Reviews of JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa 5 stars

Boulevard Kukulkan KM 14.5 Lote 40-A Hotel Zone, 77500 Cancún, Mexico

#9 of 161 hotels in Cancún

6.2

Everything was perfect.

It was honestly the best service I have ever experienced whether it was restaurants, check-in, bar or cleaning services. The Italian restaurant on the property is brilliant and very reasonably priced.

• Room with Ocean View

Very hard to find a sheltered spot around the pool as other guests had towels on deck chairs from 7.30am

Staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable and couldn't do more for you

• Room with Ocean View

-you have to pay or be part of a club (a member) to access the sauna and baths. -there wasn’t much of a night life -limited dining options: only two restaurant in the JW property and a few more in the regular Marriott. -the property is in the hotel zone however you might want to take a cab to reach the shopping center and the club/restaurant zone

-We had an ocean view room (fa side view) and it was gorgeous. We stayed six nights and had room service twice everyday which we were very happy about. -There isn’t much life around at night. I advise you to visit the cocobongo area where you can get drinks, dance and have a nice dinner - we loved the pools but hated the fact that we could not access the diving pool unless we paid for it -there is a pool in the fitness area, USE IT! -the hotel is steps away from the beach -there is a travel agency within the hotel that can book your activities a day before the actual activity. Prices are the same to the ones you’ll find online. -pizza at the convenience store

• Room with Ocean View

some construction noise every morning.

THE ROOMS ARE SPARKLY CLEAN, and the bed is very comfortable. the ocean views are also really beautiful. We enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

• Room with Ocean View

The hotel was in the midst of remodeling and on our wing as well as others there was a lot of noise created by workmen.

Beautiful view from rooms, clean property and excellent food at the hotel restaurants.

Hotel was still performing renovations after the advertised completion date.

Staff were exceptionally friendly and were always willing to help. Very clean facilities with good beaches. A variety of restaurants to eat from, including take-outs. Well equipped gym and spa with great views of the Caribbean and the bay.

Nothing..all great!

Nice property, very, very nice staff. They all speak English (we do speak Spanish as well) and are eager to be of service. We liked the bed very much, soft, but bot too soft with nice pillows. A great experience that we will repeat soon!

• Double Room with Ocean View

Hotel underwent renovations, business center was closed so you had to go to CasaMagna whenever you needed to print unless it's your boarding pass. Printer for boarding passes are everywhere to find. A bit complicated to log into free Wifi.

Everything about the stay, top service, top rooms. A very pleasant stay which I would recommend to everyone who is thinking of coming to Cancun.

• Room with Ocean View

The airport shuttle service did not turn up. When checked with the receptionist, the driver arrived and left the airport prior to my flight arrival even though I have given them detailed information regarding my flight.

All the staff are friendly and helpful. The steam room at the spa is really good as it is infused with a minty scent.

• Room with Ocean View

There was really nothing that we did not like. Other than some construction noise because they were remodeling the other half of the hotel; the noise was minor, and running out of toilet paper couple times- but nothing to speak of. I cannot say enough about how accommodating the hotel staff was- extremely kind and attentive.

Property is beautiful. Staff is extremely accommodating- they anticipate your needs. The gym and spa are spectacular. Breakfast is more than you could even imagine. Several pools choose from, the lounge chairs are extremely comfortable and the property is just serene. The hotel staff was in your room a few times a day just to tidy up but it was not distracting whatsoever.

• Room with Ocean View

Was way overcharged for a basic double oceanfront guest room by Booking.com! Hotel front desk staff was rude to my husband as we were trying to find coffee before a very early international flight and indifferent to our request for a working coffee maker in the room! Coffee shop wasn't open yet, so we had a rough start to a long day of travel.

Beachfront area design was gorgeous - wanted to stay longer! Really enjoyed the superb layout of the pools, bridges, pathways, water fountains, and landscaping. The inside of the hotel is nice, but feels like a mall in places, leave a breadcrumb trail!

• Room with Ocean View

Hotel was under renovations which was not mentioned when booking. Renovations started everyday around 8am which woke us every morning. If we knew that renovations were taking place we would of stayed elsewhere.

Breakfast buffet was amazing

• Room with Ocean View

The food at the Thai restaurant (shared with the Marriot hotel) was not at the expected level.

5* hotel with all expected amenities. Great service! All staff were very friendly and helpful. We got upgraded to upper floor. Comfortable Room with a nice view on upper floors. Great breakfast buffet.

• Room with Ocean View

Nothing - the hotel was great!

Beautiful hotel, lovely and friendly staff, immaculate grounds and pools, beach is beautiful. Everyone we came in contact with was friendly and accomodating. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious.

• Room with Ocean View

I honestly can't think of anything I didn't like.

I stayed at the JW Marriott one night, but wished I could have stayed longer. I loved my stay - the hotel was fabulous! The service was top-notch. Every single employee I came across was extremely friendly - the waiters even made it a point to look up my name. The hotel is elegant and beautiful and the food was excellent. I especially loved the beautiful dining room where the breakfast buffet was held. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Room with Ocean View

Everything was awesome after we got to the hotel lobby! Maybe a shutlle from ferry to isla mujeres will be great, we came from there and managed with public transportation that dropped us at the hotel front which left us a long walk with our luggage without no one noticed from the hotel and when we passed the parking guard he didn't offered any help so we just went up the hill by ourselves to the lobby, a bit dark walking

Great hotel great location, very good breakfast, we came for only one night before flight and wished that we could stay longer We've been upgraded to ocean view in check in and the hotel is really impressive great breakfast hours for early flights and an amazing pool with great working hour for late check in

• Room with Ocean View

Room had bed bugs, woke up with horrible rash on my leg, it was gross and became painful, could badly affect next leg of trip where I have an important meeting, told front desk and they eventually changed the sheets many hours after my complaint.. I was received to check out

Pool was nice and staff around the pool were friendly

• Room with Ocean View

Not a lot of activities in the resort

Really clean rooms. The staff is really friendly and always here to help. Good food in the different restaurants and really nice swimming pools with one of them reserved for adults only so really quiet

• Room with Ocean View

The JW Marriott was just another resort among stretch of hotels in Cancun. However, the property is nicely maintained, close to aquaworld for water activities, there is a learners scuba dive pool on site, and the staff are all so friendly and wonderful. I think the service makes a bog difference to your vacation. Also like the evening turndown service. Also enjoyed the sea turtle release program they have.

Pools were way too warm and not refreshing at all. Like swimming in hot a bath

Really good facilities, restaurants and access to your own beach. Its a big Marriott and all the things you would expect but it also has a few surprises. The in-hotel shop has lots of treats and the Pizza was a absolute favourite for our fussy food daughter. The beach is excellent with loads of deck chairs and cabanas to shelter from the sun. Staff were good and its ideally located to shopping and other restaurants.

• Room with Ocean View

Being picky but lack of atmosphere at night.

Great complex, staff really friendly and helpful. Great pool. Location near to good restaurants. Very clean. Beautiful views. Ability to use hotel next doors facilities. Plenty of sun beds which were very comfy

• Room with Ocean View

I did not like that we could not enjoy indoor swimming pool with our toddler on rainy day, it's only for adults. Also little play room / area would be greatly appreciated.

Location was good and stuff is great

• Room with Ocean View

There was nothing I didn't like rated a 10 ⭐️ as far I'm consern.

All staff were very nice and helpful our first time in Cancun I stay the first 5 days at Villa Del Palmar then had to move due they couldn't accommodate for the other 5 days I'm so glad I pick your hotel had a great experience especially when it Came time to check out my plane didn't leave till 6:40 pm and Elisabeth at the counter told me that I could check out at 2:00 pm that was very nice of her I don't know if you do this for every guest but I really appreciated.THANK YOU ELIZABETH 🤗

• Room with Ocean View

The service left something to be desired. There was no accountability. The best way to describe it is "death by a thousand duck bites." A lot of small annoyances culminated into a head that put a blight on the entire experience. For instance, the rooms are not very clean. Our room had mold in the shower. Registering a complaint via the phone was met with shrugs. We also would have liked to order room service, but for some reason our room did not have a menu. We called down to the front desk to ask for a menu and was told one would be brought up promptly. After thirty minutes of waiting, I decided just to walk down to the concierge to ask for one in person. Not a big deal for me. Perhaps they're just really busy. The concierge told me they don't carry menus at either concierge or the front desk, but that she could have one sent to my room (sheesh!). I explained that we tried this, but if she could reiterate the request for a menu, we would appreciate it. 30 more minutes and another phone call.....no menu. We called the hotel the day before arriving to confirm that early check-in at 11:00 a.m. would be allowed. When we arrived at 11:00 a.m., we were told our room would be ready in an hour. No big deal...we'll go have a couple drinks at the bar. We returned around Noon and was told it would be another hour.After returning around 1:20 p.m., I returned to the front desk and was told by a manager that it would be another hour and a half. At this point, my wife and I told the front desk this was unacceptable and that we'd been waiting for over two hours already and was originally told an hour. Magically a room came available that, of course, wasn't clean when we arrived. Two of the lamps didn't work in the room. I suppose they just threw us in a roo mto shut us up from asking. We also had to leave the hotel at 4:30 a.m. to catch a very early flight out of Cancun, so we asked for the bill to be sent to the room at around 7:00 p.m.

Sedona restaurant's food was surprisingly good. My wife had the chicken mole enchiladas, and I had the venison dish. Both were excellent. The wait staff in the restaurants and poolside were friendly and fairly attentive.

• Room with Ocean View

Property was a 15 minute private shuttle ride from the airport. We only stayed 1 night as a stop over from Tulum but would have loved to stay longer. Very clean, friendly staff, local restaurants easily accessible, bars around pools were great. Would definitely stay here again. Plus we were upgraded to a Junior Suite room and it was amazing!

• Room with Ocean View

The prices were incredibly expense, example 2 margarita's cost my husband 39.00 US dollars at the pool bar. I was sick needing a doctor, the visit to the room with medicine was $376.00 US dollars, and I wasn't' told the price, except the consultation fee was $149.00. The doctor only took US cash. My husband didn't have the entire amount, him and the doctor walked to the ATM together. Something I ate at the hotel didn't not agree with me spending 24 hours in my hotel room. Lots of festivities going on, loud wedding going late in the evening. Not a quiet resort to stay. Italian restaurant served undercooked fish, very disappointing.

Sedona restaurant was delicious, service prestige. Front desk was amazing, making sure our room was right when they didn't have a king bed for us. The view was the best, my favorite part of our stay.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Room with Ocean View

The hotel lobby bar is best for the passionate Barbara Streisand fan. The concierge isn't very helpful- they wouldn't reccomend much off of the property and didn't help with coco bongo tickets or information on excursions. Also, the wifi is $15 a day, but nowhere while logging on does it tell you that.

The pool complex is incredible, and surrounded by plush loungers and thatch canopies. The beach is beautiful. The service is always with a sincere smile. Prices are comparable with average non chain restaurants in the northeast, thanks especially to a favorable exchange rate.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Room with Ocean View

Food was fresh, there is good Friday for the entire family. They accommodated all her allergies. The health club had all the equipment you need for an entire workout.

• Premium Double Room with Ocean View

We didn't know that tips were included in our room rates and we left pretty generous tips for our servers at breakfast. We felt somewhat misled in this regard.

Great variety of food at the buffet. One letters were made to order and were very good. Fruits were ripe and delicious.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Premium Room with Ocean View

The wifi is not free and a bit expensive (17$/day). You need to get up early to get a seat around the pools. Especially with you are not alone! But it is easy to find a place to lay down on the beach.

Everything was perfect ! The buffet was amazing and I highly recommend everyone to take it EVERY MORNING! The beach looks like paradise. The staff was really nice and always available to help us!

• Premium Double Room with Ocean View

The bathroom was clogged a couple times.

The service was excelente! It's beautiful that every morning when you wake up, you can look out and the view would be so nice!!!

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Room with Ocean View

Communication. Booked a sea view with king size bed. And got no view with two full size beds. They did exchange it the last two nights but it was a bad experience. Also got a $200 credit to room. Store staff said that when we run out of the credit we wouldn't be able to charge to room anymore. Which is what we wanted. But upon checking out front desk said we owed $125 for charges to room. Which was very disappointing.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Double Room with Ocean View

You need to pay for wifi.

The fitness/spa center has group fitness class 6 days per week. 4-5 classes per day. Type of classes include TRX, Spin, Kickboxing, HIT and full body workout. I really like the instructor Daniel. He is knowledgeable, patient and polite.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Double Room with Ocean View

The Flea Market....it's something to see once. The tourist crap near the Flea Market is annoying. The best bet is to stay near the JW Marriott and not travel too far away from it.

Liked the location of Hotel in proximity to several nice restaurants. Harry's in particular was stellar.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

• Premium Room with Ocean View

Everything was wondeful, nothing to complain about.

Multiple Restaurants with different cuisine like mexican, argentinian, italian, japanese and thai. Also staff very good and always happy to help. Pool area is very big, infinity pool is wonderful.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Room with Ocean View

the fact that i am a loyal member of the Marriott's program and that i spend most of my nights away from family in one of your properties did not help at all when requesting a room in a higher floor or with a better view. Being a Platinum member gave me free WiFi and 10% discount at breakfast

excellent staff really friendly

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Room with Ocean View

Be careful of the minibar, they charged me for many items that I've never take although they fixed this issue later on

It is one of the best hotels in cancun, nice resturants, luxurious atmosphere

• Reviewed: 3 December 2016

• Room with Ocean View

MRriott is generally a good hotel chain and this is one of its best.location far enough out for peace close enough for excitement.on the beach.great service.been here before will come again

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Room with Ocean View

Great hotel. Staff were friendly and very accommodating. Hotel was clean and current. Ate most of my meals offsite but what few I did have at the hotel were very good. Great beach too!

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Room with Ocean View

NEED IMPROVE QUALITY IN BRAEKFAST BUFFET, MANY ALTERNATIVES BUT MEXICAN FOOD NOT GOOD COOK, EXPENSIVE BRAEFAST.

ATENTION FROM PERSONEL, CONFORT, GREAT FACILITIES

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Room with Ocean View

Nothing, everything was above expectation

Great room, with a view. Excellent facilities with many pools, free WIFI, convenient beach access and most importantly - very professional, helpful and friendly staff. Received free upgrade on check in, champagne for 2 in the room, late check out and discounts on the food and services we purchased at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Room with Ocean View

The on site convenience shop is great with freshly made pastries and pizza and all reasonably priced. The pool is great with lots of seats and very relaxing.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Room with Ocean View

There is a connecting door in the room to another room ,and do not block noise that other people did

I loved the pool, the hotel has restaurants so there's no need to leave The hotel has every thing there

• Reviewed: 3 July 2016

• Room with Ocean View

I am surprised that the walls are paper thin. You hear every one moving chairs, talking and going and coming. Very annoying and difficult to relax. They have central airco which is quiet however you cannot mask the noise of the neighbors arguments, showers and toilette flush!!! In addition children are left unattended playing in the halls with hover boards and games, knocking on all the doors to rooms as they pass by. A kindergarten. Well worth the money to stay in the adult section had I only known! Note this is not a swimming beach!!! Red flag every day. Waves are 8-10 feet!!! The room was ocean view but basically it's an angle of the ocean with view of the other hotel. Free coffee in the room, however no free water, which I find inappropriate for a hotel of this class. In addition they want 20 dollars a day for wifi unless you join their members program, unheard of in 2016! The members program then meets with you and tries to sell you properties and stays, like the old time share scams of the 1980's. You are offered a free gift of a seashell. Now everyone knows you do not remove any creatures from the sea and many countries now forbid returning to your country with any of this!! Truly disappointed and frankly appalled with their lack of conservation ethics and knowledge.

This is a lovely large resort on the beautiful beaches of Cancun. The rooms and beds are incredibly comfortable and staff very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

• Room with Ocean View

300 USD cash left in the deepest pocket of my bag was missing after my stay, I did not even took that bag out since my checked-in... Really have no idea how this could happen to a 5 star hotel...

I like the hotel location, swimming pools, beach services and the room service.

Construction noise

Infinity pool

• Room with Ocean View

We got one of the newly renovated rooms

Noise from 9am to 5pm due to renovation

Swimming pool, very confortable bed, good breakfast and large choice of restaurants

• Room with Ocean View

The location is amazing! The staff was wonderful and the facility is beautiful and sparkling clean.

• Room with Ocean View

Room was dated and a bit dusty. I think they are refurbishing?

Bed was amazing! Room was spacious. Pool area and beach both really nice.

Pool area.

• Room with Ocean View

The rooms were very clean but needed a little updating.

The staff was attentive and very friendly. It made our vacation very enjoyable.

• Room with Ocean View

Everyone was very kind and tried to please, we will definitely stay there again.

Described above

The bed was comfy.

The rental car agent

The dress code

• Room with Ocean View

WIFI NOT FOR FREE in the rooms !!! Thats a scandal...

Amazing exterior pools and view from the room

Very very old hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The breakfast can improve

It is a great place congratulations

• JW Suite

It was under renovation during my stay.

Spa area and massage service

• Room with Ocean View

Very beautiful and luxury hotel, super polite and friendly staff!

• Double Room with Ocean View

there were ants in my romm

• Room with Ocean View

VERY OLD BUILDING, ROOMS AND APPLIANCES. TERRIBLE FOOD QUALITY FOR A 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!

PERSONNEL IS REALLY FRIENDLY

I cannot find fault.

The staff were exceptional, the room and beach view from the 14th floor were lovely. The Italian restaurant was very good.

• Room with Ocean View

Fantastic experience, lovely 5 stars hotel with amazing view , we definitely come back

• Premium Double Room with Ocean View

The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. The view from our balcony was wonderful. I had the best massage ever. A wonderful vacation.

Excellent place.

The attention was excellent

Overprised for What you get! Poor design

Italian restaurant

• Room with Ocean View

The staff were amazing, as was the amazing suite with ocean view, the buffet breakfast and the pool and beach area - heaven!

Restaurants and service