Reviews of Hacienda Tres Rios Resort Spa & Nature Park - All Inclusive 5 stars

Carretera Cancun Tulum Km 54, 77500 Playa del Carmen, Mexico

#92 of 191 hotels in Playa del Carmen

• Junior Suite ( 2 Adults + 2 Children)

the mixed drinks and margaritas had some kind of cool aid syrup added that had nutra sweet added . they tasted disgusting.

loved the cenotes and kayaks,the staff were great and food awesome.

• Junior Suite ( 2 Adults + 2 Children)

No bar at beach area. Too many Blue Bay tourists visiting and swimming in our lagoon. Sorry but resort property should be reserved for paying resort guests.

Staff exceptional and friendly! Jose, John,Caesarand many more helped make trip fun!

The coastline was very dirty/muddy and not useable. Luckily, the river mentioned made up for it.

Beautiful location and grounds. We loved the natural rivers on the property that you can snorkel or kayak. One of the rivers connects to the ocean and is right next to the beach. This is where most people swam due to the clear and clean waters.

They didn’t clean my room, they were very noisy while taking care of other rooms, they try to upsell you too much. The taxi service was too expensive. Also it’s great for families but not solo travelers and the beach isn’t great.

I really loved the grounds and the drinks and food.

I didn’t appreciate the staff on my last day there. There was a lady who was rude. I wanted to check out later and she had told me I can’t because my room was booked. I went back to the front desk later that afternoon and there was another lady who was happy to let me check out later of course for an extra charge of $50 but atleast I was able to check out later. Other than her the staff was nice and accommodated my injured knee very well.

I loved the resort. It has beautiful views and the beaches and pools were amazing.

No complaints, i felt really looked after and able to forget all the cares in the World.

Lovely and and attentive staff, great food, beautiful surroundings. Also, feels very secure and private. If you want to hide from the World for a bit - this is the place to do it!

Not sure why this place gets such a good rating. We had to switch rooms as the switch board in our building was making and hell of a lot of noice (louder than a air conditioning hum in the room. It took 45 minutes for someone to come over to listen. After actively ask for a different room we finally got another room, which was at a different building. Unfortunately the music from the bar (mainly the bass) got through to this room as well (Third floor). Apparently no other rooms were available.....which is weird as it is really quite everywhere in this hotel. Reception staff wasn't that friendly and it came across that it was just an annoyance for them....weirdly we were annoyed by the fact that we paid for this room. Rooms were clean, but i have seen way better.

The serving staff was friendly. Location is nice, but beach area was covered with smelly seaweed and mostly closed off. Quality of the food is strongly depending which restaurant you go to. I had a simple pasta which was way to salty and tasted like it was from a can.

The buffet could have been more diverse.

The staff was incredibly friendly and always saying hi! Everyone seemed to know you were on vacation and tried to make your time special

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

The food was extremely bland. We found ourselves eating just to get full. Their wristband situation is a mess. They giving you better service according to the color of your wristband so if you aren't a "member" there or own a timeshare, you're basically invisible. The beach was horrible, nothing like the pictures that they advertise online. Overall the resort was okay, not horrible. I will not be back.

The river and the pools were awesome! The staff was really nice at the buffet. Our room was really clean and the hotel grounds are very well kept!

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

The activities were clearly on a board by the family pool, but when you are relaxing it is hard to keep an eye on time. It would have been good if someone went round announcing the activity beforehand- but also appreciate that this might not suit everyone, who may prefer the more passive approach. I would have loved to do yoga and /or Pilates, but only one session was arranged per day of one or the other and this was for 8am- I would have liked to see both activities made daily with an option for them to be repeated later on in the afternoon - but that is just a personal request and not a real negative.

We arrived in the evening- quick check in and lovely staff. Our initial thoughts were not great as it seemed to lack atmosphere- How wrong we were. By morning the place was buzzing with genuine friendly staff wanting to help and please. Nothing was too much trouble. The food in the buffet was lovely and varied enough to please everyone. All the other restaurants had great food ( we didn't visit the Italian as this was adult only and we wanted to stay with the kids). We had a lovely meal in the Thai restaurant and the kids were allowed to go to the buffet ( which they preferred) and bring it into the Thai place and eat with us. There is also a lovely café, close to reception. In here the kids loved going for hot chocolate, milk shakes and were able to help themselves to cakes. The girl in here worked long hours but was always polite and helpful. There are 2 main family pools, one is quieter, the other gets the breeze from the beach and is noisier, but has great atmosphere and is where a lot of the kids club and activities happen. The beach, I thought was great, but we preferred the pool. There is a problem with seaweed, but this is the case for the majority of this coastline. The beach isn't very big as I believe most was washed away by a typhoon several years ago, but there is enough and it is never crowded. There are beds on the beach but these are reserved for the ' time share' guests as is the VIP beach. You can then either canoe or float down the ' Lazy river' The rivers run alongside the beach and can be accessed, but better going with the arranged tours that are free of charge as there are wild life there and some of the less used rivers are a bit dark and scary, as my husband found. Also it was fun with the arranged guides, who where cheerful and friendly. There was an alleged siting of a crocodile when we were there, but were reassured that these are usually baby croc's- Well it is a wild life park !

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

The concierge was very disorganized and unable to help us with anything of importance. Very disappointing! The specialty restaurants had very poor service, the wait for food was very, very long and when they came with food it was hardly enough food for one person. Waiters were unhappy and inattentive.

The buffet had good selection and the service there was very good. The family activities were well organized and the staff made every effort to get people involved.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

We had NO idea that after paying full price they would pressure us into buying a time share! The supervisor (Patty) argued with us when we said we weren't interested; it was very unpleasant. If this is part of the experience, it should be stated on Booking.com We were told we didn't need reservations for the specialty restaurants, but were turned away at 8 pm and told it would be an hour wait. I think it would be better to advise us to get a reservation so that we'd know what time to go. Most of the staff were super, but the concierge at the front desk, Jorge, was very rude and wouldn't help us confirm our transportation to the airport. Such a little thing for him to do, and it ruined our afternoon!

The location is the most beautiful we have ever seen! The Animación staff was wonderful: friendly, encouraging, helpful. They made the activities really fun, and made us want to return for more. The food was good for an all-inclusive resort. They have many activities for all interests: bicycling, kayaking, snorkeling, aqua aerobics, walking, scuba lessons, cooking class... We didn't have kids with us, but they had activities for them, too.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

We purchased some (over-priced) bug spray in the gift store. They asked for our room number and accepted our cash payment. We didn't keep the receipt but then noticed it was also included on our room charges at check out. The hotel told us they couldn't do anything about it because the shops work independently and without the receipt we had no proof. We were running late to catch our ride to the airport so we had no recourse or time to talk with the gift store people. We paid $20 twice for a small can of OFF Bug Spray. Customers beware! Keep all receipts!!!!!

We liked the convinience of an all-inclusive resort, where we could go to the buffet or go to restaurants to order off a menu. We particularly liked the continuous cocktails served poolside. Poolside server "Karla" was Absolutely Marvelous!!!

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

Check-in was a nightmare, had to pay an extra $500 for my 8 year-old nephew. Junior suite can only accommodate 4 people, but for extra money-no problem. Requested an early check-in but wasn't able to get in my room until 6 hours later; well passed the regular check-in time. Each room comes with a mini fridge, it took us 3 days for ours. Concierge was not helpful at all. Check-out was not any different, wanted to charge me $200 for a bracelet I didn't have. I was there 2 years ago and had a much better experience.

The resort is clean and the staff in the restaurants went out of their way to provide the best service despite being understaffed. My family enjoyed the spaciousness of the property.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

The location is extraordinary. You cannot compare it with the other hotels along the playa del carmen coast. The 3 rivers create a special caribbean flair with its river-coves. We are European travelers and therefor expect certain quality standards. Cleanliness, food, staff were great. Fulfilled our requirements. Secret Escape!

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

The one mattress and bed were not in the best condition. The pillows were not the best and I found this unusual because one of the perks are supposed to be that there is a pillow menu? I couldn't find it. The food was okay but not the quality I have had at other similar proprties.

The location and beach were superb! The service staff very friendly, remembered my name and made sure to say hello and checked on me regularly.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Definitely more entertainment! Nighttime was pretty boring! The music around the resort was slow 80's jams so not too exciting or Mexico feeling. The hot tubs close around 6 with the pool, would've been nice to have something to do at night! The food was mediocre, had the best food in downtown Playa del Carmen but of course that's not on the all inclusive plan! We learned quickly that room service is the way to go with breakfast! The pool grill is good for dinner as well as the Japanese restaurant. Lunch I would stick to the pool pizza place or the pool grill. As far as the beach goes it is full of seaweed and you have to go across the bridge to the "exclusive" pool club on other side to get into any good beach water. We never had trouble getting over there but did see some poeple being told they had to swim to get there, we just walked across and acted like we belonged there. This beach is the best area to get into the water because the pool is freezing!! Definitely go kayaking into the river, very cool!

The staff was amazing and did a great job in keeping the resort and grounds nice and clean. Not much evening entertainment but one show they had was amazing called The Circus!

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Staff were very friendly! Food was good with a wide variety! Facilities were great with quite a few things to do in our trip. The tours offered are definitely worth doing.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The buffet food was not very good, and there was a wait at certain times. The other restaurants don't require reservations, but if you don't make one you will probably wait upwards of an hour to be seated. Once you are finally seated expect to wait a long time for service and food. The property was small, and not very convenient to Playa del Carmen. We also had an interesting experience we didn't know what to make of: on 3 of the 5 days we were there we discovered an oily residue (petroleum jelly?) on the keys of our room safe. We would clean it off very well, and find it back again another day. Perhaps it's a scam to see the numbers we were punching in?

The property has three rivers (hence the name), and cenotes--which makes the grounds attractive. The bed was comfortable (on the softer side). There was a coffee shop with decent coffee, hot chocolate, and snacks.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

The staff is incredible rude, they do not know how to treat people ,we all came with the idea that this could be a cultural thing proper to the area because it was like an standard attitude. We just don't understand why if they live from tourism they do not act with courtesy and respect with the clients. In addition their check in process is really slow, bureaucratic and unpractical. Everyone of the resort's lobby staff looks more concern about sale you a time share that taking care of you to have a good welcoming and nice stay at their property. Waiters are rude with a couple of exceptions they don't even look at your face to give greetings when you arrive , what to expect when needing a basic service. terrible!! I won't recommend this place at all!!!

The hotel is clean and well maintained

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

The worst service and food ever, I truly don't recommend this facility for families with English speaking as a main language, most of the staff speaks only Spanish with no or limited English language ability. The concierge service at this hotel is key as you need it for almost all reservations and main attractions they are not friendly. They are not service oriented. At restaurants your order takes ages and most properly will come wrong. At one of main restaurant - no reservation is required for this restaurant - I went with the family and the guy said we have a queue and it will take me 45 minutes to get in! I said well the restaurant is almost half empty and I don't see people queuing? He said no you need to wait I have a list! After 15 minutes a waitress approached me and said please come in the restaurant is empty! We are sorry! Beach was bad and not clean, they have a reserved clean and nice area for members which we can not access, this hotel does not derserve the rating shown on booking.com in my view is way below teh number mention on Booking.com. Bottom line look for other facility at palaya del Carmen! Not recommended!

Pools

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

Air conditioning was not cold enough and jacuzzi jets did not work in our room. Breakfast was supposed to start at 6:30am but they did not open until 6:50am on our checkout day. This put us in a rush and behind on our scheduled departure.

Good buffets and really enjoyed the Italian and Mexican specialty restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean and spacious. We enjoyed the kayaking, snorkeling and the Segway tour. We like all-inclusive resorts and this is now added to our favorites.

• Junior Suite (3 Adults + 1 Child)

The food wasn’t great

Food wAs okay but all a bit the same regardless of restaurant. . No vegetarian options just vegetables-

Wonderful staff

• Junior Suite ( 2 Adults + 2 Children)

The beach was very dirty like mud on the water

Almost everything is perfect

The staff were excellent

One of the main restaurant is closed during the time

I my view, it was a wonderful stay.

Pool n poolside service, beach bed overlooking the water.

biting insects

pool

I did not like the Asian food. Everything else was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Deal of the Day

Small restraurants making people wait. Significant issue not resolved adiquately.

Rivers.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Linda playa

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Natural Park attached and activities associated. Very natural, quiet environment.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

Everything. The service was bad, the food was horrible. They had no sense of hospitality and it was very expensive.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Nature park was amazing, we loved getting into the cenote for a swim. Overall great experience!

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

There weren't a lot of places or options for food within the Hotel

Rooms were great and hotel was eco-friendly

• Reviewed: 4 March 2016

Next time we will request a better view since the resort is so close to the ocean. We were moved without charge to the jungle side where we could at least see above the trees. We spent very little time in the room anyway since we tried to spend time at the beach and pool area. Definitely will get back to Playa del Carmen for shopping. It rained hard the day we were there. Can't think of much I didn't like...I wasn't expecting much since we chose this resort after spending several days in Cancun for a family wedding at a gigantic casino-like resort. Our visit here was supposed to be "downsizing". However, I was pleasantly surprised at the "natural" tropical beauty, excellent service, relaxing beach, beautiful pools, delicious food and hospitality at Hacienda Tres Rios.

Rooms were nice and big for our needs. Great to have the toilet and shower at separate areas in the bathroom which allows for more privacy. Beds were very comfortable. The food was excellent at both the buffets and restaurants. The cocktails and tropical drinks were fantastic. Great margaritas! Loved the free kayaking down the jungle river and swimming in the cenote (sink hole). Also, the adult beach area was beautiful. You can actually swim in the ocean bays and see what's below you! Loved the fiesta-style lunch buffet right on the beach, paella and all. The staff were excellent and super friendly, including room-service needs for anything came immediately. We liked the rustic and real tropical ambiance of the resort after staying in Cancun at a facility that looked like Las Vegas. Hacienda Tres Rios is beautiful and relaxing for those who need "rest" but offers great entertainment and fun activities for those who want more excitement. The taxi service was immediate for those that want to visit the surrounding towns and villages. Definitely worth the trip to Chichen Itza by tour bus. Also had fun during the hotel's casino night using "play" money with prizes. Taught my daughter how to play Black-Jack. Great fun! The Michael Jackson show was excellent! We missed it at the other hotel in Cancun. It was very hard for me not to get up and dance with the impersonator on stage!!

• Reviewed: 22 February 2016

Very poor concierge service, even we had private concierge, he never contacted us, and we had problems with the restaurants reservation

Great staff from the animation: Andres, Alehandra, Silvestro making drinks at the family pool, lady from burgers and man making great omelets at the breakfast

• Reviewed: 23 January 2016

the only thing we didn't like is the disco music in the beach and swimming pool areas, this would go on for many hours since 11am and there was no way to get away from it as it was very loud. We don't think the music was necessary at all and certainly it doesn't add any value.

Very nice staff always looking after you. Many activities to do in the resort and beautiful swimming pools. The mangrove is impressive and it's so good that they look well after preserving natural resources. We loved the food and it's presentation. We had a jacuzzi in our terrace and this was a really cool touch.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2015

Nothing really. The beach has issues with seaweed decay and odor, but this comes with the territory. We were there during a rainy period, but we had a car and plenty to do without spending our time on the beach.

A very pleasant experience with beautiful grounds, facilities, accommodations, and food. The staff are very helpful, responsive, professional, and polite. We enjoyed our three days here. We tried several restaurants and were pleased with all.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

not a good view from room. would prefer an ocean view room

the locations of the pools, and the bar grill

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

Food

Everything except the food.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2015

Being located next to rios, the beach is covered in mud. The food quality and variety is pretty poor.

Rooms are spacious and neat.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2015

Excellent buffet, really nice room and super friendly staff, we really enjoyed our stay there!

There are also 14 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hacienda Tres Rios Resort Spa & Nature Park - All Inclusive traveller photo gallery