Reviews of Ryad Alya

8 Bis Derb El Guebbas, Quartier Batha Fes Maroc, Fes El Bali, 30000 Fès, Morocco

#13 of 172 hotels in Fès

9.7

• Marrakech Suite

This riad was on the expensive side (for us) but it was absolutely beautiful. Restored with perfection, like staying in a palace. Good location, big rooftop with great views. Spacious rooms

• Rabat Suite

A charming Riad. Not grand but homely and friendly. Excellent location- whilst in the medina it is easy to find and access I would definitely recommend it

They were unhelpful when we sought dining outside the Ryad. What are the restaurants you recommend? " Look at trip advisor." The transport which they arranged for us between Fez and Marrakech was just awful. Crappy car. Driver who drove in circles around Fez for 40 minutes to meet up with a friend to drive together. So, be advised.

This was a wonderful Ryad experience. Near the Souk. Authentic. Welcoming.

• Casablanca Suite

Great breakfast, but some cereal would be welcome. The driver on our trip struggled with both French & English, but to be fair he wasn't a tour guide.

Great food and the oud player in the evening added atmosphere. Staff always friendly and helpful. Bilingual staff made it easy to communicate. Arranged a day trip which gave us a perspective of the countryside outside Fez

• Fes Suite

I felt this room was rather dark because it has no exterior windows to the outside world...but this is what makes it a quiet room so it is a choice you need to make.

Beautiful traditional Riad. We had the Fes Suite so this is a very large room, private sitting area, large bathroom, King bed, quiet.

• Marrakech Suite

There was a rooster close by :)

My best friend and I just spent 3 great nights at Ryad Alya. The staff made our stay very special, from Ahlam at the front desk who was accommodating and helpful both before and during our stay, to Omar and the rest of the dining staff, and finally to the ladies at the hammam and massage. The ryad helped us to arrange for both a walking tour of Fes and a driving tour to Volubilis, offered a delicious breakfast each morning, and served great dinners accompanied by a sitar player. We also took advantage of the hammam and massage and were not disappointed. Our room, the Marrakech Suite, was large and comfortable with a great view of the medina. Finally, the ryad was in a great spot - into the medina, but just a short walk to cabs.

Nothing, it was perfect

Perfect stay, the staff were incredibly friendly and couldn't be more helpful especially when my girlfriend was unwell one of the days. The room and location were perfect and quiet.

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Nothing to say.... next time I will just need to reserve in advance a giude that speaks also Italian (as my friends prefer), because it is a bit difficult to find at the last minute!!

We had a very nice breakfast. Also I reccomend the traditional dinner that they serve. They also can organize visits around Fez and also to, as example, Volubinis and Meknez. Special remarks for the excellent staff: Lanchen, Hala, Ahlam, Driss and Omar!!

• Casablanca Suite

Excellent staff led by Ahlem who was a most gracious hostess. The facilities were awesome and dinner was excellent. The location is also very good and the view from the terrace is spectacular.

• Tiznit Twin Room

Everything about this place is perfect, the staff the ambience the attention to detail and the location, and The Sensational breakfast served in the Sumptuous internal Courtyard Garden. I would highly recommended it.

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Breakfast was good for its price. The staff who took care of us throughout our stay named Idris, I think was excellent, very pleasant and welcoming. Would have loved to stay there on our return too unfortunately they were booked out.

• Rabat Suite

Breakfast could be a bit more various: 5 types of bread/pastry but no eggs/fruits.

Great location, stunning view from the roof terrace, very friendly and helpful staff, large room with very comfy bed, tasty dinner.

• Tiznit Twin Room

The beds! After a long visit (4 hours) in the medina, we deserved a good rest but could not sleep because the beds were not comfortable!

The Ryad is lovely and the staff is welcoming, polite and helpful. However, the beds were as hard as rock! We had breakfast and lunch and the dishes were plentiful and delicious. A warm attention, the staff included Moroccan donuts (sfenj) in the breakfast after they heard that I liked them! We also a guide they hired for us to visit the medina and the hammam on site and both were very good.

• Tanger Twin Room

Some noise from the street if light sleeper.

Very clean, good location, attractive Riad with very friendly, helpful staff. Skip the massage but book taxi from to the airport through the Riad as makes life much easier for $20.

• Tanger Twin Room

Our room doesn't have any window or view. And the toilet and bathroom is upstairs which is a bit inconvenient. Also, staff told us it's safe to go to the middle of Medina at night (we are 2 girls) and turned out we were a bit shocked as we were followed by some guys there.

The breakfast / dining area is very nice and well decorated

• Meknes Suite

Breakfast was a little hit and miss with too many sweet things and the male staff not as happy as the females (for some reason)

Female staff wonderfully friendly. Gorgeous Riad quite close to the Médina

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Absolutely outstanding. Everything was perfect (aside from hilariously hearing the people 1 floor up have sex-riads are echo chambers people!!!) for the price. This riad is amazing. To being welcomed with a smiling face, to the yummy mint tea and cookies on arrival, to the stunning foyer. I felt like I was in a museum. Upon departure, I was catching the late bus to Merzouga and they kindly let me hang out until then, with more yummy mint tea. If the rest of my nights in Morocco could be this pleasant, I would never go home. Oh, and super close to the Medina, less than 5 min walk. Magnifique!!!!!

Our stay was much too short (less than 20 hours).

The ryad was amazingly beautiful with spacious suites. And the staff was even more spectacular. Hasne was a gracious host. She welcomed us and arranged for a last minute tour guide to meet us early the next morning. She made extra effort to accommodate a late “check out” so our family could enjoy hammam and massages after the half-day tour. She and the staff also set up a spot on the rooftop for the lunch we procured at various stands in the Médina. We felt like royalty staying in a palace! We want to come back and stay longer. This is a very special place.

• Marrakech Suite

Price was too high for value. Lots of outside noise make it difficult to sleep. Wifi connection was bad in room. Had massage and hammam and both were worst I have ever had.

It was perfect.

Oh, where to start?! I spent 2 nights at Ryad Alya. It is one of the loveliest, most comfortable & relaxing places I've ever stayed. I truly didn't want to leave. The interior courtyard is beautiful. The bed & pillows were great. The breakfast was delicious. I loved my room. I enjoyed sitting on the roof-top terrace, watching the sun set. And the staff are without doubt the kindest, most helpful and friendly staff I've ever encountered in my travels.

Fes has gotten unfriendly. People bump into you on the street and don't apologize. The attitude is both arrogant and dismissive. Fes is losing in the competition for tourists.

Lovely central courtyard. Good breakfast with some variety. Staff, especially female daytime desk gal were great.

See comment about breakfast

Excellent restaurant on the rooftop with a good sunset and excellent sunrise. The food at the restaurant was excellent and they were able to cater to my daughters vegetarian requirements. Next time we will enquire about the breakfast before hand as it was only breads and a small portion of porridge, no fruit. I am sure had we asked they would have done something a bit different as they were super helpful in all other respectes

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

It was one of the best hotel I ever been. It was simply perfect. Very kind staff. Beautiful old fashioned hotel and rooms, like a real arabian palace. Cleaness. Financial corectness. Great hospitality. Near to everything. Without this Hotel, Fez would not be such a great experience!

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

We have to carry out luggage by ourselve at the check out time. The staff did not help us at all

Good location. Clean room. The lady staff was very nice and speak English fluently.

• Tiznit Twin Room

Staff were exceptionally keen to be helpful. A lovely riad and after staying in others during my trip, one of my best stays if not the best. Highly recommend staying.

• Tanger Twin Room

It was the best Ryad that we stayed in our 10 days trip around Morocco (also the most expensive, but it was all worth it). Second best breakfast of the trip, and one of the nicest receptionist as well, she ( sorry, I dont remember her name :( ) speaks very fluid english, teached us a lot of things of her culture, and gave her best to help us with the transport. The place is just beautiful, and you should not miss Fez!

• Casablanca Suite

The shop merchants are really agressive, making walking around uncomfortable. The bed could have been softer

Staff was attentive and ths facility was really beautiful. Wife freaked out when we walked in. Thought that I spent a fortune on ths place. - but no. The place was a great price

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Tried the massage, French-speaking only, hard to communicate, but good experience overall.

Staff were really nice and knowledgable, as all our questions were perfectly solved. Moreover, they arranged for a private driver to send us from Fez to Chefchaouena and Casablanca afterwards, which was affordable with 6-seat Mercedes-Benz. Breakfast was good as well, Omar (one of the staff) was helpful and talkative, who provided us with sufficient information about Fez. In one word, we enjoyed the stay here!

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Tanger Twin Room

We wanted to relax on our 2nd night so my boyfriend and I did the 1 hour massage and hamam (turkish bath). Each treatment was 25 euro (100 total for 4 treatments for the both of us). We didn't really enjoy it at all. For the Hamam: We've both been to Turkey and received real Turkish baths and this was not as good. The lady did not speak a word of English so it was really hard to communicate if the water was too hot, too cold, etc. I wish when my mud dried that the lady did not sit in the room on a stool for 10 minutes-- it was kind of awkward. I think she could have left the room so I could relax-- I mean I was pretty much naked except my underwear. The water was too hot for my face most of the time but I never knew if she was going to pour the bucket on my face or body so I was cringing from the hot water most of the time. At one point, she communicated to ask me if I wanted to listen to some music while I waited for the mud to dry. I said yes, thinking that she would put on some light music in the room. I then heard very loud music coming from the hallway and thought immediately that my boyfriend was getting a massage less than 5 feet away and this was disturbing him. I tried asking her to turn off the music but it took a few minutes to find the right hand signals. It just was not as relaxing as I'd imagined. The masseuse also did not speak English and it was hard communicating to her to put more pressure. My boyfriend did not enjoy his massage at all since he said he kept asking her for more pressure but she could not understand him. I did the Hamam first while my boyfriend did the massage (only one person in each room at a time) and they had us sit out in the hall in between our sessions. But they both stood literally one foot away from us on opposite sides so we couldn't really talk about our sessions without awkwardly whispering. My boyfriend told me to ask for more pressure but that she probably wouldn't understand.

The staff was AMAZING! Hassnae was our host and she arranged an airport transfer, city tour and Chefchaouen tour during our stay. She was super communicative through email for months leading up to our stay. Even the day before our stay, she emailed us and asked if there was anything else we needed. When we arrived, she served us mint tea and then took us on a 20 minute tour of the riad and told us some trivia on how a riad is different from a hotel. They have an amazing rooftop seating area and the best food I've eaten in Morocco. The view is incredible from the rooftop-- you can see the entire old city and the walls surrounding it. Be sure to order your dinner the night before since they go out and shop for all fresh ingredients the morning of. We made the mistake of not ordering dinner for when we arrived and we only had the option of chicken tagine. Their salads, cous cous and kebabs are to die for!! Omar was our waiter and he was SO friendly and was always smiling. They usually have wine on hand but one evening they ran out so he ran out and purchased a bottle for us to drink. That is great customer service. The owner, Lahcen, also came around the first night to greet us. He was very helpful through our stay as well.

Everything was fine.

Very well located, just a short walk to the Medina. Wonderful staff, very friendly and helpful. Beautiful terrace with an excelent view, where we had our huge breakfasts and dinners.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Casablanca Suite

Our ONLY complaint were the pillows were a little hard / stiff - made for some sore necks in the morning - but honestly a small thing for such perfection with everything else !

This is one of the best places we've ever stayed. The hospitality was over the top - they really treated us more like important guests visiting their home, rather than regular hotel customers. They went out of their comfort do accommodate all of our needs. The ryad is incredibly beautiful, and our room was really gorgeous. Also, they have one of the best WiFi connection we've had in a hotel.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

As four female friends traveling Riad Alya was an amazing choice. They were super friendly and hospitable and the building is beautiful. Everything was fantastic!

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

• Meknes Suite

Hassnau and the other staff were so nice and welcoming. We had a time crunch and they were very accommodating and helpful to us. Pleasant stay. No complaints.

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

The staff where all great, friendly and very helpful. The bedrooms are very clean. The roof terrace is a lovely bonus and the views from the terrace are incredible. The interior courtyard is a lovely place to relax and have meals. I would always want to stay at the ryad alya if in fes. I am missing it already, but looking forward to my next visit.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

The dinner time of the hotel is upto 10:00 with traditional music, which is kind of annoyed if you plan to sleep early.

The staffs are really nice and warm-hearted. It's far out of my expectation when I found that the hotel provided us with laundry service, for my friend and I were from three-day desert tour with dirty and sand.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Tanger Twin Room

...in order of importance: Wardrobe was small and some of the very few hangers were also defective. The duvet set did not look great but sheets were clean. The room was generally clean even though a bit of hovering wouldn't have hurt. Shower head was a bit of a pain as it could not be pointed properly. Our room had a small window which faced a narrow street in the back of the ryad so it could get a little noisy during the day.

The furniture of the bedroom was very pleasant and authentic. The floor was quite nice as it was made by traditional Moroccan mosaic. The hospitality of the staff made us feel like at home at all time. Staff from reception and waiters were always very attentive and professional. It felt like they really cared about our experience. We had a taxi booked from and to the airport from the reception. They also booked us a very good guide to take us around the medina. Both services were provided with the highest professionalism and quality. We stayed in the Tanger room on ground floor which had two single bed together to create a double bed. The toilette had a small window and was located upstairs in a mezzanine floor which could be accessed through a narrow staircase. Shower head was a bit of a pain as it could not be pointed properly. Our room had a small window which faced a narrow street in the back of the ryad so it could get a little noisy during the day. Night time was very silent. The bed was extremely comfortable. The duvet did not look great but sheets were clean. The room was generally clean even though a bit of hovering wouldn't have hurt. Wardrobe was just ok and some of the very few hangers were also defective. On our last night, we had dinner in, we had some traditional tagine, a delicious vegetarian pastilla and vegetable appetisers. They also organised a traditional doueh player to entertain us during the dinner (we loved it!). All in all, we had a fantastic break and we would definitely recommend to friends and/or go back to Alya Ryad.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

The location of the riad, the building as such, the people working here, the additional help which they are always willing to offer you and probably the best breakfast you can have in Maroc :)

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Nothing to say

Amazing Riad we ever stayed in our Morocco trip. Staff is very helpful and breakfast is very delicious. Recommend to anyone wants to experience a luxury Moroccan stay.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Rabat Suite

We didn't know to ask for the remote controller for the dual air con/heating unit (there were also radiators) so we were cold the first night. But after we got the remote it was warm and comfortable.

The staff were amazing. They were all so helpful and kind. The food was excellent and they served us in our room when we didn't want to go out. And it was stunningly gorgeous. It is even more beautiful than in the photos.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Thanks sooo much your services and the stuff very nice help us many things and told us the sky had the rainbow🌈.Dinner and breakfast is great we like this.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

No. perfect

Yesterday was my girlfriend's birthday and we choose this hotel to spend the night. Stuff here are very enthusiastic, helped me to prepare cake, wine, flowers. The suit is also luxury, if we have time we would like to try other suits.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• Rabat Suite

We didn't like that we felt like a cash machine all the days of our stay. Staff insisted to sell us hammam services and dinner which were way to expensive than outside of the hotel (25 euro per person per day). Also we asked them for the excursion to Chefchaouen and they offered us price 150 euro while the random taxi driver on the street gave us price 100 euro. When you pay 100 euro per room and the avarage price in the other ryads is 50 euro the most, you expect to feel nice and "protected" somehow from your hosts.

We stayed in a Rabat suite which is really very nice room. Said and Omar were really wonderful. The location is very nice, close to Blue gate and easily reachable by taxi on the arrival. Breakfast is good, but could be better.

• Casablanca Suite

Wonderful helpful, kind, friendly staff. Food was excellent and the cooking class was great fun with the lovely ladies in the kitchen. Very glad our friends recommended this Ryad

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Marrakech Suite

We stayed at Ryad Alya on two separate occasions and both were superb. Ryad Alya is a totally delightful ryad with its serene courtyard garden and fountain, magnificent rooms - and is perfectly located for exploring Fez's mystical and magical medina. We dined on a couple of occasions at Alya and the traditional Moroccan meals served were outstanding. Our hosts Hasna, Salim (and Omar on the night shift) could not have been more friendly and welcoming, and were helpful in arranging airport transfers - as well as our trip to Chefchaouen and a guide for Fez. Ryad Alya is simply amazing!

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Casablanca Suite

Ryad staffs are really friendly and accommodating. Very helpful and nice personal touch. They even gave us a quick insight of morrocco history upon arrival. The Casablanca suite is the best!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Casablanca Suite

The dinner is fixed with no menus and a la carte dining.

The price/quality are the best we've stayed in Morrocco. This is a very nice and beautiful place with historic interiors and exteriors. Welcoming staff will make your stay nice and pleasant.Rooms are very big and spacious. Proximity to the Fez Medina with a 5 minute walk to the main tourist routes. Lovely rooftop view of the city.

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Marrakech Suite

The information on this site (no doubt provided by the Riad) that guided our choice was completely untrue. There is NO minibar, hot tub, balcony, fan, washing machine, patio, dressing room, kitchen, private entrance, soundproofing or dining area in the Marrakesh Suite (and I doubt in any of the other rooms). DO NOT BOOK THIS ROOM. Riads are designed for heat to rise. This room is located on the top floor. When the air-con failed it was like a sauna. We opened the window but the street noise went all night. This room is directly under the riads public terrace. It is very noisey at night. The staff here (and I'm sure at all Riads) are motivated by getting every dollar they can out of you and securing a good review. You come back to your Riad so harassed and offended by the way the people treat you in Fez, that you are sooo greatful for a smile and a kind word, you surrender whole heartedly (I believe this is why there are so many gushing reviews). The dinner, which we had to order in the morning (by the way there is no restaurant, there is no bar, and there is no room service), cost 540DHS ($72AU/€50) with no alcohol. This dinner consisted of vegetable soup, vegetable entree, followed by boiled chicken served in a Targine [absolutely not cooked in one], followed by fruit. When you understand how much ingredient and labour costs are in Morocco, you'll be horrified by what a rip-off EVERYTHING is - more expensive than anywhere we've been in Europe or Asia, (including countries like Germany, France and Japan). The Hammam was a very unpleasant experience. I was scrubbed with a modern day scourer mit, my chest still stung a week later, I paid €25 for this pleasure. We dressed modestly and were respectful at all times. We left 2 days early. We were so disappointed, sad and offended at being taken for complete fools. Fez is not an adventure (nor is Marreckesh) it's a nightmare.

This Riad is a beautiful building.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Fes Suite

The staff make you feel very welcome and go out of their way for your comfort. The architecture and design of the place is so rich you can spend your whole stay inside. Thank you Khaled and the rest of the team for a wonderful experience! Staying somewhere else is going to be difficult you set the bar so high for your competition.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Marrakech Suite

Be ready to pay european prices for every extra service: guide to the medina offered by ryad costs 40€ for 4hours (we got a guide just at the blue gate for 10€ for 2hours and it was more than enough), dinner offered in ryad is 25€/person and in medina or around there are plenty of places where you can have dinner starting at 5€/person, taxi pick up offered by ryad from bus station is 10€ ( but any petit taxi only charge you 10-15 dihram). Hammam at ryad is 45 min for 25€ and wasn't really worth it, not a good value for money.

Ryad has very beautiful interior. Its a restored house, decorated in morrocan style, rooms are gorgeous and the view from the terrace is really beautiful. The breakfast was really good and filling and the staff is very friendly and attentive. Location also is good, only a short walk from the blue gate. In our room initially TV was not working and bathroom had a very little light, so they upgraded us to a bigger room - Rabat suite, which was really huge, like a palace :)

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

We liked absolutely everything! Very comfortable beds, very very clean, very good breakfast, excellent staff, great location.

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Staff, location, architecture, food, price: all are as good as they get.

Bed was very hard, but ok. We didn’t like the pillows

Our suite was great and Ahlam was lovely and very helpful

Hamman

The suite and Riad

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Lighting poor and sparely furnished room shaped like a corridor. Bathroom was a bit shabby

Staff were very good indeed

hardwarming and welcoming Very helpful and lovely Breakfast Marrocean Style

• Rabat Suite

Would like to try non tajine dishes.

Wonderful and friendly staffs. The decor of the Ryad is amazing and room is big and inviting.

• Meknes Suite

I wish the window in the room facing to the city will open. Only opens the one to the patio

PLACE IS GOOD.

A new bottle of water each day would have been nice.

Breakfast is excellent,a lot of food,different types each day.

The best riad in Fes. Great breakfast

• Tiznit Twin Room

All the best. Best breakfast in Morocco!

Accomodating

• Marrakech Suite

Nice riad. Very polite, helpful stuff :-) Nice and big rooms / suits.

Bedroom extremely dark

Breakfast, staff, décor

• Rabat Suite

TV didn’t work much of the time

Staff, beauty of room, willingness of the staff to get medicine.

nothing at all

The staff is extremely friendly, the hotel is perfeclty located in the old medina and the breakfast is sublime.

• Rabat Suite

Wish the breakfast included an egg and yogurt

The riad itself was gorgeous, the rooms smelled lovely. View from terrace is great.

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Variety on offer and quality of bread

• Marrakech Suite

Lovely place and very friendly and helpful staff.

Not easy to find when you come for the first time

Friendly staff, beautifull riad, good citchen

• Meknes Suite

Gorgeous riad with amazing rooms, terrace, hamam and breakfast! Dinner is a must there as well!

• Ouarzazate Twin Room

Very nice and the staff are very helpful. We had to leave early and the staff offered to put our breakfast in a bag for us.

• Tiznit Twin Room

This place was amazing. The staff are incredibly helpful and it is really well located. Highly recommended.

• Rabat Suite

Nothing, everything was great.

The staff were amazing. We felt very welcome. Their massage therapist was world class.

• Tanger Twin Room

I go to sick from the coffee but otherwise then food was amazing.

The staff was very accommodating and friendly.

room can be bigger.

The staff is very very friendly and we enjoy our breakfast here!

Browse Ryad Alya traveller photo gallery