Reviews of The Royal Playa del Carmen-All Inclusive - Adults Only 5 stars

Constituyentes No 2, 77780 Playa del Carmen, Mexico

#3 of 191 hotels in Playa del Carmen

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

There was a distinct lack of umbrellas at the quiet pool. The coffee was extremely weak (geared to the US visitors). Background noise of the AC in the room.

The hotel was excellent. Very friendly and helpful personnel. There is a quiet pool which is perfect if you want some peace and quiet to read. Food was very good. The room was very big and there was a large bed. There is a pillow menu which was perfect for me as I requested a change of pillow and got it very quickly.

NOT.A.THING!

Every single employee (400 on property) was extremely nice, gracious, happy and willing to do anything to make your stay more comfortable and fun! Every employee we talked to said they LOVE their job at the Royal and it truly shows! Highly recommend this resort

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Seaweed smell and you could not swim in the sea due to the amount of seaweed. Not the properties fault but does affect it.

The property was very clean. Staff were friendly and wanted to help. Day actvities were fun and nightly shows were spectacular.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

I did not enjoy that the service seems to be dependent on weather we give tips or not... if you don’t give tips the service takes longer. As the cost is ALL inclusive, I expect the hotel to organize themselves with a decent remuneration for their employees

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

Booking.com messed up my reservation. I booked for me and my husband (2 guests). When we arrived they said it was for only 1 guest. Both our names was on the confirmation so I don't know how they got that we only booked for one guest. they said we had to pay an extra $325.00 for the extra guest. That started our stay with a bummer. I booked an Ocean Front room and we got a side view of the ocean. I should of paid for a Ocean View. It was not Ocean Front. The seaweed was so bad that no one could get in the Ocean. Piles and Piles everyday that they would pull out. Not a very nice ocean view.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

We've booked this hotel expecting a quite stay (adults only). However, it turned out to be a noisy place with lots of girls and boys nights out (probably kids would have been less disturbing than drunk people shouting after midnight). The lobby work was average. We've reserved a twin bedroom, but the reception (Abel) started to look for a second bed only at our arrival (although the request was in the system for 3 months at least) and offered us an upgrade for extra payment. Eventually another employee has made an extra effort and found a suite with two beds within the category we booked.

The hotel is located at a walking distance from the main shopping street and the ferry terminal.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

The hotel is HUGE, it has the personality of a large shopping mall ....but the common areas and facilities are cramped with no WOW....The food is just so so, plenty of it available but of a poor standard and nothing fabulous, drinks were again plentiful but not great ( how do you have a hotel in Mexico with no Corona and average Tequila??😡

I was there for a wedding; and the staff who organised the functions made it a fabulous day for all of us but especially the bride. All areas are clean and my room was big and very comfortable , house cleaning very sweet.

• Royal Junior Suite Beachfront Walk Out

We stayed at the property in 2016 and loved it, no complaints on food, drinks or service. Big change in 2018...the resort is in disrepair with many broken items. The food was not near the quality as before and the drinks were very bad. We are wine drinkers and literally half of the bottle were ruined and tasted like vinegar. We will not be back.

• Royal Junior Suite

Thru no fault of the hotel the beach it seems is having an erosion problem

The service was outstanding- food delicious- staff could not do enough. It is a wonderful place to go to get pampered. There were 3 pools and plenty of bars. Really a great place to unwind - the grounds are kept beautiful and you can tell each employee is proud to work there.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

I went to ask an other hotel map and the concierge did not want to give me a new one. I had to insist. Cheap 2-3 stars hotels do that. Also the beginning of the week was not bad but at the end there was 3 large groups ou American compagnies. They where very loud. I was immaginating a great hotel with a Royal stay. But I should have picked an hotel in Playacar or north of Playa del Carmen. Not impressed.

I enjoyed relaxing by the pool. Breakfast where good by the ocean.

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

Having to pay additional for reservations. Had to pay extra for Lobster. I’ve been at other all-inclusive in Mexico and they don’t charge.

Enjoyed the yoga class. Water aerobics

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

The restaurants at the property had little selection. Everything seemed to cater towards seafood. The drinks were weak.

The pool and staff were friendly. The room service was PHENOMENAL!!

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

When I arrived at the hotel I had Euro with me and I wanted to pay in cash. First at the frontdesk I was told I can not pay with Euro. After the guy wanted to exchange to dollars and the dollars to pesos what I couldn't accept. The third version was Euro to Pesos but on a terrible rate. After 17 hours of traveling I only wanted to get over this chaos and I had to accept it. On Booking.com I had got a price of 3100€. In the end I had to pay 3420 which is 320 more. I have to admit after this awful beginning I couldn't relax and enjoy my holiday.Specially because the receptionist could have suggested me to have my money exchanged at a money-changer which has been operating next to the hotel in 50 metres. So I am a little bit disappointed with this attitude and I am not planning to go back ever.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

We were surprised that as an "all-inclusive" not everything was included. There was an up-charge for lobster, any wine beyond the house wine, champagne in the room. There was one restaurant not open to us because of the type of room we stayed in. The mini-bar included a few cans of beer, a bag of chips, a bag of peanuts and two cereal bars. But there was a room off the lobby with drinks and snacks that are available 24 hours and room service is available 24 hours so you won't go hungry.

We had a great trip. We enjoyed the all-inclusive, relaxing at the pool, enjoying the pool bar. The foam party in the pool on Saturday was a lot of fun. The staff was absolutely fantastic. Our room was very nice, bed was comfortable, we could listen to the waves all night if we kept the balcony door cracked open. I really enjoyed the hammock swing on the balcony. Breakfast buffets were wonderful, including fresh tropical fruit, breads, local dishes, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, omelets, etc. Our favorite dinner restaurant was Oceana. And being only 2 blocks from 5th Avenue gave us an easy way to leave the resort if we needed to stretch our legs for a bit. We would absolutely stay here again and would recommend the resort to anyone.

• Royal Junior Suite

Room service food at night could be prepared a bit better. The morning food just taste a bit different and it’s the same food. Maybe not being prepared the same

The room we had was amazing the staff was super friendly everything was clean

• Royal Junior Suite

This is our first time to stay in an all-inclusive hotel. We had a great time here. Large and clean room. Lots of choices for food! We tried more than six restaurants (Love the Asian one best). Nice pool for fun and two bars next to the pool (one swim-up ). The beach is right in front of hotel (perfect for the beautiful sea-level sunrise). Everyone is friendly to us and you may find out this is a really comfortable place for vocation. It’s little bit expensive for us but it worth the price.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

The womans bathroom by the pool was dirty most of the day, the floor was always had toilet paper on it. The 24hr bar, it was always the same stuff, last year we felt there was variety. But everyday the same snacks, I'd like to see a variety.

The service, the selection of food. The quality of food was excellent.

• Royal Junior Suite

Food was a miss -- bland and overcooked.

Location, within walking distance of good shopping. Staff was very nice (with the exception of the hostess at Rincon. She was very snippy.)

• Royal Junior Suite

Small rooms with double beds for the price of the room. Bad value if you don’t drink alcohol ... Having jackizzi is great except if you are sharing a room with a friend as you cannot get in with it being literally open in the room.

Location is amazing. On the sea and close to all the shopping. Rental car on property. Food is great.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

No matter where you go everyone smokes. I wish it would be more designated areas for smoking to really enjoy fresh ocean breeze.

Me and my boyfriend went for New Year gate away. This was our first time in royal. Wonderful place from first moment we came. Our room was upgraded for no charge to bigger room where all the activities could be seen from the balcony. "Spice" restaurant is great place for buffet and variety. Daily something new and fresh and of course those fresh squeezed juices. Definitely should check our "maria marie". Very skilled servers and amazing food selection. On our last day we got cake wishing us good flight back. Maid was cleaning our room twice a day and leaving rose petals on our bed. I was surprised that it was a coffee shop very similar to Starbucks with fresh baked cookies daily. Those cookies are the best!. Every night we had the show almost like circus de soleil with fire, acrobats and cultural dance. This was my best New Year vacation, especially view of fireworks from balcony.. I sure recommend to come, enjoy and relax

• Royal Junior Suite

THE ITALIAN RESTAURANT IN THE OTHER BUILDING ... ACROSS FROM THE RESORT - 9 PEOPLE CANNOT BE WRONG

EXTRA SPECIAL ATTENTION GIVEN TO MY ROOM BY THE LADY CLEANING BED EXCELLENT AIRCONDITIONING (SORRY) BLOWS ON THE BED UNCOMFORTABLE TO SLEEP WITH COLD AIR DIRECTLY ON A PERSON --ROOMS LOVELY AND BIG -OVERALL FANTASTIC

• Royal Junior Suite Beachfront Walk Out

I dislike the people trying to get you to meet with them.

The location of this resort is just perfect. You can go downtown Playa and shop, go for a drink and an appetizer or just walk.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

The furniture could use some updating. And the cushions in the lobby need replacing. The furniture needs to be more modern and updated to compete with other resorts. Modernize the Spanish Mission aesthetic with the exterior.

the staff and customer service is what makes this place top notch! The grounds are always clean and the staff is very friendly and work to make it a vacation to remember. The Spanish Mission style of the resort is beautiful.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Extremely loud music which made it impossible to sleep Very noisy in the rooms due to AC on the roof and the AC fans of close by hotel Grand Hyatt Low quality food in most of the restaurants Very loud background music in most of the restaurants We would not stay here again

Pool area Beach with plenty of sun beds Very service minded staff and tasty food in the Mexican Restaurant

• Royal Master One Bedroom Suite

The large pool needs to be heated a bit. You should never have such a gorgeous pool and pool bar unoccupied because the water is so cold. The smell of rotting seaweed is almost overwhelming at times.

The staff was exceedingly polite and ready to assist at any time. The grounds were gorgeous. The food was way above rypical resort fare and you got excellent room service food as well.

pool should be heated

Staff were all so nice. They really go out of their way to make sure you have what you need, whether it be special cocktails, food requests, etc.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

This was our first time at an all-inclusive resort so I wasn’t sure what to expect. The hotel restaurant food was not great and the liquor selection is very poor. We tend to drink premium alcohol and handcrafted cocktails though, if you just want to drink for free all day and get drunk you would be fine, everyone else seemed happy with the selections. We ended up eating and drinking outside of the hotel most of the time. I was also not happy with our check-in experience the person that helped us was not very friendly. He tried to upgrade us to a different room after he had already ran my credit card which made no sense? We also kept getting asked by Guest Services staff to spend an hour with them doing a tour so that we could book through the hotel directly next time, it got annoying after the 3rd time, we ended up trying to avoid walking by them the rest of our trip. The other staff was hit or miss some were very nice while others were not rude but seemed unhappy.

The property is at a great location in Playa del Carmen, walking distance to 5th Avenue where all the shopping and restaurants are and to 12th Avenue which is where all the nightlife is. It’s also near the Ferry if you want to go to Cozumel and Isla De las Mujeres. You save a lot of money not having to taxi everywhere.

Leaving 😂

The staff is OUTSTANDING! We have gone to this resort four years in a row and the quality of the food, the cleanliness and the service was always top notch!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

No complaints

Everyone at The Royal Playa Del Carmen were wonderful. Food was excellent, very clean, staff were amazing. My Husband and I had a wonderful and will look forward to going back.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

The evening buffet in the main restaurant (Spice) was a bit lacking in fish dishes. Usually just a bit of white fish in sauce. Difficult to find prawns, mussels, calamaris, etc., let alone crab. There was once a paella, but that was, unbelievably lacking those things as well, and just bits of white fish in it. For the price, I think the breakfast and eveing buffet could have been better.

Extensive, well maintained public areas and grounds, and the staff conscientiously trying to please

• Royal Junior Suite with Pool Access and Ocean Views

The restaurants and bars, the staff were amazing. The activities on offer were great and the pool was clean and not overcrowded. Great atmosphere in the resort at any time of day. Such an indulgent holiday.

• Royal Junior Suite

I struck me that the photographers were holding live animals such as Iguana, Parrots Toucan . This is animal abuse ( because they have been drugged most of the time too keep them calm) and strictly forbidden in most european countries. See also the recommendation of the World Wildlife fund.

Very friendly employees! from the cleaning service to the animation staff. No effort was too great for us. Very good professional animation with a daily varied show. I strongly recommend Restaurant Maria marie and also the Asion restaurant. We had an excellent vacation and we will come back for sure.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

This place is truly amazing! Best location, staff, food, amenities. Everything is the best of the best. I will stay here every time I'm in Playa.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

I stayed here alone as part of a vacation. My stay was wonderful. The room was great. The service was great. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. I would come back here in a heartbeat.

• Royal Junior Suite

Very little variety in 24hr snack bar.

Room was super clean and very pretty. Alot of attention to detail. Staff were very friendly and personable. Great welcome once you got to the property. Excellent service all the way through.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

I didn't like having to go home!

My 2nd trip there. Everthing is alway fabulous from the moment they pick me up. I'm a solo traveler & it's a perfect location, your not stuck in the middle of nowhere 5th av is a block away. You would know it when you are in the resort though. It's private, no "riff raff" adults only, great staff & food! Can't wait to go back!

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Nothing really. Not a big fan of how they hound you in Mexico to see inside their stores but that is just a flaw in the area.

Just a wonderful vacation. Would go back and stay there again.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Manager on duty when we checked in was rude and abrasive. Flat out refused to provide us with the three rooms we booked and paid for. After 30 minutes of heated discussion she finally did her job and we were given the correct rooms.

Restaurants and bars were great, food exceptional.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Lots of annoying loud midwestern tourists who never left the pool. Locals on the beach constantly trying to sell you junk or excursions that were overpriced. It smelled like sulfur or rotten eggs outside almost every day. It didn’t smell that way when we walked to playacar, just seemed to be north Playa del Carmen where the resort is.

When we first arrived they put us in a small room that was far from the water and smelled mildewey. We went back downstairs and they moved us to a much larger room, that looked just like the one in the photos when we booked, and it was much closer to the beach. We were very happy with the new room! We also loved the nightly entertainment and the food was good for an all inclusive.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

The staff were beyond amazing. My room was immaculate and the entire resort pristine. All restaurants were very good - much better than other all inclusive resorts I have stayed at in the past.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

I reserved and paid for a junior suite with an ocean view and instead was given a room with a pool view but no ocean view and the management would not correct the situation or refund me the difference.

The spa services

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

There was never any restocking of our fridge. My friends had two additional rooms and their fridge was restocked daily, anytime I asked I was told I had to call room service.

Loved the facility.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Can’t think of anything...

I love everything about The Royal. The staff is warm and friendly and very accommodating. All the restaurants on the facility are fantastic. I felt very safe while on The Royal property as well as in town with the locals, great eats and shopping. Police presence was strong. I would go to The Royal Playa del Carmen over and over again!!!

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

The beds could have been a little more comfortable. I requested for a mattress topper and was able to sleep better afterwards. Wasn't to fond of the "vacation club" pitch. It was constant.

Overall the property is beautiful. The staff is great.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Music extremely loud around pool area. Plays almost all day - so don't book a room near the pool.... unless you enjoy very loud music.

Property well maintained & the pool area was nice.

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

Chef's Plate restaurant need some work: painful chairs, tables all too high. Violin music irritating, should have a guitar or harp--menu confused--who wants Gorgonzola soup in a bread bowl after a day in the tropics? All the menus need to be reworked. The pork tenderloin was in a delicious , but pasty , reduction. Should have been a light weight sauce and the pork should have been sliced thinly and not served in two big chunks. Need to have some good wines at a reasonable price-your target audience is not likely to spend for a Fa Niente. Perfect service.

• Royal Junior Suite

We didn’t like that we had to wait 4 hours to get to our room especially when we were offered an upgrade.

The location was great. You can walk out onto fifth avenue and visit local restaurants and bars. There were many activities to choose from as well. The staff was polite and always greeted us with a smile and their hand over their heart.

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

Let’s start by staying the check in process is really bad; front desk staff is not well trained and do not acknowledge guests are waiting in line... They pretend you are not there; really bad! ROAYAL CLUB - BIG TIME SCAM During checking they have a platinum staff member pick guests to socialize with when they give gifts and invite you for a breakfast next day. They promise you : 85$ per person; Beach bags; And 3 nights accommodation voucher for one of their resorts... Seems real good and you want to go... Yes, I did. Next day you will need to go a 1 hour and half sales presentation after breakfast in which they will try to sell you a travel membership : Prices as listed: 800$ paperwork fees; 2300$ down payment; Plus 200$ ( I believe per month for 60 months) They say you get free accommodation , plus money back for your airline tickets etc... at first seems good but believe me think twice before signing up.. As me and my patterned said we needed to think about before , Thomas de presenter seemed to be rude and said to one his employees , in Spanish , not to give us the voucher for the 3 nights accommodation as promised by Aldo. We did get the 85$ hotel credit ... wish they could honor their words and send me the 3 free nights they were gonna give us.. I WOULD THINK 3 times before signing up to this program... Nothing is free! Restaurante : chef plates was too much...

Gym was and spa was great; French and Mexican restaurant was perfect; Room was beautiful; Staff was well trained.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

I expect more for the restaurants, there are 7 o 8 i cant remember, they seem to be gourmet for the price of the hotel, and for facade but, the taste and the dishes are as simple as any other restaurant.

All the staff are try to make your staying comfortable, the all inclusive is worth it.

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

The large pool area too loud Bottle butler service that was advertised no longer available Small pool needs some Reno and cleaning of tiles

The staff are amazing, the balcony room was perfect. Towel art was fun each day.

• Royal Presidential Suite with Private Pool and Ocean Views - Penthouse

Asiana, I need you guys to just skip this place!!!! Like don't go anywhere near it! The sushi was cold like it came out of the freezer, the rolls were weird almost everything had "cheese" way too much rice, weak soy sauce just plain old yuck.

I just got back from The Royal, the main complaint that I had was I didn't stay longer. My trip was from September 18th-23rd. Upon arrival we had to wait less than 60 seconds and we were checked in and on our way to our presidential suite. The room we had was suite 994. Fredrico was our butler and was very accommodating. We arrive to out suite I immediately noticed they didn't provide the big bottles of liquor as I was with other travelers previous pictures and their own website. But apparently they stopped doing this 3-4 months prior. But Fredrico made it happen and got us the Don Julio (my mom requested) and the Jack Daniels )I requested). Through out the stay we had one guy make sure all our drinks were restocked, out maid Belinda was great also. She provided everything we needed and wished me Happy Birthday via my bedroom decor. If you book the presidential suite they provide Blvgari toiletries and Evian water. You also have an assigned cabana on the beach. The beach was amazing I made sure I went there everyday. The "party" pool was cool they always had something going on. Then there was the quite pool that I never went to cause let's face it our room already had a private pool so it made no sense for me to go. Now on to the food went ate at Asiana our first night, I need you guys to just skip this place!!!! Like don't go anywhere near it! The sushi was cold like it came out of the freezer, the rolls were weird almost everything had "cheese" way too much rice, weak soy sauce just plain old yuck. The next day I ordered room service for breakfast which was delicious I got the salmon omelette and a side of bacon. My mom went to the El Mediterráneo that was right downstairs from our room, she said it was good but not a big selection for pescatarians.

• Royal Junior Suite with Pool Access - Ocean Front

A small thing, but we asked for our daily room cleaning time to be changed, I asked three times, and it never happened......

Everything about this property is classy, impressive and well done. The staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Royal Junior Suite with Pool Access - Ocean Front

The hotel could improve its communication with guests: It was difficult to get in touch with the hotel before the trip while I was trying to get a bunch of (important) questions answered, which for the most part remained unanswered until my arrival. The same happened during my stay, where the supposedly 24-hour front desk wouldn't pick up the phone for more than 10 minutes.

I came here to disconnect from busy schedule and got exactly what I wanted. I can highly recommend the ocean front swim-up suites (room numbers 635-638) as they're away from all the party people by the activity pool and offer pure relaxation and semi-privacy. The bed is extremely comfortable and the food was great, as was the service. The wifi works across the entire property, which is kept very clean.

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

Beach was not as pretty as I thought it would be. But the resort pool and accommodations made up for it. There is a sour smell that some say comes from the seaweed on the beach. It could be quite strong at times.

Bed was very comfortable. Room always clean. Restaurants were wonderful. Staff was superb! We are already planning our next trip.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

The food at the Marie Marie restaurant, that required reservation was awful. The buffets were nuch better. Tipical all inclusive mediocre food and water down drinks overall. But great location, close to everything.

The staff was great and friendly. The rooms are beautiful.

The beach.

Staff was amazing. Food was beyond great. The rooms were incredibly comfortable and spacious. Little touches were so fun every night by the maids. Awesome resort!

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

More nightlife options available, live music by pool.

The staff was so friendly went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable and ensuring we had a fantastic trip. Beautiful property very close to town and beaches.

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

THE SMELL.... it smelled musty. It was terrible. Also the ocean had a on and off terrible smell. The beach was not maintained well like the pictures show.

Beautiful resort! Picturesque! So many well planned activities, in the pool during the day and entertainment in the lobby area at night. Walk out and the beach is there.

• Royal Junior Suite

Having to go back home :( ... but seriously consider some more traditional Mexican food in your buffets. We were on the hunt for some carne asada and street tacos!

Our family including 3 adult children and 1 spouse booked 3 rooms. We were located in the area near the El Mediterraneo Restaurant - it was the perfect location! We had our own pool, coffee shop with pastries, restaurant and bar service. It was quiet and relaxing. If we wanted a less laid back atmosphere, we only had to walk out to the main pool facing the ocean where they had daily pool activities, volleyball on the beach and in the pool, bar service including a swim up bar, 2 ocean view outside restaurants and plenty of seating, cabanas on and off the beach. The beach was kept beautifully clean and you never had to look far to see a Royal employee there to assist you. In addition to oceanfront location, we could step right off the resort onto 5th Avenue for shopping, churches and more good restaurants and bars. What really impressed us at the Royal was the service!!! The place was kept so clean and the people were amazingly friendly!! I want to acknowledge a few... Janeneth in the coffee shop :) , chef eloida and abraham, a and many more at El Mediterraneo Restaurant and Bar , lucas at Pelicanos Restaurante, patricia and claudia in the spa and the best housekeeping I have ever had jo aguilar jesus and grace!! An additional compliment to the service and food at Asiana Restaurant - it was our favorite for dinner!!

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

This resort is located on a very rocky beach. You have to walk down the beach to another hotel to avoid the rocks. Wish I would have known this before booking. Spent most of my time there at the pool and I have a pool at home! Don't need to travel to Mexico to lounge by a pool. Also, unlike Cancun, this beach gets VERY crowded. 60% tourist and 40% locals I'm told but definitely 100% CROWDED!! I will say that I did see the staff put a lot of energy into keeping the beach maintained. Lots of picking up trash, arranging the chaises and raking seaweed in the blazing heat. They also have little cabana beds on the beach which is nice. Additionally the booze was horrible and cheap. I essentially avoided it. Lots of black out drunk guest near the pool. Seemed very unsafe. Thought I might have to jump in to save a few folks from drowning. Luckily I did not.

The staff is very friendly and always asking for feedback on the service. You feel good about tipping them. The food was fairly good too for an all inclusive. I got excited to see them use fresh eggs at the omelette station! I've noticed lately hotels & resorts have been using some egg product that comes out of a clear plastic bag, so kudos to The Royal Playa DEL Carmen! There is also a great gym loaded with top notch equipment. Even took a reformer Pilates class which was included. They also had spinning and TRX. It is walkable to the beautiful mall and shopping/restaurant area.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

The only problem we had was with our plumbing: our pipes would shoot up water 10 to 20 times a day, and the shower had some stoppage issues as well (the maintenance staff fixed that quickly, though).

The food options were great: I really recommend the Maria Marie restaurant and the traditional Mexican place. If you have time to go to the sister resort, Il Pescatore was great too. The bed was very comfortable, the maid service was very attentive to detail and efficient, and the entertainment staff were AMAZING. Thanks to The Royal for our fabulous vacation.

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

The staff are super kind and polite, very responsive, helpfull and always keep smile on their faces. The food is good and is available at many good restaurants, some of them needs a reservation though. The Hotel is located in an excellent place - just a minute walking from the city center. We highly recommend the hotel, unforgettable experience.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

For the life of me you could not get a cold beer in this place. Beer in these hot climates should be stored on ice. Most of the time it was hot and flat. understandably being all inclusive you can drink what you like but cold beer should be the first thing you would get right. Watch the timeshare sellers and that is within the hotel.

The staff were exceptional no doubt about it

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Our first room overlooked the pool, great location for people watching and relaxing in the hammock however, immediately upon entering the room we could smell mold or very musty air. This smell subsided slightly if the A/C and ceiling fan were on high, but it wasn't enough to keep us from requesting a different room. The staff granted our request without hesitation. I think the rooms in the two original buildings may need to be inspected for this problem. I think it may stem from the hot tub and the fact that the resort is in a wet environment, ie the beach. Our second room was in the same bldg but on ground floor located 30 ft from the pool. There were no issues with this room.

Location in Playa is perfect. The staff is excellent. EVERYONE greats you every time they pass you. The food is excellent, portions are reasonable, they are not outrageous like most Americans might expect, but you can always ask for more if you desure. The pool and service there was great. Unfortunately we experienced rain 3 of the 5 days we were at the Royal. The staff was excellent at keeping people busy in the lobby with games and entertainment. This was our 2nd visit and I would stay a 3rd if we return to Playa.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Your wish is their command at this resort! I would not hesitate to go back. We chose The Royal for our destination wedding in June 2017 and we could not have been happier with our choice! We have been to other all inclusive resorts and the others do not compare to the service and quality that we received at this resort. The rooms were great, the food was very good and there was enough variety that we didn't get sick of it after 10 days, the staff was amazing, and the wedding was unbelievable! If you are thinking about booking this location...don't hesitate! We were only supposed to stay for 8 days and ended up extending our stay while we were down there. My only negative was that the shower in our second room (we needed to switch rooms when we extended our stay) did not have very good water pressure. However, the shower in our first room was just fine! The resort is also a block away from 5th Avenue so it is so easy to go downtown for food, nightlife, and shopping. The beach was nice and private and was never crowded. There were always enough beds and lounge chairs to get by the pool and beach. We didn't need to go down early in the morning to save them. If you stay at The Royal, the restaurants and bars at the resort across the street are also included, so that gives you a lot of other options for different kinds of foods. I looked at a lot of reviews before booking The Royal and I was only reading good things (sometimes that makes me a bit nervous with reviews, because it's normal to read a few bad ones). However, I really don't have anything negative to say after staying there for 10 days. We will definitely be back!

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

Everything The location was superb, so close to 5th Avenue With all its restaurants bars shops etc The restaurants were all of a high standard Plenty to choose from Our room albeit a less expensive one was very clean confortable and serviced twice daily I asked for different pillows and was given a full pillow menu to choose from! Daily entertainment and activities in the Main Pool The other pool near the coffee house which was great if you wanted a more peaceful day The beach activities and bar service

• Royal Junior Suite Oceanfront

The shows at night were not very good, but that's just my opinion.

The rooms are great, the beds are comfortable and the cleaning staff does an amazing job.

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

Basically having to save lounges by the pool early if you wanted a good spot by the pool. I think people were doing this the night before. The water in the shower had a sulfer smell, but I'm pretty sure that's just Mexico and not the resort.

The food at every restaurant was fantastic. Even the room service food was amazing. Considering the amount of people served on a daily basis, the food was always different in the buffet and delicious. I can't say enough about this resort. We had two couples massages, the spa was beautiful. The nightly shows were fun, and the staff was phenomenal! This was our first stay here at the recommendation of our friend, and we can't wait to come back next year.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Royal Junior Suite with Garden View

Bed was a little too firm for me but everyone is different. Lighting could have been a little brighter in the room, especially the bath area.

Mostly everything was great (great location, room, pool/beach, restaurants & very friendly staff). Water was always hot for showers. The entertainment staff was fantastic with nightly shows & pool activities to keep everyone in a lively mood including good music constantly. The entire staff was exceptional, everyone did their job professionally (from the concierge staff the moment you arrive, the maid/room service, to the restaurant, the bar, the grounds crew), ALL were well in tune to making your stay as pleasant as possibly could be. My wife & I both visited the Spa then received a massage that was awesome. I can't say enough good things about the place & the folks who run it.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

See above

Let me start my review with 3 overall statements - First, we stayed at Gran Porto in November of 2016, which is their sister resort right next door and had an EXCELLENT experience - which led us to believe that the Royal, which was more expensive and has the slogan - EXPECT THE EXCEPTIONAL - would be better - we were wrong. Second, I want to be clear that this review is not about the wedding planning. Our wedding planner, Anat, was SPECTACULAR - and our wedding was amazing. This review is purely about the experience at the resort, apart from the wedding. Third, the resort itself is beautiful - the pools, the room, the ground are all very nice - this review is again purely about the experience - focusing on the staff and policies. Day 1 - When we checked in, we informed the staff that we were planning to stay one extra day. As they were unable to make this change ahead of time to our reservation, I had booked another day. They told us that we would need to switch rooms for the last day (note that we stayed 8 days) because we were given an upgrade due to our wedding. This seemed ridiculous to me, and it was only after talking to our wedding coordinator that this was somewhat rectified. Day 2 - We went to have lunch at Pelicano's at 3PM and were told my wife needed a cover for her swimsuit - fair enough. We went back to our room and got the cover and came back to the restaurant and talked to the same guy who we had talked to 20 minutes before who told us they were closed. Note that they close at 4PM, but they chose to do whatever they wanted. You will see the same experience for breakfast in the following days... Day 3 - We tried to have breakfast at Pelicano's. We arrived at 10:15 and were told it was closed. Again, I pointed out the time, and was told we could go to Spice instead. As some of our guests have children, they stayed at Gran Porto as The Royal is Adults Only - no problem. So, we went to go visit the wedding party at Gran Porto.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Royal Junior Suite

Loud noise of "entertainment" in the lobby when we arrived at 10 PM was obnoxious. Cheap bottle of wine and 2 mealy apples in the room unappealing. By 10 AM most of the cabanas around the main pool were already claimed by a book or magazine.

Papayas at breakfast were fantastic! I loved the way the staff greeted me with "Hola" and the right hand over the heart. Pelicanos by the beach was wonderful place for breakfast. Maid service in our suite was impeccable. Room safe was easy to operate. Endless supply of bottles of water. Room temperature easy to regulate. Inside suite very quiet. Robes in room soft and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Royal Junior Suite with Central Garden View

The food wasn't good, it was loud every night. It was too much money for what we actually received. The staff wasn't very friendly compared to other places I have been to in Mexico. The bar at the pool was always packed and it took awhile to get the drinks. As far as the restaurants the food was ok and there wasn't much variety. The rooms were pretty clean and large but they didn't have a wow factor and many of us paid for an ocean view where you had to peek over the balcony to see.

The bed was comfortable and the drinks tasted good. The nightly entertainment was pretty good compared to other resorts.

• Royal Junior Suite with Pool Access and Ocean Views

Had a Jr. suite swim up, which we totally enjoyed. Staff, food, room and all accommodations were excellent. Walking distance to shops and restaurants on 5th Ave.

• Royal Presidential Suite with Private Pool and Ocean Views - Penthouse

Our reserved cabana was wonderful but in the back row. We would have liked to have the ocean view of the front row cabana, having paid top dollar, and graciela made the switch for us.

We booked the Presidential Suite and loved it! Our butler, Graciela, was fantastic. She took care of the details that made us feel spoiled and we sure appreciated that. The upstairs private pool was fantastic!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Royal Junior Suite with Ocean View

The concierge service, How busy is the lobby and the amount of bussines (travel and tourism) inside the hotel. There is not enough employees at the concierge.

The location, the beach, and the buildings and gardens design.

Browse The Royal Playa del Carmen-All Inclusive - Adults Only traveller photo gallery