Reviews of Riad Chakir Mogador

13, Rue Malek Ben Morhal Avenue Istiqlal-Essaouira, Ahl Agadir, 44000 Essaouira, Morocco

#40 of 88 hotels in Essaouira

Breakfasts were a little bit disappointing - we stayed 5 days and every morning they gave us same food. It wasn't bad, but.. :)

Fast wi-fi, nice, helpful staff, perfect location, clean nice room

That stay only 1 night 😢

Is the best place to stay at morocco!!!! Beautiful decor delicious breakfast,very well sleep I'd like to stay more night there 😍

Very cute Riad, lovely owners and amazing breakfast! It was exceptional value for money though that's also because we had a special deal. Still, I would really recommend this place! On a quiet side street but right in the centre of the Medina.

Nothing was bad. For €20 a night it’s perfect :)

Best budget accommodation in Morocco so far! The room is super big and there’s enough light. There’s always hot water and you have a small heater in the room! The staff is very friendly and the location is perfect. You’re in the middle of the Medina and can walk everywhere, incl busstations! For breakfast you get more bread than most of the other riads in Morocco, so that was nice. Definitely worth a stay!!

Bathroom was tiny.

The friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was very good. They were happy to make us cups of coffee and tea at no extra cost. Also gave us extra stuff at breakfast with a smile.

Bathroom furniture too old and tiny.

Very nice riad in the medina of Essaouira, the staff is very kind and the atmosphere is unique. Good price and good breakfast.

Horrible coffee on breakfast, but if I will be in Essaouria again, this Riad will be my first choice.

Great Riad. We spent two nights in As - Sawira with my friend and it was very good choice. Nice staff, comfortable and clean room, topical Morocco style. Wonderful localization, close to everywhere.

A bit difficult to find arriving at night so may be worth paying a small amount for someone to help you find it but otherwise the stay was great, isn't too much to critique here. I got a discount for booking late so may be slightly less impressive at the full price, but was a great stay for 25 euros.

Was a nice quiet place to stay, friendly staff, large clean room and a great location. Owner was very helpful when I had questions, WiFi worked well and showers were hot and worked well. Overall was very happy with my stay.

We had no warm water to our room. Complained to the staff but they kept ignoring us. The hotel a lot of humidity. Poor breakfast. I don't think is healthy option to stay in. Compared to other riads I have stayed in Morocco, this was not even close.

Good location.

• Chakir Suite

One of the carpets in the room wasn't cleaned well and was causing bad smell. Constant watertemperature in the shower is a problem. It was not possible to pay with credit card. Last day, we had to take the bus and we asked to have our breakfast at 8:00 AM. The responsible arrived at 8:10 and then he started to prepare the breakfast. It was stressfull to doubt if we could take the breakfast or not, because we had to take the bus.

Spacious and nicelooking room

-Cold water in the bathroom, not enough water pressure as we were on the 2nd floor -Soft bed, not very comfortable for people with backache

Clean, very quite and staff was very kind

The sheets were uncomfortable, the pillows were hard, and the showers plumbing had some issues where it would take a long time to heat up, and then turn absolutely freezing every so often.

I loved the friendly staff and pretty room. The location is amazing, and it had a hotel feel with the character of a riad.

The hotel was right in the Medina and close to the beach. The furnishing were very old and authentic, like stepping back in time. The staff were very welcoming, helpful and lovely. Breakfast was very enjoyable and the roof terrace was a lovely retreat from the mayhem in the Medina.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

I had chosen this property because I had stayed in it previously without any problems: however, my last stay was a nightmare. My friend and I had checked in to the riad and were greeted with the usual required forms. I completed my forum in front of reception and checked my phone to confirm the date. My friend had seen me do this, and as he sat down to complete his forum I turned to help him. I left my phone on the reception desk and began helping my friend with his document. Suddenly one of the two workers, not the receptionist, walks towards the desk, puts something in his pocket and walks up stairs. I did not think much of it because I was helping my buddy. Then the receptionist took my friend and I to our room and I noticed that my phone was not with me, so I went back down stairs. It was not there. I told the receptionist and he explained to me that he did not see me enter with a phone, which was not true. My phone did not grow legs and walk away, so I told him to show me the security camera of the door. No one had entered or left the riad within a 30 minute time period, so my phone should have still been in its place as there was no one else downstairs. I started to think about the only explanation, that it had been stolen by one of the two workers. There was no other explanation. The two workers looked around the area and in the end they repeated what they told me, that I did not walk in with my phone. The next day I asked to speak to the manager of the establishment before I was going to leave. The receptionist kept insisting that he was the one in charge, which is not true seeing as he told me there was a administrator above him. He could not even look into my eyes while I explained to him that I needed to speak to his superior. He told me that he had called him, and after waiting two hours he told me that he did not respond.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

The bathroom was tiny and had problems with warm water. Too much bread/pastry for breakfast.

It was in a good location, easily accessible. The service was nice and we especially liked the eating/entrace area.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

I recommend to pay in euros because the local change is not good

The staff very friendly, great location. The room was comfortable, and they also ask to clean it. The breakfast ok.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

the staff ignore os, couldn't answer on anything. was not helpful at all and never around. not even the morning we was checking out.

the location, its a nice beach and cut town

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Beautiful riad nestled down an alley in the middle of the medina. Rooms full of character and comfort. Lovely terrace on the roof for reading and playing with lego. And heaters on demand to keep the winter chill at bay. Would definitely return.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Pleasantly surprised by this riad, which was really more like a hotel. Great location right in the centre of the medina. Room was big and comfy with a seperate seating area. Shower was hot and powerful, the best ever! Excellent value for money, highly recommend.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Could have offered more savory options for Breakfast instead of only sweet pastries. Shower temperature could not be regulated, shower leaked all over bathroom!

Perfect location in heart of old town Essaouaria. Friendly staff and comfortable beds. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

The bath is really small and when you shower the water is spilled all over the floor. The rooms are a bit noisy, since the windows don't have glass, only the wood frame, so you can hear other guests coming and going. There is no air conditioning (although we didn't need it).

It's close to everything, just a 5 minute walk from the Skala and the magnificent sights. Great moroccan breakfast, with plenty of food and choices, nicely decorated, helpful staff, spacious rooms (not the bathroom). It is possible to pay with credit card.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

The Wifi was not good at all but everything else was nice! It was a comfortable stay!

The staff was friendly and gave us a city map to show all the important places:)

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

I'm 192 cm tall so for me the bathroom was a bit tight and small!

Me and my Girlfriend stayed for one night at this Riad. The Location is perfect. The personel was very nice and welcoming. Helped us with issues and phonecalls without charging it. Room was cool but had no aircon. Delicious breakfast!

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Chakir Suite

The staff were very friendly and helpful. the room was cleaned every day and we had clean towels provided daily. breakfast was included and as much coffee, Tea and fresh orange as you wanted. It was in the Old Medina and 10 minutes walk to the bus station taxis and beach so a fantastic location. we had a wonderful time and would go back to the same hotel if we visited again.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The location on google maps was incorrect and it was difficult to find. The room did not have any air flow. There is no view from the terrace.

Breakfast was good and the staff were helpful. It was worth it for the price.

Great location. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean with comfortable beds. Would definitely stay here again.

No good WiFi

Good clean friendly service without a fuss

It was very cold!

Nice breakfast, lovely Riad

Very nice hotel, helpful staff, clean and very well located! My wife and i had very good stay! Definitely going back!

• Mini Suite

Good location. About 10 minutes walking from the bus station.

• Mini Suite

Great Riad in perfect location. It was the nicest Riad we stayed in thruout Morocco. The staff was exceptional.

Everything was more than oke

Warm welcome, hospitality, moroccon design, friendly people, helpfull

Be carefull with the jacks and electricity

Very typical riad,silent and confortable

A better heater would be good in the room in December.

The staff were great. Nice room & good breakfast.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The location is very central.

Sometimes hot water doesn't work

Typical and warm. Clean and close to the centre. Good staff.

The smell in the room

The staff were great! Beds were comfy, and the location was superb!

Breakfast a little poor

perfect position inside Essaouira medina

• Chakir Suite

Beds were look like clean, but it seemed like there are some bed bugs in there; I could not have asleep at all because of itching skin.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Great rooms, where you can feel very comfortable! Nothing to complain!

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

The staff were very helpful and friendly and the riad was colorful and comfy.

Great location, beautiful riad and rooms - favourite accomodation in whole Morocco trip, professional and polite stuff. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Excellent location, friendly staff and a good breakfast

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Can get a little chilly at nightime during the winter and there was a lack of electric heater in some rooms

Very friendly and welcoming staff

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Wee bit cold but this is winter and there were plenty blankets

Very laid back, but efficient.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Breakfast and Wi-Fi were modest.

Very well located. Excellent mattress and shower.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

bathroom

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Very friendly staff, nice location and nice rooms!

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

The staff were very helpful when my partner became ill

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

All

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Great location Nice staff

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Mini Suite

Extra bed was not comfy-very hard.

colourful property

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

Everything was ok.

The place is beautiful, well located, the staff is helpful and kind.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

Just a little cold in the room.

Very nice place, nice staff. Wonderful decor and smell of flowers! Big nice room and bathroom. Very good breakfast. Super location.

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

Central in the Medina (old town) this is a charming boutique hotel. It is beautifully decorated in traditional style but has a modern standard of service. Breakfast was typically Moroccan and excellent, the staff and service superb. There were good, but inexpensive restaurants for evening meals nearby. A real joy.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

We had a wonderful time at Riad Chakir Mogador. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was nice and spacious and was cleaned every day. The location is perfect, in the middle of the medina close to the harbour and the beach. The breakfast is great and more than enough. I would recommend everyone to stay at this Riad.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

Check out and a claim that visa connection wasn't working so was obliged to go to a cash machine. Airport transfer rates are a bit pricey.

Excellent location, easy to find. Very helpful staff, good room, very good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2016

Nothing. Everything was excellent

Beautiful Riad in a wonderful location. Very peaceful. The staff were very polite and professional giving great service. The breakfast was very nice. Would definitely go back and stay there. Great value for money.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

Overpriced, acoustic, long waiting time for breakfast and small terrace with no view.

God location 10 m from main street. Extremely clean, fresh towels and room cleaning every day in this big Riad consisting of 3 building so 25 rooms in total.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2016

There was nothing to dislike.

Very traditional Riad style Moroccan hotel which is what we wanted. The staff were excellent, very helpful and looked after us as if we were close family. The food was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them. My wife had a nasty chest infection and they showed us where the local pharmacy was for medication, and continually asked after her health. An observation, (not a complaint!) is that I understood from the advertising that you could drive right up to the hotel. I know better now! You are not allowed to take cars into the Medina but have to park outside in a "guarded car park" where of course you are descended upon by numerous guys wanting your business to take your luggage to the hotel. This is actually a good thing because they take you straight to the hotel whereas if we had tried to find it ourselves it would have taken us ages!

• Reviewed: 28 December 2015

The mattress was very hard. No shampoo in the bathroom.

Great location in the medina of this beautiful city, nice breakfast, very nice and welcoming people.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2015

Really nice and beautifull Riad located in the middle of Essouira with a good bed, nice breakfast, clean bathroom, good wifi! I can only recommend this place if you're looking for a nice riad in Essouira!

• Reviewed: 1 December 2015

On cold evenings the heating in the central area is partial though a small log fire was lit and there is a heater in the room.

Nice central dining room.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2015

Breakfast was a bit simple, but really not a big issue since the riad is situatet in the medina. Dragging around with a suitcase is not recomended, because you'll have to carry it through every room and floor

Charming and a relaxing atmosphere, nice marrocan tiles and furniture everywhere.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

Staff were friendly but I should have asked for prices for services (clothes washing) before using: surprisingly expensive. Also, on a couple of occasions my change was not forthcoming: not a big deal, but I didn't like the feeling that my "tip" was assumed - even after I asked expressly for my change I didn't receive it.

Beautiful riad - colourful and spacious rooms.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2015

Loved the traditional design and architecture of the riad. The staff were helpful, welcoming and always ready with a smile. Breakfast was delicious and served promptly.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2015

The room we stayed in could have provided a little more wardrobe space. Just an idea, not a criticism. :)

The place was tucked away in a little side street, and looked a little spooky, when we first arrived. But as we entered, this beautiful and light entrance revealed itself, with a very warm and welcoming lady, who showed us to our room. This was spacious, very clean, full of character. Would warmly recommend it.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2015

The location was a great starting point to explore Essaouira. The staff were really helpful and the place was spotless. It was just what we wanted and better.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2015

The beds were very uncomfortable and the entire group had trouble sleeping. One developed back problems. I only booked this Riad as I needed a lot of single beds and I was very disappointed in the lodgings.

The Location in the Medina was excellent

• Reviewed: 28 August 2015

Breakfast is limited but well presented. Distinct lack of fire precautions is a little disturbing with all bedrooms, stairs and kitchen off a central 3 storey enclosed atrium with not a fire door or smoke detector to be seen, but this is the way a traditional riad works.

Fabulous traditional riad in the heart of the Medina. Warm welcome and very friendly staff. Clean comfortable rooms.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2015

We came to this riad in Essaouira after one week in Marrakech and it was truly a disappointment. We were first put in a room with no windows, aweful humidity, weird smell and full of bugs! We complained and they offered to change our room. The second one was a bit better, but still tiny and quite dirty! During breakfast the next morning we noticed staff people lying around sleeping on the couches on the common area - truly unprofessional. We were very disappointed and left after the first night, even if we already payed 3 nights! We do not consider ourselves to be picky and had great experiences in riads before, but this one was not at all up to our standards!

In the centre of the medina

• Reviewed: 24 May 2015

Riad Chakir is just so beautiful in everyway. It gives the traveller a opportunity to experience real Moroccan culture in an exquisite setting within the walls of the Medina. The staff are so respectful and helpful. I have no problem recommending this Riad.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2015

rooms can be little dark

Spacious triple Suite with seperate lounge area, Well located and near to all attractions. Friendly reception lady who spoke good english and was very helpful re shopping, restaurants, sights to see etc

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

In whole riad you can smell moroccan food,like you are in the kitchen all the time,that is quite annoying.Our room was dark,2 bulbs(one above and one near to bed)didn't work.There was a problem with an electricity in riad/Medina so we didn't have any hot water,internet and light and we were unable to shower,pack our bags before leaving etc.That also cause us a lot of problems like not cheking in and printing boarding pass.Even that wasn't their fault I think that the condition of good tourism is to be complaisant in situations like this.We both have an apartments and when something like that happens we offer not even the lower price but free room instead and all our receptionists know and apply that rule without asking us.When I told the girl on reception that in situations like this is fair to offer us discount she said no,laughed most of the time,refused to contact her supervisor and said if I don't want to pay she will take the money from my credit card anyway.After half an hour of discussion she resolve to forgive us taxes(1.5 euro each).If that happens often(and happens becouse the other receptionist told us that's common occurrence)they should know how to act.Nice memories of their riad and smile on guests faces are so much more important then all the money you earn,you should remember that if work in tourism.Anyway,looking from my perspective,that greed of yours wasn't worth of negative comment.

We stayed in this riad for one night.Location is good(Essaouira is quite small so wherever you stay in medina you're in center).Rooms are clean and comfortable.Guys on reception are very helpful,especially one who was trying to solve things that didn't work.

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Riad Chakir Mogador traveller photo gallery