Reviews of Hotel Fontan Reforma 4 stars

Paseo de la Reforma Numero 24 Colonia Centro, 06040 Mexico City, Mexico

#228 of 329 hotels in Mexico City

Fantastic hotel

The WiFi was down in the rooms which caused me some trouble as I wanted to do some work in my room, luckily the lobby/bar area had wifi. This was presumably a one off occurrence though

The rooftop restaurant had some beautiful views and all of the staff throughout the building were extremely friendly and welcoming, particularly the guy in the bar. I don't really speak any Spanish and this didn't seem to be much of an issue here. Thoroughly recommend!

Good Stay in México City
    • King Double Room

The beedroom wasn't what I expected because I can even hear People from the other room talking. The carpet in the room was in bad condiciones. The gim is closed so they shouldn't even offer this.

Restaurante View was Amazing and even good food variaty.the hotel itself is a good place to stay if you want to have a central location to walk to the diferent monumentuns and historical places

not a place to visit again

the shower did not work well not enough water to take a shower, pretty old carpets and look dirty, fourniture in a bad conditions everything in the room had a bad aspect.

it was just close to the place where I had me meetings.

It was decent!

Hi, When I booked my room. I was expecting a king bed, instead I got 2 doubles. I checked in at 1am, and had to get up early to leave. So I didn't feel like going downstairs to change the room. Also, they put me right next to the elevators and so come 6am, ding! ding! I didn't have to get up for another couple of hours. Maybe if someone is checking in so late, don't put them right next to the elevators. Also, give them the room they made the booking for. Thanks!

Modern, central located hotel

The walls are very thin so you can hear everything in the next room. (We heard during 2 hours an alarm clock at 3:00 AM !!)

Very central located Hotel, it's 15 min walking distance to the Zocalo thought the pedestrian street. Spacious and confortable room The breakfast room has a fantastic view and the breakfast is quite good !

Its ok for a quick stay

No running water from 12-4am every night i stayed for 6 nights Check in is at 3pm You can hear the neighbors conversations Woken up early for room cleaning

Its very close to main attractions in the city and close to the metro

Location was near to my business meetings

Smelly hotel Old building and old furniture Breakfast was awful, all Mexican street food style. the egg station was the only eatable food. TV channels are all in Spanish and no chance for non Spanish speaking people. Cost was different than what we booked for because booking.com is converting currency based on the banks announced rate (almost 18 pesos/1 dollar) while the hotel convert at the eat with of 17 only.

Location was near to my business meetings

Nice hotel, great staff, but bad room location

The hotel is actually quite nice, unless you get stuck in one of the rooms by the giant flashing sign. The really need to provide heavier curtains to block the light or something like that

Staf is great

Close to the subway.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Wi-Fi not very strong in our room compared to the common areas.

Close to the subway. Good food around to choose from. Nice park close by and Juarez ave for shopping

Good for a quick stay.
    • King Double Room

The rooms definitely didn’t have the nice welcoming vibe the lobby had - felt a bit old and shabby, falling apart in some places.

Reception and hotel lobby were really nice, cool deco and a nice little cafe to hang out in. Breakfast was also fantastic, good choice of food and an amazing view from the 10th floor!

Location, clean room, comfortable bed.

No water available after 1 a.m. in sink, shower, or toilet....may have been working on the plumbing but we didn't receive advance notice. Water didn't come back on until about 6 a.m. the next day. Food in restaurant (ribeye) was not that great. Didn't have enough money at the lobby desk to exchange American cash for Pesos.

Location, clean room, comfortable bed.

Absolutely nothing!

This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a hotel! Most important problem: IT IS FREAKING NOISY! The first two nights i couldn’t sleep at all because of the noise from street. I thought it might b jetlag that i am more sensitive but no there was a loud jack hammer working till 4am in the street as if it was in my room. I asked to change my room the third day and i got another one in the 5th floor and on the other side. The construction noise was not there but facing yhe main street with heavy traffic 24 hrs was still a problem. Beside the noise from outside, you can hear EVERYTHING from the corridors and neighbor rooms(including baby cry!!), as if this is not enough, if you dont have the do not disturb sign hanging over night, the cleaning lady will wake you up between 8 and 8:30 to see if u want cleaning!!! My first room was stinking of toilet and the shower was soooo weak, thankfully these were ok in the second room! But everything has a problem, the iron is broken the ironing board is disgusting the heater doesn’t work (maybe it was off for the season but one night it was a bit chilly and i wanted to have it on briefly). The staff are ok but some are a bit too friendly that is almost inappropriate ( i dont add reception people on FB and i dont kiss the restaurant attendant on the cheek to say good morning!!) The whole stay was nothing but inconvenience and stressful and i am so happy to leave..

Absolutely nothing!!

What I love most was the location, and the service, everyone...

I was in the 6th floor, and the 7.4 earthquake hit us, I was super nevous

What I love most was the location, and the service, everyone was super educated and kind. The room was very nice for the price, and it was always cleAn

A comfortable place to stay if you can put up with the noise from the AC.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The Air Conditioner was very noisy, but the window was very small and let in sewerage smells from the street so we had to have the AC on while in the room.

The location was ideal for what we wanted to see and do in Mexico City. Beds were comfortable and the shower was the best we had in Central America.

Amazing value for the money, wonderful stay

We booked a standard room and were pretty underwhelmed with how simple the room was. The bedding and decor were very simple and the bathroom needed updating. However, we learned most of the floors were updated and construction was underway on the lower floors. I would definitely stay again in a deluxe updated room.

Customer service was exceptional from check in to check out. Very friendly, available and helpful staff throughout the hotel, service was that of a five star hotel. We unfortunately experienced an earthquake while we were there and were so pleased with how prepared the hotel staff was in keeping everyone calm and evacuated us. We are so grateful, thank you for everything! Breakfast was wonderful, wifi strength was awesome, hotel location was perfect and very walkable to attractions in Reforma/Central Historic district.

The hall way noise is extreme,

The hall way noise is extreme, People next to my room were arguing fighting It was too loud. The elevator constantky makes noise it wss botgering me. Many staff at concierge dont soeak any English except one lady who was very nice.

Bad experience. You get noise from everywhere in your room. Not clean. You won’t rest.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The a/c unit original room 1909 didn’t worked. Called maintenance and came “to fixed” he said it needed to be reseted and he did and leaved working as a fan only. I told him it wasn’t workin and he said “YES” it is working. You need to give time. (I am a general contractor). Also the room wasn’t clean. It has a lot of women’s hair in the bed and restroom. This room was in front of elevator were everyone talks and argue 24/7 and the room has no insulation so you can hear all the noise like is inside in your room. I asked for a change of room far from elevator and with a/c unit working. They kindly did but I needed to packed everything back and bringer back to the lobby. New room was on floor 8 witch is were I supposed to be since a requested executive business travel and far from elevator. The last room on the floor actually which at first was perfect. A/c working. Not clean as the other One “women’s hair in restroom, toilet and shower. This room was in front of a building were helicopters landed every 5-10 minutes and off course!!! The noise is extreme since they don’t have insulation-sound proof in the rooms. And to tap it all... Neighbors next door were discussing and fighting every day at night and very early in the morning 5am like there were killing there selfs. I called security and they came 5 min later, knock their door and ask them to “keep it down” with they did for 2 minutes and started arguing again and slapping doors like crazy. Definitely not a good experience. Ohhh!! Beds aren’t comfortable at all. Like sleeping on the floor. Should take more pictures. Take a look on the time on my screenshots. Not even a minute that ocasión. One Helicopers after another they are literally making a line in the air lol

The pictures on the web site.

Excellent location . Friendiness and helpfulness staf

interior wall of the building need paint or repaired

Your can feel the staff in this hotel willing to do their best to give customers good service s. Excellent location .

Great value. Good location. Would happily return.

Surrounding area under construction. Torn up sidewalks, dust. Slow, slow elevators.

Walking distance to old centre of town. Good facilities and very kind helpful staff. Huevos rancheros. I was upgraded at no cost, very nice.

Great location for exploring the historic quarter.
    • Executive King Room

There was no mini bar in the room, but the staff were helpful and put my medication in a communal fridge. The water in the room went for several hours, which I feel we should have been informed about

Great location for exploring the historic quarter.

Mix experience

Probably one or two staff members spoke English ... the booking page suggested you speak my language.... I couldn’t dine on the hotel as no one in the serving staff could explain what it was they are serving

Clean hotel

The location is good to get to the turist areas you just...

The location is good to get to the turist areas you just have to walk a couple of blocks. The installation was good, is modern and they do keep it clean. The room was a little small but

great location

wifi doesn't work on the 5th floor cheap rooms on the 5th floor need renovating badly gym didn't work taxi service is very very expensive compared to Uber or Cabify

Bar in the reception big range - from expensive, nice rooms to cheap, budget rooms great location

Great value, good location
    • King Double Room

They are currently doing construction in the lobby and surrounding area of the building so that was a inconvenience at times mainly for when you tried to call an Uber and the street was closed

The staff is nice and cared about your enjoyment of their facilities. The breakfast was pretty good. It encompassed fruits, vegetables, rice, different meats, omelettes, pancakes, etc. I thought the breakfast was great. Overall it was a great value for the price

Will not return here

On our arrival we found out our rooms were sold out. Very bad! We had to call Booking. Almost was a problem with a parking..

Location is very good, even was noisy.

Completely Unsatisfied!!! Its a warning!

Checking in person was rude and not very easy to talk to or get information from. The room was awefully dirty, smelly and not very safe nor appealing.

The location was the only part I enjoyed from my staying at Fontan hote.

Good place, average hotel
    • Deluxe Double Room

Outside construction of new building. In the main entrance smell of toilettes. And it was so noisy I used earplugs.

It’s great to be so close to the historical center. Hotel is secure. Design was well thought.

Modern 4 star, fancy design, some weaknesses

3 elevators insufficient, some teething problems/issues with staff, all meeting rooms underground without daylight

Modern design, good bed, good TV

Very convenient

I was not able to access wifi in my room - only in the lobby. I do however understand that there had been an earthquake just before my visit, and that they were busy with some renovations that might have affected the wifi.

I liked the location - it is quite easy to walk or grab a bus, metro or taxi to just about everything. The food at the restaurant was excellent.

Second time here but last one.
    • King Double Room

WiFi didn’t work. The building should be open after earthquake cause looks very dangerous. Due to that, they are rebuilding, reconstructing and working day and night. I didn’t sleep two nights due to the noise of workers. So they gave me a standard-poor room (without any discount). In this one the toilet was dirty, the moquette smelly, no window and no plug in close to bed. Even if I explained all those problems, they didn’t neither apologize but asked me to paid 3 breakfast more. Basically....They simply should stay close until they set on normal condition the structure.

Second time here but last one.. terrible experience and staff didn’t help at all. Breakfast on weekend was better than usual but crowded at every time. Bed quite comfortable and plug-in close to bed (only in abitacion remodelada)

The location was good and there were a lot of services...

Under my booking it was claimed that there was wifi throughout the hotel. There wasn't in my room. I was offered an upgrade to a room with wifi for 400 pesos but felt that this was unreasonable since I had already paid for a room with wifi. There was wifi in the lobby area. The gym was closed during my stay. There were some building works next to the hotel, with a particularly bad smell at certain times of day but this wasn't the fault of the hotel. Make sure to request a room away from these works.

The location was good and there were a lot of services nearby. Some of the staff were very friendly and accommodating. While English wasn't widely spoken the staff were patient in waiting for me to explain my requests as best I could. There were plenty of staff on site too.

Hotel was advertised as renovated, however up arrival only...

Hotel was advertised as renovated, however up arrival only some levels had been completed. We were on an old floor and the high price wasn't justifiabl for the quality. Staff were friendly and it would have been a great experience had we been in a new room.

See what didn't you like section.

The walls are paper thin one neighbor left his TV on all night so when the sound would break for silence I could hear my other neighbor snoring. It was like a bad symphony. The pillows were awful, small and smelled like they'd been in a smoker's room. The bathroom soap smells like chocolate...look I like to eat chocolate but I don't like to smell like it. Overall the rooms are old and need to be updated.

The staff is wonderful and extremely helpful. Breakfast Buffet had a nice assortment of fruits, juices and omelet maker all at a pretty decent price.

The staff was very friendly, even when helping us decide...

Hmmm everything went so well, there was nothing i didn't like.

The staff was very friendly, even when helping us decide where to eat! Good location, clean rooms and good price. Can't beat it.

Perfect location but it is not enough
    • Deluxe Double Room

It seemed a budget hotel with no specific atmosphere. The bottle of drinking water should be a standard.

Location was perfect, near metro station, historical centre. Unfortunatelly the concept of the hotel is not clear, it is focused mostly on domestic guests, not very convenient for the foreigners.

• King Double Room

I got a room in the back not the remodel floor it didn't have a view.i was hoping for a room like the ones in the add but it was good cus they let me in before check in

Great hosts. Very good location alot of places to see and visit withing walking distance. Couldn't get the hotel water to work and they sent someone to check it right away.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

I will use again

Hygh hygiene,big comfortable rooms,excellent bathrooma, nice furniture and design,helpfull and gently staff, nice loby,excellent cervise,excellent breakfast,super isolation quiet rooms,tv,many additional services,perfect location near historical centre,modern,excellent condumatives.

Location is great . Walking distance to AV. Juarez and Madero that leads you straight to the main Zocalo square. Hotel on main Reforma avenue 2min from metro. Beds are very comfortable an buffet breakfast is fantastic.

DO NOT STAY HERE.
    • King Double Room

I hated this hotel. IT is awful. Do not stay here. The staff are not very friendly. They will charge you if you arrive early, but they will not explain what the extra charge is for. YOU CAN HEAR THE LIFT/ELEVATOR GOING UP AND DOWN FROM YOUR BEDROOM! THEY MAKE A NOISE AS THEY TRAVEL PAST EVERY FLOOR. IT IS A BIG HOTEL SO THEY ARE CONSTANTLY IN USE. IT KEPT ME AWAKE AT NIGHT/THE MORNING. I regret staying here, stay somewhere else.

The location is good.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Good price, good exterior, ok if you just want a place to sleep.

The fact that furniture is so outdated

Location Is Good, room is really old, They are renovating floor by floor so soon should be an Awesome value. Furniture, carpet, etc was very old.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

The staff is wonderful and our stay was well worth it.

Booking.com was supposed to get back to me in connection with a follow-up from the hotel before we left for our trip. I received an e-mail from them three days after we arrived as a result we did have a bit of an issue, which we resolved.

The staff is wonderful and our stay was well worth it.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Best shower in all of Mexico!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The doors on the rooms are made of extremely thin wood - so if they are full of noisy guests it might be awful - that's it though, it's kind of a shocking deficiency considering how well everything else works.

The shower is the best in all of Mexico and the beds are very comfortable.The location is nice for walking around.Photos of the property on Booking are accurate.

The staff service is excellent!
    • Deluxe Double Room

The staff service is excellent! I fell on my way back to the hotel, and once I arrived I called to ask for some alcohol to clean up, they sent a staff member with a first aid kit and checked on me all trough my stay. They are the best! And location is prime!!!

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

excellent location but...
    • King Double Room

Hotel is in great location for a price it is still a good deal however there is a major problem when you book your room they will show you photo of a renovated rooms to choose from on arrival they will tell you that these renovated rooms cost more...totally unfair approach by booking.com....you have to accept lower floors not renovated my room was still quite ok but I find it deplorable how they do the publicity here you do not get what you desired as per photos of hotel room

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

The location is absolutely great, walking distance to both...
    • King Double Room

The location is absolutely great, walking distance to both the cathedral and the anthropology museum (20 minutes each), and right beside the airport shuttle bus stop.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

First stay at Hotel Fontan
    • King Double Room

Did not appear to be well insulated. Noise traveled between rooms and from outside. The room temperature was cool, with only one thin blanket on the bed.

Excellent location for exploring the city and historical district. Outstanding buffet breakfast!

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

TERRIBLE HOTEL EVER!!!!!
    • Deluxe Double Room

It was AWFUL experience EVER. Especially the cleanliness. They never change the bed sheet, never change towels, never clean up the coffee pot, never clean up the floor, and so on. They didn't clean up everything. Just organize beds and that's it! Pillows are smelly so bad, sheets are super dirty, and dusts are on the floor during staying. Also they lost my reservation as well. You should double check when you make a reservation. If you can't speak Spanish, it would be hard to communicate with them. Most of the staffs can't speak English. Only some of them can speak a little English, but they just watched and didn't help. This hotel isn't properly soundproofed, so I can hear everything that goes on next door and the isle. It was terrible terrible terrible!!! This hotel gave me a really bad memory and emotion about Mexico city. Thank you very much for destroying my vibe.

NOTHING. NADA

Good location, comfy spaces, not satisfying service.

Getting an extension cable, there was only one electric plug w/two outlets in a double room, was difficult. I received a hand-made extension cable I had to use carefully because I doubted it was 100% safe. It was treated like the Holy Grail by the hotel's employees, and my usage of it recorded on every place possible. Amso, they wanted to be sure of its returned. I doubt there are many of those available in the hotel. Also, I had to be at the airport very early in the morning, the bill was paid ahead of time, but leaving the access cards in the room was not acceptable for them. I had to wait to be cleared out by them the morning I was leaving, and it wasn't an speedy process.

Excellent location, reasonable price.

Friendly people (staff)

I didn't know I needed 2 ID's one per room when I reserved the room by my self. It wasinconviniant because my family was busy and tired and I had to go get someone.

Friendly people (staff)

Gran hotel Fontan
    • King Double Room

The room they pictured in the adds are different than what I received . But confortable.

The rooms are very comfortable and friendly staff, great location

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

Adequate lodging a night before a flight.
    • King Double Room

Certain aspects (architectural, window treatments, hallways, ecc.) of the hotel haven't been updated since the '70s. The front door leads out into a rather busy side street congested with a taxi stand.

The location on Reforma is nearly centrally located to many sites of interest. It's a good hotel for a night before the airport. Desk staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Good location and spacious room with a nice bathroom
    • Deluxe Double Room

The beds were rock hard. Very few of the staff spoke any English and we had a lot of trouble with our housekeeping guy hassling us while we were still in bed. Despite telling him we didn't speak Spanish, he'd stand there and talk at us, then keep coming back at 10 minute intervals and hassling us. One day he actually came in and just started cleaning while we were still in the room and I was on a private phone call. This was super unprofessional and I won't stay there again from this experience.

Good location and spacious room with a nice bathroom

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Nice position to get everywhere
    • Deluxe Double Room

Wifi doesn't work. Room 2119 is terrible due to the position close to elevator and the terrace. I heard all the noise of groups in the close terrace and from the elevator every time.

Location, close to metro hidalgo, nice terrace, excellent breakfast even if the room is little compared to the amount of clients.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

bad experience

Took forever to check in, room cleaning didn't come until 4 am, and the doors and walls are so thin that you can hear what everyone is saying. i wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Very good place in Reforma
    • King Double Room

Our room was small, too tight, with no minibar, the A/C did not work properly and it was noisy. It wasn't very clean either and the bed was not very comfortable and neither the pillows.

The location is great and so is the building.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

Bad bad bad place
    • Deluxe Double Room

Customer service was terrible the employees at the hotel have no idea what customer service is. Poor attitude at the front desk. They lost my daughters blanket and waiter at the restaurant spilled a cup of hot coffe on my new shirt did not even apologize or offer to dry clean it.

Location was great!

Location was great!!

Perfect location.

Perfect location.

The breakfast was good personal friendly
    • King Double Room

The rooms old and beds not comfortable

The breakfast was good personal friendly

Excellent location, but hotel needs an update

Room seems to be old and it smell old...

Location. Its closed to everywhere.

more money to stay in the upgraded rooms that are advertised

wrongly advertised room

comfy bed

The city.

The staff at the front desk.They were rude.

The city.the culture.

Great location and friendly, helpful staff.

Onsite construction and cleanliness

Great location and friendly, helpful staff. The renovated rooms are great.

Bed was a bit stiff, but location was great and hotel is...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Bed was a bit stiff, but location was great and hotel is very clean.

Just enough.

Repair noise and blackout at first night. No gym nor pool.

Breakfast menu.

location, breakfast

noise, cleaning staff knock your door in the morning

location, breakfast

La vista al exterior

Check in a las 3 pm

La vista al exterior

Great stay

Staff was super friendly and helpful, and the room was very comfortable

Very good brackfast, location and staff friendship

Towels in restroom

Location and staff friendship

Nice place
    • King Double Room

Awesome breakfast, Excellent staff people, good location!

Perfect for couples
    • King Double Room

It was loud but because of our neighbors

The location is perfect for a walk in the city center

Convenient to historical center

Hardest mattress ever. Faint but constant smell of sewer gas

Convenient to historical center

Location was great

Location was great

Comfortable and clean hotel

Bed was comfortable, and hotel has hot water, Air conditioner and good location near to the zocalo.

Excelente Ubicacion / Mal olor en el edificio
    • Deluxe Double Room

Bad smell in the building and bedroom.

Location and breakfast