Reviews of Cititel Penang 4 stars

66, Jalan Penang, 10000 George Town, Malaysia

#62 of 132 hotels in George Town

Based on 2000 hotel reviews

i found my stay very satisfying

i have no complain.

breakfast was very, very nice . i could find all my favorite dish (juices, food, croissants and coffee with milk etc) . bed was comfortable. there are slippers in the room. i could iron my dresses. and the best is free wifi.

Love this hotel. Worth every ringgit.
    • Deluxe Double

Wi-Fi password gets forgotten quickly - keying it in gets a little tedious after a while.

Super-luxurious experience. Customer-centric to the extreme. The reception was able to answer every question fully and fulfill every request swiftly. Room service is 24 hours per day. Rooms are generously equipped.

Convenient & Comfortable City Hotel

Its time to change the bedding? Quite old furniture.

Walking distance to famous eateries! There is prayer mat available for Muslim guest. Sauna, Steam Room & Pool are well maintained.

Overall a pleasant experience.
    • Deluxe Twin

Room lights too dim. Bath room too small. Basin area little place to put accessories. Toilet paper poor quality.

Good location, central. Building structure pretty good. Good service from staff. Nice big reception area with seats.

Staff were very friendly , nothing ya too much trouble for...
    • Deluxe Twin

The carpet n the room us too dark n there wasn’t enough light in the bathroom .

Staff were very friendly , nothing ya too much trouble for them except for the sales lady in the small shop . She was rude !!! When I asked if I could open the packaging of the sarong she rudely said I could not try it! I didn’t ask to try !!

Too expensive for what they offer...need to update their rooms.
    • Superior Double

I requested for breakfast to be included ...when I arrived I had to pay extra when I felt for the price I was paying if should have been included. I’m Canadian, and I wasn’t happy with how the Asian people swarmed me in the resteraunt and in the common areas, they have no personal space. The bed was uncomfortable to sleep in. While having a shower in the tub, I felt it was a slipping hazard due to no safety handles when entering or exiting the tub. I wanted to view my own movies from my personal hard drive but the TV was too old to allow me. Most other modern hotels have newer TVs.

Free access to a computer and printer if needed. Great exercise gym.

Hotel staff blamed booking.com for making a mistake
    • Standard Twin

Booked my hotel through booking.com because i had a court case to attend the entire day of 26jun (office hrs) and my flight is booked at 1955hrs from Penang airport. I had made a late checkout time request of 6pm and I got the email stating that my late checkout was confirmed by Cititel with no extra charge. I rushed back to the hotel around 1pm to freshen up and attend Penang high court again for a 2:30pm case and Guess what? My room card was deactivated at 2pm. Packed all my things with me and left. After showing reception my confirmation email of late checkout they insisted that booking.com made a mistake. I had no time to argue so I left to court with my packed bags.

The location of the hotel

Helpful staff, clean comfortable rooms and great views from the upper floors.
    • Standard Double

Smoking is allowed on some floors so specify a non-smoking room if you are a non-smoker.

Excellent location on the edge of the old town. Although the interior of the hotel is a bit dated the rooms are very comfortable and clean with good soundproofing. There is a small gym with well maintained equipment. Highly recommended.

Fantastic Hotel
    • Superior Double

Excellent, well trained staff. The best breakfast spread that I have had in Malaysia, and the best trained staff that I have experienced in Malaysia. Clean, quiet and comfortable.

Not up the expectation.
    • Deluxe Double

Stayed for one night at the hotel during raya. The security lady saw me taking out my begs from my car however she did not offer any helps. Not even a smile. My wife walk in to reception counter and i went to park my car. The car park staff was smoking while asking me to pay RM4. This also happen during check out. Then i went to lobby nobody asking for for assistance. Finally one bellman approached. While check in the guy only mention the room number and my room doesn't include breakfast other facilities i think he have no idea. Then we when up to the room. The room carpet were dirty and dusty. we did not complaint further as we are tired driving from Melaka. The room air cond temperature was not cold. The room comes with fans. No plug point to charge our phone near bed. My wife got the itchiness due to carpet was not properly vacuum and full of dust. Next day we call operator to check on breakfast price and i am so surprise that i unable to enjoy the breakfast due to my booking is only for room and not for breakfast even after i said you can charge to my room or i can pay directly at the counter. She ask me to check at booking.com and amend my booking. So i decided not to eat at the hotel. No valued for money.

Good hospitality from duty manager Soon Hock
    • Deluxe Twin

Location. And special credits to Soon Hock who welcomed me back warmly and gave assistance when I needed umbrella and breakfast; and he also checked if my room was okay. Thanks for the great hospitality Soon Hock!

can't sleep , the club upstair are too noisey
    • Deluxe Twin

eveything's ok except there is a club located on the same building as the hotel, they didn't mention it in booking.com

Location just right at the city Center.
    • Superior Twin

Carpark very limited. Cleanliness need to improved. Food is limited

Location just right at the city Center. You are strategically located and conveniently going anywhere

Great experience and wonderful stay
    • Standard Double

Bathtube design not good, water flow out during shower that wet the floor

Good and professional staffs, very good hospitality. Ideal location for tourist who like to explore Penang. Spacious lobby with good restaurants.

food very horrible, ordered mushroom soup it was horrible ,...
    • Deluxe Double

food very horrible, ordered mushroom soup it was horrible , nasigoreng was okd stock cooked yesterday no taste and expensive also i will never recommend this hotel

The location is convenient to find local food and...
    • Standard Double

The room and toilet is a bit outdated need to be up grade, requested a none smoking room but still smell cigarette.

The location is convenient to find local food and attractions

The location is fantastic.
    • Deluxe Double

The only issue we had was our key card did not work on multiple occasions. While the staff did everything to help it got frustrating when we got back from somewhere at night and were not able to access the room. After the fourth time, they changed our room. The maintenance staff let them down.

The location is fantastic. Close to everything. You can walk to most places. Front desk staff were excellent - friendly and very helpful. Breakfast was good. Service staff remembered what you liked to drink which means they paid attention to your needs. Very impressive.

As a four star hotel, I would expect Cititel has a gym with...
    • Standard Double

As a four star hotel, I would expect Cititel has a gym with squat rack or at least Smith machine.. and also the incline bench.. Really too limited choices for weight lifting but not cardio lover like me

Not best but ok than other hotel in Georgetown
    • Superior Double

I just don't like For the service booking online Its not available sometimes Also different Prix

Not best but ok than other hotel in Georgetown Staf friendly

Convenient - in the north end of Georgetown city
    • Standard Double

The room air-conditioner is not cold and had to rely on the ceiling fan. Room furniture is dated Bathroom needs a makeover.

Convenient - in the north end of Georgetown city Ample parking

Location was good.
    • Standard Double

Location was good. Friendly staff. The staff was very proactive and also agreed to my request of extending one of my rooms till 3pm as we had a late evening flight without the need to pay. The hotel staff also recommended me to go Level 3 to take a quick shower on the last day when we are back to the hotel after some shopping even though we had already check-out. They even given us some paper plates, forks and spoons when my brother was having a belated birthday celebration as we bought a cake for him. Overall,I was very impressed with such a good service from this hotel. I will definitely recommend all my friends to stay in this hotel.

...........................sad
    • Standard Double

The Front Service was not as good as last time. The Room was not cleaned compared to before.

Japanese Restaurant in the Hotel is very Good!! And also the Location is Good.

A great welcome to Penang
    • Superior Double

Carpets getting a little tired in the rooms, A/C quite noisy and only two free sockets - perhaps a freshen up is needed?

Well appointed rooms with extremely comfortable beds. Staff were very helpful and friendly and the service was of the highest order. Delicious breakfast - vast selection to cover every taste. Well sited in the centre of town and close to Penang's attractions.

Excellent location and friendly, reliable staff.
    • Standard Double

This was my third time to stay at this hotel. The staff here are friendly and reliable that I would want to come back again. I really like the free drinks (flavored waters and drinking water) available at the lobby!

Cannot compare with cititel Mid Valley. Overall so so only.
    • Standard Double

The room floor not really clean, the room/bathroom a bit old style design.

Center of Penang heritage area. Near to food stall, convenience shop, walking distance to komtar and Perangin Mall Breakfast buffet is excellent, i like the dim sum so much

Location was perfect, walked almost everywhere.
    • Standard Double

The toilets needs to be upgraded. Lots of wear and tear signs.

Location was perfect, walked almost everywhere. Room was very clean and nice. Very comfy beds. Although a little small, didnt matter as we were most of the time outside.

Excellent Staff!
    • Standard Twin

Old worn out look of the rooms. Carpet is age old. Bath tub had black marks on the base. Shower curtain was yellowed with use. The toilet wasn't clean when we checked in. The view from the room was very ordinary. The pictures online are misleading.

Excellent Staff! Main cafe food especially the Dimsums and pao at the breakfast buffet. Great location.

A good room was given this time.
    • Deluxe Double

Location and nice view from my room. Good job to Michelle who welcomed me back friendily; she acknowledged that I'm a return guest and has given me a good room. Appreciate that!

4 stars stay
    • Standard Double

Room is less soundproofed. I was unable to sleep due to foot steps heard from above room.

The room is cozy, comfortable, and good. The air conditioner work very well. The toiletries provided are as required by travellers.

I am happy
    • Standard Twin

When i on the aircond there was some kind of irritating sound came out from somewhere. I was in room 0829 corner room attached. During breakfast there was nobody at roti jala and waffle counter. I have waited until i finish my breakfast. That was at 0815 am.

The breakfast buffet was good.

Pleasant and relaxed
    • Standard Twin

The distance from lobby to restaurant. ( Because I have immobility to walk so far)

The staffs is friendly and helpful plus they put you at ease. Feel like family.

It was an enjoyable, relaxing and happy stay. Our appreciation to your staff members.
    • Standard Twin

We would have enjoyed our breakfast much more if there were bacon n pork. Good if hotel could also provide face towels in rooms. Nevertheless my family n I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at your property.

Staff were extremely polite n helpful, especially with enquiries on directions. Very prompt in attending to our needs too. Keep up the good image. Will certainly recommend Cititel Penang to relatives n friends. Will definitely return for a re-visit.

Fantastic

Nothing much

The sales team was excellent and service provide was fantastic. Mr Abu from banquet was a darling and a excellent person. Did everything to his ability to assist me in all my request

Good hotel in Penang

that was not the case

The hotel very modern. Clean, good size room My room in tue 8 level with ocean view. Every day free 2 bottle of water, fast internet. The hotel staff friendly and helpfull.

location is great.
    • Superior Double

location is great. if you would like to take the penang free shuttle bus, it isjust almost oppositeof the hotel. The station is named as hotel's name, CITITEL PENANG, located in front the hawker centre. Walking distance to the famous roti canai chicken, beef soup,cendol. right end of road is famous KOMTAR TOWER. early check in is allowed when it is available, which really do me a big favour due to taken earliest flight.

We loved to stay here
    • Standard Double

I am In doubt the room carpet cleanliness No kids facilities

Bed comfy and bed sheet very soft Banana fruit provided my husband and child love it Nice view from the room can see the sea Feel Safety to stay here

Good stay
    • Superior Double

Great location of the hotel. Walking distance to most ofthe historical place. Most important is the street food. But don't go looking for street food on Monday. Most of them is taking a break on that day. Best is Friday and Saturday.

Not too satified.
    • Standard Double

The staff were not so pleasant, they debited by debit card without checking how to do deposit with debit card. I have to wait for 14 days to get my money back to my bank account.

Overall not bad. But need much improvement for the room.
    • Standard Twin

The bed was extremely poor!!! Sleep until we got terrible backache on the next morning. Besides, the room was full of dusk and caused us had a heavy flu!!! Gentle reminder…Time to change new beds for the rooms and the cleanliness can be improve still. Hope that I can see some improvement in the future time. Thank you.

The breakfast was OK and I liked the croissant much!! The Chinese Pau was delicious(This was a compliment from my kid)!! Overall...the food, the environment, the services were all good in Cititel!! Thanks Cititel for the goods!

Mediocre hotel, better options for your money in Penang.
    • Standard Double

Very outdated, walls dirty, AC not working properly, mold in the bathroom, etc. Each day buses of Chinese tourists unload into Cititel and yell at each other across the lobby and down the hallways at all hours of the day.

Location was great! Easy walking distance to everything. Nice, helpful staff.

Location is good, front desk staff is helpful
    • Standard Twin

Key card need to be update every time even didn't place with any magnesium and room carpet not clean like before, maybe previous stay was upper floor

Location is good, front desk staff is helpful

Excellent location but room needs upgrading real soon
    • Standard Double

1) Requested for settlement of room charges in cash at the property, they charged to my credit card instead. 2) Was put on a low floor (Level 7). That floor was dedicated to large tour group. It was noisy, the floor smell of smoke (despite it being non-smoking). Could not get into the elevator for 20 mins to get to the lobby as the big tour group was checking out. 3) Rooms in need of upgrading soon, very dated. No power points at bedside for charging of mobile devices.

The location was great, front office staff, concierge & housekeeping crew were great. View of the room was great, over looking the sea even on low floor.

Overall, my family are I are happy with our stay at the Hotel. We definitely will stay here again.

Refill of foods during breakfast should be faster instead of keeping us waiting for more than 15 minutes. The sambal for nasi lemak was very hot.

The hotel is located at a strategic location where foods and shopping are within walking distance. The room is clean and facilities are adequate. Breakfast spread is just nice.

Nice experience.
    • Superior Double

Large, clean and comfortable room. Nice view from the 17th floor where we were allocated. Very friendly staff and a good breakfast buffet. Just a few steps far from the amazing Red Garden Food court .

Overall an excellent stay at a hotel with excellent facilities, and excellent staff.
    • Standard Double

Some of the international guests were very noisy in the passageways of our (Standard Room) floor, even after 11.00 pm. They seemed unconcerned about the other guests who may be trying to sleep. We had a couple of minor issues with facilities in our bathroom, but after reporting them they were rectified that day. A lounge which was offered to us as an area to entertain some local friends for an hour or so smelt strongly of cigarette smoke, although the facility was clean and modern.

Rooms were comfortable, breakfast was outstanding for choice & quality, and the common areas were generally excellent. The lobby staff were always helpful and friendly, especially when we arrived back at the hotel after a day out & about.

Awesome!!
    • Standard Double

The 1st day breakfast I had was Nasi Lemak. The rice not cook well. The sambal tasted a bit sour. The rest was excellent.

The starategic location, warm and friendly staff.

Nice, clean and comfortable hotel to stay a few nights in penang
    • Standard Double

The only thing we were not happy about was the smoke smell in a smoke free floor.

The hotel is nice located, very clean, staff was friendly and the restaurants near by are great. we has 3 nights in the hotel and we think its a good and comfortable place to stay.

Good location and CAT free shuttle bus stop opposite.
    • Deluxe Double

I ate in the main restaurant one evening and my meal was average as was my room service meal. The bathroom light isn't bright enough and the rooms are a little drab but are comfy.

The Japanese restaurant was excellent as was the Sunday buffet.

overall are good and clean. room light need to change to bright a bit
    • Superior Double

Room light too dark and look so old and not comfortable.

The room is huge and big but need improvement on the room light cause is too dark to me especially the bathroom lighting. Prefer bright light due is look like new all the time.

Okay for short stay.
    • Standard Double

WiFi was not good connection, only 2 devices per room allowed, so make it hard when you have 2phones and a tablet. The towels was sometimes torn, the bedsheets was not completely white, had spots here and there. After shower water runs thru the bathroom

The bed was comfortable, good to have a water cooker with tea and coffee, everyday 4 bottles of free water. Tv channels with actual movies. Nice decoration on bed when we arrive.

Good Location
    • Superior Double

1.Aircond not so cool...Luckily inside room have ceiling fan 2.No bathtub inside room...During booked using Booking.com,it's have an icon showing that the room have bathtub.Unfortunately,not same with actual condition 3.Slippery floor inside bathroom

1.Variety food during breakfast 2.Good location where most of tourist area within walking distance

Excellent environment, excellent staff and basically the...
    • Standard Twin

Will be good if they can change the ageing shower curtain and refurbish the washrooms a little, and perhaps add more lighting

Excellent environment, excellent staff and basically the room was great

Good Experience
    • Standard Double

Not much but the hotel seems old and no usb cable is provided in the room

The location is very near to the town. You can walk in to Sup Hameed in 3-5 minutes from the hotel

Location is within walking distance from the various food outlets and market bazaar.
    • Standard Double

Had the buffet dinner, the selection was ok but was disappointed with the cold hot food and only two selection of fruits.

The rooms very clean and bed comfy and staff very friendly.

A superb, central location.
    • Standard Double

Location of this hotel is just superb! Its close to the heritage sites, the famous Line Clear Nasi Kandar restaurant, the equally famous Penang Road Teochew Cendol, and shopping areas. Staff are friendly, the room was comfortable and clean, and we had an overall pleasant stay. I must add that the Mee Goreng Mamak I ordered from room service was lip smackingly good! Definitely will stay here again on my next trip to Penang.

Prices quoted on Bookings.com were not matched..plus all the tax and government fees...
    • Standard Double

BED hard as rocks, room dirty, carpets stained, inner bedding donna stained. Bathroom hand basin tap, water flow minimal as was the bath drain very slow to empty.

Buffet breakfast staff in this area excellent. Undercover parking. View from room lovely..overlooked sea and part of town. Security good.

A trully Stay in Cititel.

Rooms are little small.

The front office staff snd resrvations very friendly and helpful.A receptionist lady by tge name of Ms Dou has been very kind to assist me on the phone regarding your hotel location and facilities.She has explain excellently on few informationa and questions given.A warm and friendly welcomed from her and the staff.Our rooms haslv been upgraded.Food and breakfast abd staff were superb.Varities of choice, my polish friends get the chance to enjoy the delicious penang cuisine.

Relaxing and comfortable
    • Standard Double

No shaver in toiletries. My other hotels are with this facility. So I didn’t bring one. Had to look for it at last minute. Not a big issue but felt disturbing my plan.

Location is strategic. Nice view from hotel room. Facilities are good.

Hotel location is near to most food eatries.
    • Superior Double

Wifi a lil slow, water of the pool smells fishy and they should extend the closing time for the gym and pool.

Hotel location is near to most food eatries..

The rooom is smelly.. for smokers may not be an issue..
    • Superior Double

My room.. i was forced to accept the smoking room (i m not smoking) because was told only twin single bed is available on non smoking room.. The ciggy smells nearly caused me to check out..

The breakfast was good..

It was fun when you are with your loved ones enjoying what the island has to offer.
    • Deluxe Double

The food at the buffet breakfast that was offered at MYR41-MYR44 could be upgraded and the management should put more variety food at the buffet counter as the one presented and served was way below the price offered. It merely looked as if the buffet was at RM18 -RM25max.

The location of Cititel Hotel was convenience as it was close by to the well talked about 'Penang Street Art' plus the Grab Services around the island was outstanding for which one don't have to wait too long time to get from one place to another.

Good Hotel

Almost no regrets

Nice view from level 19 can view seaside. Location also near to Padang Kota & Nasi Kandar Line Clear. Can get good food around here.

Very pleasent Stay
    • Deluxe Double

This is a very good hotel in a good location. The free of charge CAT Bus for inner George Town is just 100 meter from the hotel. Rooms are very clean. Friendly staff in the whole hotel. Absolute amazing Breakfast Buffet with huge variety of different food - very tasty.

Staff are friendly and helpful.
    • Deluxe Double

The wifi connection was very weak and also we kept being disconnected. Although hotel staff staff tried to reset, it still didn't work.

Staff are friendly and helpful.

Overall, a nice hotel to stay with.
    • Superior Double

The security key system is too sensitive. One's need to retype at the front office counter to get it update after in contact with hand phone. Personally feels, this cause a hindrance to the in-house guests. I have travel widely and do not encounter any problems with others hotels managing the security key. It's high time the hotel re-look into this problem and keep this hassle-free to the guest staying at Cititel Penang.

The extra bed was comfy. However, compliment fruits was only given the very first check-in day. The rest of the stays no more compliment fruits which I feel is not right !

Overall..I am very happy with stay. The experience was good n pleasant.
    • Standard Double

The pillow too soft. Also in my extended half day stay..I was unable to get into lift due card not validated n I was not awared.

The bed was big n comfy except pillow is too soft and both my partner n myself had stiff neck when woke up in the morning. Glad there was an extra pillow in wardrobe n we had comfort sleep for new few days stay. I like the view from the room 820. It is beautiful. During our checked in we also had a surprised muffin cake and complimentary hotel voucher for next booking stay within 6 mths for its 20th a anniversary

Good hotel for not big money
    • Deluxe Double

Small swimmingpool - can't usewith baby.

Big room, nice staff, close to indian restaurants, baby cot (baby bed). Very good view on the sea! Good cleaning services and good WiFi.

Very polite and friendly staff, good cleaness, no bad smell
    • Deluxe Double

Lighting in the room, too dark to read newspaper or handphone, But too clare if i lay on bed to watch tv, make eyes uncomfortable due to its lighting design.

Very polite and friendly staff, good cleaness, no bad smell

Nice for food experiences in Penang
    • Superior Double

It also provide shuttle bus to the penang bridge run so we took it but it was not what we expected. We ended up so far away from the venue and was so early, we walked for at least 5 km before arriving to the venue 2 hours too early.

Room was cozy and small. Bed was very comfortable. Lobby was clean and beautiful. Perfect location we walked around the city for no problems. It is so near with all the amazing food penang have to offer. I just love it.

Great satisfaction
    • Deluxe Double

Car park too narrow and some cars parked at places where not suppose to that make the access even worst.

1. Good service with a warm smile 2. Good ambience 3. Good location; easy access to local food and main attraction around

Don't go to Penang, very old, no infrustructure, stay 2...
    • Deluxe Double

Don't go to Penang, very old, no infrustructure, stay 2 nights maximum, see the Entopia, but nothing else, don't go to the Upside Down Museum, don't go to Tropical Spice Garden. There is nothing to see.

Our Son died when we were there. Receptionist went extra mile to help us book flights home.
    • Superior Double

Would have preferred outside pool. No where to sit outside.

The staff were wonderful. Excellent breakfast. No comfy seats to sit in Lobby. Inside Pool.

• Deluxe Double

I came to penang for short vacation with my family and we booked 2 rooms at cititel. The room was very clean and comfirt enough for us(we request for connected room). Very satisfied with the breakfast, they served variety of food and delicious too. And the stafs are very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is in center of town so there is no problem to find place to shops and food.

Room is perfect after refurbished but other facilities outdated.
    • Deluxe Double

Swimming or what the staff called ‘jacuzzi pool’ is too small, thus crowded with children, not sufficient for guests who want to relax by the pool. And the floor was slippery

The room is nice and cosy, and the location is perfect

Always happy at this hotel and confident of helpful staff assistance.
    • Standard Double

That we couldn't stay longer!

Staff were always helpful with any needs we had. We have stayed here several times previously and it is now our preferred Penang Hotel. Great Tailor in ground floor near restaurant. Love the pool and gym.

Browse Cititel Penang traveller photo gallery