Reviews of Dean Hamlet Hotel 3 stars

Triq Luigi Apap, STJ 3223 St Julian's, Malta

very comfortable stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The location is not bad but it didn't meet my expectations from reading the description. You have to actually walk up a small street from the main road to reach the top, then turn into the area where the building is located. The street is too dark at night for finding the road back.

The facility is good, the room is tidy and super comfortable, most appliances are new. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Travel info is provided.

Could be well rated but unfortunately it’s more like a youth hostel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor service/price ratio, although it has nice rooms the service is more of a hostel, they receive groups of young people partying until late in the night making it impossible for guests to sleep, which happened 2 nights in a row and despite the complaints the staff just allowed it. Totally unacceptable in my opinion when I am paying almost 100€ per night, if I want to stay at a party hostel I would have cheaper. Also staff needs to upgrade their knowledge on the local transportation system, since I was given wrong information on how to travel to the airport and ended up doing it better by myself. There is room for improvement, they have a nice place and I am sure they can work on the service provided.

Location, clean simple rooms but more than enough. Nice bathrooms.

Nice, cheap, good value for what you pay
    • Studio (2 Adults)

The breakfast was really bad. We went out to get our breakfast somewhere else.

The rooms were big and nice. The beds were a bit hard, but that wasn't a problem for us. Furthermore the location and the pool were great. The bathroom is small, but that wasn't a problem for us

First time to Malta and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Would recommend their penthouses
    • Penthouse Suite

WiFi was weak. Once we understood that the pool is managed externally we were okay with having to buy drinks there. Very well managed with friendly staff.

Location, friendliness of staff, housekeeping

Location, property very basic, budget property.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Beds. 2 twins put together on a platform which the mattresses kept sliding, not to mention they were uncomfortable. Air conditioning was controlled by management, never really cooled off or stayed on continuously. Very annoying.

Location, property very basic, budget property.

It was a perfect location and okay for the money we paid
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We didn't pre-order breakfast but decided to pay for one - all I can say is DON'T it was appalling. Absolutely horrible!

The hotel was very central and the Manager managed to get us a parking space in the next door block of apartments which was very helpful. Staff were very friendly and the room was okay for the money we paid.

Good value for money, very close to restaurants bars and...

Weren’t allowed to take your own drinks (even water!) down by the pool. Air con broke in one room but we were relocated to one with working air con ASAP.

Good value for money, very close to restaurants bars and clubs, and a bus stop for transport all over the island a 3 minute walk away. Very clean rooms/ bathrooms.

Excellent location, room requiring TLC
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We had booked a ‘standard room’ and standard is exactly what we got. The hotel room definitely needed more attention. The air conditioning unit dispelled large pieces of dirt once turned on, as it was very warm it was difficult to sleep without air con on so had to put up with the dirt. There was no kitchen facility just a fridge and kettle, which had to be replaced as was broken. The room had no balcony but a large window. The window opened about 3 or 4 foot wide and was a straight drop down 4 floors which could be very dangerous for children or intoxicated adults! The bed was two mattresses pushed together leading to falling in the middle on numerous times throughout the night and our bed clothing was changed only once during our stay after we had requested. Lastly, the TV had 5 channels none of which had a clear picture. While the hotel has much potential and the decor satisfactory it needs more attention to detail for guests. We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday despite these issues however on returning to St Julian’s will definitely be paying more to stay in another of the many hotels around area.

The location of the hotel was excellent, right in the heart of St Julians. Spinola bay, restaurants and shops all within minimal walking distance. St Julian’s is such a gorgeous holiday location and would definitely recommend for couples or families of any age. Staff were pleasant and could not be faulted.

The view from the penthouse was good!
    • Penthouse Suite

Electricity was broken and the room was very dark. The stove was also broken and it was hard to cook.

The view from the penthouse was good! Location is good in the center.

The night receptionist was really friendly.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The bed was really soft and really need to be upgraded. The overall hotel seems to have a lot fo unnecessarily rule eg. limited opening time to the pool. They even charge 5euro to just call a taxi on the street for you. (25% commision?? without notifying customer? This 1990 ways of running a business made me felt they have to change their mindset to be more customer orientated instead of trying to take advantage of customers.

The night receptionist was really friendly. location is good.

Nice hotel but awful administration
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very stingy hotel for the price you pay and very strange rules. The temperature on the aircon is fixed and quite warm. They don't allow you to even bring water to the swimming pool to force you to buy their own drinks. The check out is very early at 10am and there is no flexibility at all or option for a later check out.

The rooms are nice, the location is incredible and it has a swimming pool.

Good value for money!
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Good value for money! Rooms nice, clean and decent size. Breakfast was a bit random but perfect for what we needed. If I had one complaint it would be the bed, ours was two tins together that kept separating in the middle which wasn’t the comfiest but would have been fine as two singles.

I booked the hotel for my husband and his friends as a...
    • Studio (3 Adults)

I booked the hotel for my husband and his friends as a present and hoped that the booking will be charged from my card before their arrival. But it wasn't and my husband had to pay on arrival. I was quite upset with the situation. The hotel staff didn't try to solve the problem.

Very nice and reasonable hotel in Malta.

The breakfast is a little bit boring, and there are some rooms on the ground floor don't get natural light.

Location, comfort, kindness of the staff.

Good place with no noise.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The only thing I didn’t like was the breakfast. There was no many options and the options we had wasn’t very tasty. The internet was a mess. It disconected itself many times.

Everything in general was comfortable and normal I liked a lot that we had little fridge and we could shop fresh food. Everything was very clean. I didn’t hear any noise during the night.

Clear, cozy, 2 minutes walking from bus stations and center of night life city.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

In my room description was mentioned sea view and the hotel doesn’t have this type of rooms. Maybe was a missunderstunding from our side.

Very near from the bus station, is in the center of saint julians, 2 min walking from the port. Very clear, the hotel has also a swimming pool. I am traveling a lot and I recomand this hotel even if you are going with family or partener.

The location of the so-called hotel is the only positive...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

All aspects except the location were a complete disaster, it is simply unacceptable and I really don’t understand how this establishment is not subject to health and sanitary controls. We initially booked a 3 nights stay, but had to move after the first night (full fees , no refund) due to the poor conditions. 1.) we received a semi-basement room, with grates at the window and almost no natural lights 2) it was horribly dirty and worn as can be seen in the pictures 3) the pillow was yellow with stains 4) there were blod spots on the blanket covers 5) there were spiders in the room 6) the bathroom was horribly decrepit, with mold stains and smelled like old mold and chlorine 7) there was a used soap bar in the shower, proof that no one has cleaned it before our checkin 8) in the bed, there were hairs We arrived late and had no time to change the hotel that night, but did it in the morning The reception person could not change our room arguing that the hotel was fully booked. Nonchalantly, he said that usually they can accomodate the requests of guests from the basement to move to a higher floor, but not this time. So we gathered that they are aware of the situation but just have no interest in making amends. Everything about the room was old, decrepit, smelly and worn-out, as if no improvements had been made since the ‘70s. It was a horrible experience, definetely not worth any money. They say it is a 3star hotel but didn’t even have the standards of a decent road-side motel.

The location of the so-called hotel is the only positive feedback I can give

Good for budget travelers, that's it.
    • Quadruple Room

The staff tried to give us a different type of room then what I booked. The receptionist was really rude when I told him that the room was dirty and the lights weren't working. He blamed it on construction going on in the street, but it was old dust and hairs everywhere. The table was diety and bathroom was moldy. The bathroom door handle came off and one of us got locked in. They advertise a pool, which isn't part of the hotel. It's part of a restaurant located in the hotel and is only open 10-18 o'cklock. They had a birthday party going on for an entire day, with people who weren't even hotel guests. We couldn't use the pool two days out of our 3-day stay. Last but not least, there is a bar very close to the hotel, so it is impossible to sleep during the weekend until 3-4 am.

The location was really nice, bus connections are available to visit the rest of the island. Lots of restaurants are close by.

Location only and noting else.
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Room 413-wifi conection slow, breakfast worst I ever had, small shower cabin, ugly furniture, very low water pressure in shower, uncomfortable bed, dusty flors etc.

Location only and noting else. This hotel is for backpackers only.

Very good localization.
    • Studio (2 Adults)

Last night there was mouse scratching noise audible, I think that it was coming from the roof or attic because we slept on the last floor. Except that everything was perfect.

Very good localization. Close to restaurants, bus stops, Spinola Bay, but very quiet in the night. Personel is helpful and kind.

Good position. To me price is too high compared with the offer
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It’s a 3 star hotel. I usually don’t stay in 3 stars so i cannot compare it to other hotel to say it is in line with expectations or not. But the price is high compared to the services and quality in general. Breakfast is (sorry to be bold) ridiculous, even if i paid for it i was not able/willing to have breakfast there. The hotel smell very badly. Position is excellent in St Julian. So may be you Pay for the position but for the rest is overpriced (i paid ar 90eur/night)

Position

Enjoyable 3 night stay
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Tiny shower cubicle and a very soft mattress made for an uncomfortable sleep.

Great staff at reception and brilliant location. The pool area was great as well for sunbathing.

Clean rooms, new and clean bathroom.
    • Quadruple Room

Breakfast is a misunderstanding. Old eggs, cheese, ham and old nutella-kind thing. That is all for breakfast. Plastic cups for coffee. Do not eat there.

Clean rooms, new and clean bathroom. Nice personnel. Great location.

Location was very good.
    • Penthouse Suite

Poor Breakfast. Very disappointed with the Presentation and lack of choice of food items.

Location was very good. We ordered dinner from Rasoi Restaurant and it was delicious.

Cleanness, towels changed everyday, location - close to city...

However it was clean, litters/rubish were not removed even every second day. Good coffee described above was ‚served’ in plastic cups which was highly uncomfortable. Staff was doing their best to make everyone feel welcome but hotel seems to suffer from lack of good manager to keep it all together. I didn’t like that despite it was decsribed that we will have glasses for wine in the room, there wasn’t any. Breakfast is waste of time and you sit at destroyed and not cleaned tables, but we did enjoy coffee.

Cleanness, towels changed everyday, location - close to city center and bus stops. Good coffee. Wi-fi.

I really enjoy my stay in Dean Hamlet very good position in the centre of the town
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The lineen the first night was dirty and the bathroom towels either.

The position of the hotel is perfect just in the centre of saint Julian and good value of money

Good location and clean room.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was very hot. We were locked out of the thermostat so when we asked the front desk to help, they said that it was controlled in the manager office and they could not adjust it. So they said open your window, the window with out a window screen and easy to climb in too. Also the pictures on booking for the pool are not up to date. The pool is ran down.

Good location and clean room.

Irritating
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The most frustrating thing was the carelessness of the housekeeping staff. They make a lot of noise very early in the morning. Additionally, as the "do not disturb sign" is not provided, they knock on every room door again early in the morning. It looks to me they run the show (not the management team) irrespective of standard hotel practices, so (I suspect) to finish their job early. Very bad!!! The front desk was fine. An establishment like this cannot just have 3 viewable channels on the TV. I had requested a quiet room and in spite of the hotel being half empty when I arrived they gave me a room with the window facing a construction site where sledgehammers where being used

Overall it wouldn't be a bad establishment if it weren't for the major pitfalls as per above. room was large and comfortable

The location of the hotel is very good, next to bus stop,...

You have one of the WORST breakfast i've ever had in hotel. There all week long was the same and very poor. There was two waiters - one of them was really nice and carrying, trying to make guests comfortable, but the second one was lazy as fuck. All the time he was checking his phone, didn't or pretending not to understand questions like "the bread is over, can i have some?" when i asked him about refill jam, he told me "no, there's no more" and what more he seems to be angry about questions. So I'm asking - what the hell he was doing there?? I can understand a lot of things, seriously, even the breakfast sucks, when you have nice and helpful people, it's just easier to take. But i hate ignorance, the second guy shouldn't work with people at all, his behaviour was fuly unproffecional.

The location of the hotel is very good, next to bus stop, restaurants, bay, commercial center. Also all the reception and room service was great - very helpful, kind, smiling. Room service at it self was awesome, one of the best i've experienced in hotels :D Respect for all you ladies! you make really good job! Big plus for air condition and view at the bay.

Would have been excellent if the AC worked and we were given the correct bed.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We were supposed to have a single, double bed, but instead got 2 twins. There was also no working air conditioning. The room was warmer than the outside air.

Good value for money, but beyond a safe and quiet place to sleep, not much more to offer.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Struck me like a hotel for teenagers and groups of young people. Very basic, and the breakfast was a little 'too basic'. Restaurant staff 'disinterested'.

Located downtown, but no noise. OK value for money. Reception staff superb.

I highly recommend Dean Hamlet Hotel in Malta, St.
    • Studio (2 Adults)

I highly recommend Dean Hamlet Hotel in Malta, St. Julian's. The hotel personel was really kind and helpfull. Room was very clean, comfy and spacious. Everything what is decribed in the offer was there (Wifi, towels, air conditioning etc.). The location is great, two steps for the "Ross" bus station, close to the clubs, bars, shops and the beach. For the next time I would choose the same hotel :)

Nice place
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Corridors are tiled so you here everyone walking as well as housekeeping trolleys. Double bed was made up of two single beds not really comfortable.

Great central location but not on the main street. Lovely Indian restaurant on ground floor, delicious food and 20% discount for hotel guests. Great water pressure.

Wouldn’t rent again
    • Studio (3 Adults)

The service, the employees are really rude, they can to clean the room and they only did the bed, not even the floor. They’re even didn’t change anything in the bathroom only the towels

The room was huge

The receptionist gave us information about reaching some...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

840/5000 There was a lot of noise in the room every night and this has ruined our stay! The room had a door to the neighboring room (the hotel should show pictures on the site with this door between the rooms !!!) and everything was heard. Except for that door, the walls were very thin and amplified the noise even more! I stayed in room 113 and after the first night I asked to change the room, but the receptionist delayed me and then lied to me saying that the people staying in the neighboring room left and no one would be accommodated in the room the following night - it was a big lie! It was the same every night. The dishes at the restaurant were chipped and dirty. Breakfast was poor. I do not recommend even for free to stay in this hotel, any person coming to Malta wants to enjoy the stay and not to find such conditions!

The receptionist gave us information about reaching some places.

We recommend the hotel highly as a cheaper hotel

See above

Breakfast items poorly presented,didn't look fresh,eg.on first morning chocolate spread was finished,second morning the same empty jar was displayed and when someone asked for more,the jar was filled on top of the dried chocolate. Only small plastic cups for coffee&tea. Luckily close by the hotel you get full breakfast cheaper. Other than breakfast, we liked/enjoyed the hotel and its clean rooms and linen and friendly staff and relaxed athmosphere.

Big improvement over the years.Price meets standard/quality.Will recommend to visiting friends&famil
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast poor for €7 when you can get with same price full english bfast,toasts,tea&coffee in surrounding area. More TV stations would be nice.

Kitchenette well equipped.Clean room and linen.Quiet.Nice seaview.

Our room was very clean, towels were changed every day.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was a little bit cold. We have ordered room with kitchen, but we even didn't had a microwave, so we ate cold food :( A women in reception was very rude then we asked for a spoon. She blamed us, that we are making soup in kettle.... After explanation, that we have our bowl and fast preparation soup, she agreed to give us spoons. We waited about half an our, but nobody brought them. So if you want to eat something in hotel, bring your own flatware and dishes.

Our room was very clean, towels were changed every day. Location was great, most (but not all!) of the personal was friendly and helpful. Great price!

cheap and acceptable, nowhere near luxury
    • Studio (2 Adults)

poor kitchen tools. nothing to wash dishes with. no carpet on the floor made us feel like sleeping in the kitchen. the walls were dirty. dirty kettle.

great location, low price

Perfect just what we needed.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Clean rooms with a view and a balcony. Excellent value for money and nice location. Room was cleaned and towels were replaced everyday and we were only there for a 3 night stay. couldn't fault our stay.

wealth the price
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Only thing I didn't like was those two single beds,dont no about the other rooms but room 319 was a nightmare with those beds,very uncomfortable to share with your partner as it keeps splitting anytime you cuddle..not going there again till they are changed tho....

Good location close to almost everything,perfect view very helpful staff,very cheap price for what you get

The location is perfect
    • Studio (2 Adults)

There was ALWAYS noise from the air condition even if it's switc off (room 202) The door locked didn't work And there was no cleaning in the room only changing the towels. But the floor was so dirty. No sweping i mean.

The location is perfect The recepcionist was awesome!!!

Great location but barely more than a hostel
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Terrible breakfast served at the on site Indian restaurant... not worth bothering with. Rooms very basic and noisy. Bed linen tatty. (several cigarette burns in sheets etc)

Reception staff were polite. Location is very good.

Nice and cosy hotel, very good location in St.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was nice to have but simple, good to think about some street food pastry. That was excellent.

Nice and cosy hotel, very good location in St. Julian’s roughly 40 min to Valletta by bus. The hotel is just 3 min walk to bus stop Ross.

Clean and very quiet hotel in a great area.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We wanted to upgrade our booking by adding breakfast for 1 day but it was not possible. The receptionist said there is nobody going for breakfast and that is the reason why we could not have it either.

Very nice and clean room with a balcony and sea view. We got the room with sea view and balcony just because the receptionist offered us when we checked in. Otherwise,we had stayed in economy room.

To avoid if you care about you!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We asked for double bed, and we get 2 beds put one beside the other. First night, I woke up between beds. We asked the reception to do something about this, and they came with a matress, 3 cm(2") tall, that they put it on top of the softess matress I ever seen. That soft, that you almost sleep on the table of the bed. Solution that we got, was to remove the soft matress and sleep on the 3 cm tall matress. Dirty sheets, with stains were provided for the last part of our stay. I would definettely not recomand anyone to stay at Dean.

Really nice room and staff
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Our only issue with this hotel was the breakfast. As we stayed in winter we may not have had the usual breakfast facilities provided. The meat was not cooked properly and some of the buffet items seemed to have been out for a few days without being changed.

Really nice hotel room, modern bathroom. Friendly staff and hotel is within easy walking distance to centre.

3 days in malta, we want to come again for summer
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the people in room next to us were noisy.... My wife couldn't sleep for 1 half-night

Hotel's Staff were very kind, sometimes funny. very good place !!! I also found free using books in english and french, and probably in others languages.

Suited our needs on this occasion
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Parking near the hotel is a nightmare. Wouldn’t stay here over a weekend again because of how busy the area is with all the bars and clubs nearby.

Value for money.

My stay was exactly as I expected, no surprises, and this hotel was a great value!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

That I had to leave as soon as I did.

The hotel manager was helpful from the vert start, and even went out of his way to assist in a telephone problem I had with my phone. I found the Dean Hamlet hotel perfect for my needs--clean, efficient, reasonably priced, and located in a great area.

I travel a lot , for me the best place ever been .The kindness of the owners made the difference

The owner The view The swimming pool

Location only
    • Studio (2 Adults)

Was dirty , room kept two days without clean , no towels for face , one one towel everyday , breakfast is too bad only 3 items

Location only

Location. Pool and bar

Nice hotel in a good location , friendly staff .
    • Studio (2 Adults)

Restaurant service , very slow , waiting for a burger for half an hour

Friendly staff , comfort , great location and safe

Good location, but nothing more....
    • Studio (2 Adults)

veeery slow wifi, bad breakfast, spat in the shower...

Good location, nice staff, but very poor breakfast. For the money it could be better.

Fair price-quality hotel located in St-Julian

Great situation

great location, clean, helpful staff
    • Studio (3 Adults)

no balcony, the pool has a 10-18 schedule - but we've been told this is common in malta

great location, clean, helpful staff

The room was lovely and the swimming pool area too.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was lovely and the swimming pool area too. The people working in the recepcion were very nice and helpful.

Great for staying on the cheap
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Pool opening times, overall facility looked a bit tired.

Basic but clean staff very helpful and friendly
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

A lot of building work going on in the area

Basic but clean staff very helpful and friendly

Excellent value for money.
    • Studio (2 Adults)

Not the responsibility of the hotel, but a lot of partynoise during the night

Excellent value for money.

Very basic

Cleanliness

Fantastic will be definitely be back
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything staff are amazing and so friendly thank u to all of them

I liked everything but the internet was poor

The internet was poor

I liked everything but the internet was poor

Close to paceville and quiet place

Close to paceville and quiet place

Has potential for much better
    • Quadruple Room

Huge room but very unstylish, wifi very week.

Location, spacy room, polite staff,

Close to everything, staff especially the receptionist very...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There s nothing i could say here

Close to everything, staff especially the receptionist very nice guy.

It was ok, not worth the money though
    • Double or Twin Room with Sea View

There was building work going on in the area so very noisy. The shower was tiny and no tea & coffee facilities in the room

The rooms were ok

Very conveniently situated for buses. Good clean accommodation.

2 extra pillows.

Clean, convenient and good value for money.

You get what you pay for.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

You get what you pay for. Nice location, good for singles/couples and for short trips.

Taking all together place was really nice, good bus service.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no balcony and double bed has been made of 2 single beds.

Close to st. Julian centre, shops and restaurants.

Ok for overnight or two

Breakfast, limit choice.

Ok for overnight or two. Staffs at the reception were helpful. Room is good. Close to the airport, 15 minutes away by drive

Fresh towels every day, nice staff and clean hotel in total.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The walls were quite thin and we had loud neighbors.

Fresh towels every day, nice staff and clean hotel in total.

We were late to check out and staff was super nice about it.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We were late to check out and staff was super nice about it. Great Location! It’s litreally what you pay

Browse Dean Hamlet Hotel traveller photo gallery