Reviews of Hotel San Francisco Plaza 4 stars

Degollado 267, 44100 Guadalajara, Mexico

#103 of 166 hotels in Guadalajara

The place is dirty!

It was the dirtiest hotel we ever seen. My baby's legs got black just a second after crawling on the floor in our room. We asked to change a room and the options where either stink of cigarettes or even dirtiest. We didn't have hot water until we asked the stuff to turn it on. The breakfast doesn't worth the value. The neigborhood is not friendly for toyriats, very poor area.

The building was beutiful.

Friendly staff.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Not as clean as I expect, really old towels, we asked for an iron and they have only one for the whole hotel, so I have to wait a lot to have it. Close to dowtown but not in a nice area.

Friendly staff.

I’d definitely stay here again.
    • Standard King Room

The didn’t love the layout of the bathroom. It was hard not to get water everywhere while showering. But that’s a small issue.

The staff was very friendly. Room service was awesome. Overall it was a clean and comfortable stay.

Inexpensive restaurant.

There is a lot of walking to get to upstairs rooms, especially if you use the elevator. Not a good area to walk around in later at night, though there is a significance police presence.

Inexpensive restaurant. Elegant colonial style with a courtyard. Good value.

Very affordable to stay, great location for sight seeing and lots of food options

Right outside the hotel was nothing. A lot of closed businesses with graffiti.

The location is great because its innthe heart of downtown. You can walk every where. The food and snacks are all near by. The shops are huge and a lot to bring back home. The hotel had a lot of cmmexican culture which I loved. It's not luxurious hotel so mot many amenities available.

Quick overnight stay to fly out in morning.
    • Standard King Room

Cleanliness and upkeep of hotel needs improvement.

The architecture is great, needs some upkeeping tho. Walking distance to Gdl. centro for site seeing and shopping.

Really beautiful and extremely affordable.
    • Standard King Room

The water in the shower smelled liked sulfur but I do know that has to do more with the plumbing in the city in general. Still wish they could find a way to fix that.

Super amazing room. Big and I loved the windows to the courtyard. I still can't believe how cheap it was!

Great value and great location to explore Guadalajara.
    • Standard King Room

The hotel echoes a lot so you might hear people walking and talking.

Great location, comfortable hotel. They have a variety of types of rooms. Our party was made of up three couples and everyone's room was different. Some considerably larger than others.

Welcome 2018 stay!
    • Standard King Room

No hot shower on my first night, Receptionist told me that maintenance was working on it. It would be great if the Buffet breakfast would also include eggs served "Sunny side up" or omelette style.

I love the ambience, architecture, courtyards and cleanliness of the property. Located five blocks to town and three blocks to Calle 16 de Septiembre (Los 2 Templos). Also, Great Wifi signal!

A clean, updated room in a great location for seeing historic centro with uncomfortable beds.
    • Standard King Room

I booked a room with one king bed when I made the reservation. However, upon arrival we were shown to a room with two beds. After I 12+hr day of travel I didn't want to deal with it but in hindsight I wish I had. The two beds were TERRIBLE! On both you could feel metal springs coming through the mattress. It felt like sleeping on a box spring. Who knows, maybe we were? ;)

The hotel was very clean and in a lovely historic building.

Overall It was fine. A nice big old colonial building. Rooms clean and comfortable. Towels too thin.
    • Standard King Room

It was 3-4 blocks from center of city. At night I felt a bit uneasy walking alone as I was as you have to pass a few bars on way to hotel.

Room was large. Bed was comfortable. Quiet room except when construction started at 7 a.m one morning.

Very pleasant stay :) we would definitely stay again !
    • Standard King Room

This is a large historical building with semi outdoor courtyards with tile floors so the noise travels.

Huge bonus was the restaurant in the lobby. All staff were friendly and very helpful :) The bed was comfy and the extra blankets were nice.

I would recommend staying there, although wish they improve their customer service.
    • Standard King Room

Part of the staff that I saw is not what we called “sufficient customer service” they are not very helpfull and somethimes even seem to be mean. Price of the breakfast (need to pay extra) definitely to high 100pesos - in walkable distance you can find many places where you can eat better and for the modest price.

Hotel is big, beautiful colonial building with great patio. Although people from Guadalajara say that the district is “feito” - which means it is a bad neighbourhood nothing bad has happened - it is very close to the catedral square, it is a really city center - even at night there are a lot of people crossing the streets - so I haven’t felt unsafe at any time. Veeery close from the hotel there are bus stops that can get u to the Tlaquepaque or other interesting points of the city for 7/12pesos.

The building was kind of neat - it has a couple of interior...
    • Standard King Room

On the downside, and a small thing, the pillows were very dense and firm.

The building was kind of neat - it has a couple of interior courtyards that the rooms open on to. It is in the historic part of town and a short walk to the huge mercado. Our cab driver told us the area was dangerous at night, but we sat out in the little park in front of the hotel at night and were not bothered by anyone.

This old world hotel is really beautiful inside.

The internet continues to be a challenge in this hotel. Older building and multiple levels I guess create challenges. The internet on my phone seemed to work well but on my laptop it was hit or miss and very frustrating. Friday night there someone was doing some kind of work after 10 p.m. with pounding and drilling. Not the best for trying to get to sleep.

This old world hotel is really beautiful inside. Great areas for relaxing in the lobby area. Bird cages with a variety of birds to watch. They are remodeling rooms and my room, 105, was very large with all new tile, lighting and outlets.

Grumpy personal, no refund. Avoid it.
    • Standard King Room

Room was dirty, no chances to see room beforehands. We declined staying and asked for our money back, straight refusal from the very grumpy lobby attendant. the hotel building is also in complete reconstruction so expect noise and annoyances..

Not a 4* hotel

The rooms were unclean and the only thing that functioned properly was the lights. The breakfast was terrible, there are bird cages where you eat which stink. This is not a 4 star hotel.

The courtyards outside of the rooms look nice.

i book for 2 days through bookings but only could stay for...
    • Standard King Room

attention.. i had to ask about the internet.. later ask for a control for the air conditioner both i feel should have come naturally.. i have stayed many times in this hotel.. good location for me..

i book for 2 days through bookings but only could stay for one.. i think i paid a different rate over 700 p

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Relatively close to Centre and great shopping!

Not a good neighbourhood to be walking around in at night. Called the red zone whatever that means.

The morning Buffet Breakfast was very very good. Loved the fresh fruit and fresh omelet & unlimited good coffee!!!

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Watch out on Saturday night!
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Extremely noisy on Saturday night until 3 am with a night club right across the way. Asked for a room away from the street side and was shown a dark hole next to the lobby. They have 100 plus rooms... I think he could have helped us out. Instead we were told that on Sunday it would be quiet. Music went on to midnight from another nearby club.

The hotel itself is nice and appears recently remodeled in fact some areas were still in progress. Very clean and most of the staff were very very nice.

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Bad wifi but still a good deal.
    • Standard Quadruple Room

The beds weren't the best. Bad wifi, very hard to maintain a decent connection. But still a really good deal.

The location was excellent, right by the Teatro Degollado. Staff was extremely helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Our room was not clean.
    • Standard King Room

Not clean. Staff not that friendly. We were booked for 3 nights but are leaving after 2 nights.

Our room was not clean. The hotel is rather run down. The best part is that you can sit on a patio on the roof.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

ok location
    • Standard Triple Room

no windows in the room. It was a bit cold too. People were listening music very loud and partying in the courtyard at 2 am in the morning. Sheets were not clean. No hair dryer in the room we didnt get one even we asked for one.

ok location

Great location but needs a face lift.
    • Standard King Room

Shower has a half a door so the water runs out of the shower onto the floor in the bathroom.They are trying there best to modernize the hotel as for us we would probably stay there once all the renovations are done.Still a good value for your money.

We have stayed many years at this hotel and like the location.They are doing some remodeling which it does need badly.We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was good as well as our waitress Betty who has been there forever super nice lady.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Standard King Room

The hotel is realy noisy. The bathroom was old and there was a cockroach in there.

The location was good. The staff was lovely and helped me to choose my day trip at tequila.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

I emailed the hotel to advise them that I would be late...
    • Standard King Room

I emailed the hotel to advise them that I would be late arriving (8 pm)at the hotel,,,my original had said that I would be arriving by 6pm They emailed me back and said that it wasn't guaranteed after 6 pm and that they would cancel me at that time.... I had to telephone them the next day to confirm that they would hold the room for me..and they agreed..but no later than 8pm...they already had my credit card number...I fail to see how this was appropriate behaviour on their part...I contacted them just as a courtesy...It almost made me cancel my trip to Guadalajara..because it is high season and all the hotels were booked.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

the air conditioner and the location
    • Standard Triple Room

the rooms were usually not done before 2, the cleaning people probably just did the beds and cleaned the shower so overall the room was dusty, and since we got there, there was a dead roach by the window through out our stay. also when we got there we had no hot water in the sink.

the air conditioner and the location

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Beautiful ambiance close to City Center
    • Standard King Room

The closet had a couple small cockroaches in it. The TV had poor reception.

I liked the furnishings and the comfort of the bed. The gentlemen behind the desk were very nice and helpful as was the bell hop.

Great value for the money in the historic district.
    • Standard King Room

Great location. Traditional courtyard. Old world charm. Really good breakfast buffet.

Cleanliness, close to the center of town, very pretty lobby,...
    • Standard King Room

All the bars around it, all the construction and detours.

Cleanliness, close to the center of town, very pretty lobby, filtered water in the lobby.

I always stay at this Hotel in GDL so I am alway pleased.
    • Standard King Room

Weekend lots of noise due to young travelers.

The staff and location is wonderful.

Got sick from food at breakfast.
    • Standard King Room

Got sick from food at breakfast. Still have diarrhea. Waiting for results from doctor.

Location was great
    • Standard King Room

The building shook everytime a truck or bus passed by, which was very often.

Location was great

Great location, great value but needs attention.
    • Standard King Room

Staff unable to provide any tourist information. Hotel could have been cleaner.

Location and value for money.

Classy hotel

Building itself very nice

Pleasant

Maybe the room need a heat for cold weather

I like the room and the easy access to the local restaurants and shopping centers

We stay here every year.
    • Standard King Room

We stay here every year. We love it. Our son is now 5 and he always loves talking to the birds in the courtyard.

----- I will be back ! ----
    • Standard King Room

I was surprised how nice the hotel was , the location is great and it is on a small plaza so there is no traffic noise .

I will recommend it. Good location everything close. The hotel is great. And the staff are excellen.

The place was. Great the staff was. Really good. And the room excellent...

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

good location
    • Standard Quadruple Room

Hotel in midst of renovations

Newly renovated. The front desk staff were so helpful & friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

very happy with everything

nothing really

pretty well everthing

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

great value for money, friendly staff, good location
    • Standard King Room

no hairdryer in the whole hotel

everything

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

I really enjoyed my stay here, a classic hotel. You will feel living one century earlier.
    • Standard King Room

The staffs were very nice. The Mexican breakfast was very delicious, they had one of the best coffee in town.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Good value for an interesting place to stay

Front desk people never smile.

Walking distance of Centro Historico. Rooms are clean, good size , beautiful ancient furniture.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

Step back in time
    • Standard Quadruple Room

If room is on street side can be noisy

Beautiful colonial building with many courtyards. Staff are wonderful especially the bellboys or men.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

Great . Just what I need it, Clean and easy place

All good

Great Location. You get what you pay

• Reviewed: 11 April 2016

The building is amazing althoug it is old and hence it...

The rooms are very aged and are in desperate need of renovation. Bathroom was moldy and the vibrations from traffic was a bir annoying. Day reception staff was not friendly. However, night reception staff was pretry good.

The building is amazing althoug it is old and hence it vibrates with traffic. The inner patios are fantastic. The fountains are beautiful, but they make a noise (water and pump), so not ideal for late sleepers.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2016

I really like the hotel, the location , the room and ...

The only thing is the bed was really hard.

I really like the hotel, the location , the room and one thing that I like is that they serve breakfast in the court yard beatiful !

• Reviewed: 26 February 2016

We loved the convenience of the hotel being central to the...

The building had a lot of architectural interest but could be updated in places where the building was deteriorating such as the bathroom vanities. Wall Painting could be more exact with less drips and the central courtyard needed a basic wash down.

We loved the convenience of the hotel being central to the old downtown district. The building itself had a lot of history and some very interesting architecture. Our room was clean and the leather seating in the courtyard was nice, as that is where the computer WiFi worked the best. I liked the fountain and the birds in their cages.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

Our room was great.

First room was moldy. They moved us into an excellent room. Pillows to big but I did bring my own.

Our room was great. The staff were wonderful. Good location.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2016

Staff was pretty welcome and nice.

No hot water at all in the shower. No power for water. Very cold in the room and no way to make warmer (no heater and the door has ventilation holes in it right to the street, which you can not close).

Staff was pretty welcome and nice. Very good location 5 minutes walk to most beautiful places of Centro

• Reviewed: 12 February 2016

This is a nice older hotel with a personable staff and good...

There was a small leak from the toilet that kept the bathroom floor wet. We didn't complain so don't know what the response would have been but we liked our room.

This is a nice older hotel with a personable staff and good location. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone. They have a good restaurant and serve an excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2016

It's located in the center of the historical section of...

The hotel is definitely in need of updating and maintenance. At one time it would have been a palace. The beds are too soft, an unusual thing for Mexico where' it's usually the exact opposite. They will give you a front street room if it's available. These are very large rooms, huge, with french doors opening out on to balconies. They are really nice, but don't do it if you are a light sleeper!!! The traffic noise is unbearable, the noise from the bar across the street is unbearable, and being serenaded by some street person at four in the morning isn't much fun. I considered throwing a shoe at him. After one night I requested another room and was happy for the rest of my two week stay

It's located in the center of the historical section of Guadalajara. The staff, especially the front desk staff, are exceptionally pleasant. All of the front desk staff spoke very good English. A good cooked breakfast is available as well as a hot buffet in the morning. I only tried the breakfast so I can't speak to lunch and dinner. The rooms are very spacious! Arena Coliseo is within a short walk if you want to attend a Lucha Libre (Masked Mexican Wrestling) show. I love Lucha Libre and it's one of the reasons I chose this hotel. The front desk atrium fountains and caged birds are really charming with it's wide open space and colonial atmosphere, Parking is off-site by about a block at a neighboring hotel's lot. It can accommodate large vehicles. I was driving my full size Bronco. The lot is attended 24 hours a day and is safe.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2016

Nice hotel, good location and good value for your money.

I asked for a quiet room, but we got a room with windows to the street and it was quite noisy. We were also forced to keep the window open because the room had a very strong disinfect smell when we first went in but luckily it didn't give me a headache. Wi-fi was iffy. Overall was mighty pleased with the place.

Nice hotel, good location and good value for your money. I loved the style of the hotel, all the tiles and plants; very beautiful. Extremely beautiful courtyards to relax in. They had good buffet breakfast and the restaurant had good food as well. Staff was great, friendly and helpful. This isn't a luxury hotel by any means, but we liked it.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2016

With some work, this could be a lovely hotel.

My bathroom floor was soaked, the toilet tank was only half full and did not flush properly. One of the staff asked me too many personal questions and was too too friendly, inappropriately so. They offered to change my room but I chose to change hotels.

With some work, this could be a lovely hotel. The restaurant staff was good.

• Reviewed: 2 January 2016

Big room, nice building, location is in the historic place

Far from from the nicest places of GDL, traffic to move from historic zone. No internet in all rooms

Big room, nice building, location is in the historic place

• Reviewed: 20 December 2015

I love everything about this hotel except no wifi in the...

No wifi in the room. I had to spend way too much time in the lobby.

I love everything about this hotel except no wifi in the room. The location is ideal, it's historic and quiet, the staff is great, the restaurant is good and not too expensive, close to everything.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

The hotel is in a wonderful old building, one that reminds...

Make sure you don't get one of the windowless rooms. We were first given one such room, but changed rooms the next day and the staff was very accommodating. The building is old, and so unavoidably some maintenance is always being done.

The hotel is in a wonderful old building, one that reminds you of the past. With statutes and green plants in the foyer and hallways, it gives you a splendid taste of the old world. The location is fantastic, the breakfast that is offered tasty and fulfilling, and the staff is friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2015

Location was great, easy walking to historic.

Facility is very old. Showers have only a trickle of water. We had to change rooms because toilet kept backing up. Our friends had same problem with theirs. Bathrooms really need updating. Overall, probably would not return here but for the $ it was ok.

Location was great, easy walking to historic. Quiet street. When we had issue with toilet, staff moved us immediately. Common areas are very nice and decorated well.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

The courtyard is, indeed, relaxing and attractive.

As others have posted, the wifi is terrible. After about 8 in the morning, it is slow. After 9 p. m. it is useless, even in the lobby. The hot water tap in my bathroom leaked and pressure was low. Shower ran hot and cold without touching anything.

The courtyard is, indeed, relaxing and attractive. Rooms are spacious and, although the immediate area is a bit shady, it is well located to the major sites and action.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2015

The location was very good.

The water pressure of the shower was practically non-existent. It was noisy at times, sometimes street noise, which couldn't be avoided, but sometimes noise from partiers who were coming into the hotel at very late/early hours. I thought it was a little pricey, at least for Mexico.

The location was very good. The staff was attentive and friendly.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

Beautiful interior and nice big bed in a nice room.

The drains were old so when it rained, they smelt and tiny cockroaches came up to wander about. Also the room was SO noisy with every sound from the lobby and restaurant bouncing about all day and night.

Beautiful interior and nice big bed in a nice room. The bedroom was lovely and clean and, we felt, good value for what we paid.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2015

Location was convenient to the historic district and the...

The front desk staff seemed to be uninterested in assisting guests.

Location was convenient to the historic district and the housekeeping staff were quite friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

6.0
    I was happy with the internet connection, and the exterior...

I was very unhappy with the first room they gave me (dirty bathtub) and then with the size (miniscule) and smell (overpowering cleaner) of the second room but then they gave me a very nice room. Wondered why I had to push for it/

I was happy with the internet connection, and the exterior and the lobby are quite pretty

• Reviewed: 24 March 2015

Apart from the hotel looking amazing, what I appreciated the...

I stayed in room 205, lovely room but wifi reception was not that great. However the hotel had many lounges with great wifi.

Apart from the hotel looking amazing, what I appreciated the most during my stay was the nice and very helpful staff. Abraham at reception can sort out everything for you (which is very helpful when youre a non-soanish speaker like myself).

• Reviewed: 6 March 2015

The hotel lobby and dining room were beautiful and were full...

You had to go to the lobby for WiFi. The food was not very good. You had to know which direction to head out from the hotel, as it was close to the good and the bad of Guadalajara. La Cucaracha.

The hotel lobby and dining room were beautiful and were full of the sounds of birds and fountains. The staff were helpful and one waitress, in particular, was a bundle of warmth. The location was only about a block away from Historico Centro.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2015

Attentive staff, indoor patios with parakeets and plants and...

Wi-fi was very slow. At about 5 pm it was virtually unusable, perhaps because many others were online as well?

Attentive staff, indoor patios with parakeets and plants and places to sit. Dining room with real linen tablecloths, nice breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

Staff was very helpful and friendly.

Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: 8 May 2016

Staff was especially helpful and friendly

Staff was especially helpful and friendly

• Reviewed: 7 April 2016

Staff extra helpfull

WifFi often overloaded

Staff extra helpfull

• Reviewed: 17 March 2016

I have reviewed this one previously.

I have reviewed this one previously.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2016

Beds are hard and pillows lumpy

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Towels were not clean bathroom is a mess when shower is used breakfast was poor and low service quality

• Reviewed: 9 February 2016

Abraham, dining staff, comfy bed

Room 208. You know how noisy it is already.

Abraham, dining staff, comfy bed

There are also 30 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel San Francisco Plaza traveller photo gallery