Reviews of Hotel el Tapatio and Resort 5 stars

Carretera a Chapala Km 6.5 Col. El Tapatio, 45588 Guadalajara, Mexico

#123 of 166 hotels in Guadalajara

• Premier Double Room

A sign in the room asks not to use room towels for the pool. Instructions are to ask for towels for the pool at the tobacco shop,.. well... towels are at the front lobby, not at the tobacco shop, and you require an ID to borrow it. You don't carry ID with you when your are in swimming gear!

Pool hours.iver

It was a very nice experience although more cleanliness was expected in the balcony area and swimming pool. I believe it’s a beautiful hotel and with a few improvements in the mentioned areas would be of great benefit to your guests!

• Superior King Room

Hotel is an excellent value for the price. Staff is very friendly. Rooms are old; however, they have been upgraded and are very large. Will definitely stay again!

• Superior King Room

The club at the property was for an older crowd and was very outdated. The room was perfect, but the lid to the toilet was broken and the toilet would run unless you took it off and fixed it.

The view was exceptional.

• Superior King Room

Air conditioning after a few hour was blowing just air. Very hot couldn’t sleep after the air conditioner stop working

I like the room. Bed was uncomfortable.

• Superior King Room

I have stayed at El Tapatio more than a dozen times and it is always excellent. The food is good and the service is wonderful, as are the accommodations. It is always a pleasure.

• Premier Double Room

Can you imagine finally getting off the freeway, past unpleasant security guards and up the most difficult circular drive in Mexico, only to be greeted outside the lobby by two Federales policia in full battle gear with fierce weapons? That’s not my idea of a welcome. That no one would explain their, and more of them at every turn, did not add to my experience. At least I guess my car was safe. An employee explained that only Mexicans use the hotel any more which probably explains how little food and beverage service there is. Even the coffee pot in my room was faulty.

Its a storybook setting with a glamorous history. The room was spacious and lovely. The views of Guadalajara and beyond are breathtaking.

• Premier Double Room

This is hard for me as I don’t normally complain. The service in the restaurant was the worse I have encountered in a long time. There were more waiters than occupied tables so being busy was no excuse. Without going into excruciating detail, our order including a soup for myself did not arrive after 30 minutes. Our waiter told us momentarily. We never saw him again. 15 minutes later a different waiter brought our food, including my cold soup and cold burnt tortillas. I refused to accept it. The head waiter who was standing nearby never came over to apologize or even inquire. The manager who was patrolling the floor could care less. And there was only 5 occupied tables in a restaurant of 50+ tables. When my wife and friend finished their meal of medeiocre food we left without giving a tip. First time in a least 10years

The hotel is in an outstanding location. At the top of a hill. You could see for miles in all directions. The staff at reception was friendly and helpful. There was a very large police presence so we were a bit concerned. Turned out they were there for a conference and not potential problems.

• Premier Double Room

Only thing that I didn’t like was the pool and I love the water. It had moss in it and needed cleaning.

Beautiful facility. Beds are the comfiest that I stayed in out of 4 hotels during my stay. Rooms are ginormous. Shower is amazing and huge. View is great too.

• Premier Double Room

The breakfast buffet has some very tasty items but others not so much.

The room is very spacious with a comfortable bed, the hotel has a beautiful view of the city and is very quiet.

• Premier Double Room

Well this is nearly a deal breaker, what put me off was the presence of armed guards with high powered rifles and riot gear - LOTS of them, all quite surly and watchful. For example there was a stunning sunset on the evening I spent there! I went to the front of the building to take a photo and there was quite a collection of vehicles and officers. It put me off to say the least and the whole experience left me with a sense of unease. Also the reason I stayed there was because of proximity to the airport. However the fare was expensive and more than I paid to go all the way down town when I arrived. I think they have an arrangement with the drivers

The property is lovely and the rooms spacious and comfortable. It is close to the airport.

• Premier Double Room

Being moved several times do to rooms not being clean. Asking several times for more towels. The pool was not clean.

The rooms were large and I loved to shower

• Premier Double Room

Taxi policy needs tightening. They seem either to have a flat rate of MXN 200 to the airport, or hit the meter as soon as they are called, which adds. Hotel could very easily make it fairer.

Great buffet breakfast with excellent service. 360 degree views over the city

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We asked for extra towels and never received them. We booked a tour, my mom got sick and they would not refund any of the deposit $1000 pesos!! They were pretty pushy and rude about the tours! Next time I'll just take a private taxi!!

The welcome staff was great! The restaurant staff was great also. The beds are comfortable and food was good. Clean rooms! Nice view!

• Premier Double Room

I understand the architecture of the hotel but it would have been great if elevators were available. We traveled with our toddler and a stroller so getting around was not easy. having to carry her and the stroller up and down the stairs was not ideal. We also had other family staying at the hotel, they experience a lot of cockroaches in their room.

The views were amazing. The hotel was extremely nice. The room was great. Bed and pillows were very comfortable.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no elevator making it hard to move around the premises with a stroller especially to get to the restaurant for any meals. No other issues.

The view of the city was spectacular. The strict security measures to enter the premises made us feel secure.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

1. shuttle transport was agreed a night before, but shuttle transporter were broken and no alternative planned .... we had to wait for 2 taxi to go to the airport 2. no room service for 2 days

great location many employees work there already for many years

• Premier Double Room

1. The rooms had a musty smell, 2. You cannot walk to your room..... they have to shuttle you back and forth from the lobby.

The rooms are large and the bathrooms are exceptional. The views are better than any other hotel in Guadalajara.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Its a long way to go from entrance to reception then to the room. Also needs a little clean up so the rooms dont smell like old.

The view, beds, TV, room and openess

• Premier Double Room

If you do not have a car, it could be inconvenient to get off from the hotel and the taxi price is costing.

Historical place, great reputation at local community. Room is very big and the view from the room is beyond.

• Premier Double Room

Only thing to keep in mind is that you cannot walk anywhere, so you really need to have a car or take taxis. We had a car, so this was no issue, but something to keep in mind.

Cool place and amazing views on top of the hill. Definitely somewhere that would have been very grand in its day, though it has the feeling of being just a bit tired now. Was still quite nice though and great value for the price we paid. We stayed here because it was close to the airport, and it was easy to get there early in the morning.

• Premier Double Room

There is no much around besides the hotel and it is a bit asolated from the city and public transportation.

Excellent value, spacious and clean room, and close to the airport. This one was one of the reasons I picked up this hotel but I was pleasantly surprised.

• Premier Double Room

We got in late but the restaurant was still open was we decided to have a dinner. The food was cool, the rice was hard and the waiter seemed to be in a bad mood. The next morning we had breakfast there and the staff was great and the food was great.

The room was extremely comfortable!

• Premier Double Room

The lack of customer service. The lies when I called, twice, ahead of time, to request a 1st floor room because I was travelling with elderly handicapped persons. I was told they would put us on the first floor but we were given rooms that required climbing 4 flights of stairs. No help or consideration given. I was told because I booked via internet it was my fault. They offered to move us to an accessible room...for more money! The only thing that salvaged our stay was the nice bellhops/maids/waiters. I wasn't even told that they had no elevator when I called to request a room near an elevator and spoke with the manager. Also, we only had coffee packets for the coffee pot in our room for the 1st night. When I called the 2nd night for coffee the receptionist questioned if there really wasn't any. We called an hour later and were told that the manager would be up to "verify" if the made really did not leave coffee. Again called an hour later (2 hours total) and was told oh housekeeping says we're out of coffee. Incredible the lack of professionalism by employees.

The view and large rooms.

• Premier Double Room

The tiny refrigerator did not function.

Private security and gated property. Five minute drive to Tlaqueplaque. Beautiful 360° view from the top of property. Newly remodeled and spacious rooms and bathrooms. I will definitely return!

• Premier Double Room

The hotel is older, in need of remodeling which seems to be occurring but at a “mexican “pace

It is located on a hilltop with a magnificent 360 degree view and the pool is large with comfortable temperature water and even a shallow kids section.

• Premier Double Room

2-females at check-in very unfriendly. No smile no greeting. Asked for wake up call last night and phone never rang. Out-dates pool furniture. Restaurant has a decent menu but better options throughout the City.

Rooms are well maintained, clean, large and updated! Palapa bar staff nice and friendly!

• Premier King Room

The service at the pool bar is just ok. They only had one man working that area and he did his best and was so friendly and very helpful he just needed more help there.

The pool is gorgeous. A little chilly but so pretty. The view from every room is incredible and the rooms are huge. The staff is wonderful and all speak English. We ate breakfast twice and loved it. Nice mix of traditional and foreign choices.

• Premier Double Room

After we payed our bill the night before we left, a lady from the front desk called at 10 pm to ask to pay additional money because she had made a mistake. It took us until 11:15 until she figured out ( or did she really????) that after we showed her the confirmed price through Booking. Com she could not get any extra money from us. Very disappointing! Traveler, be careful and look at your statement carefully. Take a note of what you are charging to your room. Didn't like the judge dead roaches we found all around, dirty showers, rusted and clogged. I would NOT recommend this hotel until they work on it from the bottom up!

The staff at the restaurant was very nice. Alberto, the concierge, was the best staff member on that property.

• Superior King Room

The young ladies at the front desk did not smile were not friendly, no one offered to carry our luggage we had to carry it up the stairs and were very heavy and couldn't find the room, the waiter and host at the restaurant were also not friendly they seemed angry and the food was not tasty poor service and bad food and there was no coffee in the room there was a coffee maker but no coffee and there were no hand towels or washcloths just the 2 bath towels gray color no longer white need to get new towels

The room very spacious and clean the view from the hallway was amazing just kind of outdated but comfortable

• Premier Double Room

Service is not good at all. We stayed 4 nights (family with 2 kids) and constantly had to run after towels; at arrival it took us 3 phone calls and 3 hours waiting for towels; the other nights they usually miscalculated the amount of towels to replace and we constantly had to share towels. Parties are apparently allowed in the rooms ... which are located far away from the reception! The night before traveling back, a party took place in the room besides ours. This lasted till 5am with loud music and singing! After several phone calls to the reception a guard showed up at 2am to request the people at the party to keep it quiet. This lasted for 30 minutes, and then the party went on till 5am. No further actions/follow-up from the hotel staff. Hotel is located relatively far away from the city center (30 minutes taxi ride).

• Premier Double Room

Not many people there to help. One reception lady and a huge line. It took forever to get our room. We walked a long way and the key didn't work, the phone didn't either. Many other little issues.

• Premier Double Room

The lock on the patio glass doors was hard to close, might need to be replaced soon.

Friendly staff, and very comfortable room. Loved the waterfall shower, as well as the extra pillows on the bed! Super comfy.

• Premier Double Room

There was small roaches in the first room on the night stand and dead under the bed. Second room only one roach but the size of a wasp. Second night no towels in the room. The shower doors would not seal which wet the floor. Sink leaked as well on to the floor.

The rooms were modern.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was over all pretty great and we'll be going back. The only thing I didn't like was that they only gave the little coffee packs once during our stay (2 nights) so I had to go out to get coffee rather than make it in the room. Not bad at all!

The place was great for the kiddos. Away from the town, lots of green spaces and they loved the pool. Stayed in the pool all day!

• Premier Double Room

This hotel claims to be "Five Stars": untrue. I have no idea why they are allowed or who rated them; maybe the got their Five Stars in the 70's. Reception was bad, Food was bad in variety and quality, My room, that was recentle refurbished was not clean: you could see the dust layer ialmost everywhere. The walls were thin to the extent that you could hear your neighbors TV better than yours. To top it off: the hotel is being re-modeled, it represents a risk to small children, it is noisy as they have workers all they. Service is bad: they cñaimed to have a "cradle" for my baby and they could provide it: it never arrived.

The lication is quite convenient if you are traveling through GDL International airport. there is plenty of parking space., The gardens are nice and the pool, despite old, provided a good experience.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The service needs a manager from frontdesk to diningroom.

No walking to anything. No problem since we had a car. Beautiful property Rooms as spacious as ever encountered, and getting facelifts. nice pool.

Front desk, and waiters

Loved the location, easy access to and from airport, on a hill great views of town, Lovely breakfast buffet, nice pool. Older property that is being renovated. Very spacious rooms and great beds. Untrained front desk, no bell boy, difficult to find certain rooms, no maps given by front desk. Great wifi, but no wifi password listed in room, and too complicated to understand the spanish via the phone to front desk. Great kitchen and food, very iffy waiters.

• Superior King Room

The hotel was run down. Not much worked. toilet plugged up all night, shower did not drain, air conditioner leaked water all over my clothes on the closet shelf, railing on the deck was rotted away, the restaurant night waiter as rude and surly when we complained that the ceviche was WARM and the hamburger that was supposed to be medium rare was well done. He actually brought out a saucer and frozen hamburger pattie that was very thin and banged it against the plate and informed me that they could not cook it medium rare because first they had tho thaw it in the microwave and by that time it was almost cooked!!! We would not eat in the restaurant again so we Ubered at some expense to great gourmet restaurants in the center of Guadalajara. We had stayed here 30 years ago and it was great. We were told it was bought by Radisson starting next month. It is still showing as a 5 star but even some of the staff says they should take off 2 of the stars at least.

the reception ladies and bellmen were nice and tried their best to be helpful. the view is magnificent from certain places and certain rooms

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Premier Double Room

My reservation was not ready and they never called me for my second room. They charged me for not cancelling or coming in to the hotel. I was in the second room that I've rented in the hotel!

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Standard King Room

Air conditioner was not working the tub would get clogged while showering and turn into a bath the beds were the most uncomfortable things I have ever slept on might as well have been sleeping on the floor NO wifi in the rooms at all there are very few places in the hotel you can actually connect to wifi the front desk staff said it's because iphones don't work there.

Property is beautiful and majority of the staff was very nice, rooms are big, the view is nice and the food at the breakfast buffet was amazing

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms may need modernising but great value for the price.

Large comfortable room. Great location with lovely views. Massive pool which was nicely warmed.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Premier Double Room

The staff was friendly and helpful. The five star Hotel Tapatio had all the services and amenities including a restaurant, pool, fitness center,and a view of all of Guadalajara. Bonus: free shuttle to the airport.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Premier King Room

I requested flowers in may room but when I came to my room there was no flowers, I called reception and asked what happened to my request and I was tolled they where going to be delivered but they never came.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Wish there were more choices for food... there is only one restaurant. Our room facing north had loud jake braking from the trucks on the highway below.

The large pool was great to swim in, although I think it was heated a bit too much. Love the view overlooking the city at night.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were really hard, pillows were horrible, carpets were stained, shower handle fell off, lights didn't work, ac didn't work, you could hear kids scream and running all night. The landscape was really ugly , there was bunch of trash outside and the wood was damaged in our balcony also had a huge bee or wasp nest. The restaurant had tortilla soup which was extremely salty let the waiter know he took it back and just brought another bowl with the same salty soup. Also when we arrived past our checkin in time frame our room was not ready and they just put us in another room 3 flights of stairs . I was so disappointed as I wanted to treat my parents to something nice, but ended up with them sleeping OUTSIDE! !! and not actually sleeping because Iof all the noise.

The pool was beautiful and the restaurante los laureles steaks were good.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• Premier King Room

The rooms are old. They don't have power outlets so I had to unplug something from the bathroom and charge my cellphone there. All across the room. And furniture seems old and noisy everytime you move. I paid so much and I didn't include a single meal. I booked a king size bed instead they gave me a double bed room. (that means two beds separately). I lost my gopro asked for the service to return and they say they found nothing (although I'm not sure if I left it at the room). I expected a view to the city from the room but they gave me one from the first floor and had to walk to the pool to see the city. Summary: not coming again.

The pool water was warm and good all day everyday. Staff were good with us. Great city view from up the hill. The hotel is good and beautiful and the pool huge and wide with a bar. I went in December so it was cold I didn't want to get in, must travel in summer.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

• Standard King Room

We live in Nayarit and travel extensively throughout Mexico. This property is extremely dilapidated. Gave my 2yr old son a bath and the water came up through the drain In the bathroom and flooded everything, smelling of sewage. Tiles and carpet are old and worn with nasty stains. Paint is peeling and mold is present. Beds are like rocks. The sheets are so old for the bed you can see the mattress stains through them. We stay in Guadalajara 4x month and for the same price there a tons more favorable options.

Great panoramic views

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Premier Double Room

The AC was malfunctioning so it was very humid.. They let us use a portable fan which helped a lot.

Courteous staff, everything we asked for was expedited

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Standard King Room

The service was not good, I requested a wake up call, and was never received, I also requested a bellboy to help me with my suitcase, and never got help, I had to walk in the darkness to the reception desk, no signs indicating where it was, finally was able to find it. Apparently the bellboy was sent to take some people to the airport, what happened to the shuttle or taxi service???? Not very helpful to the other guests

I liked the location, nice view

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

This was a horrible experience. We were given a room near a dump. I had to pay an additional $2,900 pesos for what they called a recently renovated room. They said that the pictures of the rooms that you advertise belong to the renovated hotel section. I would really like to speak with someone about this, this is a rip off.

the view.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Premier King Room

Location too far from city center, but close to the airport. Room not available at check-in and room type not as promised on booking.com

Room space and resort amenities.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Standard King Room

The desserts in the resturante need to make with grade A ingredients!!! And when serving a drink must have garniches and a doily to put on table!!! Not just a drink in a glass!!!!

I liked the location, away from the hustle and bustle of the noise and traffic of Guadalajara!!!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Standard King Room

I'm very disappointed with this place. The worst is the reception. They are extremely inefficient. They gave me a room with a broken window. There were a lot of mosquitos and it took them a couple of hours to change me to another room. They lie to you so you stop calling the reception. The hotel is on a hill and there is no transportation because their shuttle is never available. They call for a taxi and the rates are very expensive. I almost missed my plane. It is close to the airport but don't stay in this place. At the end, it will cost you more. The food in their restaurant is really bad. They served me a seafood cocktail hot! And there isn't another place to eat. My stay in this place was a nightmare!

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Premier Double Room

You could still see some unpainted walls. Internal decoration and style are very good; but tons of work are still needed to get to perfection.

I seems that an old property that ran out of business for some time and only now it started to fall on new management. Awesome style. Perfect it you rent a car and want to be near the airport and near the city with the hectic traffic. I would recommend it more for a couple than for a convention.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Carpet was very dirty. Toilet seat was broken. Back sliding door locking mechanism was broken and didn't lock. Room needs lots of updating.

Outdoor grounds are beautiful. Breakfast buffet was delicious. Beautiful old buildings.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

It is in a very nice location with a great view of the city ,especially at night. The room was very clean and comfortable. The garden outside was very beautiful and green. I loved the food, a great buffet for breakfast hours. I will be booking this place on my next trip !

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

External paint is still necessary. Air condition system it's very very old, noisy and sometimes doesn't work that well. Wifi doesn't work well in some rooms.

If you are looking for a rustic style hotel, this might be the one. But you get the feeling that it used to be a great hotel, it went down the hall, and now they are renovating the place.

• Superior King Room

Too much government and police surrounding the hotel. I felt like a prisoner

• Premier Double Room

The desk people need more education with the customers this. Service is not the same before usetobe better

• Superior King Room

They had a A/C the was to old and it was very hot so we could not sleep

The view the room was clean

Pool was dirty

Everything else

• Premier Double Room

The air conditioning was not working properly.

The room was fairly big.

• Premier Double Room

El personal super amable/ friendly staff

• Premier Double Room

Room and balcony dilapidated. Air conditioning loud and didntcool well

The shower was awesome. Breakfast superb.

• Premier Double Room

wish I could have stayed longer

large, nicely decorated rooms and beautiful location

• Superior King Room

I don't like the parking I'll like to be under roof

The pool the size of my room and the nice city view

• Premier Double Room

The inconvenience to carry our bags long distance to/from our room

The amenities, pool area, restaurants

• Premier Double Room

WiFi didn’t work well. We looked for a quiet bar to have a drink and were sent (by staff) to a bar that was closed.

It was excellent

Beautiful, clean we loved it

Poor Customer Service from the front desk

• Premier Double Room

Staff not the best, they gave me a room with people inside

• Premier Double Room

Very nice view of the city from patio, friendly staff and very happy environment

• Premier Double Room

Somebody take my wife neck chain from her cosmetic box.

Gardens

• Premier Double Room

It is a great place. The view

Browse Hotel el Tapatio and Resort traveller photo gallery