Reviews of Sliema Chalet Hotel 3 stars

117 Tower Road, SLM 1605 Sliema, Malta

#23 of 31 hotels in Sliema

5.6

smell in the room: the windows were always closed even when we left them open in the morning to avoid that it was going to smell when we are coming back. air conditioner positioned on top of you when you're waiting for the elevator, it is not a smart choice as we were freezing after all day around because it is on top of your head so imagine coming back after being on the beach

quality-price was fine, we couldn't expect the perfect place for a chip price but it worth the money. The position of the hotel is the main thing, you are close to Valletta and St Julian (you can be there in 10 min by bus or ferry). Beds were comfortable, the room was really big , staff was nice and helpful as we thought that the bath wasn't clean and when we went back to the hotel, the receptionist told us that someone has cleaned that again (then we realised that there were cracks instead :) ). we really enjoy our stay there.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The drinks machines ( coffee/ tea / hot water) & ( cold drinks ) in the breakfast area could be a little overcrowded at times. But nothing really to worry about. There were no evening meals available when we were there, though it was stated as being available in the hotel description.

The only meal available for us was breakfast, which was more than adequate, with a choice of continental and British style breakfasts

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Some staff very friendly. Others not.

Warm cozy hotel. Peaceful area. Entertainment streets across the hotel. Pubs and eating places close. Buses and Tours from across the street

• Economy Double or Twin Room

The first room we got were without any windows,it was very dark,the smell very bad and bathroom not clean. There was only one window to countryard from which we couldn’t get any fresh air. This room does not meet any safety conditions.. In addition to this, the conditioner (machine) was so old, that we were afraid it’s gonna fall on our heads. The guy from the hotel asked us to pay additional 10 euro per night if we want to have the room with view to the sea, but we were not able to change the room the same day. I really regret I did not take any pictures of the room...

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

- Air conditioning not working properly, room pretty hot in the morning. -Fornitures in the room are very old and partly broken. -Only 5-6 tv channels. -No mini bar in the room. -Terrible coffee.

-The position is excellent. I recommend to book a room with view on the sea. The view is great. - Room clean and daily refurnished with Soap and clean towels. - Confortable bed. - Receptionists are very kind and professional.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Very pour breakfast. Every day the same food. Air conditioning didn't work properly, very noisy, so was impossible to use. Was the first hotel where I've been during the summer without refrigerator, so we couldn't had a cold drink into the room.

The amazing view from our balcony.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

A working television with a quality picture and some of the staff need some customer service skills.

If you expect to be able to watch some TV you would be disappointed they have a common lounge room on the 7th floor however that was not working either and some of the staff were not very helpful. Location great and clean and comfortable .

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

breakfast could have been better,and compared to the rest of hotel the dining room was a bit drab.

great location ,seaview from balcony was amazing so well worth paying for a seaview room . staff were very helpful and very friendly ,rooms cleaned and fresh towels every day . airconditioning was not functional and buffet breakfast was basic but I would highly recommend this hotel

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Excellent location with easy walk to main Sliema ferries and good restaurants. Can really recommend the 4th floor room with sea view balcony - quiet and very comfortable. Reception staff friendly and helpful.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Stuff was super friendly and helpful with all the information you needed. Location is very good, in front of the hotel is bus stop, hotel has very nice view...

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The sun terrace unkept could have done with umbrellas and more foliage. Had to hire a fridge which should have been provided.

Location excellent. Breakfast adequent . hotel looks a bit tired. Plenty hot water. Lovely view from our balcony (sea view)

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Nice experience. The personnel was polite and helpful. The room was very clean. At the ground floor near the reception was also a vending machine for coffe, chocolate etc and a second one with beers, beverages etc. The location was excellent, near to restaurants, bars, convenience stores and a big super market. A perfect quiet place to reside without worries.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

The price of the water ;)

Fantastic staff very helpful and cheerful and a big thank you to Adriana who welcomed us when we arrived and showed us some of the nice places to go ..lovely roof terrace With a great view of fhe sea Thank you for the stay hope we'll see you again

• Economy Single Room

Single rooms are tiny, TV is super old (I do not watch it but it took a lot of space in the room). Last day wifi in my room was not working and I had to go to hall every 10 min as I needed to do some work. I asked staff to fix it but till the time of my check out it has not been solved

Quite good location, clean rooms

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We booked months ago for 4 nights for a balcony sea view room. On arrival were told the first night was not available and had to spend it in a interior room which was smelly and disgusting. They gave us 12 euro deduction. Big Deal having taken our money on check in and not on departure. I wonder why. You could hardly see the sea view as the windows were so dirty. No mattress protector on the bed and the shower water pressure etc was pathetic. Don't stay here. There are much better places for a similar price.

Breakfast 5/10 but the breakfast room is very poor.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The receptionist at the night shift was impolite and rood. The presantion of the hotel on your website does not represent the reality.

The view and the location

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Slow internet connection sometimes and limited television channels.

Staffs friendly and ready to help,clean environment,enjoyed breakfast,comfortable bed with sea view and relaxing environment.

• Economy Single Room

Great location, clean and nice staff, but I got a really small claustrophobic room with window opening to a wall and no natural light. As a single traveler I wouldn’t recommend this place. You could get better hotels with better value in this price range.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

When arrived in the room there was a strong smell of mold/mildew, although we started the ventilation and opened the windows it didn t help much.the tv was not working - a smal old tv- it had no signal and there was no fridge in the room. Even if we told all this just then at the reception and asked to change room or disinfect somehow and repair the tv after 4 days the sistuation was identical.even if we spoke to 4 different receptionists who wrote down our complaints and promised to do something and talk to the manager- nothing.every time we asked to speak to the manager he was not there.zero assistance, just words, nobody did anything.and above all when asked about a bus route to the airport they said there are no buses so early(6am) even if there are actually.also the room had a "view"to 3 big walls of back buildings

Location, next to sea road

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The room was not very luxurious or cosy so not somewhere you would want to spend a lot of time but clean and the perfect spot as a base to see Malta,

The view from the balcony was stunning. The location is excellent, right on the seafront and really handy for buses to Valetta and heading north too.

Safe in room had no lock so unable to use. No balcony looked out onto brick wall Bath very rusty looking Roof top terrace, nothing like pictures on website. 3rd bed in room felt unstable very rickety Concerned about a comment seen from the same week we were staying in relation to bed bugs.

Spacious room 3 beds Breakfast very nice Great location Clean towels daily

• Economy Single Room

Maybe some information about places to go and things to do? We just happened to find out about the hop-on hop-off bus across from our hotel and the possibility of making a cruise. We also happened to find a place to swim...

My room, 775, was fine! My friend’s room, 615, was very very small, though she didn’t complain. But the rooms were kept clean and the people were friendly ,. Though the view from our rooms was non-existent, it helped to have access to the roof, where one could sit, lie down and enjoy a fantastic view! What we also really enjoyed was the use of the lounge, where we could sit, meetin and relax

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

First and foremost: bed bugs! We found some red spots on the sheet after the second night, but didn't realise immediately it was the residue of bed bugs biting. It's only the morning we left that we saw one of these little pests and figured it out. Of course it was the time to quickly leave for the airport so all we could do was just organise to clean/steam everything back home, but a week later we found ourselves covered with the reaction to the old bitings (no eggs brought to our home, thankfully) and still have itchy buttons around hands, legs and feet. Disgraceful. The cleanliness was problematic anyway, with hair left around and the cleaner removing all towels every day so we always had to go back downstairs to ask the reception to give them back. But seriously: bed bugs. Just stay away from this place or you'll bring them back to your home. Breakfast was less than average, with little vegetarian options. Sea-facing room was indeed sea-facing, but that also meant being road-facing and bust stop-facing, and being at a low floor this caused noise problems. Noise that was all over the inside as well, with thin walls and disrespectful drunk guests that were not policed by staff (you would imagine someone chanting for an hour at 4am at the first floor would trigger a reaction from the night manager). But then again, regardless of the other issues... Bed bugs!

For our first time in Malta we followed the advices we found online and decided to stay in Sliema rather than Valletta. At the time of booking, there were few options left so we ended up here... On paper it looked ok, and we opted for a sea-facing room which would have given us a nice and romantic wake up in front of the sunrise. And it looked conveniently placed a short walk from the Sliema-Valletta ferry. Staff-wise, the young Spanish receptionist and the Asian waiter were supernice. Everybody else had lost the will to smile or be kind long long ago. Valletta was very lively at night too, despite what others told us.

• Economy Single Room

Everything was perfect!!! Excellent hotel, delicious breakfasts, kind and attentive personal, Wifi worked very well! The most beautiful view in Sliema.

Nothing negative to report

I saw many negative comments on TripAdvisor about this property. I can only say that they are unfounded !! Great Hotel and friendly staff ~ Next time I come back to Malta this Hotel is where I will be staying :)

• Economy Single Room

Serious issue with bedding. Only one none fitted/I’ll fitting undersheet that came adrift in the night causing the sheet to bunch up and become uncomfortable to lie on AND causing me to lie on a bare mattress which is very unhygienic ( I’m sure the mattresses are not cleaned very often). I woke up both nights during an otherwise good sleep , Because of the discomfort and was trying to tuck the bloody thing in whilst half asleep. Not good at all!

Location, cost, Breakfast

There is not so much to complain about. Maybe more fruits for breakfast.

The location is excellent with bus stops in front of hotel (lines goes to Valleta direrctly) and close is ferry stop (also for Valleta) with all other daily boat excursions. View is perfect, couldnt't imagine better view in the morning. At bus stop in front of hotel you can go to St Julians for nightlife. Perfect best value. Our triple room was very comfy with good beds!

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Nothing really bothered me but more demanding visitors could appreciate more than only one lift, a real double bed instead of two single put together and more diversification for breakfast (the choice was practically the same every day)

Perfect location, our room on 6th floor had a balcony and a beautiful view on the see, hairdryer in the room, a kettle with instant coffee and tea restocked every day the same with the set of cosmetics, clean, decent choice of breakfast

• Economy Single Room

I really enjoyed my stay here , everyone was extremley kind and helpfull, I will highly recomend this place to my friends and i'm defiently thinking about comming back

• Economy Double or Twin Room

This was only a one night stay which it was fine for. We had a room which had no view but this was reflected in the price we had paid. Great central location with bus stop right outside the door. Direct bus to Luqa Airport every hour. Reception staff very helpful and friendly.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Noise from a street near the hotel. However, it was not a very burdensome.

The hotel is in a good place. The bus stop is just in front of the hotel. Beautiful views. Food stores are also located nearby.

• Economy Single Room

The only complaint that I have is that after a few short minutes in the shower, my water would go from hot to freezing cold. I am not one to stay in the shower for a long time but I did not have enough time to properly shower and have warm water for the entirety of the shower.

I stayed in the single room that did not have the ocean view which I was aware of before so I was not disappointed with what I had. I was not looking for anything lavish especially with travelling on a student budget. The bed was super comfortable and I had plenty of room for myself. The location was superb with about a ten minute walk to the pier to access all the boats in which I really recommend taking a tour to Comino and Gozo!

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

This is a basic hotel, which is fine for people who don't want to spend a lot of money for accommodation. But the water in the shower was yellow. This was the only real problem for me.

The view from the hotel was amazing and the location is great. It's very easy to get to Valletta by ferry and there are a lot of stores around the hotel. It's also nice to go for a walk along the seafront.

• Economy Single Room

Need to add more satellite channels on TV.

Nice location with bus stops near and 10 min walking to ferries Sliema -Valletta. There are many good restaurants near to have lunch or dinner. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast exceeded my expectations. They have a terrace on top with nice views.

Everything was nice, can't find something disturbing. Ok the rooms are not that decorated and in perfect condition but that's totally acceptable for the price rates.

Very clean rooms, hot water always, changing towels every day. We had great view from our balcony and some Good breakfast. The access to Transportation is very easy - bus stop in front of the hotel.

• Economy Single Room

All the sounds from the corridor are heard 100% in the room, the door appears to have no insulation. Want to sleep for longer after a tiring day? You can forget about it beyond 9 AM when the maids begin to haul their trolleys and talk in the corridor.

Good location with bus stops right outside and nice promenade along the sea shore. Excellent value for money when you book early. Tidy little single room, did not feel cramped, shower was combined with bathtub which is so rarely seen when you are on a budget. There were both a ceiling fan and an air conditioner! Cannot rate breakfast as I opted out of it.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

All rooms facing the sea are very noisy, as the main street passes in front of the hotel. So, if you are a light sleeper (as I am:D) you should reserve a different type of room.

The hotel is very close to the bus station, so if you come from the airport (take TD2 or X2 bus) you will have 50m maximum to the hotel. The station is called Sliema Chalet. The hotel has a spectacular view to the sea (if you book rooms with sea view) and it's very clean.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Some of the receptionists were not too friendly.

The view from the room was amazing. The balcony was really big. The room was spacious and full of light. The location was great. Overall, this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

coffee, juice dispenser wasnt working, old fashioned design

great location, friendly staff, amazing sea view from balcony, breakfast, in general good value for money

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

No water preasure (we stayed 5th floor from 7), no small towels, creaky beds.

Position very good exactly in a bus station, 8-10 min. walk from Sliema ferry, clean rooms, nice sea view (not all rooms).

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

very busy street.... noise from the cars...balcony door very hard to open closed, and i don't like the blanket, it's decorative blanket, it's not blanket for sleeping!

location- best location,close to bus, ferry, close to everything the view is wow, great staff, helpful.. inside rooms-basic, good breakfast .... great hotel for the value of the money

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Ventilations in the room was noisy for first two night. I tried switch off it but it was impossible. I forgotten ask personel about. We have had to use earplugs. Last three night was silent probably because somebody switch off the central ventilators.

Personel was very nice and helpfully. Any my request, they accomplished with smile and do more than they should, thanks! Room was cleaned perfectly everyday. Brekfasts was enought good. Bed was perfectly for my spine.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

A little bit better air conditioning would improve the room standard. We went there in March with up to 20C deg outside, but if there would be 35-40 deg it could be too stuffy.

We asked for room with view on the sea and we got it! Even though there's main street just outside hotel, it is located in comfort and quiet area. Really appreciated stay in Sliema Chalet :)

• Economy Double or Twin Room

No face clothes I've booked a double bed and instead 2 single beds were provided. The bed was next to the exit door. No window in the room and an old 14inch tv

Great location, right across a beautiful promenade overlooking the pretty beach. Bus stop into Valetta is across the hotel. Excellent breakfast, but if you miss breakfast times, Mason's bistro across the street has late breakfast (omelets are delicious, good tea and coffee). Our triple room was spacious, but instead of three single beds, one was a very uncomfortable fold out sofa. Bathroom was also spacious, with nice, soft towels and very clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful, always ready to offer information needed. Also recommend the Malta sightseeing hop on hop off busses. They stop right across from the hotel, and they have someone there selling the tickets. If you want to visit Gozo, the same company offers to pick you up from the hotel, provide transport to the ferry and then the Gozo sightseeing bus service across the island. Using this company saved us a lot of hassle getting to figure out local bus schedules. They normally run every 30 minutes. For dinner, try Sofa kebab, about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. They have the best kofte meatballs, large portions and very reasonably priced.

• Economy Single Room

The hot water came out a strange greeny brown colour. After informing staff I was told that this was sediment and the filter needed adjusting. Later that day I was told this had been fixed and the water was now clear but it was not and was a problem throughout my stay. Also I was unable to have the windows open at night because when I did I was bitten by mosquitoes. Staff generally could have been a bit more helpful when asked to provide local information

The location was good

• Economy Double or Twin Room

It was a good location, staff was efficient and helpful. A very average hotel but since you don't spend much time inside it's alright. The bus stop just outside the hotel has most of the buses that one could possibly need.

• Economy Single Room

The only thing needs improvement is about the facility. The air condition is not functioning well with lots of noises when it is turned on (the noise stops people falling asleep. The only solution for me is not using it for 2-day stay). One last the thing, the blanket is tolerantly clean but might not be good enough for some guests.

I am very impressive with the staff who is nice, kindhearted and willing to give all the helps needed.

• Economy Single Room

Great location, bus stop with buses going all direction is just outside the hotel. Room was very spacious and clean, great selection for breakfast, tables with seaview! Great staff at reception and the restaurant. I had an amazing time, the hotel was great value for money.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The bathroom was leaking. The blanket was dirty.

Great location. Our room was heading to the sea and the view was awesome. The breakfast was very nice. A bus stop was just in front. Friendly staff.

• Economy Single Room

There is nothing I didn't like.

Clean room, great location, fast wifi, nice, helpful and welcoming hosts, good value for money and plenty of hot water. I would recommend anyone to Chalet you won't be disappointed.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

NEUTRAL +/- we were not able to turn on air-condition (but we could ask staff:) )

PLUSES + very good localization: view on the sea, near bus-stop + polite personnel + quite quiet room + good WiFi + good breakfast

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The internet it s just downstairs, in the lobby , not inside the rooms as should be normal! You should pay if u want to have internet inside your room! Also the tv! It s extra -cost! I never met this situation before , to pay for internet! It s one of the most important facility for the tourists! The room was clean but the sheets smelled bad!

The best thing at this hotel it s just the location!

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Very litle, as 2/3 star hotel it is better than some 4 stars wd have been before....

The croissants were delecious.?The bed was very confortable anc room very clean!Great sea view! The staff was very friendly, helpefull and couldn't enough for you and we will return in the future.

• Economy Single Room

Rooms are a bit worn out, need some refurbishing and refreshment

Excellent location on the promenade, all the buses stop in front. Clean rooms, good bed. Economy rooms very quiet. Basic but good breakfast with a nice view, very pleasant staff Overall good value

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The bar facilities would have been welcomed, as places closed early, possibly due to the time of the year.

The local bread was awesome, and breakfast (cooked items) were varied daily.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

old style room, old style TV and not so good light in room

It was better than be planned, because main reason was view , location, and cheap price. We got beautifull view, amazing location and good breakfast. Small room and old stile, but if you travel and for some nights for couple or some friends who want to see island, this is nice place. If you want to stay at room or with kids or you plan beach vocation, its not good.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Short walk to cheap water taxis which go straight to Valletta excellent local restaurants. Buses very close which go all over the island. Helpful friendly staff, very good value for money.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

The rooms need upgrading.On the website,there is a logo saying shuttle,but after I booked,I was told that I have to pay extra.On the photos,it shows flat screen TV's in the rooms,but I had the old bulky one and there are hardly any stations you Can watch.

I liked the location.I also liked that you get WiFi automatically.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Only two electricity sockets in the room.

The hotel has an excellent location in Sliema. It is next to the bus station Sliema Chalet. Great start position to explore Malta.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Nothing really hotel accomodations good value but no commentery water ,coffee or water in room

Anything we asked for our room the staff efficient cooperated and service was great thoughout our stay! Good central location with lots of personnel needs readily available!

• Economy Double or Twin Room

No window on room, dirt in bathroom, over-used furniture, smell of smoke. Staff is the compulsory-nice type when face-to-face, but unable to ornagise anything, especially when info comes in e-mail, and they not know the word "sorry", once a mistake is made.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We loved everything honestly, if we had to judge something it would be the wifi signal.

The room was huge, the view was amazing, the location was great. Bed was extra comfortable. I could go on and on for ages but basically we will be back soon!

• Economy Single Room

I got a room with tiny window facing some wall. This fact made my room very dark all the time, I couldn't tell if it's night or day. The walls are very thin and often you can hear people talking in other rooms, some people might find it disturbing. Cleaning ladies were always coming between 8 and 9am to clean my room. I find it very strange as usually in other hotels service don't come so early. Often they would not knock at the door, just get in and leave after seeing me still in bed.

Hotel is in great location. It's on the promenade by the sea. Walking distance from everything you might need. Restaurants, bars, ferry to Valletta. There are few stores in the area as well as big shopping mall. There's bus stop right outside. It has direct route to/from Airport and traveling around the island is extremely easy from this place. Hotel has amazing rooftop terrace with great view. There were few type of power sockets in my room, didn't need any converter. If you just need a place to sleep and plan to travel around for the whole day it's a perfect place.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Definitely a good value for money,with the most beautiful view of the sea. Staff was great,and very nice. Breakfast was delicious 💁 Not a single bad experience. I would definitely chose it again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing not to like only the one bad days rain and not much the management can do about that.

Best location Best value for money Professionally run So so clean We stayed in 113 got a sea view Breakfast excellent I have stayed all over the world in 3,4 and 5 star paying up to £200 a night. This little gem 128 Euro for 4 nights. I paid 1000 Euro for 4 nights in Amsterdam at a Top hotel chain This hotel was 10 times better. Keep up the good work we will be back soon and will definitely book again. Thank you for your hospitality.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Bath tub was a bit old, obviously repaired several times... Should be replaced! Light in the rooms are too dark. There is no main light, just one lamp similar to the ones beside the bed. Were not able to control the air condition, it was way too cold for January.

Staff was very friendly, room service cleanes up well. Didn't have breakfast, but it looked good! Simply prefer Maltese pistazzierias with a fantastic full breakfast for 4€ instead of the 10€ here... Had no adapter with me, but the women on the reception quickly organized one for me, without any additional costs. Hotel looks a bit more clean than the St. Julians Bay Hotel, which is held by the same company. The sun deck on top of the hotel gives a perfect view and a perfect spot for the last cigarette of the day.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Noise from the street and the waves as it was very strong winds. AC was making noise in the the night so I had to turn it off but it wasn't cold

I got sea view room, which was quite comfortable for me and everything was ok

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Sadly it was fully booked the next day, otherwise we would have extended our stay.

Clean and comfy huge bed. Value for money buffet breakfast. Right opposite the sea.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

I order room with view to the sea, but first day I didn't get it, It was really sad because the other room was dark (there was window but the view was to other building) . I think water in bath was with chlorine smell and it was brown.Breakfast was the same every morning, sometime cold.

The place of hotel is really good. the view from windows is to the sea if you order it.

Rooms basic and could use a bit if modernisation. But OK considering the low price!

Good value for money. Housekeeping staff were very helpful. good location

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Shower pressure was too low and WiFi was slow.

Freshfruit in the breakfast was nice, but the coffee was very bad quality. The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable.WiFi was time to time too slow to work with. The location was great, close to shopping area and restaurants.

• Economy Double or Twin Room

Wi-fi needs to be paid for. We were well aware beforehand.

Good location to the bus stops, practically at doorstep. Also easy walking to eating places at waterfront (where the ferries are).

• Economy Double or Twin Room

the hotel is a 3 star so the bath is a bit small and you have ask for a fridge and a kettle which i had to pay extra for them.

the stay was a good value of money and close to the beach and pools (med asia playa) , (preluna ) and plenty of restaurants down the strand and in front of the hotel there is more than 3 kiosks , good for a quick bite. the banks are near by and also a food store and souvenir shops and ferries takes across to valletta.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The first receptionist we met when we arrived, was impersonal, cold and uninviting. Was not customer friendly. The others made up for this unwelcome 1st impression of the hotel

All ok- CNN froze on the 1st day- only one accessible TV channel. Everything else was fine with us. Breakfast was good.

Browse Sliema Chalet Hotel traveller photo gallery