Reviews of Elizabeth's Youth Hostel

Elizabetes iela 103-2, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia

#123 of 158 hotels in Rīga

Based on 463 hostel reviews

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Comfy hostel in a great location.
    • Mixed Dormitory Room

Can't say anything negative about the place.

Place is pretty close to city center, everything is in the reach of a walking distance. The hostel is really comfortable, clean and rather cheap. Excellent place for students on a budget.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

ordinary hostel on the first floor

Noise from a construction zone next to the hostel. I had a problem to enter hostel because my plane had delay and I was late. Please take your mobile with you (and keep hostel's number) because I had never met any crew at the front desk after 11 a.m. (usually girl is present between 9 - 11 a,m.) the key you will find inside hostel but you need to know password to open front doors and second doors to the reception.

room was part of apartment on the first floor. Room with shared bathroom. Bathroom was clean hoowever doors at the shower was broken. bed was okay and clean. i had a room from patio side was good because of construction warks next to house (24h per day!)

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

They enabled late check-in for us.

There was not much in the kitchen (kettle or oven/stove) - on the other hand we knew in advance it is not there. There was not much space in our room as we had a double bed and the room was tiny (also no wardrobe).

They enabled late check-in for us. The location was really good as it is close to the railway station and the centre. The kitchen and the toilets were basically clean and we could use their hairdryer. We had immediate access to cold and hot water, even though there was no kettle. The hostel was nicely designed. In the reception room, there were a lot of information about activities to do in Riga.

Location is great, hostel isn’t that great sadly.

The showers and toilets were dirty, even after cleaning the toilets smelled. The beds were not very comfortable or clean. The room was quite dusty, looked like there hasn’t been vacuum cleaned in a long time. We were around 15.00PM at the hostel and no one answered when ringing at the door or the phone, took a while before someone let us in. We wouldn’t recommend this hostel.

The hostel is located close to the city centre, only a few minutes walking.

The bed was comfortable, location very close to the main...

We woke up early and used alarm clock - I'm affraid that we might have waken up guests in neighbouring room - the noises from common space or even the room may be disturbing for other guests.

The bed was comfortable, location very close to the main station and quite close to the center but not in a very loud place. It was very nice that the tea was accesible in the lobby.

Very good location, minimal but okay place

The shower was a bit difficult to use. If I put up my stuff on to the hanger, then I couldnt close the door of the shower, so it was not easy to use. There were too little space. They were building a house on the other side of the street, also in the night (workers of the year). They were not loud, but there were a constant noice.

The room was nice, also the bed. Chair and table are useful. Design was minimal, but okay. Train and bus station are close, also the old town, so very good location. Also the fartherest attractions can be reached in half an hour by foot

It was nice place with friendly people.

There wasn't good internet connection

It was nice place with friendly people. The room was very comfy and with nice decorations. In the end it was good.

Lovely, cosy place

It's not hostel's fault but... somebody took my sandwitches from common fridge. Guys, don't do that! I lost my trust and I couldn't use that fridge anymore :(

Very close to the bus and train stations. Clean, quiet and cosy place.

Left after 1 night

I booked for 10 nights, but ended up leaving after night one and just eating the loss. The building was kind of smelly and I had some problems with allergies, the bathroom was dirty, it was noisy, and staff entered my room in the morning and woke me up because they had put me in the wrong room and needed me to move. Because I was past the free cancellation, I was unable to get any refund and had to pay the full 10 nights, even though I only stayed 1.

The location is great, very close to the train station, and the bed was pretty comfortable. My flight plans changed last minute and I needed a late check-in, and the staff were very helpful with detailed info on how to get to the hostel and self check-in. All in all, probably a fantastic and cost-effective if you only need somewhere to stay for a couple days on a casual trip, and don't have issues with allergies in old musty buildings, but don't expect to be particularly comfortable.

Check-in was very smooth and friendly.
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Apart from all the positive things, the property remains a rather cold and kind of dark place. Good place for a night's rest but nothing more.

Check-in was very smooth and friendly. Bathroom facilities were clean and I slept perfectly well in my bed. Location is very good just next to railway and bus stations as well as to the central market and only around 10 minutes to the old town.

Sufficient

This is ok for one night, maybe two. It is a bit outdated and the bed clothes are old. Blankets have cats and dogs designs on them. During the morning there was no one in the hostel to do the check out for us. We had some questions we wanted to ask but we just didn't. Obviously

It's close to the city center and the lady was there to check us in.

i havent seen any staff like receptionist or house keeping. i came to hostel and ring the apartment door but no answer and thanks to god somebody from building opened me the door and secondly i got the second door of the hostel and i waited 20 minutes and no answer again. finally two girls who were about to go out opened the door by chance and i get in. by the way when i got the hostel it was around 01:00 pm . they left my key inside box. no body informed me about hostel, i mean kitchen, wifi, lavatory? and the room was so cold for me. except this it is one of best location and rooms are big.

A good value for money in the very center of Riga

The noise in the corridor was easily heard. I always miss slippers in the room in such places. The communication with the hostel staff was quite foggy. The phone number given on the door was not working. Linen was dirty.

The location is just great. The room except the linen was clean and tidy. The hostel contained many facilities e.g. kitchen tools and utensils, kettle etc.

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

I arrived late but the staff found a great solution and did not leave me to sleep on the street :))))) A small but very comfortable hostel. The cold spring in the room was very warm and sweet. Coffee, tea free. Large fridge in the kitchen. Clean everywhere

OK if you just care being close to the city center with low budget.

It's a low budget place but comparing to others in the same range this was much poorer. The room was not in good conditions and the whole place gave an impression of worn out.

Very close to the city center and train/bus station but very calm and quiet anyway. Nice staff and we got a gift since we stayed here during New Years eve.

A quiet and nice place. I definetely recomand it.
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Nice place, close to the city and bus station. I have been alone in the hostel so I would say that privacy is at is best. The staff are helpful and very welcoming. Recoment it.

No frills accomodation in a good location close to public transport and the old town

cramped shower with no holder for toiletries

Easy to reach the beautiful old town by foot in minutes from here. I had to arrive after check-in hours but staff gave very clear instructions on how to get to the property and check myself in :)

great loacation, very nice stuff.

good to have small stove in kitchen to boil some food ( good then you are with children)

great loacation, very nice stuff. Place for car for money, but in near hostel

Good location, 10-15 min walk to the old town.

Old and poor rooms, bad pillow, very poor acoustic and "natural ventilation", only one small shared toilet

Good location, 10-15 min walk to the old town. Two shopping centers nearby. Excellent private parking.

Cheating and police matter

I made my reservation for two rooms (we were two families) from 6-7 July 2017. Saw my reservation on booking.com. E-mailed to the property 5 July that we are arriving. When we came 6 July, nobody met us. After series of phone calls somebody picked up, told that they can't find the reservation! Then they told us the door code and instructed where to take the key from the room / one room for all of us! I left cash to them for one room. And 12-13 July my card was charged for two rooms!!!! They manipulated my booking.com reservation, and made it look like I made my booking for 12-12 July. Yet I have a copy of my e-mail to the property of 5 Julu, and boarding passes to Riga on 6 July. I was double- charged for services I never got. Shameless Elizabeth Youth Hostel! Shameless booking.com - you are accomplices! This is a matter for criminal investigation of fraud.

Do not make booking with them! This is cheating.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Cozy place

One shower didn´t work, otherwise all was ok.

Cozy, silent, excellent location, friendly staff - although I arrived outside of check-in time I got very good instructions for self-service.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Dorm experience in March
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

More electrical outputs are needed, in my opinion, so if you come in high-season, bring a divider :)

Location is great, in the middle of everything, close to OldTown and central market, yet quiet and private. Plus the fact that I had the whole dormitory for myself most of the days. :) It was warm enough, WiFi is really good, and

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

A nice hostel at the train-station
    • Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

There was no hot water in the showers (because of the winter?).

Clean and frendly! A very central hostel equiped with a small kitchen, a guitar and PC in the community-area (also free tea and coffee) and a very cosy and nice atmosphere. You can book activities and cars from the reception and the beds are quite comfortable. Recomended!

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Great hostel

Great place, great and friendly staff. Beds are comfortable, little kitchen has enough glasses and mugs, also there's a microwave, tea and coffee. Clean shower and toilet, not too noisy and close to the city centre.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

wifi and shower did not work. local alcoholic passed out on couch with pants down and poop in pants
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

wifi and shower did not work. local homeless alcoholic passed out on couch with pants down and poop in pants skunk up couch and house. disgusting.

location good

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

It is close to tratin station and bus terminal.

It is little bit dirty, but not that much. And there was no hot shower. Just cold water.

It is close to tratin station and bus terminal. The price is really cheap and they offer specific information to people who check in late like me. Really nice to stay!

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

SEE Elizabeth's "booking.com" FALSE ADS: IN BOLD BRIGHT GREEN HIGHLIGHTED QUOTES "WiFi...
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

SEE Elizabeth's "booking.com" FALSE ADVERTS: IN BOLD BRIGHT GREEN HIGHLIGHTED QUOTES "FREE" "WiFi" (hello? nothing is free. guests pay, right? and do guests also stay for "FREE"??) "Guests CONSISTENTLY rate WiFi EXCELLENT" = total misrepresentation of self-evident truth wifi the worst !! Elizabeth's WiFi does NOT remotely begin to work at all as it's consistently rubbish much less CONSISTENTLY EXCELLENTLY (crock) WHY NOT JUST FIX IT SO IT IS EXCELLENT?? FOR WHAT A FEW EUROS !! Elizabeth's common room soiled couch features stinking, passed-out local drunk at home WITH PANTS DOWN on tape in middle of day = BARBARIC! If you intend to shower at Elizabeth's you might want to bring your own bucket because Elizabeth's shower holder device is missing so you have to hold the water hose in one of your hands while also washing self with the other hand somehow = best of luck hope you don't slip and fall. Lastly, when the cat's away the mice will play as with drunks passed out on couch. No employee whatsoever present most of the day so ripe for predatory types who feast on such lack of security and control. No lockers even is further welcome sign and incentive for predators. I would never even consider staying in such a completely unprofessional hostel if i knew the truth before booking based on misrepresentations on booking.com. This was what hostels were like in the 70's and still are in former and still soviet style states.

Location close to old city. Bed was good. Coffee, tea included ("FREE") was considerate.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Just the thing for a group of youngsters

Room was pretty cold during the night although it was just September.

Good, basic hostel with everything you need. Clean, really close to the center. Hostel had its own parking with locked gates, which was a big plus!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Shower was not clean, locker in toilet room was broken, dusty room

bed bugs!!!!!!

bed bugs!!!!!!

Cleaning

Should be closed

Everything.

Kind girl in the reception.

everything was very organized ( i had late check in ) and...

everything was very organized ( i had late check in ) and didn’t have to wait for anything, it was easy to find the hostel. clean and quiet.

The stuff was very nice and co-operative.

Was really noisy because of the construction outside and the bed was not comfortable at all

The stuff was very nice and co-operative.

Not very clean

Near the center, bet also quite and you can rest.
    • Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

The toilet have a move-detection shine. Its not a problem but funy. :D

Near the center, bet also quite and you can rest.

Decent enough if you are on a budget

Not very comfortable but you get what you paid for.

Quite location in the city centre. Friendly staff.

early check in hostel
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

room was a little bit cold.

early check in, this place was only few one that you could check in 10am. while most place are 2pm.

Fair value but could use some refreshing.

Place felt a bit tired.

Location. Wi-fi quality. Room.

I was lucky to be alone in a shared room;
    • Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room

I was lucky to be alone in a shared room;) not bad! small, but nice and silent.

It was good stay
    • Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

It was quiet, cosy place to stay.

it was good

they were comfortale

Fast communication with the hostel, easy check in and check...

payment for the parking is just in cash

Fast communication with the hostel, easy check in and check out Private parking Free tea

good location but too old
    • Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

it was too old building.

location was good

It was close to center

Beds and showers were dirty. Lots of things were damaged.

It was close to center

a pleasant place to stay

good location, clean and very quiet, staff kindly

I little Gem only 10 Minutes to old city

No breakfast

Multi Chanel English Speaking Stations on TV in Room Short flight of stairs Table and Chairs in room

Good localization, close to he city center, quite clean, and...

Good localization, close to he city center, quite clean, and comfortable.

i was generally ok. just normal

wifi

rooms were comfortable

Awful place, very dirty, dirty beds, dirty toilets and showers, rude and not welcoming receptionist.

Okay

Okay

Very good place

Very good place

Friendly staff, all what you could need from a youth hostel.
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Friendly staff, all what you could need from a youth hostel.

I had a private room in this hostel.

I had a private room in this hostel. The bathrooms are clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. Very close to the center.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Room was very small and not clean. This place needs to be renovated. Better stay somewhere else!

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Very near the bus station

It would be quit noise

Very near the bus station

• Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

No hot water in the showers, a lot of ants in the rooms, noise

Good value for money

Sheets, they where old and had holes

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

It's ok.

House rule for no shower between 11pm-7am, the kitchen is very small.

Good location and homey feeling.

Perfect location, clean room and bathrooms.

Trouble with hot water in the showers.

Perfect location, clean room and bathrooms.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Good place for budget travelling
    • Quadruple Room with Shared Bathroom

Hostel is very close to the Old Town and the parking is right behind the building which is very useful and is way cheaper than parking on the street.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Good place for the price
    • Single Bed in 6-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room

Male in the female dorm!

Quiet place

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

The host and the location

The host and the location

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Calm atmosphere, easy to reach, location is perfect.

Calm atmosphere, easy to reach, location is perfect.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

Nice and helpfull staff.

some noisy people until one o'clock in the morning.

Nice and helpfull staff. Very good location close to old city, supermarket, train and busstation and shoppings.

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

Amazing place friendly vibe & very comfortable

Amazing place friendly vibe & very comfortable Full of locals travellers, perfect for socializing & know more abou the cuty/country Free coffee & drinks and a surprise for NYE

• Reviewed: 29 December 2015

The hostel is clean, cheap and situated close to the railway...

One of the administrators was very rude. She abused tourists from Turkey. She said: "I'm russian. Your president Erdogan - I wish him die". The kitchen is very small - 1 square meter or something like that. Only one person can be there at a time. Wifi doesn't work until you place an advertisement of the hostel on your Facebook page. You have to do it each time you want to use wifi. If you don't want to place an advertisement - you can't use wifi.

The hostel is clean, cheap and situated close to the railway station and supermarket.

• Reviewed: 3 December 2015

Great location, just next to the train station.

No elevator so need to carry bags one floor up

Great location, just next to the train station. It's a simple low-budget hostel so don't expect any luxuries, but there was everything we needed and hostel staff was very nice. Excellent value for money!

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

Location is nice.

Lady at reception was very mean and not helpful at all. The floor was dirty. Noisy neighbours. No staff in the evening.

Location is nice. The room was good except not clean. Good big comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2015

Good location next to railway station and quite near Centrum.

Extremely unfrendly lady receptionist (haven't noticed any other staff). Some kind of soviet-service style, thought she was not more than 30 yo.

Good location next to railway station and quite near Centrum. Low price, good value for the money.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2015

The receptionist didn't speak in English, only in...

The receptionist didn't speak in English, only in Russian and was very slow. The shower is available only between 7 am and 11 p.m. If you arrive late, have to wait for morning. Also the floor was not very clean and bed linen was really old.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2015

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

When traveling with luggage from the stations, you need to go under the bridge, then through underpass and walk along some crowded places, around 10 min walk.

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. It's a hostel, so no high expectations. The room was big and good, shared bathroom was okay, gets a bit busy in the morning. The location a great, a walking distance from the central train and bus stations. Good for budget travelers.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2015

I have ordered quadruple room, but when we arrived, we have...

There is no A/C. Beds are uncomfortable. Dissapearing light after 5 seconds of not movement in the toilet was annoying and stupid, because you must always move standing or sitting there if you want light always shine. It was very uncomfortable and strange. But toilets and bathrooms were clean.

I have ordered quadruple room, but when we arrived, we have received 6-bed room. We felt like a kings there :) Wi-Fi was stable, but sometimes slow. Location was extremely good, Origo shopping center was 5 min away on foot. The staff were rarely there (for us it was a good thing), because receptionist is at the hostel only until 7 PM.

• Reviewed: 6 September 2015

very central location, all major tourist attractions in...

reception is only occasionally occupied. they sent me an email with directions how to get into the building because nobody was there at my estimated time of my arrival, however the code didn't worked and it took me about half an hour until somebody let me into the building. once i got my key, access to the building was fine.

very central location, all major tourist attractions in walking distance, clean, wifi, free coffee and tea

• Reviewed: 29 August 2015

Really good location.

Metal bed that you can feel every wire in, bed sheets ripped and have holes in them, space in the room for 4 people was so that one can barely turn around, but it was even worse in the shower. One literally cannot step into the shower without leaving the shower room first, if that makes sense. Wi-fi kept disconnecting. Parking space operated with a key that everyone has to leave in place after using, well once it was gone and we were late and it was very stressful, had to call the owner (there was of course nobody at the reception at almost all times). Luckily there is someone near the hostel with a spare key and they opened it for us, but we were late regardless and it was unpleasant.

Really good location.

There are also 26 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Elizabeth's Youth Hostel traveller photo gallery