Reviews of Occidental Tucancún 4 stars

Boulevard Kukulkan Km 13.5 Lote 24 Zona Hotelera, 77513 Cancún, Mexico

#46 of 187 hotels in Cancún

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Birthday Trip to Cancún

The timeshare presentation that they lead you directly into as soon as you check in, I didn't like AT ALL! The Wifi wasn't free, and the convenience store inside the resort was WAY OVERPRICED. The workers didn't understand English and the store didn't take cash USD, only a credit card. The rooms weren't updated and kinda Basic. We had to ask housekeeping for face towels every day as they kept forgetting to leave them when they left fresh towels.

The rooms were clean. I've been to nicer resorts but for the price since I literally booked the night before arriving, I can't complain too much. The worker's we're nice and helpful. The variety of food was a plus, and taste pretty good especially for an all inclusive resort. The Beach access was nice. The alcoholic beverages they continuously make for you, I absolutely loved. It was my Birthday so we dined at the Italian restaurant where they helped make it special with candles on a cake and a bottle of champagne to take to our room. I left a good tip after such good Birthday service!

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Good to relax in Cancun

Beach chairs Food of just average-low quality Pay for the wifi Too many algae in the sea water on some days

Nice room Nice location Comfortable bed Good wifi Nice staff

It was an all file trip and location was perfect for...

There must have been a plumbing issue because the rooms smelled liked crap a few times and toilet and sink stopped up once.

It was an all file trip and location was perfect for everything (partying, great food)

We would love to stay here again!

Our room was old, at first the hair dryer did not work properly, the refrigerator didn’t get cold. But once we made the staff aware of this they corrected them!

The staff was wonderful. They helped us with any questions we asked them!

The Most Racist Hotel

This is an extremely racist establishment. The staff is rude and condescending towards black people and has a superiority complex. they are argumentative and have no conception of customer service. I will never stay here again. The pools are dirty, the food sucks and this is clearly a place for fair skinned Latinos-- if you are an American especially a black american (or from any other country and have darker skin) then you are not welcome here.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

It was amazing

Some maintenance being done around my room hammering in the am while u were trying to sleep.

It was a very good experience to be my first time in Mexico , people was really friendly and nice .

We had a great time but I probably wouldn't stay again
    • Double Ocean Front

Coming from a person that doesn't speak Spanish fluently it would've been nice to have some English speaking channels on television. Also our room had ants. They weren't all over the room excessively but I killed a couple in the bathroom. We also had a heart made of towels and rose petals on the bed our last night there (housekeeping was made aware that we were there for our anniversary) and chocolate covered fruit on the night stand. But ants got to the fruit before we did so we didn't eat it. But the bed was nice.

The bartenders were AMAZING!!! They remembered what my husband and I were drinking. We really developed a good rapport with Max!! All of the staff were very friendly. The food was descent.

The first few nights were rough but for the season I would give the hotel a B. Needs updating
    • Double Ocean Front

The room service was a bit slow, and our first night the bed was in such a condition we had to change rooms. The ratings were a bit misleading on pricing. Lots of hidden pricing like if you lose a wrist band, a towel, a key etc and wi-fi prices were simply out the roof. For the price I would say in high season it was fair but Cancun in high season? NEVER AGAIN. Gouging is an apt word. Occidental was the most reasonable of the all inclusives. However, weekend service and aiming to please the customer was like pulling teeth by the weekend crew. Abigail was great and concierge and gave us a reduced rate by 10 percent on a spa package which I gave to my wife and daughter. The concierge stepped up the service and Mr Delgado and Mrs Zamudia made us feel welcome. Some of the front desk people are downright RUDE. Anna was the exception and nice but really seemed like no one could provide some leniency on things. Essentially you are on your own after 5 without paying an arm and a leg. Thank God for the pharmacy and gift shop to restock our mini bar if we missed the guy who restocks during the day. One thing I did like was when you have the sleep sign on the door they truly leave you alone. We are not whiners and have stayed at much worse but the ratings were misleading. To put it in a sentence it is a mediocre hotel with awesome people like Delgado and Mrs Zamudio who save people from bolting out of there. DO NOT BUY THE ROUND TRIP SUPERSHUTTLE. Major ripoff bc you have to call 24 hours before for them to pick you up. I speak fluent Spanish and no one explained the fine print on the bracelets, towels, hidden fees until after you sign.

The restaurant manager Manuel Delgado from the Italian restaurant was excellent and made the difference in us deciding to leave or stay. We really wanted to leave after the weekend debacle. The hotel is lucky to have this man. He makes everyone feel welcome and makes things a great deal brighter. Bless you Manuel! We arrived on a weekend. We understand it is high season, but charging 45 dollars for each device for wi-fi was a shock. Having to wear a bracelet and the whole beach towel regimen and other policies were a bit stiff. But back to Mr Delgado. He made the difference as did the manager for Mexico Lindo, Ms Zamudio. The Italian and Mexican food is what we lived off of. We had a rough patch on the room’s condition the first night and the hotel needs some updating but it is the people that made the difference. I give Mr Delgado and Mrs Zamudio 5 stars. The hotel could have at least given us one free night. When we asked if someone could bring us towels, soap or restock the mini bar after hours it was like asking for a kidney donor. The place looks great, friendly people except for a few inflexible people at the front desk, hidden charges and the wet bed debacle I do not want to get into. A free night would have been nice but to their credit, a beautiful dinner that our waiter Mr Noh and Manager Delgado handled , plus champagne and roses for the wife saved the week. The seaweed was a major bummer for our beach experience but it was seasonal and not their fault. I priced other all inclusives and this was at least the best one for the price. The cable took days to give us both English and Spanish channels. We adapted, but the rooms and hallway definitely do not match up to the rest of the hotel. All in all, it was the people that make the hotel. The wi fi should be included and the towel thing is a major pain in the rear. Also the beach closing even before twilight is a major buzzkill.

Had a blast!
    • Family Ocean Front Premium Level

Little leaking due to torrential rains. Other than that, great stay!

Clean, drinks and food aplenty, and awesome, friendly staff! Great pool and fun activities!

Will be back!

A few menu selections were out at later seatings. Had a little flooding due to torrential rains. But hotel staff was on it.

First time doing all-inclusive and definitely worth it with the college students in our group. Food and drink was plentiful and good variety. Had daily activities, even with folks cooped up because of the weather. Staff was awesome!

Good value for money and a very pleasant stay
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

Music could be heard up on the 5th floor of that wing. It stops around 11pm so that’s a plus.

Comfortable bed and spacious room. All inclusive meal choices were relatively good. Entertainment was put on all day which was a benefit due to weather being bad. The staff are fantastic and cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. Alexi in the bar area should be commended for her great personality, always smiling and cannot do enough for the guests.

Bad, costly, not inviting at all. Hasselled for tips for doing below par things.

The ridiculous price for wifi.... $10 a day, per person... when travelling overseas you relay on wifi, and they take full advantage of this. Absolutely disgraceful. A total of $100 USD for 5 days for my partner and I. Average room, all the entertainment was in Spanish, not accomodating for their English speaking guests at all. Will not go back, will NOT recommend... find another option.

The buffet, the beach.

Came for the Beach and sun, and that's what we got...

Stay: Our room was supposed to have a king bed, not 2 full sized beds. The back sliding glass door did not lock, we had to get a worker to come fix. The shower door leaked so the bathroom was a wet mess. One evening there was no hot water. We were told by the front desk during check-in that ALL items in the mini fridge were free and would be stocked daily. This did not happen on a regular basis. On our 3 day stay, the fridge was restocked once... on the last day. Finally, we were never notified of any PREMIUM alcohol service based on wrist bands. I would have gladly paid for that upgrade. We only found this out when we met a couple from Kansas that would always have Corona from a can while we received beer from the tap (which seemed to be watered down.) Very frustrating. Rules: Also, there seemed to be rules for sum but not for everyone. We noticed on multiple occasions guests with the exact same wristband color as we had getting premium alcohol. Other bar staff asking guests around us if they needed anything, and walked right passed us not making eye contact. It wasn't until I tipped our waiter with a $20 bill that we got service. Also, there was an adult pool and on multiple occasions there were children at the pool making noise. Food: The food was ok. I'll just say It's what you would expect from an All-Inclusive. Best food was dinner at the Italian restaurant, especially the pasta bar. The lunches were decent as well, it's really hard to screw up a burger and fries. Breakfast and the dinner buffet's were not good. Items were overcooked and did not taste good. I made it through breakfast by eating a waffle or pancake and sausage links. Internet: The internet was NOT included. If you wanted internet, it was based on per device. For our stay it was $30 for the 4 days we were there which meant $30 for me and $30 for my wife. Just silly if you ask me.

The property is located in a perfect location just 15 min from airport, which is what we looking for, maximizing our time at the beach. Our reservations called for a king bed in the towers facing the bay. We actually were given a beach side villa, but with 2 full sized beds. We didn't complain about the beds because of what we considered an upgraded location. We also liked the pools and locations. The first 2 days we hung out upstairs at the infinite pool area. This area has 2 levels, the top level is the infinite part, the lower level has the overflow from the infinite. Both locations were great and had lounge chairs and umbrellas and that seemed always to be available. The last day we settled in at the Adult pool which had thatched roof umbrellas that cast a lot more shade. I needed the shade that last day. Finally, the bar-waiter Pablo was always on the prowl to make sure you had what you needed.

ok..not great.

Property is not very clean. Bathroom have mold, dirty toilet, and water smells. lobby have dirty curtains. Hotel staffs will try to sell you timeshare.

Drinks are good, can taste the alcohol.

Friendly staff

Pool was so much fun we meet some amazing people from all walks of the world. The staff are super happy and friendly. Angel the bar tender is the best of the best

Don't go there!!! Please. Don't ruin your break for saving a little bit money!

It is the second I've been to Cancun, and I am sure this hotel is not a good choice if you wanna have a good time and enjoy real Mexican food.

The people at the front desk are nice, but it is the same for every hotel I guess.

Enjoyable

The ala carte restaurants for dinner were really terrible.. one boasted to be authentic Mexican n Seafood special but the quality of food and availability of choices not great. The desserts needs uplifting ...everyday same or similar types of sweet treats which were processed artificially. The Choice for breakfast was same. Hashbrowns really stale and freezer fried!! Overall food could have been better in terms of taste quality n chouces.

Amazing views of the ocean

My experience at the resort was awesome!!

Transportation from the airport to the resort were agrevating because I tried to call the resort 4 times to set it up and was hung up on all 4 times so I ended up paying almost $100 for a 20 mile trip. But once we got to the resort it was great

The staff, facilities and food were awesome

First all inclusive. Not terrible, not amazing either. Friends made it worth everything they lacked.

I did not like the food at all. It was like they to Americanize it too much. It should have been authentic Mexican food, like I expected. The chicken was NEVER cooked all the way through. I had to ask to keep it on the grill and I still didn't feel comfortable eating it.

Loved the breakfast, it was my favorite part! Eddie is the man!

We had an awesome time!
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

Staff is awesome and quickly attend to your needs. Jose and Eddy in the bar area were superb. Obed, Angel, Nelly, and Eric ensured you were well taken care of. Food and drink was plentiful and good. Hotel never seemed crowded and never had to wait for anything. Awesome time!

I lost my jewelry in the my room in the hotel and I tried to...

I lost my jewelry in the my room in the hotel and I tried to communicate with the staff and missed my flight. My boyfriend didn’t like the food though, I think it was ok.

Very relaxing stay in Cancun.
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

The only bad thing is that we found two cocrouches in the room...

Transportation was at the airport waiting for us although we had more than an hour delay.Very good hotel with the Premium levels rooms having amazing beach view and fast internet.all facilities were nice,breakfast and coffee were delicious and serving until noon.We even organized a one day excursion to Chichen Itza at very good price in the hotel travel service.Close to La Isla mall which full of open shops,restaurants and bars,approximately 10 minutes walking.Overall great choice to relax in Cancun.

Exellent short stay for that price

Clean and big room. Nice buffet. Staff very helpful. Exactly on the beach. They have show every evenining, and different thematic dinner in the main restourant. Good location, next to the mall. Stayed there only for 2 nights.

I would stay somewhere else. Very rude staff

Rude and agly employees. Ignoring the guest all the time. Food was average even for the top restaurants and the alcoholic drinks were just water.

Great beach views and guests atmosphere. Nice and equipped room

Good option for spring break, but food could be better.

The food was terrible. Seems that most of it was frozen and reheated over and over. Food that was made fresh for dinner in the different restaurants was better.

The rooms were clean and the staff is friendly. Pool facilities were nice too.

The strength of this hotel is the location.
    • Double Ocean Front

It was very confusing to buy a package from the hotel to do our excursion. They have the tendency of trying to sell you the most expensive packages making you think they are offering you "discounted packages". Get informed on pricing online before buying packages from them.

The strength of this hotel is the location. It gives direct access to an amazing white sand beach.

• Double Ocean Front

You pay a lot for not good food, not very friendly staff and nothing remarkable. The night shows were very badly and poor done. The drinks were really bad and the day shows in the swimming pool were just noisy and nothing interesting. The rooms were clean enough however are old and cheap.

It was clean and the location to take the bus was a good one.

Nice property with great beach
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

The bedsheets didnt breath well. We booked a king bed but they gave us two double beds.

The premium lounge alcohol selection. The breakfast Buffett was very good. Customer service was good at the premium level.

Great spot to stay!
    • Double Ocean Front

Ants in the room and there weren’t face towels unless you asked. Other than that the stay was great.

The staff was great! The drinks weren’t watered down like I’ve experienced before. The rooms were clean except for ants, but’s it’s tropical climate and we had the balcony door open a lot so I wasn’t surprised. Food was best early in the morning or meal shift. The location was great with the mall right behind it. Had a great time!

I did lots of research before booking this all-inclusive...
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

I can't really think of anything to complain about. I guess if you are super into room service, you might be disappointed in the room service selection.

I did lots of research before booking this all-inclusive because there are so many things to consider like activities and food quality. This hotel is well located near a shopping center, an aquatic adventure center (I forget the name...Aqua World?) but we hardly needed to go anywhere to be perfectly happy. They had good quality entertainment, and my adult children and I all thought the food was excellent...much better quality than the average buffet. We dined twice at the al la cart restaurants and honestly, I liked the buffets even more. I thought the food quality was just as good and I was able to try a little of many, many dishes. We went to the Italian, Mexican and Seafood restaurants, plus the buffet, which has a different theme each night. If I had to rank them, I would say I liked the buffet and the Italian the best, followed by the seafood (the used to call this the Asian restaurant and the food is still very asian) and finally the Mexican, which I would skip altogether, unless you don't spend any time in Mexico outside of an all-inclusive (which would be a real shame.) As a side note, I highly recommend spending a few days in Valladolid.

A relaxing holiday, with only a couple of minor hiccups, will certainly be returning.

We selected early Check-In with Booking.com, but on checking with the Hotel, that was not an option available to people outside their own Membership.

Excellent Food, good choice, four restaurants to choose from, all had their plus and minus, but that is down to personal taste. The Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean, and the Staff, are on the whole, friendly, and helpful, many speak English, those that don't try, but it goes a long way, if you can speak Spanish, or at least attempt to.

Good value for great experience

Room AC was too noisy. Food quality should be improved.

Location is great, right in front of beach with several pools accessible. A big shopping mall just across the street and easy to take public shuttle there. Staff there are warmly and helpful. We arrived early in the morning, checked in soon and was allowed to access to breakfast and everywhere with wrist band. Room was also provided quickly around noon. Various of drinks in room Mini bar are free while you could easily get snack and good cappuccino at lobby snack corner 24 hours

Awesome stay at the Tucancun

Nothing not to like

Everything was close together. The staff was amazing. Alex, Felix, Nellie, Pablo, all of the staff were great. The food was wonderful.

Will never return to this hotel

the food was bad, of low quality, it was really a problem, what to eat, especially, if you prefer vegetarian food. we booked a tour in the hotel, they told us that the tour includes Ik Kil cenote, but actually it was another small one cenote. Every time they were trying to rip you off, which was obvious, which spoils the whole mood of vacation. The staff not always was friendly. In the room that we stayed you can all the time hear the noise of some engine, which is either form the hotel or the nearby one. Evening are very boring.

location is quite good, the beach is excellent

Overall it was amazing, but they need to fix the WiFi situation

No free WiFi!!!! What kind of hotel doesn’t offer free WiFi in 2018?! That was a huge drawback. They only offer free WiFi one hour per day from 11 am to 12 pm which is so inconvenient because that’s when you’re out (and it’s only in the lobby). The one day I did use the free WiFi, it was terribly slow.

The location is great. Moreover, the view from the room is spectacular and the pool and beach facilities are awesome.

The views are AMAZING!

The food was bland no seasoning or flavor and not much variety. And the pushy timeshare people.

The views are AMAZING! It's so beautiful. We loved every day of our stay. The staff was super nice, courteous and helpful. All the bartenders were awesome! The drinks were delicious. The staff went above and beyond to make your stay very comfortable. Please tip them, they really appreciate it.

Can not recommend.

Weired sound like vabration from machine. I think it is building problem. Sticky bed, maybe it's ocean view.. so baaad food... I absoultely can't recommend you foods in this facility, please avoid it if you can. To use Wifi you have to pay usd12 per day. If you perchase several days there is discount. For these reasons I've tried many time to cancel my booking but I couldn't. This hotel told me you have to cancel this reservation via booking.com so I contacted booking.com to cancel it but booking.com couldn't reach the hotel until last days.

Good location, kind staff, I think this property works just I paid. Not too bad. My wife had no complaint.

Over-Priced All-In

On my bucket list of things never to do, going to a All-inclusive hotel was on the top. I had to learn the hard way, and due to a prior bad property experience, that to enjoy the beach in Cancun that is the only choice. Even so, one could expect for around $200 a night, as I did half way decent food, beverages, and cleaned. None of which is the case here. Let’s start with the food, they offer a buffet 3 x daily. A lot of variety is included, even with a open grill. Yet, the food is really horrible. Which, I could still deal with to a extent, for breakfast and lunch, -dinner forget it. All of that would not be so bad, if not after entering the dinning rooms, you did not immediately stick massively like kitchen grease. The grill ventilation is simply horrible. The same principle applies to the bars, the cheapest alcohol is used, the bar tenders are just pounding out what ever on drinks. You would be wise to be cautious of a head-ache. There is no service at the beach. Which is a massive deal-breaker for me. Every time you want a water like I did, you would be given a dinky plastic cup, as opposed to at least a bottle of water. To get beverages, you had to go up several flights of stairs. Taking your belongings with you, waiting in line forever, etc etc. extremely aggravating. The bathroom, specifically shower was not very clean. The floor in the whole room always felt scummy. Bed sheets were only changed every few days. All in all a disappointing experience, and most certainly not worth the money. I can say this, since friends were staying at a nearby facility, paying only slightly more & had considerable better service. Also the price for using WiFi is atrocious $12 a day I believe. Insane. Would I stay here again? No. Never.

The staff is definitely very nice. Especially a tall gentleman at the front desk, who’s name I forgot. For the most part they, as best as they can try to accommodate. The facilities could be much nicer with a little TLC. Also, the bell-boys are very helpful in helping not to get ripped-off by the taxis. This happened numerous times. Just to let the reader know, I’m in Mexico once a month. But the Cancun taxis are criminal. Make sure to ask your hotel about rates.

Loved the Italian restaurant thou food run out pretty...

Should have free internet 24hrs even thou you dont go there to go online but in my case I had to work 1-2 hours a day and I had to pay for internet which was pretty expensive, you only get 1 hour free each day and I was there for 1 week so that wasnt good. The do check in at 3pm and check out at 11, I believe if they are going to do such a late check in the check out should be later as well. Check in is at 3pm but you are able to use facilities except room so thats pretty good. The italian restaurant is the best but only noquis and veggy ravioli every day (im a vegetarian so it was great but everyday the same menu, they could have more options every day). as popular as it was, you got to wait 30 minutes sometimes 1 hour for a table, so they should open another restaurant or make it bigger, it was def the best one as the other 2 were mexican and buffet (same buffet you get to have at lunch time)

Loved the Italian restaurant thou food run out pretty quickly which wasnt great for those of us who wanted to eat at 9.30pm after the 9pm entertainment show. You do want to eat late after a big breakfast and lunch, also as pool games are between 12-4pm sometimes you dont get to have lunch til 4.30pm. the pool area and the entertainers (awesome entertainers Billy and Dany specially) and games there, the clean and stunning beach. The food was awesome but the last hour the restaurants were open the food you always found yourself with less options specially as a vegetarian. The night entertainment was great specially the michael jackson and Monday show. The rooms were huge and clean and the view fantastic. the property is clean all the time, in great condition, the stuff is super friendly and you get to properly relax. Incredible experience and would def go back. we had a midnight flight and they allowed us check out at 11am and stay the full day with bracelets on so it was almost as if we had a free day there so that was fantastic.

It was ok but won’t return to this property

The room didn’t have hot water for first day. This property needs more entertainment during the day at and around the pool. There was only one choice of beer and cocktails need help as well.

The food was good

Would do it again!

Paid WiFi, cook touching food weird bare hands in buffet area and we was unsure if we was supposed to tip the staff or not.

I truly enjoyed myself at Occidental. The bartender in the lobby bar Marcos was so delightful and courteous. The food was hit or miss... somedays great others days required an acquired taste. Also, one of the cooks touched the food with her bare hands and that to me was very unsanitary.

An all inclusive that exceeds expectations.

Beware if you have trouble with stairs; in some areas they are the only way to get from one area to another.

This was the perfect resort vacation. From the moment we arrived until we left, the entire staff was warm, friendly and accommodating. Our room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The food for an all exclusive exceeded our expectations; every meal was delicious and plentiful. Alcohol was included, and even the items in the mini bar were part of the all included. There was a show every night, and I must say they were mostly entertaining. You could settle comfortably by any of the pools or on the beach. There were activities for every age group. All the areas were spotlessly clean the tiles shining brightly.

It was time away from home and it was ok.

how the room I booked on here was not available when I got to the hotel and had to pay extra to get what I originally booked

how the staff came down to the sand area for drinks on a regular bases.

Great resort and worth every dollar. True bargain!

That you need reservations for 2 of the restaurants. They should just be open to all at the resorts. Also I didnt like being pitched to do a timeshare presentation when we were clearly on vacation to relax and enjoy our family.

The food was great. Staff was polite and went over and beyond. Check in was smooth and although we had a late check in...they gave us our wrist bands so we can go grab something to eat before the resturant closed its buffet. The snack bar is open 24/7 with hot food and the bar is serving drinks all night and day. Pools clean and beach beautiful. We enjoyed our stay. We stayed with our toddler son.

Enjoyable
    • Double Ocean Front

Artificial juice, oriental food was really bad, room was very dated, wasroom door hard to close, access card failed to open the door all the time

Enviroment, activities and pool staff

Cheap, nice staff but bad food!

The food was awful pretty sure it made me very ill as I only ate there and got ill. The alcohol was cheap and nasty. No free internet. Very expensive late check out. Room service costs more even if you are all inclusive. Generally wouldn’t return we went to Royal Sands for theee days before here and it was ten times better!!!

The staff are lovely especially the waiting on staff and the the bag boys at the front. The rooms are spacious and I like the adult pool.

Just what we expected. Four days of total relaxation, swimming and beach walking

Maybe buffet dinner and lunches could have been a little better. Have to say though that we ate beef tenderloins at the a-la-carte restaurant that was grilled to perfection.

Rooms were great and clean. We had a sea view. The breakfast was really good and varied. The lunch and dinners were not great but ok. You can always find food that you like at the buffets. The pool bars and the lobby bar was good with nice staff.

It is an all-inclusive hotel while you can have food and...

The food is not as I expected, two restaurants have the same breakfast. The staffs are always promoting their membership cards. Also, compare to ClubMed, the service and food are not good enough. Wifi is not free, 12 USD per day, and you need to pay for each of device.

It is an all-inclusive hotel while you can have food and drink anytime you want. The private beach is ok.

Great all-inclusive hotel!

The bathroom is smaller than I have expected. Guests have to pay for internet. Free public WIFI is only available from 11 to 12 am at the lobby.

Occidental Tucancun definitely gave a plus to our stay at Cancun. The check-in process is smoother than I have expected. We are able to get the access to restaurants and hotel facilities before the room is ready, which means you can actually leave your luggages at the bellmen and enjoy your time if you arrive before the normal check-in time. And the food at the restaurants is great!

Great location but with some imperfections for a hefty price

WiFi is not included. Very strange for a hotel this price. The buffet for the dinner was more than average.

Great beach, great view on the sea. Large hotel but we never felt like there was too many people to access some restaurants, areas, etc.

Awesome stay at a great price
    • Double Ocean Front

The food was OK. I wish I would have known to bring long pants and closed toe shoes so we could have gone into the nicer restaurant. The Snack Bar area really got the spot throughout the day though.

This was an awesome place to stay for our first trip to Cancun. The price was much lower than other places I had searched so I was somewhat skeptical but it turned out to be phenomenal. Great pools and ocean views. Clean and spacious rooms. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The bar staff was awesome. Could not have asked for a better place to stay.

Good.
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

Some staff could not understand English well, had a little trouble getting through our requests, otherwise good.

The Christmas buffet was excellent... But the fine dinning was not better than buffet, which is a little surprising.

Amazing spot!

The only negative point I would have to mention is the lack of free WiFi. I was a bit shocked that in 2017 this place had no free WiFi (other than the 1 hour a day which only worked in the main lobby), especially since it's not a cheap hotel to begin with. Most high end places would offer a free regular speed option, and a fast paid upgrade. This was not the case.

The food quality and choices were outstanding just within the complex. There was an excellent tradicional Mexican restaurant, a delicious Italian restaurant, and a great fish and seafood restaurant. You also have your regular restaurants that offer lots of great quality food and tons of variety. The staff was always very professional and friendly. The entertainment was great. There are activities going on during the day for all ages. I joined the beach volleyball a few times and it was super fun! Some of the night shows were amazing, especially the acrobatic show and the traicional Mexican dances show. Location is fantastic, right at the beach, which is a clean, white sand, beautiful spot. There are some outside restaurants within walking distance, but since this place is all inclusive and they offer several options, I didn't try other options. There are two malls within a 5min walk, and a public bus that comes constantly on the main road to take you up and down the main strip which I used to go to other parts of town, or get to the ferry to Isla Mujeres.

Its way too expensive for what it is.

Beds were not comfy at all, the room didnt look clean, the staff was definitely not friendly, the food and drinks were bland and not very much variety.

Right in front of the beautiful beach.

awful

Service is terrible!!! You have to make reservation for the special restaurants!!! However, those restaurants serves food just other hotel buffet food! The cup even has the lip ink!! 💁🏿‍♂️💁🏿‍♂️💁🏿‍♂️ after 10:30 nothing offer to you except the limited kinds of snacks....

Good value for money

Person named Roberto fooled us into attending a "celebration" which turned out to be a presentation to sell their membership. Thankfully the sales team was very reasonable, so was easy to say no. No bath tub in the rooms. Extremely limited food options for vegetarians. Some times the items in the buffet restaurant were replaced with some other item, but the label wasn't changed, making it confusing for vegetarians. The Mexican and Italian restaurants have good food but extremely limited menu. Common restrooms were stinking most of the times. As the crowd increased, the overall quality of service went down significantly.

Extremely scenic location, very friendly staff, good rooms, flexible checkout policies. Overall, very relaxing and fun. The waiters in the buffet restaurant were very nice and friendly. The photographer was amazing. Alberto the bartender was very friendly too. Housekeeping team was very efficient and kept the room tidy all the time. Swimming pools were nice as well. Good value for money.

Basic. Mediocre food. beach and location the best thing.

Food was mediocre. buffet the same daily. front desk staff was standoffish. everyone tries to sell you something.. Even the towel guy! The front desk staff did not explain anything about the hotel. she just gave us our room number and did not direct us where to go. room is standard dated but very clean. there are hardly any events at this hotel so if you're looking for a resort that gives you everything as far as basic nightlife or evening activities such as salsa dancing or listening to music. this is not the place.

Perfect location. beach was beautiful. helper staff was very attentive.

The Staff was great

Must pay for internet...! You need to make reservations at most restaurant to eat which is incontienint. Certain services are charged, that are free at other all inclusives. Little nightly entertainment.

Generally nice property, but $120 for three people to get wifi is CRAZY!

WIFI is $40 a week for EACH DEVICE! The food in the theme restaurants left a lot to be desired. Reservations for those restaurants were hard to get.

The beach is excellent, with plenty of beach chairs. The buffet restaurant was very good. The food servers were very good. the room was clean.

perfect to relax, meet people from other countries and have fun

The hotel was good, we didn’t have any issue. The restaurants are also good, but I cannot say more just because I am not picky and I like everything :). But what I really like from Occidental Tucancun, they are helpful and very kind. The entertainment people is funny and from the first day they try to engage people into the activities. At the bars even sometimes they get busy they try to serve quick, special mention for the guys at the lobby bar Antonio and Super Margarito!

Friendly staff and great Mexican food

lack of free wifi. I believe this should be standard in this kind of property

staff working at property is very professional and friendly. Answered all our questions and helped with everything we needed. Room were big enough, bed super comfortable and we were lucky to have amazing view :-) Breakfast was great too lot of choices. We loved the Mexican restaurant! The food and services was amazing!!! And the best chocolate margarita :-)

Amazing heaven !
    • Double Ocean Front

Only two things: 1.you must pay the full room price while checking in and there is no option to pay at the end like most of the hotels 2.Air condition in the restaurants is too high

The hotel is literally on the beach which is unbelievable and beautiful.The hotel staff is extremely professional and makes you to fell out of space.the hotel is absolutely good managed and does have everything that you need.Definitely will come back

Overall a nice hotel and friendly staff. Food was good, cockatails could be better.
    • Double Ocean Front

They are a bit stingy with the ingredients and amount of alcohol in their cocktails

Bathroom was really clean, beds and pillows are comfortable, ocean view absolutely worth it

Great value for money!

Nothing I can think of.

Great value for money! Location is nice, food is good with a few different restaurants to choose from. The beach is really beautiful and the rooms are pretty nice.

Restore the rooms please

The building is very old, i think that they must restore it completelly, especialy the rooms, because it’s very old and small (terrible rooms). We booked a room for 4 but it wasn’t for 4. The Italian food was terrible. Most of the coctails were terrible (specially the mojito). I don’t recommend this hotel.

The lobby is new and big and the swiming pool is clean. The mexican restaurant is very good (food and staff).

We enjoyed ourselves, but most likely will not return.
    • Double Ocean Front Premium Level

We paid for premium level and were treated just like any other guest. They did not provide any special amenities for us except for a lounge. You could not even make a drink, they never even had ice. The liquor selection was poor, the menus at the restaurants were very limited (the food was good), they have a hard sell for they timeshare program (beware) and the AC in the room did not keep it cool (we were told that it's as low as it goes.

The staff was great. The location was wonderful. The pool area was nice and they had an adult only pool with a swim up bar.

Good location poor food and drinks

People of guest services very pushy about having breakfast with them so they could sell you the membership low quality food and drinks

The beach is great and location just behind plaza kukulcan is excellent

Great facilites but hidde costs and no bed option!

Booked a king bed and got two doubles! They claim that is not guaranteed! So why is it an option!? Wifi is not available in common areas but 12usd a day!!!! Free for one hour in the lobby! they should not lie about this! They will look to charge you extra here and there. The facilities are great and I do recommend this place but they should not lie about these things ( wifi at a charge) or give you the proper bed you order!

Overall great property... If you aren't looking for loud nightlife.
    • Suite Ocean Front Premium Level

The night life in this bar was lacking. And the snack bar could have use a few more items. They had the same things available every night.

Great property. Maurio at the bar was especially amazing!

A great location but for the money I would stay at a better known hotel next time.

The bartenders were at times rude and even ignored us when approached. The only way to make a dinner reservation for the Italian and Mexican restaurants was to speak to a travel consultant whose main goal was to sign up guests for the vacation club program/presentation. There were four restaurants on the property but the buffets were at best average.

We were upgraded to a double room with a balcony at check in. We really enjoyed the evening shows at the Teatro Tucan, the Michael Jackson tribute and Caribbean Spectacular.

It's was excellent.!

The night show, the band, only plays for 30 mins. It would be nice if the band can play longer or had a DJ playing Latin music until 1:00 AM.

I did like the room, the food was great. The access to the beach

Great for budget travelers who like luxery.

Getting to and from the airport was a nightmare. The price was never consistent and if you call the resort and asked to be directed to the transportation department then you get a Barceló rep who helps you get booked. If you go the front desk they will tell you they don't do transportation and you have to book a taxi. It was very inconsistent and my friends and I who all arrived at different times paid different fares. I waited at the airport for over an hour for the shuttle. Next, the pools are meh. I think there are about 3 pools but they are all spread out and small. On top of that there is an MC at the main pool who is trying to get everyone involved in games and it kind of ruined the atmosphere. The AC didn't work the first night and one of the elevators were broken so 1 elevator served 8 floors . Despite all of this, we wanted economical prices so it was good for the price.

The resort in and of itself was nice. The lobby area is open with an amazing breeze and the rooms are equipped with what you need for a basic stay. The Wi-Fi is an extra charge like most resorts but that wasn't a deal breaker. The meals were good and the buffet rooms were never crowded which was a nice surprise.

Will not stay here again. It was ok for a short trip but will stay else where next time.

The buffet was not that good. The restaurant we had to make reservations at was not worth my time. They ran out of tonic water and vodka. The weather striping in the shower was just hanging off the door and the door did not shut.

The bed was comfortable that is it. We liked the mall across the street.

A few hick ups but overall a wonderful and beautiful hotel. I will be back one day.

As a non Spanish speaking person communicating was very difficult for me. Entry wall in my room had something smeared on it, shower door had soap scum build up, after the first day I had no wash cloths and I called 4 times asking for some and even went to front desk and asked again, I never got my wash cloths. No shuttle service and finding transportation was very expensive and hard so pre plan. Minor details but overall not enough to make me not stay there again.

Friendly staff, amazing views, food and beverages always available. My reservation requested a smoking room and wasn't given one but they were happy to change my room and was given a balcony room overlooking the ocean.

Ok but not the best occidental I have stayed at.
    • Double Ocean Front

The building itself it's getting old and as a result you don't feel quite as luxurious as you should for the price. Not a huge choice of food and not very good quality. The bathroom in our room was tiny and the air conditioning leaked.

The service from staff was excellent. The bed was huge and incredibly comfortable.

Browse Occidental Tucancún traveller photo gallery