Reviews of Barceló Maya Colonial - All Inclusive 4 stars

Carretera Chetumal Km 266, 77750 Xpu Ha, Mexico

#4 of 10 hotels in Xpu Ha

5.7

The beds were extremely uncomfortable!
    • Superior Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The beds were extremely uncomfortable!! Made dinner reservations and was not informed by anyone that there was a dress code!!! Talked with the general manager about the resturant experience and he did not seem to care . Will definitely stay somewhere else next time.

Our stay was AMAZING! Lots of food options and things to do. We are definitely going back!
    • Superior Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Our shower drain was not flowing well and we reported this to the front desk (to Leon), cleaning staff and anyone who would listen, several times and no one ever took action during our stay. That wasn’t cool. It also took them a very long time to get to the rooms to change towels, etc.- I am assuming they are not staffed very well in this particular area since the property is very expansive( but we were able to pass by and just exchange towels so that was ok). We never visted the beach area during our stay bc of the seaweed and rockiness in some areas. Mother Nature recently dumped a lot of seaweed there (we were told) and it so We decided to stay with the pools. Lastly, I missed out on the swim with dolphin activity due to misinformation from the staff there. We asked if anyone would be taking pics and the said no! Turns out staff there do take pics and at the end make them available for purchase. Bc of this I cancelled mine to allow my kids to do it and take their pics.

Property was very well maintained and the facilities for the children were amazing! We also loved the variety of restaurants and the structure to reserve to give everyone a chance. The facility has many pools for everyone in the family to enjoy and the fact that there was a mall, lots of activities and also vendors on site meant we never had to step foot off the property! Lastly, there was a swim with dolphins activity onsite which was very convenient!

Huge resort, nice beach, good gym, wish there was more choice for vegetarians.
    • Superior Room

If you are a vegetarian don’t expect a lot of choice, or variety, the food menu is the same most days and limited for vegetarians.

Staff very helpful, good choice of activities, (thank you Carla, front desk colonial)

We like the beachfront of the hotel.
    • Superior Room

We do not like only that some waitresses were looking for the tips. If you do not give some dollars, they do not give the service when you request and they ignore us.

We like the beachfront of the hotel. It was amazing. The pool area was perfect and clean. The staff was kind and helpful, they are attentive if we want directions or information about attractions around. The dolphins are so cute. The room was comfortable and quiet. If you are looking for something, you can find everything in the mall and store on the resort. It is close to Tulum 20 minutes by car. If you ask information to the taxi drivers, they give you good advice for visiting the important area such as Tulum, Playa el Carmen and Chichen Itzá. We would like to go back in the future. The price is convenient if you want to take a vacación out of the city.

Enjoyed my stay.
    • Superior Room

The alcohol selection quality wasn't worth it and the food from the buffet wasn't kept warm. The food was edible but nothing to rave over. Cheap liquor choices at the bars and only Jose' Cuervo Tequila option. Reserved a double bed room for me and my co-worker and was housed in a king bed room with couch but no additional bedding. The $1000 resort credit was useless and didn't go towards anything like its false advertisement. Wifi was $30-$40 during my stay. Really noisy early in the morning due to guest with kids. Lots of seaweed at the beach.

Our room was upgraded to the Palace and the grounds were well maintained. Beautiful views and friendly staff. The restaurants had the better food selection.

Everything was great but maybe the food could be a little...
    • Superior Room

We got changed to another barcelo hotel after our reservation was for the colonial and the put us in the caribe

Everything was great but maybe the food could be a little better

The hotel has a beautiful location and ocean view, however,the whole beach has a huge stones in the
    • Superior Room

The whole beach has a huge stones in the water, it’s impossible to swim there. The food was resiculous as well as the service. Also the mattresses in the room +sleeping sheets are extremely low quality. I didn’t sleep any night at all. For the same value of money I had much better stay at Bavaro hotel in DOminican Republic.

I liked the ocean view , facility and territory of the hotel.

I would return.
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level

Our intake processing, upon arrival at the resort, took almost 45-minutes and the staff person who handled us spoke very little English, didn't seem fully trained in all the procedures. Very frustrating to have traveled so far and then to spend so much time sitting at the premium desk before we were given our room key!

proximity to the beach

Nice facilities.
    • Superior Room (3 adults + 1 child)

I difn't like the fact that the all inclusive only includes the basic; better drinks had to be paid, nautical sports has to be paid; children activities had to be paid; even the suitcase iscake the lobby has to be paid. Even though one of my children paid has an adult - full rate - she couldn't do stand up paddle or use the gym because she was under 18. We stayed for 9 days and the food in the buffet was very repetitive; specially food served for lunch was always the same, no barbecue, for instance.

Nice facilities. Staff dedicated and very costumer oriented.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

We love the resort and will go back
    • Superior Room (3 adults + 1 child)

There are only two electrical plugs in the room to use for charging our gadgets. We Pay Wi-Fi, pay for sport activities, and the gift shop didn't take cash or credit only charge to the room. the beach has seaweeds and lots of rocks.

I like the restaurants choices, the pools is very nice, the staff mostly friendly, lots of choices to choose for activities. And yes we can drink all the beer and wine.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Good value for money
    • Superior Room

Rooms smelled stale and damp, quality of a lá carte restaurant's food was very poor, at the buffets was ok but got repetitive after 3 nights. Shortly after we arrived my girlfriend was bitten by a bedbug. She caught it and killed it and we took it to the reception asking only to be changed to another room. This was eventually done by the reception staff but reluctantly, after initially downplaying the issue we ended up being moved to a room with a heavy smell of cigarette smoke.

Great beaches, clean resort grounds, amazing gym facilities, breakfast was great.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great time Overall
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level (3 Adults + 1 Child)

The check in process at the preferred lounge is confusing if it's your first time because you just wait if there's anyone else checking in at the same time. They can only accommodate 1 family at a time and it can take up to 45 mins and they don't tell you anything , like please wait or , we'll be right with you ( definitely frustrating ). Be very careful when choosing an excursion especially somewhere far like Chichen itza . They are pretty pricey and the one we went on was recommended by the hotel and it was pretty lousy especially if you don't speak Spanish. Crazy price gouging at the gift shops ! 35 dollar sunblock 200 dollar snorkels sets . Make sure you don't plan on buying any thing there bring it with you . There was a senior class trip in the last weekend we were there , and it was obvious that they were there to get drunk and party the whole time . The staff kept an eye on them but tons of underage drinking and they completely took over one of the pools and Bars. I'm kind of surprised the resort allows this to go on in a family oriented resort but I guess money talks ! This may seem silly, but they need to buy a decent Pizza oven and learn how to make a pizza . I feel like my kids would be completely satisfied with the food if they could just master this . I live in New England and there's a pizza place on every street corner with Pizza literally 10 times better even at the worst places ! Overall I would recommend this place it just needs a little fine tuning in my opinion to be excellent!

The hotel location and amenities are awesome, the beach is absolutely fantastic. Service was good and the drinks were great . We were very happy with the pools and swim up bars considering the hotel was at capacity the week we were there and there was still plenty of room and spots at the bar. We did the oceanfront room and the room size and location were great . I would give the food an eight, good at times , mainly at the restaurants, not so good at the buffets , but overall pretty good . Make sure you bring lots of sunblock, and bring the cream stuff not the aerosols , seriously bring like 5 bottles , if you run out you'll be forced to pay 35 dollars us or more at the gift shops.

We have got voucher for 4 dinner, but it was very...
    • Superior Room

We have got voucher for 4 dinner, but it was very complicated to use the ticket. We have had to go to the guest office, but it was not possible to get a place in a restaurant.

A place to go back
    • Superior Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I booked to Barcelo Maya Colonial but got a room in Barcelo Maya Tropical. The room was smelly so we had to change the room the day after. Spent half day of my vacation for this.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

The place is great!
    • Superior Room

The place is great! The people very nice, the reception lacks a littke bit of information. I was interested in the church activities for the holly friday and no one knew about the schedule or even there was going to be anything....😩

The staff was amazing, and the resorts and beaches were...
    • Superior Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The check in process took nearly 25 minutes.

The staff was amazing, and the resorts and beaches were stunning and clean. We upgraded our room, as the first room was just too small for 3 of us. We were given a discount to upgrade as well.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

I would give Barcelo a 5 star rating. The food was good, pools were clean, room was clean.
    • Superior Room

I am use to sleeping on a king memory foam mattress. The bed was an old king spring mattress, it took a few days to get use to.

The cleanliness of the whole place ( Room, the grounds, Pool... immaculate!!) The staff were polite and helpful as they could be. Plenty of beach/pool lounge chairs for everyone at anytime. Even know it was spring break the place is large enough to get away from everyone, if you like. If you sat around one of the pools, you had a lovey senorita taking your drink order, but not on the beach. Restaurant's and buffet were also great, no lines at the buffet and the restaurants service and food were good, you even ate with 18/10 silverware. I will be going back, and recommend this resort to anyone not looking for a high-rise hotel resort, where 500 rooms have ocean view, this style resort has very few rooms that feature ocean view. Just an FYI... Went down to Akumal beach for snorkeling and they have shut down the snorkeling, due to too many people bothering the sea turtles.

No wonder most of the people we met at the Barcelo were repeat guests!
    • Superior Room

We didn't like the smell of the room. It had a mildew odor. We complained about it, but we were told it was something they couldn't control.

The buffets had every item you could possibly want. The food was always good and we especially liked the a la carte restaurants. The beach was beautiful and the surroundings lovely.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

No one wants to be hungry on vacation...
    • Superior Room

The buffet food was disgusting. We were only allotted 2 dinners a night at one of the restaurants and those were decently okay. But they buffet food was beyond gross. They also kept running out of distilled water bottles which was problematic because... Mexico. The beaches were also very very rocky.

Overall it was a great property. The beaches were great, the pools incredibly clean and lovely, and very scenic property. There were plenty of beach chairs, towels, staff, ect. per guest which is always a concern at all-inclusive hotels. Room was very clean and the staff was very friendly!

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Great place
    • Superior Room

The beach itself is beautiful but the coral at the edge of the water can be tricky when you walk into the water.

It was a great hotel with a lot of options. The kids had a blast. The food was pretty good.

Had a great time.
    • Superior Room

You had to pay extra for menu food.

The beach, entertainment, and landscape.

The front desk service was outstanding.
    • Superior Room

The front desk service was outstanding.

Location, family friendly and beaches,
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Poor quality food

Location, family friendly and beaches,

I would do it all over again
    • Superior Room

The slowness of cleaning the room

Perfect Honeymoon
    • Superior Room

Nothing really, the resort is a bit further away from Cancun then we would have preferred.

Really everything was well taken care of and organized.

• Superior Room

Check in process very slow . We re booking at Barcelo colonial but they put us in Barcelo tropical . :

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

All in all an excellent stay.
    • Superior Room

Couldn't get the humidity out of our room.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Amazing
    • Superior Room

How cold the pool water was

• Reviewed: 28 October 2015

I booked Barcelo Maya Colonial since May 2015 and a good 2...

The Room was incredibly spacious and comfortable except for the large amount of humidity in the air and furniture and for the humid odor on the sheets and pillows. I do need to say that the food quality wasn't all that good. I particularly didn't like that to eat at one of the restaurants you had to make a reservation before 3 pm for that evenings dining. I was able to book only once after 3 and it was for their Italian restaurant and I found that the Sea Bass that I ordered was very dry. I would recommend that if you decide to stay here to eat in the main Buffet Restaurant as I found it of higher and better quality than of the restaurants that you need a reservation. The other item that I found unacceptable was the high price for the WiFi. The first WiFi device connection was free but any other was at $25.00 a day per device.

I booked Barcelo Maya Colonial since May 2015 and a good 2 weeks before arriving on Oct 2, 2015 as I was booking my transportation with the Hotel they informed me by accident that Barcelo Maya Colonial was under renovation and that I was re-booked next door at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort and when I arrived I was then again changed to the Barcelo Maya Caribe. All the staff members are very accommodating and courteous. I was offered to upgrade to their Premium Suits with Jacuzzi and Private Pool. The property in gorgeous and the swimming pools large and inviting. The beach was also very nicely kept clean. The hotel amenities were very good too. The Dolphin Pool and the Beach amenities were also exceptional.

There are also 23 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Barceló Maya Colonial - All Inclusive traveller photo gallery