Reviews of Berjaya Penang Hotel (formerly known as Georgetown City Hotel) 4 stars

1-Stop Midlands Park, Jalan Burmah, 10350 George Town, Malaysia

#103 of 132 hotels in George Town

5.5

• Single Room with City View

The room carpet is old, and the breakfast.menu for me is boring.

Good location, close to amenities.The toiletteries for hotel guests are more complete, now they provide also body lotion and tooth brush. 😊

• Standard Room

The room was a bit too small for 2 people. I guess the hotel is a bit old as some of the furniture were worn down (TV was also not working). Although the kiblat was shown however they did not provide any prayer mats (usually provided by other hotels).

The location of the hotel is walking distance to many attractions n malls. The view from the room was also very breathtaking as we could see the sea and the penang Bridge. The staff (concierge and housekeeping) were also nice and helpful.

• Single Room with City View

I finally was upgraded but the 1st room had old dirty carpet and it was so small I really had no where to open my luggage. They did change my room and was much nicer and more room.

The bathroom could be more clean. The silverware was peeling and rusted.

The staff was incredibly nice and friendly. They helped me get around Penang so well, but the cleanliness of the room was below average. And the pictures of the rooms look more modern and up to date than what was actually there.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not very appetising.

Hotel was in a very convenient location and well suited for the purpose of our trip. We were very impressed by the polite staff who were always eager to help us.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The location and the connecting mall was terrible. It was a horrible experienced right from the start. My booking with booking.com didn't get through to the hotel eventhough it was stated as confirmed. There was NO booking under my name. The toilet was dirty with dust and rust everywhere. There was fresh chocolate stained on the May soap cover! The shower doesn't work properly. And the maximum RM4 parking fee (under the mall parking area) ended up more because the parking attendant insisted that i needed to pay extra.

The staffs

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Expensive hotel , booking .com charge me 16 % tax for booking .com to whom i have to paid that tax? to hotel or to booking.com because i have to paid tax again excluding the foreigner tax ?

Ok

• Single Room with City View

The Housekeeping was bad. The room attendance did not clear my rubbish and did not clean the toilet properly. Besides that the table top where the kettle is was not wipe as I can see water residue .

The room and bed is huge.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We must climbed many stairs to got into the lobby that was impossible for my mom with wheelchair so we had to got to the parking basement lift to went upstairs, and that was not easy way either

It's location that near Adventist Hospital

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Internet is very very slow, esp at night. U also need to re-login again & again. Nett price is quite pricy, compared to other properties which provide almost the same facilities

Overall room is clean, bed & bathroom as well. They provide a cellphone which you can bring outside, it provides free browsing & free calls. Quite a handy one.

• Single Room with City View

Last week i stayed in their jr suite room and it was so comfortable stay. This time i stayed in their single room and found the room was so DIRTY n DUSTY! I wasnt happy in my last stayed, sorry!

The handy phone

• Single Room with City View

Mobile travel guide in every room is great idea, location was perfect for who needs to be close to Thai embassy.(walking way) Also plazas are very close.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No WiFi in the room , is quite troublesome for overseas guests . Parking lot is not under hotel ??? Why is that someone ask money from me when the staff in front desk told me parking is free for hotel guests, but the person asking money doesn’t look like a hotel staff

Everything is fine !!! Great location , get good rest

• Superior Double or Twin Room

the bathroom could be cleaner and it could be better if they kind of renovate old things such as tv, refrigerator, safe deposit box and the bathroom kinda old, but no complain since they are not one not the fanciest hotel that you want to spend your time in, it was kind of place to sleep..

the pillow was so good and it was near the Adventist hospital so everyone knows about this place, next to it there are small shops in small malls, and it was pretty good, theres little minimart and 7-11 there, so water and snacks are no problems at all.. 10 mins walk to gurney mall and wellings chemist.. so nice hotel, and the room is cold.. that's so good after walking under the Malaysian sun.

For the price I paid, I cannot really complain. The parking in the basement. See above for my comments. Walking up the steps to the reception was dangerous on a rainy day. Perhaps, you can redo the steps to make them wider and not narrow like now.

The staff members were really helpful and polite. The toilet cistern was leaking water after a flush. Disappointing part? We couldn't get our car out of the basement parking lot and had to summon help from your staff, who was more than willing and happy to help. Your staff attitude was really awesome. Thank you for that.

• Single Room with City View

Taxi operator at front door tried to get me to book a ridiculously early (0630) pickup to go to the jetty to get the ferry to connect with my train (0841) just so he could charge 50% uplift for nightrate. Just get a cab from the rank outside.

The room was dirty and not well maintain. There stain in the bathroom. The bed in very bad conditions which u feel like u sleep at the budget hotel. The chicken soup was salty.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was poor , almost everything was aisian, nothing to eat for the ones not eating aisian foods

Good location near to gurney plaza , easy to reach the hop on hop off for both tours , beach and city . The room was confy Easy to reach from airport

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Air ventilation was bad, feels like someone has smoked in there every time we get in.

Lighting was fairly okay but the window sure did play good role with natural light seeking into our room

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Carpet is too dirty as well as the room cleanliness, the bathroom is too dirty without bidet spray. Some room has no hair dryer. at cashier counter when check out has only 1 staff, but there is a lot of guesses waiting her to process Car park is too dirty without renovation, but lucky that is a lot of space

• Single Room with City View

There are no wifi in the room. It an essential elements for hotels nowadays. However this hotel asks you to pay extra.

The front counter we're more than happy to move us to a better room since the given room for the first night we're not comfortable & noisy.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The charges is expensive, i book with breakfast than sudenly need to pay at the counter.also all my total bill include the taxs n they double charge me again Overall teribble

Wifi sucks. Not suitable if you are traveling for work and need Wifi for your work. Lift sucks. The door close too fast and may hurt kid. The door censor does not work as it still close despite people walk pass it and it may hurt people. Power plug in the room are sucks, those which are empty and available are all spoint. 2/4, near the lounge area and the room. Bathroom is disgusting with the water stain on wall, bath tub, and water pipe.

The staff is friendly, room size is fabulous and the bed is comfy with 2 pillows and 1 bolster. Room service food is acceptable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Need to walk up or down the steps infront of the hotel causes inconvenient to the elderly guests. We appreciated that concierge staffs are ready to assist guest that needs assistance most of the time.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Rooms are a bit old and tired. The bathrooms are in need of an upgrade. The lifts were terribly slow and the wifi was almost nonexistent- you can connect but its super slow. The breakfast was decent but very little choices available.

The rooms were big enough and having their own private parking was a plus.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

WiFi wasn't free and it's access not user friendly. The speed was also very poor and on the other hand too expensive for present day situation globally. The swimming pool size is small.

Accessibility, room size, ground floor support staffs.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Access to carpark needs to be improved when it rains. There is only one car park lift and the wait can be terribly long. Alternative is to take the stairs up to the ground floor and walk across - no issue if its dry but you will get wet when it rains. The path to the car park is dim and dirty.

Pleasant counter staff.

• Single Room with City View

Taxes are not included in a price(about 16% as far as I know) so I was a little surprised to pay more than I expected.

Perfect location, close to the sea, many malls and street food court. I liked big windows and the sea view. Clean and quiet as well.

As above

The Front Office Manager Kala was simply super efficient. She apologised that our room was not ready and did her best to accommodate our requests. She was also very informative and friendly. Although she was not there when we checked out, we did leave a letter for her with the General Manager. The Hotel staff are all very polite and doing their job. There was however no additional sparkle to pleasing a customer or trying to talk to a customer. After all many people are here for a holiday and many are foreigners so they may feel glad for some information about Penang. Since I am local, it did not bother us. Carpark was really not suitable as it was dark, stinky and crowded. Very inconvenient and not clean at all. Did not try the restaurant but the Housekeeping staff were also very accommodating in our request for extra towels and drinking water. All in all, I would say a good Hotel though it looks run down in certain places and dull. Shopping complex next door was also empty and rather sad looking. One plus was the 7 - 11 just outside Hotel, very convenient and the food stalls across and down the road by the Church. Great little place for eating. However, still waiting for Booking.com and the Hotel to revert on the status of my RM 62.00 extra charges as this issue is still not resolved. Hope I can get a response soon.

• Single Room with City View

Incredibly disorganized. First they had lost my reservation and had to ask two or three people before finally finding it. At some point hotel maintenance came to my room to fix the hairdryer even though I didn't call them, they didn't seem to know which room they were supposed to go to. I came to ask something at the desk later, they again didn't find my reservation and printed it again for me to sign, before I told them I already gave them this signed paper (they mistook me for another client with a name not really similar but sharing two letters at one point too) I don't understand how they are able to run a hotel with hundreds of rooms. I saw people spending a lot of time at the desk when arriving or leaving, I'm assuming it is because of that very bad organization...

The room was comfortable. Good location. Food court 20 meters from the hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom could use some uplifting

Got upgraded to a bigger room. The hotel is aged, and it shows. But still maintained very well. Very comfortable facilities.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel and the room is in a very much poorer condition than expected. We booked for a non-smoking room but were first given a room on the smoking floor (though later we were moved to a different room). The room is generally very old. We had a few problems with the sink in the bathroom and also the toilet cistern. Almost everything in the room is in a old and dirty condition i.e curtains, bathroom, shower, cupboards, air conditioning unit etc. The elevators were also noisy and old. We could help them operating throughout the night. The customer service could also improved in terms of friendliness and approachability. This is definitely not value for money.

The only one good point for this hotel is the location which is close to the Penang Adventist Hospital (we were there to visit our family member hospitalised there). However, the surrounding buildings and businesses seems to be dead and out dated.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

For the price, i expected the room and the toilet to be bigger but it was comfortable enough for 2.

I love that it is complete with what you need, for example the toiletries and drinks. Comfortable bed and clean room.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Couldn't use wifi at all. I was in the toilet and suddenly somebody came in for house keeping when I've already hang the do not disturb card outside. Bed sheet with stain, used tissue paper on the desk, won't be coming back anymore

• Single Room with City View

The showers soap dispenser was too small for a body wash. At times, the t.v. set was faulty.

Hotel decor and ambience are from an earlier era. Interesting! The dining room served varied and tasty breakfast. Polite and efficient staff. Great view of city from room window. Good local shops nearby.

I've booked 3 rooms 1 month ago via booking.com, once i've checked in, they mention 2 rooms were available to check in at the time we arrive but that 1 room wasn't ready yet. We waited 2 hours for that 1 room. Was kinda upset the way they manage the rooms as they keep telling us for 2 hours that room service are cleaning the room & request us to wait.That was the only disappointment I had upon my arrival in the hotel.

The breakfast was good, they had so much of variety. Pastries were good.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Everything good.

Close to Gurney Drive. Great for shops and dining. Close to Adventist Hospital. Easy to walk. For other places there is a taxi rank just outside. The view from my room was a city view. And it was great. The room was very comfortable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

need full or complete renovation

it shouldn't be rated 4 stars, dirty,no sofa and limited seats in a small lobby. all the facilities in the room are very very old.

• Single Room with City View

During school holiday the indoor parking will always be full. Tough time if you are driving yourself. For tourists Uber is the best method of travelling here

Stayed in super single room yet it is big enough to fit 2 adults. Room was comfy enough and night view from the room is splendid. I like the bath tub since most hotels doesn't provide this without paying premium. It is abit old but well maintained

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The toilet. It does not have a bidet. Not suitable for the children.

The staff at the reception counter was kind to answer my questions because i have to cancel from 2 nights to 1 night only as i have to attend a funeral on the next morning at Kedah. The next day, around 8 am the staff let me check out by only charging me for 1 night and i don't need to wait for the reservation office to open or check approval email from booking.com for canceling 1 night.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is old and smell old. The bath tub was dirty. Picture showed different room. Not value for money. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The Wifi is the worst case scenario don't believe me you try it yourself! In the morning wanted to take a shower but the water heater doesn't seems to work had inform the staff about it but nothing was done. There after we thought upgrade to a junior suite might be better and was charge additional RM50 per night we took it as we got no choice as the water heater was really a nightmare for us. Therefore after we tried indeed the water heater had slightly improved from cold to lukewarm=) and the shower tap was a super run down and lack of maintenance. The best thing don't ever stay in room 2201 you will guarantee hear very loud water pipe flowing noise for sure! Good Luck! If for the next visit I will really have to consider if the whole Penang hotel had all fully book and this will be my choice for the stay. upset.

bed are quite comfy

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Just taxi transportation were a little bit charge more, Some staff helped us to cach a taxy on the road to the airport, more cheap

We arriving early, the hottel staff were very helpful and gave us check in with no charge. The room we stayed was very nice even its small but comfort with bath tab and all equipment, swiming pool very safett for my kids,the location is a little bit far from downtown but easy to sight seeing with free bus, nice town. We are really enjoy this hotel.quite and private area for holiday in city.

• Single Room with City View

There is no elevator from the hotel parking to the lobby, which was quite inconvenient since I carried two luggage with me.

The hotel staff are very warm and welcoming. The room service is also fantastic. The room is very comfortable. Enjoyed my stay here, and will not think twice of staying here again in the future.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Televisions need replacing! Breakfast buffet was below expectations from previous visits Shower curtains are often too short

The helpfulness of the staff: front desk, floor and restaurant always makes my visits pleasant. The location is handy for my visits to Adventist. Comfortable beds Plenty of hot water.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Single Room with City View

I was expecting to settle my bill on arrival at the hotel and exchanged currency to cover this to find on arrival my card had been charged so I incurred bank charges and had excess myr currency which meant I lost money exchanging it back to thai baht.

Comfortable room, excellant location.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

The air con

The hotel is old and without well maintenance. The air con with bad smell and the cleaniness is not meet the standard which so called a 4 stars hotel

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Superior Double or Twin Room

No sound proof because I can hear a loud noise music from the next room. Staff giving wrong information Lot of mosquitoes Mattress n pillows not comfortable I feel my skin itchy TV remote control problem

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Single Room with City View

They overcharged me for my stay. They promised to refund direct to my card n that their accounts dept would call me to confirm this. Neither happened. I will never stay there again.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

This trip gonna be my worst nightmare as I lost my Tag Heuer limited addition watch at the hotel. I bought the watch in London, March 2016. :(

Few of The café restaurant staff has excellent customer service. That's all.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

All the furniture and facilities is too old and dirty. Elevators are too limited for all passengers

The room and view is good enough as well as location. Parking is provided and FOC

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The room is not sound proof. I can hear people snoring from next room. Fairly small space for a Junior Suite. Old type safe so can't fit in laptops to safe keep, the bathtub is very high, old type bathroom, whole place need refurbishing (old type hotel), the additional bed requested was very uncomfortable as hubby could feel the metal Spring underneath. Too many high stairs as entrance, not suitable for old people, or people recovering fr operation to climb stairs

Like that the location is near the hospital that we visited. There's kettle, water and fridge, comfortable bed linen & pillows. Junior suite had a small sofa, make up table, writing table and two extra chairs. Good space for 2-3 people.

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room attendant was bad. Very late to clean our room even we already call them to clean it for many times. And it happened everyday during our stay.

Location is good.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

the stairs to the lobby is too high, not appropriate for patients. Finding food at night could be a challenge if you have some alergic.

We got a junior suite room, and the room is big enough for 3 persons. It's closest hotel to Penang Adventist Hospital

• Superior Double or Twin Room

it's an old hotel. their goods are rusty, plus the staff didnt clean well. hair dryer attach to the wall has 1 inch thick of dust

Location is superb. just across Adventist hospital which we have to go back n forth

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Overall the hotel is old ... think they need to refurbish or renovate..humm they might want to consider shuttle bus services to central georgetown...

The service from the front desk are good. Room is comfortable.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Breakfast quality not really good. Hair dryer in the room need to change (not working well). Bed not really comfrtbl, very hard& thin also the extrabed. Very Noisy at night till morning (next to club i think). Wifi not working at all in the room.

Location closed to Adventist hospital

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Single Room with City View

Firstly, i got a single room which not satisfy me at all..tv on the coffee maker cabinet..like seriously u put on the cabinet!but thanks god hotel managemnt give me a new room which much2 btter. Breakfast;i think not worth to pay anyway u can get btter food outside nearby

Cleanliness of the room,aircond well functioning,housekeeping service

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The main entrance with the steep stairs is not easy to access, especially with luggage. When I called housekeeping about the lack of slippers, they said that was a chargeable item even though it was listed among the complimentary amenities. They also forgot to replace the towels when the room was cleaned the next day. Wifi reception was very poor. Hotel is old, needs refurbishment if they keep the 3-star label.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

-Clubs next door very noisy -Some gang members wandering on the streets are scary -Parking space very small -Not safe during the nights -Receptionist gave us the wrong room, had to go down few times to change the room and not even the word sorry from them. -Looks very old -One of the two tv not working -Lift takes forever -Receptionists gave wrong information to parking. Had to move my car to another parking basements. -Bad and scary

The room was great The city view

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Single Room with City View

Internet did not work in my room and was very slow in public areas. The bar was not open as published. The pool was small and always seemed in the shade. Breakfast was average - much better in the small shopping centre next door. Room service stops at 11:30 pm and the bar was closed before that.

The room was comfortable with good shower etc. The lifts worked well with never very long to wait. Location was good with easy access to Gurney Malls and nightlife. Taxis / buses were easy to get for further travel. Helpful and friendly staff. Internet (slow) and printing facilities in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

TV remote control malfunction, loud music coming from another guest's room at 12 midnight and at dawn time 5:30am disturbed my sleep. Hotel management should eject inconsiderate guest from hotel

Room, clean and comfortable

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel need to be upgraded now it's look like one star hotel or maybe the management need to learn more how to improve not just think to get easy money but the end lost customers

Hotel show good photo and view but the truth the condition totally different, conditions very bad as my experience in hotel industry for most 28 year. This hotel really bad now I believe all berjaya group hotel chain is the same

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bed not comfortable ... I think better change with the new, because i feel too hard about the bed And about the carpet , it's very dusty ... I have allergy with dust, so i can't stop to sneezing

The toilet it's clean , and the location very easy to use bus to go anywhere

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The poor state of the carpet in the room n the general cleanliness of the room. Basic needs like small towel, sleepers n iron not available.

Is just across the road to the hospital where i went for medical check up.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Single Room with City View

The building is old & small.. carried 2 large luggage and there's only stairs and no staff wanted to help.. housekeeping enter the room without knocking or ring the door bell but complained about it.. It's quite expensive for the hotel for its facilities & location, you could get a better price than this.. There's quite a few tour agent arriving that day and the lobby packed with people..

The location near to all the shopping malls in gurney

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Single Room with City View

More regular checks for common toilets at the conference room level; eg replenish toilet paper.

Friendly staff - chef@cafe; doorman; counter staff. Pleasant and helpful!

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Single Room with City View

Perhaps the toilets especially in the conference room levels could be checked on regularly basis; as some cubicles ran out of paper.

Hotel staff were friendly. though busy, they made sure they follow-through requests.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Superior Double or Twin Room

the staff are so bad. the receptionist were not friendly. me as customer are afraid to ask question. management should give a good training towards the receptionist. the bil also didnt explain about the tax in good way, very fierce. please do something about this and take action. otherwise your hotel will get bad reputation.

trolley boy are good. and also the malay guy at cashier.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

The hotel is bit old, need refurbishment. Toilet / washroom need refurbishment as well. Choice of buffet spread is limited, i would recommend eating outside

Room service was good

Horrible service. Had to wait 12 hours or more for getting even water bottles to the room. Rooms were old and had stains on bedding.

F&b.room service menu very limited.i order 4 fried rice and the chicken very smiley

• Standard Room

Facilities& cleanliness also very not comfort and too dirty.

• Family Room

The cleaning staff knock on our door at ard 9am for room cleaning while we r stil sleeping in our room

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The only negative point is you could hear the next door bathroom water draining off the water pipe.

Browse Berjaya Penang Hotel (formerly known as Georgetown City Hotel) traveller photo gallery