Reviews of Historical Ekes Konvents 1435 Hotel 4 stars

Skārņu iela 22, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia

#54 of 153 hotels in Rīga

Staircases were a bit steep. No cups at the water cooler. Could have done with a chair or two in the room.

Nice, quirky hotel with lots of character. Very helpful staff.

No hot water for two out of three evenings. WiFi was terrible, weak signal. Breakfast was cold and unappealing.

Location is great for exploring old town

• Small Double Room

Pillows...Take your own with you :) The room was so small that when we opened the door it hit the bed :)

The location is absolutely perfect! And the hotel is different than we were used to but that was good. Staff was friendly.

Quickly found that Riga on a Saturday night is not somewhere to be if you need to sleep and the flip side to the location of this property was the noise. There was no protection so recommend a good pair of ear plugs.

Located in an old convent, this hotel was always going to be a bit quirky. Not much to the rooms but they were comfortable enough and the location was perfect for doing a quick tourist excursion around the town. Also well located next to restaurants and bars.

No air conditioning, making my room very hot some nights.

Excellent location right next to St. Peter’s, and close to other sites in Riga. Staff was excellent and friendly, and the hotel was very clean.

• Small Double Room

Our room was very small. There is just basic furniture: a bed, a wardrobe, two nightstands with night lamps on them, and a TV set on the wall. Really nothing else. The place to shower is so small one could hardly stay upright. The same is valid for the height of staircase. No lift of course. The WiFi signal reminds the Middle Ages of the Internet also. The page loads for a couple of seconds and sometimes slower. It was noisy until midnight. The restaurants are below the windows and soundproofing was not invented when they were made. Another disadvantage of living in the Old town is: it is difficult to roll your luggage on cobbled streets. It's manageable for one night, but a longer stay will be a challenge.

The hotel is located in the heart of the Old City Riga. If you like to feel like in Middle Ages - that's your place. The staff is very friendly and supportive.

No communal area to relax. Room lacked adequate comfortable seating. Did have small table and metal chairs.

Characterful building. The room was a good size being both quiet and private also cool and away from traffic at the side of the property.

The location was great, the room comfortable and the bathroom clean with new towels daily. The staff were very helpful. Breakfast was good and it was served in a beautifully decorated restaurant

• Small Double Room

Lovely quaint hotel, ideal location in the centre of the Old Town. Very friendly and helpful staff. As we were leaving early on our departure day we were provided with a packed breakfast which was greatly appreciated. Would definitely recommend as an ideal place to stay for a few days.

Before I check-in,I've receive cellphone message tell me that my credict card has been charge 21.56 Euro on 29/APRIL and 79.82 Euro on 30/APRIl.on 6/MAY,I asked the staff about credit card charge,he checked and make a call,and then,he told me that the hotel not charge my room rate from credit card.So I paid 101.38 cash to him.But now,I receive bank statement,the hotel has really charge room rate from my credit card!!!So,I make double charge!!!How could you?!

The bed was uncomfortable and noisy. The bathroom was in need of an update.

Great location in the heart of the old town. Nice old building. Good breakfast. The staff lent us a kettle to make tea in our room.

The room was very small and while it was pretty comfortable, I didn't think the facilities were really 4 stars level. Not sure why it's listed as 4 stars on booking.com.

We enjoyed the excellent location and the old building turned into a hotel.

The bathroom was small, but clean. No desk, nothing to put the suitcase on. There's no lift, a rather steep and winding staircase.

The quiet location in the heart of the city next to the St. Petrus Church. It's a historical hotel, appropiately renovated with the wooden staircase. The decoration of the room, colour of the painting on the wall. The breakfast was served in the restaurant next door.

The service desk didnt know if i am charged from booking or directly. Asked me for money and even when. I got notification from my credit card that the transaction completed the didnt saw it The credit card terminal didnt work and ive been asked for cash

Bed was horribly squeaky & very limited breakfast. The card machine wasn’t working so had to pay in cash.

Location was brilliant. Good value for money.

We were told after arriving in Riga that the card machine wasn't working & we would have to pay cash on check in, which was ok as we had enough cash, but might have been an issue otherwise. The shower was powerful, but constantly ran from hot to cold so we couldn't stand under it for more than 30 seconds at a time until the temperature adjusted again, but maybe to be expected in a very old building. The breakfast was a very basic cold buffet - no hot food & with all the pastries we saw in the market, bakeries & cafes it was a disappointment not to have any at breakfast. We could see there would be potential for noise outside in busier months, but it wasn't an issue for us. The blind/curtains are very thin so take an eye mask if that would bother you.

Perfect location (easy walking distance from everything) & we had a view of St Peters Church from our room, which was lovely. The staff on reception were nice & we were able to leave our bags before & after check in/out. The building is filled with historic charm. Our room was basic but fine & had all we needed. The location, view & character definitely outweighed any negatives! It was very cold outside but our room was warm enough & there was an electric radiator provided which we used overnight to take off the morning chill as there was a bit of a draft by the window when the blind was opened. We really enjoyed our stay!

The WiFi was not working and it was freezing inside our room. There’s no elevator for those with huge luggages.

I like the location, very near restaurants and is in the old town. The hotel is small and with an old air which is unique to it.

breakfast...little more choice possibly...ie yoghurt, juice and then Tea/Coffee facility in room would have been basic but nice touch.

location excellent, hotel full of character, great value, friendly staff... room cleaned fresh towels each day.

Service is ok, but more like a youth hostel, not a 4 star hotel. Breakfast was served from 9 till 11, came at 10:30, was served something that wouldn't pass for prison food. Completely unacceptable.

Great location, nice atmosphere. Spotless shower.

I really enjoyed the the vibe of the hotel, the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and overall the price was a great deal, considering I booked it super last minute.

make sure you know the size of the bed....

Location is perfect if you need to catch a bus or a train or reach the airport by bus. Also perfect because in the middle of the old town

• Small Double Room

Those breakfast pancakes were really cold.

The majority of photos and reviews are just right. The historical atmosphere, great location, good price. Breakfast is good (first of all, because it's included): cornflakes, boiled eggs, cheese and sausage, bread, pancakes, some fruits and vegetables. * there is a Museum of Decorative Arts and Design just on the same street, good option for a rainy day * EasyBeer, Bon Vivant and KwakInn nearby can be interesting for good beer adepts

Breakfast needs more attending to. The breakfast room is very nice but the breakfast needs more variety and imagination (and fresh bread!).

Can't beat the location. Quaint hotel, ideal for a short break. Would come again.

The bed had a squeak that was far beyond acceptable. Reported to the reception who had no interest in resolving the problem. Sleep was virtually impossible. The breakfast was completely unacceptable. Boiled eggs were ice cold and well undercooked. More than 1 cup of coffee was a challenge. Very limited selection of food. No fruit juice - old milk for the cornflakes and water. I get the feeling that Booking.com customers get allocated the 2nd grade rooms. When checking in told that I had to pay cash for the stay despite the fact that full payment had already surprisingly been taken 1 month before on my credit card.

Location, very well situated in the old town

It is a very old historical building so my expectations level was set very low yet I was very disappointed. Felt like everything is falling apart, things broken, cracks in the wall, but on top of that room wasn’t clean, dust everywhere. I actually left hotel after an hour or so and quickly booked another hotel for the night. Receptionist wasn’t too interested seeing me checking out so quickly.

Location was perfect

Breakfasts could be better - as a vegetarian I had a rather poor selection of food at my disposal. It was disappointing, especially considering the ubiquity of great food in every price range available in Riga...

It is a charming hotel located in the former cloister, I suppose, which contributes to its distinctive character. Definitely, I'll keep very nice memories of this place and I hope to come back at some point. Also, the hotel is rather quiet despite being located right in the historical centre.

Because the hotel is right in the old town, it can get very noisy at night with passing revellers. I would say earplugs are a must, or try to request a room at the back of the hotel if possible. (I am a light sleeper though). Breakfast is in a restaurant next door, and if you arrive a little on the later side, the choice of fruit/bread etc can be limited. (However the omelettes were A1!).

Really good location right in the Riga Old Town. The hotel is an old converted convent, so the rooms have an old authentic feel to them. Basic in terms of furnishings, but spotlessly clean. Helpful young people on reception also. Something to note is that you can't travel directly to the door in a taxi as there is no cars allowed in the old town - but taxi can drop you within 1 min of the door.

I didn't realize that there were so many pubs in the old town. There was noise the entire night, bring earplugs! The time of the breakfast (09:00-11:00) was not convenient if you needed to get up early like me. I had to skip breakfast twice. There are enough breakfast options around town, for example Perons Nr. 1 in the Central Market (meat hall).

The hotel is right in the middle of the old town and close to the airport shuttlebus, the train station and central market. My room looked out on the St. Peters Church; I slept with my curtains open so I could see it when I woke up. There are really nice restaurants nearby, like Folkklubs ALA Pagrabs, and I also liked the cocktailbar Ezītis Miglā on the other side of the church.

Not good for a peaceful sleep, especially during weekends - you have crowds and musicians in the street till the morning. Thanks to the walls, you do not hear neighbors, but all the street sounds are in your room - so, there is no good sleep. The room is really minimalist - very small and did not have a chair and/table, neither space for them. Wall niches serve shelves. Bathroom did not have any shelf for cosmetics, etc. A tall person could have a problem in the shower. Mattress was ok, albeit squeaky :), but pillows were a joke. Breakfast starts only at 9.00 on weekdays - you loose much time in the morning. We did not know that and went to breakfast at 8.30 - personnel gave us breakfast coupons without warning that we are leaving in vain.

The hotel is for those who hate chain hotels :). Location is perfect for walking to almost every sight and restaurant. Breakfast, although served in the restaurant next door, is enough, but you have to ask for you tea and coffee and juice... Hot breakfast is prepared to order - tasted good, but may take time.

I think they'd missed our booking (the guy at the front desk made a couple of phone calls with a look of confusion when we arrived) but they soon sorted it out

Lovely building in a great location

I asked for slippers but there were none.

Location is amassing - right in the heart of the old town, next to S. Peters basilica and Jana basnica, where I attended a concert of organ and a brilliant singer Olga Pjatigorskaja, I also went to Porcelan museum which is nearby. Love Riga!

• Small Double Room

This is a very nice friendly and convenient small hotel near the centre of the old city quiet at night and breakfast including omelette is included. You can also eat lunch or evening meal there and there are many other restaurants nearby.

The roadside facade of the hotel is sometimes noisy during the night. But it is normal in such a central pedestrian area of a capital.

The breakfast was wonderful, also the personal of the Hotel Ekes Konvents.

the lights in the room are dimmed and also the shower is not very good, the water was overflowing on the floor and also it was changing from cold to hot

Extremely friendly and helpful staff, delicious breakfast!!!

Rooms are small and cramped. Difficult to carry luggage to upper floors as stairs are narrow and steep. Front desk staff not very helpful on early check-in and other issues. Small, uncomfortable pillows.

Rooms are small and spartan with a tiny bathroom and no fridge or kettle (hot water is available on the landing). There is a narrow steep staircase and no lift. We had help from male staff members with our cases.

Location right in the Old Town. The staff appear to all be students at the university. They were very helpful and interesting to talk to about their country.

Reception area should be upgraded and stairs are scary especially with bags.

Situated in the "old town"area within walking distance to all the sites.

might not be a perfect place for a light sleeper as it's on one of the main city squares

Great location and pleasant staff. A cozy building with evident history. beautiful view through the window

• Small Double Room

the team at the reception was helpful and super there was a beautiful young lady that was super nice and very kind-i forgot her name this makes the different the location was 10.super .also nice and very good breakfast

Great location right near all the historical buildings. You can walk to the castle and the old church in just a few steps. There is a great cafe with yummy pastries just down the road. The staff was really friendly. It was easy to check in and the apartment is really nice for the price!

• Small Double Room

Lovely cute little hotel in Riga's old town. Everything was within easy reach, including the airport bus, and despite being right in the heart of the old town it was lovely and quiet. Breakfast was nice. Room was clean and nicely decorated.

breakfast is so so, but it is not served this hotel. You have to walk about 100m, and that other hotel have been crowded all the time.

Cozy, clean and beautiful room with character. There is no elevator, and stair's narrow although it was not a problem in my case. Perfect location and unique style make up for little inconvinience.

Building is Very historical, but hotel could do new shower in the room, floor , bad and do something with creaking walls. Shower has broken doors (it is like shower cabine). Was strange smell in the room. Hard to explain what was it bat not good smell))

Good breakfast but near the hotel, not in tha same building. Great location, right in the center

• Small Double Room

There is no elevator, and the stairs are steep, the bathroom is mini, the bed too (save for a loving couple!). And the rooms are loud, but this is due to the shouting tourist groups at night.

The situation of the hotel is ideal - walking distance to practically everything. The staff is extremely friendly, the house has very much character. Breakfast is excellent although you must leave the house to get it.

The bed wasn't the most comfy. The stairs are quite challenging, which is good to keep in mind if in bad shape.

Location was the best possible! Very cosy and personal interior. Helpful staff.

Outside illumination at midnight ( need thick & dark curtain) steep stairway & no elevator ( of course) restaurant opens at 08:00

Location : center of old town, in front of St. Peter Cathedral Historical building ( built in 1450) & antique atmosphere good breakfast

The breakfast. It is served in a bigger hotel with lots of groups, buffet style. Yes, it has all the necessary items in abundance (croissants, muffins, savoury stuff, muesli etc.), but it is presented and served without attention to detail and quality

the room in an old convent with meter-thick walls, very romantic, calm although directly in the centre of the old town, a mere 50 m from the main church with its tower to overlook the city. The boys at the reception were very cheerful at whichever time of day or night.

It was quite noisy at night outside, and the bed seemed to be as old as the hotel itself. Very small bathroom, which is, however, understandable.

Great location right in the downtown, old building, friendly staff, great value for money

Staff indifference. Chaotic breakfast area-too many people with too few seats. Trouble keeping food supplies available. Cleanliness of room and common area was lacking. Couldn't process credit card, so had to use cash, of which we were a bit low.

Friday nights can get quite loud, so either join the party outside or get some ear plugs.

The night manager was really very helpful and quite entertaining! If you want to be right in the' thick of it[', this place is the best place to stay. Very quirky, we loved the hotel and all its windy staircases and clever design. If you are looking for a ' bog standard' hotel this is not the one for you! Breakfast round the corner, good choices and lots of it.

First of all, in my opinion the photos here do not show the actual state of the hotel. It has charm, but everything is dusty and not maintaned. The curtains are too long and too dirty in the inferior part, there is no curtain hence everybody on the street can see what you are doing in your room and there is always light in the room due to the street lights directly towards the bed, there is only 1 chair and hence no place to put luggage, clothes etc. The shower is a spontaneous spa by itself, since the water does not stay hot or cold for too long, it is always changing. The noise was horrible and I think this can also be advised and-or managed by other type of windows. You can also hear the conversations from the other rooms. We skipped breakfast due to the bad reviews we read, so I cannot say if it was good or bad. In conclusion, nice building, with charm, but absolutely horrible stay, in my opinion. Things could be settled with just a bit of attention and very little care.

There are only few positives about our trip to this hotel: the history of the building and its appearance outside, the location and the staff, who are very helpful and happy.

• Small Double Room

The breakfast starts at 8am only and we didn't have a chance to try it as we left earlier.

Nice hotel in the ancient building with in the heart of Riga Old Town. The building itself is beautiful especially by night. The room was small but really cozy, a comfy room for a short stay as was ours. Clean bathroom and big window overlooking St Peters church.

Even one children´s TV channel would be a plus! And some renovation/renewing of bathrooms. Of course a mini bar in rooms would be welcome.

The location is the biggest plus of this hotel. Everything you need for a relaxing city break holiday is within walking distance.

• Small Double Room

Rooms could be a bit more spacious, first room I stayed in did not have room for my suitcase (but then - it's a very old building), a phone and some water in the rooms would be great, more than one pillow per person?

Loads of choice for breakfast, location - bang in city centre, amazing! Late check in was perfect for my stay. Very comfy bed.

• Small Double Room

It is really hard to park in the area. Parks are just few and expensive. You cannot reach the hotel with the car.

The building is very ancient and nicely decorated. It is located in the heart of Medieval Riga. Rooms are tiny but you know that in advance.

• Small Double Room

I stayed in this hotel and, unfortunately, I forgot two of my leather jackets in the room. When I got back to London the next day and realised it, I called the hotel to arrange collection, but I was told by the receptionist that my jackets were found and thrown away in the bin the same day. He told me that a cleaner found my jackets and threw them away straight away. I emailed the manager about it, but he didn't even bother to call me back and apologise for it. When I called them again, the manager said that they don't take responsibility for it and that it was my fault I forgot my jackets. He was quite rude and very unprofessional. Also, he put the phone down on me. I find it unacceptable behaviour and absolutely ridiculous. I travel across Europe on a regular basis due to my work. I have stayed in many hotels in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia as well as all around the world, I have never come across such unacceptable behaviour by hotel employees. The hotel should have certain policies, including lost property. People regularly forget things. A hotel should keep lost things at least for a month or so. The staff cannot just throw away valuable things in the bin. I called the very next day, not in a month or two month time. Any normal person would never throw away two new expensive leather jackets in the bin. I find this story unbelievable. Don't ever stay in this hotel if you want your things to be safe in case you forget them in the hotel. Awful customer service!

My second stay here in the past three months. It's a home away from home for me in Riga. Lovely, helpful staff, comfortable and quiet rooms. It's in old town next to St Peter's Cathedral whose magnificent architecture greets you every time you walk out the door and serves as a beacon whenever you get lost in Riga's medieval streets.

• Small Double Room

Very small room poorly arranged. COULD NOT SLEEP - NOISE AT ALL HOURS - only quiet from 6am to 7am. Absolutely horrible - music and yelling and carts and an electronic music machine until 4am one morning. And this was even in weekdays. Do not get a room facing the street.

Charming view and decent breakfast.

The room overlooked a courtyard and had sheer curtains which are not very private with the lights on.

This is a fantastic place if you prize character over luxury, and excellent location over being in a place that looks like every other tourist hotel. The staff were incredible with local recommendations, accommodating numerous questions and always being there. The location in the old town is walking distance to everything and was surprisingly quiet- especially after 10pm. The immediate areas were part of a convent and have beautiful alleyways and entries to courtyards. The breakfast is in an adjacent hotel and was fine- it even had herring. We had a chair in the room and the 30" deep walls allowed for a desk-like work area at the deep window sill. Simple, modern compact bathroom- everything worked fine.

• Small Double Room

The bed was a bit small, so perfect for couples less perfect for friends. The breakfast was not to good, too plane, the coffee not so well just a 6/10 and no more.

Very nice and well located hotel, in the middle of the centre. The room was very cosy and nicely decorated in the old state. Nice, friendly staff!

I thought the hotel had an elevator when I booked it but you have to go up a steep flight of stairs which is not good for someone like me who suffers from vertigo and it would put me off returning. The guy on reception kindly carried my rather heavy suitcase up to the room which was a big help.

Excellent location close to all the nightlife in the Old Town. The hotel is located in an old building and the character of the building has been preserved in the rooms. The bed was clean and comfortable and there was loads of hot water. The breakfast was one of the best I've had in a hotel with lots of selection

Rooms are small and there is no lift - but staff carried our cases up for us!

Beautiful little hotel right in the centre of the old town. Staff are super friendly & helpful. Wifi free and quick. Such good value for money for rooms bursting with character.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Lovely little hotel right in the heart of Old Town Riga, our bedroom looked straight out onto St Peters Church and stalls. fantastic location within walking distance of all sites and just 5 mins from the tourist information point. staff were helpful and happily advised on public transport and the helped with the booking of taxi to the airport. The rooms were a decent size having booked a small double, as it is a converted convent i was pleasantly surprised. lovely little toilet and shower room built into the rooms and comfortable beds. only downside was there are no kettle facilities in the room, which would have been nice, however there is a free water cooler on the first landing, also numerous coffee shops and bars on your doorstep. would definitely recommend. we liked it so much that we booked here either side of a stay in Tallinn.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Room is a little bit on a small side, but the main inconvenience is that there is no elevator, and windy old steps (despite being beautiful period character feature of the property) make it inconvenient for the luggage to be dragged upstairs. The breakfast was reasonable, but basic, in a next door restaurant (belonging to another Hotel - Konventa Seta.

Location was great, right to St Peter's Church, the staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Quite small rooms, but perfectly okay considering proce, really not okay was breakfast, mostly chemistry - scrambled eggs not eatable, too many buses with too many people, no place to sit for breakfast

Nice flair, old building in the middle of old town, perfectly close to many sights and also restaurants, bars

Location: -The location is excellent at very heart of oldtown, St. John's Church was just across the street. -Our room was just opposite the main church. We've got the room with reasonable rate but to see the city by looking through the window worth a million. -We arrived at Riga by the bus. It took only 7-800 mtr. from bus station by walking and it's very easy to get there. Accommodation: -We didn't expect for any decoration but it's totally decorated in 18th - 19th centuries from the lobby to our room. -The breakfast was included and It's not only bread and coffee but a very long line of buffet just over the corner. -We have very quality time here!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Small Double Room

I love historical buildings, fortunately the hotel staff carried my luggage, as there isn't an elevator. Breakfast is in a hotel nearby. The hotel provides water for free.

Got a room on the third floor, no elevators as it was an old convent building (500+ years old I beleive) but well maintained building. Loud neighborhood... multitudes chatter loudly in the nearby streets and you hear them loud and clear till about 2am!

Excellent location, right at the center. Free breakfast was very elaborate. nice clean room. Host helped us with lifting the luggage. Liked the drinking water cooler facility in the building.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Be aware that there is no lift and the upper staircase is quite narrow.

This hotel has plenty of character. It's in a great location and has been very sensitively renovated. Friendly, helpful staff and large, clean bathroom.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

It is a noisy place If you want to rest and sleep. A chair, or similar, in the room to levar cloths would be appreciated.

Excellent location and very good breakfast in a restaurant close to the hotel, not inside. Nice staff

• Small Double Room

Little noisy on Friday night with revelers and buskers going well into the wee hours of the morning. Fine rest of the week

Beautiful and old building in Riga's prettiest square. Walking distance to all major attractions. Easy access even late at night. Loads of restaurants and bars nearby.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Squeaky and not very comfortable bed. Shower kept cycling between very hot and cold, quite annoying. Young guys at the reception should make guests feel more welcome. Not soundproof walls/ door. Noise from singing and shouting teenagers in the middle of the night and music from restaurant below during the evening. Room needs some redecoration/ painting.

Excellent location in the middle of the old town. (As this, however, also is the party district, there is some noise from singing and shouting teenagers in the middle of the night) Fast and reliable (yet unsecured) WiFi Fairly OK breakfast at a nearby (yet very crowded) hotel. Affordable. Lovely old building.

• Small Double Room

I pay for sleeping, but in this hotel it was impossible to sleep. The heating in our room was on maximum, the room was like sauna. As it is central heating it wasn't possible to turn it off. So, we had to sleep with an open window. BUT, there was a street musician playing until 5AM, together with the noise of drunk people. We were there for the marathon and I would not suggest anyone to stay there before the race if you want to get at least some sleep. Then we thought that maybe it is better on Sunday evening - but no, same problem as on Saturday.

Great variety of food at the breakfast. Even tho the room itself was very small, the bathroom was quite large.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

We had 2 rooms. I would highly recommend asking for a room that does not face the square. People were playing music until the wee hours of the morning and it was loud even with the windows closed in the room facing the square. However you could barely hear the music in the room that did not face the square.

Perfect location. Hotel had lots of character. Plenty of restaurants nearby. Good breakfast at the neighboring hotel.

Browse Historical Ekes Konvents 1435 Hotel traveller photo gallery