Reviews of Metropole Hotel by Semarah 4 stars

Aspazijas bulvāris 36/38 , Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia

#29 of 153 hotels in Rīga

• Classic Double Room

Furniture and room could be more newer and stylish. No air conditioner was in the room. Bathroom must be better.

Hotel has excellent location! Possible to go almost all main attractions on foot. Coach station is also 5 minutes on foot. They were very kind to make a surprise with a bottle of champagne for my birthday.(Thanks for this again!) Room and bathroom looked a bit old and not that stylish. No air conditioner was in the room. Breakfast was not the best but quite satisfactory.

Only municipal parking available in front of the hotel but free from 8pm to 8am

The nice hotel right in the heart of the city. Good breakfast and the restaurant design looks very pretty.

Air conditioning didn't work in my room. It was really hot and difficult to sleep. Staff couldn't do anything to fix it or give another room.

The location was really good. Next to railway station and the old town.

• Standard Twin Room

Disabled friendly room is very uncomfortable for tall people - Extra mirror or WC. For bussiness stay ironing equipments is a must have.

Good breakfast and very comfortable beds

A little bit noisy if your room is into street with tramway. But when you open window - you can feel amazing morning wibe.

Cozy rooms, very comfortable beds, perfect breakfast

I've stayed in this hotel over fifteen times in last five years but they could not find my basic info and asked me to fill a registration form. The windows were dirty.

Best value for money in Riga. The interior design is beautiful, furniture high quality and the service usually excellent.

• Standard Twin Room

Heating in room was very inconsistent and over bearingly hot during the night also first night there was a lot of outside noise (building works at 1am in the morning!!) but can’t really blame the hotel for this.

Great location very central! Modern and clean.

The room was on the outer corner of the hotel, which meant that tram noise and vibrations were an issue until quite late at night when the service stopped.

Despite the age of the hotel the room was modern, well furnished and the bathroom was particularly nice.

I’ve stayed already at Metropole as soon as it was opened... now decided to come back. We’ve got the room on the 5th floor overlooking Riga - awesome! :) Somebody could complain to noise outside (with open windows) - not us, it was even fun to listen to the city life ‘live’ :)))! I really love the location, the design, room facilities and especially sleeping facilities (such a good bed!:)) and the staff of the Hotel - everything works to make one’s stay comfy!! Many thanks! :) Surely it’s not as new now, though it might be good - meaning that people love to stay here. The only tiniest disappointment:)) was not to find salmon for breakfast!(This is the point I always love in the nice hotels I choose to stay in Riga :). Many thanks again and wish you lots of happy clients! :) PS there is also our favorite restaurant in the down town - just 3 steps away from the hotel! :))

A minor thing, but therefore easy to fix - no decent irons in the hotel, also disappointed to have only one Latvian TV channel.

Great location, large rooms, comfortable bed and wonderful breakfast.

• Standard Twin Room

Booked a superior twin but was given a small room with single beds and a hand held shower.

Lovely decor in bedrooms and public areas. Fabulous breakfast. Short walk from bus station and very close to Old Town.

• Standard Twin Room

When i left bath robe in the room, nobody informed me about it. I had left my bags after check out at the hotel, so they had time to inform me even in person. When i called the hotel- they didnt know anything, so they called housekeeping. Fortunately they gave back my bath robe. Stuff is very rude and not welcoming. Facilities look used and a bit trashy.

• Executive Double Room

Breakfast was ok, but for this class hotel, should be better.

Excecutive room was perfect - spacious and luxury. Nicely decorated. Nice lobby. Good location at center. Wifi very good.

• Standard Single Room

At breakfast warm dishes should have been a little warmer. They were quite cold.

At first my room was a little too hot! But I managed to adjust temperature myself. Bed was comfortable.

Parking was on the street, if you find a place or private parking area 20 EUR/24 h.

Very decent hotel and nice personal. Breakfast ok, location very good near the old town.

• Executive Double Room

Given that the room was an executive suite, the bathroom was a bit small, but fully functional. Bed a bit too tough for my taste.

The room was big and bright with a lot of character, great rception staff, friendly and helpful. Good international breakfast.nice bar and restaurant facilities. 5 mins walk from all the amenities.

Russians were there too which spoiled atmosphere a bit. Lunch box consist of not tasteful sandwich.

The location. Staff attitude. When I wanted to check out all papers were ready by that time. The breakfasts are good.

• Classic Double Room

Room was in pretty bad visual shape, nothing like the pictures shown. Bed was very unfortable and the pillow causes neck pain for the next couple of days

Breakfast, staff were polite and greeting

• Classic Double Room

It was super noisey. I could hear the other rooms taking and yelling all night. On top of that the front desk staff said it was my fault I didn't book a cab eairler to the airport if I missed my flight as there were none available for 25 minutes. We are talking about the centre of the capital. Walked outside in the snow and got one within 10 seconds.

The bed was comfortable. And the breakfast was alright.

A little bit noisy traffic. When you arrived, then they asked deposit.

Hotel was very beautiful, nice interior. Comfortable and king size bed, good pillows.

• Classic Double Room

The room design was old as if we are in a room from the seventies. The noise from the street traffic made it difficult to sleep.

Perfect location, amazing breakfast! And a super efficient and very helpful hotel staff .

• Classic Double Room

Restaurant service was slow and menu options did not appear appetizing so I did not eat there—I certainly would if the menu options were more appealing.

Staff, Annija in particular at reception/front desk.

We upgraded to business room and that really could've been a bigger. Also found pieces of eggshell on two days in the scrambled eggs, although at least that lets you know they make it from real eggs and not some convenience stuff.

Tasty breakfast with a big variety, very comfy bed, quiet room to the yard and very friendly and helpful staff, among the best I've experienced so far! Meals in the restaurant were excellent, especially when comparing to other places we've been to in Riga in the same price range. And they give hotel guests a 15% discount in the restaurant. Excellent location, just a few steps from the old town, supermarkets, shopping center, cinema.

The reception girl with no emotions, awfull coffe at breakfast

Nice bussiness room, great rest, comfortable bed, excellent breakfast. Near the city center and a few steps from bus station ant a bus station to the airport

• Classic Twin Room

The roadways / pathways are very difficult for people in wheelchairs or have walking difficulties like myself, my husband struggled getting me to places.

The staff are very helpful. When we checked in and could see I used a wheelchair they upgraded our room for free to a disabled suite with a full wet room/bathroom. The room was very warm and the beds were very comfortable. We travelled in December 2017 and it was snowing so having a hotel that was warm and comfortable to go back too was lovely. Was lovely at night with the Christmas markets and lights, made it magical.

• Executive Double Room

Bed was very hard and the pillows were awful but that is personal taste and I it wouldn’t stop me staying here again.

Brilliant location right on the edge of old town surrounded by cafes, bars and restaurants. Staff were lovely.

• Standard Twin Room

Stayed in business twin room ( 516) - this particular room was exactly kind of room, I would like to stay on every trip, anywhere - comfortable beds, pleasant soft bedclothes, parquet floor, slippers, good heating, very pleasant decor, room was big enough. Traffic noice existed, but that did not bother ( one can always use earplugs - stay in center of town has logically its noice). Breakfast was very good. Friendly staff.

• Classic Double Room

Little things: There's no doorman to help with a bag. They don't give a free water in the room. The room is smaller than I expected (I paid for the business class upgrade but it was still small). There is no gym or pool. The breakfast was disappointing, but that's just me. I like more fresh stuff and it seemed quite tired. but it's probably a normal European/continental breakfast so you may love it.

Location is fantastic - across the road from the bus stop so it's super cheap from airport to hotel. there are mini supermarkets nearby so you can buy water or supplies easily. Location is great for access to old town.

• Classic Twin Room

The hotel Semarah is in a strategical position next to the old city entrance. Staff is really polite and kind. Room was clear and beautiful. Breakfast is tasty. I suggest this hotel to families, couples and friends.

• Classic Twin Room

I felt the room was a lot more cramped than the photo let me to believe ob booking.com

Good selection at breakfast and a fab location to explore the old town.

• Classic Double Room

I only had breakfast one day but my friends said that some mornings there wasnt a lot of the cooked food left.

It was really clean, the beds were comfortable and the location was really central.

• Executive Double Room

Fantastic Hotel!Great and professional stuff .Good breakfast .We had a good time at this wonderful hotel feels like home. Definitely we will return back :)

• Classic Double Room

On arrival we was upgraded to business double from classic as i was celebrating my birthday at the same time as latvias indepence day (nice little touch) room was clean and decent size with all the facilities you need for a short break away with good sized bathroom, hotel is close to everything and on the edge of the old town, bus from airport is around 20mins at 2 euro per person and drops you across the road! Also the 15% discount at the hotel restaurant is an added bonus! Will be staying again

• Classic Double Room

Proper coffee machine would be good.

The hotel is old world atmosphere and beautiful. The staff are friendly and very nice. The dinners I had were delicious and the breakfast is very substantial and lots of choices.... I upgraded to a better room than I originally had but my sone room when he stayed was excellent. My upgrade was not too expensive and the room was wonderful rm 517. Great hot shower and a home away from home. Only thing I would like is better coffee but there are so so many places around for coffee. Great location as close to heart if Riga, Opera House, transport etc

nothing at all

A superb value hotel .sumptuous breakfast with massive choice,comfy spacious room and friendly knowledgeable staff . Plus one of the most secure left-luggage arrangements I have found .

• Classic Double Room

The room was very poor with old furniture and old aplliances. The shower only had a curtain, but no step ir anything to prevent the water from going everywhere around - one basically showers on the bathroom floor. Another small but (as it turned out to be-very annoying) detail - the lighting in the room was terrible, which means that people who want to do their make up have no place to do it comfortably. And we were quite surprised that one cannot order coffee to the room at midnight, apparently they can only bring sandwiches...

The location was great The hotel's lobby was amazing too

Nothing really, except the weather: we had a few days rain.

The staff (and booking) was very flexible. We had a non-refundable booking, but had to change it a few days before we were supposed to be leaving, that was no problem. We had the superior double room and we loved it. Very big, lots of windows with view but no noise thanks to double glass and thick walls and very clean, they clean two times a day. From the hotel you can walk to most of the places. The staff was very helpful to give us information. We liked the breakfast: a lot of choice. And also the food in the restaurant. We got 15% discount because we stayed in the hotel. I can recommend the taxi service: cheap and quick.

• Standard Twin Room

The breakfast wasn't so good, not poor but the quality wasn't the same level as the other services. There can be a lot of noice of the trafic, but not this time in my room.

The location is very good and the staff execellent.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel seems to have been renewed recently. Unfortunately, only in the lobby and restaurante areas. The rooms are quite old fashioned and in dire need of an upgrade. The bathroom floods every time you shower. The weather was very cold the days I stayed there but the heating was not available yet

The location is very convenient, everything is very clean, the bed comfortable. Nice staff. Good breakfast.

My wife and I had a venison burger meal one evening in the hotel restaurant. I have a very sensitive palate and detected a definite fishy taste and smell to both burgers. My wife could eat hers without difficulty but I could not eat mine. I told the serving staff who checked with the kitchen and told me there was no possibility of fish contamination. I was not offered an alternative or a refund. I suspect that either the burgers were cooked on a grill also used to cook fish or the venison was fed on fish meal. I have never had this problem before in any restaurant I have eaten anywhere in the world.

Very convenient location, clean and well organised hotel, good staff, pleasant environment. Good breakfast, plenty of choices and staff regularly restocking items as necessary. 15% off meals and drinks for hotel guests was a welcome offer.

• Standard Twin Room

There was some construction (August 2017) going on in the street overnight and it was a bit noisy, but I slept like a baby anyway :). I think they were fixing tram rails or something, didn't feel like a long term thing. Just check with the hotel if you have trouble sleeping...it's worth it, the hotel is superb.

This hotel gets everything right. Location in short walking distance to old town Riga, excellent staff, good selection at breakfast. The prices are very reasonable for the quality provided. We got an upgrade from business twin to suite and the room was wonderful. I absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Standard Twin Room

It was a nice place to stay, except for the people in the room next door that decided to loudly party at 3am.

The location was very convenient to both the train and bus stations.

• Classic Double Room

Great location right in Old Town. Took the bus #2 (1,15€) from the airport in 20 min to the central bus station. Just walked across the street to the hotel. Very helpful staff in all areas.

• Executive Double Room

We lived in an Executive room and we met all what we expected. Only some small details are absent like wine glasses, cutlery, papers in the bathroom. But one can ask them in the hotel restaurant.

• Classic Double Room

Very nice big comfortable bed and there was space to include a fold out bed for our son which did not make us feel like it took up the whole room. A very good location for visiting the old city, accessing the train & bus station or going for runs in the parks and along the river front. Lovely stained glass windows on the stairs. Good wifi & discount for meals taken in the restaurant.

• Standard Single Room

Floor in the room was not straight, when walking You could feel different levels.

Nice hotel with old fashion design you can feel history inside. Breakfast could be better, small choice for 4* hotel, coffee from big tank instead of coffee machine. Very small parking spot about 50 m from hotel (between two crossroads).

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Classic Double Room

A bit more staff during breakfast to clean tables from other guests.

Good location, easy to find by rental car from airport, also easy to reach from train station. Walking distance to main sightseeing points of interest. Friendly staff, had very good restaurant suggestions (Trompete and Ala, both in "Peldu" street, 7min from hotel).

• Classic Double Room

Our room 603 was quite small and in need of renovation, the bathroom was tiny, some of the tiles getting old and moldy. We requested a quiet room and got a room facing the courtyard: quite a lot of hot and noisy vents out there plus trash cans being trashed about at night. Maybe a mistake to ask for quiet room? Breakfast room overfull at peak time 9-10h, we found uncomfortable bar stools to eat on, some people even had to wait for tables. We then had breakfast somewhere else.

Good location, friendly staff

• Classic Double Room

The room was outdated and small. Our room was right beside the road where trams are running. It could be quiet noisy sometimes.

Staffs were amazingly helpful. They know well about the area and gave lots of recommendation of shopping and restaurants. The night staff who worked at night was extremely helpful.

• Classic Double Room

Room haven't had air conditioner which is pretty strange for 4* hotel.

Good hotel to stay in the city center. Breakfast, quality of bed, cleanliness- everything was very well arranged. Staff is friendly and oriented to customer service.

• Classic Double Room

Flies in room. No solution or help offered by staff. Only one member of staff on in evening therefore could not even look at room. Staff walked off when I was talking to him.

• Classic Double Room

Free upgrade to a fantastic suite with a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival. Location was excellent- right by the old town and just 4 minutes walk from the station.

• Classic Double Room

What I saw on the website as room photos didn`t really correspond to the room I got. Breakfast ok, street is rather noisy with trams, which makes it difficult to sleep with an open window.

Just ok, the room was a bit smallish

We choose this hotel for our wedding anniversary and could not have been happier. The hotel itself is beautiful and has a great restaurant and bar, and a very nice breakfast buffet with plenty of options. The location is very central yet quiet, with close walking distance to everything one could want in old town. We were happy with our stay and will most likely be back.

• Classic Twin Room

Room felt a bit 'down the corridor, out the back', which would have been OK at a cheaper rate. I was a little late booking perhaps.

Main attraction was the location. Breakfast was extensive enough.

Noise from the neighbouring room Breakfast needs to be reviewed as some products are not up to standard

A pleasant stay on the whole having obtained an interesting last-minute promotional rate for a contemporary room. Could not truly fault the establishment considering the rate paid !

• Classic Twin Room

Very small room with only small french bed and no airco (This should not be let as a double room!). Slightly worn out interior. Small bathroom. Noisy street. Difficult long lasting check in procedure with a lot of paperwork.

Nice breakfast room

• Classic Double Room

They tricked us into selling single bedroom instead of double which we booked aheafd. At first the staff lied that that the room is for 2 persons, so my girlfriend and myself had to sleep in a bed for one person. We barely could get some sleep, not to mention the noise in the street. The next day, we told the staff that our rest was terrible as we checked out and they were so rude to say "that was the only room left". We dont need complimentary breakfast or discounts, just hate beeing lied to.

• Classic Double Room

Small room, no air conditioner in the room, interior of the room was nice but interior finishing of the bathroom was some kind cheap, tiny shower with plastic curtains

Very good location within the downtown, friendly staff, good restaurant, hotel recently refurbished, very nice lobby and common areas

More choice at breakfast

The location was really good not far to walk into the Old Town.The bed was really comfortable and the room was spacious and clean.

• Classic Double Room

Rooms at the front can have slight noise from trams but not a problem because you get a nice view.

Good breakfast buffet and pass for nearby gym and sauna included.

• Classic Double Room

Location close to Old Town and bus station. Hotel was nice-looking but the service could be better. Was given a twin room without being asked but luckily room was comfortable and we were staying only a night. The kettle in the room still had water from the last guest so it was a little gross. Otherwise, everything was good, including the breakfast!

Nice bed!

• Classic Double Room

Would have been nice to see some changes to the daily breakfast buffet as choices were the same every day.

Absolutely wonderful stay! Lovely hotel, great decor, fantastic location and welcoming staff. Rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Location is perfect for exploring Riga and close to the train station if you want to venture out of the city. Lovely breakfast with loads of vegetarian options and nice dining area. Decent WiFi throughout the hotel. Bed linen was fresh and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Staff were super helpful and arranged our airport pick ups and even prepared a packed breakfast for our last morning as we were checking out before the breakfast buffet started. Really lovely hotel, great value. Will definitely recommend to friends visiting Riga and will certainly stay again if I ever return to Riga. Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Standard Twin Room

The location of the hotel is perfect - next to the historical city centre, 3 minutes walk from bus from the airport. The reception staff is excellent - very nice and providing full of useful tips

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Classic Twin Room

On Booking among facilities was displayed the presence of a parking and only at the end of the reservation process it was clarified that the parking is a public one (i.e. on the street in front of the hotel). Cost € 2,60/hour. Hotel as an agreement with special daily fare (€ 13/day) with a private parking in the neighbourhood but it is not very pleasant to go there in the rain and on night.

The hotel is cosy with a nice atmosfere and very clean. Definitely I would recommend it.

Extreamly hard bed, uncomfortable and then I can fall asleep on the floor... Breakfast was ok, boring bread and the juice was basiclly only suger.. More like a three star hotel breakfast. Noisy both from street and the floor Adobe.

Great cleaning. Great location. Nice staff.

• Classic Twin Room

Parking in the neighbourhood is very expensive - 2,5euro per hour. You have an option to use hotel parking for 15 euro / day.

Good choice for urban escape. Very close to the main attractions of the old town and easy reachable by car. Very impressive historical interior.

Douche cabin was really small and douche switch was not working properly

Friendly and helpful staff, good location on the way to Jura, Genève or further south. Very good food in the restaurant. Location is close to Bourg en Bresseand the highway, but very calm at night.

• Classic Twin Room

Nothing negative to say. Everything was perfect.

Very professional and friendly staff. High quality and clean accomodation. Fine, historic hotel but up to modern standards. Good location. Friendly atmosphere.

• Executive Double Room

The bathtub allows water to spill on the floor of the bathroom, without possibility to drain the water. A minor inconvenience, in a beautiful hotel. And very friendly staff.

We were upgraded to a Junior Suite. Very nice indeed!

If you are sensitive to noise, nearby trams might bother you if you like us prefer to keep windows open. In that case Ask for a room on a high floor or facing inner yard.

Very good location - within a few minutes walk from all old city attractions. Close to central bus and train station. Room was clean, good selection of tv channels. Excellent breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. Highly recommended.

The bathroom is clean, but some things are slightly used (small cracks, lime scale etc). You can indeed hear the trams in the morning from outside, but it didn't bother us (the room was on the 4th floor).

The location is very convenient, in the old city, but just next both to the bus station and airport bus stop. The room is nice (we had double business), with cosmetics samples, towels, slippers, hair dryer etc. The bed (an actual double bed, not two twin beds put together) is comfy, the sheets are clean . The breakfast is excellent, there were lots of options, and everything was very delicious! Staff memebers speak both English and Russian, they are very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Noisy outside from around 4.00 in the morning

Nice room(, business class), Nice and helpfull stuff,great location-but a lot of noise from public transport.

• Classic Double Room

The rooms are quite nice, the bed could be a little bit bigger :-)

The hotel is centrally located. Just some footsteps from the Old Town away. You can easily reach the hotel via the airport shuttle. The hotel has a very beautiful aristocratic architecture. The breakfast is okayish, but the bar and the restaurant are really good.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

I like the all round decor of this hotel and the breakfast was good. it would be better if the kitchen staff could change the layout slightly so that the coffee etc is in the same room as the food. There is space if utilised carefully. However, the room was very comfortable, very good bed, practical bathroom, friendly staff.

Browse Metropole Hotel by Semarah traveller photo gallery