Reviews of El Minzah Hotel 3 stars

85, Rue De La Liberte, 90000 Tangier, Morocco

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

El minzah was closed.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

El minzah was closed. We were booked there sister hotel called Villa de France. We had no indication of this was the case. We were fortunate that a parking guardian helped us out. The hotel was wonderful but you should update your site to show it is not El Minza

Exceeded my expectations.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Nothing to complain about - everything was perfect.

This is a review for Grand Hotel Villa de France. The hotel is elegant and wonderfully located- the hotel has an old world charm and the staff and friendly, helpful and professional. The hotel offers a wonderfully varied breakfast, good quality food and superb service - with great views over Tangier. The hotel also offers lovely entertainment at dinner - an overall wonderful experience. The rooms are clean and spacious. I will definitely return.

This is a review for Grand Hotel Villa de France, NOT El Minzah (which is under renovation).
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is rather disappointing: the quality is not 5-star and there are very few Moroccan delicacies (unlike in riads, where you get a full Moroccan breakfast). Although the bar is good, it is not comparable to El Minzah's bar, which is beautiful and evocative; same for the structure, the hotel is nice but it lacks El Minzah's traditional feeling.

This is NOT a review for El Minzah: although I had booked here originally, they have transferred me to Grand Hotel Villa de France for the same price, since El Minzah is under renovation. So, my review refers to Grand Hotel Villa de France. The hotel is beautiful and is situated strategically between Bvd. Pasteur and the Grand Socco, so one can easily access the medina, the port and the ville nouvelle rather easily. The staff is generally kind and the restaurant is good, the bar has a decent choice of wines. Overall the room is clean and well equipped. The view from the terrace is great.

The lovely old Minzah is being renovated and after one night...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Getting the minibar refilled with water required a request and there was no menu for room service in the room. Breakfast would be improved with some more cooked options, and sometimes the hotel seemed a little deserted.

The lovely old Minzah is being renovated and after one night the reception suggested I would be better off in their sister hotel the Villa de France, which has less historic charm, but a high level of comfort. Charming staff and a good French restaurant. Excellent Wifi.

Central location, old-world feel, quality rooms
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

It wasn't until my last morning of six that I was offered an omelet at breakfast. Had I known that was an option, I'd have asked for one every day!

Friendliness and helpfulness of staff, cleanliness of room, hotel's general look and feel

Great staff, caring & welcoming
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great staff, caring & welcoming Supportive to customers' needs Neighboring one of the greatest traditional restaurants in Morroco & the World for classical & unique seafood.

Perfect
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I left one day earlier the hotel staff never mention any things about pay me back this day. It is true that I have not arranged thru the booking people.

Its location

Wonderful sights
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Depending on where you room is located it could be a bit noisy. One of the nights we kept hearing music coming the bar below a bit late into the night.

Museum-like hotel full of history and tradition. The architecture and interior decor are amazing, a throw-back to a by-gone era. Superb location in the city center with own parking lot, walking distance from major tourist attractions, souks, and main boulevard. Staff at reception were very friendly especially Ahmed.

Seemingly authentic old hotel in the middle of town

Can’t think of anything.

We weren’t expecting live local music and a very tasteful belly dancer during dinner, which was excellent. The Salad Morrocaine is a meal in itself, and very good. Other portions were huge. The local wines are pretty good too.

shame I could not use the beauty saloon I had a cold!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

On arrival when shown the room the lady needed to check the tv working, the glasses on the table, I had all I needed as it was she showed me the room and left. I had then had to call room service quite a few times to bring a glass, unlock the mini bar make the tv work tea. and for a heater. All of this was provided but it made me feel like I should be doling out tips to all these people running around. I would prefer they had a box for tips to be distributed at the front desk but tips can be given to the head of staff but I would not do that. Next time I will bring small notes to give out to helpful people but not if they are just bringing something that should be in the room anyway. . I did not like that the taxi fare was 130 to the airport and they wanted to book it for me at 200. dirham. In the end with tip it was 160 altogether. This made me not trust in the hotels doings much and I would advise checking your bill at the end. Though alot of people won't mind this small extra charge for the lack of hassle of having to ask a local person how much the fare is.

The hotel offers a unique experience of a bygone era. The outfits are amazing and like something out of the Grand Hotel Budapest movie. I love the fact it has not changed much. The people are nice and the room is comfortable I love the fact I can have a bath.

Excellent location, lively yet quiet. Genteel and classy old hotel.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Internet didn't work that well in my room. There was no kettle or coffeemaker in room. I stayed at this hotel because of the spa, but the sauna was extremely hard to find (no signs!), I never did find the jacuzzi, and the steam room wasn't on. No one provided me with a towel or bathrobe. Also, you have to walk outside to get to the spa from the hotel, which was not ideal in winter. So overall, the spa was a disappointment.

Fantastic location right in the heart of things, yet the rooms facing the water are quiet - such a great combination! Bed was comfy, view was great, bathtub was great, and room was comfortably warm (important since I was traveling in rainy winter). Breakfast was great, huge variety. Loved the views from my terrace and the restaurant. It was kind of cool seeing all the photos of famous people who've been here, from Yves St Laurent to Rock Hudson.

Wonderful and relaxing stay at El Minzah
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

It was a perfect stay. We liked everything and will be back for sure.

The staff is so courteous and polite.very welcoming and traditional Moroccan style.Lovely people and so efficient. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. Delicious!

Great to location and staff !
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Fairly old hotel. Owners must think that it’s still 1960 but great vibe just needs some love. Breakfast was not great they just put everything out at the start of the breakfast and then that’s it.

Great to location and staff !

Not so good as expected
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

arrived 1900 and needed to wait half an hour for a room! stink of cigarettes in non smoking room. shabby room condition

Location: direct entry to the market place and Medina

Always good to come back
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Minzah is always a lovely place to stay at, excellent central location, but it is starting to show that it needs serious refurbishment...

Very comfortable bed, nice views from the balcony. Helpful staff.

Overall a very enjoyable and confortable stay
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

In house restaurant is very expensive, shower curtain in bathroom should be longer.

Friend and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast and fantastic Spa facilities with reasonable prices.

Excellent! Staff very helpful and nice at all times.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

on the site is says there are coffee/tea making facilities but our rooms did not have it. Maybe not all rooms or maybe not correct information on Booking.com but wasn't a problem just an observation.

An elegant and comfortable hotel in Tangier.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Wonderful breakfast (see previous review). The room had a wonderful terrace with a view of the port and Malabata. The bath had all the ammenities. The staff is welcoming. The wine bar is a cozy place for intimate dining.

An elegant and familiar stay for the beginning and end of our annual business trip.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was a wonderful buffet with many choices that would satisfy anyone's appetite. Beverages were served by efficient and courteous wait staff. The Moroccan pancakes were handmade, the pastries were fresh and varied.

the breakfast was very good!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Looks like it has been a great place but not any more... The front-desk was very kind but the restaurant personal was somehow rude. The indoor pool and water circuit, advertised when we walked in, were empty! The evaluator wasn't working when we check out and stairs were the only option....

the breakfast was very good!

The hotel is authentic and atmospheric - that is what I...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is authentic and atmospheric - that is what I liked the most. The balcony and view from the room was lovely. The staff very friendly and attentive

We enjoyed our stay at El Minzah Hotel.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Bar service poor in evening. Once one sits down, one wants to be served quickly. Slow coffee service at breakfast. Reception staff generally unfriendly.

Room was excellent. Balcony was lovely. Nice new bathroom.

We were disappointed by this hotel, but the location was okay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

This hotel is very old and rooms look shabby. The stuff was not very helpful and not very friendly. It always took so long, when we asked for something (like opening the safe in the room).

We had a nice view out of our window.

A full lavish breakfast was served on a makeshift breakfast...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

A full lavish breakfast was served on a makeshift breakfast table prepared in reception for our very early departure for a golf game! We were thrilled - thank you to the friendly staff!

A great memory,i would like to visit other areas of Morocco
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The reception area was slow booking in, the hotel in general is old and out dated, on arrival around 330pm it seemed a problem to organize food, we had been travelling the whole day, we eventually ordered of the main menu. The hotel manager was having dinner in the main restaurant the poor waiters were running, after this man, to organise his phone to be charged, surely he has a p.a. who can do this,he never acknowledged one guest in the restaurant, there was a big party of delegates they were not acknowledged. So the Uniforms of staff are outdated, remove the sun umbrellas from the quadrangle at night when this area is used for a restaurant, our last meal was expensive and not really great the fish special, I think we had a communication problem with the head waiter,served in the quadrangle.

The atmosphere was like stepping back in time. Breakfast good selection, main restaurant food divine, plus the show amazing. Restaurant manager/Head waiter served everybody himself, attention to detail was great. Beds comfortable,plenty of wardrobe space.Tangik ? spelling, was amazing, helped us organize a guide the following day. We were mother and daughter travelling, Mohammed Saied was the perfect gentleman full of knowledge, also attentive to detail we had a beautiful day in Tangiers. Three areas to choose to eat at night.

very nice traditional colonial era hotel, incredible location
    • Deluxe Double Room

the room is not very spacious, with limited furniture, as in many of hotels of that era. However the bathroom have been renovated

very nice traditional colonial era hotel, incredible location

excellent
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything! The staff couldn't do enough for us- nothing was too much trouble. The hotel itself was so full of charm and character. Can't wait to go back.

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the past 20...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is definitely showing its age, and is well overdue for some serious remodeling and upgrades. I realize this is a costly endeavor, but it is needed to return the hotel to former glory. On this visit I observed that the furnishings are very outdated, the electronic door locks don't work very well and the one elevator seems to have frequent problems. I really like this hotel, and hope they can manage to bring it up-to-date.

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the past 20 years, and I have always enjoyed the people and the historical aspects of the property and it's surroundings. I can easily say that the staff in this hotel are among the most helpful and friendly people I've met in any hotel, anywhere.

excellent can't wait to stay again ... which we will do if we are in the area again

nothing to dislike

We loved this hotel every thing was positive had a wonderful meal in the resturant, live jazz band. and signer and pianist in the bar after, great breakfast, staff excellent... a beautiful building

I feel like the staff wanted to cheat on us.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The room was not the one I paid for. Totally different. I paid for one with terrace and I got one without it, which is cheapper. Also the breackfast was paid to be included, but at the end it was not provided.

The swiming pool.

The hotel is located in the heart of the city with access to...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Everything is old and the furniture is really in need for renovation, that's the only negative aspect of the hotel

The hotel is located in the heart of the city with access to the main road, historical building since 1930, from the second floor and up you can enjoy a great sea view

The main "problem" that we had was that in the...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The main "problem" that we had was that in the reservation said that we had to pay 270€ (and 1,46€ per day per person of taxes) but finally we had to pay 286€, we just stayed 3 nights so be careful if you go with just the amount of money that your reservation says, because you will have to pay a little more, despite of that the hotel was perfect.

It was very comfortable.

Food was expensive.

It was very comfortable. We really liked the outdoor spaces like the pool. It was quiet and very clean. It was value for money for the room (but not the restaurants) and in a great location.

Old Grand Dame, beautiful decor and friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double Room

A little black mold was noticed in the bathroom.

Very friendly staff, several great restaurants, one includes performances with musicians, belly dancers and whirling dervish. Terrace restaurant. Perfect location, walking distance to the Medina, shopping, beach, restaurants and sights.

Like Tangier itself, the hotel is a bit past its prime
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Eggs are missing for breakfast. The food at the hotel restaurant is good but quite pricey, especially considering the local prices.

Breakfast is decent and is on a lovely terrace overlooking the port. The gym is solid and the pool area is quite nice. There is also a charming courtyard, including a number of photographs of famous people having stayed at the hotel, which gives a bit of a historical relevance. Most of the staff is very helpful and competent.

Charming hotel with real character and sense of nostalgist, however attenation to detail is lacking
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Major technical problems with the deposit safe, door entry system to the room, breakfast very poor on quality orange juice needs to be fresh, yogurt needs to real and service is terrible.

Rooms are too small

All the staff were extremely courteous, pleasent and well...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Hallways are dark and confusing as others have said. It is called character.

All the staff were extremely courteous, pleasent and well trained. Hotel was recommended to us and we were very pleased. This is an old historical hotel, not the Four Seasons. Amazing location. Expect that charm. Get a suite upgrade on site with patio. Try the Moroccan tea.

I had a wonderful stay. The staff were very helpful and the hotel atmosphere was really relaxing
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Travelling from Ireland, it would have been helpful if adapters were available for me to charge my phone

Loved the location. Loved the old world charm and comfort. Beautifully decorated. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Lovely, classy hotel good restaurant good service.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The shisha bar area. Music was far too loud. It spoiled the atmosphere at the pool bar

Lovely, classy hotel good restaurant good service. The buffet was excellent

Very pleasant and relaxing very close to the old medina and all facilities.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast buffet was excellent with high levels of staff attendance. Pool big enough for playing and swimming. With pleasant gardens housing peacocks with chicks

The continental breakfast exceed all the expectations!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The facility onece so famous and top rated is in a deep need of renovation and maintenance of the rooms at least ... it's a gorgeous location and very nice hotel that only needs a fresh touch.

The continental breakfast exceed all the expectations! It's anything you can think off!))) The stuff was really nice and welcoming. The breakfast time made my day!))) Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to stay there also for lunch and dinner.

Great hotel in a very central location
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing really. Elevator broke for a bit when we were there, but it was fixed quite quickly.

Beutiful, old-school decor and very helpful staff. The pool is nice and big. Breakfast is excellent and served for a long time in the morning. Helped us get an airport pick up on very short notice. Location is perfect, walking distance to the medina and the rest of the center of town.

Beautiful classic hotel in the heart of Tangiers
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

It's a beautiful hotel exemplifying the decor and architecture of Morocco. The staff were extremely friendly. The hotel is well-maintained and the pool area very comfortable. The morning breakfast buffet was great and I took advantage every day.

I had an amazing experience, El Minzah hotel is excellent!!!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I loved the facilities,it´s a gorgeous hotel!!! The staff was friendly and Mourat was exceptional, amazing, kind and very efficient. My bedroom was beautiful, large, comfortable and with an amazing view to the bay of Tanger. The bathroom large and very nice. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the Moroccan restaurant has great food. An amazing experience!!! If I ever go back to Tanger I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Nice atmospheric hotel from the 70s.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Restaurant service could be better.

Nice atmospheric hotel from the 70s, visited by a lot of celebrities. A lot of history, beautiful architecture. Friendly and helpful stuff. They can recommend you a good guide for the city tour. Good breakfast.

Fascinating location, great relax, good service.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Some rooms may need some refurbishment to valorize the incredible heritage of the hotel. I had booked the hotel twice and cancelled the first booking for I had found a better price but the hotel seemed to have maintained the old booking; still, everything was resolved quite easily by sending them my cancellation and booking confirmation e-mails from Booking.com. Nothing truly negative.

El Minzah enjoys a great position between the Medina, the Ville Nouvelle and the port, so it's ideal to reach any of the city spots. It is a fascinating place, full of memories and with a traditional andalusian deco which reminds of the city's old glories. The breakfast has plenty of variety and it's available until 11:00; the express hand made Moroccan pancakes are very good and worth a try. The restaurants inside all have excellent Moroccan food and Caid's bar has a wide selection of Moroccan wines that are definitely worth a try. The swimming pool is really pleasant, it's nice to have a snack by the pool and then to have a swim and sunbathe. The staff is always available for any necessity and ready to offer recommendations. The room is spacious and the bathroom is cleaned every day. The bed was comfortable and air conditioning was available for the hot and wet Tangiers nights and days. WI-FI works perfectly. Good baggage service and taxi service at any time; security is 24h. I haven't tried the wellness centre so I cannot really judge. But overall a very nice experience.

Our Favourite Elegant, Classy and historically famous Hotel.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The lunch staff and service was slow- could it be because of Ramadan and fasting !? Our 2 favourite waiters who we have had the pleasure of their excellent service for 12 years have sadly retired. We miss them very much . Lets hope the new waiters will have as excellent service attitudes and pleasantness of these elegant, charming men .

We love the history and classiness of this Riad Hotel . The staff are lovely , polite and helpful. The pool and gardens are wonderful and relaxing . Our room had a lovely comfy double bed and sea/harbour view. The moroccan restaurant is special with its charm and elegance and has talented musicians and dancers. The service is excellent and the food was all delicious and as a vegetarian the Moroccan salads, Veg Pastilla and tagine were excellent. Very Good location . We had to leave at 5.45 am to catch an early fligt and they woke us at 4.15am with gorgous coffee, orange juice and croissants, bread, cakes etc . Very much appreciated.

A perfect stay in a vintage wonderland ❤️
    • Deluxe Double Room

One of the plug sockets didn't work in the room. Everything else was fab, if your into vintage and antique treasures this hotel is exactly that. Full of personality I will certainly be back. If you like resorts like Marriotts and other stale lifeless hotels, this isn't for you, El Minza is my favourite hotel xx

Everything, what a great place, I felt like a old Hollywood star, so full of history xx

I absolutely loved this place!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The food and drink is a little overpriced

I absolutely loved this place! Beautiful building with so much character and history. The pool is amazing, the staff were friendly and the room was very comfortable. It's a gem!

Worth every dhm

Nothing 😀

Fabulous luxury hotel in the old style. Celebrity clientele from the time when Stars were really glamorous. Everything to please the guests including evening buffet, beautiful pool, valet parking and more.

authentic old-world charm & considerate service
    • Deluxe Double Room

Skip the vichysoisse & club sandwich !!

Just about everything = location, other-era ambiente, views from terraced rooms, poolside lunches, service.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

A hotel with full glory of the past. Worth the stay!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Your breakfast staff insisted to take away my olive plate even after l told him l m still eating. He claim it s because the bf time is over. But l saw other tables were still full of dirty plates n glass. And there were also dirty plates n glass on my table. Why did he insist on my plate? Then afterwards he left our table without taking the dirty plates n glass anyway!!! How rude.

It an old nostalgic hotel. It has a glamor of the past.

Worth every dhm
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Brilliant hotel from the glamorous Hollywood era of French occupation. EVERYONE stayed there. The piano bar, terraces and pool are great, and the evening buffet is a great bargain.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Good
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

-Room service was not really good, slow response.

-In a comparison with 3 stars hotels, the food was good, and by food i mean Breakfast, as it was the only meal we had at the hotel.. -Comfortable atmosphere and friendly staff. -Good location to the city centre

Taste of Morocco
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Old style hotel, but well maintained with updated facilities; while still kept the rich local culcuture and tastes. Besides, it is right by the medina!

Average good
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The price is too high comparing to other 5 star hotel and this one is only 3 stars.

location good for people who want to do some artizana shopping and its in the heart of the city.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Still great hotel, but needs a bit of a boost!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Room key would not work every time we had to go back to reception. Waiters at dinner we rushing us too much so we felt a bit uncomfortable. Breakfast food was cold as the electric warmers had not been plugged in. Charged us for black label whiskey with coke, which we didn't ask for !

Location near to Medina, colonial feel to hotel.

Total luxury in Tangier!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The restaurant was very good but a little pricey.

Walking into the hotel immediately gives you a sense of comfort and luxury. The staff are very efficient and helpful. The rooms and the view from the room very beautiful and clean,

Excellent stay
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The restaurant is good but too expensive. We didn't know how big was the meals, we order too much, it would have been nice if we were told.

The location is perfect, in the center so you can visit Tanger by foot. The staff is very kind and we like the style and decoration. The breakfast is excellent. We liked the diner with very nice musicians.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Nice location with view of the port
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Property, though historic, could use a bit of updating. The windows were very thin and difficult to open and close.

The breakfast buffet was good, with a variety of hot and cold offerings. Parking is available. New elevator. Excellent location next to Medina and port.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

Grand setting clean hotel with a let down team
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The coffee and food of breakfast is so so but the setting is grand and pleasant like a film set. The front desk staff appear to be pleasant but not really helpful as you sense they are there to making extra money for themselves whether you want to hire a taxi for sightseeing or buying train tickets. The management team should make more effort to improve in order to match the hotel location and standing. Shame a five star hotel with a team with a wrong attitude.

The hotel lobby is spacious and elegant and so were public space where we found a lovely little library. The room is charming with a sea view and palm trees. The grand breakfast restaurant has old charm and the swimming pool and free Sauna pleasant but I will not pay for it as the service was very basic. Very clean and staff look good in their uniforms. Location is great. Close to the French consulate and galleries and the best sea food Resturant in the souk. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Extremely helpful staff
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Difficult to drive to the hotel (blocked streets and one way traffic.

Great breakfast table! extremely helpful staff. One of them walked with me quite a distance to fetch my car and navigated me back to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Historic bargain hotel, appalling car park staff
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I'm sick of trying to get into the car park. The staff on the gate are totally unwelcoming and it's the same battle every time I stay. I left my car there - with permission from reception - when I visited Spain and they called me every day to complain. And this is a Range Rover with local plates... God knows how they treat you with a hire car. I've cancelled my next reservation here because I can't be bothered with the parking. El Minzah take note please!

Staff are very accommodating when encouraged. The building is an icon. It's cheap.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Tremendous Location
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Since I have been staying mainly in Riad's, this lacked the intimacy. However, that is not a criticism since I knew it was a hotel when I booked it.

I enjoyed the professional staff and its location very much.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Classic Beauty
    • Deluxe Double Room

A beautiful, classic hotel, with great style and an extremely helpful staff. Our view from our patio overlooking the port and sea could not have been more enchanting. Extremely comfortable bedroom and newly redone bathroom with all the conveniences. The El Caid bar was an oasis in a city where good cocktails are scarce. Above all, don't change a thing!

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

A touch of ole decency in exciting Tangier
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Sleep can be disturbed by crowing cocks from the chicken market below the hotel. The safe is too small for laptops, the shower is not very good. Charging our car cost €15 per day on our way South, but that was waived on our return. As we said in our last review in Dec 2014: "Tangier is a noisy, hectic, untidy place with tricky driving conditions, but we got around just fine and got used to the barking dogs and clucking hens nearby."

We love this somewhat dated grand hotel from a magnificent past, full of atmosphere & character, albeit with a few wrinkles. As the hotel staff themselves say, this is home away from home. The hotel accommodated our need to charge our Tesla (see photo), albeit with a very slow 3kW Schuko socket. The staff at reception, in the restaurants, laundry service & the house technician were really great & the Hotel Manager was very approachable & reasonable. Even though now rated 3 stars, we consider the service to be 5 star, and we learned that improvements are now planned. As we said in our last review: "El Minzah has the perfect combination of a somewhat aged exotic character, a wonderful view over the town, and a very high standard of service, including onsite parking. We were fussed over in a very friendly but un-intrusive manner. The breakfast and evening meals were particularly excellent, as well as the music and dance entertainment. We had easy access by foot to all of the main attractions like the Medina, the souks, the Kasbah, the very calm Jewish cemetery, and a long walk along the beach. We really look forward to staying again soon."

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Awesome Location
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The bar staff were too rushed. The rooms were too small.

The location was excellent with an awesome view. The hotel had a beautiful old architecture and decor.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Amazing!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Excellent service at this historic and magestic hotel. Really clean and beautifully designed and well maintained facilities. Overall a georgous hotel with spacious rooms and huge bathrooms. Amazing breakfast! Wonderful view of the city and the water. Also centrally located.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Peaceful hotel, amazing view
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The spa. The smell of drains in there and some of the water features were not maintained and the pool area felt a bit neglected.

The bath was deep. The verandah was lovely and peaceful hotel.

Well located, nice and comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double Room

there were some minos things that could be improved, but to be honest it wasn´t a big deal and the hotel is great.

perfect location, oasis in the city, caring staff, great restaurants

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Oldest - and best - hotel in Tanger.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Not real keen on dancer w/candle tray on his head!!

I love the authenticity of the Minzah, poolside lunches, morning crepes w/homemade jams and the sweetness of the staff.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

No longer a 5 Star
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Sadly the hotel seems to have been starved of investment. Rooms are looking tired. Worse, though, is the staff's propensity to say 'no' whenever possible. Can we have breakfast on the terrace? No (though eventually yes). Can we change rooms? No (then yes). I left my car in the huge and empty car park and they did manage to successfully hassle me everyday about when I was coming to get it. It's a shame they don't pay equal attention to guests while they are at the hotel.

El Minzah should be one of the best hotels in Morocco. It has a huge history and it is a fascinating place to stay.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Staff did its best, but it was not enough
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Cold room/heating was not working. No hot water for one morning. Very low hot water pressure. Shower prooved to be an achievement... Seems that there has been lack of investments for long. Repairs needed.

Very kind staff. Traditional building, deco, rooms. Clean hotel/room

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Room.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Service ataff at breakfast did not.provide service and 'chased' me out although the place was only half full and just because I take my breakfast leisurley

Room.size and view and cleaniness

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Good value, great history
    • Deluxe Double Room

It could use some upgrading, but for a three star hotel I think it's a good value.

Old world charm! The staff was excellent. We had drinks at the bar. It was fun to be in a place that has been around and has the history. Our room was very clean, and our bed was very comfortable. We loved our patio overlooking the harbor. I did like that the carpet was old, and the grass cloth on the walls and a lot of the furnishings were old. I loved the sense of history. The pool was amazing. I thought for the first night in Morocco I couldn't have picked a better place.

Browse El Minzah Hotel traveller photo gallery