Reviews of Casa Lila & Spa

94 Rue Med El Qorry Medina, Ahl Agadir, 44000 Essaouira, Morocco

#13 of 88 hotels in Essaouira

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

Dated decor not enough lighting in the bedroom

It’s a nice riad and the staff are great very helpful and friendly, the owner is also very nice was there every morning. But our room was very dark not enogh natural light and the lighting in the room was poor so it was hard to enjoy the room. Road looked a bit dated and needs a refresh really. But everything else was great :)

• Comfort Double Room

There were a couple of minor things, but nothing worth mentioning.

Ryad is beautifully decorated. I loved spacious, well-filled mattress, beautifully-done extra-high ceiling, the tiling, the top terrace. The bed was of perfect hardness and very spacious despite our larger, traditionally built frames :-) The Moroccan staff was lovely, always smiling. The owners popped in for a little chat, which was very nice. Hammam experience and Oriental massage were very professional.

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

The room was very dark - walls could have painted with a lighter colour. It was generally quiet but one morning woken up from loud voices.

Well located and easy to find. The room was large with a good storage space. Staff was kind and helpful when needed.

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

We were a bit cool but that was probably more the time of year.

We loved the breakfast. The rooftop was fabulous and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Comfort Double Room

Shower drainage not working properly. Public areas could be decorated nicer.

The room. We were staying in the green room on the ground floor. Night receptionist prepared an early breakfast for us on our day of departure.

• Comfort Double Room

The owner is a French expat who has no clue on customer service and is only interested on making money without a lot of respect on its customer. I wouldn’t recommend this place for your stay in Essaouira.

The local staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

nothing i did not like !

casa lila is a delightful and charming riad . breakfast on the roof terrace is simple but tasty . We both had hammam and massages - not felt as relaxed in a long time . The real highlight is the staff who are the nicest and most charming I have come across in Morocco .Rashid even got us pizza when we decided to have a night in !

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

We had a room on one of the upper floors and it was wonderful. Due due vacancy we could have a peek into the other rooms, and some of them are really beautiful, too. Our room was spacious with a little separate sitting area, the bathroom and sink were both quite in the middle of the room with no doors, which might me awkward for people not travelling as a couple (of course, there is a separate toilet:-) The staff was really, really nice and friendly, Esma gave very useful tips when serving breakfast:-). Everything was spotless clean, the breakfast area on the rooftop is a huge bonus:-) and let´s you start beautifully into the day. We also enjoyed a massage in the spa and it was lovely!

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

All the stairs up to my room! Just don’t bring a large bag if you end up in the tour bleu!

The staff were fantastic. Very accommodating. I was able to check in early, use the terrace after check out and they organized my spa package so that I could take full advantage of my short stay. They provided a map and the location was very close to the supratours station and easy walking distance to everything in the old city m.

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

In house restaurant would be good with more food choices

Gorgeous room- with our own bath- beautifully and individually decorated. Both comfortable but extremely original. Very friendly and helpful staff- who recommended places to eat etc, as well as advice on our trip around the rest of Morocco. Amazing Hammam and massage- the best treatments we have ever had :)

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The staff were particularly kind and helpful. The spa and massage were far better than others experienced in the neighbourhood. We will definitely be going back soon.

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The riad is in the perfect location, very easy to get around and close to the beach. The staff were all very friendly and incredibly helpful - it was so lovely to be greeted by Fatima's smiley face every morning at breakfast! We really enjoyed the Hamman and massages in the riad, we felt very relaxed and totally spoilt! Thank you!

• Suite

Guests should be aware as the Riyad is located in the Medina , outside the Riyad will be crowded, noisy and can be very dirty at times ( this is beyond the control of the owners but worth making a note of) Advertised as having Hammam and Spa facilities , however when we enquired about these facilities we were told that some some facilities advertised were not available (eg. Couples massage)

Staff were friendly and very helpful Owners came and greeted all guests at breakfast one morning Located in the Medina which is convenient for shopping however there are some downsides to this see below.

• Comfort Double Room

I had a great stay at Casa Lila. It was very tranquil and relaxing. The freshly prepared breakfast served on the roof terrace was a great start to the day. Had a couple of treatments at the spa which were lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

Internet access was feeble. I couldn’t maintain a message conversation and emails were taking hours to come through. And this despite the concierge restarting the router.

Great breakfast (except for the wasps)

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

There were bees a hoard of them every day .. when eating brkfast they seemed harmless but was annoying and kind of made the terrace experience of brkfast a little less charming. I think it was noted as a beach view property thru booking. Com .. it ks not it is in medina which is nice but may be misleading. The price and facilities dont match up

The staff were great . Receptive needed laundry done and they were timely and was reasonable. On last day Was offered a free massage which was nice but could not avail because of out schedule .

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

My room only had a bath and hand shower, no proper shower Some times noisy during the day with banging nearby Lack of variety in breakfast (but true of both riads)

Staff very helpful Terrace good for sunbathing, relaxing Easy walk to beach, port, restaurants and shops Rooms well decorated Professional and good value massage

• Comfort Double Room

The location of the Riad is very close and easy to get to from the Supratour bus station (Supratour bus is a very comfy, cheap and easy way to get from Marrakech to Essouira). It is inside the walls of the medina, in a good location for exploring. The Riad has been furnished with a lot of attention to detail in a colourful romantic style and it's quiet. The staff are very warm, inviting and helpful. They offer Spa treatments (you are not hassled to have any treatments) and I had a very relaxing shoulder and head massage. If you want a taste of Morrocco with less hassle then go to Essouira, we heard there are flights from Luton airport now.

• Comfort Double Room

Leaving my beautiful home away from home!

I loved everything about this Ryad! It was so nicely decorated and close to everything, within walking distance. The staff, oh the staff, they made our visit so pleasant. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. I've never stayed at a place where the staff was so nice! The owner heard it was my birthday so she gave me a 1/2 hour massage for free. My husband surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which the staff helped him to arrange. Hopefully, I will get to come back to this lovely town and I will only stay here! Ask for the green room, which is where we stayed. It is on the first floor and the living area/common area is shared with one other room after 9 pm is quite large and very comfortable. You cannot go wrong booking this place and you will not be disappointed!

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The kindness and the friendliness of the management and staff. The cleanliness, the elegance of the decorations, the breakfast made with only homemade food

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Luxurious room for a great price. Staff was beyond welcoming and helpful! Always smiling. Special thanks to Rashid and Rashida for helping us with things around d Essaouira! Breakfast was always delicious. Room was so clean, spacious, and even had a bathtub! Highly recommend.

• Suite

My partner would have liked a full length mirror in the suite but that is only a minor issue, I did notice that other rooms on the same level had one though.

The staff and owners were very friendly,the property was very convenient to the Medina and sea front . I would recommend the Casa for a 4-5 night visit .Fanfan give us some really useful information about restaurants and shopping.

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

Aircon temperamental and a fridge to store drinks would have been very nice.

Beautiful spotless Riad with friendly welcoming staff. The room was great, we were given an upgrade so even better! Rooftop area nice for breakfast which arrived each morning as an assortment of jams, honey, fruit, crepes, bread and eggs with coffee and fresh orange. The Riad is on a main busy street which for some would be perfect but maybe not for everyone. The Casa Lila massage is a must, just divine. Totally recommend this place.

• Comfort Double Room

Nothing, everything was gorgeous.

Such a serene place is casa Lila! Very good located in the medina. Easy to find, even by car you can park right outside the medina wall just a 2min walk away. Breakfast was good with an amazing view on the terrace and room was gorgeous decorated in Moroccon style, with rose pedals and all. Owner and staff are very friendly and more than welcome to help you with any activities. The massage is excellent! Would highly recommend this place to everyone who's going to Essaouira!

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Staff are friendly, Breakfast was lovely eaten on the roof top terrace. Raid is right in the centre of everything, with only a few minutes’ walk to the beach and lots of restaurants and things to see all within walking distances. I would recommend this Raid.

Nothing, it was perfect

Loved everything about Casa Lila, myself and a friend stayed there for a week and couldn't have been made to feel more comfortable there. It became our second home. The decor was perfect for us, moroccan feel but also quirky. The staff are incredible there, so friendly and kind. Can't wait to go and stay again!

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Breakfast was sparse. Riad could of offered more. For example, yoghurt and fruit.

Courteous and friendly staff. Excellent location...5 min walk from bus terminal.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

The place looks magical at night but during the day the 'shabby chic' look is a little bit too literal. With a little love and polish would be closer to what I imagine is its former glory

Perfectly located for access to the Supratours bus from Marrakesh. Easy walking distance and right in the centre of town.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The breakfast could be a little extended.

Great decorations, very cozy room set-up and spacious rooftop terraces. Nice hamam treatment at additional cost

• Suite

This well run riad has a great location, beautiful rooms (if you are with a family, check out the apartment), nice breakfast served on the rooftop, and friendly staff. They even served an early morning breakfast in the lobby as we had to leave early to catch our plane. Highly recommended! You cannot go wrong with this one.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Can't think of anything because we did not want, or get, a typical British hotel but a Morrocan hotel & experience

This seemed to us a typical Morrocan hotel with traditional feel backed up by wonderful service from all staff and well appointed rooms. Loved having breakfast on the roof!! Would recommend this hotel to any of our friends.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

We found it a bit overpriced, but you get absolute value for money!

This was absolute the best riad we stayed in during our round trip in Morocco. The staff was most friendly and helpful (thank you Rachida!), breakfast was served on the beautiful roof terrace and the apartment suite we booked was outstanding and very spacious. Every detail was seen to, and the rose petals on our beds just did it! The location is perfect. The car park is just a 2 minutes walk outside the 'Bab', which is the entrance to the medina, so ideal if you come by car. Oh and make sure you visit the hamman to complete your stay. Merci encore un fois! 'Malika'.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Only one thing, At the moment of the checkout, they charged us 5% for paying with credit card. We dont really know if this is a normal practice, we didnt find any kind of notice about It during our booking. It was a pity because until this moment all was perfect. The owners told us that it wasn´t important because at the ATM we will be charged with 4%. But I think is more about transparency.

I liked everything

I stay in the apartment of the Riad and the entire building had that 'wow' factor from entrance to roof-top. It was also small touches like rose petals and vases of roses mixed with the purples/lilac theme that made this Riad stand out. I've stayed in others Riads across Fez, Marrakesh and Essaouira) but, for me, this one seems more personal, more welcoming and beautifully touches by the owners (including a lit fire at night). Staff were very kind.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

I just got cold in my room in the early hours as the heatng went off. I needed a blanket .

I loved the decor & the cleanliness of Casa Lila. Breakfast was nice ; my room was comfortable ; the staff were friendly and the massage and hamman amazing . It was very very easy to find also. I had a great welcome and orientation. It was just very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

The spa and hammam was not included wich we didn't know at the time of booking. Should better be listed. But seems like this is commom in morocco. Breakfast was okay, nothing special.

Pretty Riad in the Medina, very friendly stuff, nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Comfort Double Room

Great place to stay for a couple of nights. The furnitures and the style of the riad are very particular and cosy. Fan and her staff makes you feel like home in every moment

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

A shower instead of a bathtub would have been preferred. Room was dirty in the corner areas where you can't get to.

We were a mature couple traveling all over Morocco in a rental car. The actual best way to see Morocco. Since the hotel is in the Medina, you will have to do the Medina thing. What is that you ask? 1. Park outside the Medina (cars are not allowed in Medina). Ugh! watch the scammers trying to make a buck off of you. Call the hotel and ask them what is a reasonable price to park and have a Moroccan porter carry your bags. at least then you'll have an idea. I paid 30 dirhams to park for the night. ($3 US) 2. Hire a porter. Usually when you park your car porters will solicit your business. Make sure you negotiate your price before putting your bags in the cart. (around 30-40 dirhams= $3-$4) Good thing about this property is that it is close to the Bab Marrakech gate or entrance to the Medina. This entrance is probably the most used since your car will be parked somewhere outside this gate. The hotel was nice with some good amenities. Essaouria was a nice place. Being toward the end of our trip it was good to be at a seaside town. Merchants weren't pushy like other cities. Fixed prices were nice.(no need to negotiate) Good prices in the Medina. The hotel staff was courteous and service was good. Breakfast was OK, nothing spectacular, just OK. Wifi worked from your room. that was good. Good value hotel. would stay here again.

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

All the staff were lovely. I would definitely come back

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

all personel very friendly, just top! good breakfast, nice rooftop terrace, spacious room.

The blue room The Hammam and massage

traditional riad

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

Amazing decoration in the room. Breakfast was very tasty !

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

Friendly staff, clean, beautiful room and rooftop terrace. Good hamam. Can highly recommend it!

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Great location, and we loved the relaxed feel and decor of our room. The guys running the place were super friendly and helpful.

Street miserable unsafe

Nice inside, raditional location, clean

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

Front of house was excellent Rashid in particular great service

• Suite

Wonderful staff and great location! Beautiful

Beautiful llittle hotel very good breakfast fruendfky staff

Loved it all. No negatives

The place was beautiful. Very central area. The staff were AMAZING!

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

The staff were excellent, in particular Rasheed was very helpful and a great guy to talk to if you're visiting Essaouira for sea sports.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

We loved staying at Casa Lila. The staff we're so friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely, and the breakfast was delicious.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

The lighting was very dim

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

In compare with other accommodations it was a little bit expensive.

It was excellent. We really enjoyed our stay there.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Two bedroom Suite (2 Adults +2 Children)

Super friendly staff, great location right inside the medina but no noise. Beautiful appartment room with, clean and nicely furnished, great bed.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Hammam scrub and massage

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

You have to pay in cash the spa service

The place

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Comfort Twin or Double Room with Balcony

The staff and location were excellent. Very accommodating with easy access to the medina without the noise

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Superior Double Room with Balcony or Terrace

A small fridge and a fan would have helped.

A fabulous Moroccan experience away from the sterile hotel chains.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

staff were amazing

• Reviewed: 28 May 2016

Rooms on lower level are humid and dark. Wifi is hardly working

Rooms on the upper levels are beautiful, but beds are too small for 2 for my taste. Breakfast, terrace, team and SPA are simply great. The owners are very kind and helpful and trying to respond to demands if their guesrs.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2016

This is a fantastic riad in a great location. We stayed 5 nights and really liked the place. We had an hamam and massage which were wonderful. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace and was fresh and traditional. The room we had was quirky with plenty of space. The common areas are beautiful and there are lots of them. Would recommend

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

During the day, they seem to have 'new-agey' music playing in the background which I could've done without, but this is a minor quibble.

Casa Lila is such an oasis of calm it's easy to forget this riad is located in the heart of Essaouira's bustling medina. I stayed in the beautifully decorated 'pistachio'-coloured room on the ground where I enjoyed the best night's sleep I'd had in Morocco. The fresh rose petals on the pillows were probably wasted on this solo male traveller, but it demonstrates Casa Lila's attention to detail. Rashida on reception was welcoming and helpful and provided some good tips for places to eat (the La Sirocco restaurant is particularly good) and organised a taxi for me to the airport. Also, treat yourself to a hamman and massage while you're there (it's worth it!).

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

We were more than happy with the care and attention given by Fanfan and her team. Breakfast on the terrace, was lovely with local fresh produce which varied daily. We had several treatments in the Spa, which were wonderful .. All in all a most pleasant stay.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

I honestly can't think of anything that I didn't like!

My wonderful,warm characterful room on the ground floor courtyard, lots of space and an indigo bathroom! The helpful and friendly staff, the owner Fanfan,Rachid,Nouredin and Fatima all made my stay a delightful experience and showed me the best value/quality Restaurants in the town. The location just inside the old City walls and very close to the Supratours bus station. The simply delicious breakfasts, whether on the roof terrace or in the courtyard.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2016

good staffs and awesome room!!!! i was going to stay here for 2 days but I mistook the date of flight, I could stay only 1 night. then This Riad's owner made my room upgrade. That was amazing! He recommended me good spa and hammam and prepared for my breakfast at 6:00 a.m. for my early checkout. I was really satisfied with everything.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2016

The Casa Lila & Spa has a really good location for exploring Essaouira and the surrounding area, the Managers and staff are very hard working and friendly, we would highly recommend the Casa Lila and Spa to any traveler who wants to experience a Moroccan lifestyle. The Casa Lila offer many things, forget the about staying in the Hotels located some distance away (unless you want hotel prices and hotel services such as meals etc we previously experienced these when we stayed in 2014) we would recommend you stay at the Casa Lila and explore and dine out its will be cheaper and offer better experiences (freedom of choice) and value

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

No complaints

Beautiful, relaxing riad in a great location: on one of the main streets through the medina (no getting lost in sinister alleys as with some riads) and 5 minutes from the Supratours stop. Usual mood lighting, but with good reading lights as well. Friendly, helpful staff. There is s dos but I didn't use it

• Reviewed: 6 November 2015

The location is perfect, middle of the medina, but quit and very save. The riad looks very lovely, spacious and authentic. The staff is really nice and helpfull, always with a big smile. We can really recommand it! We also booked several things at the spa. Also very nice!

• Reviewed: 29 October 2015

Rained on my birthday - not the riads fault!!!

Fabulous location. Just inside the medina, a skip from slipper shops and cafés ! Wonderfully imaginative Boho chic decor and ceaselessly attentive staff. Nothing too much trouble - coffee and yet more coffee, a hand drawn map, cab organised....

• Reviewed: 29 October 2015

The French owners Michel and Fan Fan were extremely welcoming and helpful throughout this our second visit. They should also be proud of their staff who were, without exception, utterly charming and made our time at Casa Lila a delightful experience.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2015

Casa Lila is overpriced and has the worst breakfast on our 7 hotel stay of Morroco. The most expensive hotel we stayed at up to 3 times the price of other hotels in other towns and cities The only place to serve butter and jam in plastic containers, every where else butter served on a plate and fresh jam in tableware. The only place to serve tea bags, everywhere else fresh tea served in a teapot with mint and herbs of your choice. Essaouria, yes, Casa Lila NO

The town of Essaouria has beautiful views of the sea

• Reviewed: 10 October 2015

This Riad is amazing. I have stayed there for 3 nights and I had pleasant stay. The staff are helpful and always happy to answer any questions about the Madina. Rashida and the owner the french lady did the check in for me. Both so helpful. Also Rashied and Mustafa at night time are really good. Thank you for making my stay pleasant.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2015

Probably a bit overpriced. Really poor WiFi, and TV and AC need remote from reception - more a pain than problem.

Really lovely staff. Very quiet and relaxing place.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2015

Everything was perfect.

Great breakfast, very helpful staff, helped organise a cookery course at very short notice. Beautiful rooms, a delightful and unforgettable stay.

There are also 14 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Casa Lila & Spa traveller photo gallery