Reviews of Hotel Marlowe 3 stars

Independencia Numero 17 Colonia Centro, 06050 Mexico City, Mexico

#96 of 329 hotels in Mexico City

Great Value in The Centro Historico

The elevator was a little wonky. It skipped our floor and it's not always level when the doors open.

We needed a hotel for one night before catching our return flight to the US and the price was right. It's a block from the Alameda-Belles Artes and a short walk to the Zocalo. We stayed in the Centro last year and so we knew where we were which made it easier. The location felt safe and staff was really friendly. The room was tight but clean, very comfortable, and quiet for being so close to to the center. Since it was the last leg of a long trip, and we were exhausted, that was everything that we could ask for. I would definitely recommend it.

Dont go there
    • Standard Twin Room

No Ac in the room, and it was too hot at night, breakfast has no options and is very limited. Bed is not comfortable at all (worst pillows)

Only 2 things i liked in the hotel: 1) staff was very friendly (Marco Antonio was very helpful and delightful) 2) Location

Great location and a good breakfast
    • Standard Room

The elevator is a bit annoying. Need to press a button to open when reaching the level you want or else it will keep on going and won't open.

The staff was nice and the room ws clean and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Great lockation
    • Standard Room

The Toilet paper wasn't good quality and uncomfortably far from the toilet. The water temperature in the shower was unstable.

The staff was nice. Sometimes they had jus and apples to take. They have a service for leaving your baggage at the hotel. The location of the hotel was secure.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Average hotel facilities/impersonal staff but good location
    • Standard Room

Staff was unfriendly and impersonal. Gym was small and poor. No complimentary water was offered in the rooms.

Hotel was located extremely close to the Palacio de Bellas Artes and within walking distance of the museums and Zocalo. For the location alone, this hotel is a good one night stay.

Good and convenient location.

This ended up being a huge hassle to check in and out of. I was double charged (charged TWICE for the SAME night) although I had called ahead of time to change my dates. I booked through the app and the change should have been free. I called the hotel to confirm and they redirected me to the app. I should have known it was going to be an issue when they couldn’t find my reservation. They refused to reimburse the night.

Good and convenient location.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Clean, especially the bathroom.

The garage only has room for 9 cars. We had to park our vehicle three blocks away at the sister site for our entire stay. The area is not the safest by far. We were not offered reimbursement for the cab fare back to the hotel. No AC. The view from our room was not good

Clean, especially the bathroom. Nice lobby. Close to major tourist attractions.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

I would stay at the Marlowe again but would book a room with a view of the street.
    • Standard Room

My room (501) was small but okay. However, the window faced a wall so very little light came in. But it was quiet. The next morning I asked about moving to a better room and found that the price would have been considerably more. The TV was very fuzzy so I just used it like a radio. The bathroom was very nice. I had breakfast at the hotel one time. It looked good but the eggs and meats were cold so I didnt eat breakfast there again.

The hotel is one block from the Palacio de Belles Artes and the lovely park. And it's only about a 7 block walk from the Zocalo. The hotel's restaurant has excellent dinners. Ranulfo, the night desk person, was extremely helpful and his English is very good.

Great location, clean and modern with friendly staff.
    • Standard Room

The location so close to a lot of tourist sites so much closer than I thought it would be. The restaurant was great and the service fantastic. It was clean and modern and had helpful and friendly staff.

Location, location, location!
    • Standard Twin Room

Internal noise of the building.

Location, location, location! Easy walk to Zocalo, and the buses, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Parque Juarez. Comfy hard beds, fan over beds, capacity to print off boarding passes and tour tickets.

Nice stay
    • Standard Room

The pillows were to high and uncomfortable. The bathroom sink was a bit clogged.

The room was very clean. Friendly stuff. The location is great, close to many attractions and good restaurants.

Everything was smooth from check in to check out. Love the location for the price.

Not much I can think of

Location is awesome. Central to most tourist spots. Easy to get places from hotel. Room and hotel overall comfy nice for the price. Great deal. Very happy and would stay there again and recommend.

affordable hotel, nicely located
    • Standard Room

the shower flooded for every shower and had to buy incense to get rid of a bad sewage smell that came at night.

I personally liked the location of this hotel as it was close to everything in the center of the city. I would encourage tourist to visit Mexico city in a heart beat as it gorgeous and affordable. I would however recommend to stay outside of the center, where there nicer/cheaper hotels. I liked this hotel but i could of easily paid a $100 more and stayed at one the hotels facing cathedral instead.

Very Good Option for Historical Center.
    • Standard Room

Not too much of a problem for me but be aware that you hear city noises so this isn’t a tranquil or secluded location.

Very good location - only 1 block from Palacio de Bellas Artes and the metro stop there. Staff was helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The price was very reasonable for Mexico City. I would stay there again.

Generally, We are happy with the stay !
    • Standard Twin Room

There is only a fan in the room. No air conditioning. It was not too hot while we were there and it was ok. But, if it is really hot. It will be quite uncomfortable! .

The location is excellent! Very convenient! Close to quite a few sight seeing spots and the subway and bus system. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

The hotel served it's purpose but did not feel there was value for money.
    • Standard Room

No tea or coffee in the rooms, the walls are so thin I could hear the guest in the room next door snoring all night and on checking in the staff where not much help or intrested in showing me where to find my room. The gym is very dated but does have a good view while working out.

My flight was late in the evening and they allowed me to leave my luggage while I went into town after checking out. The hotel is in a very good location to city center and attractions.

The bed was comfy, the room and the bathroom clean.
    • Standard Room

the room was a bit small.

The bed was comfy, the room and the bathroom clean. The staff was helpful. Good WIFI. Great location and surrounded by many restaurants and stores.

Good location with friendly staff.
    • Standard Room

Not all the staff had a good grasp of English so the experience at reception varied.

Good solid hotel almost in the centre of Mexico City. Concierge staff were very helpful and went out of their way to help me understand the Mexico City public transport system. Large variety of eating places in close vicinity. Hotel restaurant provided excellent meals .. at a price!

Great location to get to all the main sights, and comfy bed and nice bathroom.
    • Standard Room

Bit old and rundown. Needs some work outside. Probably a little overpriced. Very small.

Location was good, right near Bellas Artes. Bathroom was clean and functional. Comfortable bed.

Clean, quiet and very close to historic district.

Nothing really

Clean, quiet and very close to historic district. When i told them my room wasnt good and had no fan, they immediately moved me to another room and brought me , not 1 but 2 fans!! Staff were excellent, helpful and friendly. Id recommend it to all

good to stay
    • Standard Room

I felt a little bit sticky on a room floor. Only CNN english channel didn't work clearly. There's no A/C, but there's Fan. Mexico city is dry so that is enough on May.

Location is good, close to Zocalo and convenient Area. I could stayed comfortable overall.

A very pleasant 3 night stay. We plan on returning to Hotel marlowe on future visits.

Air conditioning would have been nice. There is a fan in each room which helps but a window needs to be open to allow some fresh air into the room. Only negative!

Excellent location - one block from Bellas Artes, about 10 minute walk to the Zocalo. Restaurant good - not excellent, but good. Staff very helpful and responsive.

Nice hotel in midst of historic center of Mexico center.
    • Standard Room

One of our rooms was kind of dingy. There was a small window in the bedroom. But we requested to change and they complied. Ask them for rooms above 2nd floor and facing outside to get better view.

The staff were courteous and helpful. The place is close to the historic center and chinatown. Plenty of touristic and eating options. They will arrange for the trips if you ask them.

It is a good basic hotel and in a great location if you want to see the major historical sites.
    • Standard Room

The room was smaller than expected but it was all right. No view. Power went off shortly after we got to the room, so was glad we weren't in the elevator at the time. Decided to walk the stairs from then on.

Location was good.

It was great convenience that my friends and I could each have our own rooms, on the same floor.
    • Standard Twin Room

The elevator had problems most of the time. The coffee is mediocre, in a city that should always have fabulous coffee without going to Starbucks.

The room was comfortable, the fan was NOT over my head, which is perfect. The location is close to museums, which is my reason for being there.

Good place to stay if you want to visit Mexico City
    • Standard Room

Maybe the bed was too small

Staff very welcoming, beautiful hall and elegant style of the hotel. I suppose that our room was one of the smallest, by the way we really enjoyed our stay! I spent a day in bed due to fever, and we call for room service every evening, good service and good food! Great value for money, just 5 mins from Palacio de Bellas Artes, streets around don't seem to be very safe during night but in the morning you could reach the Zocalo very easily, without feeling unsafe.

Your typical 3 star hotel
    • Standard Room

1. My room was next to the cleaning ladys closet so there is a fair bit of noise 2. No minibar

1. Great location. Convenience stores, takeout pizza, metro all within walking distance 2. Room was nice 3. Cable TV 4. Good WiFi bandwidth

The staff was kind and accommodating
    • Standard Room

It was not easy to pay by credit card or to charge things to the room even despite having given a credit card number at check-in

The staff was kind and accommodating

Would definitely stay here again!

The staff were very welcoming and they assisted us in getting all of our tours and transportation set. We felt safe, comfortable, and we truly enjoyed our stay.

Clean, comfortable, great location.
    • Standard Twin Room

Not honoring check in rate.

Good but rate stated on internet was not honored. We moved to another hotel a bit cheaper yet a better room at the other hotel

The location is very good, near to several of famous sights...

None.

The location is very good, near to several of famous sights of Mexico city. Also near to the famous restaurants and bars. And it is very nice for being checked-in in the morning.

a hotel provide almost all basic needs with convenience and comfort for the money

Not all the front desk and restaurant people speak or understand English. Rooms do not have air-conditioning. However, we do not need it since the time we were there, the temperature was always 55-80.

The location of the hotel is excellent if your major tourist attractions are located around the historical center area (Zocalo) - close to almost everything (metro, parks, museums, ...). It is relatively quiet.

Its ok for the short stay.
    • Standard Room

There are many cockroaches in the hotel, the breakfast is very poor and laundry is very expensive. Good for one, two days but not more.

The location of the hotel is good, The hotel is not so old, and looks good.

A good base - great location.
    • Standard Room

Breakfast isn't included in the price. You pay 140 pesos extra each morning. Also the local taxes (19% of the quote) is added later. This should be included in the price.

A good base to explore the city. It was also fairly easy to get to Teotihuacan using public transport.

Safe, clean, efficient, pretty good value for the primo location in Centro Histórico.
    • Standard Room

The two single rooms I have stayed in were very small, with no place for larger luggage except on the desktop. Also both singles looked onto the air shaft with no natural light. Literally could not tell whether it was night or day nor visually check weather conditions. The two double rooms I have stayed in were on the side with natural light which makes a huge difference. Would not stay at Marlowe again without assuring a room NOT looking into the narrow air shaft. The decor and ambience is utilitarian and bland, so don’t expect much local charm. Best if you are out and about all day and just need a place to sleep or regroup between outings.

This was my fourth stay at the Marlowe. Best feature is the location. Feels secure and efficiently run. Also very clean with good amenities in bed and bath areas (ceiling fan, outlets for devices, hairdryer, toiletries, lots of towels). Bed was comfy with quality linens but pillows in my room were overstuffed, making it hard to sleep.

Very nice service, friendly people.
    • Standard Room

Very nice service, friendly people. The room I had was quiet, but only because I was lucky to have quiet neighbours, and the noise of the toilet flushing I gracefully ignored. The noise insulation between the rooms is quite bad (but very well towards the outside). A friend of mine, staying in the same hotel, was less luckily. Her single room was not only much smaller but she also had neighbours watching TV or talking on the phone early in the morning. In a nutshell, an excellent place to stay provided that you have nice neighbours.

The location was great and the staff were very helpful and...
    • Standard Room

My room did not have air conditioning which at first, was a little jarring. The room did have a ceiling fan and it did the trick to cool me off.

The location was great and the staff were very helpful and courteous. The room was very clean and the bathroom had a filter so I could drink as much water as I would want. I greatly appreciated them leaving fresh juice in the afternoon in the lobby as well.

Facility is not so great particularly Wi-Fi connection was poor.
    • Standard Room

Wi-Fi was constantly cutting off. There was no map. Shower didn’t have the same temperature and got too hot or cold.

There was drinking water tap in the room.

The staff was attentive and the location is ok, but not...
    • Standard Room

The hotel have a policy for saving water but they would wash the towels every day even when we would explicitly ask not to. The walls are pretty thin so if you want to rest relatively early is not ideal.

The staff was attentive and the location is ok, but not ideal if you are a woman walking by yourself at night.

Pleasant reception area but rooms not worth the cost as too cramped and without any facilities.

We requested a quiet room with view. We were given a room just over a metre from the lift on 4 th floor ( of 8 or 9) with a view of a wall! So much for customer service. The room was very small despite having 2 double beds with very little ventilation, no air con and no window that could be open only a small vented window.

Location excellent. Bathroom pleasant and functional.

Couldn’t sleep
    • Standard Room

What other people have written is true - old and outdated furniture, small rooms etc. However, the worst for me was loud noises that kept me awake all night every day for a week. I could hear my neighbours just talking, when their phone vibrated, flushing toilets etc. It’s a shame as the staff is really good and the location perfect.

Staff was nice and the internet was fast.

Amazing staff very friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Room

Amazing staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location and very clean. The only issue that stopped me from giving a 10 is that they don’t all speak English.

Nice short stay in Mexico City

- room without air-con, just electric fan right on top of the bed, so hot at night - a bit dark even all lights are switched on - room is a bit small with smell - only one male staff speaks english

- locating in the center of Mexico city, beside China Town,5 mins walk to the historical area - hotel staffs are nice and friendly - shower with hot water - hotel with elevator

Staff were especially wonderful.
    • Standard Room

Noisy! The doors are super thin and don't seal all the way to the floor, so you hear everything in the hallway. Fitness center is a joke. Not one working machine.. But great steam room. Very hard beds and pillows, if you like that.

Staff were especially wonderful. Hotel Manager created solutions for any problem. Extremely clean

Nice choice for the area

No breakfast

The location is great, near by Bella's artes and zocalo, staff are friendly and helpful, they have a locked storage room in case you need. The room is beautiful, big, comfortable and very clean. There's also a Jacuzzi and the shower was great.

It was good, nothing special or exciting, but good service and value.
    • Standard Room

The room was small and had no extras like a fridge or a coffeemaker. there was no place to keep my suitcase available, to leave it set out. The bathroom was a bit cramped too.

the location was convenient, the lobby cheerful and inviting. I chose the hotel for economy and felt I got good value for the money.

Very friendly staff, some speak englisch, very clean rooms,...

Nothing i can think of

Very friendly staff, some speak englisch, very clean rooms, perfectly located to get around, tours from the hotel to the pyramides etc are possible and organized by the hotel, late checkin no problem (11pm)

excellent. I highly recommend and i will be back for it again.
    • Standard Room

Probably it is too near to Zocalo, a lot police cars going around with the sirens on after midnight,tends to wake me up quite often at night.But that is surely not the hotel's fault. If i have to be really picky, the only 2 things probably can help the hotel scaled higher; provision of bedroom slippers and electric kettle.Nowadays alot of hotels start providing these.The management can consider this. Not expensive but yet makes the stay feels more like home.

The staffs at the front desk and housekeeping are very helpful and friendly. And they are very patient to guide me the locations that i want to go. I have to say excellent service, comparable to top rated hotel chains. The location is fantastic. You have a whole streets of foods and convenient store. Chinatown within 5 minutes walk in front of the hotel. Bellas Arts is behind the hotel within 10 minutes walk.Excellent location for tour.

Worth the price, one block from Chinatown and walking distance to other attractions.
    • Standard Room

Bed and pillows are a little stiff. The single rooms are oddly shaped. Additionally the room was very stuffy and muggy. I guess the rooms don't have A/C and provide a small fan tower which did the trick, but there was still mugginess.

Staff was quite friendly and nice. The hotel has a nice lobby and restaurant looks decent, although we didn't try it.

It was walking distance to the historic centre with a lot of...
    • Standard Room

Walls were paper thin. You could hear every movement/sound in the other rooms making for a poor nights sleep

It was walking distance to the historic centre with a lot of food options nearby

Amazing amenities and space
    • Standard Room

The only thing I didn't like is the fact that wasn't clear that my breakfast had to be paid. I really thought it was included in my reservation but then I discovered that was not included, but checking the reservation, I didn't see anything explicit saying out was or wasn't included. I guess I'd expect to have free breakfast for the price I paid, but well, I guess it wasn't as clear as it could be.

The staff was good, although they made me wait for longer than normal in my check-in. The amenities were incredible having things like sewing kit, tooth brush with toothpaste, barber kit, etc. The space available was also really great!

The room was not big but clean.

Shower: water pressure was not good. Little info about the hotel upon check-in unless you ask. Luckily Lonely Planet says there's a gym w/ some city view on the 9th floor so I went up to check it.

The room was not big but clean. It is 5-min walk from the pedestrian street and 15-minute walk from Zocalo. A lot of small restaurants & street food can be found close to the hotel. Across the street is China Town, a short street w/ some Chinese restaurants.

Good value in central location
    • Standard Room

Very noisy guests starting to hat or rather shout in the corridor before 7am! Later, works next door started. Need to provide earplugs. Can't sleep like that

Good value for money and extremely friendly staff. Room small and no view, but functional for a night

The staff was professional, however a bit standoffish.
    • Standard Room

When I went to the bar it took quite a while to be served even though I was the only customer. An employee was sitting behind the counter and ignored me.

The staff was professional, however a bit standoffish.

Would choose again.
    • Standard Room

The staff had limited English and couldn't help with information. On check-in we were required to sign a paper available only in Spanish that the desk clerk was mostly unwilling and unable to translate.

Fabulous location: close to the sights, tours, restaurants and great bakery but off the busy main streets. Good buffet breakfast. The hotel was a modern building, clean and with good wifi.

Very good hotel for price - execelent location and breakfast
    • Standard Room

Staff in general knows very little english. Asked for 2 adjacent rooms because my sister was staying there and they put us on oposite sides of the same corridor.

Breakfast, Breakfast, Breakfast! Location was great around many amenities and near metro station. Plenty of restaurants around and services. Staff polite and helpful. From 3 hotels we stayed in mexico this had the best wi fi.

very good, location and reasonable price.
    • Standard Room

there is a road construction going on and the road was closed when we arrived so we have to pull our luggage on the rough road/sidewalk. it was too dusty too - it's good to be alerted of this construction in advanced.

Great location and comfortable facilities.
    • Standard Room

It can get a little noisy as you're in a central location..

Great location and comfortable facilities. The staff were helpful and easy to deal with. Easy walking distance to Bella Artes!

Good value for the money.
    • Standard Room

There is no AC, although they have a good fan on the ceiling, I found it too warm some of the nights. There is no temperature balance in the shower, so the water goes from too hot to too cold. We tried the breakfast buffet one morning but we did not like it. The coffee was extremely weak. There are better places to eat just around the corner.

It was quiet and a very convenient location. There were lots of attractions that were within easy walking distance.

very satisfying
    • Standard Room

at arrival staff at reception was correct but seems not to be very informed on "how to go where" if you ask questions. but in general staff was ok and kind

situation

Good location, but that’s about it.
    • Standard Room

The rooms were extremely small. There wasn’t a thermostat to adjust the temperature. Just windows. The room door was hollow and didn’t go all the way to the floor. It allowed a lot of hallway noise into the bedroom. There’s a lot of road construction going on around the hotel and really noisy in the morning and afternoon.

Great location, clean room for a very reasonable price.
    • Standard Room

The doors are "thin" so sounds from other rooms and the hallways can easily be heard. Rooms are a little cramped but they are still functional.

The hotel is right down in the Centro Historico area, close to many sites and great restaurants. Once the construction is done on the street outside it will be a great stroll along Indepencia and to other historical sites. Purified water.is provided by a tap in the bathroom, great idea to save on bottled water.

Great location. Good accommodations for the price point.
    • Standard Room

Room got pretty chilly at night. The filtered water tap was really noisy and water pressure changed all the time. The walls were pretty thin so we could hear people in the hallway and could hear when our neighbors were using their bathroom :/

The breakfast (not included, you needed to pay for it) was very good and at a very reasonable price. Bedroom included a bathroom with filtered water and an adequate shower. The staff were friendly and helpful enough - they provided extra pillows on request (the first pillows were firm and lumpy). The location is excellent - its within 5 to 10 minute walking distance to many of the major attractions of the historic center of Mexico City. Tons of good restaurants are around and it felt very safe.

Excellent location and very comfortable rooms
    • Standard Room

The staff was very unfriendly and not happy to help or do anything extra for you. We ordered room service twice and our order didn’t arrive. The staff are extremely disappointing

Overall it was clean, comfortable and in a good location.

Having someone on the desk all the time that can speak some English would be helpful. Also would be lovely to have an electric kettle in the room with mugs to make tea and coffee and a small fridge.

Overall it was clean, comfortable and in a good location.

Excellent service. Enjoyed my stay.
    • Standard Room

My room was on street side, so it was little bit noisy. Otherwise no complaints.

Staff was really friendly and polite. Especially older man from the reception, who helped with my charger + I received better room than I booked. Excellent service. Breakfast was good too with multiple options.

Nice hotel in excellent location
    • Standard Room

The location is very convenient. The bed was comfortable and had a nice and authentic mid-century modern touch. The bathroom was clean. The breakfast was good and offered many choices. Staff was very professional and helpful.

Great experience!
    • Standard Room

The location was amazing, around 5 mins walking from Palacio de Bellas Artes, bus station to Mexico norte terminal bus station and also subway station. 9 mins away from Zócalo. A lot of restaurants and convenience stores nearby. 5 star service and helpful staff. Room was clean and comfortable.

A good choice every time we visit DF
    • Standard Room

Comfortable bed with extra pillow and blanket. Loved the little reading light and the tap for purified water in the bathroom. It was our fourth stay at the Marlowe, always a good choice. Now with excellent restaurants just around the corner and soon, all new sidewalks in the neighborhood!

Staff are lovely.
    • Standard Room

It’s a little noisy in the rooms.

Staff are lovely. Rooms are small but clean. The hotel is within walking distance to the Historical centre, the Juárez Park is only a block away.

Not as good as it used to be, and they need to clean up the entrance.

The room was tiny, dogs were barking outside our window all night, there were several homeless sleeping on the sidewalk outside the hotel that you literally had to step over to get to the entrance, and the night clerks were sullen. It's gone downhill since my last stay there.

The location is excellent, steps away from the Palacio de Bellas Artes, and a short walk to the Old Town and Zocalo/Cathedral.

Clean, pretty and friendly but plumbing and wifi could use work.
    • Standard Room

The main issues were the shower and the toilet. The shower would suddenly turn scalding hot then freezing cold every minute or so. Hard to wash the grime of the day off when you have to leap out of the water stream every few seconds. The toilet blocked very easily, even without the use of toilet paper. I moved from room 310 due to these issues to room 606, but they persisted, so I believe they are hotel-wide. Wifi was terrible in room 310, but passable in 606.

The restaurant is nice and does a very good breakfast in the morning (120 pesos if not included with the room). The staff are friendly and helpful. The whole hotel was very clean with nice décor. Shampoo, conditioner and body lotion refreshed daily (two bottles of shampoo which doubles as shower gel). About a fifteen minute easy walk from the Zocalo via the safe historic centre, round the corner from Bellas Artes. There's a computer room in the lobby useful for printing tickets, checking in to flights, etc. No curfew and staff at reception 24/7.

Do not stay here
    • Standard Room

Horrible plumbing, all on one system. If another room flushes - your cold water is gone. I was burned in shower- Staff had no empathy and showed a lack of care. Street under construction. Jack hammering at 2am, every other day.

nothing -nada

A conveniently situated hotel with everything you need and for a good price - I would recommend it
    • Standard Room

The eggs in the buffet breakfast always had ham in them so I couldn’t have any - that was the main disappointment about my stay. You can hear other guests in the corridor or water noise when they are taking a shower - I slept with my ear plugs so it was fine

The filtered water tap in the bathroom is great so you don’t have to keep buying bottled water. The location is fantastic - only 2 blocks from the historical centre and my favourite building, the Palacio de Belles Artes. Loved the toasted muesli at breakfast - so delicious! And the fresh fruit was always ripe and tasty

Good location - walking distance from the main square.
    • Standard Room

I booked an airport transfer which didn’t show up - actually lucky given the price charged by the hotel was about 5 times higher than the airport taxi cost Hotel was quite noisy - music played in communal areas was too loud

Good location - walking distance from the main square. Well equipped rooms - wide TV choice and extras WiFi good in reception - not as good in rooms