very nice and spacy. But the bathroom, especially the shower, was from old times. The location of hotel is great, close to airport and to a highway, city center is reachable by car. The hotel restaurant is welcoming and the breakfast was absolutely ok (you can choose from sweet to English breakfast). The hotel fulfil Best Western hotels qualities.

• Reviewed: 5 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Walls are very thin. Be prepared to have some noise from the rooms beside or (in our case) above yours.

Good location if you have an early flight out of Riga airport.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

We had a terrible flight delay with an unexpected stay in Riga. They were there to pick us up almost immediately (at 11:30pm) and they greeted us at the hotel with milk and cookies.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

This is a common problem in many places in Latvia, also in post-soviet countries. Many bar staff (females) are always aggressive, not giving positive emotions. Their face expression is like I want to kill you why are you making me work. Not a even a small smile is given. Yes, we got our drinks, we got our service, but we regret that we asked that drinks and service.

price, cleanliness, everything except bar staff at night.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room with airport transfer

Room was very hot and the beds were quite small for two people.

Shuttle service for 5 euro to and from the hotel, kind staff, wake up call helpful. Good place for a quick overnight layover.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Standard Single Room

The location is perfect if your staying to rest and catch a flight. The staff was really nice and as my flight was really early they packed my breakfast which was a plus.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

to be aware taht the last bus from city centre leaves before 11 pm / we didnt know that.

The quitness of the place, which is vefry appreciable, after the agitation of the main city centre

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

At 1.00 AM in my room came people who got the same room as mine, when I call to recepetion the girl said me that I should left the room at night, but my fligth is at 5.00 AM. It was very sadness that why is very big minus to staff, I don't recieve any appologize for this situation.

Bed was comfortable, room was very nice and clean.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

A charge of €5 to be taken to the airport seemed unnecessary. A free shuttle to the airport would make this motel my first choice.

The room was very quiet and clean. Bed very comfortable

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Superior Family Room

The hotel does not have air conditioning (although unless it is very hot, the room is quite comfortable with the windows open and they provide fans). It is not close to old town or anything else within walking distance.

The location near the airport is very convenient, especially with the available airport shuttle (only costs 5 Euros!). The staff is friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. Definitely a good place to stay when you have a flight the next morning.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Superior Family Room

Can't think of anything I didn't like.

Very close from the airport, small but has everything we needed, nice food at the restaurant, the breakfast to go was very convenient, shuttle to the airport was also very convenient.

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Standard Twin Room

We checked in around 10 PM and asked whether the lounge bar is open. The answer was yes, so we dropped our baggage and went there. We sat down at a table as the only guests there, while the staff members were chatting on the bar. After few minutes of staring at us, she yelled that she will only serve us at the bar. It was kind of weird from her. Don't want to judge the whole hotel based on this, but it was an unpleasant experience.

The hotel is really nice and one of the staff was very helpful. The second person from the hotel wasn't very nice. Location is great due to being close to the airport (no noise noticed during our stay). Taxi to the city centre was 10-15€.

Stayed in May 2016