Reviews of Sandos Caracol Eco Resort All Inclusive 5 stars

Carretera Cancún Chetumal Km 295, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Mexico

#115 of 191 hotels in Playa del Carmen

6.2

Lovely experience but needs a bit more of a luxury feel in some areas - esp the room.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

Room was rather tired and I underestimated the amount of mosquitos - I asked for the room to be sprayed twice but it wasn’t. Check in time took over 90 minutes and I still got the wrong room - the staff changes over 3 times in the process of checking me in so had to keep repeating myself. We also had to sacrifice the hot tub for a twin room even though this was requested.

Loved the wildlife and the adults only areas - especially the beach area. The food was remarkably good quality and the staff are amazing.

I would not stay there again.
    • Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 3 Children)

The service was not good. The property is not clean at all. The beach was a bust, there is rocks, it was not the beach that you expect going to Cancun. Also the goodbyes was ok. The worst thing is that none of the air conditioners work in the restaurant so you go to eat and you are sweating like hell.

I like the size of the rooms whe have 3 kids so the suite was perfect.

Discrimination
    • Standard Room (3 Adults + 1 child)

DISCRIMINATION to Mexican People Tourist. If you speak English the WORKERS treat you very good but if you Speak Spanish they treat you like trash it should be equally teach them to treat everybody equal. I am Mexican and I felt very disappointed. Rosalia Dzunja.

The insallations, the water park and the FOOD.

Bottom line 6/10: The grounds are great, the facilities...
    • Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Bottom line 6/10: The grounds are great, the facilities are decent, the concept is good but unfortunately the execution is very poor. Let me provide some details to inform your decision: Room 8/10: Stayed in Superior Eco Suite with pool on the patio. Great room, large and perfect for a family of 4-5. A real highlight of the trip since we spent more time in the room due to weather. All Inclusive Quality (Drinks, Food and in room service) 4/10: Drinks 3/10: Management has made a clear and conscious decision to completely cheap out on drinks. ALL Drinks/Beer are horrible, champagne is drinkable, however good luck finding cold bottles. Quality of liquor is horrible, all tropical cocktails have no real fruit, all artificially flavored, imagine jolly rancher flavored drinks. Beer is flat and often not cold, canned beers are even flatish due to poor storage and temp control. Even simple cocktails (Rum and coke, Bloody mary, margarita, Mojito) are undrinkable due to horrible mixers, sweetner and liquor. It is also stunning how, in a country where fruit is incredibly good and inexpensive, that the resorts won't make drinks with real fruit. Pool bar service is POOR. All drinks, fruit juices are filled with a sweetner that renders anything it touches undrinkable. Restuarant Food 5/10: Food is OK and I'm being generous here. The managment has made another conscious decision to completely cheap out on food. All buffets are practically the same. International buffet is the largest buffet with largest variety, Italian buffet is just a smaller version of the international buffet, Mexican buffet has the same food as others with an added taco/salsa station. Don't be fooled by theme nights - 80-90% of the buffet food is the same every night and in every location. Don't get fooled by the different colored desserts you see every day - they are all horrible and taste the same.

The food, the concept, the staff.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Everything was beautiful, amazing staff. Just at the end by the time of check out they didn't pay to much attention to help us move our luggage.

The food, the concept, the staff.

Family friendly, bike riding, walking and animal spotting.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The Brazilian was a little disappointing as it was not available for families until after 8. When we arrived, there was a wait of around 20 minutes. The meat was a little dry and not what we were expecting.

We loved the resorts natural habitat and wildlife. The staff were friendly, saying hola everytime they passed. The restaurants provided variation, we particularly liked the Mediterranean and the Italian. We would give particular compliments to Fernando who was always cheerful and helpful.

Beautiful Resort!
    • Signature Eco Superior

Being informed about the club membership on arrival. I think it will be better to do this in a different way/time.

Friendly Staff (Special thanks to Karen - front desk, Carlos & Angel - Italian Restaurant, Daniel - Main Buffet. Above mentioned did an exceptional job. Thanks. Great Food - A lot of options & taste wonderful. Beautiful “Forest/Jungle”

Great value--high reviews for a family vacation
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The eco park was great especially if you have family--lots to do every day a new adventure. The water park was well maintained with a variety of slides for all ages. Food was very good to excellent--the Brazillian and the Mediteranean were our favorites.

Disappointing !!

Service was terrible. It was not clean and rooms was very old and with very bad smell. I am not recommending this hotel to stay.

Only one thing was good, there were animals.

The nature part and all the extra activities included
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

We couldn’t have our friends stop by for a hour to see our room without them paying for a $100 day pass

The nature part and all the extra activities included

Ok resort, could advertise what’s on offer better. New rooms fab, old ones are dated. Ok experience.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

A large part of the resort is for elite and select members only, and these were ones which had good access to the beach whilst being able to sit by the bar. I had to go to a lot of effort to pay more to upgrade for day passes to these, as staff did not understand what I was asking for. Rooms at the back of resort were dated and my room smelt damp.

Staff were friendly and polite, restaurants were good and a good selection. Really liked the hidden gem which was the vegan restaurant by the beach (I’m not vegan).

Safe, clean, big, multiple pools
    • Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Tepanyaki restaurant full the rest of the week, private events in other restaurants so restaurant closed, or adults only evenings.

Safe, clean, big, multiple pools

Will never go back
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Food was definitely not up to par, same choices every day, if these were local restaurants we’d never go back, poor service at buffets, good service at sit down restaurants. Beach was terrible, rocky and dirty with a lot of weeds washed ashore, kids were afraid to swim there, pools were over crowded due to the this. Water park looks much better in the pictures than it actually is, 2 slides for bigger kids, there wasn’t even water running down them so the kids had to push themselves down the slide. In general, very few of the staff were friendly, all seemed to hate their jobs

Beds were comfy, room was recently remodeled

Our family enjoyed the variety of activities available at...
    • Signature Eco Superior (3 Adults + 1 Child)

Our family enjoyed the variety of activities available at Sandos Caracol. Beach, pools, water park, water sports, hiking, biking, snorkeling, live performances, etc. were all available without leaving the property.

Best hotel for an amazing price!
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

You still have Nutella! Don’t buy it, they are destroying Gorilas homes!

Being inside of the jungle! Location is amazing! You feel connected with the environment! Food is sooo goood! Available at all times! If you get the all inclusive drinks and food are literally all you can take. I would definitely go back and recomendable this to a friend and family. You should go and see for your self. PS: Don’t forget the Miskito repellent! 😉

Perfect for family & friendd
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 1 Child)

We are a family of three, with a 12 year old girl. We spent $2450 USD for 6 nights in signature superior suite with a king bed and a bunk bed. ==check in== We arrived at three, but couldn’t check in because the system was down. Many unhappy faces because of that. We kept checking back every 30 mins but wasn't check in until 5:30. Besides the delay, the whole process was pretty smooth. Staff is friendly and speaks good English. Here is an after thought: if you encounter the same, just go explore: to the beach, learn the map, go eat in the buffet or drink in the bar. Just don’t waste your time waiting around or checking back every 30mins. Start exploring already, there’s so much to do here! ==Tips about activities and fun stuffs== - Sandos Caracol is perfect for family. You will find plenty of things to do/explore: Observe turtles in the river, spot a band of Coati, check out the animal area, go chat with a parakeet, find the Mayan ruins, ride the bike, do the water slides, etc. - The ocean is packed with algae and with algae, comes gnats. If you are looking for a perfect beach vacation, the shoreline might disappoint you. -Rocky beach. Bring water shoes unless you have thick skin on your feet. -There is a dive shop on site. You can check out boogie boards and stuff. We thought about kayaking but the ocean waves have been rough and it has been very windy. -We did animal handler and jade river snorkeling. Let’s be fair, if you have little ones, by all means, sign up for animal handler. However, jade river exploring is a must! We saw turtles and got to hold them. So fun! Little ones can do it too. We would do it again! This activity tends to fill up quick so, sign up! - Cenote snorkeling is good if you haven’t done one. We saw some big bottom feeder fishes. You can come here anytime or sign up at activity booth for guided snorkeling. Life vest and snorkel are provided. -They have scheduled pool activities and beach volleyballs.

Everyone was friendly, smiling, and super attentive to our...
    • Signature Eco Superior

Everyone was friendly, smiling, and super attentive to our needs. Our kids ages 6 and 7 enjoyed he Kids Club and already requesting to go back again later this year.

We went back because I loved it and last time I had a broken foot. My hubby just had hip replacement
    • Signature Eco Superior

I spent 2 days packing and in packing til we got to the gnasty room that I wanted to go home. Ricko assured me they would clean it. And it was somewhat clean

The drive to the resort with a lot of garbage with in the area. Talking beer cans cigg butts. It was horrible

Very nice resort grounds in the jungle.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

Mosquitos! Bring bug repellent. Food allergies were catered to, however you must watch yourself and be specific in each restaurant. Trust your gut. In the Japanese restaurant they did not know/remember that soy sauce contains wheat. Once I mentioned it to the chef a second time, they were apologetic and prepared me a special meal in the kitchen. The buffet was practically impossible without getting a chef from the kitchen to confirm every dish.

Very nice resort grounds in the jungle. Several nice restaurants, and many pool options for every traveler. Onsite doctor was expensive but very convenient.

Very enjoyable.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub

The check-in was very inefficient and the wait too long. Otherwise this Resort was excellent.

This Resort has everything from beaches, to a variety of restaurants, to facilities for adults, families and children, to quiet strolls in the varied environment.

We had a great time and would recommend to other families.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The beach area is small and the water has a ton of coral so it's difficult to swim in the ocean. I'd say this was the most disappointing part of the resort.

For an all-inclusive resort, the food was pretty good. Rooms were clean and lots of options for the kids.

The place is so beautiful and my son enjoy feeding the...
    • Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

So we really loved the resort but it was a real problem of communication with the staff, our room was not clean and we ask 5 times to clean it and it took 2 days before someone came to clean it. We had to go to the front desk every time to ask for someone to come clean and they are very nice and helpful but every time nobody came, finally after the 3 day they came and brought us also the robe who was missing and towels. Also be very careful around the pool there is some very sliding area and my son fall two times , it should be all done for not too fall I don’t really know why it’s like this. It could be improved easily just put some not sliding materials around the pools.

The place is so beautiful and my son enjoy feeding the monkey and peacock, the pool and beach was so pretty and our room was very spacious. We have a baby sitter every night karina and Debora they was so nice and care for our son. Overall we really loved it

I won't be back and will spend my time and money elsewhere
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

Let's start with the "Eco friendly" part of the resort. There was SO much chlorine in the water for showers, they did not wash the glasses, just rinsed them for another use, lip and finger prints on them when we checked into our room. The used a chemical fog to repel the mosquitos in the woods, but ask for a straw and they will tell you it's not eco-friendly. We lost water in our room, the whole place smelled like sewage. Dried gum stuck to the floor of our room, broken sink that leaked everywhere, the sewage smell and paint fumes were sickening. The bed was hard as a rock, I would just suggest sleeping on the floor. When they painted, there was wet paint all over, so you have t watch where you walk, you will either step on it or it drips on you. The rooms are not sound proof at all! You here everything, including the workers at 6:30 in the morning. And there is no place to get ice to bring back to your room, and when we did ask we were given such a hard time. I think this was a huge waste of money, I would highly suggest spending the extra couple of hundreds of dollars per night and go somewhere else. Not much beach to swim in, one small section that is full of rocks and the pools are only 4 feet deep and crowded beyond belief. We stayed at the Hard Rock and loved it there!

The food was good, there are monkeys and cats running around, they were cute.

The weather
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

I booked room with one king bed, my room was two queen beds. The shower in the bathroom sprays water everywhere, but not on your body, I couldn’t take a normal shower. The transportation services, “Seek and Go” was late, bought ways and on our way back to the airport we missed the flight. When I call them they told me that is my responsibility. If the shuttle wasn’t late 20min probably I will not miss my flight. Actually the driver didn’t show up, I was bagging another driver who was transporting a costumer to the resort.

The weather

A jack of all trades, but a master of none.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Don't be fooled by the number of empty attractions there, the list piles up but the utility from each one doesn't. It's great for a family for a short weekend, but given the choice Riverira Maya has a lot of attractions, so you're best checking those out during your stay there, rather than investing time in the empty ones the hotel offers. The cenote in the hotel can't be compared to the legendary cenotes in the region and I hope one wouldn't base their experience on that. Visit the Cenotes of Tulum, there is magic to be witnessed there. The food quality in the Buffett's is poor and weak. The Italian restaurant is good and worth a visit but a Mexican hotel that can't get Mexican right is disappointing.

Huge property, a lot to explore and for kids to do. Italian restaurant.

• Standard Room (2 Adults)

The thing I hate is their promotion for they membership at the time I checkin. It wastes me 20mins, they said they want to introduce the hotel to me and give me some gifts, and what a lie! They ask my credit card information at last of the promotion, this make us feel uncomfortable, and they ask me to come to the office again ( like my boss!) it's very pushing us! When we said we don't want to buy the membership, she became very angry and collect everything gave us and just leave! EXCUSE ME??! And they called me at the other early morning to wake us up for promotion!!!So we can only unplug the telephone in the next few days . What's wrong with Mexican tourism industry?! Everyone wants your money. Even though we already paid the expensive room fee. 8 restaurants almost serve the same food. The free drinks only contain low alcohol. The shower water is cold.

They have 8 restaurant , free bar , and private beach. Jungle, many facilities.

It was great to be with family, but this is the worst all inclusive I have ever been to.
    • Junior Suite with Hot Tub

The drinks, the food, the entertainment, the rooms, the value, the customer service.

The animals were cool. We did travel to the other Sandos on Cancun one day and it was WAY better.

Overall, I would stay again.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Cons: The food was usually luke warm if not cold (major no-no!) We had no water pressure the first 3 days and 2 of those days the staff was "working" on it. I spoke to 4 employees and it wasn't until I spoke very sternly to the manager that something got done. We also didn't have hot water, but I think that was a resort wide issue (lasted 3 days). They really try to get you to do the 90 minute timeshare tour...had I had more time I may have done it but nothing they offered me was worth 90+ minutes of my vacation time. I had already lost time dealing with the water issues. Check-in takes too long!! There is just tons of people coming and going, I wish they could stream-line that a little better and the guest services desk is not exactly a guest services desk- it is for the timeshare people, not for guests to make requests. The hot tub at the spa was not hot enough. I was nursing my son on the beach (covered) and the sunglass vendor made it a point to get my attention, give me the winky eyes, and some woo hoo sound. Really disrespectful! You can hear your neighbors outside your door, we had a few that wanted to hang out and have loud conversations, I had to ask them to be quiet (baby sleeping). Maybe a sign posted could help with that (or maybe not).

Pros: The property is really awesome and after a day or two, easy to navigate. I really love that they are eco -friendly. The water park for the kids was outstanding, it was in great shape, plenty of different areas for different ages and staff standing by. The beach is really nice and just a 5 minutes walk from the farthest room. My 10 yo son really liked the kids club. I only got to attend one show but I really enjoyed it and so did my 10 yo. All of staff were very pleasant, there were a lot of grounds workers and maint. personnel out working. The gym was nice, had everything you need for your workout. The beach was not saturated with vendors, maybe 2-3 and they were the same person so it wasn't overwhelming. The room was nice and updated, we got the king with bunk beads-my son really enjoyed it. The rooms were cleaned to standard and restocked daily. The property is close to town, so if you have a car you can run and get items you need as well as use a local laundry service. Did I say the beach was amazing!!

My friends, their families & us agreed, that we will not come back to this place.
    • Signature Eco Superior

The check in process was a horrible. We spent 2 hours on line and the explanation was that the hotel was full and one of the top managers resign. Communication between areas and management needs to be improved depending on who you ask it was the answer sometimes with conflicting information on business hours, open restaurants or rules. Room keys were a nightmare... because some of us did the check out the night before the access to our room was cancelled.

The facilities are excellent. For example; the "cenotes", pool, and restaurants.

Crap.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The check in and check out was AWFUL. Worst ever...2 hrs! The food was fairly poor...cafeteria, so what can you expect?! Apart from the landscape and the sun and lots of alcohol offered, the place was crap.

The surroundings were nice and the beach adequate

Something for everyone at this resort.

Entertainment was challenging if you don't speak Spanish. It did not keep our interest. We also did not like receiving a sales pitch to join the vacation club before we had even been to our room. Also the beach was just ok. Too much debris and no waves. This cannot be helped by the resort I understand, but if you want a great beach don't go here.

The accommodations exceeded my expectations. We were able to enjoy the beach and the jungle with all of the wildlife. The food choices were varied and good for the time we stayed. The staff was very helpful, but a little pushy to join the vacation club. We loved exploring the jungle walks and interacting with the monkeys. The water park was a hit for all of our kids.

A nice and entertaining family resort.
    • Signature Eco Superior

The main pool was crowded, it was hard to find chairs. The beach was disappointing. Beautiful sand, but it was rocky and seaweedy. You could wade out in places, but not play in the water. The spa needs a renovation. The massage room amd steam room were musty and dank. The nicer restaurants usually had about an hour wait, unless you arrived early.

The food was excellent and there were a variety of restaurants to choose from. The kids loved the water park. The entertainment was very good quality and enjoyed by the whole family. I liked the rustic atmosphere and jungle setting. It didn't feel like an over-built resort. It was neat to see all the wildlife. There was enough to do and see that kept us busy for a week.

Perfect way to avoid the pre-Christmas stress - would love to go back next year!
    • Standard Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There is a musty smell across much of the site, but I am sure this is because the property is in a jungle. Use fresh fruit juices in the cocktails - much better than corn syrup!

Staff were really friendly and helpful, facilities clean and food (choice & quality) excellent for all-inclusive.

vacation with family fun but would never go to this resort again.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The communication with staff was terrible because their English was very poor. Also the communication between Bookings and the resort is terrible and inconvenient because we had an issue with the price and couldn’t call Bookings and the resort wouldn’t or couldn’t call them to help resolve issue so I got overcharged for one of my units. The staff was less than helpful and just kept saying come back tomorrow or we charged you correctly. So be careful how you Book and take copies of receipts and don’t expect any service once you get there. We also sent a request to have our rooms next to eachother since I got 4 rooms with kids and grandparents. But we were no where near each other totally different buildings and far apart. We booked 8 months in advance too! Awful service! The beach is terrible rocks every where no swimming in the ocean unless you walk a mile down the beach. Very disappointed about that especially since it isn’t even good for snorkeling. The water slides have height restrictions so one of the kids couldn’t go on the big slides even though he was 10 because he was too short. So the kids only used the slides one day. The bugs are terrible and the kids got eaten alive. The smell was awful everywhere you walked and the cenote is full of moss and so many people swimming in it that it is hard to see the five bottom fish that swim there.

The food experiences were great but you had to eat early to get fresh food. The beds were comfortable but you had to be picky about which pillow because some were fluffy and some were rocks. The pools were fabulous.

Perfect place with kids
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Food in the most restaurants was a bit same, not a lot variaty. There was always quite a long line in the resecption. The humidity of the room.

It was very easy place with kids:animals,nice beach and pool and safe surrounding. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Average food but the nature within the hotel made up for it
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The smell of dampness and mold in the room. We actually changed room twice before settling-in in a room with no bad smell. My first night I kept waking up smelling the horrible smell, very unpleasant.

The hotel's jungle and petting zoo. The animals and cats. The nature, cenote and river. Easy access to beach.

The beach and pools were wonderful.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The food could have been better. Additionally, we had called the hotel prior to our arrival and explained that we were celebrating a special occasion, to which they offered to decorate our room, which was wonderful! However, we arrived to find that they didn't follow through on this.

The beach and pools were wonderful. Loved that this an eco resort and that there are animals all around.

More or less everything was perfect.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Always long lines to the front desk. Loads of people checking in/out all the time. Some general questions that concierge couldn't help with you had to wait in same line as people checking in just to ask. Bit frustrating.

More or less everything was perfect. Staff in general amazing and the facilites exceeded expectations. Restaurants/bars was value for the money and all inclusive was high standard.

• Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Part of the resort was blocked of due to construction.

Every day was a new adventure with the spider monkeys, Aquinas, snorkling just off the beach for free and all the other animals and activities.

Nice but check-in was a hassle
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Check-in was a nightmare and people where frustrated, arguing and upset. They need to be more organized and check people in and out faster. Also a lot of construction going on and we we're not able to really enjoy all of Sandos because of this.

The resort in itself was beautiful and had a nice jungle feel with animals through out. The food was also good. Would stay again.

Do not risk ruining your holiday with this place it's awful on so many levels.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Food was terrible and made everyone ill. The Mexican buffet wasn't bad but the international buffet was average at best. Nothing of high quality. The Japanese- meat was overcooked and too chewy to eat. The Italian- the portions were more of a starter size and everything came out cold. Out of 47 people attending a wedding 3 ended up in hospital and almost everyone else was sick at some point. Staff tried to blame it on the heat and alcohol consumption. A few of us had been travelling around Mexico and did not get ill before going to the resort and the children were not drinking! To be honest the quality of the alcohol meant most of us were not drinking a lot anyway. Cocktails were not made to a good standard. I doubt the staff have had any decent training. We tried to have laungry done 3 times but was not collected- resort did not provide a reason why. Tried to speak to staff about it but kept getting passed around and with the language barrier we eventually gave up. The hotel was falling apart. A sheet of glass fell from the ceiling narrowly missing two children from our party. The ceiling above another child's bed started falling down as well. In the wet weather the flooring was leathal. They need to put down anti slip mats to prevent people falling. A few of us fell with one breaking their wrist. Organised a taxi the night before a trip through the concierge. They said ok and I double checked it was understood and had been booked. Following day no taxi and they said they don't book taxis. There was no where to relax other than the bedrooms. The pools had reps shouting and/or really loud music. Even on the beach you could still hear the awful music (which was always rammed anyway). Not one hammock or quiet area.

The grounds of the resort were stunning with lots of (semi) wild animals.

A great place to go with a large group of varying ages.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Check in was the slowest of anywhere we have ever stayed. Some of our group had dirty dishes left in their rooms from previous guests and no water. There were a lot of mosquitoes in the rooms also.

The food was extremely well done for mass produced meals.

Loved the location, only a 10 minute cab to Playa.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

The beach as beautiful as it was, was very rocky. Just bring a pair of water shoes and you'll be fine. Didn't like every time you went to get a towel the guys would try and sell you a dive excursion.

Loved the location, only a 10 minute cab to Playa. The room was as pictured online, and our requests were actioned without any issues. Staff were fantastic. Loved the cenote at the resort, which you can snorkel in. Restaurants easily available.

Exceptional, not only resort but also full cultural program.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Just minor issues like lack of laundrette and small shower heads to wash children.

What a wonderful resort. We came there for Dia de los Muertos event and it was a blast. Hotel organized parade, food and drink stalls, decorations, music, attractions for children and cultural program. Im utterly impressed. It is located directly in the jungle yet standard of rooms and restaurants is exceptional. We loved Mexican buffet especially with live mariachi music, teppanyaki show is also something not to be missed. Also hard work of the whole staff is worth mentioning, from early morning to the late evening we were spotting them cleaning, organizng, waiting, always with the smile of their face.

• Standard Room (2 Adults)

Can't really say, because there was nothing I didn't like

I loved the jungle part and having the wildlife like monkeys, raccoons and birds just running through the resort. It was clean and staff was AWESOME!

• Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The beach smelled like sewer closer to the pool side of the resort. I am a nurse and have a pretty high tolerance to that smell but it was nauseating. The resort by the monkey trail near the tortuga pool also had a very strong sewer smell. My husband got a very bad case of diarrhea. He didn't drink any tap water but the first day we arrived it was raining badly. The roof in the restaurants were leaking all over and we think the food got contaminated that way. Also, the child side of the water park was closed without notice, which is the only reason why we booked this resort to begin with.

The staff were friendly and the resort was laid out well. Everything was pretty family friendly and laid back. The animals were a nice addition to the typical resort.

The resort facilites, the beaches.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

The room was very poor furnished, and a little bit out of date. In the resort are going several reconstruction works with very annoying noise, but the staff and the hotel does not inform about this.

The resort facilites, the beaches. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurants have a wide offer.

Was Fair
    • Standard Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I booked a room with 2 double beds, but got a room with 1 queen and pull out sofa. No privacy in the room especially the shower. Room was not suitable for a family of 4.

The animals on the property.

Nice resort overall, just a shame about the room!
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The room we stayed in was a double deluxe (sadly, not as luxurious as it sounds). The room was dark, outdated with damp on the walls and no mosquito shutter so we couldn't open the doors/windows to air the room out. We struggled to park the car on site a couple of times. The resort was a bit of a construction site during our stay which ruined the atmosphere.

We liked that there were 8 restaurants on site that each offered something different. We were spoilt for choice and the quality was pretty good! The staff in the restaurants were all extremely helpful and friendly. The entertainment programme offered something different each day and it was nice to use the spa facilities too!

Best vacation ever!
    • Eco Family Suite (3 Adults + 2 Children)

Management needs to imove the living conditions of the animals and the working conditions of their employees like for example the girl making the omelets at the Mexican restaurant didn't have a working fan or heat extractor

I love the fact that it was a kids club inside of the resort with lots of activities all included in the package. Also liked the sandos cocktail, and the he warmth of the hehe staff who made us feel home

A beautiful room nice staff great shows a beautiful beach too
    • Eco Family Suite (3 Adults + 2 Children)

The raccoons late night trying to get something to eat the mosquitoes were bad but long as you use repellent you'd be okay the room service who can be a little bit better if you want to your room at night you're wondering if you're going to see the crazy animals

A beautiful room nice staff great shows a beautiful beach too

Great Family Resort
    • Eco Family Suite (3 Adults + 2 Children)

Beach was rocky as you entered the water so bring swim shoes. Bonus is it keeps it from being overly busy.

Loved it! Animals on the property were great. Beach wasn't crowded, we always got chairs and we needed 5 of them together. Cenote is a must to cool off in the afternoons. Food was readily available ans were drinks.

Fabulous stay
    • Eco Family Suite (3 Adults + 2 Children)

The most fab setting a hotel could be ! All confort right in the middle of mangroves and lovely caribean beaches ! Plenty of activities for adults and kids ! Best all inclusive eesort we have ever stayed for families

Fun family/friends vacation.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Didn't like sweating while eating, but like I said, once you accepted it, no worries. I'm from Texas, so I am used to hot. The rack on the balcony to hang wet clothes on was broken for our room so we didn't have anywhere to hang wet suits to dry. That was a hassle, but something we figured out and overlooked. Also, the main pool gets pretty dirty mid day. This place is nice with many amenities. If you are looking to kick back and have a nice vacation with family/friends it's great. If you are looking for a place to be waited on hand and foot and be spoiled, this is not the place.

After reading reviews I was nervous but we had no problems. We did have to call maintenance twice and they were literally there within 5 minutes both times. Our mini fridge stayed stocked, the room was always clean, the grounds are kept clean. True, there is little AC around property but the AC in our room worked great and that's what matters. The restaurants were warm, but once I accepted I would just be warm while eating, it was fine. I just didn't get "glammed" up for dinners. We felt comfortable letting the kids (ranging ages 10-13) go in groups to walk around and we had walkie talkies that worked on the grounds. The beach was great for snorkeling; we brought our own masks so I don't know about the availability of theirs. The bikes were fun to have for use too. The welcome gift of champagne and fruit was a nice touch. We also enjoyed visiting Playacar sister resort to swim in the beach. We were approached by the time share folks, but once we said NO, they didn't bother us again. The Mexican Coffee in the Mexican buffet is amazing.

Our stay was pleasant and as far as a family friendly resort, this was very family friendly.
    • Junior Suite with Hot Tub (2 adults + 3 children)

room was just ok. Some of the shows were a little too much for our 4 year old, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Breakfast buffet was nice, huge variety and an omelette station which was great. Snack bar selection was ok and the pool was nice. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The on staff doctor there was also great. My son cut his foot open and she pointed us to the hospital to get it stitched up. the hospital was a private one and had really good facilities and treatment. We tried to eat at the steak place in the elite section but it had an hour wait. The hostess called the Brazilian steak restaurant hostess for us and after the long walk there, we had a table for ten waiting for us. This was very nice of both of the hostesses to do that for us. The wildlife all over the resort was fun to see and the kids loved all the Coatie. The waterpark in the resort was great for the kids and the slides were fun.

Over all experience was lovely.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

The standard of the rooms was not as expected. The shower does not drain due to bad tilting of the shower floor. There was no place to hang the shower utensils eg shampoo, lofa etc. The jacuzzi does not fully drain as well. The side snack bar on the swimming pool was lovely but only lasted for 1.5hrs and was for 1day only. The first aid personnel on the sea shore uses the same needle for all patients to remove sea thorns that people step on while in the sea. There should be CLEAR SIGNS to wear water shoes while in the water. A lot of people had there feet wounded.

Staff was very helpful and pleasant. Room service was good. Scenery was amazing.

Excellent basis for a family to appreciate Mexico
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

excellent holiday, so the 'didn't like' is not really impacting our experience but just some things that are good to know and might be improved. - mosquitos (especially around the Brazilian restaurant but also at other restaurants and bars) - front desk staff was not always very efficient, some were very nice but others could improve - the water in the main swimming pool could be better filtered - small malfunctions with toilet/sanitair

Excellent accommodation in a very natural environment with animal walking around. Also many (a-la-carte) restaurants to select from and many things were organized. The accommodation, beside the rooms, were the best ever experienced. The staff walking around, cleaning, serving, etc. was very friendly (does not apply for all front desk). The way how my issue with an ATM was resolved was also a very good example of true customer service

Was hoping for more
    • Eco Family Suite (3 Adults + 2 Children)

Pool bar was dirty, too many people. All of my family had a rash after a day at the pool. Customer service was terrible, didn't have the room we booked so they put us in a room that was substandard. They finally got us in the eco suites which is supposed to have 24 hour room service but we could never get them To answer the phone. The snack bar was missing burgers half the time.

Reataurants we're nice.

Good time with family and friends.
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

It's hot. The restaurants dont have AC and it was uncomfortable dining in buffets. But we enjoyed it regardless.

It was generally just fun. lots to do. We also enjoyed the sister property. The evening dining was great. The buffets were ok. Seeing all the wildlife was so great for the kids. Lots to explore. The bike path was closed and we were bummed about that because we couldn't see the Mayan temple/ruins on property. Entertainment for all ages.

FOOD WAS GOOD!
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

THE FRONT STAFF NEEDS TO BE BETTER TRAINED IN HOW TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE.

FOOD WAS GOOD! GREAT PLACE FOR FAMILY! BEACH NEEDS SOME TLC. STAFF WAS HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY!

Great place to spend the last days of your vacations in Mayan Riviera. After touring by Cozumel, etc
    • Standard Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The lunch buffet used to be much better 4 years ago. Restaurants sometime sis complicated to understand when are open (time/day, exclusive, adults only, etc.). Natural fruit drinks are not made with natural fruit, at least not as used to be. They try to sell you share time rooms and sometimes it bothers.

The place, activities, people.

Excellent for kids, many activities and they can expend time...
    • Royal Elite One Bedroom Suite (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Drinks were really bad, beach very rocky but you can go to the next sandos playacar and have a good time there. They have better food and drinks.

Excellent for kids, many activities and they can expend time with animals and nature. The Brazilian restaurant was good same for the tepanyaki

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The water park
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Lack of professionalism from the hotel personnel to the customers. I was charged $200.00 and I was informed at the time of check out, instead of being informed in advance of this extra charge. None of the staff personnel attempted to communicate this information during my stay in the hotel. During the check in, on June 11, Jorge (cashier in the front desk of the hotel) confirmed after calling Booking that children under 12 years old were exempt. During check out, on June 15, they made us pay $200.00, because supposedly this policy had changed. My daughter is just 7 years old, and I had to pay as if she were 12 or older.

The water park

This hotel has everything you need and is a haven for...

The beach

This hotel has everything you need and is a haven for families, with lots of activities for children and adults alike. The grounds are well maintained, the staff are very attentive, courteous and just seem genuinely happy to serve each guests. The only downside to Sandos Caracol is the beach; lots of seaweed and sharp rocks, however, you can use the facility at the sister resort in Playacar where the beach is absolutely spectacular. They also have a wider variety of food items on their menu.

😒😒
    • Deluxe with Hot Tub (2 Adults + 2 Children)

All inclusive restaurants were never opened. We tried to make reservations for the only restaurant we had too and couldn't until weird hours. I understand the property needs too accommodate everyone but this was just a big turn off. Ended up spending most of my time in Playa del Carmen were the food was great and I could eat at my own schedule.

Extremely clean. Staff goes out of there way to make you comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Never go back
    • Signature Eco Superior

No water pressure from shower, staff not eco trained yet, communication issues between staff members, trying to sale you stuff without knowing all the facts scam artists, if you have kids certain restaurants are only available after 8:00 pm, mosquitoes get in room easily, sewer gases in bathrooms not vented right, our stuff was taken from pool area wven tho we were in pool-they said it was unattended(because we were in pool) no asking who's, roped off pool while people were in it because someone pooped in it but didn't tell the people what was going on, be careful walking around and especially in the showers-very slippery even with tennis shoes, slides are rough on all backs- kids and adults/scratches

Plenty of activities to do with family, food staff was excellent, great bed and ac

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Has Potential-Beautiful Property but beware of food borne illness
    • Signature Eco Superior (2 Adults + 2 Children)

4 of 8 of our family got extreme food poisoning. For this reason alone we will not be back. Who cares how pretty the property is if you cannot get away from the toilet for three days? After conversations with other guests we were not the exception. This ruined our vacation. In addition the main swim up bar pool was nasty. I was picking toilet paper out of where I was standing and decided that was enough. Finally, while walking the grounds there was the random smell of sewage in areas, most notably near the Mexican restaurant. In short, this place was gorgeous and has POTENTIAL, but the general unsanitary conditions and improper food handling are not worth a return trip for us.

Lots of activities and the property was gorgeous. Night shows were fabulous, food was reasonable. My children really enjoyed the axtivities at the kids club. Loved the Eco theme and how we were able to interact with all of the wild animals on the resort. We went swimming one day at a 'secret' cenote which was a special memory.

Very disappointing, spend your money somewhere else
    • Standard Single Room

A lot, I won't go back ever: 1) Long lines at reception for check-in and check-out. Very inefficient process and understaffed. Under-staffing is a large problem across the entire resort. 2) Pool was dirty and way too small for the number of people in the resort 3) Public restrooms were generally dirty 4) The hotel beach has been affected by one of the hurricanes. You can't go in without water shoes due to the large number of sea urchins. Not a child friendly beach. 5) Ants on food in one of the outside snack restaurants 6) Finding dinner was a nightmare. We had to walk around and wait for 1.5 hour to find a place to eat in the evenings. The different à la carte restaurants would have a wait time of 1 hour, even though at least 10 tables were available. You also couldn't make reservations. It seemed like they tried to push people towards the terrible buffet restaurant. There were lines of 30 people waiting outside the restaurants, even though there was seating for 50 available (picture attached) 7) The dinners we did get after all the waiting was often burnt, from pizza to fried rice (picture attached) 8) Bar ran out of standard items quickly, from ice to popular cocktails like Piña coladas 9) Complaints about all of the above were not taken seriously, or even logged in the system; the next day nobody knew anything about our complaint 10) Other guests we spoke to had found a dead scorpion in their room

Size of the room was good, concept of the hotel with Mayan ruins and lots of nature (animals and cenotes) on the property

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Good and bad all in one.
    • Standard Room (2 Adults)

Check in was terrible. Took over an hour with only 8-10 people in front of us. Received email saying that genius member late check out was confirmed by the property, however when we went to check out they said our room had been allocated to someone else and we were not allowed late check out. I showed the email and the lady didn't want to know. She was adamant we couldn't leave later. She then said we could possibly have a late check out if we wanted to pay $140, even though I showed her the email saying no extra charge. Useless...

Food, beach, location.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

It was nice but I wouldn't stay again.
    • Deluxe Room with Hot Tub (2 Adults)

We were supposed to have a view of the pool or lagoon, instead our view was of the water slides. I was told only the elite members get a view of the beach and pool. There is no food service at the pool either. The check in and out service was bad!! Not enough staffing and they were all over the place

The staff in the buffets and restaurants were very accommodating and extremely nice

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

I will come again

The beach was very rockyoung, reservation desk was not too helpful.

The Staff was friendly and pleasant, the food was excellent, very convenient for a large family.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Sandos wanted to stoled our money

Accommodation ,I was overcharge ,stole from and got lock out of my room . because of mistakes made by receptionist

Entertainments,pools,and restAurants

Family of 4. We had a blast!
    • Eco Family Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

We like all the animals! It was a quite unique experience. My kids spent most of their stay on watching and interacting with all the animals in the resort. They absolutely loved it. Water sports were great and the coaches and assistants were really friendly and accommodating

Wonderful vacation at an amazing resort
    • Royal Elite One Bedroom Suite (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Long wait to get into select restaurants in resort. No free shuttles anywhere outside the resort. Taxis were expensive for a family of five. Wish snorkeling trips on boats were included as it was hard to swim on the beach in front of property. Very poor communication with Booking.com about our reservation prior to our stay. But once we got to the hotel everything worked out fine.

Room was great. Property was beautiful. Staff was very friendly. Plenty of food/drinks whenever you wanted. So much to do at the resort, so many activities for kids/family. Amazing yoga, bike tours, cenote swims, and evening shows. Staff really works hard to see that you have a great vacation.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Very nice place to walk around.
    • Royal Elite One Bedroom Suite (2 Adults)

The main dining room faculty was indifferent if you did not speak Spanish. There was only one person on the griddle in morning

Very nice place to walk around. Plenty to see. Pools were nice. Beach was very pretty and good for sunbathing, a bit challenging for swimming