Reviews of Barceló Maya Palace 5 stars

Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266, 77750 Xpu Ha, Mexico

#5 of 11 hotels in Xpu Ha

Food, pool, beach, activities are great.
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level (4 Adults)

The check in process in the “premium club” was torturously slow and scattered. I waited over an hour to check in (maybe 2). The woman who finally helped me never gave me keys, so I had to go back. She also told me that I didn’t need towel cards, but then the towel person wouldn’t give me towels without them so I had to go back again. At that time, she could only find three cards even though we were four ppl, so I had to go back another time to get another towel card. It was an extremely frustrating experience to have after a day of traveling and when you just want to start your vacation... premium club gets you free WiFi and reservations at any of the a la carte restaurants for any nights you want, but we never wound up using the WiFi and we only ate at the a la carte 3x during our stay which we could have gotten without the premium club. I also called months in advance to request a specific building but they could not accommodate that request at check in. Overall, very unimpressed with the premium club.

Food, pool, beach, activities are great. Rooms are clean and comfortable - had a junior ocean view suite... we were only there to shower and sleep, which was perfect. A la carte restaurants are fun to mix things up. Overall a great vacation.

Our family vacation was excellent!

We traveled with our adult children (in their mid 20'2) and stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace, with an upgrade to Premium Level which we found worth the price. The Premium Lounge/Reception area is outstanding - from opening to close (hours 7 am to 10 pm, I think), there were attentive customer service wait staff and booking staff ready to assist us. There is a small but incredibly well stocked food area and beverage area, with a small dining area if you choose to dine there. The Palace Resort Activities Staff were excellent. They organized beach volleyball, water aerobics and bingo and we had a blast! They were enthusiastic and really cared about wanting everyone to have fun.

Was great food, and grounds. Horrible customer service and overcharged by a wrong conversion rate.
    • Junior Suite (4 Adults)

The front desk over-charged our group by almost 1000 US dollars. They made a mistake on the conversion rate. We saw it in our bank accounts immediately and worked with staff to show them the error. After being brushed off by the staff at the front desk for the entire weekend, we spent over 2 hours Monday (our last and only sunny day there) arguing with a manager who finally met with us. Now, after a refund was promised, a month later no one as seen the money. We are just now getting an email that all the members of our group need to send emails requesting the refund. Would have been a better stay if this didn't occur. Very sketchy and very poor customer service.

The grounds were beautiful. We felt like the service at the bar was great and the food was really good the entire time.

Beautiful resort beach extremely rocky would go another resort if came back

The staff overall was not able to communicate with us due to language barrier. Many times I had staff tell me no but I would later see exactly what I had asked. Everything in the resort was labeled in pesos and the staff were unable to tell you in dollars what they would be charging you. They did not take cash so everything had to be charged. Our room was cleaned only twice from Monday to Friday before we left. We had to track down staff for towels. This was all due to their unusually late cleaning schedule. They were trying to clean at 3-4 pm when we had been out since 7 am. We would need to get to dinner reservations or to join our wedding party for an event and come in to our room to dirty towels. Twice as we were getting in the shower to get ready the staff would try to come in. I feel this was very unconducive. I had signed up for Barcelo rewards before I left because of free early online check in and wifi. My precheck in went through but when I went to get the wifi code from the consierge she told me I was not a rewards member because I did not book through Barcelo. I showed her the email and told her of the precheck in and was told repeatedly you did not book through us so you can't receive rewards. I was then charged 10 dollars a day for internet. I feel given I was a rewards member and the overall expense of the resort internet should have been free. Dinner reservations could only be made through her when you arrived and most all restaurants were unavailable except for 10:30 dinner times. Rediculous! She was rude and unhelpful and her partner in her office sat on her phone with three other groups trying to get completely checked in and reservations made for dinner unwilling to help.

The property was beautiful and had a lot of facilities and activities that were easily accessible. They had on site travel agents for excursions so it made it very easy to schedule activities outside the resort.

Great family vacation in paradise.
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The daily activities where not clearly communicated/organized.

We stayed at an ocean view room and it had a beautiful view. For an ocean room you pay more but it also comes with premium level services that help us enjoy our stay at Barcelo even more. The room was very well designed to accommodate families.

Excellent family resort with great service and friendly staff

The resort is excellent for families and those wanting continuous activities all day long. The beach is incredible! There is also an adult pool which was superb too. The general pool is huge and has a variety of things to do. The service was impeccable and the food was great!

Won't be going back.

Too much to describe here. Poor service at most places, poor management of a health situation where my sister in laws grandma fell, really crowded, poor front desk service, etc.

Not a whole lot. French restaurant was pretty good our our server, Rayi was awesome.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Terrible Internet service/slow Bell service

The food is not great, service very slow. The front desk line to really long, and the Wi-Fi is difficult, you literally have to walk to the front desk to get a little tiny piece of paper with a Wi-Fi code. It barely works, Wi-Fi was a nightmare, because I expected to email and handle business.

Swimming pools were nice, the property is well-kept.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Nice spot but not perfect
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 3 Children)

Some other guests. Drinking all day long and no effort to use any Spanish when interacting with staff. The beds were the worst we experienced in our two week trip around the Yucatan and Riviera. The mattress was hard and plastic coated. The linens were rough quality. The comforter was the wrong weight for a humid climate and did not breathe, so we did not rest well. We went to the Caribe and the Brasserie for a la carte dining. Pleasant service but food preparation is basically chain restaurant quality. Our three children want to note that the lack of free wifi is unimpressive.

The overall location and friendly staff. The large pool had a lot of variety and was fun for all. The beach at the other end of the resort was long for strolling.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Great value, impeccably maintained, wonderful family vacation destination.
    • Junior Suite Ocean Front Premium Level (2 Adults + 3 Children)

Buffet was sometimes a little slow in the morning, the only people who were less than super-friendly were people who worked in premium lounge (which makes no sense to me).

Staff were all very friendly & helpful. Kids loved the Barcy water park & playing at the beach. Good at restaurants were all very good.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Excellent stay, every detail is though through !

house wine (the one which is included)

Very good food, lots of it , different varieties, even a lobster (if you pre-book seafood restaurant for the evening),excellent staff, smiling, always happy, every detail is thought through(even a phone charger at your palm tree on the beach :-), evening shows are of good quality, rooms are excellent

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

See you next year
    • Junior Suite (3 Adults)

1: we all hated the bedding sheets felt very rubbery 2: some confusion when we were told we were at the Maya Beach not the Maya Palace. 3: tried to get info on mybarcelo no one knew how to help. I've been signed up for 2years

Loved the palace. Planning on coming back with more people next January

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Barcello Palace is a great resort (just missing biking)

1. I was missing biking (ready to pay extra for renting a bike) . 2. It took 2 days for a swimming suit to get dry because of a very humid climate. Please add a dryer to each floor.

We stayed at Barcello Palace in December. Service ,location,food and room were great! Cinotos just a short walk away.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Great location, but really bad food

Low quality of food, including the a la carte french restaurant. I am very surprised that the food was so tasteless. Everything from the morning omeletts to the evening rib eye steak was very bland. Juices were diluted with water, "butter" tasted like cheap margarine substitute, the ice cream and the rest of the deserts were simply awful. I just can't understand how people give such high reviews for such a bad food.

Good location, lots of entertainment. Good beaches, swimming with turtles.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

high quality accommodation

very slow check in process, long way from room to facilities, my room was located next to bus stop so quite noisy

high quality facilities, overall friendly staff, very good food

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Your beach was beautiful!
    • Junior Suite (4 Adults)

very difficult to get dinner reservations since you can not book in advance. We had to eat later than we would like to get the restaurants we wanted.

Your beach was beautiful! The staff was very friendly

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Hotel check-in and check-out are a disaster
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 3 Children)

Hotel did not honor the price that was set with Booking.com. We had to have a lengthy argument at check-in time. Hotel did not honor children policy either. Check-in in this hotel is a big mess - almost tainted the whole experience. Service for people with Celiac - gluten sensitive is very mediocre

Very nice facilities. Wonderful beach. Swimming with turtles is a unique experience. Service and food are of very high quality and variety

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Location and amenities as well as friendly waitresses and...

Check in was a complete disaster immediate Giest services and front desk concierge were very rude, annoying, and inconsistent

Location and amenities as well as friendly waitresses and baristas

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Overall happy, but very delayed process

Their system for check-in and check out was extremely slow, we had friends who arrived before us (6am) and didn't get a room until 4pm which then had to be switch to a different room the following day. Considering that most people were traveling for a wedding, this was a bit disheartening for all of us.

The food was ok, repetitive, but overall good. The staff we encountered during our stay were very knowledgeable as well as friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Beautiful resort, mediocre service

The service left some to be desired. I was there for a wedding, one I was told that broke records for guest count, we had over 130 people present for this occasion overall. Despite the volume of business we all provided by attending this wedding, they were not accommodating in the very least. An error in booking in which I am still sorting out with my traveling agency resulted in the room being booked only for one person instead of the two that were present. I accepted that there was a mistake and was willing to pay extra money for the second occupant, I began to ask that due to the size of the group I came with if anything could be done on price or accommodations and was immediately shut down before I could even finish my question. I ultimately opened a voucher so that I could check in while I sorted the mess out with my travel agency, 2 days in to my 5 day stay, I received a rather rude call from the front desk telling me to figure out my situation and that I had 24 hours to get back to me. I ultimately ended up paying the additional cost with just to avoid the rude calls and enjoy the rest of my trip. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful resort, the food at the restaurants I did attend was top notch, the buffet style food was decent. I don't know that I'd go back as I wasn't fond of the service but aesthetically the resort is very nice.

The resort was beautiful, the facilities were clean, the rooms were gorgeous and the overall feel of the place was great.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

The bathroom floor is very slippery. I slipped and fell very hard hitting my head causing a concussion. I passed out on the bathroom floor for two (2) hours. The food was contaminated and I was nauseous for five (5) days. Food handlers need better training. I ordered room service and the food was poor quality... One strip of bacon on a BLT!!! Subway sandwiches looks like a five (5) star restaurant compared to this. I witnessed an employee drop a fork and placed it on the table. I walked over to the table and removed the utensils. The ants are annoying... they bite!

The resort was clean and maintained.

I loved it

6.0
    i
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

customer service , room service was slow, check-in took 45 mins.

i

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Fun

My room wasn't ready at 3pm as expected. Also long walk from room to lobby

Clean and on the beach

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Personal and hotel was excellent
    • Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Personal and hotel was excellent I recommend this hotel Barcelo Maya Palace

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Avoid... go else where

Staff were shocking. Thieving hotel that will try and con you at every given opportunity

Not a great deal

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Friendliness of staff and maintenance of grounds
    • Junior Suite Pool View Premium Level

Would have liked more input on activities of area.

Friendliness of staff and maintenance of grounds

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Overall was great vacation

AC in room wasn't perfect but it was manageable

Good facilities, great pools, plenty of daily activities.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

The extra happy staff and beautiful location

My 14 year old having to stay on a sofa because they don't have two bedroom rooms

The extra happy staff and beautiful location

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Excellent facilities, super friendly staff.

The sand in the beach zone in the Palace has some little stones. Needs more shadow as well.

Excellent facilities, super friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

la playa

la atencion

la playa

• Reviewed: 9 May 2016

The barcela Maya palace was a wonderful place to stay for...

there was nothing that we didn't like.

The barcela Maya palace was a wonderful place to stay for our vacation, we truly met the best of friends at dressel divers. Staff of the palace were great and neat appearance. All the employees of the whole resort are excellent workers and servers. Thank you for your service !

• Reviewed: 20 March 2016

Very poor electric service in the room.

Very poor electric service in the room. The lights, air conditioner, etc., were constantly failing to stay on. I contacted the hotel on 6 separate occasions over 3 days and they sent maintenance guys to the room to fix it. They never did fix it. The air conditioning would not get cool enough to sleep comfortably at at night. Internet access was expensive, slow and very unreliable.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2016

Other than the initial front desk staff member, the entire...

Asked the front desk person to do something nice for my girlfirend's 30th bday, he said he would and did nothing, except put us in a room that was as far away from the beach as the resort had to offer.

Other than the initial front desk staff member, the entire staff was friendly and accommodating, the food very good, the amenities excellent, the beach fantastic.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

Programs for adults & kids were great.

I didn't like that I had to call for service to refill my snacks & drinks in room...these should automatically refilled by housekeeping when cleaning room. I wished they had jr family suites closer to pool & beach.

Programs for adults & kids were great. Buffet was yummy & great quality. Staff was so friendly and facility was so nice!

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

The staff is exceptional.

For an all inclusive resort there were too many extras. The ridicolous internet fees. No shuttle transportation from/to the airport. A lot of activities were at extra charge, like the spa, bowling or swimming with dolphins. The quantity and variety of food was amazing but the quality was so so. Vast majority of food I tasted was really bland. Booking the restaurants for dinner was a bit of a pain. The kid's club was more like babysitting. I felt the activities were geared towards under 7 yo. My kids are between 7 and 12 and they were rather bored. Finally, do yourself a favor and do not book the trip to Chichen Itza through the resort. We spent way too long on the bus, for just 2 interesting hours sightseeing. At that price we could have booked a private tour.

The staff is exceptional. They try really hard to make you feel as pampered as possible. The facilities are beautiful and cleaned. The place is huge and it takes sometimes to find your way around the resort. The kids loved the pools and the water parks. We were able to play tennis and basket ball. We really enjoyed our staying!

• Reviewed: 5 January 2016

We were travelling with our 2 year old daughter.

Probably my only complaint would be the towel service.. confusing process. But that's quite minor.. Also, given the price we paid, WiFi should have been free. Even at the daily charge, you could only use it on 1 device at a time.

We were travelling with our 2 year old daughter. Very family friendly hotel. The facilities were excellent, with a great pool for little kids.. best I've seen! Take a free ride on the shuttle to the Maya Mall where there's a carousel. Food at the buffet was very good, and all staff / service very nice. Also very comfortable beds, and spacious rooms.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2015

Everything was very clean and well maintained.

Technology seems to be lacking - checking in and out is tedious and time consuming. Wifi is not free, and if you purchase it, you can only use it on one device at a time. It is only available in the lobby or in your room, and is very slow.

Everything was very clean and well maintained. The beach and pool areas are wonderful. Plenty of chairs and places to relax.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

la comida deliciosa, la playa y piscinas

algunas cosas deberían estar incluidas, ya que es el mejor hotel de los de la cadena barceló allá, tales como el bowling o el surf.

la comida deliciosa, la playa y piscinas

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

the staff was so friendly.

the food. I am admittedly a foodie and the buffet was not to my liking. I expected a slightly higher quality of food. the evening restaurants were hard to get reservations at even though we booked the moment we arrived (which is required, do not wait till the day of or you will be left without a reservation). Dinner took upwards of 2+ hours, so our options were either the disappointing buffet, or a very late 2+ hour dinner. I would have loved something like a burger shack just to grab something during the day instead of having to go into a restaurant as well. Your snacking options are nonexistent there.

the staff was so friendly. I did not run into one grumpy employee. The entire hotel was kept very clean. We saw no bugs in rooms, as others had complained about or trash around the grounds. The rooms were large, quiet, and cool

• Reviewed: 1 February 2015

Loved its ease of staying within the hotel compound, yet was...

DIdnt like how we had to pay for internet at such a high price

Loved its ease of staying within the hotel compound, yet was able to explore the other hotels and use their facilities as well. Very happy that it was all inclusive - we didn't go hungry or thirsty at all with all the food around us which were scrumptious! Outside the hotel grounds and across the highway are a string of beautiful and natural cenotes just about 15 minutes walk away. Loved everything about the hotel and the beach.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2015

So much to do, great beach, great staff, service was...

Beds were firm, and the room was slightly muggy but this resort has far more good things than bad.

So much to do, great beach, great staff, service was incredible whether you tip them or not but I recommend tipping them because they provide far better service than ANY waiter in the united states, great drinks, and above all the resort is beyond beautiful. Tip: make sure to explore the resort. Walk down to the beach resort and check out the new shopping mall. Very impressive. Also make reservations every night to the fancy restaurants: it adds a very nice touch and makes you feel like royalty.

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

The grounds and amenities

need a better way to get dinner reservations. Need more service people at check in and dinner reservation desk

The grounds and amenities

• Reviewed: 8 February 2016

Excellent resort with plenty of choice.

Buffett food Luke warm.

Excellent resort with plenty of choice. Suitable for couples & families.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2016

I like the swimming pools, the different buffetts, the shows...

The mattress was too hard and the cover felt like plastic.

I like the swimming pools, the different buffetts, the shows and the free shuttles.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2016

Clean facility with great service

Food was awful

Clean facility with great service

• Reviewed: 10 January 2015

Location, facilities, restorants, beach and nature.

Not free Wi-Fi

Location, facilities, restorants, beach and nature.

There are also 12 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.