Reviews of Dar El Ghalia

N°13 Derb Ras Rhi Ras Jnan Médina Fès 30110, Fes El Bali, 30110 Fès, Morocco

#133 of 172 hotels in Fès

they treat you like a friend not just a hotel guest.

they treat you like a friend not just a hotel guest. Ahmed is great! Mustafa and the guy that serves breakfast are super stars! The room is great and they have a kitchen as an option, that can serve dinner if in case you dont want to get out when Fez is raining. Everything else is great and location is in the medina but not too deep. It is quiet and very much comfortable. Thank you Dar El Ghalia! Thank you Fez!

Beautiful old riyadh, lovely rooms, great location & friendly staff. Very good value.

Water from the showers tended to escape & flood the bathroom, and the pressure was sometimes low. The tea was quite expensive also.

The Riyadh is stunning inside, so it's a special place to stay, and the location on the edge of the old medina is excellent. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very good value, especially given that we had the master suite. Staff were very helpful, helping us to collect our luggage from the car, and rooms were very clean. There is fresh-baked bread for breakfast, and a roof terrace with great views.

• Superior Suite

Scammer horror story- do not stay here- stole money and gave me fake train ticket Three SHOCKINGLY DISTURBING things happened while I stayed here, and led me to cut my Morocco trip early by 10 days: 1. I was a solo female traveler and stayed here two nights. On my final day when I went to check my wallet I’d left hidden under my suitcase with my passport, my last $100 bill was missing. My wallet had also clearly been tampered with and moved and was not covered the way that I had left it. When I confronted them about my money being gone of course they denied it and said none of their staff would ever do that. Then within the next few hours of the following events the dishonesty of these people was very clear. 2. The manager, Ahmed, had gone to buy me a train ticket for the night of the Dec. 30th. As I was about to go to the train station I double checked my ticket, and saw it read Dec. 29, and was used. Clearly Ahmed gave me a fake ticket that was used. The bus was then sold out and so I could not make it to the desert at all for New Years Even, my original plan. 3. The amazing staff at Riad Rcif (which I highly recommend) booked a private tour guide in advance for me, and he was supposed to arrive the morning of the 30th. No one ever came, and my WiFi didn’t work at the hotel (which was also strange it only didn't work on my iPhone..) so I couldn’t contact the guide. Ahmed lied and said he called Riad Rcif, but later the hotel manager told me he never did, and Ahmed said my guide never showed up, but that I should get a Dar Elgheli guide. (so they can take a cut) I ended up going back to Riad Rcif because I felt sick to my stomach even looking at these horrible snakes, and was told the guide did indeed show up and waited, and the staff at Dar Elgheli told him I was no longer interested and unavailable and that he needed to leave. They obviously did this so I would take their tour instead, which I did not do.

Nothing - run away from this place as fast as possible. Ahmed the manager will make you feel like he's helping you, but they are all snakes here.

Night in the museum experience
    • Royal Suite

It's situated in the heart of the Medina where no car can go and it's a bit up on a hill so if you travel with elderly or disable people it's not recommended (though my 55+ ladies enjoyed it very much). The property itself is also a bit old so expect 'night in the museum' kind of experience (meaning furniture and bed).

It was just like in the palace: great experience, amazing service and very approachable staff that will try their best to help you in any way possible. If I come back to Fes again (hopefully!) - I'll definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Not a bad place in the Medina

Needs a good cleaning and an open window would be nice

If you are looking for an authentic experience in the medina this is a good place breakfast is a lot of bread and coffee Adequate for the price

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

A magical Riad in beautiful Fez

Nothing - everything was great!

Amazing food and service - best we received while in Morocco. Great location in Old Fez, with easy access to the main souks. Amazing terrace with beautiful panoramic views of the city. It is a very magical place which enabled us to feel like we were in the true Fez. The staff were very welcoming and attentive, and the food was to die for, we ate there almost every night of our stay!

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Excellent service, friendly staff .

Skip having a local guide for Medina tour, do it on your own!

Excellent service, friendly staff ... Place feels like a time machine. We enjoyed it tremendously.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

FABULOUS STAFF . THEY WILL DO EVRYTHING TO MAKE YOUR STAY WORTH IT
    • Royal Suite

Difficult access for a wheelchair bound person .

Excellent food ,lunch and breakfast .The 6 Moroccan salads were perfect. Moroccan breakfast at its best .

It was a fantastic experience

It was a fantastic experience

the breakfast was delicious, staff was fantastic and we were...

the breakfast was delicious, staff was fantastic and we were super comfortable!

Enjoyable

Room was rather small

Public areas were lovely

Wonderful Riad

Wonderful Riad

A family hotel.
    • Standard Triple Room

A family hotel. Old fashioned and elegant. Pre order your dinner and it will be the best home cooked meal in Morocco

Fantastic

Amazing hotel. Staff were incredibly friendly, no request was too much. Food was good, even for vegetarians. Room was beautiful and spacious.

Lovely property, sweet staff, unpleasant manager.
    • Standard Triple Room

The management was not helpful, tried to scam money from us constantly - it truly dampened our stay.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Good place to stop in heart of Fes Medina
    • Standard Triple Room

needs some points a bit of maintenance to keep the beautiful spots in fresh new conditions.

The staff very friendly. professional

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Attentive staff and the building itself was amazing.

We were the only guests over Christmas and there was only hot water for a shower in the mornings.

Attentive staff and the building itself was amazing.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2016

Staff, service and authentic feel.

Hammam. Fine enough but it you're looking for this experience it might be better to try a more recognized spa.

Staff, service and authentic feel. Terrific value for the money!

• Reviewed: 18 November 2015

We loved the 300-year old family riad with mosaic from floor...

It was all perfect!!!!

We loved the 300-year old family riad with mosaic from floor to ceiling. The staff were amazing: they were there to greet us upon arrival to lead us through the beautiful old narrow alleys to the riad, were attentive to our every need, were available to order wine and snacks before dinner as we relaxed after a long day, had dinner upon request and were extremely delightful!!! The rooms and furnishing are old, beautiful and unique! This is the place to stay in the very old section of the medina in Fes!!!!

• Reviewed: 26 April 2015

The night when we arrived we loved everything about the...

The night when we arrived we loved everything about the hotel. The staff was very helpful to check in and bring our luggage upstairs. We were also offered some complimentary Morrocan tea as a gesture of hospitality. The hotel itself is amazing. The combination of cleanleness and a good taste was overwelming. The breakfast was excellent. We were offered a great variety of authentic Moroccan breakfast items. The hotel is #1 on my list in Fes. Definetely come back and stay only there. Thank you.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2015

I love the building and proximity to all the medina has to...

We moved to the ground floor because of a loft bed with difficult access but next to the 'office' that meant noise.The rooms smell damp and musty, the staff don't seem too happy-had to be told to smile. Now in need of lots of TLC a shame as Fes is suffering from lack of tourism and each Riad must do its best to stand out from the crowd.

I love the building and proximity to all the medina has to offer but things have slipped since our last visit. The roof terrace is a bonus.

• Reviewed: 2 January 2015

This property was originally a private home.

I do not think that the guide that they arranged was certified with the government. Took us to very expensive souks and restaurant, even though we did not ask for it and had told him we didn't plan to shop.

This property was originally a private home. It's just like you'd imagine a Moroccan palace. Guest rooms were really suites - large and comfortable. It's hidden inside the Medina, so you really need a guide all the time. Great food. Very nice, competent staff.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2015

Lovely interior, very friendly and corteous staff, the sunny...

Lovely interior, very friendly and corteous staff, the sunny roof terrace is the perfect place for hours of retreat and relaxation

There are also 4 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.