Reviews of The Reef Playacar - All Inclusive 4 stars

Paseo Xaman-Ha Retorno Sayil Sin Numero, 77710 Playa del Carmen, Mexico

#88 of 191 hotels in Playa del Carmen

• Premium Room

I did not like that there was not specific trash cans for recycling and that people dont clean up after themselves on the beach. There should be some sort of sign about keeping the beaches/ocean clean, that should not be up to the staff to dig in the sand for peoples dirty water bottles/napkins, they work hard enough. I also didnt like that many people did not tip the staff, most people are not aware the staff makes minimum wage which is about $5.00 USD per day. There should be some information on when/what to tip appropriately.

Loved the staff, all bartenders, waiters and cleaning staff were extremely friendly and always helpful. Location was beautiful and pools were great too. The room was a standard size but super comfortable beds and very clean. The size of the hotel was perfect too, not to big and not to small. I would highly recommend The Reef.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Nothing - would recommend and return (and I know some places to return to!)

This was a very last minute holiday - and I could not fault The Reef. I wanted a diving holiday and I had the most awesome time at The Reef. The dive centre especially are most welcoming and cater for all abilities. I am an experienced diver and the team really went out of their way to tailor my diving to ocean (Reef and Cozumel) and inland cenotes. The Reef itself - I cannot fault. The rooms are nicely under woodland area and noise was never an issue - it was a peaceful retreat. Most welcoming for a SWF traveller. - integration of cultures and different people (single, families and couples). No loud children (I went in term time though - last week in May. Would thoroughly recommend. I stayed there 7nights, all inc ( would recommend upgrade band). Location is excellent, short walk into town. Safe.

• Standard Triple Room with Garden View

No wifi unless you pay for the premium package. This should not be the case for an all-inclusive resort vacation.

The garden! The hotel looks like it is situated inside of a jungle. Food was good, beach was clean. The rooms exceeded my expectation after reading some of the previous reviews. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Cost of Internet so we opted to just go off the grid for the 5 days and used WhatsApp for family contact. Forgot how wonderful getting away from emails and Facebook can be!!! As Americans we loved the fact that few Americans were there and so we got to use our Spanish (limited as it might be) and both meeting and people watching others from all over the world. We rented a car since the resort does not have an airport pick-up and got killed on the cost because of the insurance in Mexico!!!! We learned during our stay that was a huge mistake as we never really needed a car to get to different venues in the area (Xcaret, Tulum, etc.) For what we paid - on low end of insurance - we could have taken a 3rd adult with us!!!

The Italian and Mexican restaurants had gourmet dishes with wonderful servers. The dive shop was very accommodating and though we are scuba divers we opted to do their $39 snorkeling adventure which included a new set of gear, over the top boat and a nice little reef with a couple of turtles, stingray and lots of fish (not bad for a site close to shore and only 20 min. boat ride from resort)! As Americans we loved the fact that few Americans were there and so we got to use our Spanish (limited as it might be) and both meeting and people watching others from all over the world. Having free bikes at our disposable made the trip to the major shopping area in Playa del Carmen faster to get too, especially given the high humidity and heat of a May trip.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Menu selections in the restaurants could have been broader, selection pretty limited but the food we had was generally good to very good. When we booked we asked for a jungle view and king sized bed. We got double beds and our view from the balcony was of the parking lot where the vans and motor bikes were parked. Since we didn't spend a lot of downtime in the room it wasn't too big an issue, but we really weren't too happy about our lack of a decent view. Even with the premium upgrade we felt that the bartenders were often a bit stingy with the alcohol. We generally had to ask for premium liquor in our drinks even with the gold wrist bands (which are for premium upgrade customers). Once they got used to us asking they were generally forthcoming, but we shouldn't have had to ask.

Food at the buffett was decent, high average I'd say. Service was generally decent, staff was generally friendly. Mexican and Italian restaurants were good, service was very good. The Japanese restaurant at the CoCo Beach site (available to us with the premium upgrade) is one of the better Japanese restaurants we've ever eaten in. Chef was excellent and very entertaining, food was very good. Pools were nice, site is generally very attractive.

• Superior Room

Didn't realize there would be so many steps. I had trouble navigating them. Beds a little too hard. Staff not as helpful as other resorts due to lack of English speaking ability. Types of foods and food stations were hard to identify-labeling could have been done better. Not very good service at pool and worse at beach. First room we had was horrible - smelly and old. Second one was fine. No English TV channels.

Very nice small resort. Food was generally good. Property is pretty. The "tea" area was really great.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Wow - what a disappointment! The worst thing about this place by far was the food. I am just so pleased I only stayed there for 3 nights because I felt so unwell by the time I left. They really need to up their game, especially on the veggie front, I pretty much had to have a really boring salad for every meal. The service was also shockingly bad. The staff clearly had no interest in trying to make your stay enjoyable. Cocktails were thrown together, often missing key ingredients and one of the ladies on the front desk was just plain rude! The rooms are also very basic for a 4 star hotel. There was a horrid smell of bleach and wet dog (damp) combination so it wasn't a nice place to come back to after a day on the beach. They would also really benefit for a fly screen on the balcony doors to stop the mosquito's.

On the plus side, the beach here is really nice. Definitely the best bit! You can escape the racket of music constantly blaring from the poolside and it is generally a more peaceful vibe. Also, the grounds around the accommodation blocks are lovely. It has a really natural feel and looks beautiful lit up at night too.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

WiFi not included, had to pay and didn’t work. Loud music by pool. Food was too American. Horrible yellow cheese but no bacon at breakfast?? Rooms were dated and musty. Tour staff were too pushy.

There were some lovely double beach beds which were comfy and relaxing. The cocktails were good.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The roomservice. When we received the room, the Tv and the refrigerator didn't work, the bathroom had a broken pipe and the toilet paper was the cheapest and rough. We asked for more comfortable pillows but we didn't receive them.

The beach, swiming pool, the view and the inner gardens

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The waiter that takes the drinks to the beach was very rude and in 5 hours he only came once to ask if we needed anything... definitely didn’t feel the hospitality from the people in that area

Te staff in the restaurants are very kind...

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The buffet is OK, especially if you try some of the more exotic dishes.

A great resort set in a jungle atmosphere with beautiful walkways to the pools and beach. The staff were always attentive and polite. Would recommend.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Old equipment in bathroom, could hear my neighbor, wifi not working properly, cocktails made with really cheap also so didn't taste good. We paid a fortune so we expected more

Some staff were amazing

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Upgrade facilities were disappointing. Paid for nothing! Wifi is really bad. Less options for vegetarians.

Bars are great! Great drinks. Staff is extremely sweet.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The activities staff at the pool did a very poor job. They were there, however, they never approached anyone around the pool for activities. Most of the time, they stood around the towel area talking to each other. Very rarely did they visit with the guests. I am not even sure there were any activities to participate in. VERY disappointing.

We had a fabulous bartender named Huber. He provided amazing service and was always friendly.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The beds were very hard and unconformable and the young man that checked us in was the only unfriendly staff that we encountered.

The food of great and the staff very fun. The pool was a little small but the beach was great.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

That I was offered to stay at the CoCo beach hotel for a free 'upgrade' to premium (not worth it honestly) because of over booking which was a BIG MISTAKE. I would have rather payed the extra to stay here in Playacar instead of CoCo beach. The customer service at CoCo beach was horrible. I had 3, THREE!!!!!! broken mini fridges and spent Valentines night waiting for replacements which took forever! No urgency to resolve the matter and my first night was painful loss. I had to blast reviews via email and on facebook to even make a request to rectify my situation since they would not be proactive in making amends. At the end the manager finally had the guts to talk to me in person and offered a free crappy 30 minute massage for the troubles which I accepted just to not have to talk to him again. DO NOT STAY AT THE COCO BEACH LOCATION!!!

The beach! The beach here is REALLY nice compared to the crappy beach at the Reef CoCo beach location (CoCo beach is small and filled with boats making the beach in front of the hotel useless). Here at Playacar, the beach is big with white soft sand and jet skiing and other water activity rentals are right next door. The hotel itself is much cleaner and more modern in comparison to the old run down Reef CoCo beach. Food was good, not spectacular (for every 10 items I ate, 7 were good for me). Drinks were awesome. Staff is great.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

I felt the towels could be a bit nicer. The sheets/linens were ok, but I felt they could have been a bit more luxurious. In this day and age, WiFi should be included and available in rooms and on the property, without paying extra.

The room was clean, the bed was comfy. The property and landscaping are beautiful.

• Premium Room

I didn't like my room location it was so loud the Dj stand was right in front of our room so loud and distracting.

I liked how clean the facility the view was nice as well.

• Premium Room

Very mediocre food, never any cream, poor coffee. Pepper shakers plugged. Weird tasting frying oil used with most fried foods, e.g. eggs, meats etc.

Upstairs restaurants, above average. Lovely jungle like grounds and this year the water feature was cleaned up and no longer had such a lingering smell. Generally this facility is very clean and tidy.

Pretty expensive for the extras included in the package. And wifi not even included! Cost $7 USD a day. Hard to understand in 2018

Nice and clean private beach

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The staff was very noisy late at night and early morning pushing metal carts back and forth to restaurants and talking. Woke me up so I had to wear earplugs. Food at main restaurant was average and very salty. Upon arrival we were hit with a sales pitch to upgrade and view a new property.

The grounds are beautiful, beach is amazing and staff was very professional, helpful and friendly. Spa was nice. Great location, can walk to small nearby Mayan ruins, very close to Playa del Carmen.

See above

Everything was great except it it very noisy at time when trying to sleep in middle of the night - could have been property next door ! Could of had more restaurants to choose from but Other than that great

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Room was a little bit out of date,some times noisy in the evenings.

Nice hotel,room was clean and comfortable,staff was helpful,food was good and very nice beach.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

I booked for one person but in the end accommodation was for 2 people and thought I was grossly over charged for a 2nd person per night as it was the night before decision. I felt ripped off. Next time I book a hotel I will make sure I book for 2 people.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

I'm nitpicking here but bed could have been better. Needed a thicker blanket at night as the A/C was very cold even with the temp up and the fan off. Rooms near the pool tend to be a bit noisy. Dessert needed more variety (Basically had the same desserts on almost all 5 days) . Staff at front desk can be friendlier. Breakfast needs to start earlier than 7.30 as those going on excursions usually get picked up at 7 am

10/10 for the location. Lots of activities to do and a very short walk via the beach to the Ferry dock and downtown PDC. The beach near this hotel was amazing! The spread at breakfast was the best out of the 3 meals. The dance shows at night were really good too! Restaurant and activity staff are very friendly and nice!

• Premium Room

Rooms a bit old (leak from the roof) and very noisy from nearby hotels and stair case

Personnel very good and cheering Very good location Amenities also very good

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Rooms are badly insulated, can be noisy if neighbors are loud or close to the service road where staff is pushing their squeaky carts from 7 am. Smoking - despite the sign, people are smoking around the pools. Annoying if you are with kids or just hate cigarette smoke. Staff should remind guests to stop doing this.

Staff, location, beach, hotel environment is great. Can walk around the subdivision, also to the center.

• Superior Room

There is no free wifi! The gym needs renovation ! The rooms are not well isolated so there are a lot of noise! Expect to wakeup in the middle of the night when ur neighbors go back to their rooms The matress is not comfortable they are a bit firm!

The location is great ,15 min walking distance from the center! The room is super clean. The food is great ,we had access to all restaurants but we loved the buffet one since you have a lot of varieties ! The staff is so friendly, they do their best to help you! We asked for a late checkout and becoz there was no availability Miguel on the reception helped us to get a hospitality room for 30 min to take shower before we ho to the airport! The beaches are amazing just like the pictures ! They have entertainments all day long so u dont get bored! I will definetely go back again

• Premium Room

The evening entertainment set up wasn't great would of been better to have tables with the chairs in the room

The rooms were lovely and the location great

• Family Room (3 Adults + 1 Child)

The room was very basic and old fashioned The snack bar was very basic (burgers horrible). Drinks weak. The all inclusive had so many restrictions! Loads of mosquitos due to the tropical environment. So many staff around but long queues?

Beach Tropical ambience Location The room was clean

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Too many mosquitoes, make sure you get a spray!

As we walked in the hotel, we were surrounded by jungle-like trees and greens! The hotel is very well maintened and clean! The staff couldn't seize to amaze me. Everyone was very friendly, always smiling and always greeting. I didn't see a single person in a bad mood or giving attitude to a customer ( although some guests truly deserved it!). Considering the food-you have so many options to choose from-you could eat at the buffet, have Italian, gourmet Mexican or grab a snack from the little shack near the pool. Food's always fresh and delicious. We paid extra to have better drinks and to be honest, that was the best decision we have taken :) furthermore, the beach is great with crystal clean water, pristine sand! There was always something going on during the day at the pool area-aqua aerobics, beach volleyball, zumba, etc. The animation team is GREAT! Awesome guys! We'll be back for sure!

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The marketing department literally assaults the client once they arrive and every time the step into the lobby. It is very aggressive and totally unacceptable when you are enjoying your holidays. We were offer as a welcome courtesy a 90' marketing talk in another hotel. A terrible experience

The food, cleaning, room, beach and waitress are wonderful.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Resort rooms have ants. They could use pest control for that. Mostly near patio areas, which lead into the rooms.

I liked the pools. Staff was quick to upkeep the premises immediately after rain showers. There were certain resort buildings under construction. Areas were very slippery also.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The beaches were beautiful and clean, the staff was polite and spoke every morning, there wasn't a housekeeper, staff that didn't say hola every morning.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The room was a huge let down, the bathroom was mildewy and the tub structure was rotting and uneven. the linens were well past their prime and very rough. The pool was constantly dirty.

The staff was always polite and helpful.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

- low quality of food and drinks (even if you want to pay for it) - staff at reception not always supportive/kind - no free Wi-Fi - prepayment required for the all stay

- nice and big buildings with free food - two swimming pools - private beach - free rental of kayak and catamaran

• Standard Triple Room with Garden View

The birds flying in the buffet restaurant and pitching on food was not something we enjoyed. The front desk staff could have been more hospitable. I made my reservation online thru booking.com and we were told that I didn't have any reservations after waiting almost the entire day to get into the room. I booked a "triple room" and we got a room with 2 double beds.. We were told that no triple room existed at the resort.

The ambience of the resort was really nice. Location was perfect.. close access to beach and to Avenida Quinta. (the heart of Playa)

• Premium Room

Some of the staff was very rude and not helpful at all booking.com screwed up on my reservation I booked a room for two people for my partner and myself and by the time I got there they said my reservations said one I ended up having to downgrade my accommodations because they wanted an extra $600. Also I would recommend booking shuttle service I had a time the hotel does not offer shuttle service and a taxi from Cancun to the reef was about $100 our friends were staying in another room and have the upgraded so-called room and had so many problems getting the fridge filled with beer like promised and paid for . The other family we were with ended up switching rooms three times the first room was not even done still had wet plaster on the walls in the bathroom the shower did not work there were spiders and it was very dirty . The second room that was only available was two beds so they had to take that for two nights then they were able to switch them into a single bed after that the trip wasn't too bad

The property itself is just beautiful U can't beat all exclusive right on the beach. Just be prepared for some mishaps

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Sime rooms need updating and airing out. There is a musty smell. They should provide salsa classes once a week before their tropical dance bands arrive. More people would dance.

The Reef is a smaller more intimate hotel on the beach.The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to accommodate your wishes. You can walk to Playa del Carmen within 15 minutes or take a taxi for 90 pesos. Kayaks and sailing are free. There are reasonably priced excursions to local reefs and tortoise viewings. The food is good and you can have a lovely dining experience at the Botticelli Restaurant at no extra cost. Food is available all day long. The entertainment staff works tirelessly to provide activities for adults and children alike -- water polo -- aquatic exercise classes and yoga.

See above

The food started out good, however as the week went on the selection dwindled. It was as if they repurposed till the end. Could never get bottled water. Never really changed, not enough seafood..

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Did not like that when we checked in the first night they gave us a small room with a full size bed when we had reserved a king size bed. We had to switch rooms the next day which was a hassle, and we did not get a good nights rest the first night on small uncomfortable bed.

We liked the food service, and the employees of the restaurants were very attentive. All of the employees that were not behind the counters were very helpful and friendly. I liked that the hotel was safe and walking distance to the town.

It was all great.

The Reef hotel goes out of its way to make the vacationers' stay fabulous. It has nightly first rate entertainment with excellent bands ranging from tropical to hip hop music. You receive personal attention and you feel right at home! The sport's staff is energetic and fun.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Water sports activities are being done too close to where you swim. That is the only thing that bothered me throughout my stay.

Perfect location, amazing food, mesmerising beach. Staff and general guest profile are extremely genuine and kind. I'd highly recommend this place!

• Family Room (3 Adults + 1 Child)

It was fun riding the bikes, but you have to return them by 4, they should extend the time till at least 6. The intertainment at night is not to good, could add a little effort .

We loved the jungle type atmosphere, the location, the area, the food, the beach, the service . In other words we liked it very much. Difinetly recommend this place.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Even though we didn't spend much time in the room, theyou need to update and finish simple repairs. It was well cleaned every day. Ice cream and specialty coffee was offered each day at 4 pm to 6pm ONLY, that was misleading and should be adjusted to better serve.

The staff was great, food was always fresh and Italian restaurant which is included was superb. Beach and pool added final touch.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Food and drinks- food was well below average and very repetitive. Felt like they cooked everything in one big steamer/grill as everything tasted the same. The dinner time is from 7pm to 10pm but relatively good stuff like seafood runs out quickly and not refilled so if you are not going 7pm you won't get all selection. Drinks are way too watered you almost can't tell which is alcoholic cocktail which not. Way too busy- this place is very family oriented and extremely busy. So if you are not traveling with kids i would not recommend at all. The 2 swimming pools are small and full of kids screaming and splashing or just so overcrowded that I didn't feel comfortable swimming. Beach - beach again is super busy. The sun lounges near the sea (very few) are always taken unless you wake up at 6am. The water smells of diesel because of the motorised water activities. Plus I think they could have done better effort to clean beach from plastic dirt and seaweed. Overall facilities - when we checked in we were told as our booking is through Booking.com we don't get internet but the management will give us internet of worth of USD 50 as a gift. When we were checking out we were charged for this !!!! And at the reception we were told that this would have been the case if we went for introduction. This wasn't clearly explained, so in case you are offered any deal or any gift be aware that to get these you need to go for invitation session at their other resort and spend half a day. They also don't explain what the introduction is about which is not honest- it's about investing in hotel property which I believe not many people will be interested in so they don't really say what this is all about. Upgrade to premium- I don't think it's worth it. The premium Nikos beach bar as they refer is small rather far from the sea. The jakuzzi is not bigger than a bathtub and usually filled with kids.

The only two good things about these property I would say were staff and the fact that you could walk to the fifth avenue to spend your evenings as there is not a lot to do in the hotel in the evenings.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

(This is a bit long, but not very bad!) Because of the climate and building technique, the sound insulation is poor. This is of course fine except when neighbors right outside our door (and the beds are located like 1m/3ft from the door) start talking and laughing loudly and waking us up before we want to (e.g. 7 am). This is not necessarily a hotel probkem, but it would be nice if the hotel staff could inform guests about this (and thus to be silent in stairways outside the rooms) on arrival. Obviously we really enjoyed the stay since this is the only remark. We would definitely visit The Reef again!

Good variety of foods at breakfast, lunsh and dinner which tasted very good. Especially the italian restaurant was splendid! Happy and welcomming staff who also initiated several acrivities like volleyball. He premises look fantastic, jungle style! We loved it. Ice cream booth!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The staff in the lobby was never able to help with directions to anything. They did not carry any small change for incidentals.

Very comfortable and loved the location!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

We enjoyed our stay here, but be careful how you book this hotel. I searched through booking.com for two adults, and listed my partner as an additional person on the booking. Despite thinking I had booked for two people, we got charged significantly more when we arrived at the hotel than what we had been quoted through booking.com because they said the quote was only for 1 person. It wasn't a great way to start the holiday.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

It would be nice to have screens on the patio doors. The cool breeze from outside would have been nice to have in the room but with the mosquitos - and no screen door - we were uncomfortable with the room's temperature (even with the air conditioner and fan running.)

The staff was superb. They were friendly, professional and inviting. The location was perfect and amenities such as pool, bar, spa and proximity to ocean were all wonderful. The quality and variety of food at the dinner buffet was a very pleasant surprise.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

- he ask money for the wifi - coffee at the lobby cafeteria was not included in the all-inclusive restaurant - umbrellas are not enough for all residents. We could not find shadow.

- fresh fruits - live cooking

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Standard Triple Room with Garden View

In the Italian restaurant the air condition was so strong that we had to eat as fast as possible in order to go outside. In the reception there was only one capable person, the rest of the staff was too young and not competent. Sometimes only one person with a long waiting time.

Property very well integrated in the landscape, not as many "monster" Resorts you can see in the neighborhood. The property has a right dimension, not too big, not too small. The staff was very kind and helpful. Very good and various food in the buffet restaurant. Interesting evening shows. Very good and competent staff by the Mayaland travel agency inside the hotel.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The variety of food could be better. We ate in the Italian restaurant one night, and we were disappointed. Very good service, but food was just OK. We came from Cancun by car, and the Reef was very hard to find. Poor signage on the highway and in the Playacar complex. I would not advise anyone to go there by car (and I speak Spanish).

Very family oriented. Beaches in front of the resort are excellent. Staff were cheerful and helpful. There are lots of trees and flowers around the apartments, and the gounds were very well kept.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

My first day there, the pool nearest towel stand had lots of debris & floating scum. Really gross actually. Was cleaned for the next morning though. Staff were just kind BLAH. You could tell some did not care to be there or were not overly courteous to guests. All inclusive did not include the in room fridge items!! Unacceptable. I've never had that before at an all inclusive. Connection charge to make one phone call. Food & Beverage service was just OK.

Decent location!! You can walk to Downtown Playa & 5th Avenue. Approx. 20 minute walk. Rooms were clean. Property was decent & pretty. Great Beach! Food was OK, not bad at all. Rooms were large.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Premium Room

Many people putting towels in the early morning on the beach beds and chairs at the pool area to claim them for the whole day. The hotel can't help it but we do not like that kind of behavior.

All inclusive normally isn't our kind of holiday but we spent the last two days of our 1000 km Yucatan tour at the Reef Playacar to relax. Good location near but away from downtown Playa del Carmen. Superb hotel, small scale compared to most other beach hotels in Playacar. High quality rooms in separate villas offering comfort and privacy. Beautiful setting at a white sand beach and especially the garden is impressive. All inclusive concept of high quality level, such as restaurants and bars. Loved it!

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Superior Room

Only three negatives: (1)The bed was much too hard. I woke up each morning with pain in my hips and back. (2)The upper pool has a bar. Every day, it was taken over by obese drunks whose behavior became worse throughout the day, as they continued to drink. Sitting at this pool was impossible. (3)The lower pool is too small and too shallow. Swimming (rather than dipping) is impossible, plus there are not enough chairs around the pool to accommodate everyone.

Very nice property--not glitzy like many of the others in the area. Staff was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

I didn't like being limited on number of devices I could use on wifi. Phone in room never worked.

Loved the lounge chair cushions. The specialty restaurants were really good. Staff was great.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

• Family Room (3 Adults + 1 Child)

Didn't like the timeshare hard sell nor the free excursion which turned out to be a jewelry hard sell. Don't fall for this con just say no and don't waste your precious holiday time. Concierge are only interested in making you part with your money!!!

The location on the beach was amazing. Not needing a car was a big bonus, everything you needed was there on site, entertainment etc... The ice-cream parloir was a nice extra too.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Superior Room

The rooms need major refurbishment NOW: For a 2-week stay of our family in two rooms we paid +/- 12.000 US $ for "superior category" musty and damp rooms 1511 and 1514 on ground floor as we had to be close to our two daughters and no other option was available, even though we had booked months ago and made a relevant request. This is a 35 year old establishment with rooms with thin walls, bad insulation, plastered bathtubs, single glazing windows and paper thin doors, so sound proofing is inexistent and mexican siestas are impossible without ear plugs. The management should honour the fantastic staff, the good-willing clientèle and the beautiful location by renovating as soon as possible. The adjacent RIU Palace had given us a price of 10.500 $ for superior adjoining rooms but we wanted to go local, less industrial and smaller scale. The photos on Booking.com were misleading as regards luminosity and interiors. Our door would not close properly and the girls' window was jammed and rusty. Furthermore, as we were checking out late we asked for a late checkout with extra charge but it was not possible to keep not even one room so we were granted 60 mins. in non-musty and very luminous and pleasurable room no. 1734 on the 2nd floor, which made us see a big difference for the last 60 mins of an otherwise truly great holiday.

The staff gets 5 stars, as does the food, drinks and warm personable service in the self-service and the a la carte restaurants. We tipped as much as we could. Muchissimas gracias to senor Paulino, senora Gladis, senorita Yuceli, senor Guadalupe and all their colleagues. Great animation team. Fantastic New Years fiesta with great party and great food. And the beach is gorgeous!

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Smell of mildew penetrated the rooms and in the air conditioning. We suffered the last day dizziness, migraine and nausea cause of this.

Italian restaurant is the best. Also service is very friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Staff could of been more friendly and informative of the resort. It was hard to communicate sometimes with the language barrier. Drinks weren't strong enough and the hours for the bars were limited. Room was rundown.

The location and beach were wonderful. The food was good too, better than others resorts. I would stick to the buffet when dining. Booking transportation through hotel was helpful and stress free.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Standard Triple Room with Garden View

We booked the all inclusive option. The quality of the drinks was poor! Food could have been better as well.

Location and beach were very nice. The hotel was located in a residential area. Beautiful garden. Hotel was clean and everything needed was there.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Some staff were rude and definitely seemed to deprioritizs us since we were the only non Spanish speakers. The pool constantly had dirt and leaves in it although there are not trees directly above the pool anywhere. Most fruity drinks are made with a brand of syrup that tastes like chemicals so couldn't even enjoy any daiquiris

Some of the staff was very friendly, the location was great and the beach was amazing

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I would have liked the room and bathroom to be a bit more spacious.

We liked that the property is in its own neighborhood (fraccionamiento), the beach is very clean and mostly private. It is very lush and green and pleasant to stroll.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Very bad food (more quantity, no quality at all!), service not always good (eg guys serving drinks are not very nice with customers), not very clean (pillows where smelling like feet), no free wifi, most of nice things are not included in the "all inclusive", not many places available to relax at the beach or at the swimming pool, swimming pool very dirty, all the "extra" (i.e. not included in the all inclusive) are very expensive

Very good position, in front of the sea

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

no staff on the beach to order cocktails. Food in the restaurant is not the best. Actually all of us got sick.

location and services are the best. The front beach is amazing and they are the only hotel in playacar with umbrellas

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

All inclusive is not ALL! I have to pay internet package (7 dollars per day). If you want to drink an international drink, they charge you more (18 dollars each person per day) and you get the access to the "special" bar (little bar beside the pool)! They have just one waiter on the beach to serve 150 people +-. The woman whose made the reservation of the dinner in the cocobeach restaurant was horrible! Very unpolite and rude!

The water sports! Close to 5ª avenue

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The staff was mostly nice with the exception of a few rude people. The restaurant service was bad but not because of the servers but because the kitchen was very slow. One cook is not enough so it not his fault. Its management. also I had to dispute the bill.

Beautiful place!

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Room style really poor. Not wifi included in the price, not even in the lobby!!! Cleaning in the room really poor. Food was ok

• Premium Room

The food was quite average

Staff were very friendly and polite

Our stay was fantastic

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Food was ordinary Other loud and obnoxious guests

Friendly staff Beach so close and close to town

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

Food in the Mexican restaurant was excellent.

• Standard Double Room with Garden View

The staff were all friendly, good selections for food, grounds were well kept and pretty.

• Standard Triple Room with Garden View

The food is really awful, bad and with a poor quality.

The nature views, they respect nature in their facilities.

Browse The Reef Playacar - All Inclusive traveller photo gallery