Reviews of Germanoff House 4 stars

Car Samuel 57, 6000 Ohrid, Macedonia

#26 of 95 B&Bs and Inns in Ohrid

9.7

A very central apartment with an amazing view of the lake
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The bathroom - it would have been nice to have had shower instead of a bath with a shower hose as was difficult to stand up as the ceiling was too low

Clean towels every day and the croissants were a really nice touch

Fantastic view, the interior is authentic and good, the room...
    • Piano Room

The bad was not very good but ok

Fantastic view, the interior is authentic and good, the room was large and the piano was so good, and the balcony is large enough for everything :)

Nice, no-frills place to stay in the centre of Ohrid old town.
    • Piano Room

We booked for 5 and the room was for 4, so we had to pay for an extra room. The property was described as a hotel but it’s more of a guest house.

It was nice and clean and the view from the piano room was divine. The location is great.

The place is great!

The place is great! Host is very friendly. Room with terrace is a perfect place to relax, drink morning coffee with lake view in the sun. House is located in the old town, close to the lake, monuments and restaurants. It was really enjoyable stay.

Good location but very small room.

The room was very small - not much bigger than the size of the bed. We could not find out how to get into the property and had to rely on the help of a neighbour. The room was ok for one night, but I wouldn't recommend it for any longer.

Spacious bathroom

Real meaning of perfect is this house.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

No kitchen if you want to cook.

Just in the middle of city centrum. Really perfect lake view for top floor from balkony. Comfortable big rooms. You can wash your face in lake while swimming in the morning.

Wonderful town, very nice people, beautiful view of lake Ohrid
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The AC unit worked well but it was very old and noisy. The noise was also inconsistent so it made it a bit difficult to fall asleep. They should fix them or change them. The second night, we decided to open the windows but there was music coming from the beach, probably from bars and/or people having a good time. It wasn't very loud but you could hear it well. Also, the streets are very narrow and the property is a bit difficult to get to. Parking is on the street right in front of the property. We were parked literally right in front of the door so that our car didn't block the road. I understand the owners live in that building and they reserve a spot for their guests but if you leave and come back (and someone took your spot), or if there's another guest that has a car, I'm not sure what they do (I think they look for another parking spot in the streets nearby). That was not an issue for us though.

This property is very well located, very close to Potpeş beach (pronounced Potpesh), Tsar Samuil's fortress, the ancient theater and Jovan Kaneo church, in the heart of the medieval city centre. It is not a hotel (no reception, restaurant, common area). We had the entire third floor (2 rooms), with one bathroom for both (outside of the rooms). One room had a very nice balcony with a view of lake Ohrid. It is owned by a family. The son seems to be in charge of greeting guests and tending to their needs. They are very nice people and they make it easy to communicate with them if you need anything (you can simply knock on their door and they come right away, or you can call them). We stayed for 2 days and had plenty of things to do without feeling the need to drive anywhere. This was our favourite place in Macedonia.

Great view of Ohrid Lake in old town below the castle.
    • Piano Room

Great view of Ohrid Lake in old town below the castle. It is also so close to the center. Special thanks to owners who helped us while the streets were closed.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Everything was perfect!

Everything was perfect! Germanoff House is located in great place in Ohrid - the centre of an old town, but in a quiet street, very close to the beach. The double room isn't big, but has a nice view and very big bathroom including towels, hairdryer, shampoos and shower gels. The standard was like in good hotel with every day towel changing and room cleaning. What's more, every day we had crossaints supply :)). There was also air- conditioner, which is crucial in this region, TV, fridge, kettle - everything you need. We didn't expected such a quality for this price - it's realy a hotel standard. The hosts are nice and helpful, the owner helped us a lot. Higly recommended!

A timeless destination with old world charm and world class service.
    • Piano Room

There was nothing to dislike. We only wished we had more time to spend at Germanoff House.

The staff at Germanoff House were phenomenal. From regular and clear communication, easy and accurate driving directions though the beautiful labyrinth that Ohrid is, to ensuring all of our expectations were exceeded. They personalised their service to our needs and went above and beyond to help us retrieve some property we lost at Sv Naum (an hours drive from Germanoff House) through their own selfless and tireless efforts. I cannot recommend the accomodation any more highly.

Our last three days were in the so-called Piano Room: large,...

We arrived around 10 pm local time (plane was late). Germanoff House in total darkness (though of course we had a booking). Knocking on the door and ringing 'Reception' bell had no effect. We stood outside with our cases, feeling ridiculous. Eventually I managed to rouse someone who spoke English in the house opposite, who very kindly got someone (the owner's granddaughter?) to let us in - all this took over half an hour. We were shown into a v poky (if cheap) little room, with nowhere even to put our things exc. in the bathroom. But next day - moved into the fine 'Piano Room'! see above. The owner is kindly, but doesn't speak any Western European language, and isn't brilliant at basic arithmetic (she spent hours trying to tot up our bill, given uncertain exchange rates!). They don't take credit/debit cards, despite what it said on our booking form. Everything is reckoned through euros - we weren't warned of this. WizzAir was in several ways pretty rough-and-ready, though of course cheap...

Our last three days were in the so-called Piano Room: large, well-furnished, with a nice balcony overlooking the lake (art-deco wrought ironwork). A few basics provided to make a breakfast - otherwise, one could go next door (Villa Santa Sofia) and pay. A quite exceptional room, and inexpensive: 60 euros a night, but we got a discount to 50, thanks to a phone talk with the owner's English-speaking grandson. Well located in picturesque Old Town - quiet, but close to harbour etc., and 'New town' with shops.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

This is a small privately owned guest house set on a narrow...

This is a small privately owned guest house set on a narrow cobbled street right by the centre of Ohrid. The upstairs apartment is spacious and the balcony offers beautiful views of the lake.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Clean and spacious room with lovely view
    • Piano Room

We would have liked proper tea and coffee making facilities and some utensils to prepare a simple plate of fruit or bowl of muesli.

The room was spacious and clean, lovely balcony, view fantastic.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

Mesmerising view of the Ohrid Lake and very spacious and beautiful room

This was not my first stay in Germanoff House. I frequently travel to Ohrid and once I found this house I do not want to stay elsewhere. Located right in the old town, in perfectly restored house very near the main square and a stone away from St Sophia Church. I usually have a double room, I like it very much, but this time I got the Piano Room. It was absolutely fantastic. Very spacious room with a large glass doors to the terrace. And the view was mesmerising. In Ohrid having the view of the lake is the best you can do for yourself. I can not tell what time was better to sit in comfortable armchairs on the terrace and sip coffee. Early morning, when sun was raising or at sun set. Even during night the view is beautiful. There is a flat screen TV, but with such a view I did not even turn it on. There is a water cattle, tea and coffee bags so you can make a hot drink at any time. Plus croissants for the morning. Bathroom is rather large and you can move freely without stepping on anything. Spotless clean, very cosy and very nice hosts. One more thing: In the old houses in Ohrid there is frequently the smell of mould or you can feel stale moisture in the air. Here you can relax, clean, fresh and dry air is everywhere. When they restored the building they obviously made a very good job. Next time, I will book Piano room for sure.

Bijou, very nice

Only to have on display the Internet, the kettle leaked so could do with replacing

Great location,small room but bathroom made up for it, management were great and very quick to respond

Nice stay
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Centrally located, beautiful villa with the breathtaking view of the lake, very friendly host, Mr Zoran, who also arranged for us a transfer to Berat. Would love to come back again

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Warm room in very cold weather really matters

I stayed in a small double room for two nights. The room is not very big due to the large king size bed, but it was very comfortable. The bathroom was rather big with two big windows. WI FI was strong. It was the second time that I stayed in the same room. As I travelled with friends we all stayed in different villas and had different experiences with our accommodation. I was lucky to stay in Villa Germanoff as the heating was fantastic. Everybody else was cold in their rooms in other houses. As in January and February it is rather cold in Ohrid excellent heating was a great asset. As winter is a low season most houses for rent did not invest in heating system, so guests have to heat their rooms with airconditioners, which is not enough. Villa Germanoff had not only the airconditioning, but also proper heating system. If you are coming to Ohrid in winter season this is the very best place to stay. If I return to Ohrid I will certainly stay here.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Although I had a reservation for this house, I was told that...

Although I had a reservation for this house, I was told that it was not possible to stay there when I arrived to Ohrid. They sent me an e-mail only two hours before my arrival time. They said that I could stay in another house nearby - which had a smaller room, smaller bed and less options. In addition to this scandal, the guy at the other house asked for more money - which was totally unfair!

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Disappointing but still good value for money

When we arrived, we found out that the owners are away and just left the key with a girl from a neighbor restaurant, with insufficient level of English, that just wanted to give us the key and take our passports - that is irresponsible. They should at least let us know before we arrive. The day after, a nice old lady came with no knowledge of English at all. The room was very small and the "Private parking" that was promised is just a place on the side of a narrow street - very scary for rental cars. Overall, we were very disappointed.

The place is clean and the value for money is good.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Hidden gem of affordable accommodation

Building work right next door we could hear, but honestly did not affect our stay as all screened off and apart from noise was unobtrusive!

Not expecting breakfast, so the prepacked chocolate croissant was a pleasant surprise and a good start to the day. First impression on arrival at night is "Oh my god where are we going, is it safe" but to be honest it does feel safe and even though it is up a cobbled/slabbed back street, it is perfectly central and everything is within an easy walking distance. We upgraded the first night to the top floor with balcony - very spacious and beautiful views us bathroom has a bath. This is perfect for families as two big double room and bathroom. Shower is hand held over bath tho. Our remaiming two nights we returned to our smaller room with huge bathroom, big shower but no bath. No balcony and cosy. Although cheap the service and comfort was excellent. Planning to book the Piano room for next visit.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Room with a view....
    • Piano Room

Bed is REALLY hard! Obviously we all have different opinions in beds and the host can't please everyone, but this was like a park bench!

Excellent location, charming and informative host. Huge room, nice balcony with beautiful lake view, serviced daily, decent shower, hot drinks facilities, really enjoyed our stay.

The perfect place to stay in the heart of Ohrid
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The host was extremely friendly and helpful. He personally collected us from the airport and dropped us off again, and was so knowledgeable about the local area. The apartment was in the perfect location in the ancient part of the city, on a charming cobbled street, and the apartment itself was beautifully presented, clean and spacious. The view from the terrace across the lake was breathtaking and we felt completely at home from the minute we arrived.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

My family and I stayed for 4 nights at the top apartment.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The bed was too soft for me....

My family and I stayed for 4 nights at the top apartment. The view from the balcony was amazing. Rooms were spacious, comfortable and very clean. Highly recommend staying here.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Nice rooms in a good location

Arrival and departure were a bit difficult as there is no reception. Booked room was rather small and had no view. Ask for the piano room overlooking the lake of Ohrid.

Nice appartment house in good location in the old town of Ohrid. Restaurants and the harbour are just a few steps away. Very friedly owner.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Great location and value for money
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The air-conditioner in one of the rooms had to be switched off during the night due to the noise it was making. There is a bath tub with a hand-held shower but no screen or shower curtan, so the floor gets quite wet.

The best thing about the villa is its location. Being in the old part of Ohrid it is within walking distance to many of the attractions. The beach is a couple of minutes walk. Restaurants and various shops are within a short walking distance. We booked the apartment on the top floor, which comprises two separate double rooms and a shared bathroom. One of our rooms had a magnificent view of the lake, beach and church St Sofia. Sitting on the balcony watching the sunset over the lake was magical. The other room was a bit smaller with no balcony. The staff member we interacted with was polite and helpful. We arrived before check-in time and although the room was not yet ready, we were provided with the room keys, permitted to leave the luggage in the room and use the bathroom to refresh. Free parking in front of the villa was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

The hotel is cute and well located, but the room I stayed in...

I was not happy that when I arrived I was not explained anything, only placed with a demand for my passport to keep. It was not until 24hrs after check in that anything was explained to me.

The hotel is cute and well located, but the room I stayed in was very small with the toilet basically right next to the head of the bed (obviously in a separate room). This is uncomfortable if there is more than 1 of you in the room. The staff were very nice and apologetic about feeling a bit misled about the balcony (which is for only some rooms).

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Magnificent lake view!
    • Piano Room

We booked the piano room because our daughter likes to play the piano. Unfortunately it was way out of tune so it wasn't a pleasure to play/listen.

The lake view was magnificent! The room was big with a nice big bathroom. We have 2 children aged 15 and 11 and we felt there was plenty of space for us in the "piano room".

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

A very friendly and helpful host.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

It was a bit noisy at the weekend because of clubs and discos nearby.

A very friendly and helpful host. Really close to a beach. Nice view from the balcony.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

A romantic room in an ideal location
    • Piano Room

The moldy spots in the bathroom could use a little extra scrubbing ;)

This place is perfectly located in the old town close to everything. Our room was clean and spacious with a nice balcony that overlooked the water. We would definitely book here again.

Perfect lake view, clean rooms and friendly staffs.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Perfect lake view, clean rooms and friendly staffs.

Lake views

It can be difficult to drive to

Excellent location in the old city, great owners who are willing to help

Perfect location for exploring the old town.

Perfect location for exploring the old town. Zoran the host of the villa was great, very helpful and hospitable.

Amazing room with an amazing view.
    • Piano Room

Amazing room with an amazing view. Would definitely go back.

Very good location and extremely kind staff!

Very good location and extremely kind staff! Thank you for making our stay so wonderful!

No Wi-fi and no staff.

Wi-fi is not working totally. Owner of the hostel is not in there so nobody interested with us.

Hostel is close to the center and clean.

Cosy room with a nice view and perfect location
    • Piano Room

Best location, super friendly ...I would go back!

Pleasant stay

Not available breakfast

View

Perfect
    • Piano Room

Beautiful view and everything closeby

Perfect stay!

Everything was perfect

The view from the bacony is amazing. Big living room! Nice bathroom

Clean rooms, central location

Shower was leaking at the time, can be noisy at the street

Great location, clean room

The magic of Ohrid.

No issues all good.

Great view from the balcony & super location. The host was really friendly and helpful as well.

Great property | great location | great staff

Zoran, the owner, is a great guide and the true value added of the place (which is in any case a great place in a great location).

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

One of the most wonderful stays I've ever had. And I traveled 105 different countries.
    • Piano Room

Location,location, location and a view. What else do you need?

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

excellent location and accommodation! Zoran the owner is simply kind and expert!

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Cozy small room, unfortunately loud construction work next door.

Construction works in front of the house caused a lot of noise.

Nice cozy room, small but two persons can manage.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Piano Room

Beautiful, spacious room (we had the piano room), friendly owners, great location in the centre of ohrid, amazing view over the lake

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Excellent location, comfortable stay

towels smelled a little musty

location was excellent

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Great location, really friendly people.

Great location, really friendly people.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

Great location and nice comfortable rooms

Great location and nice comfortable rooms

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Lovely location, very friendly owner, beautiful Town,...

Lovely location, very friendly owner, beautiful Town, delicious food.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2016

Good view from the balcony

Having booked a double bedroom apartment, upon arrival we were faced with two separate bedrooms with joined bathroom. Of course the owner was no where to be found to explain the whole situation and since it was Easter holiday we didn't have a choice but to stay in the one room with two small children. Also we were planning to pay by credit card as it is stated on Booking, but at the end it was not possible so we had to pay in cash without a receipt of course. Definitely we will not be coming back, nor we would recommend this place to families.

Good view from the balcony

• Reviewed: 27 March 2016

Located in the charming old part of the town with several...

They don't have an actual reception, which made communicating with the staff a bit clumsy. But through the internet it all worked out nicely.

Located in the charming old part of the town with several good restaurants near by. At least my room had a splendid view over lake Ohrid.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

The villa's location is just at the center of historic...

Air conditioner

The villa's location is just at the center of historic downtown. We got the up floor with a great lake and the city view. FYI, top floor has two rooms belonging only to you. The bathroom is between these two rooms. Rooms and the bathroom were very clean. The owner was a wise person. You can enjoy listening him anything about Ohrid.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2016

Due to renovation, we were moved to Vila Dea.

Due to renovation, we were moved to Vila Dea...an excellent hotel. We loved the lakeview from the balcony, the room and location. The short distance from old city was perfect for enjoying a walk by the lake. We enjoyed our stay there a lot!

• Reviewed: 15 October 2015

Great piano apartment with the view of the Ohrid lake!

Great piano apartment with the view of the Ohrid lake! Situated in the heart of Ohrid, clean, spacious and comfortable - very good place to stay. The host is nice and helpful. Theres a place to park your car. Definitely recommend!

• Reviewed: 28 September 2015

A small and good hotel with very good aspect.

By the Booking description it is possible to pay with Visa/Mastercard; we asked it the previous evening just in case, the answer was "yes", but finally they didn't accept the card-payment. (It was especially annoying, because in the evening we withdraw denars for the dinner - so this "misunderstanding" duplicated the banking fees.)

A small and good hotel with very good aspect.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2015

Located in the old part of town and wonderful to be able to...

we did not get the balcony room as booked but ended up with a cramped bedroom and oversized bathroom

Located in the old part of town and wonderful to be able to walk everywhere

• Reviewed: 23 August 2015

Very charming place, in the heart of Ohrid, with a...

Very charming place, in the heart of Ohrid, with a beautiful view over the lake. Sweet and friendly host. Clean and comfortable. Very good breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

Well located and a nice room (Piano Room)

Neither an apartment nor a hotel. But the owner provided things like a plate and wine glasses when we asked Parking very tricky.

Well located and a nice room (Piano Room)

• Reviewed: 6 August 2015

We had the top rooms for one night.

We had the top rooms for one night. Nice place, nice rooms, nice owners! Fantastic balcony with a spectacular view over lake Ohrid. We will come back...

• Reviewed: 2 August 2015

The Owners are really nice, as well as the view.

Limited parking space as it is in the old city. Also the room description is misleading, so the Piano room (Klavierzimmer) does neither have a bathtub nor a filled up Minibar or windows and doors being soundproof. So the music from somewhere in the city or the sounds from the staircase might disturb. Please be aware in case you intend to book the advertised apartment, this is not a closed apt. The apt is actually two separated double bed rooms and a shared bathroom with bathtub, that are all accessible from the hallway in the upper floor, which means if you book one of this rooms you might share the bath in case the other room is also occupied.

The Owners are really nice, as well as the view. Breakfast would be in a next door Hotel, as they are not allowed to serve. The Owner reserved us a parking spot in the street just in front of the house.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

My boyfriend and I had an extremely pleasant stay with the...

My boyfriend and I had an extremely pleasant stay with the Germanoff guest house. It's run by Zoran and his son, and they're the most welcoming and helpful people I think I've ever met! They are on hand next door if you need help with anything. We booked the piano room which is very spacious, clean, comfortable and has good facilities (the shower is lovely!). We booked it mainly for the view you get from the balcony. It's stunning! The location seriously couldn't be better. You are a 1 minute walk from amazing restaurants and the lake where you can get lovely boat tours and water taxis to all your favourite places! The prices reflect the time of year obviously and we headed there in June, just before the peak season. Even at it's to price, his accommodation is seriously good value for money and I can't recommend it enough. We will definitely be coming back! Thank you to Zoran and his family for welcoming us and ensuring we had a wonderful stay!

• Reviewed: 29 May 2015

The owner is so nice and helpful.

I've had a problem when making the booking via booking.com. It has been resolved without creating much trouble thanks to the owner.

The owner is so nice and helpful. He tried to arrange everything for the guests to be comfortable. The view of the room is breathtaking.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2015

The calm, the view, the good location in downtown

The room had no bathroom and the one on the floor had to be shared with another room. There was no window or fresh air facility in the bathroom.

The calm, the view, the good location in downtown

• Reviewed: 6 April 2015

Superb location in the old town of Ohrid.

Lack of a window in the bathroom, hard to control the temperature (out of season).

Superb location in the old town of Ohrid. Very nice view, comfy bed, lots of space.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2015

The view was superb.

The place was freezing at night. We definitely needed more covers. Hauling suitcases up steep, cobblestone alleys could be a chore for older people.

The view was superb. Staff was very accommodating and helpful.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2015

Good location, satellite tv, cheap laundry service (1 euro...

Be clear that the cheaper double room we booked online was not the room pictured- the pictured room is the Piano Room (which is stunning).

Good location, satellite tv, cheap laundry service (1 euro per item, underwear free)

• Reviewed: 17 January 2016

Incredible location, proprietor provided amazing service.

Incredible location, proprietor provided amazing service. Beautiful property right in the old town.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2016

Nice location.

During the night might be a bit noisy, if your room is just above the street.

Nice location. The Old City is always a go. Awesome.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

No parking space as mentioned and shared bathroom as not mentioned for our room

• Reviewed: 11 December 2015

Located in the middle of the old town.

Located in the middle of the old town. Very friendly owner who can give you all the information you want.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2015

Excellent location, excellent value.

Excellent location, excellent value. Stayed in the double room which has no view, however the room is bright, clean and a bargain

• Reviewed: 17 September 2015

everytink, very nice poeple,

everythink was perfect

everytink, very nice poeple,

• Reviewed: 14 September 2015

Location and friendly staff

Location and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 17 August 2015

Excellent location - in the heart of Ohrid Old Town!

Everything was perfect!

Excellent location - in the heart of Ohrid Old Town! Fabulous view from the terrace. The piano room is huge and luxorious.

There are also 20 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Germanoff House traveller photo gallery