Reviews of Occidental at Xcaret Destination 5 stars

Carretera Federal Chetumal- Puerto Juarez Km 282, 307, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Mexico

#61 of 191 hotels in Playa del Carmen

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

The food is pretty good, and the mexican is of course great. When they try to do international food, there is some improvement to be make though. They do not have lemons in Mexico and call limes lemons, which is crummy since I don't like limes and always use lemons in my water. The deserts are gross, and the chocolate has a strange flavor but is good. The pizza is not good, and they don't have mozarella cheese.

This hotel was better than I thought it would be by far! There are monkeys cavorting in the trees, Scarlett macaws in the lobby area, and other animals running around (including deer) in the jungle. There's a nice little beach at the inlet, some ruins, trails through the jungle, and lots of pools. The staff are all friendly and helpful, and we LOVED that we could walk over to Xcaret that connects!

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

We thought that we would be allowed to enter the Xcaret Park, which was not the case. The food was less than mediocre, there was little to do, and the staff pretty much ignored us.

The room was fine. Comfy. But very slippery floors to get to it. Very slippery floors everywhere.

There were mosquitoes in my room. Also most restaurants are closed by 10. I think it should he open for a longer period.

The entire hotel was amazing..... Food was delicious. Drinks were at your leisure. The staff was amazing. The beach is exceptional. There were animals such as iguanas monkeys and even agouties. My only complaint is that there were mosquitoes in my room and my skin is very sensitive so that did not work out welll. Other than that perfect perfect perfect !!!!

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

The beach left a lot to be desired. Very small and shallow. Also we had a problem receiving messages. Twice they said they tried to get ahold of us but I checked the phone and no messages.

The facilities were very nice, food was good except the main buffet. Lots to do and staff was very friendly.

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

I had high hopes to be completely in awe, instead it was just meh. 😕 #1.It’s sad when the the buffet was better quality food than the specialty restaurants. The alcoholic beverages were so awful, we just drank bottled water and still got ill. Bring your own Imodium. #2. The letter we got said we would have WiFi access which we weren’t given. So I posted no photos of our trip to social media. Just FYI. #3. Be prepared to walk A LOT. Bring tennis shoes. The complex is huge and You will walk your legs off! Well over 10,000 steps a day according to our group. Not that it’s a bad thing if you are prepared for it. (Bring your own icy hot) #4. Also bring mesquito spray for yourself and your room. The mosquitos are the size of horses and ate up my companions. The hotel DOES spray for the little buggers, however- they still are everywhere! #5.Xcaret park tickets were expensive for many of the attractions to be unavailable. I wanted to enjoy this trip more and wish I could give it a raving review. But, all I wished for were Dorthy’s ruby red slippers to click my heels and say “ there is no place like home.” Perhaps 7 days was just too long for my liking.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly from the concierge in our building (21) to the housekeeper. The spa staff were ALL amazing. Our shuttle from the airport to/ from the hotel drove safely and arrived on time. There was always someone cleaning on the property. So it was super nice. We enjoyed looking for the monkeys on our way to the main buildings everyday.

• Deluxe Room

Check-in - SLOW- queues, lazy front desk officers, issues with pos terminals taking a lot of time to arrange the payment; Staff - LAZY - the only active ones actually take care of pestering you about buying extras, most staff looked cheap, untrained and uninterested in doing their job! Food - TASTELESS - wide variety of sweetened food for lunch and dinner, limited other options, had issues with my stomach each day - acids. Drinks - BAD - alcohol is good, but they mix all stuff with sugary syrups and artificial fruit juices and despite the availability of fresh fruits they don't use them Room comfort - BAD: - moisture is a huge issue, all our clothes became and remained wet all the time; - AC unpleasantly loud, no AC - warm and wet; - soundproofing inexistent, you hear all night the people from the private parties walking around the resort, real resort guests cannot relax nor sleep - noise from the programmes - if you stay in building 10 within the main building area there is constant noise from the shows that should entertain the guests. Beach - small and crowded, towels an all sunbeds from early morning, no one cares if the guests will come back despite the many other guests not having where to stay at the beach;

The only nice thing was the layout of the resort and the green park it is situated in - nature is everywhere - lots of birds, small and large rodents and lizards. It was very beautiful. BUT:

• Deluxe Double Room (3 Adults)

I did not like having the worst food poisoning which I had from their food and I was unable to move because of it for 6 days. The food quality was bad and the food hygiene is worst. I did not like it when they wanted me to pay cash in US$(full), but I did as they requested. Than 3 days after the full cash payment they phoning me in my room they want to give the cash back and me paying now with the card and they would not stop bothering me. Was very uncomfortable. So in the end I told them I paid in full as they requested (in cash) and leave me in peace. Eventually they left me. Very unprofessional. I did not like the plumbing. The toilet was overflooded the bathroom and even I called them took more than an hour to turn up and the water just leaked out from the toilet everywhere in the bathroom. Very unhygienic.

I loved the natural beauty of it. And how everything was built around the nature. I loved the water, the animals, the beach and the fun zone

• Deluxe Concierge

We paid extra to book concierge which really only means you get a bottle of house wine and an employee in your building waiting to sell you on a timeshare presentation. He was incredibly friendly but did not act as a concierge, rather a sales person pitching their own services at a discount if we attended a timeshare pitch. The buffets were a bit hit or miss, and it would have been great if they had kept the waterfront restaurant open for dinner. We also had a very ride front desk employee call to threaten that we would be left by our (non hotel) shuttle if we didn't hurry up only to find it was the hotel rushing us and not the shuttle driver. Their prices for shuttle service and spa services were absolutely ridiculous...more than triple what we paid for a shuttle and over double what I'd pay at home for a massage from a nice hotel spa.

I believe we got upgraded to a Junior Suite in one of the concierge buildings, and the rooms were spacious, pretty, and had a balcony overlooking the lush grounds. The Mexican restaurant La Hacienda was quite good along with the oceanfront dining option. We loved having so many pools including the natural pool overlooking the ocean, and the grounds we're designed to make you feel like you were one of only a few guests, regardless of how many people were there. Excellent for relaxing and enjoying nature.

• Deluxe Concierge

Awesome staff, Ramon in Pacos Tacos is the absolute best. great price, beautiful hotel..animals galore-monkeys, flamingos, etc..all-inclusive doesn't have any alcohol brand restrictions. Great location central to Tulum and Playa Del Carmen

• Deluxe Room

No screen on the patio doors *and* they fully lock when you close them, you cannot open the patio door at all from the outside once it's closed. This created a small problem for me as I was staying alone and I got stuck out there until I knocked on my nice neighbors patio door (just barely in reach when leaning over the railings) and they helped by calling the front desk to come get me! Also, the coffee bar near the lobby is a separate charge which is a bit of a bummer. The only strong sales pitch I did experience was by the towel attendant near the inlet, which was not ideal as I was trying to get the last bit of sun that afternoon.

Only stayed here two nights but really enjoyed it. Very clean room, super comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Very friendly staff in general - and I should note that I did not notice the insistence on tips at ALL as mentioned in other reviews. If anything I had to ask some staff to wait a moment so I could fish a tip out of my purse before they left. Decent food and drinks - I wasn't expecting much as resorts are very hit or miss, but overall the food was decent (especially if you go with Mexican food, can't really go wrong), and the pours on the sparkling wine are heavy and very much appreciated. Loved the really clean and large pools - especially appreciate that they had a more "party" type pool for people that wanted that vibe *and* a more relaxed pool option on the other side of the property, which was more of what I wanted. The "beach" inlet was nice to lounge at, though sometimes it did have that algae smell to it which can't be helped much. There is however a very small patch of actual beach on the property that I didn't see anyone mention in the reviews here - it's all the way at the end of the path that heads straight out from the lobby. There's not a ton of sand and it's a bit rocky, but it was very beautiful and nice to spend time at. The spa was also nice, not too many frills but relatively affordable and the massage I had was great. I didn't really check out the nighttime activities, but one of the nights had a kids show, so it does seem to be geared for families here. It is also steps away from Xcaret (the main reason why I stayed here) which was super nice and convenient. I did receive a note via door hanger about a "free gift" which I imagine comes with a spiel about becoming a member, but that was the only full day I had and I was at Xcaret so I didn't pursue it. No one called to pester me the next day about it which I really appreciate.

• Deluxe Double Room (3 Adults)

The quality of the food seems to have declined a bit. While there is always something good to eat, there seemed to be less choices than in the past and the quality of the food items was a little lower than in the past.

The wildlife on the property is by far the biggest draw. The pool (although it was really cold due to the weather) is also great and the beach. The staff is very friendly and the activities for the children was a big plus. The wine and the chocolate martinis were tasty.

• Deluxe Concierge

The pools were not warm. Also you had to pay for things that weren’t necessarily outlined when we booked. They charge you to use the hot tub. Also online it shows photos of the park next door so you think you have access to all these things but you actually have to pay an additional $100 dollars to visit the park for one day.

Location! The staff!

• Deluxe Double Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The pools were very cold and there were no hot tubs available to guests unless you are a VIP member. The evening dining was very disappointing and the nightly entertainment was sub-par.

The resort was very family oriented. The kids enjoyed the wildlife the resort offered, the beach and swimming in the ocean. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The staff played a variety of fun games to engage both adults and children during the day.

• Deluxe Room

Needed more adult only areas. Staff was not totally clearing tables in buffet areas and reusing silverware that looked to not be used by previous occupants of table. Both me and my husband had hair in our food.

Rooms were comfortable, ac was good and ceiling fan was bonus!. Liked that the wait staff in restaurants were always friendly and didn’t make you feel pressured to tip big.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Deluxe Room

Didn't love the beach, but I knew before arriving it wasn't big enough for me.

The staff were incredible and the food was amazing. The grounds were immaculate and maintained the true beauty of the area.

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

3 stars Hotel for price of 5 stars. Animals injured to stay on site, parrots with cut wings in hotel lobby so they would not be able to fly. Bad quality of food.

• Suite

Really disliked that there is no transportation provided to your room after 10pm. VERY INCONVENIENT! Specially being in the Royal level. Horrible experience. Also trying to purchase tickets for Xcaret park and Xplore was very inconvenient as well. Office was understaffed. Had to wait a long time to be helped

Great service, relaxing, amazing get away.

• Deluxe Room

Great new improvements to the hotel since we were there last in 2015. I love the new look in the reception and also the new bedroom look is so much better. Very clean and great comfortable beds. So happy that we returned to this hotel and will definitely be going back. Location to the park is excellent and it's only a 1 minute walk to the entrance, so no need to drive there for the day or book a tour bus, because you can go to the park directly from the hotel. Staff were very friendly and professional, especially ALAN in reception.

• Deluxe Room

The beach is OK. It is a calm, deep inlet. Missed also having access to a traditional coastal beach.

The setting - nestled amidst authentic jungle and ruins in a safe, well-integrated manner. The location adjacent to Xcaret was also great. With the exception of the Italian restaurant, the food service was quick and excellent. The snorkling spot was surprisingly good.

• Deluxe Room

No food available unless completely dressed.

There was an amazing poolbar, the cocktails were perfect, staff was extremely friendly, the food was good, the resort is very beautiful with a lot of animals (which they treat good), room was very clean (and cleaned every day), enough beds at the pool, animation was available for all walks of life.

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (1 Adults)

The layout and some of the other things left a lot to be desired. There were two restaurants open for breakfast and both were 10min walks frommy room. The towels were like sandpaper.

The pools were terrific, the people were really nice and pleasant.

• Deluxe Double Room (3 Adults)

Onsite Services provided in booking events i.e. Xplor and Xcaret, both were fouled up causing lost hours to fix (2 hrs) and long waits at park gates AND required us to reschedule week plans and miss an event due to this mess up. Room service on both occasions was unacceptable. Food was cold, meat was raw and service to remediate was bad. You

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

With the exception of Roman at the pizza/taco restaurant the staff was not friendly. The beds were like sleeping on plywood. No beach at all, only a small manmade cove (We knew ahead, just an FYI) Very small selection of beer. The bracelets are cumbersome.

We liked everything.

The place itself is beautiful with its lush vegetation. It's like living in the jungle. The staff is amazing. Everyone was friendly, helpful, yet not pushy. We loved the pools! The water temperature is perfect, the water itself is clean and the swim-up bar is unforgettable. :) Great value overall.

• Deluxe Room

The room was very very wet. We complained but nobody solved it. We where happy to leave at the end.. Beach is small and it is difficult to find a place. High cost for wifi for an all inclusive 5stars. Not 5 stars service.

Very nice environment with a lot of animals (monkeys, deers,...). Nice walking in the resort feeling like in the forest. Well organized. All personell is nice. Beach has an area with rocks where you can swim with fish.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Deluxe Room

Where to start, they try to get everyone to buy There membership and spend up to 60.000$ and they kinda ban you to say no, I walked away after trying to get away from them for about 30.min There is no reservation needed at the restaurants however one night when I was trying to get to a restaurant there was so many tables empty however he said it was full and waiting for tables to come, so I waited outside to see all there tables but no one came so I went to the supervisor and he said sorry and offered me a reservation instead and why get a reservation if there are "No" reservation needed, The only thing the staff that is ranked higer then the survers and maids think about there is to get as much money from you as they can, even asked me in the interview how many credit cards I have. The beach is small and not worth wisiting I travel a lot and I would never go here again to this property

The Food was Okay

• Deluxe Concierge

Poor customer service at reception upon arrival - not just my opinion, I heard the same from other guests. We had to change rooms the day after our arrival because we preferred a King, plus the room had an overwhelming stench of mold and mildew. The King was ok but needed some updating, especially the bathroom.

Resort location, property layout, tropical surroundings, wildlife, pool, adult pool oceanside, food, beverage, service, on-site shopping, entertainment, gym

• Deluxe Concierge

Checking in. Beds were wrong. Want d king size. Had to change rooms the next day. Girl that checked us in was rude. ATM didn't work. All other staff excellent.

the food was excellent. The staff at the pools and restaurants were friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Deluxe Room

Guests should be made more aware of the timetable of sports and entertainment.

The rooms are very comfortable and great air-conditioning. There were always sunbeds available by the pool. A very relaxing holiday!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Deluxe Room

What can I say, this place was simply sensational. Almost like having a mini city in a jungle. The staff, beach, pool areas, food, rooms, hotel area - just everything, loved it so much we are going to revisit next year!! Thank you for making us feel so welcome and we were waiter on hand and foot the entire time. What a holiday.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

• Deluxe Room

misrepresentation on the website that the access to the adjoining Xcaret natural park was free, unlimited and included with our stay in the Occidental hotel resort. lot of solicitation to attend time share presentation

the hotel staff was friendly

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Deluxe Room

The place was great. Your company on the other hand is terrible and will never use again.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Deluxe Room

There were no genius perks. I even requested the free arrival drink as listed, and the front desk representative denied us. So all the other people (I mean all of them) checking in at the desk around us had drinks, but we did not. It was embarrassing to get denied. And it was my boyfriends bday. No special treatment for him though. Also, the staff were more concerned with selling us membership into the barcelo club than actually addressing our needs. For instance, I wanted to see if I could arrange (even if I had to pay) something special in the room to show it was my boyfriend's bday. It never happened. But I was told if I were a member I could customize these things in advance.

The grounds and atmosphere were great. The buildings, ocean, pools, everything were absolutely beautiful. The food was very good. And the peaceful animal contact was amazing.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

the beach is small, stinky, there are no waves.

Everything else is amazing. The pools, the staff, the rooms and beds, the entertainment, mexico in general.

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

The concierges at the building are bothering and annoying by trying to sell you a trip or time share...disaster!!! Rooms are very very basic- for sure not a 5 stars hotel- much over priced. Beach is very small and not enough beds.

Staff at the restaurant and at the common areas are very nice and polite. The resort is unique and beautiful -looking as part of the nature. Food is okay. Very nice end of year celebration.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Deluxe Room

The DJ of the disco was very bad but well is a hotel DJ jajajaja

The hotel is very good to stay there and not to go out because is a little bit far from playa del Carmen downtown (10min taxi with a cost of 6-7 usd)

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Deluxe Room

There were renovations going on throughout the property. The chemical smells were especially pungent as you walked by. I also thought that the sales staff who were trying to sell time shares were rather pushy. They said "no pressure" and in the next breath they asked us what they could do to get us to buy.

The food was abundant at the buffets with plenty of fresh fruit like avocados & papayas. We especially enjoyed the restaurant called El Pescador. The salmon was delicious! Also, there was an entrance to Xcaret Park from the hotel that made it convenient to go back and forth. The pools were numerous - one had a swim-up bar with a waterfall that you had to swim through in order to get a drink. It was great for an all-inclusive vacation.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Deluxe Room

Lay off the sales pitch. Everywhere we went someone was asking if we had heard about the deal to buy in to their travel program. From the personal concierge at our building to the person handing out towels at the beach to the fellow driving the tram to the lobby. It was very annoying.

The jungly landscape of the property was so beautiful and we loved seeing the animals. William, one of the waiters at the Beach Club, was wonderful. So friendly and personable. We ate there several times over the course of our stay and made a point to always sit in his section.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

Very poor second experience. Won't go back. It is like an old, not very updated resort where you pay top dollar prices. Small, out dated rooms. Staff unfriendly this time. Buffett food always mediocre.

Location. The park is beautiful and different. With the Forrest and ocean as part of the environment, very peaceful atmosphere.

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Deluxe Room

The pool water always warm and since the temperature was warm during the day, we could not freshen up but beautiful place and pool.

The view was amazing and the staff.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

The room towels wasn't changed everyday so had to request clean ones, staff serving other staff members first so the wait was longer, not enough staff to support the volume of customers so waits were longer than expected a for drinks, staff in the park were inconsiderate whilst watching the show. There wasn't always acknowledgment and allowances made for non Spanish speakers, this made me as an english tourist feel very under valued and less welcome. Food was very greasy and rather undesirable, I had a raw burger one day and highlighted this to a moment of staff who couldn't speak English and seemed less than bothered. They also tried to charge us for a wet spa 25 mins freebie given to us for attending their time share sales pitch. Take pesos as paying in dollar was much much much higher in price!!!! Be very aware of this before you go!

We had an all inclusive stay including the unlimited Xcaret park entry. Very little positive apart from they decorated the room for my birthday as my partner had notified them prior to our arrival. The park was pretty too; although the Sharks and Dolphins enclosures seemed quite small.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Deluxe Double Room (3 adults + 1 child)

Room lighting. Insufficient outlets. No cream for coffee. Really just a generic hotel room. Given cost, wifi should have been included. One hour free wifi only available near mosquito hatching grounds (near water). Mosquitos were ubiquitous.

Pool facilities were great. Staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Deluxe Room

The beds were a little too hard for my taste.

The place was OUTSTANDING! The scenery was beautiful, the food was great, and the staff was very friendly.

Everything was great

Staff, the pools, lush jungle environment, wild animals, food.

• Deluxe Concierge

the beach is not amazing

Animals, food, swimming pools, rooms... overall was very nice

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

Staff tried to make us stupid and full for money

• Deluxe Unlimited Xcaret Experience (2 Adults)

Wifi should be free! It’s pricy!

Everything was excellent! Can’t wait to go back!

• Deluxe Room

Artificial beach was filled with seaweed and smelled really bad

Food, restaurants, snacks at pescador, rooms, comfortable beds, bathroom, beach

Beach.

Very nice experience

• Deluxe Room

No heat and it gets chilly at night

The wildlife

• Deluxe Double Room (3 adults + 1 child)

I like the security!!! Not everyone could enter the hotel!!!

• Deluxe Room

Extent place it’s like paradise

• Deluxe Room

Nothing! Everything was great!

Everything!

Mosquitos!!!!!

Staff was very helpful

Having to wear pants to the fancy restaurant.

Service, doctor, beach and pools

• Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Buffet food was just blah.......seemed like the same every day. Never got the credits Booking promised.

The room was cold

Every thing

You need to add another option to the question " who did you travel with" I traveled with my family but they are older than 18.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Deluxe Room

Same food at the buffet needs to be more culture of Mexican food.

We love our VIP tour with Ashley she was amazing and down to earth!

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

We liked everything

Everything. Staff was very friendly. All the amenities were good

Not enough pool towels..

Can't point out just one .. excellent down the board

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

The food was bad

The hotel was beautiful

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

room was a little dated

facilities were good

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

• Deluxe Concierge

They only have a small beach that is not natural.

The food and drinks are really good

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Junior Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Keep the map, you will need it.

Nice location, nice Beach and pools.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

Food and beach

The concierge Fernando at Bldg 22 was great

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Deluxe Room

The facilities are really good but they need to do some things like entertaiment. The hotel is so boring to be all day in it.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Bottle or can beer

Toaster was great and maple syrup had cover so no bugs. Everything you could imagine at the "El Pescador" Great Job!

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

No 24 hr place to eat.

After I got my request for building change. I was happy with the room & location.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2016

only needed improvements would be...deluxe rooms should have queens, not doubles. should have noise machine (dehumidifiers, etc.) available. need better wi-fi and should be free, hence "wi-fi". toilets seats were undersized.

magical place!

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

Food and alcohol was the worst I ever had in my life. Very disappointed. Plus suppose to be inclusive pay extra for gratuity but everyone had hand out all the time. Pressure for sales pitch that suppose to be an hour an half and after 4 and half hours we had to force away out

Very pretty clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

Staff had an attitude, all food was served cold, room was tiny , beds were tiny, toilet had rust stains, wife was hit in head by the shower head falling off hook, portions would starve an ant at the restaruants, they advertised unlimited x-carrat experience, but would have to pay $120.00 a day per person for tickets to the park, $700.00 a day to stay at the resort and it paid for nothing. stayed one night and left very disappointed.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2015

Animals not free to roam except the monkeys overhead, as guess they cant catch them Xcaret Park is next door but if you stay in hotel you get to see most animals. Only Oriental restaurant good, rest middle of road, not what you would expect, its about a 2 star here, rooms clean but dated, 18-30s may like foam parties etc, its all about drinking and eating here, adult swim area was not much bigger than a jacuzzi

Best thing was the person who was assigned to us, Frankie, he made our stay bearable, we checked out early but wouldn't have stayed as long as we did without Frankie's informative help

There are also 24 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Occidental at Xcaret Destination traveller photo gallery